can you be a felon

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 205)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

NathanNiel in Los Angeles

63 months ago

jonesboi in Bloomington, Illinois said: my question is can you be a felon a be a security guard ? i have just got a gun charge due to the fact that a young man whom i gave a ride to tossed his gun in my car and took off running.i had no money for a lawyer and was given a pd . i was charged and was given 30 months of probation . if anyone has any information about this topic please notify me asap thanks .

Hi,

Felony is a punishable offense. The culprit can be sentenced to maximum of one year in prison. You can seek some legal advice in this matter as you are trying for a security kind of job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (32) Reply - Report abuse

Diane in Brooklyn, New York

62 months ago

NO! ANY CRIMINAL BACKGROUND IN NYS IS NOT HIRE

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (48) Reply - Report abuse

William in Buffalo, New York

59 months ago

NathanNiel in Los Angeles said: Hi,

Felony is a punishable offense. The culprit can be sentenced to maximum of one year in prison. You can seek some legal advice in this matter as you are trying for a security kind of job.

A felony is not a maximum of a year. People can get up to life in prison...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

chuckie in Brooklyn, New York

59 months ago

fsghtba in Saint Paul, Minnesota said: Sorry friend, the "F" is an automatic bar in every state in the union so far as I know.

You cannot be licensed.

That is absolutely incorrect. A person is eligible to work in security with a felony in almost every state. If the state requires a license it can be issued under certain circumstances (rehabilitation certificates, certificates of restoration, restoration of civil rights certificates, certificates of good conduct) I have a felony and I am the Chief of Security in my firm and I am legally allowed to carry a Taser and a firearm because I have obatianed a rehabilitation certificate

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (220) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

chuckie in Brooklyn, New York

59 months ago

A person with a felony is not automatically barred from being a security guard, bail enforcement/ fugitive recovery agent or private investigator.
If a person has a felony, they can apply to their state for a rehabilitation certificate. The certificate has many names in many states. Searching your state website will help with this. If a person has a felony these certificates basically say that you are rehabilitated and you are no longer a threat to society or a disreputable person. In New York especially. There are more than 1 million security guards and at least half of them have a criminal record and a guard license. Some states make it possible after certain periods of time and/or after going through a training or rehabilitation agency, but all in all yes, you can have a felony and be a security guard. It is actually illegal to be denied the job because you have the conviction. Also, you can retain you rights to carry firearms and your rights to hold public office (police officer, firefighter elected official, ect.). I am the Chief of my own Security firm. I have a felony conviction. I have had my rights restored. I have three college degrees in criminal justice. So it is possible to realize your dreams of having a good a and decent life if you fight for it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (223) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

Dustin in Rochester, New York

59 months ago

William in Buffalo, New York said: In NY state, you cannot go to school. You cannot get any rights restored. And in most cases, cannot get a job. It has been 12 years since my crime (threat), and I have had one 3 month job. And even with the help of an attorney, I am not allowed on school grounds. Or hospitals, or clinics, or any place that there are people under 21. ANd of course the DNA samples and all that....

I'd be lucy to work at Mc Donald's....

That's a load of BS right there. It's been almost 5 years since I was released from the custody of the State if Illinois for a Class A Felony (Minimum 4 year to Maximum 12 year sentence felony) which landed me in State for 4 years (Residential Burglary). Since then, even while on parole I've held a few jobs, a lot of which are in retail. I've gone to school as well, so I know that's bs on your part, I've gone to the doctor, again bs on your part.

Is it harder to get a job? Sure, but not impossible. What Chuckie of Brooklyn said is true though, you can apply for certification showing you are no longer a threat, and I believe also once your time is ended you may contact a lawyer and for a semi-hefty sum (around 1200 I believe) you can go to court and appeal to have your record expunged. It doesn't erase your record, but it works in the same way your record does before you're 18, blocking it from public use unless you are convicted of another crime. This may only be done however for military enrollment (in which you need a recruiter and one other ranking officer to vouch for you) or related work requiring you to be licensed (security, county/state jobs, etc.)

You will have to pay out of pocket either way you go, but it's a small cost to be a contributing member of society once again. Especially if you truly have changed courses and want to prove it.

