Surgical Techs in NEW JERSEY

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 241)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Miltex Boy in Edison, New Jersey

73 months ago

Are you currently employed as Surgical Techs? If there is vacancy in your workplace, drop us here a message. We would like to be the first to know since you are inside. If ever you will be resigning or its your co-worker, well kindly DONT WAIT. Some folks I heard said that some Techs are pulled from the CSR and trained as an OR Tech by employees themselves. They didnt went to school! We cant let them do that. Why? because they are not adequately informed. What will the surgical team think of us? its not the same when you went schooling versus when you are just trained in-house.

If there is an opening, Im interested to work in Central New Jersey area.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

DISAPP LADY in Edison, New Jersey

73 months ago

Spent all this money to get educated as as surg tech. Can't get hired. Most want year's experience, or rn act as tech. I really enjoyed this field and hope to get employed as one

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Annie in Whittier, California

73 months ago

I graduate 2007 and still not working as a ST. I'm tired of looking but at least I have a job as an MA. Lucy me. I still want to work as an ST maybe some day. I guess I just need to keep looking but sometimes it can get depressing! I also paid a lot o money for school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

chelsea30 in Riverdale, Illinois

73 months ago

Welcome to the club people I graduated in 07 and it will be a year in august and I have student loans to pay off this is going on everywhere. This should be made known everywhere to prevent people from pursuing a career as a surgical tech and waisting their time and money or hospitals should get sued for discrimination against new grads and every school that is offering a surgical tech program should also get sued if the student does not find a job within 6 months.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

Anybody here already works in a hospital? kindly share some insights in getting hired in a place where there is hardly layoff not unless it gets closed. I want to work in a hospital but it takes too long for my name to get pulled.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

Annie in Whittier, California said: I graduate 2007 and still not working as a ST. I'm tired of looking but at least I have a job as an MA. Lucy me. I still want to work as an ST maybe some day. I guess I just need to keep looking but sometimes it can get depressing! I also paid a lot o money for school.

Annie, youre a woman and odds are greater for you and Chelsea30. I heard there are males too as ORT but you ladies gets hired first. I dont know why. My internship is my only ticket and sometimes, experienced Techs wont let me scrub untill I get some experience first. Those Techs must have not started like us, or taking vengeance at beginers. In the future, will you get even to those beginers too wishing to get in? Whats your opinion to this?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Astig in Perth Amboy, New Jersey

70 months ago

Hello, Im glad theres a Forum for ST. Im a newbie too just finished this June08. I noticed we canot apply in person nowadays. All online. I went to major hospitals and wont even take my Resume+ cover letter on a neat and thick resume paper.

This SBHCS, as if the turnover in this hospital is so fast. Ive been noticing this when I was yet schooling. Anybody knows this place SBHCS?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jay in Lake Hopatcong, New Jersey

70 months ago

Astig in Perth Amboy, New Jersey said: Hello, Im glad theres a Forum for ST. Im a newbie too just finished this June08. I noticed we canot apply in person nowadays. All online. I went to major hospitals and wont even take my Resume+ cover letter on a neat and thick resume paper.

This SBHCS, as if the turnover in this hospital is so fast. Ive been noticing this when I was yet schooling. Anybody knows this place SBHCS?

St Barnabas Health Care System

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

myriam in Wharton, New Jersey

69 months ago

Please don't give up, we are part of one of most rewarding professions in the world. The economy is bad, nothing to do with our jobs. Congratulations to the new graduates. Now we need to used litlle unconvencional ways to get a job. Get your resume and cover letter and send it directly to OR. managers. Find the phone number call and ask for them. Check in couple days if they get it. Remember the person who pick up the phone is from the same profession

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Crystal Pullen in Elizabeth, New Jersey

