School

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Kristen in Saint Louis, Missouri

76 months ago

I am just starting college, and I am interested in being a spanish-english interpreter, but I am clueless on what classes and what degrees I will need, also, how many years I will have to go to school to be one??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Bo Luda in Los Angeles, California

76 months ago

Clueless indeed. Becoming an interpreter is NOT about sitting your butt in a classroom for X amount of time then cashing in on a diploma. It's a lifelong learning process wherein you're exposed to two or more languages and eventually master them. You could be the best interpreter in the world and NEVER have stepped into a classroom. You know, like your president who never stepped into a classroom, except in his case he never learned anything anyway.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Justmoved

60 months ago

Kristen in Saint Louis, Missouri said: I am just starting college, and I am interested in being a spanish-english interpreter, but I am clueless on what classes and what degrees I will need, also, how many years I will have to go to school to be one??

You should try colleges that have actual interpreting/translating certificate programs. You also need to make sure you have the language skills necessary. Therefore, a major in the language you want to interpret for will help.

However, I have met interpreters with Masters in Spanish who aren't worth crap as interpreters! So, it really depends on your own skills.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Marcella Francini in Elmhurst, New York

60 months ago

Research the Souther California School in Interpretation. They give online courses and thier prices are reasonable.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.