Average install time

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (49)

Paul in Birmingham, Alabama

74 months ago

So I'm considering taking a job as a Dish installer. I've seen the pay scale per dish/reciever, but I'd like some independent, unbiased information on how long it takes you guys to finish a typical install and how many recievers, etc is typical. (I understand that it takes longer when you're new and some guys are faster than others, but hopefully you can get me in the neighborhood).

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Paul in Birmingham, Alabama

74 months ago

Surely somebody can tell me how many homes you do in a typical day and how many receivers, etc you put in a typical home.

Anybody?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Fabiol in Gulfport, Mississippi

74 months ago

I just got hired by a dish company and it does take longer when your new. My first few installations took me 8 hours, and now i'm down to 4 hours, but they still give me only 1 to 2 installs a day. As you progress you get better and look forward to the next job. The signals can be a challenge too, but again as your progress you learn how to 'tweak' the dish. I had a good trainer who did it for 3 years and he could do an install in 2 hours, so they gave him three to four installs a day. I really dont like the job cause i was misinformed at how good the job was, but i'm in the field crawling under basements and in attics, and you have to be careful what you do especially with new houses. Some comapanies are really strict and other aren't. The one i'm with is very strict and if we go to an install with cables messed up from a previous network we have to fix them and that eats up your time and pisses you off. The company i'm with docs your pay for any screw ups they find, and they doc a percentage pay for free incase ghosts screwups. The pros of the job is use of company vehicle, respectfull customers, job experience, finish times if you finish early, high seasonal pay, and you don't have to tolerate rude customers. Cons of the job are low seasonal pay, worker connive, pay chargebacks that you don't know until payday, trouble calls that can take hours to fix, and spending 12 hours out on the field for only 2 hours of work many times. So yeah, it sucks, good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Sheerdetermination in Sheridan, Arkansas

73 months ago

As you get experienced you will get faster. Different companies do have differnet policies for their installers. I have been in the business since before there was a Direct TV or Dish Network. I have worked my butt off for nickels and dimes. Having the right equipment can make your job much easier and faster. I'd recommend 40ft of glow rods, a telescoping pole with a hook, and a magnetic wall fish. I think more than anything those specialty tools have saved me hours and hours of labor.
For example, I would take some black tape and a piece of ground wire, make a eye on the end of my glow rod, push it through a vent on one of a house all the way to the other end of the house, either by a crawl hole or another vent, then fish for it with the telescoping pole grabbing the eye on the end. When droping cables through a floor I would drop several feet under ther house and then I'd hook either with my glow rod or the telescoping rod and pull it out to me. I seldom crawled under houses.
If the company you work for requires that you put the wires in the walls you can use a flex bit to put the cable into the wall and through the base of the wall into the crawl space.
Look for the little things that save time, the money you spend on the right time saving tools will pay for themself many times over.
Also I allow my installers to charge extra for non standard installs such as wall fish, excessive attic or crawl space work. I just ask that they charge enough that I make something off the extra work also. This is fair because without me they would not be on that job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

jvanni2007 in chicago, Illinois

73 months ago

Both guys are dead on. Let me break it down a little further. 1 receiver = 1 hour, 1 Dish install= 1 hour, so 1 rcvr and 1 dish = 2 hours for one install(+/-). It averages 1 hour per room install with all new, no prewire. 10-20 minutes talking to customer to determine where her husband wants the tv hooked up. 15-30m putting the rcvr in and hooking it up to the tv and putting the batteries in the remote and programming the remote. 10-15 min accessing how to run the lines and dish placement (30 min if you have to get on a roof and use your inclinometer to point thru any obstructions). 30 min running new lines (always new never reuse old your begging for a charge back). 30-45-60 min assembling dish, placing mast, carring dish up that damn ladder with 30lbs of tools and meter, placing dish, hooking up your line to lnb, waiting 10sec for your supper sat buddy to power on, Pointing, lock down, disconnect your test line make your new lines, hook up to lnb, and the nice secure drop 9 (zips or clips) to your ground block. 5-10min connecting all your lines and making look pretty. 10-30 waiting for dish activation on the rcvr. OHH and lets not forget the 10-30 trips back to the truck because you forgot that one clip or tie or ground screw etc... 5-10 minutes for paperwork and running out of the customers house as fast as possible because your running late for your next job. I think this is a fair break down of the process at least mine. Please anyone out there that can help me be faster in any of the areas please let me know asap. All and all I calculate 1hour per 1 room install. 4 rooms = 4 hours. This layout does not include switches and additional rcvr's.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

