Accredited Ultrasoun Tech Schools in San Diego,CA

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 341)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Mandy in San Diego, California

87 months ago

I noticed a posting with this question b4 but with no response. I'm very intersted in this field but having a hard time finding a school in San Diego. Any one have any suggestions? I am a single mom and can't move out of the San Diego area.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (186) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

Amy in Chula Vista, California

87 months ago

Mandy, have you found anything yet? I have been searching as well and can't seem to find a local school for ultrasound. Very frustrating!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Mandy in Lakeside, California

87 months ago

No luck yet.........

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

John in Madison, Wisconsin

85 months ago

Have you tried academyofultrasound.com. They offer online classes mixed with local clinicals. It might help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Debbie Gordon in Kennesaw, Georgia

85 months ago

Look at www.imultrasound.com. The requirements are that you either have a bachelor degree in anything or 2 years of healthcare experience. It's a good online school that offers a distance program and can be done by people who still need to work in the process. If you call the school, ask for Daryl Goodman. He's the recruiter. It's headquartered in Atlanta GA and all of their students but 1 have passed the registry test so I know the educational component is very good.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Pamela in Running Springs, California

82 months ago

Mandy in San Diego, California said: I noticed a posting with this question b4 but with no response. I'm very intersted in this field but having a hard time finding a school in San Diego. Any one have any suggestions? I am a single mom and can't move out of the San Diego area.

i know what you mean, and i hate to break the bad news to you, but i myself wanted to buy a house in san diego then goto school for ultrasound tech, but i have been searching, and have been told that there is no ultrasound courses in the san diego area, so i decided to hold off moving to san diego due to this, but for you maybe you can think alittle more maybe changing your career just for now just so you can make alittle more money now for you and your child, and then hopefully with enough demand and request from other people maybe soon after awhile san diego will offer a ultrasound course in a year or two, and you will have two degrees in two different areas. Something to think about. Good Luck, and Take Care. Pamela

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Marcie in San Diego, California

81 months ago

Thanks Debbie and John for your online schools information. I checked them out and they seem pretty legit. However, I would prefer to go to school the traditional way (in person) and like Mandy and Amy, it sure is VERY FRUSTRATING not finding a school here. I, too, cannot afford to move up north 2 hrs. away just to go school especially because I have a family of 4. If anyone hears of anymore online schools, please do give us the info on this website. It's greatly appreciated...!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

S.D. Sonographer in San Diego, California

81 months ago

I applaud your choice in choosing to become a Sonographer. It is a wonderfully rewarding career. The best way to find an accredited u/s school is to to go www.ardms.org . This is also the website you will need to go to when you will take your boards to become a licensed u/s tech.

Locally, the only accredited ultrasound school in San Diego is at UCSD Medical Center, Hillcrest. It is a hospital based program, not a online program. Nanette Forsythe is the director of the ultrasound program there. This program requires that you have already graduated from a accredited x-ray tech school. In San Diego, that would be San Diego Mesa Junior College.

I speak from experience as I am a u/s tech. I went to both Mesa and then UCSD. In all, it took me 3 years (2 years x-ray, 1 year u/s).

I'm sorry to tell you that if you wish to learn u/s online, it is a serious waste of your time! To learn how to be a ultrasound tech and to do ultrasound exams properly, you must have classes and a clinical site to have hands on experience performing the exams at the same time as learning about them. If no one has been kind enough to explain it before, then they have been doing you a terrible disservice. There is an incredible amount to learn: physics, cross sectional anatomy, and learning to distinguishing normal and abnormal pathology seen by u/s. Trying to find your own clinical site to get hands on experience in San Diego is supremely difficult even if you have finished a course from accredited u/s school with minimal clinical experience.

Another accredited u/s school (again, not online) is at Loma Linda University, Redlands (near San Bernadino). I am not familiar with their application process, but do know their u/s graduates are highly thought of.

