Foreign RN searching for a job in NYC

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 65)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Joyce in Shafter, California

67 months ago

Tali4ka in Maale Adumim, Israel said: Hello everyone!!!
I am a registered nurse, with BA, currently employed in Israel. 28 years old, single, no children.
I have 6 year experience working in surgical department and running an outpatient occupational clinic.
I have passed the NCLEX exam and all english exams and now searching for a job! Interested in relocation to NY. I belive I need a sponsorship in order to get h-1b visa.

Can anyone help me with that? Advice? Job offers?

I'm a hardworker, low maitenance kind of person who needs a job.

Thank you in advance!!

Retrogression is still in effect, preventing any immigration of RN's. Due to the poor economy in the USA, hundreds of RN's are getting laid off, and new RN graduates are not finding jobs. The USA no longer has a shortage of nurses. Go to allnurses.com for more info

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Tali4ka in Maale Adumim, Israel

67 months ago

"The national nursing shortage could reach 500,000 by 2025, as many nurses retire and the demand for nurses balloons with the aging of baby boomers, according to Peter Buerhaus of Vanderbilt University Medical Center."

This is from an article written on march 7 this year.
Link: allnurses.com/nursing-news/nurse-shortages-have-375673.html

"The USA no longer has a shortage of nurses"???
I don't think so... The shortage is international and getting worse every month.
Instead of rewarding the nurses and by that attrackting more to the profession - nothing changes.
I would have left this business a long time ago, like many of my friends did, but I love this profession too much.

Any ideas as to how long will the retrogression take? Because it has been more thn 2 years already I think... Isn't it enough?...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Joyce in Bakersfield, California

67 months ago

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

Tali4ka I don't want to disappoint you but here is another thread just posted today from a nurse who can't find a job in New York: allnurses.com/general-nursing-discussion/new-grad-new-378262.html

Hospitals are claiming nursing shortages so they can increase the number of H1B visas.It is a political strategy as hospitals like H1B nurses. Foreign nurses have a contract and work under a type of bonded servitude, so are unlikely to complain about unsafe pt to nurse ratios and lack of pt. safety. If you look at the number of RN's in this country compared to the actual number of nurses working as RN's you will realize there is not a nursing shortage, just a lot of nurses fed up with the working conditions. Nurses are now fighting H1B visa's as it is the only way working conditions and safe nurse to pt ratios is going to improve. It's a supply and demand economic situation: by flooding the market with an unlimited number of foreign nurses keeps wages low, and promotes unsafe working conditions. President Obama is also against the lifting of retrogression as he feels we need to employee and retain our nurses first.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Tali4ka in Ramat Gan, Israel

67 months ago

I understand that. However I personaly woudn't mind working in any conditions no matter how poor. As long as I would be working! Before the retrogression I was offered a minimum wage job in a hospital and I agreed. Who knew that it will take so long for the retrogression to end!! Now I am willing to work anywhere and in any conditions. Frustrations had reached it's new highs...
If Obama is going to wait until all US nurses have jobs they are happy with before allowing anyone else to come - it will take years.
Seems a little unfair. I can understand if they wouldn't allow anyone to start the immigartion process NOW, but people like me, who are one step away are just being abused by the sistem.
There are hundreds of nurses in my situation. We have been wating for over 2 years after paying all the fees and passing all the exams.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

I can understand your dream of coming to America! But poor working conditions affect patients--there is a correlation between increased pt deaths and poor working conditions.
Nurses are trying to improve working conditions as it means less malpractice, less liability and most importantly, less pt deaths. But when RN's are hired that are desperate to come to America and will work under any conditions, it sabotages our efforts. And as I said before, there is not a nursing shortage, but a shortage or nurses who are willing to work under poor working conditions. We have TONS of licensed RN's here--many of our new grads as well as experienced RN's are unable to find work. But our nurses here are "being abused by the system" when hospitals hire foreign RN's instead of offering safe pt to nurse ratios. The schools overseas are running scams to make money cranking out students who many NEVER get a job! Their government needs to shut them down!
And I hope you didn't agree to work for minimum wage as an RN here!
Have you thought of trying Canada?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Tali4ka in Jerusalem, Israel

66 months ago

Joyce in Bakersfield, California said: I can understand your dream of coming to America! But poor working conditions affect patients--there is a correlation between increased pt deaths and poor working conditions.
Nurses are trying to improve working conditions as it means less malpractice, less liability and most importantly, less pt deaths. But when RN's are hired that are desperate to come to America and will work under any conditions, it sabotages our efforts. And as I said before, there is not a nursing shortage, but a shortage or nurses who are willing to work under poor working conditions. We have TONS of licensed RN's here--many of our new grads as well as experienced RN's are unable to find work. But our nurses here are "being abused by the system" when hospitals hire foreign RN's instead of offering safe pt to nurse ratios. The schools overseas are running scams to make money cranking out students who many NEVER get a job! Their government needs to shut them down!
And I hope you didn't agree to work for minimum wage as an RN here!
Have you thought of trying Canada?