If you are still on parole, or such you may also presenting a company with a state issued bonding option.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

larry in Yorktown Heights, New York

56 months ago

Look into Bail Enforcement. These guys do licensing in CT

WWW.RecoveryContractors.org

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

ubeeca in Brooklyn, New York

56 months ago

iam trying to get me my rights to be free, i want to be a person again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ozzi2003 in Naples, Florida

55 months ago

Dave in Port Richey, Florida said: I have a DUI and drinking under age (2 weeks before my 21st birthday) during my college years. It has been several years and I am no longer a drinker. Can I get a security job?

Dave, I was wondering the same thing, i had a dui and drinking under age, 20 years ago and just finished my security d license class, does anyone know if i have to report these two misdemeanors? I know what the form says but im a little hesitant to raise redflags when it might have been expunged after two years of completed probation and after eighteen years. We have all made mistakes when young. Trust me, i payed for it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

Maria A in Monticello, New York

55 months ago

chuckie in Brooklyn, New York said: A person with a felony is not automatically barred from being a security guard, bail enforcement/ fugitive recovery agent or private investigator.
If a person has a felony, they can apply to their state for a rehabilitation certificate. The certificate has many names in many states. Searching your state website will help with this. If a person has a felony these certificates basically say that you are rehabilitated and you are no longer a threat to society or a disreputable person. In New York especially. There are more than 1 million security guards and at least half of them have a criminal record and a guard license. Some states make it possible after certain periods of time and/or after going through a training or rehabilitation agency, but all in all yes, you can have a felony and be a security guard. It is actually illegal to be denied the job because you have the conviction. Also, you can retain you rights to carry firearms and your rights to hold public office (police officer, firefighter elected official, ect.). I am the Chief of my own Security firm. I have a felony conviction. I have had my rights restored. I have three college degrees in criminal justice. So it is possible to realize your dreams of having a good a and decent life if you fight for it.

I just recently got my only felony. I used to work for the state of NY, and I was wondering where you got your information from, because I would love to be able to get a good job and get my life back on track, I;m a single mother of three girls and min. wage dont cut it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

danb in Surrey, British Columbia

55 months ago

no

you need a licence and they do fingerprint checks. its a waste of time.

dont waste your time. Get a trade...

I had a record too. 15 years later i can go back to school for a career.

is it worth the wait and the headaches?

No

take my advise and get a trade it will save you alot of headaches. Also, you dont have to wait and wait you can start you life now. 40k x 15 =600 k in salary.

you need more advise djex@shaw.ca

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

reshonewilliams25@yahoo.com in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

55 months ago

dejop in Rockford, Illinois said: If you have a felony charge on your record you will not be able to get your security license. That is something that will unfortunately follow you. I have had my license for 12 years, that is one of the questions asked and if you lie it will be found because they do a complete background check on you as well. Sorry it is not good news.

I have a question. My boyfriend had been arrested for something he did not do. He was charged. But later they found him to be innocent. They withdrew the charges or dismissed them. Would he be able to get security job? Even though these charges still show up as withdrawn or dismissed on his record. He has been trying to get it exsponged but right now he dose not have the means to do so. Will this effect him in finding employment?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

criminal record and being charged are two different things

he doesnt have a criminal record but has a charge against his name.

Not sure if he went to court ? Then, he would have a court record also

he can find out by volunteering or by asking the local police department where he was arrested

dan
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
maria you can turn it around. Takes ten years to get a pardon in canada. Got to wait 5 years from the completion of obligations, fines have to be paid, and then 24-36 months to process.

life doesnt end. It just takes a long time to get it clear. And then when its clear takes a long time to rebuild your life.

Once i got a pardon I got accepted into various schools: nursing, psych nursing, med lab tech. i was able to get student loans etc...

heres my plan:

1)It isnt easy.

2)take any job you can for now. Keep working....minimum wage is better than nothing..I couldnt even get a minimum wage job when i got my record...4 years after i got my pardon i still make only 12 bucks an hour...so ten years later i make 12 buks an hour...

the reason --you dont want any employment gaps...when you get a pardon you dont want to have to explain why you didnt work for so long. They will get suspicious and dig deeper into your

3)3-6 months before its time to apply for a pardon get all your info together: court record, record of charges, police criminal charges( all of them), pay for full fingerprinting. takes each of these departments time since they are the government and are in no hurry. ..

4)after you get your pardon. Wait 6 months.. It takes them time to remove your files...once they get your pardon request they got through a song and dance--

5)and dont cross any borders while you have a record. They will flag you. When you get your pardon it will still show up on their database...