Small colleges such as Merrick College as a example, may offer ultrasound and could be worth while to check into. Please make sure with ARDMS that the u/s school you choose, online or not, is accredited. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (71) / No Reply - Report abuse

Amy in Chula Vista, California

81 months ago

Thank you for sharing your knowledge of the ultrasound program. It's been an ongoing chat for several of us over the last year. Do you happen to know if PIMA is an accredited school and would be accepted at UCSD? The wait at Mesa is so long now that I'm thinking of going to PIMA because I could start next year instead of waiting.
Just curious.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

S.D. Sonographer in San Diego, California

81 months ago

Hi Amy! I don't know if PIMA is accredited or not. I do know that PIMA's x-ray students rotate through Scripps Memorial Hospital and Scripps Ximed Outpatient Imaging Center in La Jolla. So my best guest is that PIMA is accredited. If you Google: ARRT, perhaps the ARRT can tell you what you need to know. UCSD will not accept a "limited x-ray tech." Does this help you?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

S.D. Sonographer in San Diego, California

81 months ago

I looked at PIMA online...it didn't say if they were an accredited school or not. You could call them and ask. Another helpful website for x-ray accreditation is www.asrt.org

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sun in Colorado Springs, Colorado

81 months ago

S.D. Sonographer in San Diego, California said: I looked at PIMA online...it didn't say if they were an accredited school or not. You could call them and ask. Another helpful website for x-ray accreditation is www.asrt.org

I don't know why some schools require to be an X-ray Tech before even can start Ultrasound. You said that you already did X-ray and then Ultrasound. Don't you think it's waisting time to spend 2 years to study X-ray if someone want to be a Ultrasound Tech? I just wonder and would like to know how X-ray and Ultrasound is related. Please give me information with your experience. Thank you!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Amy in Chula Vista, California

81 months ago

S.D. Sonographer in San Diego, California said: Hi Amy! I don't know if PIMA is accredited or not. I do know that PIMA's x-ray students rotate through Scripps Memorial Hospital and Scripps Ximed Outpatient Imaging Center in La Jolla. So my best guest is that PIMA is accredited. If you Google: ARRT, perhaps the ARRT can tell you what you need to know. UCSD will not accept a "limited x-ray tech." Does this help you?

I looked and PIMA is an accredited school and I also talked to some of the hospitals and they all take graduates from PIMA. So I'm happy about that - it's just the toll of taking another 2 years upon x-ray to get to my goal of sonography that is upsetting. Seems like a long way away!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sun in Colorado Springs, Colorado

81 months ago

Amy in Chula Vista, California said: I looked and PIMA is an accredited school and I also talked to some of the hospitals and they all take graduates from PIMA. So I'm happy about that - it's just the toll of taking another 2 years upon x-ray to get to my goal of sonography that is upsetting. Seems like a long way away!

Amy, how much PIMA charge for X-ray course?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Liz Benn in Wheeling, Illinois

81 months ago

I was looking into going to school for sonography but I work during the day at my kid's daycare (saves loads on daycare tuition). Can anyone suggest a program in the Wheeling/Lake County area (Illinois) that offers night classes?

Thanks!!
Liz

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

S.D. Sonographer in San Diego, California

80 months ago

Hi Sun! To answer your question: Why do most Ultrasound schools want a prospective candidate to be a X-Ray Tech and graduate of a 2 year Radiologic Technology Program? Here are a few important reasons: 1. It is because you will be a expert in cross sectional anatomy already...so the ultrasound school won't need to teach you that part. 2. As a X-ray, CT or MRI Tech, you will come into the ultrasound school with a solid knowledge of how to look at radiologic images. Not as easy as one might think! X-ray schools, of course, teach you to do x-rays and how to read them. Generally, x-ray schools teach just enough about CT and MRI modalities so that you can easiliy transition from x-ray tech to CT or MRI tech. Why don't xray schools teach enough about ultrasound? Because it is a lot more to teach and learn. X-ray uses radiation to create a image while ultrasound uses sound waves (I won't insert a lesson in physics here more than that!). That is why there are seperate schools for x-ray and u/s.

Did I think it was a waste of my time to do 2 years of x-ray first? No. When I started x-ray school, I didn't know I would want to do u/s. You see Sun, you are one up on me as you already know what you want to do and it took me 2 years to figure that out! As a student, I did know that I wanted to make more money than a x-ray tech makes. Thats why I started looking at CT/MRI and U/S modalities. At the time, U/S Techs made the most money per hour. I figured, spending 1 more year of my time in a u/s school to make more money was worth it in the long run. Now, I believe MRI techs make slightly more money. However, I really enjoy doing u/s.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

S.D. Sonographer in San Diego, California

80 months ago

Amy in Chula Vista, California said: I looked and PIMA is an accredited school and I also talked to some of the hospitals and they all take graduates from PIMA. So I'm happy about that - it's just the toll of taking another 2 years upon x-ray to get to my goal of sonography that is upsetting. Seems like a long way away!

