Working hours for Transportation Security Officer

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 2540)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Shawn in Brandon, South Dakota

86 months ago

For everyone that is a Transportation Security Officer, how long did it take for you to get a schedule that had weekends off? When your first started, did you have to work every weekend? Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (404) / No (93) Reply - Report abuse

jackie in Houston, Texas

82 months ago

I would like to know what is the starting salary for part-time and ful-time?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (400) / No (85) Reply - Report abuse

Unite Us in Venice, Florida

82 months ago

Did you already get the job? B/C just recently I applied for the TSA position. I had to drive an hour away to take a test, came home and received an email saying I passed. Then, I had to fill out an EXTENSIVE background check application online. It took approximately 3 hours to complete online....asking where you lived for the past 10 years, 3 people who knew you at each address, have you ever seen a therapist, have you ever used drugs, etc....It was hard remembering all of the details of the past (addresses/landlords/neighbors/etc) No joke. I still haven't heard back (I filled it out 2 weeks ago)....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (114) / No (32) Reply - Report abuse

Bernie in Columbia, South Carolina

82 months ago

Shawn in Brandon, South Dakota said: For everyone that is a Transportation Security Officer, how long did it take for you to get a schedule that had weekends off? When your first started, did you have to work every weekend? Thanks

Weekends OFF? EVERY weekend? Almost all security jobs, just like retail or hospitality, require some weekend work. Any single SO, public or private sector, who gets every weekend off may very well be depriving their co-workers' children of time with their parents.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

unamused in Washington, District of Columbia

79 months ago

I have been a TSO for 2 years and have no weekends off, and a poor prosepect on that account. TSA is moving away from full time TSOs to split shift part-time workers, who work ten hour days a few days a week. No full time TSOs have been hired in the last two years. On the other hand, the vast majority of the new part-timers quit in the first month, so their whole labor model is imploding, forcing a great deal of stress on the whole screening process.

On the other hand, I would like to note that weekends should not be taken away from single workers on the grounds that those with children are more deserving of weekend hours off. Senority is the fairest option in determining who selects their work schedule first.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (42) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Rod in New York, New York

79 months ago

Received an offer to work as a part-time screener at Newark. Does anyone know the process and difficulty to switch to full-time? Thanks in advance

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (96) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

Tatiana

79 months ago

Rod in New York, New York said: Received an offer to work as a part-time screener at Newark. Does anyone know the process and difficulty to switch to full-time? Thanks in advance

It is very difficult to get a full time position as a TSA. The current wait time is about 1 year. Of course at a larger airport like that, it could be different. It may be longer or shorter, but I've heard many people quit after a month or two, when they find out the most pobular way to get full time is to work slip-shifts.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Tatiana

79 months ago

Rod in New York, New York said: Thanks for the info....What is a slip-shift? Regards

A slip-shift is when you come in on one shift and work 4 hours, then you have 2-4 hours off in between which can be different each day, then you work another 4 hours on a different shift. Your hours change daily and mostly likely will end up working somedays during your breaks. And if you need a day off you have to go through two sets of supervisors, which means if one says yes and the other no, you don't get your day off.Most people who have done it, don't recommend it. Also, when a regular hour full time position does open up, you are usually passed over because they need people to do slip-shifts. The money isn't bad on slip-shifts, but the hours leave alot to be desired. You'll end up being at work at least 10-14 hours a day, yet only getting paid for 8-10. You'll have no time for yourself or other things outside of work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (38) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Tatiana

79 months ago

Rod in New York, New York said: Thanks for the info....What is a slip-shift? Regards

My best advise is find a way to make some extra cash on the side and stick it out. TSA is an excellent opportunity, excellent benefits, good pay, but like most government jobs they are hard to get and hard to move up in, but the main thing is to get your foot in the door. Then worry about the rest later.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (56) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

Tatiana

79 months ago

Ted in Silver Spring, Maryland said: What is the starting salary for a TSO position?

