Best place in the US for a social worker to live?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 393)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

SW in Saint Louis, Missouri

60 months ago

Staceynicole in Brooklyn, New York said: I’m thinking more if licensing requirement in other states. I’m in NY.. I started at 48 right out of school. Still with cost of living and students loans, this is not a living wage.. I’m looking to relocate where the cost of living is less, weather is warmer and people are friendlier. I've considered Army medical corps. I've applied to VA hospitals in other areas.. Pays great, usually starting at 55+ however they never seen to responded. I’m starting to feel they only hire Vets. Any suggestions?

There are many types of jobs within the VA system and numerous individuals applying with varying levels of expertise...some may be applying for a position that is not a "best fit" for that particular opening...keep looking and learning about the various sites and what the particular job needs are...Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Leslie LCSW in Hot Springs, Arkansas

59 months ago

The best thing for you do is save up and get your masters degree. Thats where all the jobs are. I think you can get it in a year since you are a BSW. Believe me it's well worth it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (47) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

59 months ago

Tracey in Rusk, Texas said: This was extremely helpful to me since I am going to school to be a social worker and want to move to the Arkansas area. I think it is beautiful there and want to be sure I will be able to find a job fairly easily. I still have a little while in the program, but plan to move as soon as I am done. Thanks!!

You are welcome!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

simonmsw83 in Iselin, New Jersey

57 months ago

I read somewhere that Philadelphia and Chicago are going to be two top cities for Social work by 2011. Is there any truth in it?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (64) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

BSW in Tulsa, Oklahoma said: I have just graduated from the BSW program in Ada Oklahoma. I am looking for a job in the social work field. I would like to know the best places for a BSW level social worker to look for work in this field. I am now a call in feel in social worker for the rehab unit at a hospital but this is not enough. I need a full time job and soon.

If u have a BSW u can join for an advanced MSW degree which can be finished in 9 months with 60 credits or so. Its been started especially for BSW graduates to get an msw degree fast. Many social work schools are offering advanced msw degree for BSWS.That would increase ur scope i guess.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

simonmsw83 in Iselin, New Jersey said: I read somewhere that Philadelphia and Chicago are going to be two top cities for Social work by 2011. Is there any truth in it?

It could be I am not sure. What is salary averaging in those two cities?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

CAU2006 in Atlanta, Georgia

57 months ago

It's about the same in Atlanta. I have my MSW and I am a foster care supervisor. I make around 43,000 but when I finished school I was making around 33,000 so I had to get a promotion to make additional cash. The best way to make more money to get your licensure. I am applying to take the LMSW licensure test now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

gaurav in Vadodara, India said: HELLO,
I HAVE COMPLETED MY M.S.W PROGRAMME WITH 65% IN 2007. NOW I WANT TO DO JOB IN US FOR BETTER OPPORTUNITY.I LOOKING FOR THE INFORMATION AND VACANCIES ALSO.I WANT SOME ADDRESSES WHERE I CAN SEND MY RESUME FOR JOB SO THAT IS WHY PLEASE INFORM ME FROM WHERE I START THIS ???

Hello gaurav, I am also an MSW from India, Marks are not considered as an important criteria in obtaining a job. But you need to get an American equalant from Counsel Of Social Work Education in Virjinia. Also identify which state you want to work in the USA and obtain the state license to practice as an MSW. If you have license chances are that you may have less struggle finding a job. it would be also helpful for you if you have done courses in family and child welfare social work or geriatrics like aging. Guess there are more opportunities in those field. Hope I was able to answer your doubts. What was your area of concentration (Major) while doing MSW?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

VN in Mchenry, Illinois

57 months ago

Not sure about Philadelphia but Chicago is really bad when it comes to social work job. The state of Illinois is cutting funds to schools and social service agencies. There will be more cuts this summer. The salary is very low. No one could live here making appr. 27K a year unless they have a spouse who earns A LOT.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

VN in Mchenry, Illinois

57 months ago

So don't come to Illinois, It will only get worse

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

Geez, I would have thought Chicago would have been better than that, how sad. Thanks for the info.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

gaurav in Vadodara, India

57 months ago

i have received your mail regarding best place for social worker, on that topic i want to know how to apply on particular job ? and what are the things i have to complete first.i ve complete my master degree in social work in 2007.Currently I am working with india's biggest pharmaceutical company named LUPIN PHARMA.my company has establish a Foundation named LUPIN HUMAN WELFARE AND RESEARCH FOUNDATION.I want further information to do jon in USA as social worker.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