Canada is not for me. I want to get tp America because I love it, not because I want to go just anywhere. I have lots of friends there and visited many times, so I fell inlove with the country.
So another coutry wasn't a consideration.

After coming such a long way, waisting so much time, money and nurves, you really just want to get somewhere with it and see results. That is why it's so frustrating.

However, I always hope for the best. Hopefully the crisis will pass and everything will turn out ok.

Thank you for the info. If you'll hear anything useful and important - please write!

Good luck and all the best!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

ligaya101 in Hurstville, Australia

66 months ago

Maybe a working visa would suffice while waiting for the green card. I read that HR 5924 is again up for legislative consideration. This would provide 60,000 green card visas for foreign RNs and PTs over the next 3 years. And contrary to some claims, not all foreign RNs would work for a pittance. I think it's in the immigration law that the salaries of the foreign and local RNs would be the same if immigration will push through. My salary here in Australia is ok just that I do not have a relative here. On the other hand, I have 2 professional siblings in the US; hence, my desire. I also love the American sense of equality. And having been a new grad myself it will take years before a new grad's competence to equate that of an experienced NCLEX passer. Moreover, it is the shortage of nurses that can be detrimental let alone have fatal consequences as too many nurses take on too many patients and be forced to take compulsary overtime. It's your choice if an American nurse is keen to take on all the patients and all the shifts.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

"It's your choice if an American nurse is keen to take on all the patients and all the shifts."

But it is not our choice to take these pts. when hospitals know that is all they have to do is scream nursing shortage and suddenly the floodgates open, allowing RN's to immigrate. Hospitals use this to their advantage and know that there are foreign RN's who are begging to come to this country (Hey! Not that I blame you!) If we allow retrogression to be lifted, then all our work will be undone--we will have too many nurses, which allows poor working conditions and a too high of RN to pt ratio. It's a supply and demand thing. We lose all leverage by having too many RN's. Ask for profit hospitals and they will tell you there is a nursing shortage. Ask nurses and they will say there is not a nursing shortage. If you compare how many RN's are licensed vs how many RN's are working as RN's, you will see a huge disparity. There is not a nursing shortage in America, there is a shortage or working nurses.

What really needs to be done is for all foreign RN schools to be shut down. They keep making $$$$$ cranking out RN's, promising jobs in America when there are none. Due to the current economy, most areas in America have an abundance of new grads and experienced RN's that can't find a job unless they move 2000 miles away from home. RN's are going to fight the lifting of retrogression to keep our RN's that are citizens employed, as well as to help improve working conditions and safe RN to pt ratios. And Obama will listen this time and not pass policy to benefit for profit healthcare companies.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

The H1B visa issue is even affecting foreign students that come here to study then get a job after graduation. Here is an article from Yahoo: World to US Business Schools: Thanks but No Thanks "Nishant Banore got one step closer to his dream of attending a business school in the U.S. when he received an offer of admission this fall from UCLA's Anderson School of Management. Banore, founder of I-Alive, a nonprofit that educates Indian youth about healthy living, was even more excited when the school told him he'd landed a lucrative $30,000 fellowship, a coup in an especially competitive year for B-school admissions. The Indian applicant's enthusiasm quickly waned though as he considered his job prospects in the U.S. after graduation. With limited H-1B job visas available, a shaky economic climate, and new restrictions on hiring foreign workers in the financial services sector, attending an American B-school all seemed all of a sudden too big a risk to take."

