First Asisant Certified Surgical Tech

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 125)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

Kim in Orlando, Florida

75 months ago

I am currently working as a CST and I wanted to know how to go about becoming a CSTFA, and do you make more money with the extra tranning. Where are some places to get certified for that in Orlando FL and is the certification accepted nation wide.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

keri in Kissimmee, Florida

75 months ago

Hi kim,
Did you go to school here in orlando?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kim in Orlando, Florida

75 months ago

Yes, I did I have been working in the OR at Central Florida Regional Hospital in Sanford for almost eight years. I went to High Tech Inst In Orlando FL, and I took my certification with National Center for Competency Testing. Iam interested in becoming a CSTFA.Could you guide me in the right direction I am thinging about traveling and so I need something that I will beable to be certified no matter what state I work in. Iam already a CST but someone told me that because I went through NCCT for my certification that I was only certified in FL and no where else is that true.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Miltex Boy in Edison, New Jersey

75 months ago

Kim, do we look like we are experienced Techs here? Usualy when a tech has grown wings in a job you dont find them here being honest. Thats the truth! Go to AST for that matter, as for here mostly are newbies trying to find their ways. Have you ate least shared to us how got that job in the first place?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Concorde Tech in Jacksonville, Florida

74 months ago

Hey now there are some seasoned techs that visit the forum from time to time. lol.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Gone Fishin in Houston, Texas

73 months ago

Kim, you can become a First Assistant without being certified. There is a huge disparity in salaries between a tech and assistant depending upon the state you reside. Being a self employed first assistant is where the big money is. You will need to complete a Surgical First Assisting Program. Make sure it is a Caahep accredited program or you are wasting your time and money. My personal reccomendation would be Meridian Institute of Surgical Assiting,(www.meridian-institute.com) an Online program that can be completed in 12 months or less and best of all from your home at your leisure. No such thing as CSTFA, this an erroneous credential. If you complete a CAAHEP accredited program you will be eligible to become a CSA or CFA.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Mandylynn in Levittown, New York

72 months ago

helllooo people!

i am a CST in New York and i am moving to sarasota florida! here in NY there is NO such thing as a CFA or CSA we just have surgical physician assisatnts! but in florida i would like to go to school and be a CFA! how long is this school, do you know of any schools around there that are ACCREDITED AND NOT ONLINE. and what the diff b/w a CST's salary in florida then a CFA in florida! thanku!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Dustin in Irvine, California

71 months ago

I have been a tech for about 9 years, i am a CST/CFA. I received my license through NBSTSA, the main guys. I did not go through the school i just challenged the boards (go to NBSTSA website for more info on that). A friend wo I was working with went through NIFA, theres a website for that too. Bottom line, you can bill insurance, you get your priviledges at the hospitals and assist surgeons. If you hustle you can make around 10,000 a month. Make sure you live in a state that lets tech assistants work. California (among others)does not.good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Lee in Aurora, Illinois

71 months ago

Dustin in Irvine, California said: I have been a tech for about 9 years, i am a CST/CFA. I received my license through NBSTSA, the main guys. I did not go through the school i just challenged the boards (go to NBSTSA website for more info on that). A friend wo I was working with went through NIFA, theres a website for that too. Bottom line, you can bill insurance, you get your priviledges at the hospitals and assist surgeons. If you hustle you can make around 10,000 a month. Make sure you live in a state that lets tech assistants work. California (among others)does not.good luck.

Hi Dustin, I am not sure that I am clear on this comment. How does one working as a surgical tech or a first assistant (or both) make 10,000 dollars a month. I am in CST school right now and am very interested in this comment. If it's not too much trouble could you please post again and expand on what you said in the first comment. I would really like to know more about this. Thank You.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Gone Fishin in Houston, Texas

71 months ago

Lee, while you are awaiting Dutin's reply I'll jump in and just submit that he is right in the fact that as a Certified First Assitant the opportunities financially are endless and entirely up to you. It is very possible to make $10,000.00 a month and even more. I don't believe you will make that right out of the gate but I do believe it won't take long depending upon your motivation, work ethic, and geographical location. The most advantageous route in my opinion is becoming self employed and billing insurance companies directly. The first thing is to become certified and to do that you must take a CAAHEP accredited assisting program. NIFA was mentioned... this is not an accredited program and you will not be able to sit for a nationally recognized certification! They have their own formulated certification but it isn't recognized by anyone except within their own organization. It is just very important to take a CAAHEP accredited program.