It changes between airport and state. At my smaller aiport in New York it's currently $14.oo a hour.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Sarah in Santa Fe, New Mexico

79 months ago

I am thinking about applying for a full time split shift position at the airport here. It's really small (they just started getting a full schedule of commuter flights), and I live less than 10 minutes away, which would allow me to LEAVE on my break and get stuff done. My question is, would I be scheduled 2 days off per week? I understand that it might two seperate days, and not the same ones from week to week. Thanks in advance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Tatiana

79 months ago

Sarah in Santa Fe, New Mexico said: I am thinking about applying for a full time split shift position at the airport here. It's really small (they just started getting a full schedule of commuter flights), and I live less than 10 minutes away, which would allow me to LEAVE on my break and get stuff done. My question is, would I be scheduled 2 days off per week? I understand that it might two seperate days, and not the same ones from week to week. Thanks in advance.

You will always get two days off per week. And most of the time they will be the same days off. However, TSA does have a habit of changing your days off frequently. So you might have Tuesday and Wednesday off for 5 weeks, then you'll have Sunday and Monday off for 3 weeks, then you'll have Monday and Thursdays off for 8 weeks. But you will always get 2 days off unless of course you volunteer to give up one of your days to get overtime. Good Luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Herb Taylor in Virginia Beach, Virginia

79 months ago

I waited 14 months to get a job offer as PT TSO. After 4 mths. I got FT. Time varies greatly by airport and by sex. Seniority is used for who bids first and for what shift/days off. Airline schedules dictate manpower needs. TSA is a large GOVT.agency.
It is good to have patence, sense of humor and a thick skin to work in TSA.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

M S L in New Braunfels, Texas

78 months ago

Herb Taylor in Virginia Beach, Virginia said: I waited 14 months to get a job offer as PT TSO. After 4 mths. I got FT. Time varies greatly by airport and by sex. Seniority is used for who bids first and for what shift/days off. Airline schedules dictate manpower needs. TSA is a large GOVT.agency.
It is good to have patence, sense of humor and a thick skin to work in TSA.

What caused the 14 month wait. Was it the background check and additional training? My wife just passed the test today so we are waiting on a response for the next phase of the application process. Can you provide us with a more detailed step process of what you had to do during the entire application process and an estimated timeline for each phase?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

frank

78 months ago

M S L in New Braunfels, Texas said: What caused the 14 month wait. Was it the background check and additional training? My wife just passed the test today so we are waiting on a response for the next phase of the application process. Can you provide us with a more detailed step process of what you had to do during the entire application process and an estimated timeline for each phase?

I just got called today for an appointment for an interveiw. i applied a little over a year ago, i ask them why it took so long they told me they had a hiring freeze for awhile.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Mike

77 months ago

I have applied twice and have not heard back from them. Although I see new TSA's at my airport alot. I am willing to work any schedule and I dont know what the holdup is. Starting to think being a single white guy is not helping. Maybe if I was of another ethnic group or gender it would help. Ohwell waht are ya gonna do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (42) Reply - Report abuse

Tatiana

77 months ago

Mike said: I have applied twice and have not heard back from them. Although I see new TSA's at my airport alot. I am willing to work any schedule and I dont know what the holdup is. Starting to think being a single white guy is not helping. Maybe if I was of another ethnic group or gender it would help. Ohwell waht are ya gonna do.