I don't blame you for wanting to move to America. We are, after all, a melting pot comprised of people from all nations. But when the economy hits tough times,it's time to cut back on immigration. And when the supply and demand has hit its peak, it's time to stop the H1B visa for that particular occupation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

O in Sunnyside, New York

65 months ago

I think that we should allow US-educated foreign nurses to work in the US. After all they graduated in the States, and it is only fair to allow them to work in hospitals that badly need them. I have friends who are nurses and were laid off, but promptly after they found another job. I have another friend who couldn't find a job as new grad in NYC, but she found a job upstate NY. My point is that there are jobs for nurses in America, but we won't always get what we want at first. Also, nurses pay a lot for taxes!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

taverne pierre cleevens in Port-au-prince, Haiti

64 months ago

hi ,i would love to tell you something and i would love you take of me so i am a soccer player and i am really good but i would love someone help me to find an H1B sponsorship job offer so that i found an H1B visa.just tell me how could you help please .i have to let you know who i was a student but for the time being i don't have any posibility to get it over that is the reson i am looking over to find a better life .so i would and any way you help me

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

Sorry, but we have too many American nurses who are unable to find jobs right now. There is no longer a nursing shortage. Our economy is in poor shape and the job market reflects that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Benedict in Bakersfield, California

64 months ago

I always believe that nursing transcends the bounderies of race, religion and beliefs. That nursing shortage shouldn't be kept at a certain level for some small groups to maintain their bargaining power for pay and benefits. This will be selfish and unsafe. We have forgotten that it is not about us, it has always been about our patients or clients and Their rights to be cared for in a safe and rightly manner. Without prejudice and politics. A nurse should be hired not because they are a nurse, but because they are qualified and has the right attitude, skills and knowledge. Competition exist so as a certain level of standards are met. A hospital should not just pick somebody because he/she is a nurse but because they are qualified. There is no american nurses or foreign nurses in nursing, there are only NURSES... for those who understand this message I am proud to be your colleague.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

tali4ka in Holon, Israel

62 months ago

rn_extradorinare in California said: STAY OUT OF THE US!!!!!

American nurses are struggling for work, signing up for unemployment! New grads cant get hired. Experienced nurses cant find work...I know I am one of them. I have sent out tons of emails, resumes, applications, phone calls, etc and I barely have anyone even respond. I have heard this over and over from other very experienced nurses. THERE IS NO NURSING SHORTAGE IN THE US!!!!! With the economy as terrible it is, RN's are grabbing any job they can find and its a freeding frenzy. I was told today that I couldnt apply for a job b/c they already had 150 applications!!!!! The hospital pulled the job posting! Agencies have told me that they havent had any work available from the hospitals in months b/c the hospitals have "hiring freezes". I even had a job posted today for 1/2 of what RN's make...it was in the teens/hr!!! That's insulting! But even at that...nurses are trying to get the jobs. This is the worst thing I have seen in over 8 yrs of nursing. I have been so frustrated, degraded, and depressed over this. Everyone thinks RN's can just go run out and get a job, but there arent any!

We do NOT need any more foreign nurses to come here and steal our jobs. American jobs for American nurses!!!!!!!

If there aren't any jobs available - there isn't anything to "steal" (!)...
People are trying to get help here and consult each other in a friendly way, so there's really no need for screaming and shouting. It won't help you eather.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Joyce in Running Springs, California

62 months ago

The problem is that the hospitals LIKE foreign nurses because they will take an overload of pts to the point it is not safe and won't complain, putting pts. at jeopardy. There has never been a shortage of nurses in the USA, but there is a shortage of NURSES working that are willing to put up with the crap of the hospitals. Look at how many licensed RN's there are here in the USA vs how many are actually working in nursing and you will see a big discrepancy.

Foreign nurses keep wages low, and working conditions poor. Hospitals love foreign nurses and will scream nursing shortage when there is none so the can open the gate to foreign nurses. We now have an abundance of RN's, and need to employ our citizens first. Nursing is about US, as we care for pts. but can't do it properly if we are sabotaged by foreign nurses that will not complain about RN to pt ratios, acuity and are afraid to call in sick and come to work sick.

We have a right to employ our citizens first over foreign nurses. How would you like it if we came to your country and took jobs away from your citizens when there were unemployed, qualified workers to fill the jobs?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

tali4ka in Ramat Hasharon, Israel

62 months ago

rn_extradorinare in California said: We dont care about "helping" and "consulting" foreigners...STOP trying to scheme to come here and take our jobs...and yes it is stealing. We dont want or need you here! WHY the hell would we want foreigners to come here and take the few jobs open when SO many US RN's CANT find work????? Get over yourself! We dont want you here!