jvanni I can tell you have done a few of these.....lol.
When the locals hit our market several years ago everyone was overwhelmed with sales (the good ol days). I took my 14yr old with me and just had him assemble the dish (while I was chatting with customer),unpack the receivers, put batteries in the remotes and hook the receiver up to the TV. If he was still ahead of me he would then have the customer look over the paper work and sign it. We averaged 4 sometimes 5 installs a day depending on drive time. I am still amazed at how time consuming unpacking receivers and putting batteries in the remotes can be.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jvanni2007 in chicago, Illinois

73 months ago

I have only been doing this a little while and I am already getting burned out. I have been in the construction installation field for 8 years and I really dont belong here. I am a pencil pusher. But no degree no big bucks. My son is 5 and I brought him with for the first time yesterday. I was hoping he would help a little but instead he suckered the customers out of candy, toys,food, and cartoons. And I think he got a little girls number??? she was 4. I guess I will be doing these by myself for a little while longer. I found having a co pilot on installs is not that much faster maybe 30 mins or so... I found that to be wierd. Maybe we were screwing around too much I dont know but I wont pay for co pilot again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

jvanni2007 in chicago, Illinois said: Both guys are dead on. Let me break it down a little further. 1 receiver = 1 hour, 1 Dish install= 1 hour, so 1 rcvr and 1 dish = 2 hours for one install(+/-). It averages 1 hour per room install with all new, no prewire. 10-20 minutes talking to customer to determine where her husband wants the tv hooked up. 15-30m putting the rcvr in and hooking it up to the tv and putting the batteries in the remote and programming the remote. 10-15 min accessing how to run the lines and dish placement (30 min if you have to get on a roof and use your inclinometer to point thru any obstructions).

BBBBllllaaaahahahahahahahahaha, your in the red bulls eye. I wish customers would read this to understand why we rush through their house, im sure i left amany offended that i didnt have time to be nice. I only replace cables if its an R59 or if they look real old, or pinched up. For example i had to replace a cable for an install because they were secured by staples which pinches the cable over time. If its got staples its coming out, other than that, if they backcharged me for not replacing cables, id go back to Labor Finders.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

jvanni2007 in chicago, Illinois said: I have only been doing this a little while and I am already getting burned out. I have been in the construction installation field for 8 years and I really dont belong here.

2BBBBlaaahahahahahaha!!! Dont take this offensively but your son is a Genius. Work on his talents, he'll be millionare before age 20.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

I agree with the co-pilot thing, I have hired others to help me and they only slowed me down. Grown men would stand there and wait for my every command.

Just a FYI minors are not covered on your insurance on the jobsite. I had an incident that cost me due to my (then) 9 yr old. Seemed innocent enough to take him with me but it cost me that time. Another time before that I had taken him on a job and the guys wife was drunk and practically attacking the boy, I couldn't hardly work for keeping her hands off him. Just be aware of the dangers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

redfish10 in Estero, Florida

70 months ago

My advise dont work for Dish. They are the worst.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Greg in Youngstown, Ohio

68 months ago

willing to work in ohio? i'll pay for hotel.
amazing routes, very tight, NO SERVICE CALLS.
email me if you want more info

greg ord, gm/directv/ne ohio
ordsway@yahoo.com

i'll train personally

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Evgeni in Northbrook, Illinois

62 months ago

Greg in Youngstown, Ohio said: willing to work in ohio? i'll pay for hotel.

ordsway@yahoo.com

i'll train personally

I am looking for that jab,in Illinois.Please help

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

settlementbob in Tucson, Arizona

62 months ago

need someone to install shaw direct satellite dish in north-west Tucson. I have the dish, receiver etc and the numbers for Tucson. Also have a satellite finder. Cash deal

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

MaxMax in Tucson, Arizona

61 months ago

settlementbob in Tucson, Arizona said: need someone to install shaw direct satellite dish in north-west Tucson. I have the dish, receiver etc and the numbers for Tucson. Also have a satellite finder. Cash deal

If you find someone would you please forward his name and number to me?