Once your record is gone you can do anything but government and cop

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

donjudah in New York, New York

55 months ago

dejop in Rockford, Illinois said: If you have a felony charge on your record you will not be able to get your security license. That is something that will unfortunately follow you. I have had my license for 12 years, that is one of the questions asked and if you lie it will be found because they do a complete background check on you as well. Sorry it is not good news.

Yes you can become a Security Guard with a felony. You must apply and recieve Executive Clemency or Restoration of Rights. Usually done through the State Courts or a Local Government appointed Agency that handles Executive Clemency. The process depends on your state.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

donjudah in New York, New York

55 months ago

fsghtba in Saint Paul, Minnesota said: Sorry friend, the "F" is an automatic bar in every state in the union so far as I know.

You cannot be licensed.

You are 100% wrong.. I'm living proof restoration of rights work. I'm a licensed Security Officer in 4 States. NY,FL,VA and TN. In Florida and Virginia I'm a licensed Armed Security Officer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

cleanone in Long Beach, California

55 months ago

donjudah in New York, New York said: You are ignorant and should not be allowed to guard anything besides the pig pen you live in. You Trash.

That's sad because a person wants a job you have to take cheap shots. Not only that security guard is no more then a observe and report or a common citizen. Just because you wear a uniform doesn't make you a cop and you can be arrested like everyone else. Thanks to all who have great comments. They have been trying to change this industry into something it is not a police officer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

Expungement of criminal records

In the United States, criminal records may be expunged, though laws vary by state. Many types of offenses may be expunged, ranging from parking fines to felonies. In general, once sealed or expunged, all records of an arrest and/or subsequent court case are removed from the public record, and the individual may legally deny or fail to acknowledge ever having been arrested for or charged with any crime which has been expunged. However, when applying for a state professional license or job that is considered a public office or high security (e.g. security guard, law enforcement, or related to national security), you must confess that you have an expunged conviction or else be denied clearance by the DOJ. There is no post-conviction relief available in the Federal system, other than a

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

Expungement of criminal records

In the United States, criminal records may be expunged, though laws vary by state. Many types of offenses may be expunged, ranging from parking fines to felonies. In general, once sealed or expunged, all records of an arrest and/or subsequent court case are removed from the public record, and the individual may legally deny or fail to acknowledge ever having been arrested for or charged with any crime which has been expunged. However, when applying for a state professional license or job that is considered a public office or high security (e.g. security guard, law enforcement, or related to national security), you must confess that you have an expunged conviction or else be denied clearance by the DOJ. There is no post-conviction relief available in the Federal system, other than a presidential pardon.

55 months ago

exactly cleanon,

this is why i said get a trade

expunging takes time and effort.And your record still shows up when you do enhanced security checks for the gov.

I have got a pardon. The only stuff that shows up is two speeding tickets from years ago

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

toodiminamerica in Apache Junction, Arizona

55 months ago

danb in Surrey, British Columbia said: criminal record and being charged are two different things

he doesnt have a criminal record but has a charge against his name.

Not sure if he went to court ? Then, he would have a court record also

he can find out by volunteering or by asking the local police department where he was arrested

dan
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
maria you can turn it around. Takes ten years to get a pardon in canada. Got to wait 5 years from the completion of obligations, fines have to be paid, and then 24-36 months to process.

life doesnt end. It just takes a long time to get it clear. And then when its clear takes a long time to rebuild your life.

Once i got a pardon I got accepted into various schools: nursing, psych nursing, med lab tech. i was able to get student loans etc...

heres my plan:

1)It isnt easy.

2)take any job you can for now. Keep working....minimum wage is better than nothing..I couldnt even get a minimum wage job when i got my record...4 years after i got my pardon i still make only 12 bucks an hour...so ten years later i make 12 buks an hour...

the reason --you dont want any employment gaps...when you get a pardon you dont want to have to explain why you didnt work for so long. They will get suspicious and dig deeper into your

3)3-6 months before its time to apply for a pardon get all your info together: court record, record of charges, police criminal charges( all of them), pay for full fingerprinting. takes each of these departments time since they are the government and are in no hurry. ..

4)after you get your pardon. Wait 6 months.. It takes them time to remove your files...once they get your pardon request they got through a song and dance--

5)and dont cross any borders while you have a record. They will flag you. When you get your pardon it will still show up on their database...