68 months ago

I am going to be attending Sanford Browne Institute for Surgical Tech. Any thoughts on the school? I read some of the above comments abouyt finding employment, and it's a little discouraging.. But overall, at least i can look for a job as a MA if nothing comes of this.
I just dont want to spend all that money and get nothing in return but a large loan~!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Starting New in Willingboro, New Jersey

68 months ago

I recently lost my job of 10 years at a trucking company and I was the breadwinner in my family. I have two kids and my husband has had medical issues here and there. After the company closed, I new this was my only chance to actually do something that I can be proud of and something that was meaningful, I have always wanted to do something in the medical field. I actually always wanted to be a nurse but financial issues and timing limited me. I researched related careers and became extremely interested in Surg Tech. I have been given the opportunity of going to a tech school and will be starting next week. I am extremely excited but also extremely terrified because I am responsible for the future of my family and I am hoping that I am making the right decision with making this huge leap.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

that is the best decisionyou just maked to go to school, when gets into the clinical you must go into a Hospital OR. ask for a job right there, be good, be strong,be proffesional. Doctors check on you. be polite,but don't talk to much.Work by the book. especially in the begining you will fill much more secure if you remember what you had learn. congratulations for you decision to start school.this is a beautiful profession !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

myriam in Wharton, New Jersey said: that is the best decisionyou just maked to go to school, when gets into the clinical you must go into a Hospital OR. ask for a job right there, be good, be strong,be proffesional. Doctors check on you. be polite,but don't talk to much.Work by the book. especially in the begining you will fill much more secure if you remember what you had learn. congratulations for you decision to start school.this is a beautiful profession !

Thanks Myriam. I just started school this week and so far so good, I know that this will be a rewarding career for me that I and my family will be proud of. Im probably getting ahead of myself in asking but is it best to get a job in a hospital first or would you recommend starting out at a private field?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

staring in a hospital will be very stressful, but you will have a full exposure. I believe is the best place to start. When I when to school our rotation was between three differents hospitals. That was perfect. where do your clinical is going to be?Is ok to make plans already, you can even apply in the hospital for a part-time job in another department per example central proccesing department, because at the same time you will learn the instruments and usually people that is IN already has much better chance to get the job after graduation. Telling you again, this is a beautiful job.proud of all of us.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Shameka in Dallas, Texas

68 months ago

I have to agree with some of you. I graduated 4 years ago....yes I said 4 years ago. I still have yet to became a surgical tech. I have went to every hospital I can think of in the Dallas metroplex, and they want you to have experience at least six months. My question is how is it you want me to have experience when you wont hire me to gain experience. They want you to have 6 months to 2 years experience. Also with that being said, when you are hire to a hospital they have to train you how the surgeons like to handle surgery, so why is it I need experience. I was really discourage when I graduated and could not find a jog as a ST, but now I am attempting to go at FULL FORCE! So I say to you guys don give up KEEP TRYING!!!!!!!

67 months ago

god for you!! make's not sense right? even if you have experience they trained you for 3 months???? but that is how it is. Be strong and the best of luck. congra for the AST week from the 20th to the 27th of september.

New Student in North Arlington, New Jersey

67 months ago

Hello! Me and my sister are considering going to school for ST and wanted to know how an actual ST got their break?

Once completed, If you dont already have the "2 years" experience, what are the cleaver ways to getting your foot in the door?

Any comments will be appreciated!

maroon in Dallas, Texas

67 months ago

New Student in North Arlington, New Jersey said: Hello! Me and my sister are considering going to school for ST and wanted to know how an actual ST got their break?

Once completed, If you dont already have the "2 years" experience, what are the cleaver ways to getting your foot in the door?