Perhaps they don't need men at your airport. There an extreme shortage of women in this profession. I currently work with a couple who applied at the same time, yet the husband didn't get called to work for a year and half after his wife got the job. Or maybe other people have better quailifications like security or military experiance. Unless your airport is in the process of massively expanding, don't expect the hiring process to be fast. It could take years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Sarah in Santa Fe, New Mexico

77 months ago

I started the process about a month ago. It went scary fast for a while. I filled out the online application and was told I was accepted next day. Day after that I was invited to take the online test. Passed on the next day. Got an invite to take the computer based test at a location near me (50 miles away). Took that about a week from the invite. Told I passed that afternoon. Later that week I got a call inviting me for an "assesment". Had to wait until last week to take that. During that week I read in the local paper that the commuter flights into my airport were on hold (airlines didn't have required paperwork from BLM, Forest Service, etc.) until Feb. of '08. During my assesment I noticed on the paperwork it said part time. I asked them to clarify. During the 2 weeks between my call and the assesment they had changed the job opening to part time, but I was still down for full time.

I passed my assesment and accepted the tentative offer of a job. If they call and offer me part time I will have to pass, I need a full time job. I interviewed for a nice office job that pays the same that week. No matter, since my assesment I have heard Zero. Of course this is Thanksgiving week, and they are doing another round of assesments next week. I wish them good luck filling this (these) positions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

frank

77 months ago

they will start you of as a part timer until you probationary period is up, but you will get at least 40 hours a week even though they say you are part time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Cheryl in Commerce Township, Michigan

77 months ago

Sarah in Santa Fe, New Mexico said: I started the process about a month ago. It went scary fast for a while. I filled out the online application and was told I was accepted next day. Day after that I was invited to take the online test. Passed on the next day. Got an invite to take the computer based test at a location near me (50 miles away). Took that about a week from the invite. Told I passed that afternoon. Later that week I got a call inviting me for an "assesment". Had to wait until last week to take that. During that week I read in the local paper that the commuter flights into my airport were on hold (airlines didn't have required paperwork from BLM, Forest Service, etc.) until Feb. of '08. During my assesment I noticed on the paperwork it said part time. I asked them to clarify. During the 2 weeks between my call and the assesment they had changed the job opening to part time, but I was still down for full time.

I passed my assesment and accepted the tentative offer of a job. If they call and offer me part time I will have to pass, I need a full time job. I interviewed for a nice office job that pays the same that week. No matter, since my assesment I have heard Zero. Of course this is Thanksgiving week, and they are doing another round of assesments next week. I wish them good luck filling this (these) positions.

Just wondering what the "assesment" consisted of? I am thinking that might be my next step.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Sarah in Placitas, New Mexico

77 months ago

Cheryl in Commerce Township, Michigan said: Just wondering what the "assesment" consisted of? I am thinking that might be my next step.

Can't really go into detail about what happened- they make you promise not to. There is a color vision test, paperwork, fingerprints and a couple of interviews. You have a leg up being female.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Mimi in New Braunfels, Texas

77 months ago

Thanks so much for your reply, have gone through that process thus far and waiting.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

M S L in New Braunfels, Texas said: What caused the 14 month wait. Was it the background check and additional training? My wife just passed the test today so we are waiting on a response for the next phase of the application process. Can you provide us with a more detailed step process of what you had to do during the entire application process and an estimated timeline for each phase?

It varies greatly by airport. 40 airports hiring now. PT
offrered first. If available, fulltime offered after training period. Good Luck :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Mike

76 months ago

So is there anyway that a person can take the test and everything for the TSA slot in a different city than the job. Then if you get the job move to that city?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Rico in Carol Stream, Illinois

76 months ago

I have gone throught pretty much all passing the interview and all. i got called back about a week and half ago asking me to go in for a medical........which im told is the very last step......i believe this means i got the job....even though i took it last Friday and i still havent heard from them back.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

TSA uses a contractor to provide the preemployment services. This reduces the helpful feedback you want/need when going through the long screening/hiring (no pun intended) process. If you don't mind recertifying twice a year to verify you have not forgotten your SOP requirements, this job, Screening Officer can be both chalenging and rewarding. The best news is with turnover, you probally will be offered full time and opportunities for promotion to Lead with at about 2 years. You will get a Band increase from D to E, after 2 years of good service ie "Meets Standards" good luck :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Matt in Las Vegas, Nevada

75 months ago

Sarah in Placitas, New Mexico said: Can't really go into detail about what happened- they make you promise not to. There is a color vision test, paperwork, fingerprints and a couple of interviews. You have a leg up being female.