From your way you are expressing yourself I emagine that YOU are not the one anyone would come to ask for help... of any kind. So you really should get over YOURSELF first.

If you are here not for helping or consulting, what really are you doing in a forum page called "Foreign RN searching for a job in NYC"? Trying to teach everyone how to live their lives? Or are you trying t intimidate somebody by using phrases like "We dont want or need you here!" - Woooo, scary! That's it - you have convinced me, I'll drop the whole thing now. Seriously?:))

You should learn from Joyce (the one that wrote after you) how to say what you mean to say without being insulting and appaling.
Joyce thank you for explaining kindly the situation. To answer your quastion: Naturally if the situation was reverse I wouldn't be thrilled that foreigners are coming to steal our jobs, so I do totally understand that this is how you feel.
However it isn't fair to put the blame of this whole recent crisis on the shoulders of foreign nurses. We aren't clueles. The conditions in whitch many are hired (from the people I know personally) are not any poorer then US RN's. The salary however is lower in the beginning, that is true.
I don't know where this whole situation is leading but hopefully some good will come out of it... for everyone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Nurse in Stoughton, Massachusetts

62 months ago

I agree with Joyce, not are we vested as nurses but we are also patients.

I don't believe we would be allowed to come and work in other countries while their natives nurses were collecting unemployment.

Our laws require foreign nurses to get paid the prevailing wage.

To qualify for a H1B visa you have to be an advanced practice nurse or have special qualifications. Tali4ka you do not meet the requirements for this visa, coming under this visa is FRAUD.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

While our laws do dictate that foreign nurses get paid the prevailing rate, the prevailing rate is kept low in some hospitals and communities so that American nurses won't apply. Then the hospitals claim nursing shortage, allowing foreign nurses to enter the country.

Interesting that I paid my newly licensed plumber $65 an hour (he had 2 years experience) and I used him because his buddies charged $90 an hour.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nurse in Stoughton, Massachusetts

62 months ago

Joyce in Running Springs, California said: While our laws do dictate that foreign nurses get paid the prevailing rate, the prevailing rate is kept low in some hospitals and communities so that American nurses won't apply. Then the hospitals claim nursing shortage, allowing foreign nurses to enter the country.

Interesting that I paid my newly licensed plumber $65 an hour (he had 2 years experience) and I used him because his buddies charged $90 an hour.

I agree with your assessment and my I add conditions in these places are so horrible that US nurses won't work in them. Also the foreign nurses have to stay in these places since they signed a contract.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

Read this fact sheet about some Filipino nurses that were harrassed, underpaid and horrible working conditions--when they quit they were charged with patient abandonment.

www.pnanewyork.org/articles/sentosa.html

No American nurse would work at these nursing homes because of the working conditions. So they hired Filipino RN's to use as slaves.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

tali4ka in Tel Aviv, Israel

62 months ago

Nurse in Stoughton, Massachusetts said: I agree with Joyce, not are we vested as nurses but we are also patients.

I don't believe we would be allowed to come and work in other countries while their natives nurses were collecting unemployment.

Our laws require foreign nurses to get paid the prevailing wage.

To qualify for a H1B visa you have to be an advanced practice nurse or have special qualifications. Tali4ka you do not meet the requirements for this visa, coming under this visa is FRAUD.

You cannot know if I do or don't meet the requirenments. But that isn't the point even. There are no H1B visas available right now.

The situation with foreign nurses is as with all foreign workers... (except from hightec maybe..) they are being exploited in many ways. The secret is to know the whole picture and not be naive. This is why it is important to hear what is really going on (from real people) and not what hospitals want us to belive.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Donna in College Station, Texas

62 months ago

I am a RN out of work also. I also have been putting in resumes, applications, etc with no luck. I have been doin this for months now. No jobs or not hiring!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ez in Northbrook, Illinois

61 months ago

Tali4ka....I agree with what you said. I know she as well as others are frustrated with not being able to find jobs...but she could have written things in a more friendly form.
I'm not a nurse. I'm pretty much done with all my prerequisites for the nursing program. I'm worried that by the time i graduate i won't be able to find a job. I actually work at a hospital in the lab. Some Nursing assistants that just finished school and are recent RN licence....Can not find jobs. In fact the current employed nurses are barely getting hours in.
I remember a year ago one girl said to me that nursing is a secure job. And I had to stop her... because job loss was starting to get noticeable. I knew that when people were loosing their jobs they also lost health insurance...keeping them from seeing a health proffesional. And that when all that adds up it will eventually hit the health careers...which is what is happening...job freezes for nurses.
But when the economy gets better...just want to let you know....you are welcome to this country :)

Tali4ka in Maale Adumim, Israel

61 months ago

Ez in Northbrook, thank you for being this kind and understanding;) I wish to you the best as well!

