Technicians versus Sonographers

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 259)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Tom in Palm Bay, Florida

79 months ago

I just want to learn more about the Ultrasound profession. I've been looking into this career for some time now, and I just can't make up my mind.

So if any of you can help, I have some questions.

Is the termonology for this hard?
How in depth do you get into the anatamy?
And after looking over those machines they use, they look extremely complex. What is your take on this?

Thank you to all that can help!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

chris in Braggs, Oklahoma

79 months ago

Tom, it is not an easy fix for good pay. I have read several of your posts- and i now understand why half of my class failed out. Terminology is terminology- if you understand the origin of the words- then it is not hard- but def not easy. You have to know EVERYTHING about anatomy and the relation of every single organ to another. not only is it anatomy- it's pathology. I am sorry- i cant tell you what to do, but if you are truly interested in the field then go for it! but make sure you have a great understanding of the career. It is not easy, but if you are determined- nothing should be in your way. Why are you interested in US?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

tom in Palm Bay, Florida

79 months ago

chris in Braggs, Oklahoma said: Tom, it is not an easy fix for good pay. I have read several of your posts- and i now understand why half of my class failed out. Terminology is terminology- if you understand the origin of the words- then it is not hard- but def not easy. You have to know EVERYTHING about anatomy and the relation of every single organ to another. not only is it anatomy- it's pathology. I am sorry- i cant tell you what to do, but if you are truly interested in the field then go for it! but make sure you have a great understanding of the career. It is not easy, but if you are determined- nothing should be in your way. Why are you interested in US?

Hey Chris... Why are you so angry? And why is it everyone I speak to in the medical field is so pissy? I mean do you need a hug?

I'm asking simple questions, and I just wanted simple answers. But I guess people like you is why the medical field is getting a bad name. It's because your so up tight. If you don't like people, you shouldn't be around them daily. And thats what I have told all my employees when I get attitude out of them like yours.

Its amazing how many people are in the medical field that have such crappy attitudes. And all you hear is, I'm in this field because I like to help people..

with what suicide...?

thanks for your help Chris

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

tom in Palm Bay, Florida said: Hey Chris... Why are you so angry? And why is it everyone I speak to in the medical field is so pissy? I mean do you need a hug?

I'm asking simple questions, and I just wanted simple answers. But I guess people like you is why the medical field is getting a bad name. It's because your so up tight. If you don't like people, you shouldn't be around them daily. And thats what I have told all my employees when I get attitude out of them like yours.

Its amazing how many people are in the medical field that have such crappy attitudes. And all you hear is, I'm in this field because I like to help people..

with what suicide...?

thanks for your help Chris

i am not angry, i am frustrated. I am simply trying to tell you that you need to do some research in the field and realize it is not all puppies and rainbows. It pisses me off that schools enroll students that have no business in the program- just to get 40k out of them. I am very compassionate and excellent in patient care, but there is a reason as to why "all" medical professionals are uptight. You need to be thinking about all of this instead of wondering if the terminology is hard and how much anatomy you really need to know. I am not sure how you got a negative feel from my reply...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

tom in Palm Bay, Florida

79 months ago

chris in Braggs, Oklahoma said: i am not angry, i am frustrated. I am simply trying to tell you that you need to do some research in the field and realize it is not all puppies and rainbows. It pisses me off that schools enroll students that have no business in the program- just to get 40k out of them. I am very compassionate and excellent in patient care, but there is a reason as to why "all" medical professionals are uptight. You need to be thinking about all of this instead of wondering if the terminology is hard and how much anatomy you really need to know. I am not sure how you got a negative feel from my reply...

You say to do some research, well that's why these forums are created. For people like me to do my research, and for people like your self to discuss job related things.

But I guess this forum doesn't have the information I need to do my research.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

tom in Palm Bay, Florida said: You say to do some research, well that's why these forums are created. For people like me to do my research, and for people like your self to discuss job related things.

But I guess this forum doesn't have the information I need to do my research.

Forums are a great way to get comments about schools and pros and cons of a profession. Look at the curriculum of different programs, read an ultrasound book, observe a department- this is how you see if it is right for you. goodluck tom.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Andrea in Holiday, Florida

78 months ago

Kyle in Spokane, Washington said: What a bunch of nonsense. MRI techs are some of the most sophisticated techs around...much more so than ultrasound techs. MRI physics are beyond anything you can obviously comprehend. I would challenge you to try and learn it. Ultrasound is much easier to learn and a NO BRAINER job. Anyone who knows anatomy can do ultrasound!!!

