Getting a superintendent job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (17)

Host

How did you get your start doing superintendent work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

bekim boshnjakaj in Bronx, New York

86 months ago

i think for my age no one have the certificates that i do have. ive been i this business for about 8 years. i know i look of think incluide hvac, pluming , electrical, panit plaster, ect

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

grant in Asheville, North Carolina

83 months ago

Host said: How did you get your start doing superintendent work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Not necessarily. i have been a super for only 4 years, but have ecelled past a 6 figure income in that time. i have worked for 3 TOP ENR 400 GC's. I never even graduated from high school.DETERMINATION and Attention to detail.Drive/ambition/diligence and the abilty to think on your feet.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Mike O'Sullivan in Puyallup, Washington

83 months ago

Let's get real. I have worked as a forman in the union for five years highflying commercial projects such as the "Seahawks Stadium" and "Sea-Tac Expansion Project." I have 3 years apprecticeship training, 1 year business management, 1 year architectural drafting, and even a year of theology study. I started as a laborer improving and expanding my knowledge of construction in every aspect possible. Stick framing, gang forms, concrete, finish carpentry and all the trades that come togethor to make a finished product. A superintendent understands not just a narrow field of the job but anticipates the dyanamic nature of field work and the managerial duties involved. Paperwork, computer literacy, and a basic understanding of human relations is paramount for success.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Tony in Boston, Massachusetts

74 months ago

I have to agree with both Grant in Asheville, NC & Mike in Wash. I also started as a labor and moved up quickly. I received my license after 1 1/2 yrs and moved in to the supers position shortly after. I've been a super for 2 yrs, but it was because of dedication, being on time/stay late, always willing to do what it takes to get the job done, willing to learn, determination, and most of all respect that I was able to succeed. I was told by another super when I first started that it's a tough job but if I stay with it, it does pay well. I haven't reached the pay well part just yet but I did make employee of the year.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Ole' Carpenter's Brat in Nixa, Missouri

71 months ago

grant in Asheville, North Carolina said: Not necessarily. i have been a super for only 4 years, but have ecelled past a 6 figure income in that time. i have worked for 3 TOP ENR 400 GC's. I never even graduated from high school.DETERMINATION and Attention to detail.Drive/ambition/diligence and the abilty to think on your feet.

Really?????

Then tell us, who do you work for Grant?
Please, do share.
And why are all of you on "indeed jobs?"
You can not "fake it til you make it " in this industry,and it's alot more than ambition and attentiveness. You have to have "TRUE" people skills,you see under the surface of being a Superintendent is "PATIENCE",and endurance.
Clientele is never wrong and you "will" appease them until the end and beyond c of o.
My husband is a fantastic man and traveling superintendent for 18 yrs. You sacrafic more than the giving of yourself, your family can sometimes suffer too.
So look @ all the benefits (pro' and con')before anyone of you beside to give up the stay @ home life and let's not forget about our economy, it's horrible and alot of G.C.' see this and will try and negotiate their way out of anything to line their pockets
and this encludes your salary.
Yes, it is good money, my advise to you is to save 1/2 your pierdiem and send the rest home, then @ years end see how much you've saved.....Dad's, Husband's, gentlemen.....It's well worth it. You can afford to just work part-time in the off season's!!!
Best of luck to all of you hard worker's.
Ole' Carpenter's Brat

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

J.Keresztes@verizon.net in New York, New York

69 months ago

bekim boshnjakaj in Bronx, New York said: i think for my age no one have the certificates that i do have. ive been i this business for about 8 years. i know i look of think incluide hvac, pluming , electrical, panit plaster, ect

what certificates do you have ? i been in this business for 25 years and have over 15 certificates

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Oscar Hernandez in Monterrey, Mexico

62 months ago

J.Keresztes@verizon.net in New York, New York said: what certificates do you have ? i been in this business for 25 years and have over 15 certificates

Hi good afternoon,

I am looking for drywall installers, stucco and plaster workers who are willing to work in Canada. $22CAD per hour.

If intrested email resume to oscar@iibc.ca

Thank you,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nathan Mark in Norfolk, Virginia

61 months ago

A four year Engineering degree would get you in most companies. But why would you want to take the job of superintendent with those credentials? A two year degree would get you behind most P.M. desks, and probably land you a superintendent position with a little experience. The role of a job site superintendent has never been clearly defined in any organizational handbook that I have ever read, and I've spent the last ten years as one. I came up through the carpenters trade, and learned everything on the job. You don't have to have credentials to get the job necessarily, but in this economy, to be competitive about finding a new one after being laid off, it would appear that without some piece of paper from somebody who has little or no idea how to assemble a hard hat, you might not get a call back for an interview.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

dant1234

61 months ago

I have worked in the golf course industry for many years and I would say that if you can find a course that you like stay if the owner will let you. Becouse it is hard to find anther job .I know becouse I am looking right now and will to go any where to be a golf course superintendent.

60 months ago

dant1234 said: I have worked in the golf course industry for many years and I would say that if you can find a course that you like stay if the owner will let you. Becouse it is hard to find anther job .I know becouse I am looking right now and will to go any where to be a golf course superintendent.

Hello Dant,

We have vacancies as landscapers..are u still intrested?
Send us your resume

Regards,

dant1234

60 months ago

Oscar Hernandez in Monterrey, Mexico said: Hello Dant,

We have vacancies as landscapers..are u still intrested?
Send us your resume

Regards,

where do I send my resumae to ?

60 months ago

oscar@iibc.ca

express employment professionals in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

60 months ago

Host said: How did you get your start doing superintendent work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

I'm actually looking for a Production Supervisor/Shop Foreman. (Florence, KY) If you have experience, please reply with a number I can reach you at. Express Employment Professionals, Florence, KY Thanks.

Bekim B in Brooklyn, New York

60 months ago

I have been in building maintenace for 9 yeras i start it when i was 18 now im 27, i worked construction too, i do have all certificate that buliding reiquares, i also do have a/c refrigeraton and EPA avalible, i have been working in hotel industry for 10 year 2 years as superintendent, and im intersting to be super again , i have a knowlege of plumbing ,electric, carpenty,painting, a/c ref,, etc,
my resume is avalable
thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

aaroncuesta977 in New York, New York

49 months ago

For work in New York City

HVAC CERTIFICATION
BOILER #6 LICENCE
SPRINKLER AND STAMPIPE CITY WIDE LICENCE
BASIC PLUMBIN AND ELECTRICAL

j.keresztes@verizon.net in Bronx, New York

49 months ago

you need #6 oil , standpipe, sprinkler, air compressor. fire safety director,e.p.a. universal. nyc refrigeration engineer and these would be good to have d.e.p. 7g cooling tower treatment, lead paint certification, rat management, emergency management.the more you have the better!!!!

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.