DadMike in Baltimore, Maryland

57 months ago

gaurav in Vadodara, India said: i have received your mail regarding best place for social worker, on that topic i want to know how to apply on particular job ? and what are the things i have to complete first.i ve complete my master degree in social work in 2007.Currently I am working with india's biggest pharmaceutical company named LUPIN PHARMA.my company has establish a Foundation named LUPIN HUMAN WELFARE AND RESEARCH FOUNDATION.I want further information to do jon in USA as social worker.

Depends on where you want to work and what you want to do..Federal govt has its process, states and local counties have their own process, private companies have own process, etc.; best bet is to Google social work jobs in whatever part of the country you'd like to live in (or use Indeed!) and get the info. Social work is a broad, broad field- everything from child welfare to mental health treatment to medical discharge planning to working with homeless and so much, much more! And there is no national license- some states will make you get licensed, some will not-- but state without licenses often offer very poor working conditions! Nor, in this country, is there any sort of centralized social work placement agency.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Gaurav in Vadodara, India

57 months ago

"Gaurav in Vadodara, India"]ACCORDING TO YOUR PREVIOUS REPLY, I WOULD SAY I AM INTERESTED TO DO JOB IN NEW JERSEY AND AROUND THE NEW YORK IN HEALTH CARE INDUSTRY,HUMAN RESOURCES,CHILD CARE ORGANIZATION INFACT ALL KIND OF NGOs NEARBY NEW YORK OR NEW JERSY.I REQUEST YOU TO SUGGEST ME ACCORDING TO CONCLUSION AS WELL AS I AM ABLE TO DO JOB AT ANY STATE OR ANY PLACE OF UNITED STATE.I HEARD THERE IS BIG OPPORTUNITY IN THE UNITED STATE FOR SOCIAL WORKER PARTICULAR IN CHILD CARE/DEVELOPMENT.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

Gaurav in Vadodara, India said: "Gaurav in Vadodara, India"]ACCORDING TO YOUR PREVIOUS REPLY, I WOULD SAY I AM INTERESTED TO DO JOB IN NEW JERSEY AND AROUND THE NEW YORK IN HEALTH CARE INDUSTRY,HUMAN RESOURCES,CHILD CARE ORGANIZATION INFACT ALL KIND OF NGOs NEARBY NEW YORK OR NEW JERSY.I REQUEST YOU TO SUGGEST ME ACCORDING TO CONCLUSION AS WELL AS I AM ABLE TO DO JOB AT ANY STATE OR ANY PLACE OF UNITED STATE.I HEARD THERE IS BIG OPPORTUNITY IN THE UNITED STATE FOR SOCIAL WORKER PARTICULAR IN CHILD CARE/DEVELOPMENT.

There are always need for social workers! But be forewarned- they are not always the best paying jobs, either! I consider it lowest level professional pay- despite needing a Masters degree and a license, you really get paid at a bachelor's level manager's rate at most jobs; Its equivalent, really, to teacher's pay- middle class, comfortable,NOT WEALTHY!- but only after you've paid your dues and risen up in ranks; New York and New Jersey- BIG PLACES!! Google it, or look here on Indeed; if you're interested in child abuse investigations or working for foster care, check out the States themselves- they usually have applications online. If you're coming from India, you may need to check with embassy re: work permits and such-- I'm not sure how all that works!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sandro in Luka, Bosnia and Herzegovina

57 months ago

Hi folks!
Just randomly came across on this forum, which I've found pretty helpful.
Speaking of social workers, would anyone be so kind to let me know is there any shortage of social workers in the USA, generally?
I'm a qualified social worker from EU who has have over 5 years of work experiences in differ SW fields, with BA degree in SW and MA degree in Community Affairs from London,the UK. So I' m just wondering what're my real chances at the moment to apply for any position in the USA from EU and to get work permit, due to high jobless rates and without possessing the USA work experience.
Thanks in advance