Any comments will be appreciated![He/QUOTE]

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

maroon in Dallas, Texas

67 months ago

[hHi
aving issues
QUOTE who="maroon in Dallas, Texas"]

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

maroon in Dallas, Texas said:

try to get a job as a nursing assistant or nurses aid. Look for any positions in the OR.if is not any try the floors or the central proccesing department. You can do that before going to school or during that time, when you graduate you apply for a transfer, time goes fast. Hope this tips help

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jenifer E in Fredericksburg, Virginia

66 months ago

Did I read correctly, that some of you haven't managed to find a job for years or ever after graduating from school? Something just isn't right with that picture. If you graduated 'years ago' and haven't scored a job in this profession yet, then it is time to move on. Find something else to do with your life. Obviously, the OR isn't your gig. If it was, then you {general you} would have gotten into this field by hook or crook. It sounds to me like folk here are just waiting for someone to hold your hand and guide you into the job of your dreams, instead of making it happen for yourself.

When I graduated from school, there were 9 of us in our class and each one of us managed to find a job. This was in NH, not a metro area with a huge number of hospitals, surgery centers etc and lots of options. I took a job on OB, then kept searching for a job in a main OR. It took me almost 3 years before a position opened up and I landed the job that I wanted.

At least I was keeping my skills up by working in some aspect of what I went to school for. I haven't a clue whether or not folk here are doing to keep up with their skills and education,. No one will hire you if you can't remember what is the difference between a straight Mayo and a curved Mayo is or which side of the body that the appendix is on.

As an employer, there is NO way that I would hire someone who'd been out of school for years and never held a job in this field. There is a huge learning curve for new CSTs entering the workforce.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

I agree 100% with you,If you can not get in through the OR. get in through Sterile supplies department where you can work with instruments, Laboratory, nursing assistant, endoscopy,... anything to get in.

66 months ago

I'm currently attending school for Surgical Technology and wanted to know if it was a good idea to try and get a volunteer position at a hospital while Im attending? I was going to see if I could volunteer in the sterile processing department. I was thinking that if I did that (im not sure if they will allow me to volunteer in that dept or not), it would help once I'm finished school to land me a job in that hospital or another rather sooner than later...plus the benefits of reinforcing what I learn at school in regards to instruments. I have an interview next week with the volunteer office and I wanted to know if someone who is already a surg tech thinks that would be a good idea or not.

former SB student in Little Falls, New Jersey

66 months ago

SANDFORD BROWN ISELIN WILL GIVE YOU NOTHING BUT GREIF FROM THE PRESIDENT ON DOWN THE LINE THE SURG TECH FACULTY IS ATROCIOUS I HIGHLY RECOMMENDTHE PROGRAM JUST NOT THE SCHOOL IF YOUR REALLY DEDICATED DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND DONT ENROLL THERE

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Philly bound Heather in Melbourne, Florida

65 months ago

Hi all. How is the job market in the philly /jersery area? I am a surgical tech in OB (with 4 years experience) and I want to stay in OB! Any suggestions? I am relocating to Philly from Florida to finish school at Temple. I have applied to many different hospitals but still no bites.

MichelleCST in Newark, New Jersey

65 months ago

Jay in Lake Hopatcong, New Jersey said: St Barnabas Health Care System

Yes I work there as a Nursing Assistant. pretty cool place

Grnidsurgtech

65 months ago

I notice alot of us are looking for strickly ST positions. I have been told just as a FOOT IN THE DOOR deal look into SPD (sterile processing dept) jobs. then you have a better chance of transfering out of a dept. than being a new hire from out side. I have been told also that outside hire is the last case scenario. They go from with in first then they will go outside to look for applicants. Talk to people you know that have jobs in places look for part time/per diem. I am willing to get my foot in the system for a while then go to the OR. I need a job just like all of you and I am graduating in 5 days. My Career dept i feel has been quite helpful for me. Good luck to everyone and hang in there. And for those of you not far from NYC---LOOK INTO THERE!! There are alot of hospitals in NYC.

Grnidsurgtech in Dumont, New Jersey

64 months ago

Astig in Perth Amboy, New Jersey said: Hello, Im glad theres a Forum for ST. Im a newbie too just finished this June08. I noticed we canot apply in person nowadays. All online. I went to major hospitals and wont even take my Resume+ cover letter on a neat and thick resume paper.