Amy, it may seem like a long time, but it truely flies past fast! I am glad to hear PIMA is accredited. Maybe by the time you graduate from PIMA, they will have a u/s program there too! I forgot to tell you the other day, Grossmont Community College offers a u/s program to become a Vascular Technologist (RVT). And that is right here in San Diego! I do not think they require you to be a x-ray tech first. You might think about checking it out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

S.D. Sonographer in San Diego, California

80 months ago

S.D. Sonographer in San Diego, California said: Amy, it may seem like a long time, but it truely flies past fast! I am glad to hear PIMA is accredited. Maybe by the time you graduate from PIMA, they will have a u/s program there too! I forgot to tell you the other day, Grossmont Community College offers a u/s program to become a Vascular Technologist (RVT). And that is right here in San Diego! I do not think they require you to be a x-ray tech first. You might think about checking it out.

Here is the link for Grossmont: www.grossmont.edu/healthprofessions/
You will want to look at the Cardiovascular Program. Then, look under Employment Opportunites and one of many is "diagnostic sonographer."

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sun in Colorado Springs, Colorado

80 months ago

S.D. Sonographer in San Diego, California said: Hi Sun! To answer your question: Why do most Ultrasound schools want a prospective candidate to be a X-Ray Tech and graduate of a 2 year Radiologic Technology Program? Here are a few important reasons: 1. It is because you will be a expert in cross sectional anatomy already...so the ultrasound school won't need to teach you that part. 2. As a X-ray, CT or MRI Tech, you will come into the ultrasound school with a solid knowledge of how to look at radiologic images. Not as easy as one might think! X-ray schools, of course, teach you to do x-rays and how to read them. Generally, x-ray schools teach just enough about CT and MRI modalities so that you can easiliy transition from x-ray tech to CT or MRI tech. Why don't xray schools teach enough about ultrasound? Because it is a lot more to teach and learn. X-ray uses radiation to create a image while ultrasound uses sound waves (I won't insert a lesson in physics here more than that!). That is why there are seperate schools for x-ray and u/s.

Did I think it was a waste of my time to do 2 years of x-ray first? No. When I started x-ray school, I didn't know I would want to do u/s. You see Sun, you are one up on me as you already know what you want to do and it took me 2 years to figure that out! As a student, I did know that I wanted to make more money than a x-ray tech makes. Thats why I started looking at CT/MRI and U/S modalities. At the time, U/S Techs made the most money per hour. I figured, spending 1 more year of my time in a u/s school to make more money was worth it in the long run. Now, I believe MRI techs make slightly more money. However, I really enjoy doing u/s.

I really apprciate of your advice. Not too long ago, I've been asked same question to one of the RT instructor, and the answer was "rad techs make better ultrasonographers." This answer didn't really helped me, yet your answer with experience is really helpful to me. Thank you so much

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sun in Colorado Springs, Colorado

80 months ago

Did I think it was a waste of my time to do 2 years of x-ray first? No. When I started x-ray school, I didn't know I would want to do u/s. You see Sun, you are one up on me as you already know what you want to do and it took me 2 years to figure that out! As a student, I did know that I wanted to make more money than a x-ray tech makes. Thats why I started looking at CT/MRI and U/S modalities. At the time, U/S Techs made the most money per hour. I figured, spending 1 more year of my time in a u/s school to make more money was worth it in the long run. Now, I believe MRI techs make slightly more money. However, I really enjoy doing u/s.

I need one more advice from you. As you know, my goal is to be a sonographer. Currently I applied two different schools. One is U/S program and the other one is RT program. Since I have a AAS-Medical Assisting degree, I could apply U/S program(by the way, it's not in my state. So, if they accept me, I have to move and pay out-state tuition for a year). Do you think it's still wise to go to the RT program first eventhough I can directly go to the U/S program? Could you please give me advice about this matter? I really need your advice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

S.D. Sonographer in San Diego, California

80 months ago

Sun in Colorado Springs, Colorado said: Did I think it was a waste of my time to do 2 years of x-ray first? No. When I started x-ray school, I didn't know I would want to do u/s. You see Sun, you are one up on me as you already know what you want to do and it took me 2 years to figure that out! As a student, I did know that I wanted to make more money than a x-ray tech makes. Thats why I started looking at CT/MRI and U/S modalities. At the time, U/S Techs made the most money per hour. I figured, spending 1 more year of my time in a u/s school to make more money was worth it in the long run. Now, I believe MRI techs make slightly more money. However, I really enjoy doing u/s.