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

Sandro in Luka, Bosnia and Herzegovina said: Hi folks!
Just randomly came across on this forum, which I've found pretty helpful.
Speaking of social workers, would anyone be so kind to let me know is there any shortage of social workers in the USA, generally?
I'm a qualified social worker from EU who has have over 5 years of work experiences in differ SW fields, with BA degree in SW and MA degree in Community Affairs from London,the UK. So I' m just wondering what're my real chances at the moment to apply for any position in the USA from EU and to get work permit, due to high jobless rates and without possessing the USA work experience.
Thanks in advance

I'm a social work supervisor in Maryland State Government in USA. Despite the overall job shortage in the USA, social work is always hiring. Almost all decent social work jobs in the US require a Masters degree in Social Work, and often a license. EVERY STATE is different- even in MD, caseworker-level child welfare jobs in all but a few counties will hire Bachelor's level people w/o every needing a license. The pay for them is lousy but the bennies- leave time, pension, and health insurance- are very good. You would probably have an easy time getting hired in most urban areas in a government child welfare position- but that means low pay, hard work, and often dangerous conditions- the odds of being shot in downtown Baltimore is higher than Bagdad! All US military physicians train at our Shock Trauma due to all the gunshot wounds they see. l I enjoy what I do- I have an MSW and a license and I work in a suburban area- plenty of crime and dysfunction to stem boredom, but nowhere near the urban chaos- but we only hire MSWS- rarely BSWs- you could qualify, but you'd have to really impress in the interview- sadly, your Masters, since it is not in social work, would not count. We would give you time to pass license exam, but would have to let you go if you did not pass within a year.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

mini-from iselin in Avenel, New Jersey

57 months ago

DadMike in Baltimore, Maryland said: I'm a social work supervisor in Maryland State Government in USA. Despite the overall job shortage in the USA, social work is always hiring. Almost all decent social work jobs in the US require a Masters degree in Social Work, and often a license. EVERY STATE is different- even in MD, caseworker-level child welfare jobs in all but a few counties will hire Bachelor's level people w/o every needing a license. The pay for them is lousy but the bennies- leave time, pension, and health insurance- are very good. You would probably have an easy time getting hired in most urban areas in a government child welfare position- but that means low pay, hard work, and often dangerous conditions- the odds of being shot in downtown Baltimore is higher than Bagdad! All US military physicians train at our Shock Trauma due to all the gunshot wounds they see. l I enjoy what I do- I have an MSW and a license and I work in a suburban area- plenty of crime and dysfunction to stem boredom, but nowhere near the urban chaos- but we only hire MSWS- rarely BSWs- you could qualify, but you'd have to really impress in the interview- sadly, your Masters, since it is not in social work, would not count. We would give you time to pass license exam, but would have to let you go if you did not pass within a year.

so mike i think you will be the right person to discuss about my brother's worry.
he is going to finish his MSW this month from India and he's worried to practice in which field; in medical so that later he can come USA and have a better scope or practice in industries in india...what do you think USA or India is better for an MSW.if he wants to come to US then what should he do? moreover, will agencies over here in US sponsor him to come here?

57 months ago

mini-from iselin in Avenel, New Jersey said: so mike i think you will be the right person to discuss about my brother's worry.
he is going to finish his MSW this month from India and he's worried to practice in which field; in medical so that later he can come USA and have a better scope or practice in industries in india...what do you think USA or India is better for an MSW.if he wants to come to US then what should he do? moreover, will agencies over here in US sponsor him to come here?

Hello! I'd love the help compare India and US for social work, but I know so little about social work in India (really, nothing!) I really can't compare. I do have Indian friends here that are social workers, but they went to school here, and many are second-generation Americans. In the US the best money fields for social work is medical; Federal Govt, then local govt is next down the list. Mental health is not a good field here- I've worked here with an Indian family, who were shocked to find out they would have received better services if they had stayed in India! Private, non-social work industry will probably pay better! As to sponsor-ship- that depends on the agency.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it but i'm still have a doubt that whether working in US in medical field as a MSW is better or working in INDIA in industries is better...can you please throw some light on this.
waiting for the reply.
Thanks in advance.

57 months ago

I don't think any social worker can shed light on that only you can do that. What are you passionate about? Working in an industry and doing medical social work are two totally different fields. If you love working in an industry then social work may not be the field for you. You have to be a passionate, patient and empathetic person to be a social worker if you're not then you will not like it.

Does anyone know about the social work jobs in Dallas or Houston? The salary and openings?