How many years of schooling do you need to be an ultrasound tech. I am not good in math, is that a down fall for me? I have no degrees in anything, just need to
do something with my life, and be able to help husband pay the bills. Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Andrea

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Professor X in Santiago, Dominican Republic

78 months ago

Tom in Palm Bay, Florida said: I just want to learn more about the Ultrasound profession. I've been looking into this career for some time now, and I just can't make up my mind.

So if any of you can help, I have some questions.

Is the termonology for this hard?
How in depth do you get into the anatamy?
And after looking over those machines they use, they look extremely complex. What is your take on this?

Thank you to all that can help!!

Hello Andrea and Tom! If you are looking for basic and advanced training in abdominal and peripheral vascular ultrasound, please keep me in mind. I can help you become prepared for the competitive world of ultrasound. The training I offer is directly with patients and can be in groups or in private- you choose what method of learning you'd like. If you have little time, I can give you crash courses in abdomen and peripheral vascular ultrasound. For more details, please reach me at charles.segovia@gmail.com.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

scott k in Goldsboro, North Carolina

78 months ago

I have a general question. I have looked at allot of wage charts for C.T., MRI, and ultrasound, but these charts are estimates. My question is what is the average pay for each profession? I know Pay is determined on where you live. But one profession pays more than the next in most areas. And is it possible to earn over time with time and half pay? Thanks for everyone’s' help and answers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ThatsMintttt in Staten Island, New York

78 months ago

Hello everyone,
I belong to a forum on here about ultrasound but I have to say it isnt anything like this one. It seems to me too that there a little "tension" on this forum from some of the comments and replies to people I've been reading. I hope you all dont mind me asking some questions. I'm enrolled in an accredited school right now for MA (medical assistant). I didnt have credits from a previous college so I needed to enroll in there MA program in order to be able to qualify for there ultrasound program(which is also accredited); and ultimately, u/s is what I really want to get into. Everyone one on this forum seems to be very knowledgable which is reassuring, so I need to ask a few questions. First-I am very serious about ultrasound, and it's something that I've been researching for a while now before I decided that is what I ultimately wanted to do. I want to make sure that I do things the right way though. The program that my school has to offer is for ultrasound "technician". I am seeing some comments on here that there is a huge difference between technician and technologist. I was under the impression though that the term "technologist" and "technician" just varys from state to state, meaning that I thought it meant the same thing just that different places use different terms. If I am wrong please tell me, and tell me why. So, if I enroll in my school for u/s "technician" is that just a big waste of time since I'm basically seeing that everyone is saying technician isnt that good? What about if I take the registry exam? When I take that exam and pass it, then will that make me licensed? Or, certified? Or, Technologist? How do I get the "technologist" title, and if I only get the "technician" title will I have a harder time finding employment?.........I know I wrote a lot, and I apologize but if you've actually read all this-serious replies would be appreciated if you'd like to w/b. Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

scott k in Goldsboro, North Carolina said: I have a general question. I have looked at allot of wage charts for C.T., MRI, and ultrasound, but these charts are estimates. My question is what is the average pay for each profession? I know Pay is determined on where you live. But one profession pays more than the next in most areas. And is it possible to earn over time with time and half pay? Thanks for everyone’s' help and answers.

Hello Scott how are you? I'm not an expert on Ultrasound, but I'm like you I crave information, and ever since finding this forum I have to say it's been helpful. I belong to another one on u/s on here too, this one I just joined recently. Anyway, a really good way to try to find out what the pay for all the occupations you mentioned, is go onto the US department of labor website, click on where it says "health technicians/technologists" theyre under the same category, and then scroll down, you'll start to see, MRI tech, ultrasound, Radiologist, etc...the base, median, maximum pay is all listed right there next to them, AND if that doesnt work you can even just click on your state, it should be there. I clicked on N.Y thats where I live. I am not an ultrasound technician yet but I'm working on trying to get there and I plan on being one some day. I hope my info was helpful, if not I'm sorry.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

A technologist is one that performs an exam and also has an understanding of the exam and equipment involved...ie- in ultrasound, the ability to apply physics to adjust the correct gain and adjustments to make the image correct and "pretty" are equally as important as being able to locate the given organ. A technician is one that performs a test. they are not required to manipulate the technology and do not have an understanding of the given exam. Anyone that works in the ultrasound field is automatically an ultrasound technologist. physics are a vital part of the career. becoming registered does not make you a technologist, it is just a way of proving that you are proficient in your study. I am not sure why your school calls it US technician....oxymoron???? and maybe it is a region thing....but by definition, we are technologists- not technicians. did you get my last email? i sent it from my phone and have had some troubles with them sending. grrr ATT.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