Many thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Robert in Staunton, Illinois

57 months ago

Well, I've been installing since 2005 for dish/direct tv. As far as times go I've found that you usually want to give yourself an hr per room and and half for the dish installation. That'll cover the time for the installation and for receiver setup, though customer education time may vary.

So if you have a 4 room give your can usually quote your completion time to around 4 1/2 to 5 hrs. That is unless you run into a house with pre-existing wireing or even a pre-existing satellite system then you could be in and out in two hrs.

I've spent 8 hrs on a two room install and have done a 6 room in less that 2 hrs. It all just depends on the house and the conditions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Robert in Staunton, Illinois

57 months ago

Paul in Birmingham, Alabama said: Surely somebody can tell me how many homes you do in a typical day and how many receivers, etc you put in a typical home.

Anybody?

Yeah, in a typical day I'll about three homes. Most opt for the 4 room install, but I usually get two 4 rooms and a 2 room.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Nobody's Fool in Cincinnati, Ohio

57 months ago

Basically whether it is Dish or Directv, you can figure about 1 hr per receiver, but make it about 1.5 hrs for a one receiver job. Add another 30 minutes to an hour for an HD dish.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

scott

57 months ago

(1) I have experienced all you are talking about, dedicate all your time to a local hsp as a contractor or in house it is about the same pull 80 hour weeks make $1,000. profit $500. and hope for a better week next. No matter how green the grass looks on the other side or ahead of you it is very hard (or not possible) to catch up with supplies and/or charge backs.
(2) Contract out to fulfillment companies, Ok hold a contract with all you can, hope for the best, check your e mail every hour, use cheaper supplies, if it is a dtv customer hope they don't call them with a trouble call (most likely the only notification you get is the charge back). This can work if you have the funds to start up, most hold your pay Quite some time if you receive it at all, save what you do make for off time work will come in spirits (sometimes nothing for quite some time)
(3) Finely try selling your own jobs. First most guys go straight to affiliate companies, be careful most will gladly take the sell few will pay for it. The few that work (most) all try to get their money back or steal half your sells (don't trust your promo code or their sells reps)
What Works - hold the fulfillment contracts that do you good, and find a contract that allows you to sell and install your own, one where you are completely independent. Find your groove, transform into a salesman. You will soon find out if the industry is for you or not. The money is there, it can and will work if you want it to. After 12 years in the industry I am in the position to provide a contract many guys have appreciated. therightdeel@aol.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

kirkb in Dallas, Texas

57 months ago

In Dallas/Fort Worth, averages go like this, with 6+ months experience, and some exceptions every once in a while.

1)DirecTv 4 room with HD is 2.5 hours with living and master bedroom prewired, which is likely. Dish Network is 3.0 hours because sensetive equipment to bad connectors, thus miscellanous troubleshooting likely.
2)Two-story house. Add 30 minutes to both installs.
3)No outlets at all, add 45 minutes.
4)WORST case scenario, two-story house, needs all four outlets.(including dual for DTV DVRs) total approx. 4 hours DirecTV, 4.5 DishNetwork.
5)Lastly, add 30 minutes if the customer becomes your friend.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Steve M in Punta Gorda, Florida

56 months ago

Let's be honest, Sat installers do their job because at this time there is not much out there in the way of work. I have worked for the Prime Contractor here in Florida for the last 4 years and work with out 5o in-house and 45 sub partners. There isn't one of them that wakes up looking forward to doing their job. In fact, virtually all are constantly trying to find a way out and except for putting food on the take, would almost welcome getting fired.