57 months ago

mini-from iselin in Avenel, New Jersey said: Thanks for the help, I appreciate it but i'm still have a doubt that whether working in US in medical field as a MSW is better or working in INDIA in industries is better...can you please throw some light on this.
waiting for the reply.
Thanks in advance.

There would be less culture shock if one is Indian and stayed in India..I don't know working conditions in India to really compare..Social work in US can be a good middle class income; but NOT wealthy unless you're a business owner; in US social work is a helping profession, not a wealth profession, and can be very stressful; better question- does he want to leave India? US doesn't = superior to all people! I like it here, but I was born here! He may feel the same about India..my Indian friends like it here, but they have relatives that prefer India. He may also want to check out UK for social work- they have a shortage, and alot of Americans are going there!!

57 months ago

thanks lesle, i appreciate your feedback.

57 months ago

thanks dadmike, i appreciate your feedback.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

EmilyNicole in Rockford, Michigan

56 months ago

Hi!
I just found this forum and it's been pretty helpful, thanks! I'm still in high school and trying to decide where I should go to school for social work. My sister went to Bowling Green Ohio, but she got a really low-paying job after school and is now moving out to Pittsburgh to get her Masters and is not going back to Ohio. I know that my home state, Michigan, won't do much for me either.

I'm looking to go into something with foster children-I don't want to work in schools or hospitals or at correctional facilities. I would also prefer to not go down south-I really can't stand hot weather! I was looking at Washington because the weather would not bother me, but the more research I do, the less I want to go there.

Any advice about certain schools or states would be wonderful (by the way, I got a 29 on the ACT, have not taken the SAT and would prefer not to, and my average GPA is a 3.65)!

Thanks to anyone who can help!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

EmilyNicole in Rockford, Michigan said: Hi!
I just found this forum and it's been pretty helpful, thanks! I'm still in high school and trying to decide where I should go to school for social work. My sister went to Bowling Green Ohio, but she got a really low-paying job after school and is now moving out to Pittsburgh to get her Masters and is not going back to Ohio. I know that my home state, Michigan, won't do much for me either.

I'm looking to go into something with foster children-I don't want to work in schools or hospitals or at correctional facilities. I would also prefer to not go down south-I really can't stand hot weather! I was looking at Washington because the weather would not bother me, but the more research I do, the less I want to go there.

Any advice about certain schools or states would be wonderful (by the way, I got a 29 on the ACT, have not taken the SAT and would prefer not to, and my average GPA is a 3.65)!

Thanks to anyone who can help!

Maryland does all right for social workers- but you HAVE to have an MSW to have security and decent pay. Washington, DC pays really well for child welfare- but you are in serious urban chaos there! Maryland pays OK- better than private agency- just remember that the salaries may look ALOT higher on the East or West coast, but cost of living adjusts! A 400.00 apt in Kansas runs for 800.00 in Baltimore, easy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

Sorry- I meant Ohio! But I meant Midwest in general; I have relatives in Kansas and my mind always jumps there when I think of Midwest!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

Thanks so much for your help!!

CrescentRoses in Buffalo, New York

56 months ago

I'm planning on getting my MSW and getting licensed in Buffalo, NY but I really want to move to a bigger and better city (Buffalo sucks if you haven't heard - unless you like the snow!). I want to be a Mental Health Counselor. Are there cities that have higher paying jobs for that field? What about in California like San Francisco?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

rose in Upland, California

55 months ago

Hi guys. If you can please advice me, i would really appreciate it. I just decided to get my MSW. I'm getting my BA in ethnic studies this year. I live in California and i really want a change. I really want to change my enviroment, i feel like i'm not surrounded by the type of enviroment that i want. Basically, i'm isolated. I'm thinking of doing my masters in the east coast. DC, NY, Boston, etc... are some areas i want to try out. So, after much research, i've decided to do the medical/public health social work. Does anybody know how that work is like? And also, what do you guys think about NY, DC, Boston? I mean is there like a way for example, for me to work in New york city and communte and live in a nice area further out? That's one of the things i like about cali, you can work in los angeles, and live an hour away in a nice area. The commute is crazy, but i don't know. Can somebody say something about medical/public health social work and the east coast????? thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