Hey Chris, thanks so much. I didnt know you belonged to this forum too? I think it's great that you make yourself available to people who want to know so much. Oh, and I have NO idea why the hell my school calls it "technician", but to be honest, I've been searching around and I'm seeing that basically EVERY school in N.Y, calls it technician???........Very weird. Maybe it is just the term they use. Oh and I knew that if you take the exam and pass it, that means that you were proficient in your study, but I was just so confused with the whole technician and technologist thing that I really wasnt sure anymore, I gotta be honest with ya! It does mean however, (if you pass the exam) that you are licensed then, right? Just want to make sure that is still correct. Why does it all have to be so compicated for? Technologist-technician-technologist-technician-technologist-technician............Ugggggggggggh....Anyway, thanks again. Oh and if anyone else in the forum would like to reply to my comment, please also do so. Later people! = 0 )

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

no prob. and yes you would be "licensed" instead of your title being ultrasound technologist, you become registered ultrasound technologist. oh and also get to put fun letters after your name on all of your studies lol. my signature is C.H. RDMS,RVT,RDCS

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

lol, thanks Christ

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

ThatsMintttt in Staten Island, New York said: lol, thanks Christ

Not christ! I meant thanks Chris, lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer in Aiken, South Carolina

78 months ago

I am a student trying to explore and define who and what i want to be. The people at the beginning are acting childish, why couldn't you just put the things you learn from both subjects and use them to find and explore more things. I have just finished shadowing at University Hospital in Augusta Georgia and they can do some pretty cool stuff with high risk pregnacy pts. You don't see them on here wasting time there in there offices trying to find new ways and ideas to help and treat there pts. By the way i'm a junior in high school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

Jennifer you seem to have a good head on your shoulders. You're right. There are some immature people on this. A lot of bickering back and fourth too about what's right and what's wrong, what's better, what's not, etc..etc...Some people talk out of there as** when mean while they dont even know what they are talking about. Some of them are from a different state than you and if you tell them something is a certain way in "your" state, they'll tell you that you're wrong when mean while they have no clue how things work in your state. I'm not an ultrasound technician but I plan on being one in about 2 years. I have to finish my medical assistant course first. Take care.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

Just wanted to know if someone could give me the official web site for the ARDMS. I had it a while ago but do not have it anymore.

Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

jennifer in Aiken, South Carolina

78 months ago

thanks and God speed on your course

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kelli in Reston, Virginia

78 months ago

Wow. I came here looking for some good information and all I see is petty, childish bickering and bashing of one another.

Off to find a more informative site.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

Kelli in Reston, Virginia said: Wow. I came here looking for some good information and all I see is petty, childish bickering and bashing of one another.

Off to find a more informative site.....

LoL....I agree Kelly..Believe me, I agree..That is why I dont ask questions or chat on this one anymore..There are more ultrasound forums on here, but this one the (sonographers vs. technicians), is more of a battle between the two occupations...Take care..Sorry it discouraged you..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

reevy in Wallingford, Connecticut

77 months ago

is it ethical to perform ultrasound exams on friends or family? does anyone's employer have a policy on that ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

I dont see why it wouldnt be Ok? I mean, I have no idea and I'm no expert so please dont go by what I say..But, in my opinion I'd say what the heck? Why not? If you are certified, there should be no problem.

reevy in Wallingford, Connecticut

77 months ago

i am refering to off-the record exams for friends
not billed or officially read.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

Yea, I know what you meant by that. And again, I'm no expert but I'd have to say, why not? If you are confident that you know what you're doing, and your family doesnt mind that it is off the record and not being done in a professional looking office, and they feel comfortable with you-then once again I really have to say, why the heck not? If it's not being done in an office, then why would you need permission from someone? I could be wrong though.

lostnconfused in Columbus, Mississippi

77 months ago

reevy in Wallingford, Connecticut said: is it ethical to perform ultrasound exams on friends or family? does anyone's employer have a policy on that ?

There may be a conflict of interest.