Gabriel in Long Beach, California

70 months ago

HI everyone, My name is Gabriel, I reside in the Long Beach area in Cali. Im a student at an Accredited CAHEEP program, at Glendale Career College in Glendale CA and Im about to go into my externships in approx. 2 weeks. I am getting into the CFA position after I graduate But want to know a little more about the dynamics about being a CFA. My dad has been a Surg. Tech for over twenty years but I dont think he knows the ladder to becoming a CFA. A surgeon I work with right now told me that in california hospitals dont really use CFAs that much becuase Techs can asess the situation to surgical procedures similarly but not fully, also they are paid less so they rather use a Tech. Anyways, he said that I need to record about approx. 250 Documented cases and take an exam to get the First Assistant position. But I had a question! Does that apply to a CSTFA only? Because I know you have to go to school for a CFA but where in california? If anyone could help me answer my Q I would appreciate. Thanks Gabriel.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tenika RomanCSt/CFA in Orlando, Florida

70 months ago

Kim in Orlando, Florida said: I am currently working as a CST and I wanted to know how to go about becoming a CSTFA, and do you make more money with the extra tranning. Where are some places to get certified for that in Orlando FL and is the certification accepted nation wide.

I am CST/CFA
Here were you can do.
It the best thing that ever happen to me and
crew a Womens Hopstial
www.nifaonlinecampus.com/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tenika Roman CST/CFA in Orlando, Florida

70 months ago

Good Luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

gloria martinez in Baltimore, Maryland

70 months ago

hey Tenika,
I was wondering! I am moving from Maryland to Orlando in about 1 month and I am searching for jobs over there and I have NO idea what a typical Surgical Tech makes in that area. I have 5 years experience and can scrub everything. Over here in Maryland we make about 27 to 45 dollars an hour. What is the range I can expect when I move there. Does 22 dollars an hour seem unrealistic? Please respond I have no one to help me with relocating.

70 months ago

KIM, I was wondering! I am moving from Maryland to Orlando in about 1 month and I am searching for jobs over there and I have NO idea what a typical Surgical Tech makes in that area. I have 5 years experience and can scrub everything. Over here in Maryland we make about 27 to 45 dollars an hour. What is the range I can expect when I move there. Does 22 dollars an hour seem unrealistic? Please respond I have no one to help me with relocating.
Thanks Gloria

Hannah K in Omaha, Nebraska

69 months ago

Gone Fishin/Texas...i noticed your comment about surgical tech and making well over 10,000 a month...i will be starting my surgical tech program in the fall at Iowa Western...i would really like to know how to get started and if i should get my CST or CSTFA which will benefit me more in the long run?? i would like to know what states have the best pay rate...living in small town Nebraska..we dont have much to offer unless you are an RN...
One more side note...i am very intrested in childrens surgical...what is the best way to go about finding a "Private Scrub tech"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

nancy in Orlando, Florida

68 months ago

Tenika Roman CST/CFA in Orlando, Florida said: Good Luck

Hey Tenika this is Nancy. I went to school with you for ST. I lost contact with you so if your still in orlando contact me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Shannon in Granite Bay, California

67 months ago

I graduated top of my class from a CAAHEP accredited Western Career College in California. I have completed my externship at a local hospital. I am seeking a position as a tech and it is proving to be near impossible. The Schools idea of job placement assistance is looking at a copy of your resume and supplying you with a list hospitals and their addresses and phone numbers.
Is there a specific way to approach seeking a position without 1 years experience? If anyone has a suggestions I would appreciate your input.
Thank You

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Julie in Sacramento, California

67 months ago

Shannon in Granite Bay, California said: I graduated top of my class from a CAAHEP accredited Western Career College in California. I have completed my externship at a local hospital. I am seeking a position as a tech and it is proving to be near impossible. The Schools idea of job placement assistance is looking at a copy of your resume and supplying you with a list hospitals and their addresses and phone numbers.
Is there a specific way to approach seeking a position without 1 years experience? If anyone has a suggestions I would appreciate your input.
Thank You

Shannon,

I live in Sacramento and am considering Western CC Surgical Tech program. I had an interview and they quoted me 35k before the financial aide. Was this about the same for you? I have been hearing its tough to find a job so I wish you the best of luck! You will find something! Where did you do you clinicals during school? Any advice you can give a prospective student and did you like the school?