We do this job... and lets face it…. it IS a job not a career, because we have little choice. ca

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Bic in Tucson, Arizona

55 months ago

settlementbob in Tucson, Arizona said: need someone to install shaw direct satellite dish in north-west Tucson. I have the dish, receiver etc and the numbers for Tucson. Also have a satellite finder. Cash deal

did you find anyone yet?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

richard in west texas in Georgetown, Texas

49 months ago

I have been doing this since before small dishs. We used to get paid but now it is like we are at everyones mercy. I agree with the person above about the proper tools. That is the best time saver you have. Watch some of the companies you do service calls for. If you use your own parts and expect to be reimbursed good luck. A company out of Florida still owns me for several lnbs and service calls. They expect us to drive 70 miles one way to replace an lnb and only pay $45.00. I have talked to them many times and they are very understanding on the phone but we never receive a check. If you can find a better way to make a living do it. I had a tech quit and go to work for a cell phone company making more money and working less hours.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

RKM in Hollywood, Florida

49 months ago

I am a laid off at&t (originally bellsouth) service tech . . . I worked for the DirecTV HSP in Ft Lauderdale- Mastec Advanced Technologies, I went through the entire training (6 weeks) Went with my OJT Tech who was a service tech (so he never mounted dish's, so I never did a instal by my self). We were told to be at work for 6 am but didn't get work until 7 am, had to wait for receivers etc so wasn't actually working until 9 am (senior tech's got priority).

I left the job on my 3rd instal (I completed it though). Just wasn't worth it for me to continue (for the pay and time), and by the way Mastec makes you take the truck home and charges you $40 a week.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Matt in Danville, Illinois

48 months ago

I don't know why it takes these other guys 3-4 hours for one install...they need uptraining if they take that long on 1 job..I work for one of the leading Dish installation companies in the u.s., and I average 6 jobs daily and at least 3 of them are installs...and im going to give u the secret to my success...Motivation,Pride, and customer service.You do those three things to the fullest of your ability and the skys the limit...but you really got to want it!!...good luck!!!

Paul in Birmingham, Alabama said: So I'm considering taking a job as a Dish installer. I've seen the pay scale per dish/reciever, but I'd like some independent, unbiased information on how long it takes you guys to finish a typical install and how many recievers, etc is typical. (I understand that it takes longer when you're new and some guys are faster than others, but hopefully you can get me in the neighborhood).

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Nobody's Fool in Cincinnati, Ohio

46 months ago

Matt; That's great. The trouble I have is, I have heard it before, and whenever I got a chance, have shadowed the techs who claim they do 4 room installs in 2 hrs. Let's just say they exaggerated 100% of the time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bic in Tucson, Arizona

46 months ago

Matt in Danville, Illinois said: I don't know why it takes these other guys 3-4 hours for one install...they need uptraining if they take that long on 1 job..I work for one of the leading Dish installation companies in the u.s., and I average 6 jobs daily and at least 3 of them are installs...and im going to give u the secret to my success...Motivation,Pride, and customer service.You do those three things to the fullest of your ability and the skys the limit...but you really got to want it!!...good luck!!!

WOW! 6 jobs a day? incredible with 3 installs. You must be a sub contractor. I see work from Subs who want to do the jobs as fast as they can. I am the one going there and fixing their half ass work. yes the average install is one hour a room. activation, setting the receivers right and proper customer education is an hour. YES YOU CAN DO A 4 ROOM INSTALL IN 2 HOURS. But when you show up the previous dish install was done to proper DNS standards. And you are basically putting up a new dish and and diplexing and putting in receivers. A prewired home takes about 3 hours on a 4 room. if you run cable and wall penetration add about 30 min a room. depending on the cable run.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

TruthSayer in Eden, North Carolina

44 months ago

Matt in Danville, Illinois said: I don't know why it takes these other guys 3-4 hours for one install...they need uptraining if they take that long on 1 job..I work for one of the leading Dish installation companies in the u.s., and I average 6 jobs daily and at least 3 of them are installs...and im going to give u the secret to my success...Motivation,Pride, and customer service.You do those three things to the fullest of your ability and the skys the limit...but you really got to want it!!...good luck!!!