Yesterday pres.Obama spoke about the new health plan. Some sirious changes are to come. I wonder how this will effect the nursing "industry" in the US directly?... One would expect an increase in available jobs since the health services about to become more affordable to the public...

Any ideas?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

Yes, hopefully more nursing jobs will open up, but we still have thousands of American nurses that are unemployed, as well as thousands more in US nursing schools. We need to hire these people first, so don't anticipate that immigration will be once again opened up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

ligaya101 in Pyrmont, Australia

61 months ago

rn_extradorinare in California said: I need RN advice from someone in Australia? Really? I don't need to defend myself to you but you are an idiot and know NOTHING about the US economy and it's affect on RN's right now. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!!!! Your post is full of ignorance towards the RN's in the US right now and our problems with finding work and foreigners who come here and steal our jobs. YES, I am a RN BSN and I was offered $16/hr!!! YES!!! YES there are new grads all over the country who can't find any work. YES!!!! There are experienced RN's all over the country who can't find work and are signed up for unemployment. You have NO idea what you are talking about. So how about shutting up about US RN working conditions and stay out of our country so we can have a decent shot at finding work.

Hello! That is what I was saying - can you not say your piece civilly befitting a health professional (if you are one, that is?) like Ez who is barely out of nursing school. And mind you, Im not just an RN but a CNS so a $16/hr job will certainly not interest me especially given the favorable exchange rate at the moment. All Im exploring is the reasons why you rnmediocre fail to be hired - might be inherent in you so instead of making American foreign born nurses and foreign born nurse permanent residents as scapegoats look in the mirror first. I know, I interview people for our ICU ward. Never hurt to brush your teeth and apply some Rexona. Funny but I find offense in your shrewish and hysterical remarks. You remind me of a WWF wrestler with overalls and an axe. Its about time for a mental consult. Ive recently had an American pt whose wife is an American nurse - I cannot help but dwell - but she seems friendly and open. So rnmediocre behave and spruce up as well as improve your comm and clinical skills. Your $16/hr and new grad and RN jobs dont interest me. Good luck! Your welcome!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Ez in Northbrook, Illinois

61 months ago

Yesterday pres.Obama spoke about the new health plan. Some sirious changes are to come. I wonder how this will effect the nursing "industry" in the US directly?...

I know someone who is thinking about going into medical school...He believes should Obama's plan pass it will revolutionize the nurses "job responsibilities" that will eventually affect the nursing assistants. Most people are perplexed (including myself) when it gets to socialized health insurance. Right...one would think that if this plan is to help more people...then there should be an increase of patients therefore an increase demand of nurses or other health professionals.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Mary in Lake Worth, Florida

60 months ago

Lady nurse in Israel,

You can try in Florida. There are many old people. Nurses can still get jobs here, there are many New Yorkers in South Florida. I understand though, that it's not New York. Good Luck to you, I hope you can come to the States, welcome.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

From what I understand, nurses in Florida are having problems finding jobs too:
allnurses.com/general-nursing-discussion/jobs-florida-panhandle-418529.html

60 months ago

If you go to Allnurses.com and search their website for "job Florida" you will find mnay other posts where Florida nurses are unable to find jobs.

sadverysad in Worcester, Massachusetts

60 months ago

I can't find anything, and I am a US citizen. Been a nurse for 4 years and nothing.

krisrandolf in Sorsogon, Philippines

58 months ago

I am a registered nurse in US and is willing to work in the Philippines. Would anyone help me have an idea to pass the Philippine board exam?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

lai minghershey in Kowloon Tong, Hong Kong

58 months ago

krisrandolf in Sorsogon, Philippines said: I am a registered nurse in US and is willing to work in the Philippines. Would anyone help me have an idea to pass the Philippine board exam?

If you passed the Nclex what more the NLE, are you one of the people trying to make an impression that US is a hopeless place for new USRN?