Julie=)

Shannon in Granite Bay, California

67 months ago

Julie,
Last year when I went to my interview the quote was approximately 31k. That is before the federal grants. There are maximum of 10k avail. You may or may not qualify for the full amount, but you won't know until you are signed up and committed. It is extremely difficult finding a job. I would say 20% maybe less that have graduated and found work in the field. Right now the school is having internal issues with instructors so I would wait and see. If you are serious about it just know that the extern portion is non paid and it takes approximately 3 months to complete and you may have to commute as far as chico area. After you complete your course work yoy may wait up to 6 months to get a site. I hate to sound discouraging. It is a great career choice I would just take some time deciding if you are willing to sacrifice 18 months of your life and take it serious because as a tech peoples lives are in your hands.
Shannon =-)

Julie in Sacramento, California

67 months ago

Thanks Shannon, I wish you the best with your career! The program that I would be able to do-(am hours), does not start until July so I am still thinking....its frustrating when Western is the only accredited school so they can charge so much! I have worked in the medical field and love it, but they sure make it difficult don't they? Let me know if you find a job! That will give me some encouragment!lol. My back up plan is LVN so we'll see.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sierra in Granite Bay, California

67 months ago

LVN sounds good. I would keep looking at least for now. The school is looking for instructors due to internal issues. All I want to do is scrub a case again. It is killing me. I may have to relocate in order to do so. I have also worked in the medical field for years. That is what brought me here. All I know is that I need to get a job in the field before the 6 month grace period is up and I have to start paying back the 30ishK in loans for 12 months in the classroom and 3 months in the field commuting to a hospital over an hour away on my dime.
Good Luck
I have been looking for 2 months now and not even a bite.

j in Detroit, Michigan

66 months ago

Dustin in Irvine, California said: I have been a tech for about 9 years, i am a CST/CFA. I received my license through NBSTSA, the main guys. I did not go through the school i just challenged the boards (go to NBSTSA website for more info on that). A friend wo I was working with went through NIFA, theres a website for that too. Bottom line, you can bill insurance, you get your priviledges at the hospitals and assist surgeons. If you hustle you can make around 10,000 a month. Make sure you live in a state that lets tech assistants work. California (among others)does not.good luck.

You're correct in making sure you can bill as a FA in your state. In Michigan you are not eligible to bill many insurances unless you are a physician. Only physicians are able to bill Medicare/Medicaid and Blue Cross/Blue Shield in Michigan. As far as the duties or what you are able to do, it varies according to the institution. Some hospitals use CSTFA and many do not. Do your homework and good luck. j

linda r miller in Port Clinton, Ohio

66 months ago

Kim in Orlando, Florida said: I am currently working as a CST and I wanted to know how to go about becoming a CSTFA, and do you make more money with the extra tranning. Where are some places to get certified for that in Orlando FL and is the certification accepted nation wide.

You can take a totally online course that I happen to teach. It is in Elyria in Ohio at Lorain County Community College. My email is lmiller2@lorainccc.edu.

bob in Stony Brook, New York

66 months ago

The way I hear it you can bill a percentage of the surgions fee, But you may have to recover that from the surgeons practice as some places and ins cos wont pay fa's

Sierra in Roseville, California

66 months ago

I just graduated and have not found a job as a surgical tech. I did however get a job as a tissue recovery tech for $10/hr and I graduated top of my class. I traveled for more that an hour each way to do my clinicals for 3 months and after that they had no openings and are sending techs home early every day. The student loans in the amount of 32K kick in in the next 3 months. I hope that helps open your eyes to the fact you are definantly not the one getting screwed.

mandy in Levittown, New York

66 months ago

ohh man. Yea, if you are thinking of going to school to be a surgical tech, i would tell you to
1. go to med school.. if not 2. be a physican's assistant.. if not 3. be a nurse.. if not dont be in the healthcare field =) b/c even if u do land a job in a good hospital with okay pay, it stills SUCKS, everyone sits online in between cases talkin about what they should go to school for next.