I need one more advice from you. As you know, my goal is to be a sonographer. Currently I applied two different schools. One is U/S program and the other one is RT program. Since I have a AAS-Medical Assisting degree, I could apply U/S program(by the way, it's not in my state. So, if they accept me, I have to move and pay out-state tuition for a year). Do you think it's still wise to go to the RT program first eventhough I can directly go to the U/S program? Could you please give me advice about this matter? I really need your advice.

Hi Sun,

I think what you decide depends on several things:
1. Is the u/s program you are applying for accredited with ARDMS? Meaning, will you be able to sit for the ARDMS boards to get your licensure directly after graduation? That is a must!

2. If you have to jump thru some other nonsense hoops like: finding your own ckinical site to practice at, or not being able to take your ARDMS boards until a year later (yes, I have heard of a u/s school in Los Angeles that for some ridiculous reason makes you wait!), then that u/s program is NOT worth it.

3. The RT program is only worth while to you if you graduate as a "Radiographer" or "Radiologic Technologist" and NOT a "Limited X-ray Techician."

I'll tell you more later.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sun in Colorado Springs, Colorado

80 months ago

S.D. Sonographer in San Diego, California said: Hi Sun,

I think what you decide depends on several things:
1. Is the u/s program you are applying for accredited with ARDMS? Meaning, will you be able to sit for the ARDMS boards to get your licensure directly after graduation? That is a must!

2. If you have to jump thru some other nonsense hoops like: finding your own ckinical site to practice at, or not being able to take your ARDMS boards until a year later (yes, I have heard of a u/s school in Los Angeles that for some ridiculous reason makes you wait!), then that u/s program is NOT worth it.

3. The RT program is only worth while to you if you graduate as a "Radiographer" or "Radiologic Technologist" and NOT a "Limited X-ray Techician."

I'll tell you more later.

The U/S school that I applied is accredited and can sit for the exam right after the school without working 12 month. Also, the RT program is Radiologic Technology program. My concern is "Can I study U/S without any RT background knowledge?" (Well...I didn't get accepted U/S program yet. I am waiting for the interview)

Please give me your advice. I am really confused...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

S.D. Sonographer in San Diego, California

80 months ago

Hi Sun,

I'm sorry...I had to go last night to make dinner for my hungry family.

I don't think you are confused...you are on the right track! It seems hard because this is a important decision for you to make. Both of your U/S and Rad Tech programs sound good. You certainly don't have to go to a RT program first to become a U/S tech. Many excellent U/S techs don't have any x-ray training. If I was in your shoes, I would go do the interview for the U/S school. If you get accepted, then decide if paying out of state tuition is worthwhile. You can ask the u/s program if they offer finacial aid or have scholarship you can apply for. You can find out how long it takes to become a resident in that state and start the process of becoming a resident (I'm not sure what that state requires...openning a bank account, establishing a address, ect.) before you start the U/S program there.

If you do get accepted into the U/S program and the school doesn't offer finacial aid (its common unfortunately), you might think about postponing starting the U/S program until the following year. That would give you time to work and save money.

Or, go do the RT program. You may find you like x-ray or one of the other modalities better.

I have a question for you...have you volunteered at a local hospital in the radiology dept.? By doing so, you can see up close and personal how each modality operates. You can talk with the techs you are shadowing. U/S is the most hands on with patients while CT/MRI are the most hands off. Also, volunteering at a hospital in a given modality looks awesome on your school application / resume. You can aquire technologists in the field of your choice that will want to help you get into the modality of your choice. Generally, after spending some time volunteering, you can ask a technolgist if they are willing to be a reference for you when you apply into the U/S program. They always say yes.

I hope you are less confused now

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sun in Colorado Springs, Colorado

80 months ago

U/S is the most hands on with patients while CT/MRI are the most hands off.

