MSW and gaining experience

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

johnst in Everett, Washington

20 months ago

What's the best way to gain experience in social work?
I have a BA degree and would like to apply to some MSW programs. I have zero experience.
I work two part-time jobs in an unrelated field. I would love to volunteer, but time is difficult. How do you gain experience working to end poverty when you're poor? How much experience is required?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

MSW in May 2014 in Atlanta, Georgia

8 days ago

johnst in Everett, Washington said: What's the best way to gain experience in social work?
I have a BA degree and would like to apply to some MSW programs. I have zero experience.
I work two part-time jobs in an unrelated field. I would love to volunteer, but time is difficult. How do you gain experience working to end poverty when you're poor? How much experience is required?

The best way to gain experience are working in outreach programs, residential treatment, or shelters. If you are not employed by a human service non profit organization. Then those are good entry level positions that will help build experience. Volunteering at those agencies is a good option.Also working relief or "on call" shifts can be helpful to get your foot in the door while keeping other jobs. I don't think experience is required for most MSW programs. It depends on what schools you are applying to. However, when doing your application essays, you want to focus heavily on personal life experiences and how having a BA has enhanced your communication and social skills and

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.