Once your record is gone you can

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

Can you work in healthcare in Canada w/ misdemeanors? You can get pardoned in Canada?
Would I be able to move there? I have a couple of misdemeanors, but have since returned to school and recieved a science scholarship. I have earned honors and have not commited any crimes in nearly ten years. I would move to Canada in a red hot minute...I love Canada! I used to visit often- when I lived in Washington state. I used to work in law enforcement occupations; ironically enough. The arrests were not commited in the commission of my duties- resulted from personal issues, gone awry. Please let me know. I would be happy to take my science degree and put it to use in Canada.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

toodiminamerica in Apache Junction, Arizona said:

Can you work in healthcare in Canada w/ misdemeanors? You can get pardoned in Canada?
Would I be able to move there? I have a couple of misdemeanors, but have since returned to school and recieved a science scholarship. I have earned honors and have not commited any crimes in nearly ten years. I would move to Canada in a red hot minute...I love Canada! I used to visit often- when I lived in Washington state. I used to work in law enforcement occupations; ironically enough. The arrests were not commited in the commission of my duties- resulted from personal issues, gone awry. Please let me know. I would be happy to take my science degree and put it to use in Canada.

55 months ago

cleanone in Long Beach, California said: Expungement of criminal records

In the United States, criminal records may be expunged, though laws vary by state. Many types of offenses may be expunged, ranging from parking fines to felonies. In general, once sealed or expunged, all records of an arrest and/or subsequent court case are removed from the public record, and the individual may legally deny or fail to acknowledge ever having been arrested for or charged with any crime which has been expunged. However, when applying for a state professional license or job that is considered a public office or high security (e.g. security guard, law enforcement, or related to national security), you must confess that you have an expunged conviction or else be denied clearance by the DOJ. There is no post-conviction relief available in the Federal system, other than a presidential pardon.

In America, you can not work in most healthcare positions w/ a criminal record- felonies and gross misdemeanors. In Canada, it sounds like you can work in healthcare if you have a pardon. As for expungement- if you have serious felonies or gross misdemeanors, DUI and Domestic Violence, you can not get an expungement. And those two little items are the most commonly recieved misdemeanors in the U.S. They are also the most lucrative to the court system.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

donjudah in New York, New York said: You are 100% wrong.. I'm living proof restoration of rights work. I'm a licensed Security Officer in 4 States. NY,FL,VA and TN. In Florida and Virginia I'm a licensed Armed Security Officer.

It depends on the crime. If you were convicted of a violent crime, I doubt very much that you would be an armed security officer in "sue happy" America. I have only a couple of misdemeanors and I worked as a loss prevention officer- arresting shoplifters. As loss prevention, we didn't even carry weapons, but I can no longer attain a job as a loss prevention officer- and my crime was a misdemeanor battery...that was not related to my job. As a matter of fact, I never used undue force, ever came under suspicion of undue force, and worked in the field for 8 yrs. So it really does depend on the conviction.

55 months ago

donjudah in New York, New York said: Yes you can become a Security Guard with a felony. You must apply and recieve Executive Clemency or Restoration of Rights. Usually done through the State Courts or a Local Government appointed Agency that handles Executive Clemency. The process depends on your state.

Why can you become a security guard w/ a felony and I can't continue doing loss prevention w/ a misdemeanor? How is that?

55 months ago

Diane in Brooklyn, New York said: NO! ANY CRIMINAL BACKGROUND, IN LICENSE SECURITY GUARD DUTIES IS NOT PERMITANCE.

PERMITANCE??? What does this mean exactly?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

REBECCA in Nashville, Tennessee said: NO YOU CANNOT BE A SECURITY OFFICER IF YOU HAVE A FELONY PERIOD. SPECIALLY IN TEXAS

That would be "especially" dear. No wonder some of you cannot get jobs!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

DIANE R in Brooklyn, New York said: NO THE LAWS OF THE STATE NEW YORK BACKGROUND CHECK, CANNOT
IMMEDIATELY CHECK-OUT ANY FELONY OR ARRESTS.
AND TO BE AN FOREIGNER WILL NOT CHANGE ANYTHING
COMPANIES STILL WILL CHECK FOR ANY ARREST MADE
THEN THE LICENSES BUREAU OF NYS WILL NOT ALLOW
THE PERSON TO BE EMPLOYED. SOME ARREST ARE RACIST
POFILE AND DISMISSED IN COURT OF LAW.
BUT TO DO SOME INDENTITY THEFTS ON OTHER WOMEN
AND THEN WORK IN THE NYS SECURITY GUARD COMPANY
IS FEDERAL CRIMES UNDER THE LAW.