S.D.

I deeply appreciate of your advice. It really helped me to figure out what I should do. Like you said, I should have some observation time with each modalities before make a final decision. Again, thank you for your advice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

S.D. Sonographer in San Diego, California

80 months ago

You are most welcome! Good luck Sun!

P.S. If you do plan on volunteering in a hospital, first call the u/s or radiology dept at the hospital of your choice. Ask if its possible to do some volunteer hours in u/s. You will need to talk to the manager or supervisior. Tell them you are focused on radiology, particularly u/s & you have a interview soon & would like to observe before your interview. They should say yes. Some ultrasound / radiology depts are very busy and may say no. Don't get discouraged. Just call another hospital.

If you call the hospital volunteer office first, they may want you to volunteer in other areas outside of radiology first, like nursing. If you have the approval of the u/s or radiology dept. already set up, then your volunteering hours are not wasted elsewhere.

Lastly, make sure all of your volunteer hours are documented with the volunteer's office. Then, when the u/s or radiology program calls to verify your volunteer work, your hours will match up with theirs. Believe me, its worth it! Have fun & have a nice weekend!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

S.D. Sonographer in San Diego, California

80 months ago

Oh yeah...one more thing Sun...if you know of a hospital that is known to be a teaching facility...usually the county hospital in your city, they are probably your best bet for volunteering. Or if you know anyone that is a doctor, call them and ask where is a good place to volunteer. Having friends in the right places can be helpful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sun in Colorado Springs, Colorado

80 months ago

S.D. Sonographer

Again, I really appreciate of your advice. I've got some more questions about the U/S job condition. English is not my first language(I speak an Asian language). Although I've got an AAS degree and working with American people, I still feel my English is not perfect. Does Sonographer need to talk a lot? Do you think my language skill(although I am not too bad) will affect the job? Do you have co-worker or previouse class mates who are the same situation as me?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

michael ray hose in Miami, Florida

80 months ago

S.D. Sonographer in San Diego, California said: Hi Sun! To answer your question: Why do most Ultrasound schools want a prospective candidate to be a X-Ray Tech and graduate of a 2 year Radiologic Technology Program? Here are a few important reasons: 1. It is because you will be a expert in cross sectional anatomy already...so the ultrasound school won't need to teach you that part. 2. As a X-ray, CT or MRI Tech, you will come into the ultrasound school with a solid knowledge of how to look at radiologic images. Not as easy as one might think! X-ray schools, of course, teach you to do x-rays and how to read them. Generally, x-ray schools teach just enough about CT and MRI modalities so that you can easiliy transition from x-ray tech to CT or MRI tech. Why don't xray schools teach enough about ultrasound? Because it is a lot more to teach and learn. X-ray uses radiation to create a image while ultrasound uses sound waves (I won't insert a lesson in physics here more than that!). That is why there are seperate schools for x-ray and u/s.

Did I think it was a waste of my time to do 2 years of x-ray first? No. When I started x-ray school, I didn't know I would want to do u/s. You see Sun, you are one up on me as you already know what you want to do and it took me 2 years to figure that out! As a student, I did know that I wanted to make more money than a x-ray tech makes. Thats why I started looking at CT/MRI and U/S modalities. At the time, U/S Techs made the most money per hour. I figured, spending 1 more year of my time in a u/s school to make more money was worth it in the long run. Now, I believe MRI techs make slightly more money. However, I really enjoy doing u/s.

I'm thinking about getting into a sonography program that is accredited in miami fl. I'm a male and from what I've heard there is quite a bit of discrimination as far as obgyn and general sonography for males seeking employment once licenced by ardms can anyone please help! advice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Ro in Sacramento, California

80 months ago

I would like some help in finding a Sonographer/Ultrasound College/School that is accredited in Sacramento, CA very hard to find here could someone HELP PLEASE!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Jenn in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

79 months ago

S.D. Sonographer in San Diego, California... i was wondering if you would like to answer a few questions i have about the sonography field

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Debbie Gordon in Marietta, Georgia

79 months ago

Sure. Send them to me. I'll answer as soon as I can.