laurieoulette@yahoo.ca in Medicine Hat, Alberta

55 months ago

antiOregon in Eugene, Oregon said: I recently lived in Phoenix Arizona and there were tons of jobs that paid 30,000 a year or so at the BA level. Cost of living is about average. I now live in Eugene, Oregon now and cannot wait to get out of here! Most of the (few) jobs here in our field pay 8-10 dollars an hour! What an insult to expect someone to have a degree and experience and only pay this much. Minimum wage in this state is 8.00/hour also! I have spent 2 monthes and still have not found anything as I refuse to work for under 14.00/hour. As soon as I am able to save up the money I will be moving back to Arizona. They even have temp services there specifically for the behaviorial health field. It is clear to me that Oregon does not place a high priority on this states mental health care. Anyone else from Oregon had similar experiences??

I agree with you four yrs univeristy and I even have 5 yrs , lifeskills teaching and they expect you to work here in canada for 10 to 15.00 an hour, and I agree I still owe university loan, did i go for education to get that kind of wage, what a scam... on a better note, if one goes up north, live in isolated areas they pay better, but who wants to live in an igloo, so social work practice, is not like the nurses in pay scale and we are just as important.
kind of sad, changing lives, well change their income grid level, who makes those decisions we need to see a therapist for if one cannot provide for their family one does get depressed, how depressed are the trades, or health care field, dr's and nurses, and we social workers, barely can feed our familiy's in a below the poverty belt wage!!

55 months ago

rose in Upland, California said: Hi guys. If you can please advice me, i would really appreciate it. I just decided to get my MSW. I'm getting my BA in ethnic studies this year. I live in California and i really want a change. I really want to change my enviroment, i feel like i'm not surrounded by the type of enviroment that i want. Basically, i'm isolated. I'm thinking of doing my masters in the east coast. DC, NY, Boston, etc... are some areas i want to try out. So, after much research, i've decided to do the medical/public health social work. Does anybody know how that work is like? And also, what do you guys think about NY, DC, Boston? I mean is there like a way for example, for me to work in New york city and communte and live in a nice area further out? That's one of the things i like about cali, you can work in los angeles, and live an hour away in a nice area. The commute is crazy, but i don't know. Can somebody say something about medical/public health social work and the east coast????? thank you

DC pays WELL for MSWs; they can start around 50,000 entry level; cost of living is HIGH- DC proper is either million-dollar homes or dodge-a-bullet projects; most people commute from VA or MD suburbs; DC govt itself is a wreck, but is real hard-core urban social work; it is shocking how little is put into capitol city outside of govt, tourist, and wealthy areas; MD pays pretty decently for social work; state salaries go further in rural areas because there is no pay differential; but you really, really need an MSW to be competitve- bachelor's levels positions pay poorly, and in a state child welfare job you have ALOT of responsiblity!! for little money at the BA or BSW level.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

Go to grad school where you want to work- all MSW programs require field internships, so were you go to school determines professional contacts, knowledge of resources and systems, and usually job contacts! We hire almost all of our interns!
East Coast- NY and DC have HIGH cost of living, tend to pay more to; Baltimore is avg. in cost of living; PA is CHEAP unless you go to Philly; PA is not as sophisticated for social work license; MD and DC are much better- and salaries reflect that.
I would Google State Child Welfare jobs and Hospital jobs in your prospective states- Hospitals tend to pay the most, State jobs tend to be in the middle but with kinder schedules, and private agency pays least but may be much easier! If you really want to learn ins and outs of social work, you HAVE to work in a local Dept. of Social Services for at least a few years- you get in touch with ALL systems from hospitals, schools, mental health, homeless services, etc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Charmsda1 in United Kingdom

55 months ago

Amy in Vancouver, Washington said: I am a SW in WA. I work for the state in the Children's Administration. All state SW's are paid the same wage scale no matter where in WA you are working. I make a fairly decent wage for my location, but if I moved to the Seattle area I wouldn't do so well. Now if I lived in Eastern Washington, or Forks, or somewhere like that...it would actually be a pretty nice wage compared to cost of housing, etc. I, too, would love to know where the SW gets the most bang for the job, if you know what I mean. I'm considering moving to England in a few years to practice SW there if I can figure out a good way to do it.