All applicants and persons interviewed are subject to non disclosure agreements regarding the activities, questions, and information presented at any point during the application and interview process.

Disclosure of all or part is punishable by civil action and possible imprisonment.

Officers who successfully complete the process and become certified are not allowed to discuss the interview or application process even amongst themselves under the same penalties.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Erik

74 months ago

I would probably take this job if not for the split-shift work. 12 hour days and being paid for 8 for $14 an hour is not the best deal

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Dave in Lansing, Michigan

74 months ago

I just got called to take the 2.5 hr test next week. Have no ideal what to expect.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Marcella in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

74 months ago

I took the test & interviewed all within 3 weeks, I was wondering after you fill out all the background papers and submit them to the interviewing officier, how long from that point do you hear from them to get scheduled for the medical. I was told you have to pass the pre-background check before you're call. Is there a long waiting period for this check? Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Virgil in Brownstown, Indiana

73 months ago

I was just wondering if being arrested in the past for a misdomenor will prevent you from being hired

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Tatiana

73 months ago

Virgil in Brownstown, Indiana said: I was just wondering if being arrested in the past for a misdomenor will prevent you from being hired

Pretty sure it will. Not to say that everyone who works for TSA has never been arrested. But they draw the line somewhere, I'm not sure where though.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

sammy in Douglasville, Georgia

73 months ago

when is the drug test? same time as interview or at later date?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Rich 6th year Tso in Norristown, Pennsylvania

72 months ago

Tatiana said: A slip-shift is when you come in on one shift and work 4 hours, then you have 2-4 hours off in between which can be different each day, then you work another 4 hours on a different shift. Your hours change daily and mostly likely will end up working somedays during your breaks. And if you need a day off you have to go through two sets of supervisors, which means if one says yes and the other no, you don't get your day off.Most people who have done it, don't recommend it. Also, when a regular hour full time position does open up, you are usually passed over because they need people to do slip-shifts. The money isn't bad on slip-shifts, but the hours leave alot to be desired. You'll end up being at work at least 10-14 hours a day, yet only getting paid for 8-10. You'll have no time for yourself or other things outside of work.

Im full time and everything you say is true but I believe the term your looking for is split shift not slip shift.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

Virgil in Brownstown, Indiana said: I was just wondering if being arrested in the past for a misdomenor will prevent you from being hired

It depenends what for and if the punishment could include up to a year jail time, if found guilty. In addition if it has anything to do with domestic violence or violence in general, drugs, theft. Also it depends how long ago the incident had occured.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

Rico in Carol Stream, Illinois said: I have gone throught pretty much all passing the interview and all. i got called back about a week and half ago asking me to go in for a medical........which im told is the very last step......i believe this means i got the job....even though i took it last Friday and i still havent heard from them back.

Took me about one year after medical yeah a year or so maybe 10 months, a loooong time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

Marcella in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: I took the test & interviewed all within 3 weeks, I was wondering after you fill out all the background papers and submit them to the interviewing officier, how long from that point do you hear from them to get scheduled for the medical. I was told you have to pass the pre-background check before you're call. Is there a long waiting period for this check? Thanks

The whole process took me about 16 months that was a few years ago tho but it was in the same city. So good luck hope to see you on a checkpoint, or in a baggage area soon.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

curious

72 months ago

Background check is good for 1 year and if you are still not hiring after that time, how do you updated your application file?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Chris in Escanaba, Michigan

70 months ago

I was offered an invite so to speak for the 2 1/2 hour computer test,if you had to rate the difficulty of this from 1-10 what would give it? any info of what the test consits of,or how to prepare for it if any?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Bonham in Escanaba, Michigan

70 months ago

Dave in Lansing, Michigan said: I just got called to take the 2.5 hr test next week. Have no ideal what to expect.

nothing like jumping in to this blindly,it seems to me nobody really wants to share information whats the hush?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Paul in Seattle, Washington

69 months ago

The hush is that the Transportation Security Administration does not allow you to talk about the hiring process. Much like the FBI's hiring process is classified. Don't worry it's not that hard.