Debbie

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer

79 months ago

I need help/advice! I decided to change careers 2 yrs ago. I enrolled into a sonography program at Newbridge College. I have been a massage therapist for 8 yrs now and did not get my associates degree beforehand. My enrollment options for career change were limited. Anyway, super excited to become a sonographer. I completed the program in 18 months. We had hands on training and educated in numerous areas of sonography. I found out my school was not accreditted by ARDMS and was reassured that I would be able to find a job although have to be in the field, paid for a yr until able to register with ARDMS. It has been 7 months now of diligently looking for a job! I have repeatedly asked for help from my school for placement but they have been so incompetent. I feel like I got duped and completely mis-led on my ability to find a job. I have now postponed my wedding and considering moving out of state to the middle of nowhere b myself for a yr to get a job. And I am still struggling with any break at all. I have recruiters working with me and I spend hrs a day either on the internet or on the rd. My question is this: anyone know of a place that would hire me? I was a phenominal student, have over 900 clinical hrs and been working in the health field for almost 10 yrs. Or, do I go to an accreddited school and see if any classes tranfer, or do I give up? I am exausted and overwhelmed with this! I just don't know what to do. I wish I would have known how serious ARDMS is to get a job in this abundant industry. Help!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Debbie in Lakeland, Florida

79 months ago

It's tough everywhere for new students to find employment. It's not so much the accreditation part as just being out of school. My advice is do what I did. I moved from Georgia to Florida. Too many schools and new grads in Georgia that were fighting for jobs and driving down the salaries. The job market is just much better here. There are places everywhere that will take new grads. You'll just have to move for a year. Take the fiance with you or come home on the weekends. A lot of places will let you work 4 10's or 3 12's so you can have extra days off durung the week. What's your specialty? If it's general or vascular there are jobs all over the place. Look at the magazine advance. You can google them. They'll send you it every month for free and the jobs are listed in the back. Also go to indeed.com and enter either ultrasound or sonography or echo and your state and see what comes up. Someone will take you. I'm a new grad from an unaccredited school and have been offered 2 jobs and interviewed for many more.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jenn in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

79 months ago

thanks!!... i'm doing an interview assignment for school & i have to interview a few people. here's some questions:
1)What kind of setting did you work in? (Hospital, clininc, private office)
2)What's the pay salary like?
3)What type of training did you have to go through?
4)What are some difficulties in the job?
5)Do you specialize in any certain area of ultrasound?
6)Have you had any unusual experiences in you time?
7)What do you enjoy most about your job?
..and if there's any other interesting facts about the job I'd be glad to hear. Thanks Again!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

S.D. Sonographer in San Diego, California

79 months ago

Jenn in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: S.D. Sonographer in San Diego, California... i was wondering if you would like to answer a few questions i have about the sonography field

Hi Jen in Philidelphia!

Sorry it has taken me several days to reply. What questions do you have for me? I'll try to help you if I can.

S.D. Sonographer

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

S.D. Sonographer in San Diego, California

79 months ago

RE:

Jennifer said: I need help/advice! I decided to change careers 2 yrs ago.

Yes, I agree with you... I think the u/s school you went to pulled a fast one unfortunately. That happens all too frequently here in Southern California with un-accredited schools.
However, all is not lost. Did I understand you correctly when you stated you can sit for your ARDMS boards in one year after graduation? That at least gives you time to keep studying so you will be ready to take the boards when the time comes. Here is what I advise you to do to get a u/s job: go talk directly to the Ultrasound Manager or Lead Sonographer at a facility in which you would like to work and has a current jog openning. They will understand your position more than a recruiter will. A local Sonographer can also tell you if they have heard of positions in your area willing to hire a graduate of a un-accredited school, especially if you are intending on taking your ARDMS as soon as you are able. Keep trying, don't give up. Question for you: how are graduates regarded from the school you went to?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

S.D. Sonographer in San Diego, California

79 months ago

Jenn in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: thanks!!... i'm doing an interview assignment for school & i have to interview a few people. here's some questions:
1)What kind of setting did you work in? (Hospital, clininc, private office)
2)What's the pay salary like?
3)What type of training did you have to go through?
4)What are some difficulties in the job?
5)Do you specialize in any certain area of ultrasound?
6)Have you had any unusual experiences in you time?
7)What do you enjoy most about your job?
..and if there's any other interesting facts about the job I'd be glad to hear. Thanks Again!