WHAT- I don't understand what you are saying..."some arrest are racist profile"- "Identity thefts on other women" Huh???

55 months ago

Niecey Bear in Chicago, Illinois said: I have recently found out that if you have a felony conviction you can get your firearm rights restored, depending upon the type of felony. You would not qualify because you have a gun case. You could write a petition to the the governor for an executive pardon, which could take years. Having a violent felony is worst than any others ... not to seem discouraging. You can however, work in the healthcare industry. You would then need to apply for a waiver. Contact the Department of Health in Springfield and they will send you an application. You should check out Margaret Colgate Love, Relief from the Collateral Consequences of a Criminal Conviction, to know what your options are. Good Luck

You can work in the healthcare industry w/ a felony? I can't work in the healthcare industry any longer because of two misdemeanors. Are you sure on that bit of info?

DONJUDAH in New York, New York

55 months ago

The reason is the person with the felony has restoration of rights. I never heard of anyone being denied a license to do security with a misdemeanor unless it was domestic violence and if so, that person should be banned from security. If you can't protect your family from yourself I don't want you doing security for me. Plus domestic violence is a violent misdemeanor. Most violent Felons will NOT get restoration of rights or Executive Clemency.

55 months ago

toodiminamerica in Apache Junction, Arizona said: That would be "especially" dear. No wonder some of you cannot get jobs!!

Yes you can be a Security Officer in the State of Texas with a felony and restoration of rights. Go to Texas Board of Pardons and Parole they will explain the process. Why do people come on the site giving out false information or their opinions get the facts people.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

DONJUDAH in New York, New York said: Yes you can be a Security Officer in the State of Texas with a felony and restoration of rights. Go to Texas Board of Pardons and Parole they will explain the process. Why do people come on the site giving out false information or their opinions get the facts people.

I said it would be unlikely if you had a conviction for a violent crime.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

DONJUDAH in New York, New York said: The reason is the person with the felony has restoration of rights. I never heard of anyone being denied a license to do security with a misdemeanor unless it was domestic violence and if so, that person should be banned from security. If you can't protect your family from yourself I don't want you doing security for me. Plus domestic violence is a violent misdemeanor. Most violent Felons will NOT get restoration of rights or Executive Clemency.

That's crap! A misdemeanor battery is as simple as pushing someone. And believe me, you'd be surprised what can happen in an insane moment, w/ an insane person. None of the shoplifters that I came across were as crazy as the girl I pushed! And I'd do it again! I just would not have taken the plea...I would have fought it out in court. But they don't tell you that when you're a young, naive 21 yr. old, who has never been in trouble before. The girl that I pushed had a lengthy criminal record. I arrested shoplifters for 8 yrs. and never had an altercation. As a matter of fact, I was a pretty damn nice loss prevention officer. But you can be as skeptical as you like- you don't know me. There is a reason that felonies carry a heavier penalty...they are greater crimes. Most of the time "domestic violence" is blown waaaay out of proportion! A lot of women will call the police on someone...women tend to do that more than men....and they are the ones that created the problem in the 1st. place- believe it or not; our system is far from perfect. It's not like television.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

Well that is true, Violent crimes go through a different restoration of rights process than non-violent convictions at least in most states they do. Most of the times violent crimes will get restoration of rights except to carry or purchase a firearm.

55 months ago

SupportExpungement said: IYou can send letters to the President, and Members of Congress & the Senate. Share this link with all your family and friends - even with strangers. We are the People who elected these People to work for the People. The more noise you make - the more you'll be heard!

www.petition2congress.com/2/1977/go/343321

Let us send as many letters so as we can and let them know it's time to stop dodging their responsibility to us.

w

Why should people convicted of federal felonies be treated any differently than anyone else? According to the petition link, this petition defends the rights of federal criminals. According to this petition- federal criminals aren't "hardened criminals." I beg to differ. This is the same class distinction that has been at the root of the problem...that people w/ money get treated differently than people w/ out money. Often times, people who commit federal crimes, have the capacity (and actually have) bilked thousands of dollars from unsuspecting investors, retirees, and the like. In general, federal crimes have a greater chance of being overlooked by the system, and result in the greatest loss; ie., theft.

