Surgical Tech-Good move or not

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 177)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

kimberly seda in moreno valley, California

79 months ago

I am considering change of career to Surgical Tech. I am interested in Concorde Career College, have recently completed initial visit, I have medical administrative background. I have read the pros and cons to Surg Tech and still want to pursue course. Does anyone have any info on the school besides online info and admissions. I'm 38 and thought maybe I was too old to change to such a strenous career choice but I feel I'm prepared. Any advice for me Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (109) / No (22) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

Derrick in Redondo Beach, California said: Hey Kimberly. I just started American Career College in Anaheim 2 weeks ago and the CST program is 22k for a 13 month course. American is opening a new school in Ontario, don't know if that's closer for you. I'm 37 yrs of age and wanted to break into the medical field and heard that becoming a CST is a good way to do so. If you have any specific questions I will be happy to answer them, if I can.
Thanks Derrick. I went today for the cpat test, did well, waiting for date for orientation. So far things are looking good, program starts 8/4. Had an obstacle pertaining to my past, but I just prayed at that time and things turned out ok. Thanks for replying, we'll get back to you with any questions. Concorde is a little closer so I'll stick with them. Continued Success with your program. CST is 15 mos at 22k with Concorde

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Derrick in Redondo Beach, California

78 months ago

Thanks Kimberly. Concorde is a good school. Best of luck!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Concorde Tech in Jacksonville, Florida

78 months ago

I love Concorde! Here is Jacksonville Florida it is the #1 preferred school among hospitals. Last class had a 100% job placement! You will also be a CST upon graduation as they are now requiring you pass the cert exam to graduate! Tuition also covers AST membership!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Tana in Glendale, Arizona

78 months ago

I suggest you check out job opportunities in your area before you get education for a surgical technilogist. I finished school in Phoenix Dec. 8 2007 graduation and I still cant find a job at a hospital or surgery center.
I was top in my class with honors and still, without experience I cant find a job. I was offered a job at a pain management clinic in their procedure room which I took, but it is nowhere close to what I trained so hard for. I am hoping with some time at this job in the medical field it will look good on a resume and help me get a job using my skill it took me so much time and money to acquire. Good Luck. Do your research first!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

Archannell in Woodland Hills, California said: What made you change your mind about concorde. I was concidering concorde as well.
My decision had nothing to do with the school. I feel Concorde would be the way for me, I changed my decision about the course. Have heard much neg about surg tech course, and so much more pos about lvn. The school is great as far as I've seen and researched. High % in completions, the staff at the san bernardino location were very helpful as well. Pursue Concorde would my advise just from my own observation and comments about the school I've read and heard. Again there is a neg side to all things, however more pros than cons to concorde.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

K in Jacksonville, Florida

78 months ago

Concorde Tech in Jacksonville, Florida said: I love Concorde! Here is Jacksonville Florida it is the #1 preferred school among hospitals. Last class had a 100% job placement! You will also be a CST upon graduation as they are now requiring you pass the cert exam to graduate! Tuition also covers AST membership!!

I work in Jax and YES concord does get 100% job placement only because they have the director of OR techs working at shands who I heard is best friends with one of the instructors of Concord. Call it a conflict of interest if you will!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

missy

78 months ago

Don't waste your time. I have been teching for 23 years and now only make $21.00 per hour. Standing on hard cement for hours and hours and hour. I have nine bone spurs on my knees, wearing 15 punds of lead, all the call you have to take, putting up with not so nice people. Just go to nursing school instead. It pays well and you can pick and choose where and how you want to work. TRUST ME, I KNOW.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

thank you very much, am pursuing lvn class first.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Renosuv

78 months ago

Have to chime in here. Attended Concorde in Denver a few years ago and none of the hospitals in the area's largest chain wanted to take us for externship. That created a big problem as many in my class lost their skills waiting for months before the school found a willing hospital. I managed to find a job as a tech and it was one of the worst experiences of my life working with people who had no use for newcomers. I left the profession after 6 months...no regrets. I'm glad you chose nursing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

missy

78 months ago

now if you find a little lump and bump place to work with a smaller staff, you may be able to hang in there for a while. I have travled as a tech and have work at three hospitals in the 24 years of being certified. Believe me they eat their youg. It is unbelievable. Choose nursing and you can dictate your own life and not take all the abuse that the OR has to offer. I just recently got out of teching and I have NO regrets!