Sorry, but the only way to do this that fast is to just skip using the pre wiring unless its a must. Talk with the customer a breifly as possible, and have everything organized in your vehicle to a "t".

TruthSayer in Eden, North Carolina

44 months ago

Bic in Tucson, Arizona said: WOW! 6 jobs a day? incredible with 3 installs. You must be a sub contractor. I see work from Subs who want to do the jobs as fast as they can. I am the one going there and fixing their half ass work. yes the average install is one hour a room. activation, setting the receivers right and proper customer education is an hour. YES YOU CAN DO A 4 ROOM INSTALL IN 2 HOURS. But when you show up the previous dish install was done to proper DNS standards. And you are basically putting up a new dish and and diplexing and putting in receivers. A prewired home takes about 3 hours on a 4 room. if you run cable and wall penetration add about 30 min a room. depending on the cable run.

I charge an extra 40 dollars per floor for wall fishing, 25 dollars for every line routed through unfinished attics or crawl spaces. The only way to get a job done fast is no crawl spaces and no attics. Have everything organized and working like magic lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

bert in Water Valley, Mississippi

44 months ago

you sound like you've been doing this awhile which means you have QC overide.

helen108 in Charlotte, North Carolina

38 months ago

Bic in Tucson, Arizona said: WOW! 6 jobs a day? incredible with 3 installs. You must be a sub contractor. I see work from Subs who want to do the jobs as fast as they can. I am the one going there and fixing their half ass work. yes the average install is one hour a room. activation, setting the receivers right and proper customer education is an hour. YES YOU CAN DO A 4 ROOM INSTALL IN 2 HOURS. But when you show up the previous dish install was done to proper DNS standards. And you are basically putting up a new dish and and diplexing and putting in receivers. A prewired home takes about 3 hours on a 4 room. if you run cable and wall penetration add about 30 min a room. depending on the cable run.

WOW...that's a first. Dish fixing a contractor's work???? It's the other way around here. The Dish techs are worthless. They are doing the poor work and depending on the contractors to fix it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

RDP in Georgetown, Texas

38 months ago

Your right Bic. If someone is doing an install that fast he is cutting corners. Directv wants us to go out and fix these installs for a service call and pay us $45.00. I can't roll a truck and make money at that rate. What we need to do is form a union and fight them. I don't like unions but the provider are screwing us and have been for years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

gerry in Dublin, Ireland

37 months ago

i have been sky dish installer dublin ireland the last 12 years.wen we started at first me and my mate we installie 11 dish most days [summer time] one cable from lmb to sky box no fone cable them days. now its is a nitemare two cables to evry box and fone cable to every box most jobs now want invisable cables.at most is 4r5 jobs a day now

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Scott in FL.

37 months ago

Enjoy the pay from 4 or 5 installs a day (now).
If/When your Sky Dish's standards meet our Dish Network's.
Completing 4 or 5 installs a day is a story from the past ( If you take pride in your work / if you care to pass quality control inspections )

Scott in FL.

37 months ago

10 months have pasted, and I am betting your no longer installing and/or a smooth talker and moved to a disk.?Or is it you yourself have had uptraining and are now completing installs to code ? Please let us know how is 3 or 4 installs working out for you this days ?
( Well, I suppose 6 jobs and at least 3 installs may be possible, for a single man, with no family/life, and customers who do not minded you at there house past dark ). On seconds thought NO,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Scott (sub) in FL.

37 months ago

Robert in Staunton, Illinois said: Well, I've been installing since 2005 for dish/direct tv. As far as times go I've found that you usually want to give yourself an hr per room and and half for the dish installation. That'll cover the time for the installation and for receiver setup, though customer education time may vary.

So if you have a 4 room give your can usually quote your completion time to around 4 1/2 to 5 hrs. That is unless you run into a house with pre-existing wireing or even a pre-existing satellite system then you could be in and out in two hrs.