I just got a Job in Saint Barnabas medical center...One reason you see alot of openings for them is they arent 1 hospital....SBHCS is like 10 facilities in NJ. Newark Beth, Clara Maas,SBMC itself, and ambulitory centers and outpatient facilities. They are HUGE...and they are a highly respected hospital...only burn facility in nj, they are quick to hire from within first.
If you get an opportunity to interview with them take it. They are real nice there...everyone I have come into contact with so far.

Roben in North Brunswick, New Jersey

63 months ago

Starting New in Willingboro, New Jersey said: I'm currently attending school for Surgical Technology and wanted to know if it was a good idea to try and get a volunteer position at a hospital while Im attending? I was going to see if I could volunteer in the sterile processing department. I was thinking that if I did that (im not sure if they will allow me to volunteer in that dept or not), it would help once I'm finished school to land me a job in that hospital or another rather sooner than later...plus the benefits of reinforcing what I learn at school in regards to instruments. I have an interview next week with the volunteer office and I wanted to know if someone who is already a surg tech thinks that would be a good idea or not.

Its hard to go straight to ORT. Some of us either work as PCT,CNA in SPD or Transport. In SPD or as an OR-PCT where I am, you will not forget most of what you have learned from school. In fact you will learn more, that includes the supplies used in the surgery cases.

This is my forst post even if I am a frequent visitor here. I noticed there are many of us now here that took the same course and its good sharing ideas.

Roben

dissapointed mom in Raleigh, North Carolina

61 months ago

i worked in a big hospital in new jersey as a st for almost 2 years ,i just moved to north carolina 4 months ago since then i've been looking for a job i could not find one even with my experience,i will appreciate it if somebody live in the area give me an advice

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Eric in Williamstown, New Jersey

61 months ago

Hello Iam thinking about going to school also for surgical tech. I see you live in south Jersey also.. what school are you attending? Please email me and let me know how school is coming along and your likes and dis-likes. My email is ericafields1@yahoo.com. I really would like to hear back from you! And let me know if you have had any job offers after you finish school. I want to get in this fields but I want to see how other ppl feel about school and jobs!

61 months ago

now when the economy is really bad is the best time to try new career. It is not easy, but that what you really want,go for!!

Sandy

61 months ago

Hello...I was wondering if anybody is attending or recently graduated from Star Technical Institute. I am seriously thinking of enrolling in the Surgical Technology program and any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Michelle in Newark, New Jersey

61 months ago

Sandy said: Hello...I was wondering if anybody is attending or recently graduated from Star Technical Institute. I am seriously thinking of enrolling in the Surgical Technology program and any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Hello and how are you? I just graduated in January. I am just waiting to be called I applied to several hospitals here where I am, Jersey. I am a Nursing Assistant but can't wait until I am out of this position and into Surgical Tech. I enjoyed my externship and so did the people that trained me, they were very nice and helpful. I really enjoyed the knee replacements and double mastectomy, with that one, I was on one side and my preceptor was onthe other, so technically I was on my own, was over whelming but I held it down, was fun and learned alot. The Drs are cool some are intense, but its all a learning experience. Can't wait until I am getting paid for it.

61 months ago

Grnidsurgtech in Dumont, New Jersey said: I just got a Job in Saint Barnabas medical center...One reason you see alot of openings for them is they arent 1 hospital....SBHCS is like 10 facilities in NJ. Newark Beth, Clara Maas,SBMC itself, and ambulitory centers and outpatient facilities. They are HUGE...and they are a highly respected hospital...only burn facility in nj, they are quick to hire from within first.
If you get an opportunity to interview with them take it. They are real nice there...everyone I have come into contact with so far.