I know this sounds strange but I want to do something easy and mindless for a while. Maybe in a Dr's office or something.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

deborah in atl in Atlanta, Georgia

77 months ago

Hello I am in the atl and want to know the demand here in atlanta and range of salaries.Also how common is it to work in cosmetic surgeryand who much will you make starting fresh out with no experience (in any area).which schools are the best I'm in school now for teaching but thinking of switching my major.I'v always been fascinated with the medical field. PLEASE HELP ME ATL....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Armen Los Angeles CA in Los Angeles, California

77 months ago

Hi, i am a new grad in Surg.Tech programm....
I was the best student in my group, and i had excellent internship in hospital, all technicians know how i did my job, but right now i am looking for job, and it is very hard, everyone asking for experience, and they dont even want to talk toy you if you are NEWgrad student. They dont even know WHAT CAN I DO in OR, how can they say that?
It is very not professional!!!! It was not in one hospital ALL of them are the same.....
What should i do?????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

hi, i received so many comments stating the difficulty finding work after school. No one hires grad student. I decided not to pursue the career as a surg tech due to the many cons and so little pros, good luck to you and will say a prayer you find that job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

Tana in Glendale, Arizona said: I suggest you check out job opportunities in your area before you get education for a surgical technilogist. I finished school in Phoenix Dec. 8 2007 graduation and I still cant find a job at a hospital or surgery center.
I was top in my class with honors and still, without experience I cant find a job. I was offered a job at a pain management clinic in their procedure room which I took, but it is nowhere close to what I trained so hard for. I am hoping with some time at this job in the medical field it will look good on a resume and help me get a job using my skill it took me so much time and money to acquire. Good Luck. Do your research first!!!!!!
thank you for replying. I decided not to pursue this career choice due to all the neg and very little pos in the field. Good luck to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Pat Walker in Scottsdale, Arizona

76 months ago

I have finished almost 2 year surgical tech course and now have found that there is a 5 to 6 month wait for our internship. We pay alot of money for school and this is what is at the end of our course. How can a school do this?? There is too much to forget and why even start school?
SOO disapointed

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

cass in Lomita, California

75 months ago

Wow-
Im really disappointed in the people on this site totaly bashing this career! Just like any job it has its downfalls, but honey, Nursing isnt that much better. I work with nurses all the time, and have even worked with other Techs that WERE nurses (wich they gave up nursing because they got "burnt out").
Our job is a highly overlooked occupation. People think we are nurses. Those of you who say you can't find a job...honestly have you even looked?? We thankfully work in a profession where its always in demand. Giving it up and going to LVN school is like shooting yourself in the foot...NO ONE HIRES LVN's anymore....its either fully qualified RN's or us...ST's.
Surgical technology is a great career and very rewarding if you find your nitche. Good luck to all of you going through school, get as much out of it as possible. Dont let people on this site change your mind.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (99) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Crystal in Raleigh, North Carolina

75 months ago

Thanks for your comment. I was getting very discouraged looking at the other comments and was about to change my cirriculum. I will be meeting with an advisor and enrollong today are there any pointers you can give me as far as what questions i should be asking to safe gaurd myself?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Derrick in Redondo Beach, California said: I agree. I was in the break room at the school I'm attending, and the LVN's didn't realize us ST's study a lot of the same things they do. I guess they think were beneath them, knowledge wise.

The feeling I get is they (LVN's) think their better than everyone else taking other courses. I decided on ST because I didn't want to be a pill pusher and cleaner-upper/patient sitter.

There jobs out there, you must be willing to do other things that relate to ST. For example, Instrument sterilization, just to get your foot in the door.

What is an LVN???

75 months ago

Concorde Tech in Jacksonville, Florida said: What is an LVN???

Licensed Vocational Nurse

75 months ago

Concorde Tech in Jacksonville, Florida said: What is an LVN???

I forgot. In states other than California and Texas they are referred to as LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

K in Jacksonville, Florida said: I work in Jax and YES concord does get 100% job placement only because they have the director of OR techs working at shands who I heard is best friends with one of the instructors of Concord. Call it a conflict of interest if you will!!