Hi Jenn,
Here are my answers to your questions:
1. I currently work in both a large hospital and busy outpatient clinic.
2. In my experience, salaries for sonographers in California are great! In general, I make upwards of $35.00 per hour(I'm not going to tell you how much I make exactly ;) ). I make about this much due to my experience, ARDMS licensure and willingness to work per diem.
3. AA degree Radiologic Technology, then Sonography certificate from a accredited sonography school.
4. Difficulties include: First, passing ARDMS! Secondly, hospitals expect u/s tech's to work weekends, holidays and take lot's of call at night (with the latter you make good money though, but I like my sleep). Thirdly, poor body ergonomics are also a difficulty in this field: reaching over a patient, pressing the transducer against a patient. Both can take their toll on a sonographer.
5. I do general diagnostic sonography, vascular sonography and a lot of interventional procedures with ultrasound guidance.
6. I've had too many good and bad unusual experiences to recount here. The good experience do outweigh the bad, thankfully! Met some famous people. I love telling expectant parents they are having twins...that's the most fun for me.
7. I like the ever changing & challenging field of ultrasound. The money is good too.

SD Sonographer

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jenn in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

79 months ago

it's o0k i'm doing an interview assignment for school & i have to interview a few people. here's some questions i had:
1)What kind of setting did you work in? (Hospital, clininc, private office)
2)What's the pay salary like?
3)What type of training did you have to go through?
4)What are some difficulties in the job?
5)Do you specialize in any certain area of ultrasound?
6)Have you had any unusual experiences in you time?
7)What do you enjoy most about your job?
..and if there's any other interesting facts about the job I'd be glad to hear. Thanks Again!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

S.D. Sonographer in San Diego, California

79 months ago

Hi Jenn,

I replied to your questions yesterday. And I will write a little more on #7.

S.D. Sonographer

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

nad

79 months ago

hi S.D

i was thinking going to ultrasound,and really love to be specialist in certain area, i like to work pregnant women. so my question is what i need to do? thak you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

S.D. Sonographer in San Diego, California

79 months ago

Hi Nad,

You would like to become a sonographer specializing in obstetrics (pregnancy), correct? You will need to find a accredited ultrasound school in the area you live that will teach you "Diagnostic Medical Sonography." Diagnostic Medical Sonographers (or as we are commonly called ultrasound technologists) are trained to do pregnancy ultrasounds as well as other u/s exams including: abdominal, pelvic, small parts (thyroid, breast, scrotum) and some vascular (looking at arteries and veins). There is no shortcut to learning only to do pregnancies u/s exams, if you are wondering. After graduating from a accredited school, taking your ARDMS licensure, it is possible to get work only doing pregnacy u/s exams. OB/GYN doctors offices and many fine hospitals have sonographers specializing in perinatology/obstetrics.

I'll post a link for accredited ultrasound schools for you.
Good luck!

S.D.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

S.D. Sonographer in San Diego, California

79 months ago

Here is the best link for finding a accredited sonography program in your area:

www.caahep.org

or try:

www.ardms.org

S.D. Sonographer

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Liz in Roseville, California

79 months ago

Mandy in San Diego, California said: I noticed a posting with this question b4 but with no response. I'm very intersted in this field but having a hard time finding a school in San Diego. Any one have any suggestions? I am a single mom and can't move out of the San Diego area.

For Cardiac Sonography you can go to Grossmont College. They have an accredited program.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

S.D. Sonographer in San Diego, California

79 months ago

Liz in Roseville, California said: For Cardiac Sonography you can go to Grossmont College. They have an accredited program.

Hi Mandy,

For Diagnostic Medical Sonography, UCSD Medial Center in Hillcrest (a suburb of San Diego) has a excellent, accredited 1 year program. However, unless their policy has changed, one must be a X-ray Technologist first.

Yesterday I listed two different websites you can check for accredited u/s schools. But in San Diego, the only two I know of are at UCSD Medical Center and also at Grossmont Community College. As Liz said, they have a accredited Cardiovasular program.

Here is the link for Grossmont: www.grossmont.edu/healthprofessions/
You will want to look at the Cardiovascular Program. Then, look under Employment Opportunites and one of many is "diagnostic sonographer."

Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Hope in San Diego, California

79 months ago

Hi S.D. Sonographer,

I hope you would be able to answer some of my questions:

1. Do I need to take prerequisites if I enroll @ UCSD and Grossmont (I graduated college in 1995)for u/s program?

2. There are other forums that talked about "online programs". One of these are Institue of Medical Sonography in Atlanta, GA. It's not accredited but students can take the ARDMS exam after graduation. Any thoughts on this?

3. Also, are there clinical sites in SoCal that are willing to facilitate u/s services?

Thank you so much in advance!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

BMalone in San Diego, California

79 months ago

Are you able to move Hope? There are several accredited schools up into northern CA-one of which I will be attending. yea-I would be careful in choosing a program-listen to S.D. on here who is a tech-after reading all the posts about going to an unaccredited school i am so glad I did not-too expensive and sounds like one big headache. Good luck and peace. thanks also S.D. for your helpful comments.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

S.D. Sonographer in San Diego, California

79 months ago

Hope in San Diego, California said: Hi S.D. Sonographer,

I hope you would be able to answer some of my questions:

1. Do I need to take prerequisites if I enroll @ UCSD and Grossmont (I graduated college in 1995)for u/s program?

2. There are other forums that talked about "online programs". One of these are Institue of Medical Sonography in Atlanta, GA. It's not accredited but students can take the ARDMS exam after graduation. Any thoughts on this?

3. Also, are there clinical sites in SoCal that are willing to facilitate u/s services?

Thank you so much in advance!!

Hi Hope,

Here are my answers to your questions:

1. For UCSD Sonography Program, contact Nannette Forsythe. She is the program director there. I do not know if anything has changed, but one had to be a Radiologic Technologist (I was) in order to be considered for the application/interview process. I do not know if Nan has changed the prerequisites for applying at UCSD or not.

For Grossmont College, I am unable to give you specific help. I never went there. However, I bet the prerequisites are posted online. Here is the link for Grossmont: www.grossmont.edu/healthprofessions/
Look for the Cardiovascular Program.

2. I do not know about any online programs for u/s and therefore cannot recommend them. This morning I did visit the u/s website you mentioned: Institue of Medical Sonography in Atlanta, GA. It states is is accredited but cannot guarentee its accreditation for graduates and taking RDMS. Did I read that right? Sounds kinda fishy to me. Any school you are seriously looking at, please check first with accrediting bodies such as ARDMS and CAAHEP.

3. Yes there are, but they are few and far between. Unless you are in a program like UCSD's, Grossmont, Loma Linda, ect. Those schools have long established relations at local area hospitals U/S Departments for their students to get hands on clinical practice. Its part of their curriculum.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

S.D. Sonographer in San Diego, California

79 months ago

S.D. Sonographer in San Diego, California said: Hi Hope,

Here are my answers to your questions:

1. For UCSD Sonography Program, contact Nannette Forsythe. She is the program director there. I do not know if anything has changed, but one had to be a Radiologic Technologist (I was) in order to be considered for the application/interview process. I do not know if Nan has changed the prerequisites for applying at UCSD or not.

For Grossmont College, I am unable to give you specific help. I never went there. However, I bet the prerequisites are posted online. Here is the link for Grossmont: www.grossmont.edu/healthprofessions/
Look for the Cardiovascular Program.

2. I do not know about any online programs for u/s and therefore cannot recommend them. This morning I did visit the u/s website you mentioned: Institue of Medical Sonography in Atlanta, GA. It states is is accredited but cannot guarentee its accreditation for graduates and taking RDMS. Did I read that right? Sounds kinda fishy to me. Any school you are seriously looking at, please check first with accrediting bodies such as ARDMS and CAAHEP.

3. Yes there are, but they are few and far between. Unless you are in a program like UCSD's, Grossmont, Loma Linda, ect. Those schools have long established relations at local area hospitals U/S Departments for their students to get hands on clinical practice. Its part of their curriculum.

Hope, I do hope I was helpful to you.

S.D. Sonographer

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lisa

79 months ago

There seems to be alot od helpful people here so.... Any just ultrasound school in phila

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

S.D. Sonographer in San Diego, California

79 months ago

Lisa said: There seems to be alot od helpful people here so.... Any just ultrasound school in phila

Hi Lisa,

The best way to find a accredited ultrasound/sonography schools in your area is by searching for them on the following websites:

www.caahep.org

or try:

www.ardms.org

Hope you find something local to you!
S.D. Sonographer

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.