I worked at TSA for almost a year and a half and although it has it's up's and downs it's an agency that is always changing and getting better with age, much like wine. I will say this, when going for your interview wear professional business attire.

You will go through a background process that will lead to a security clearance so expect it to take a little bit before hearing anything. I can't say what the exact tests are but you'll go through a medical, eye and background to name afew. No don't worry about the Polygraph, there's none of that.

I wish you all the best. If I had any advice to give about my year and a half there I would say this. "Don't get involved" You won't understand it now but if you stay longer this six months you will.

Good Luck to all

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

you got that right

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

CTIII in East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania

63 months ago

Does anyone know the next step and how long it will be before being called for an interview ater submitting the 2811 forms for the credit and back ground check? I just last week was asked to fax over the 2811 forms. It has been 9 months since starting the process. Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

bonham in Escanaba, Michigan

63 months ago

J

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

bonham in Michigan

63 months ago

Just faxed the forms they needed about 15 min ago curious what happens next in this process.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

rpogatchnik in Bakersfield, California

63 months ago

Does it require perfect color vision to be a TSA officer?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (46) / No (26) Reply - Report abuse

CTIII in East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania

60 months ago

Marcella in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: I took the test & interviewed all within 3 weeks, I was wondering after you fill out all the background papers and submit them to the interviewing officier, how long from that point do you hear from them to get scheduled for the medical. I was told you have to pass the pre-background check before you're call. Is there a long waiting period for this check? Thanks

Hi Marcella,
I am presently on a ready pool for the Philly international airport, I am looking or a community in or outside of philly to move to once I get hired. Do yo have any ideas?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

denise in Lakewood, New Jersey

58 months ago

Bernie in Columbia, South Carolina said: Weekends OFF? EVERY weekend? Almost all security jobs, just like retail or hospitality, require some weekend work. Any single SO, public or private sector, who gets every weekend off may very well be depriving their co-workers' children of time with their parents.

It goes by senority, some people don't mind working weekends. If that is a problem for someone then the screener position is not a good fit. Not being mean, but that is the job requirements, doesn't matter if your single or married. Having kids is not a justification for weekends off and that is not fair to the single long working person.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

TSO_ NO! in San Diego, California

58 months ago

Tatiana said: A slip-shift is when you come in on one shift and work 4 hours, then you have 2-4 hours off in between which can be different each day, then you work another 4 hours on a different shift. Your hours change daily and mostly likely will end up working somedays during your breaks. And if you need a day off you have to go through two sets of supervisors, which means if one says yes and the other no, you don't get your day off.Most people who have done it, don't recommend it. Also, when a regular hour full time position does open up, you are usually passed over because they need people to do slip-shifts. The money isn't bad on slip-shifts, but the hours leave alot to be desired. You'll end up being at work at least 10-14 hours a day, yet only getting paid for 8-10. You'll have no time for yourself or other things outside of work.

As a new TSO it was very disheartening to find that the only path to full time was to accept a split shift first, Can't even bid for full time if you are a part time employee, only if you are a split shift employee first. Great for management, sucks for you! who want's to spend two additional DEAD hours at the airport with nothing to do? Not me!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Elizabeth in Sunderland, Massachusetts

55 months ago

Rich 6th year Tso in Norristown, Pennsylvania said: you got that right

Hi Rich, just wondering what the specifics are on the background check -- credit, criminal, anything else? Do they perform a check with Child Services, a/k/a DYS, (formerly DSS)?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.