Haris in Kew Gardens, New York

58 months ago

Tali4ka in Maale Adumim, Israel said: Hello everyone!!!
I am a registered nurse, with BA, currently employed in Israel. 28 years old, single, no children.
I have 6 year experience working in surgical department and running an outpatient occupational clinic.
I have passed the NCLEX exam and all english exams and now searching for a job! Interested in relocation to NY. I belive I need a sponsorship in order to get h-1b visa.

Can anyone help me with that? Advice? Job offers?

I'm a hardworker, low maitenance kind of person who needs a job.

Thank you in advance!!

hey

JULUSHKA in Brooklyn, New York

57 months ago

I graduated as an RN in NY in 2006. I was sponsored the same year and by now I have almost 3 years of experience in one of the Brooklyn hospitals. Due to the crisis my sponsoring agency lost a lot of contrats with hospitals and I got laid off. I want to swith to another employer, but is still in the process to get my green card. Anyone can help me?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

rosalind in Charlotte, North Carolina

57 months ago

I have been a nurse for 5 years. Cant find a job anywhere. Im gonna have to file for unemployment. I use to think nursing was a stable job but I wont be a fool anymore. Most new grads here cant find jobs. My RN friends are getting called off on their units and cant find secondary (agency) jobs. This is a sad time to even want to come to the U.S.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

lolat926 in Salem, Oregon

57 months ago

American nurses are struggling for work, signing up for unemployment! New grads cant get hired. Experienced nurses cant find work...I know I am one of them. I have sent out tons of emails, resumes, applications, phone calls, etc and I barely have anyone even respond. I have heard this over and over from other very experienced nurses. THERE IS NO NURSING SHORTAGE IN THE US!!!!! With the economy as terrible it is, RN's are grabbing any job they can find and its a freeding frenzy. I was told today that I couldnt apply for a job b/c they already had 150 applications!!!!! The hospital pulled the job posting! Agencies have told me that they havent had any work available from the hospitals in months b/c the hospitals have "hiring freezes". I even had a job posted today for 1/2 of what RN's make...it was in the teens/hr!!! That's insulting! But even at that...nurses are trying to get the jobs. This is the worst thing I have seen in over 8 yrs of nursing. I have been so frustrated, degraded, and depressed over this. Everyone thinks RN's can just go run out and get a job, but there arent any!

We do NOT need any more foreign nurses to come here and steal our jobs. American jobs for American nurses!!!!!!!

I cannot find a job as an RN, have 6 years experience and have been looking for a job for 9 months. The economy is so bad now, I don't know why anyone would even consider coming over here to the US at this time. I did not realize this was going on so much until I read these articles. We have so many homeless, (I many be one soon) hungry, people have lost there homes, and much more. ATTEN: Out of the country nurses: Do you all watch the news?

I am just hoping to get a job at Walmart or anywhere: and I have a nursing degree, but how long can a person go without work and no umemployment? What if I tried to leave my country now? Would I be able to find a job abroad?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

C.V. Compton Shaw in Grand Prairie, Texas

57 months ago

I am a male R.N. interested in astrology. Soon the planet Uranus will square the Planet Pluto. This is what is termed in astrology a "bad transit". For nurses, however, it may be an extremely good transit. Why? I deem Uranus (health in astrology) square (adverse transit) Pluto (extreme restriction and limitation) to mean that within the next several months that a sudden unexpected extreme nursing shortage will occur! Now, everyone is laughing and clearly making a nursing diagnosis that I am having delusions and hallucinations! Yes, it is true that the aforementioned hypothesis is highly unlikely. However, if the economy improves significantly and universal health care is enacted, there remains the reasonable possibility that the aforementioned might occur!

AndiePhilly in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

56 months ago

So glad to stumble across this page. I too am an RN with 14 years experience and not able to find a job. I am on unemployment for the first time in my life. I had worked agency for the last 10 years and didn't jump into a staff position fast enough and now there are no jobs. Most hospital websites don't even have RN job openings and the ones that do I apply too and never hear anything. I have excellent references and experience in multiple specialties. I can only imagine how many people apply to the few openings there are. I see that it's not just here in the northeast. Seems to be a widespread problem. I am a US/Canadian citizen and plan to move to Canada soon since there is an ACTUAL shortage there.
I came to the US in 1997 on a tn visa. I seriously doubt that immigration would give anyone a tn visa right now. In order for a company to sponsor someone on a visa they must prove there is no americans available to do the job.