It does not matter who you know if you do not have the skills you will NOT get the Job. And of our lass Graduating class only ONE student went to Shands. I know St.Vincents got a few. I will Graduate in April & We HAVE to pass the CST National Exam before we graduate. That means we will be the first, and only program in the area to Graduate certified! We are held to a higher standard, Our Program Director is a CST, CFA, one of out PT instructors is a CST CFA, and our FT Instructor is a CST, RN. We get placed not based on WHO we know, we get placed based on WHAT we know. Our program is challenging & SUPER challenging; However, WELL worth it!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

I would also like to add there are only THREE CST CFA's in Jacksonville Fl. Concorde student learn under 2 of the 3! That makes me DARN proud!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Linda in Mckinney, Texas

75 months ago

kimberly seda in moreno valley, California said: hi, i received so many comments stating the difficulty finding work after school. No one hires grad student. I decided not to pursue the career as a surg tech due to the many cons and so little pros, good luck to you and will say a prayer you find that job.

I have been told that it is difficult to get a job out of school, that Dr do not want to work with newbys. Not sure how you would get experience??!! Also heard that Surgical Centers mostly hire RNs for those jobs.
Please advise....thanks

ConcordeTech in Jacksonville, Florida

75 months ago

I think in my personal opinion the jobs are out there. What makes a difference is your willingness to seek & aquire these jobs. I know on the AST website they have a couple of job postings. I know some people seek jobs as a traveling tech which has several perks. Just go to your local hospitals website & search for Surgical Tech jobs. CST's are favored over non certified techs so it's well worth getting the education & then gaining certification.

As far as a DR. not wanting to work with Newby's.... thats somewhat inevitable, and while they may not prefer it they will at some point find a "newby" in there room. Just be AWESOME at what you do and you may change their opinion.

As far as how to gain experience... CLINICALS :0) Work for free = Experience. lol.

Then there is the hear say over RN's, typically they seek circulating jobs. CST's are trained & very knowledgeable.
Hope this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Linda in Mckinney, Texas said: I have been told that it is difficult to get a job out of school, that Dr do not want to work with newbys. Not sure how you would get experience??!! Also heard that Surgical Centers mostly hire RNs for those jobs.
Please advise....thanks

First off, YES, you are going to encounter some doctors that are going to kick and scream (sometimes literally) at the fact that you are a student. You have to be tough and let things just roll off of you, and chalk it all up to experience. In this career you learn from these doctors who are willing to be somewhat stern with you.
Im in California, and here the OR team is comprised of an RN, the Tech, the anesthesiologist and the doctor (sometimes more than one doctor, or a PA). Surgery centers and hospitals hire nurses to "circulate" they are the non sterile members of the team that get us things we need, and to do the paperwork, and the pill/ drug pushing. Surgery centers need us! That too nurses are WAY to expensive, places wont hire them to do our job.
As far as jobs after graduation go....BE SURE YOUR SCHOOL OFFERS JOB PLACEMENT. If they do, they can be your personal headhunters and bring the jobs to you. The school I went to, I can call tomorrow and ask for a listing of jobs, and Ill have an entire pack mailed to me in a matter of days (and i graduated over 1 year ago). Another thing is be the best you can at your "CLINICALS" if they like you and see potential in you, you may get hired on full time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Pat Walker in Scottsdale, Arizona said: I have finished almost 2 year surgical tech course and now have found that there is a 5 to 6 month wait for our internship. We pay alot of money for school and this is what is at the end of our course. How can a school do this?? There is too much to forget and why even start school?
SOO disapointed

I also am on a 6 month waiting list and a waste of 23000.00 bucks! This is not ok. This it alot of money to just throw away. Whats up with this.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

casey in Los Angeles, California

75 months ago

cass in Lomita, California where did you go to school at?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

kindra in Lees Summit, Missouri

75 months ago

I'm getting ready to start ST training on 9/22 - the school I'm going to keeps their class size small - only 8 people MAX, and they have 100% job placement to date. They work with several hospitals around my area, and all students have their externship immediately after their 12 months of classes. From the statistics, all of the techs that have graduated have been hired on through the place they did their externship. I think alot of it has to do with the area you're in.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Hi-
I went to CNI College in Costa Mesa. It was a great school. Academically it teaches you EVERYTHING you need to know. Ya, it had a few bumps here and there administratively, but what school doesnt. Teachers were great, knowledgeable, willing to help in any way possible. They also provide job placement assistance at the end of your schooling, and will continue to help you out down the line.
Personaly I have worked with someone (a student) that went to a "competative" school, and they were not prepared at all compared to where I was at that stage of the game.
I hope it helps, if you have any other questions, please dont hesitate to ask...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

John in Aliso Viejo, California

75 months ago

kimberly seda in moreno valley, California said: thank you very much, am pursuing lvn class first.