Natalie Ellis in Lafayette, Louisiana

77 months ago

I'm looking into becoming a registered ultrasound technician (that's what my state calls it) and I'm worried about the required physics coursework. Can anyone tell me how many physics classes you took and how difficult the physics classes are?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Babyj2g in teaneck, New Jersey

76 months ago

Ok I'm thinking about taking a ultrasound technologist program its a 16 month course and includes externship but it only certifies you. I have all my prerequisites for nursing already b/c thats what I was going to take but decided not to. Will the classes that I took help me out a little in this program?? And u guys might think i'm stupid but i'm gonna ask the question ne way. Most of the ultrasound technologist job openings that i've seen require you to be a reg diagnostic med sonographer. Do i also have to take a program for that to be qualified???

76 months ago

Hi this is to Babyj2g in teaneck

I cant answer your question on why you're seeing specific adds for employers asking for "diagnostic medical sonographer's", but I can answer your question on the whole certificate thing. I dont know what anyone else has told you about that or is going to tell you, but from what I've heard from actual employer's and people who have graduated for it and already gotten jobs-It isnt so much "certificate vs. diploma". Employers pretty much arent concerned about what "route" you took to become an ultrasound or cardiovascular technician, they are VERY CONCERNED with you either going to an accredited or unaccredited school. The school you choose MUST be accredited, please take my whole hearted advice on that. Go to this website, www.CAAHEP.com and see if the school you are looking into, is on that list. If it is not, I would highly think twice about going to that school and choose one that is closest to you on that list. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

babyj2g

76 months ago

this is the reply i got back from the tech school i wanted to go to
"Our school is accredited .But you are looking for Ultrasound program that is accredited by CAAHEP. Our programs are not CAAHEP accredited. However we have a two years Ultrasound program that will meet the Prerequisite # 1according to ARDMS catalog. Further more to get a clear understanding you must contact the ARDMS directly"

So that means I cant take the exam to get certified right????

76 months ago

DONT GO IF IT IS NOT CAAHEP ACCREDITED...PERIOD...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

babyj2g

76 months ago

Ok thanks Minttt.....damn that means I'm gonna have to go to NY for schollll..ahhhhhhhhhhh....but thanks alot u were alot of help.

76 months ago

Hey babyj2g, no problem! Take care, and good luck.

Jason in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

76 months ago

Hi everyone,
I'm interested in opinions on going to either OUHSC vs a Technology Center to complete my training. What are the advantages of having a BSRT from OU in Sonography vs a Certification from a technology center. Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

J in Paramus, New Jersey

76 months ago

Babyj2g in teaneck, New Jersey said: Ok I'm thinking about taking a ultrasound technologist program its a 16 month course and includes externship but it only certifies you. I have all my prerequisites for nursing already b/c thats what I was going to take but decided not to. Will the classes that I took help me out a little in this program?? And u guys might think i'm stupid but i'm gonna ask the question ne way. Most of the ultrasound technologist job openings that i've seen require you to be a reg diagnostic med sonographer. Do i also have to take a program for that to be qualified???

i know where you live around. why don't you go to Bergen Community College. it's close and it's cheap and it is accredited. Their sonography programs are one of the best and well respected in nj. Yeah, it's competitive but it's worth it to become a really good entry level sonographer. NO i am not a sonographer, I am an x ray tech but I know the reputation from my friends, and coworkers who are sonographers. Either that, go to UMDNJ's sonography program, they are good too. By the way don't go to HOHOKUS!

J in Paramus, New Jersey

76 months ago

babyj2g said: Ok thanks Minttt.....damn that means I'm gonna have to go to NY for schollll..ahhhhhhhhhhh....but thanks alot u were alot of help.

no it's not 16 months but its less than 2 years. since you said you took nursing preequisites before, most of the preequisites are done. ny, ah too far and too much. i know they take only a few students but it's better than a lot. Like I said before, go to BCC or UMDNJ. Don't ask me the deadline though. www.umdnj.com (go to school of health professions). good luck.

babyj2g

76 months ago

Yea BCC is a good school thats where I took all of my nursin prereqs. And as for hohokus they are a rip off cause they make u do so much more shyt that u dont want to do and they charge you an arm and a leg.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

J in Paramus, New Jersey

76 months ago

babyj2g said: Yea BCC is a good school thats where I took all of my nursin prereqs. And as for hohokus they are a rip off cause they make u do so much more shyt that u dont want to do and they charge you an arm and a leg.

yeah, same i took all my classes for x ray and nursing there. you probably have seen me there for a while before i graduated or i have seen you unknowingly. hohokus, i heard too much stuff about them from sonographers and plus they are not accredited. btw, why didn't you continue your nursing degree?

babyj2g

76 months ago

well if u know BCC u know that their standards for the entrance test is crazy...I took it like 2 years ago and I got a 93 so i'm thinking i'm in and they said i didnt make the cut off cause the cut off was a 95.7 and now i heard its a 97. sumthing...its crazy plus i kinda dont want to do nursing ne more cause i work at englewood hospital right now as a nursing assistant and the nurses dont really work WITH the patients they work more wid the computers and thats not me..... i'd rather work with the patiens more. and yea i probably have seen u since we took most of the same classes.