Are you in the Main OR, I work at SB's. What shift are you? I do 11-7 CNA

Grnidsurgtech in Dumont, New Jersey

61 months ago

Michelle in Newark, New Jersey said: Are you in the Main OR, I work at SB's. What shift are you? I do 11-7 CNA

I work the 7-3 shift...but they are always looking and they hire surg techs! They are looking for 3-11 and 11 - 7 or even PER DIEM! www.SBHCS.com i believe is the site if you are interested. You are close to Livingston so Id look into it.

61 months ago

I applied for that spot but not goin to take it, need something stable, I have a family to take care of. Need to know what my paycheck is going to be every week

Eric in Williamstown, New Jersey

61 months ago

Has anyone been threw the Surg Tech program at Camden County College or know anyone who has been threw it?

yankeegurl62 in Gainesville, Florida

61 months ago

Starting New in Willingboro, New Jersey said: I recently lost my job of 10 years at a trucking company and I was the breadwinner in my family. I have two kids and my husband has had medical issues here and there. After the company closed, I new this was my only chance to actually do something that I can be proud of and something that was meaningful, I have always wanted to do something in the medical field. I actually always wanted to be a nurse but financial issues and timing limited me. I researched related careers and became extremely interested in Surg Tech. I have been given the opportunity of going to a tech school and will be starting next week. I am extremely excited but also extremely terrified because I am responsible for the future of my family and I am hoping that I am making the right decision with making this huge leap.

Hey, how are you doing? I'm in school myself, and I am working very hard at learning as much as I can. We have just started with SST....and will soon be learning Aseptic tech. Love it!!

61 months ago

Hi I'm a student surge tech, and I'm excited about the career field. I still in class right now, but being a single parent, and grandparent===I need to keep my Spirits up, so I dream and look a job sites. There are lots of jobs avab. in our career field----and there are some who will hire newbies...BUT...heres the catch....it seems the ones who hire newbies, require transfering out of state. At this point of my life, I'm willing to do what ever it takes to start working!! I've got 6 more months left....and its' been hard, but I love it. Would love to hear from those who are in the field now...any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

61 months ago

Shameka in Dallas, Texas said: I have to agree with some of you. I graduated 4 years ago....yes I said 4 years ago. I still have yet to became a surgical tech. I have went to every hospital I can think of in the Dallas metroplex, and they want you to have experience at least six months. My question is how is it you want me to have experience when you wont hire me to gain experience. They want you to have 6 months to 2 years experience. Also with that being said, when you are hire to a hospital they have to train you how the surgeons like to handle surgery, so why is it I need experience. I was really discourage when I graduated and could not find a jog as a ST, but now I am attempting to go at FULL FORCE! So I say to you guys don give up KEEP TRYING!!!!!!!

Stupid question on my part....did you have clinicals? I know here in Florida you have to have 600 hrs, and those are hours that are actual hands on so to speak. Also, did you get a certificate, or a degree?

61 months ago

Sandy said: Hello...I was wondering if anybody is attending or recently graduated from Star Technical Institute. I am seriously thinking of enrolling in the Surgical Technology program and any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Hey Sandy, I'm currently in rolled in Surgical Tech school. It's hard but WELL worth it!! If you can, find a course that gives you an AS degree.....not just a certificate. Just my thoughts...

Nancy in Mooresville, North Carolina

60 months ago

dissapointed mom in Raleigh, North Carolina said: i worked in a big hospital in new jersey as a st for almost 2 years ,i just moved to north carolina 4 months ago since then i've been looking for a job i could not find one even with my experience,i will appreciate it if somebody live in the area give me an advice

I am in the same boat...moved to NC recently. Was a CST in NYC BUT have been out of the work force for 5 years raising babies. Id love to discuss this with you a little more. Im closer to Charlotte.

dissapointed mom in Raleigh, North Carolina

60 months ago

actually just i got phone call for interview last week give me your email adress

60 months ago

Hey good for you !! Please contact me at nmancinibedell@aol.com I look forward to discussing this. Right now im updating my resume & cover letter...i have to re-certify though...i let it lapse bkz i became a stay at home mom....now my hub is retired and I WANT to go back to work.