Go to a recruitment company. That is what I did. Working as a SW in England now.

cb in Livonia, Michigan

55 months ago

Pregnancy Worker in Honolulu, Hawaii said: Thanks...I live in Honolulu, HI and make $40K right out of school, but the cost of living here is killing it! I am looking to move, but I dont know where my daughter would have a good life and I would make a good living. Thanks for your information.

Hi i have been considering moving to HI and am also a social worker, however I have just found that Hawaii's requirments for a license are much higher. I went through school for my MSW in two years, but I have just found out Hawaii requires four years, what to do? Would any agencies take me? How many soc work jobs are available in Honolulu? Thanks! cb

55 months ago

Just curious - how much do social workers make in England, on average, compared to to the US? Also, how does the cost of living compare? Thanks!

55 months ago

Leslie LCSW in Hot Springs, Arkansas said: Well this may sound suprising but Arkansas is one of the best places for social workers. You have many options, most agencies are always looking for qualified LMSW or LCSW'S. You can easily make $50,000 plus. If you are willing to go contract with an agency and work in the schools you can make 75,000 plus. And its cheap to live and very family oriented. Arkansas is a social workers hidden gem. Hopes this helps someone.

thanks for the feedback..really needed one.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

MSW in Chicago, Illinois

54 months ago

simonmsw83 in Iselin, New Jersey said: I read somewhere that Philadelphia and Chicago are going to be two top cities for Social work by 2011. Is there any truth in it?

I live in Chicago and many social workers (including myself) are finding it extremely difficult to find work. There are many social work schools in Chicago which results in many graduates, this makes each position very competitive. Additionally, most of the jobs REQUIRE you to be bi-lingual because of the large Latino population in Chicago. Also, I have not found many job postings that as for an MSW, either it is BSW or LCSW so many master’s level practitioners start out with bachelors level or lower positions (paying below $30,000).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

new in GA in Peachtree City, Georgia

54 months ago

I have recently relocated to GA and am trying to obtain a license in this state. I have been to the composite board website, but still have questions. Is there anyone here familiar with or have experience with licensure in this state?

Andy in Delray Beach, Florida

54 months ago

Amy in Vancouver, Washington said: I am a SW in WA. I work for the state in the Children's Administration. All state SW's are paid the same wage scale no matter where in WA you are working. I make a fairly decent wage for my location, but if I moved to the Seattle area I wouldn't do so well. Now if I lived in Eastern Washington, or Forks, or somewhere like that...it would actually be a pretty nice wage compared to cost of housing, etc. I, too, would love to know where the SW gets the most bang for the job, if you know what I mean. I'm considering moving to England in a few years to practice SW there if I can figure out a good way to do it.

try ukpro.com

simonmsw83 in Fords, New Jersey

54 months ago

mini-from iselin in Avenel, New Jersey said: Thanks for the help,d I appreciate it but i'm still have a doubt that whether working in US in medical field as a MSW is better or working in INDIA in industries is better...can you please throw some light on this.
waiting for the reply.
Thanks in advance.
ha

hi mini, i am a social worker from India, those who did msw with me in India had all taken Human resources as specialisation, one of my friends got a job in Mico Bosch, starting salary was Rs.30,000/ month. but he happened to be lucky, not all my friends were lucky. The problem with HR MSW is that they prefer MBA HR graduate to MSW HR graduate unless u have graduated from Tata institute. its always better to stick on to hospital based social work. and of course as a social worker ur future is always better in USA than India. with my degree from India I had to struggle a lot initially. in fact I struggled for two years. But now I am getting $20/ hr as a case manager in psychiatric setting. u can never get such high salary as social worker in India unless u happened to be exceptionally lucky.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

angiepangi in Columbus, Ohio

54 months ago

Hey all, I have my MSW in clinical social work. I am wanting to relocate but have no idea where to go. What are the best places for someone wanting to work in a psychiatric, counseling setting?? I've applied like crazy to various hospitals but to no avail. My end goal is to obtain my LISW so I have to get employment with a company that can provide the supervision i'm wanting. I will however work for a government agency that doesn't have the above mentioned requirements. BTY!!! if you are working in a non-profit type of organization etc there is a new loan repayment program out now that adjusts your payment to your payscale. Also for those of you who don't know it...if you work in a non-profit agency and a couple of other areas (i don't remember where) you are eligible for the loan forgiveness program where you pay on your loans for 10 years and the rest is forgiven. You definately need to look into this!!! my payments went from $400 to $200 a month!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

mini from iselin in Fords, New Jersey

54 months ago

Thanks simonmsw83,
i agree with you; at present my brother is working as an HR but with very, very less salary....so i wanted him to work here but i don't how can i get him here; can you think of an agency or firm which can sponsor my brother as a MSW / HR?
I would appreciate your reply.