futurecop in Charleston, Illinois

54 months ago

NathanNiel in Los Angeles said: Hi,

Are you seriously freakin retarded? Felony is obviously a punishable offense that is punishable by minimum of 365 days in prison, thats one thing that seperates misdemeanor from felony is the sentence you recieve. Misdemeanor is punishable by up to 364 days in jail. Learn your facts man

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

That is 100% true a felony is a minimum of 1 year in prison.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

KEVIN in Bakersfield, California

54 months ago

kittyme in Tempe, Arizona said: i live in san diego and the guards we got here are gang member of all race "asian, black and brown". white people dont have gangs they just think there better then everyone. so anywayz these people here got there guard card just like me !! so beatthat law!!

YEAH BUT DO YOU HAVE A FELONY AND WHAT KIND? I FOUND THIS A INTERESTING COMMENT FOR A CALIF> RESIDENT>

Critical Assent in Nashville, Tennessee

53 months ago

Niecey Bear in Chicago, Illinois said: I have recently found out that if you have a felony conviction you can get your firearm rights restored, depending upon the type of felony. You would not qualify because you have a gun case. You could write a petition to the the governor for an executive pardon, which could take years. Having a violent felony is worst than any others ... not to seem discouraging. You can however, work in the healthcare industry. You would then need to apply for a waiver. Contact the Department of Health in Springfield and they will send you an application. You should check out Margaret Colgate Love, Relief from the Collateral Consequences of a Criminal Conviction, to know what your options are. Good Luck

Though I will be contacting the health department in my own desired city - I would like to know where you have learned this information regarding the healthcare industry - as well as any helpful links.

Orlando in Gibsonburg, Ohio

53 months ago

I made a mistake when I was 18, I got into a fist fight and was charged with a felonious assault and was sentenced to 3 to 15 year sentence. When I was released and after I got off parole, I volunteered at our local juvenile center for 3 months and was offered a job and excelled and was promoted to Sergeant in one year. During my employment over a four year period, I decided I wanted to go into parole and I needed to get my gun rights reinstated, so I hired a attorney and applied for relief and was grated my gun rights back by local court. The thing is, I lost my job shortly after words because a convicted felon who was friends with a local county commissioner sent him to apply at the Juvenile center and was turned down because he was a felon, well the commissioner and the guy that applied knew I was a convicted felon and raised hell and I lost my job, because the judge was forced to take a look at the law and in fact, he could not hire me until 10yrs after my parole date. Needless to say I lost my job and was walked to my locker to collect my belongings and escorted to my car after being read a letter by the judge apologizing and telling me to reapply after my ten years were up. Well that whole incident was unfortunate but I was granted my gun rights back under section 2923.14 of the Ohio Revised Code in 2001 and I just now applied to get my CCW in 2010 and was successful but when I tried to buy my first gun I was denied and found out latter I could not by a gun but I have my CCW, I don't understand the logic but the law is the law. All I can say, people do change I made a mistake when was 18 and now I am 35 married to a wonderful woman and three great kids. Maybe one day some people will realize that some people do change and should be given a second chance...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

kev in Bakersfield, California

53 months ago

WOW after all u did to give back they screwed you. Listen i never wa s in trouble for a anything in my life till i was 25 i got with a bag. And since who i was with was a patch holder in a MC they gave me the MAX but suspended it just to get me to take it (the deal) ( Joint suspenison) Well it was a set up to watch who i was around and asscotiaed with at the time. Needless to say our sytem is Real mesased up , Prisons privately owned * a very scarefull thought. * And the fact that when youdo a drug for the first tiem u have no idea what u r in store for. well u get hooked and caught then eventually u will do the same thing over and over with out some help or willpower and a inner desire to change . Anyways, I got caught for a bag again and went to prison. Only i figured out while there that they do nothing to help u just throw u in and thats it. Well listen i seemed to figure that when i get out i would get a job and change my life . well i did and i have changed 20+ yrs no trouble or parole. Passed all piss test ever given , But over and over i would get fired due to having a record. Doesnt anyone care that there Are peop-le outh there who deserve a second chance of all the rights there are to have. the first time i got in trouble i was told to get a job and stay out of trouble by the judge, And attorney But once u have a arrest for anything they would frown upon giving me a job. And i was being honest at times then after awhile i would lie. Just to be fired later. Point is if a guy goes 10 or more years off parole and out of trouble they should get all rights back. as long as its not a rape charge or molester charge of course or murder.
The time have changed , More and more laws are made but very little is doen to revise the ones we have that arte over 100 yrs old some of them...... GET WITH THE TIMES AND GIVE US A CHANCE. I VCANT EVEN GET A JOB NOW AS A SECURITY GUARD .. I dont even want to get a gun permitt. Just want to live and work and do whats rite.