60 months ago

Nancy in Mooresville, North Carolina said: Hey good for you !! Please contact me at nmancinibedell@aol.com I look forward to discussing this. Right now im updating my resume & cover letter...i have to re-certify though...i let it lapse bkz i became a stay at home mom....now my hub is retired and I WANT to go back to work.

If you can afford it, get your self the Appleton and Lange CST study guide, also, renew your AST membership, if you can and order their CST study guide....that way you have a number of questions to study from, and can prepare yourself for what even they may ask for on the test. Prepare, prepare, prepare!! Good luck and let me know how you do!! Many, many blessings!!

60 months ago

Yeah, I already re-joined the AST, Im waiting for my membership card. Im planning on taking the online review test they offer on goamp.com. It will be a process but i hope im fortunate enough to be scrubbin' again in a couple of months. You know im sure if i go through some old boxes I just may find my old Applton Lange guide!

60 months ago

I love the energy that is going on in our forum right now. Remember Healthcare field it is the strongest working field right now. And the OR. is the heart.Keep trying, estate certified, be proud. I heard It is a new big Surgical Center in Florham Park NJ. the person in charge of hiring name is Marco. they are doing bariatric surgery, endo, eyes and I don't know what else. I will found out more this week end, but if anybody has more info pass it out.I do not looking for me but maybe can help somebody else. PLEASE HELP EACH OTHER, BE NICE,BE PROUD

acruz626 in Hacienda Heights, California

59 months ago

Hi everyone
I graduated from st school in sept 2008, month later i found a job at Huntington memorial hospital ( level 2 trauma ) as a Central Sterile tech, i learned ALOT! yet i miss scrubbing love working with instrumentation. I say they shut down the Trade schools that offer ST classes or limit the amount of people they can have. i mean theirs 50 schools in Los Angeles county alone every 4 months 25-30 Surgical Techs Graduate..... we cant keep up there is to many and i think LA has reached its capacity.. I'm really lucky i even have a job, but not to happy that am in CS. I have a friend that trained me in spinal surgery ( which i LOVE NUERO! ) said he can train me where i currently work, he also works @ HMH, still WAITING ! i need to get CERTIFIED.!

1 way in, get CERTIFIED, APPLY @ Kaiser and they train you for 3 months. ( a Friend i know did that ) ( which am planning to do also )

its pretty weird tho theirs not a lot of people my age where i work i'm only 20, everyones over 25-?? LoL!

[ST] SCRUB_TECHS !! :D <3 LOVE IT!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Paul_E_Tech in So Cal, California

59 months ago

acruz626 in Hacienda Heights, California said: Hi everyone
I graduated from st school in sept 2008, month later i found a job at Huntington memorial hospital ( level 2 trauma ) as a Central Sterile tech, i learned ALOT! yet i miss scrubbing love working with instrumentation. I say they shut down the Trade schools that offer ST classes or limit the amount of people they can have. i mean theirs 50 schools in Los Angeles county alone every 4 months 25-30 Surgical Techs Graduate..... we cant keep up there is to many and i think LA has reached its capacity.. I'm really lucky i even have a job, but not to happy that am in CS. I have a friend that trained me in spinal surgery ( which i LOVE NUERO! ) said he can train me where i currently work, he also works @ HMH, still WAITING ! i need to get CERTIFIED.!

1 way in, get CERTIFIED, APPLY @ Kaiser and they train you for 3 months. ( a Friend i know did that ) ( which am planning to do also )

its pretty weird tho theirs not a lot of people my age where i work i'm only 20, everyones over 25-?? LoL!

[ST] SCRUB_TECHS !! :D <3 LOVE IT!

Congrats on getting work. Pretty competitive down here with all the schools i hear ya. Thx for the advice.

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.