I have been a Tech for 10 years and am only making in the Mid 20's, seriously considering going back to school to pursue an RN degree. For those considering an entry level position into the Medical field, maybe save your money and go straight for your RN. PLEASE DO NOT GO INTO 23K OF DEBT, FOR A $16-$17- HR JOB.......

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

I checked out Career Builder before I made the commitment to enroll in school. Currently there are 6 jobs posted, and none of them start lower than $21/hr. Most of them require a year's experience in the OR - but to think that that's the kind of money I can make in just a year's time, I'm happy with that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Linda in Mckinney, Texas

74 months ago

How difficult was it to get that first year experience?? Were facilities hesitant about placing people right out of school?

Thanks so much for your insight.

Cass in Torrance, California

74 months ago

Hey....Um we had someone from Newbridge come and work with us...lets just say my word of advice is know EVERYTHING before you get out to clinicals. We had to send our girl back....and Im not bashing the school, cuz the other Tech that is my Boss went to Newbridge.....so Im just sayin be ready.

Fortunately for me, while I was going through school, I was working for a Plastic surgeon....SO, I got hired on there. BUT I did part of my clinicals down in San Clemente (Saddle Back Memorial)...they loved me, and unfortunately I lived way to far to even consider that job.

My advice would be to just play nice and like I said above, KNOW YOUR STUFF...KNOW basics, and be willing to learn. If places see that, and a positive attitude, A job could be waitin for you at the end of the tunnel..

kimberly seda in Perris, California

74 months ago

thanks for the advice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ray in Scottsdale, Arizona

74 months ago

Pat Walker in Scottsdale, Arizona said: I also am on a 6 month waiting list and a waste of 23000.00 bucks! This is not ok. This it alot of money to just throw away. Whats up with this.

Pat, What school did you go to and what about your classmates? I know Scottsdale Healthcare is always looking.....

kay in Lyndhurst, New Jersey

74 months ago

I'm thinking of going for Surgical Tech,but not really sure. It's for a year to get your certification. I heard the jobs for this field aren't "plenty," you may say. Can anyone tell me how much is the true salary range for the entry level and what should I expect in the future considering this field? I'm thinking of ultrasound and nurse, but does anyone know what the entrance exam is consist of for nursing and if there's one for ultasound? Thanks....

74 months ago

What I did to find "true" salary range...was searched positions on Careerbuilder.com. Most of what I found didn't start any less than $23/hr, and it only went up according to experience. I found a few that even started around $32/hr, just for a year's experience in the OR. If you're into the surgical thing, ST is DEF the place to start. I love it! The biggest thing I've heard is that you just REALLY need to know your stuff before going out in the field. ST for the win!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

kindra in Lees Summit, Missouri said: What I did to find "true" salary range...was searched positions on Careerbuilder.com. Most of what I found didn't start any less than $23/hr, and it only went up according to experience. I found a few that even started around $32/hr, just for a year's experience in the OR. If you're into the surgical thing, ST is DEF the place to start. I love it! The biggest thing I've heard is that you just REALLY need to know your stuff before going out in the field. ST for the win!

Thank you so much kindra. it's very helpful. i recently got laid off a few months ago so i'm searching my net. i just want a promising new career. i've done some research on st but none of it couldn't really answer me truly. by the way if you dont mind, it seems to me that you are a "ST." if you are, what is ur advice for me other than knowing my stuff like such as what so i can prepare myself since im taking A&P 1 for now and later on in the spring, A&P 2. Thanks!!!1

74 months ago

I'm in school still...but from the students that have graduated and gotten jobs - they say that you truly have to know your stuff. Mostly instrumentation. At first it's overwhelming being around that many instruments, but with time, it comes pretty easily. How long is your program?

74 months ago

hi there,
thanks for replying back to me. it's always good to hear from ppl like you. gee, thanks for the heads up. i'm not in the program yet, but it's about a year with clinical experience from what i read and spoke to others in the field. it's not bad, about $5000 for the program. some schools around here are like $15-30k...but it's a great accredited school and even tho it's only a community college, it's soo hardcore. so how do u like your classes so far? good luck in ur studies. i'll do some research and see how much missouri and over here are paying surg techs at entry level. right now, i want to go for nursing due to lots of jobs around my area, but as for surgical tech, i would love that also. maybe i should become a nurse surg tech , that would be very nice but money is very tough and my schedule is crazy. if you need anything, contact me and anyone else is welcome. thanks alot :)

psiniard in Cartersville, Georgia

73 months ago

Armen Los Angeles CA in Los Angeles, California said: Hi, i am a new grad in Surg.Tech programm....
I was the best student in my group, and i had excellent internship in hospital, all technicians know how i did my job, but right now i am looking for job, and it is very hard, everyone asking for experience, and they dont even want to talk toy you if you are NEWgrad student. They dont even know WHAT CAN I DO in OR, how can they say that?
It is very not professional!!!! It was not in one hospital ALL of them are the same.....
What should i do?????