I've spent 8 hrs on a two room install and have done a 6 room in less that 2 hrs. It all just depends on the house and the conditions.[/QUOTE

Well said, Every install/service is different / in order to complete them to code it is very hard to post per job, time's or quota's these days !!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

richard

37 months ago

You keep talking about quality control but I have not seen it in the installs in the hill country of Texas. I do not do installs now except for very special clients who are willing to pay for my time. We do them in conjunction with other services like home automation, house audio systems, ect. I have lived here for 4 years and the only systems I have seen grounded are the ones we install. The wire runs are shabby and no seals on the wall penatrations. People complain about wind causing loss of signal. I can't believe it and tell them that if it was installed properly that should never be a problem. You can't do the installs we do for what your being paid because some are quite time consuming and difficult. I am not saying you don't have the skill you just couldn't make any money. If you have a chance get out of this rat race, get into home theater or home audio. If you can install sat systems you can do this with a small learning curve. Our customers are demanding but they pay for what they get unlike satellite customers that expect everything free.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

jvanni2007 in Oak Harbor, Washington

37 months ago

i posted this awhile back... its good money if you have nothing else and arent a puss...
Both guys are dead on. Let me break it down a little further. 1 receiver = 1 hour, 1 Dish install= 1 hour, so 1 rcvr and 1 dish = 2 hours for one install(+/-). It averages 1 hour per room install with all new, no prewire. 10-20 minutes talking to customer to determine where her husband wants the tv hooked up. 15-30m putting the rcvr in and hooking it up to the tv and putting the batteries in the remote and programming the remote. 10-15 min accessing how to run the lines and dish placement (30 min if you have to get on a roof and use your inclinometer to point thru any obstructions). 30 min running new lines (always new never reuse old your begging for a charge back). 30-45-60 min assembling dish, placing mast, carring dish up that damn ladder with 30lbs of tools and meter, placing dish, hooking up your line to lnb, waiting 10sec for your supper sat buddy to power on, Pointing, lock down, disconnect your test line make your new lines, hook up to lnb, and the nice secure drop 9 (zips or clips) to your ground block. 5-10min connecting all your lines and making look pretty. 10-30 waiting for dish activation on the rcvr. OHH and lets not forget the 10-30 trips back to the truck because you forgot that one clip or tie or ground screw etc... 5-10 minutes for paperwork and running out of the customers house as fast as possible because your running late for your next job. I think this is a fair break down of the process at least mine. anyone out there that can help me be faster in any of the areas please let me know asap. All and all I calculate 1hour per 1 room install. 4 rooms = 4 hours. This layout does not include switches and additional rcvr's.

Bic in Tucson, Arizona

37 months ago

Been working for dish for 3 1/2 yrs. AND I LOVE MY JOB. Month in and month out I am in the top 10% of techs. I love the people I meet. But when I goto a house the first thing I say to myself is "If this was my house how would I like it done?". Doesn't matter if someone live in a $1000 dollar trailer or a million dollar home. They all pay the same. So making sure that you do everything possible that the workmanship is perfect is key. then customer education is big. so if it takes 2 hours or 4 hours on a 2 room doesn't matter. All jobs are different just do not walk away from the job saying "I should have done this". Now for richard. I do not know how much you make but I cleared 60k working for dish and have 3 days off a week with my family. I think that is awesome because most jobs do not give me that much time for my wife and kids.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

kpeay in Barnwell, South Carolina

36 months ago

Greg in Youngstown, Ohio said: willing to work in ohio? i'll pay for hotel.

ordsway@yahoo.com

i'll train personally

Possibly interested.

Matt in Grandville, Michigan

32 months ago

Bic in Tucson, Arizona said: Been working for dish for 3 1/2 yrs. AND I LOVE MY JOB. Month in and month out I am in the top 10% of techs. I love the people I meet. But when I goto a house the first thing I say to myself is "If this was my house how would I like it done?". Doesn't matter if someone live in a $1000 dollar trailer or a million dollar home. They all pay the same. So making sure that you do everything possible that the workmanship is perfect is key. then customer education is big. so if it takes 2 hours or 4 hours on a 2 room doesn't matter. All jobs are different just do not walk away from the job saying "I should have done this". Now for richard. I do not know how much you make but I cleared 60k working for dish and have 3 days off a week with my family. I think that is awesome because most jobs do not give me that much time for my wife and kids.