SIERRA- being a CST you are qualified to do many other things. You can be a med assistant, dental assistant, ophthalmic tech, surgical booker, or a surgical rep. all od which in cali pay more then 10 an hour.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

bob in Stony Brook, New York

66 months ago

mcdonalds pays more then $10 an hour. Nicer people too

Juvie in Altamonte Springs in Altamonte Springs, Florida

66 months ago

Hello, I hope I'm contacting the right person here..Tenika and Nancey, did you guys went to school here in Orlando and graduated on 2005. This is Juvie if you do remember that name do contact me here........

Sierra in Roseville, California

66 months ago

Nope wrong person

Pretty Roman in Orlando, Florida

66 months ago

Hay Girl What good with you Girl.
Yes It Me T...

R You still at Sandlake Hopstial?

You can find me on face Book under Pretty Roman
I will Hit youy back there =0)

Miss Ya Girl!

66 months ago

What Up V..

How are you are still in the eye Center?

You can find me on face Book under Pretty Roman
I will Hit youy back there =0)

Miss Ya Girl!

66 months ago

No, the Money here in Orlando Is like 15 to 17 and hour if that?

But Tampa Pays over 17 an hour and for Florida that is GOOD!

It different out here. I from NYC And I made 2x as much; But the

weather is better here and the cost of living..

Sorry i did not reply sooner..

I Work alot CSTCFA

sufii in Chicago, Illinois

66 months ago

hey guys im thinking abut going back to college can you guys tell me what is easyest carrer that i could finish in last than 2 yrs i really wanna degree plz help

Juvie in Altamonte Springs in Altamonte Springs, Florida

66 months ago

Sup T!!! I can't believe I found you..I tried looking you up under pretty roman but no luck......How you been girl??? where you work now??
Yeah, I still work at the eye clinic for 3 yrs now.....Not bad, getting slow cause the economy....Imma try looking you up again on facebook.

Queens RN in Far Rockaway, New York

66 months ago

mandy in Levittown, New York said: ohh man. Yea, if you are thinking of going to school to be a surgical tech, i would tell you to
1. go to med school.. if not 2. be a physican's assistant.. if not 3. be a nurse.. if not dont be in the healthcare field =) b/c even if u do land a job in a good hospital with okay pay, it stills SUCKS, everyone sits online in between cases talkin about what they should go to school for next.

SIERRA- being a CST you are qualified to do many other things. You can be a med assistant, dental assistant, ophthalmic tech, surgical booker, or a surgical rep. all od which in cali pay more then 10 an hour.

Mandy in levittown- u always talking about how much you love surgical techology all over this board. So why is it now your saying it sucks. What's up keep it real is surgical technology a good field my sister wants to get in but i told her to be a nurse like me

Need help in Orlando, Florida

65 months ago

Hello! I graduated from a surgical tech program
In october 2006. My husband and I moved countries
Directly after graduation, so I never had the chance
To get a job in the field. We have since moved back,
But it's been 2 1/2 years out of the field, and I want
More than anything to get back in. I live in Orlando, and
Have heard that there are hospitals hiring. I have not gotten
My state certification yet...if anyone could guide me in the
Proper direction, it would be greatly appreciated. Please, I
Do not want any negative feedback, as I know this is possible...
Just with a little work! Thanks!

ndm in West Palm Beach, Florida

65 months ago

Tenika RomanCSt/CFA in Orlando, Florida said: I am CST/CFA
Here were you can do.
It the best thing that ever happen to me and
crew a Womens Hopstial
www.nifaonlinecampus.com/

but this is only for rn's

ndm in West Palm Beach, Florida

65 months ago

If anyone is sitting for the cfa my recomendation is : do not waste your money on the nbstas study guide, is totally worthless, study by the alexander's and please study ortho procedures, PDR, A&P . The study guide bables mainly on general surgery but (in my case) the mayority of questions where ortho and Dx diseases with minimal information, i din't get any questions on pharmacology or barely any of general surgery i failed my test by 4 question.
I had never failed a test !!!!! EVER. but there is always a first time!!!. I did not only study fron the guide but also i used Anatomy in Surgery, Alexanders, just to mention few.