Jan In Melbourne Australia in Melbourne, Australia

56 months ago

I am a nurse in Australia and I can understand what the nurses in the US are talking about as we have a similar situation over here. The hospitals and insurance companies have been abusing nurses for years by using them as human hoists, injuring them then throwing them away.

Nurses have been over worked and under paid for years and because employers don’t want to pay nurses proper wages they screamed a shortage of nurses. Subsequently the government passed a bill allowing Div 2 nurses to administer medications and Personal Care Attendants can also give out medications if they work in nursing homes or community care. The result is that hospitals and nursing homes are employing nurses with minimal skills to take over the jobs of qualified Div 1 nurses, because they are cheap labour.

In order to keep up the charade of a nursing shortage, employers often advertise jobs that don’t exist, public hospitals get money from the government to run return to practice programs, then pocket the money. Private hospitals and universities charge nurses thousands of dollars to do a 3 month return to practice course, knowing that the nurses will find it difficult to get a job after they are re-registered; but they don’t care because the just want the money.

Nurses who are working in the system are earning the wages of a labourer rather than a skilled professional. To top it off the cost of living is so high that most people are struggling to survive and many will never earn enough to buy a home, unless they move into small rural towns where there isn’t much work.

I am a Div 1 nurse, who was sucked in by the political lies and did a return to practice course in nursing, but can’t find a job. My sister can find work easily as she is a PCA who works in aged care. She is currently earning $16 an hour and has to look after 60 low to high care clients on her own; that is why she is quitting her job. I guess if they are going to treat nurses and PCA’s like slaves, they will e

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

I guess if they are going to treat nurses and PCA’s like slaves, they will eventually end up with a shortage of nurses and have to employ foreign people to work under these conditions, as I wouldn’t do it because I have too much self respect.

56 months ago

PS, if you don’t believe me, come over and find out for yourself the hard way. But remember I warned you. Good luck.

elnido in Patchogue, New York

55 months ago

lai minghershey in Kowloon Tong, Hong Kong said: If you passed the Nclex what more the NLE, are you one of the people trying to make an impression that US is a hopeless place for new USRN?

If you are a registered in the US, you have to contact the PRC (Professional Regulation Commission)in the Philippines,please visit their web site. Most likely you have to take extra nursing units because the Philippines has a Bachelor degree in nursing, not diploma and associate degree so they might suggest to you to take the extra units and probably take the boards or apply for reciprocity.

Former Ole Hadash in Melville, New York

54 months ago

Kol Ha Kavod... agree 100%........... Stay in Isroel

lolat926 in Mesa, Arizona

54 months ago

In Salem Oregon, there is a completely free clinic. They offer office visits for all ages, there is a lab and pharmacy there, and you can get an X-Ray too. I volunteered to work there and was accepted, but had to move back here to AZ to stay with family because I could not find a paying job there. There are only a few paid staff there, and all the rest volunteer... the docs , and all. I thought this was a great opportunity to keep up the required nursing hours and offer service to the communiyt as well.
I hate to get into politics, but if we could lower the cost of healthcare with more clinics like that, maybe we all could find jobs as nurses and would not be in this bind. I am willing to work for CNA wages just to have a job again. The only calls back I am getting for jobs are for Care Giver positions, but I can't work the hours that they need, I can only work part time. I have tried many of the hospitals in my area , nursing homes and more.
Was wondering if anybody on this site would be interested in taking our stories to the media,?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

obgyn in Mississauga, Ontario

53 months ago

I donot like your words trust me you will never find any job with your black heart you envious, I can understand from your words why they laid you off!America is for every body you racist, Got it?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

BBBBBBB in New Hyde Park, New York

53 months ago

obgyn in Mississauga, Ontario said: I donot like your words trust me you will never find any job with your black heart you envious, I can understand from your words why they laid you off!America is for every body you racist, Got it?

Why isn't Canada for everyone?

lolat926 in Mesa, Arizona

53 months ago

Yeah! I found two nursing jobs! I am working in an Assisted Living Facility, and I finally have medical benefits. And I am working per diem/prn in home health as an admission RN/Case Manager

Jennifer in Langley, British Columbia

53 months ago

There are lots of nursing jobs in Vancouver, Canada (1 hr 20min) north of Seattle and also in Toronto, ON (1 hr. 45 min hours from Buffalo, NY).Salaries are good and you get health care. Come on over ladies, we need nurses here!

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.