WOW where do you work I to made 60k after all expenses but only have one day off a week

Matt in Grandville, Michigan

32 months ago

Lets face it working for Dish or Directv Sucks! The charge backs should be illegal unless you totally mess up a job I have been doing this on and off since 98 back then I worked for At&t Broadband as a contractor the pay was awsome they provided all the supplies I only had to provide the gas most weeks I made $1400 a week with two tanks of gas at $1.00 a gallon. Now I work for Hughes net I have to supply every thing! Nothing is provided and I now drive over 1000 miles a week have to drive a mini-van (so much for my truck that I loved to drive cant afford it) and I go through at least 3 tanks a week at $4.00 a gallon and have to pay for my own cable that has gone from $45 a roll to $83 after all my expenses last year I made $60k but have no benefits work 6 days a week 10-14 hours a day (sometimes more) no vacation and oh can not for get the 50000 miles I drove that the government gives you .55 cents a mile for now I only made $32k. So lets do the math minimum of 70 hours a week = $9.52 an hour well I guess it is better than Minimum wage? FIND A DIFFERENT JOB THIS ONE SUCKS!! You may ask why do I still do this job well I need a contractors job so my child support does not go through the roof its 30 to 38% of your pay as a contractor they can not take my checks as an employee they could. Just 11 more years.

thepoolguy in Saint Charles, Missouri

25 months ago

Well I plan on giving this industry a shot.I'm gonna be working at Dish.I'm 32 I've had a seasonal job the last 5 years i needed something more year round and steady work also need benefits(health,401k,etc.)I know every job has it's pro's and con's. I've been researching this industry and was curious about these charge backs i been hearing about and how it effects the installers pay.Also any other information will be helpful thanks.

mrkeith in NEWARK, New Jersey

20 months ago

I left DirecTV as a contractor back in 09-10. The Chargebacks are rediculous, NOBODY can live properly and your being charge backed that much money. I was making anywhere from $1300 to $2000 a week as a contractor. The houses that I was walking into was already s%@# and the the HSP wanted you to do this marvelous job at someones filthy house. I payed for everything out of pocket, Wire, Fittings, Gas, Tolls, Tools. Nothing was provided to me, but when it came down for me to get paid. $1500 check turns into $900, it was highway robbery. It was no way that i was going to stay in business with those kind of charge backs. It should be illegal. If a customer don't have the competency to turn the damn TV back to channel 3 so she can watch DirecTV then that's there fault. You explain to the person countless and countless of times how to fix there own tv and they still dont remember. I even left my number to customers so they would call me instead of DirecTV so I can avoid the charge backs and they still called Directv. Your in a lose lose situation. The money was good for 90 days then right after that the charge backs started. And don't work for a contractor, they will hold your checks when you start getting charge backs and refuse to pay you. DirecTV can shove it, I sold my truck, tools, ladder, and etc and took up Diesel Mechanic. I can make it way further in a trade that the country depends on and not what a consumer wants but don't really need.

Sputnic

13 months ago

The charge backs suck, I once had to return on sunday my one day off to replace a bad hr34 "genie " worked fine when I left but the next day the card reader stoped working so not only did I spend 3 hours working for free on my off day and traveled 80 miles ( to the shop then customers house then home = 15$ fuell , but I get a nco roll back of $35 plus a -$5 fee for upset customer . the job paid $60 dollars it was a reciever and two installs , first time I placed the dish I can't get a signal ? I had line of sight but couldn't get over 75dd ( u need min 96) so I move the dish way to the other end of the roof . now instead of being 75' from the from my entry point I'm 120' which is against code but I have no choice . this guys roof is like everest and at two times I was on the roof securing the cable from the lnb and I slip a bit I'm 30-40' off the ground so I'm playing it real safe , no quick movements . so I run the wire go to hook up the multi swithch and activate the recivers but I can't because all the odd chanells are failing. I smell a rat and yep start tracing lines and find two that are don't with rg 59 grr to make h long storry short I spent $18 on materials $ 25 on fuell -40 for nco call back -83 and got paid 60 so I lost $23. All the while being berated by the customers wife , I called my boss and asked him to bring a 40' ladder nomal techs only cary 28'. he told me to pick it up at the shop tomorow . I said listen you get salary and a gas card you have it on your truck