I will sit again in 6 months as stablish by their policy.

I encourage any cst that HAS FA experience to certify.

But Im still frustrated ......... Thank you for lisening, reading, bashing, commenting, etc.

CHANGING SUBJETS...
It don't matter if you have a bad circulator, if you know she/HE is not capable you will have half of cpd in your substerile room, if you have a BITCHY surgeon you learn his technique to the point to telepathy. I love my job, my team members are only few but we are supper tight, my circulators are supercapable and they have a 3rd ear.There is not much difference between a tech and a rn (in my team) not in the hospital ( i had to clarify that) i just don't do records but i second circulate. I guess i"m spoiled. I don't kiss A**, im well known for speaking my mind don't matter WHO, but i am still a profesional and it really upset me when i see scrubs draging the profesion . I guess that individual will have to ask themself (if is the facility, the team members or themself and make the changes necesary but don't sit there bashing the profesion, is not fair!!
Good luck to all

rd in Bradenton, Florida

64 months ago

Gone Fishin in Houston, Texas said: Kim, you can become a First Assistant without being certified. There is a huge disparity in salaries between a tech and assistant depending upon the state you reside. Being a self employed first assistant is where the big money is. You will need to complete a Surgical First Assisting Program. Make sure it is a Caahep accredited program or you are wasting your time and money. My personal reccomendation would be Meridian Institute of Surgical Assiting,( www.meridian-institute.com ) an Online program that can be completed in 12 months or less and best of all from your home at your leisure. No such thing as CSTFA, this an erroneous credential. If you complete a CAAHEP accredited program you will be eligible to become a CSA or CFA.

actually the hospital i work at and the ones in our area do not recongnize first asst. they make no more money then st's.... i have only been a tech 2 yrs and i hate it!

RL in Sarasota, Florida

63 months ago

rd in Bradenton, Florida said: actually the hospital i work at and the ones in our area do not recongnize first asst. they make no more money then st's.... i have only been a tech 2 yrs and i hate it!

rd, where'd you go to school at and did they get you your job? Why do you hate it so much?

Rod in Bel Air, Maryland

63 months ago

I am about to start a surgical tech program at my local community college in maryland. I have read and heard so many different things about the pay $12.00-$45.00. Does anyone know roughly what I can expect to make in Maryland to start and what the average 5-10 year tech's make Thanks

watash in Tempe, Arizona

63 months ago

your certification with NCCT is accepted nation wide. The u.s. army uses NCCT to certify their members. I have been certified with them for several years.

watash in Tempe, Arizona

63 months ago

Your certification with NCCT is in fact accepted nation wide. I have been certified with them for several years as a Surgical Tech

Rod in Bel Air, Maryland

63 months ago

I did check the site and I believe the average is $22.06 but I was hoping I could find someone in the Baltimore area who is/was employed to find out if this is correct.

maye in Orlando, Florida

63 months ago

How soon after graduating from the ST program can I start training to become CFA?

LInda R. Miller in Elyria, Ohio

63 months ago

Two years as a Cst with experience in most areas of surgery. I can send you information about our Online First Assist program here at Lorain County Community College in Elyria if you'd like.

Ryan Matthews in Marysville, Washington

63 months ago

Has anyone gone to Pima CC? Is this a good program? It is only a one year certificate. Should I get a 2 year instead. I am just about done with my AA then I want to go to some program to be a surgery tech.

Thanks.

63 months ago

maye in Orlando, Florida said: How soon after graduating from the ST program can I start training to become CFA?

You need 2 years as a ST first then you can
Apply for your CSTFA

We have at least 7 CSTFA in our department
At our hospital and we all went to www.nifa.com

I am the of the first "CSTCFA"
The one of best programs.
Do not stop at ST keep going it worth it.

63 months ago

Sorry about the type-0
Typing and running in the gym

Good luck

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.