Rita in Lawrenceville, Georgia

53 months ago

antiOregon in Eugene, Oregon said: I recently lived in Phoenix Arizona and there were tons of jobs that paid 30,000 a year or so at the BA level. Cost of living is about average. I now live in Eugene, Oregon now and cannot wait to get out of here! Most of the (few) jobs here in our field pay 8-10 dollars an hour! What an insult to expect someone to have a degree and experience and only pay this much. Minimum wage in this state is 8.00/hour also! I have spent 2 monthes and still have not found anything as I refuse to work for under 14.00/hour. As soon as I am able to save up the money I will be moving back to Arizona. They even have temp services there specifically for the behaviorial health field. It is clear to me that Oregon does not place a high priority on this states mental health care. Anyone else from Oregon had similar experiences??

I'm a MSW social worker in Phoenix AZ & don't find Arizona to be a particularly social work friendly state.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

outlier53 in West Des Moines, Iowa

53 months ago

carstee in Glendale, Arizona said: I would NEVER go to portland if you want to make more than 10 an hour. I moved out of oregon and came back to AZ due to the low wages/people working for free/ flooded market in Oregon.

Hi,

Not sure if you'll get this since it's been over year, but it's worth a try....I am working to move to Tucson soon. I already have the reciprocal LCSW for Az and have over 10 years experience (6 of it was in private practice) working with adults & adolescents, especially for early life trauma. I'm an overall good therapist, can work with most anything. I want a substantial job, but am willing to even work temp just to get out there (and out of Iowa!). I lived in San Diego for 20 years before getting my education, I really 'belong' WEST NOT MID west! '-)

Do you know what the temp agencies are, in the Tucson area, that hire social workers. In my internet searches for jobs, I found a temp agency that said they need people that can facilitate trauma groups. I can and HAVE done that, quite a bit. However, I can't seem to find their website again. Any other ideas about facilities, especially treatment facilities would be appreciated, too. I already know about Cottonwood, Sierra Tucson and In Balance Ranch.

thanks so much

notanMSW in Staten Island, New York

53 months ago

I am not a BSW or MSW, but have a BA in Human Development. I currently live in NYC and all the jobs I have been able to obtain (management/supervisory positions) have been averaging in the 40s. After looking for other jobs in NYC and other states, obviously me obtaining my masters would push me up a significant amount. Because of this I am having trouble finding a job that will keep me at this pay level. I really want to leave NYC and have a more stress-free life, short commute, etc. Anyone know of good places to find jobs with my degree? I've been in social service field for 12+ years now working with a variety of different populations served. Florida definitely hasn't been a great place to look as the pay scale is much much lower!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

mpruitt1973 in Yadkinville, North Carolina

53 months ago

I have lived in North Carolina all of my life...and love it.I live in a small town.I just received my bachelors in Human Services and see that there are quite a few jobs available in the social work area here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

frugalmama in Peoria, Arizona

53 months ago

I have an MSW degree with 1o years of experience. I am experiencing a degree of "burnout" and I am wondering whether or not anyone has any suggestions for alternative career options without additional schooling.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

DadMike in Maryland

53 months ago

frugalmama in Peoria, Arizona said: I have an MSW degree with 1o years of experience. I am experiencing a degree of "burnout" and I am wondering whether or not anyone has any suggestions for alternative career options without additional schooling.

Depends on what you were doing! There is such a variety of social work jobs- I did private foster care for a few years, worked about 2 years in corrections, and I now have a bout 9 years in child abuse investigations; there's hospital work (ER crisis intervention, discharge planning, patient advocacy, case management), clinical therapy work, addictions counseling, homeless services, grant writing and research for foundations, federal jobs for military counseling or VA; etc.; alot of social workers go into sales, too, using their people skills; If I ever really burn out completely, I'm taking my years of culinary experience that put me through school and opening a pizza place!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

You should tell us, you have lived in more geographic areas than most social workers. How was NYC, what is the market there, what was it's salary range?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.