Sputnic

13 months ago

and you live 5 miles from here . he said " thats the breaks and hung up" I went to work next day unloaded my van anquit

Sputnic

13 months ago

Yep see the top 5 comments I was burning thru gas to the tune of 150-200 a week you pay for all your materials about $10-15 a install , cable is expensive about $60.00 per roll and you can plan on using 75-200' per house last month they changed the custom work criteria techs need to replace all rg 59 for free , so more wire conectors zip ties and clamps dosnt sound like much but if u use 9 clamps per cable 3zips 2 barrels and two connector thats. $2 per cable out of pocket plus it will take you 1/2 hour to run if you do it neatly ,
up grades are even worse, up grades pay even worse , in my market its $20 total regardless of how many tuners you put in , worse case scenerio you go from 3 sd tuners to 3hd now you have to change the dish type lnb, multi switch and recivers they give you 1 hour to do it but theres no way you can do it id say 2 hrs min I don't know why but unpacking hooking up , activting and setting up a tuner can take about 15-20 mins per , one time I had a formal install I went to this older gentlemans househe was really kind , most of your lower and middle class customers will be very polite , and offer you water and some times tip . anyways I look at te dish its a old 18x 22 its pointing right at trees I ask the customes sir did you ever get a signal. From us before he says yes I'm skeptical so I hook up my bird dog and get a ss of 88.its fall so I know come spring he's gonna be screwed so I change the elevation of the dish re secure and align it and re run his cable because its beat up , this job is only supposed to take 50 mins but I've all ready used up 35mins I go and get the customers old equipment to hook up plug it in and notice the acces card is missing I ask where they are he said he was told to trash them I almost started tearing up out of frustration . ) I spent the next three hours driving
To the shop to get a new reciver and talking with tech support geting it activated , so the job paid $20 it took me4hr -10 for gas & mats $2.50 phr

Sputnic

13 months ago

TruthSayer in Eden, North Carolina said: Sorry, but the only way to do this that fast is to just skip using the pre wiring unless its a must. Talk with the customer a breifly as possible, and have everything organized in your vehicle to a "t".

You can do it if they had a existing dish, cables and only need to change the multi swich and dish , no way if your starting from a virgin home wit a 30' roof or you run into rg 59 . just aint going to happen I once did a upgrade in 30 mins but all I had to do was install a lnb and reciever but thats not the norm

Sputnic

13 months ago

Bic in Tucson, Arizona said: Been working for dish for 3 1/2 yrs. AND I LOVE MY JOB. Month in and month out I am in the top 10% of techs. I love the people I meet. But when I goto a house the first thing I say to myself is "If this was my house how would I like it done?". Doesn't matter if someone live in a $1000 dollar trailer or a million dollar home. They all pay the same. So making sure that you do everything possible that the workmanship is perfect is key. then customer education is big. so if it takes 2 hours or 4 hours on a 2 room doesn't matter. All jobs are different just do not walk away from the job saying "I should have done this". Now for richard. I do not know how much you make but I cleared 60k working for dish and have 3 days off a week with my family. I think that is awesome because most jobs do not give me that much time for my wife and kids.

No way in hell your making 60 a year working 4 days a week in our market avrg install here pays about $80 wich means you have to do 3.5 installs a day if your working 10hr starting from arival to first customer at 8:am than you need to finish each job and be at the next. Every 3 hours with our standards it can't be done . they recently axed most custom work here . thats where the money used to be

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.