ambra hicks in Long Beach, California

53 months ago

what if you were a juvenile during the time you were convicted of that felony but is now an adult

gcamthe3rd in Kingston, New York

53 months ago

yes you can get a security job as a felon in the state of ny. as long as you have a CERTIFICATE OF RELIEF FROM DISABILITIES.....im goin threw the process now..and already taken a 8hr course...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Royal Forest of Dean in Memphis, Tennessee

53 months ago

danb in Surrey, British Columbia said: no

you need a licence and they do fingerprint checks. its a waste of time.

dont waste your time. Get a trade...

I had a record too. 15 years later i can go back to school for a career.

is it worth the wait and the headaches?

No

take my advise and get a trade it will save you alot of headaches. Also, you dont have to wait and wait you can start you life now. 40k x 15 =600 k in salary.

you need more advise djex@shaw.ca

I agree; no one with a FELONY should waste their time trying to become a Security Guard. It's probably possible in some circumstances; but, very rare. You will be FINGERPRINTED and your Driver License and Social Security Number will be ran. 99% of the time; you're going to be DENIED for a FELONY. AND, most Security Companies want applicants ONLY with a CLEAN RECORD. Getting your rights restored is possible, but, it takes time, you have to hire a lawyer, and there are other cost's involved; and even in that procedure; the court can still deny your petition at it's discretion. A convicted felon will always be better off going to school and taking up a good paying TRADE. There are certain TRADE's that pay better than a college degree.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mikey B in Washington, District of Columbia

52 months ago

chuckie in Brooklyn, New York said: That is absolutely incorrect. A person is eligible to work in security with a felony in almost every state. If the state requires a license it can be issued under certain circumstances (rehabilitation certificates, certificates of restoration, restoration of civil rights certificates, certificates of good conduct) I have a felony and I am the Chief of Security in my firm and I am legally allowed to carry a Taser and a firearm because I have obatianed a rehabilitation certificate

Can you give me a little more insight on this, I am interested in getting my security license.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

kev in Bakersfield, California

52 months ago

hey tell us more Chuckie Im in Claifornia can i do the same as you did in NY ?

Rendon in Bakersfield, California

52 months ago

I live here in California and I was wanting to know if I had 3 DUI's that are past 5 years old, can I become a Security Guard? Do I need to go get a rehabilitation certificate, or ask for Restoration of Rights? I didn't get any felonies just fined and felony probation. I am no longer on probation and would like to continue on into Criminal Justice. Do you think I will have any problems?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

PETER in Brooklyn, New York

51 months ago

chuckie in Brooklyn, New York said: A person with a felony is not automatically barred from being a security guard, bail enforcement/ fugitive recovery agent or private investigator.

HI CHUCKIE I JUST READ YOU COMMENT AND WAS TURNED DOWN FOR AN A MISDEMEANOR THAT I INCURRED PROTECTING MY FAMILY. ITS SEEMS NO ONE WILL GIVE ME A CHANCE. CAN YOU HELP ME OR POINT ME IN RIGHT DIRECTION, CAN I WORK FOR YOU I HAVE A CURRENT VALID SECURITY LICENSE. THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP YOU CAN OFFER

PETER

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Fmessedupmylife in Bronx, New York

51 months ago

chuckie in Brooklyn, New York said: That is absolutely incorrect. A person is eligible to work in security with a felony in almost every state. If the state requires a license it can be issued under certain circumstances (rehabilitation certificates, certificates of restoration, restoration of civil rights certificates, certificates of good conduct) I have a felony and I am the Chief of Security in my firm and I am legally allowed to carry a Taser and a firearm because I have obatianed a rehabilitation certificate

rEALLY? IM FROM THE BRONX CAN YOU HELP ME GET MY FIREARM LICENSE?

Kev in Bakersfield, California

51 months ago

hey what county do we file for a rehab certif. ? the one we got busted in or the 1 we live in ? Do we need an attorney or is it easy enough to do on our own?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.