What hospitals have you applied at? i am thinking about going to school for this my self ...i live in north ga and it seems like there are lots of openings...
Paige

psiniard in Cartersville, Georgia

73 months ago

kimberly seda in moreno valley, California said: Tana, thank you so much for this comment. I did some research and decided not to enroll in this course at this time. Will pursue Nursing.

how tough is the curriculum?
Paige

tracey in Tuscaloosa, Alabama

73 months ago

kimberly seda in moreno valley, California said: I am considering change of career to Surgical Tech. I am interested in Concorde Career College, have recently completed initial visit, I have medical administrative background. I have read the pros and cons to Surg Tech and still want to pursue course. Does anyone have any info on the school besides online info and admissions. I'm 38 and thought maybe I was too old to change to such a strenous career choice but I feel I'm prepared. Any advice for me Thanks

t
I have been a ST since 2000 and I enjoy the work. It is challenging and can be physically demanding, but it is rewarding. Like a few of my fellow ST's I stated this as my 2nd career at 29 and I had older people in my program. They are still working as well. One thing I stronly sugest is that as so as you finish your program take the certification exam. You'll make more money and it will open more doors.

Richard in Peoria, Arizona

73 months ago

Tana in Glendale, Arizona said: I suggest you check out job opportunities in your area before you get education for a surgical technilogist. I finished school in Phoenix Dec. 8 2007 graduation and I still cant find a job at a hospital or surgery center.

Hi Tana, I see that your comments are now 5 months old, have you secured a job as a Surgical Tech yet ?, and if so did your experience with the pain managment clinic help you ? If you don't mind what school did you graduate from ? I am sure you made some friends in school, did they have trouble finding positions as well ? looking forward to hearing from you.

cass in Harbor City, California

72 months ago

Amen sister!! I have been saying that for months on here, and no one really seems to understand how EASY it really is. Granted I live in CA. and dont know how it is in other states, but as far as Im concerned it would be MUCH more competative in this state.

amberdawn in Clovis, California

72 months ago

cass in Harbor City, California said: Amen sister!! I have been saying that for months on here, and no one really seems to understand how EASY it really is. Granted I live in CA. and dont know how it is in other states, but as far as Im concerned it would be MUCH more competative in this state.

Hey! I'm in California as well, and am starting school for ST in February. My school does have a 100% post-grad employment rate, which is comforting. However, does anyone seem to have the ambition or goal to travel with this certification and/or degree as I do?? Is is hard finding work out of your own area? I am young and will not settle for a career which in turn may restrict me to a life of continuous habit and routine. Does anyone else share these feelings??

Kamille in Charlotte, North Carolina

71 months ago

cass in Lomita, California said: Hi-
I went to CNI College in Costa Mesa. It was a great school. Academically it teaches you EVERYTHING you need to know. Ya, it had a few bumps here and there administratively, but what school doesnt. Teachers were great, knowledgeable, willing to help in any way possible. They also provide job placement assistance at the end of your schooling, and will continue to help you out down the line.
Personaly I have worked with someone (a student) that went to a "competative" school, and they were not prepared at all compared to where I was at that stage of the game.
I hope it helps, if you have any other questions, please dont hesitate to ask...

I am a student wanting to pursue this field my question is I know that in this field you must be on your feet alot but if you got better shoes then the reg tennis shoe would that help and make it better?

70 months ago

Pat Walker in Scottsdale, Arizona said: I have finished almost 2 year surgical tech course and now have found that there is a 5 to 6 month wait for our internship. We pay alot of money for school and this is what is at the end of our course. How can a school do this?? There is too much to forget and why even start school?
SOO disapointed

I am also waiting! Its been about 6 months and probly at the same school SO Disapointed too!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

Pat Walker in Scottsdale, Arizona said: I also am on a 6 month waiting list and a waste of 23000.00 bucks! This is not ok. This it alot of money to just throw away. Whats up with this.

I also am waiting and yes we do forget alot of important training. Very disapointed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.