J in Paramus, New Jersey

76 months ago

babyj2g said: well if u know BCC u know that their standards for the entrance test is crazy...I took it like 2 years ago and I got a 93 so i'm thinking i'm in and they said i didnt make the cut off cause the cut off was a 95.7 and now i heard its a 97. sumthing...its crazy plus i kinda dont want to do nursing ne more cause i work at englewood hospital right now as a nursing assistant and the nurses dont really work WITH the patients they work more wid the computers and thats not me..... i'd rather work with the patiens more. and yea i probably have seen u since we took most of the same classes.

wow that's how competitive it has become. i got in the nursing program with an 89, that was 4 years ago. i quit nursing all together because it wasn't for me so i took xray and moving on after that. if you really want to work with patients one on one with less paper work (oh god i hate those), ultrasound is one or respiratory therapy (now i feel like i should take this course out of my own pocket of money considering i have been working and saving since school was over). sorry to ask, do you know someone named jayvee?

babyj2g

76 months ago

I actually signed up for respiratory therapy for this september i'm just waiting for a response on that but I was lookin into ultrasound too cause I dont want to waste my time if respiratory therapy dosent come throught for me...Jayvee sounds familiar is he filipino???

J in Paramus, New Jersey

76 months ago

thats actually a good move what you did, i dont blame you. it's actually in demand honestly, respiratory thearpy. Jayvee (paramus is not where i am from, i just put it there but nearby it) is actually me =P and yeah i am filipino. honestly i think i know you. sorry to ask but do you have aim? mine is mysticalfliprt

babyj2g

76 months ago

Yea my screen name is babyj2g....i might know u if i saw u......so where r u from?

dman in New Windsor, New York

76 months ago

is hohokus school a bad idea.. the reason why i want to go there mainly is because they have evening class for Sonography

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Elena in Dover, New Jersey

76 months ago

Hey girls, why Hohokus is that bad???
Expensive?? Yeah, I know..but is a privat school isn'it????

Of course is not accredited by Caahep which is a big diff..
I supposed to started there last January having my Certified Cardiographic Technician Certif. already and go for the registry, but I turned into Nursing..
But you still can be certified by CCI though..Most hospitals ask for ARMDS..hmmmm not good..
The only one certified by Caahep is Stan, Brown in Iselin..(private school ) and Molloy in NY..
Bergen and Umdnj are hard to get in..

J in Paramus, New Jersey

76 months ago

Why do I think Hohokus is a bad school for entry level sonographers?
I didn't get the right information until this year when a good friend of mine who is also a coworker who is also a veteran sonographer told me this. Any school for sonography is not accredited by CAAHEP, you are good as dead and you just wasted your money regardless what that damn institution says. Besides she said she wasn't impress by the graduates there. I won't tell you what happened by her experience when her father had to get a sonography exam by the Hohokus graduate or student. Besides, you actually have to find a place who is willing to accept you as a student in order to take the registry exam by the ARDMS or ARRT, yikes! What I have heard not a lot of students found jobs as a sonographer out of that school. Besides its too damn expensive!

School of Sonography in Muhlenberg Hospital is an accredited one. They take a few students though and I believe you have to take a test in order to get in. It is affiliated with Union Community College. It's location I believe is in Trenton.

J in Paramus, New Jersey

76 months ago

btw, i am not trying to be a$$ honestly. I am just trying to save people from spending too much money. I hate scammers more than anything honestly. The only thing I would say about Hohokus is that they do have a good LPN program. I think if you really want to be in the medical field and really help people and FIND JOBS RIGHT AWAY with decent salary, go become a LPN if money is an issue. It is a hard program though even in that school. Good luck to all.

DMAN in Cranbury, New Jersey

76 months ago

well am not going there..thanks for the help folks..

jamal in Englewood, New Jersey

76 months ago

actually now cath lab techs that are both ARRT and RCIS are paid more than rad therapists,,,

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.