Job outlook!????

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 60)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

futuredms in Orlando, Florida

52 months ago

I just got accepted into a dms program and start in the fall, but I'm sooo nervous because I keep coming across forums with people stating there are no jobs in the field right now. I've wanted to do this for sooo long now, and have been doing prereq's for over 2 years to get into the program and do not want to change my career. any input would be much appreciated! thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (38) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

cardinal78 in Coventry, Rhode Island

52 months ago

futuredms in Orlando, Florida said: I just got accepted into a dms program and start in the fall, but I'm sooo nervous because I keep coming across forums with people stating there are no jobs in the field right now. I've wanted to do this for sooo long now, and have been doing prereq's for over 2 years to get into the program and do not want to change my career. any input would be much appreciated! thanks.

hi there, have you been able to find any information? I am also supposed to be starting in the fall and I have the same concerns!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

April in Farmington, New Mexico

52 months ago

I went to college for 4 years in sonogram and still no effin job. i aplied to all my local hospitals and small dr offices. now days u have to sleep with someone to get a damn job!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

futuredms in Orlando, Florida

52 months ago

The school I am going to does not a have a class on vascular ultrasound in the program...does that mean I would need additional schooling to become an RVT? I have no clue how to specialize in vascular, but would really like to.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Lily in Zanesville, Ohio

51 months ago

futuredms - If your school does not offer a vascular program, then you will have to obtain additional instruction to become an RVT. If you want to specialize in vascular, you have two options:

1) Go to another (ALWAYS CAAHEP ACCREDITED) school that offers the vascular specialty

or

2) Continue with your education, obtain your ARDMS (physics + one specialty), and find a job that is willing to train you into vascular. You'll also have to learn the information for the registry, either on your own or through additional schooling.

I did option #2 personally, but that was several years ago when ultrasound jobs were much more plentiful. Everyone in my graduating class had a job lined up before we graduated. That is no longer the case anymore. With today's economy and the saturation of the ultrasound field, it may be very difficult to find a job that is willing to cross-train you into vascular.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Gatorgirlmm in Brevard, North Carolina

50 months ago

where is the hotspot for us tech jobs? I lost my job in Dec. and have yet to find another. I live in western NC.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Rocky in Clovis, New Mexico

50 months ago

April in Farmington, New Mexico said: I went to college for 4 years in sonogram and still no job. i aplied to all my local hospitals and small dr offices.

I so need an ultrsound tech in portales nm, help!!

Thanks
Rocky Houston
Director of Radiology
Portales, NM 88130

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

radcomander1@hotmail.com in Clovis, New Mexico

50 months ago

April in Farmington, New Mexico said: I went to college for 4 years in sonogram and still no job. i aplied to all my local hospitals and small dr offices.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

radcomander1@hotmail.com in Clovis, New Mexico

50 months ago

I need a U/s tech ASAP
radcomander1@hotmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

atm64@cox.net in Barrington, Rhode Island

46 months ago

I don't know what to do...I would love to go back to school for sonography specializing in vascular and echo. Community College of Rhode Island is CAAHEP I believe. I graduated from Tulane University in 1988 having a BA that had nothing to do with Science, however I just sold a personal training / Physical Therapy gym I started ten years ago and got into the idea. I have three kids to raise and money and job opportunity is important...Does radiology make more sence? I'm fascinating with MRI and CT scans too. Rhode Island's economy is in the toilet..Is there more of a demand for radiology? Do they tend to make less money? Any help would be helpful

P.S...What's the base pay for ultrasound and radiology techs? How many years experience until the base rises?

Thanks,
Allison

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

russkayadusha in New York, New York

46 months ago

Hi everyone, I am 33 year old female with AAS, BFA and MS degrees in unrelated fields. I have be unemployed for almost 2 years now and I am considering going into vascular sonography program in NY, the program is a full-time 1 year program that costs 22.5k. It is my understanding that upon graduation I will have approximately 1200 clinical hours. I will be able to take registry exam after I complete the program. What I would like to know is the following; with no prior clinical experience except for the one I will get while in the program how difficult would it be to get a job at a hospital? Is this field saturated how realistic is it to find a full-time job at a hospital I heard many say that most places want sonographers who specialize not only in vascular but also in echo. If that's true is there a chance I will be able to get cardiac training at the hospital and then take the registry or will I be required to go back to school?
I am also considering going into either dental hygiene or becoming a dental lab technician I've heard dental hygiene is a saturated field and lab techs make very low salaries. My preferences would be as follows, sonography, lab tech, hygiene. If anyone knows anything about those fields please advice. THank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

cardinal78 in Warwick, Rhode Island

46 months ago

atm64@cox.net in Barrington, Rhode Island said: I don't know what to do...I would love to go back to school for sonography specializing in vascular and echo. Community College of Rhode Island is CAAHEP I believe. I graduated from Tulane University in 1988 having a BA that had nothing to do with Science, however I just sold a personal training / Physical Therapy gym I started ten years ago and got into the idea. I have three kids to raise and money and job opportunity is important...Does radiology make more sence? I'm fascinating with MRI and CT scans too. Rhode Island's economy is in the toilet..Is there more of a demand for radiology? Do they tend to make less money? Any help would be helpful

P.S...What's the base pay for ultrasound and radiology techs? How many years experience until the base rises?

Thanks,

Allison

Hi Allison,
Community College of Rhode Island is definitely CAAHEP. I am also thinking of applying for the program...despite the long waiting list. I have applied a couple of times (since it has become performance-based) but they were still accepting people on the waitlist. ugh. Ultrasound techs generally make more money in RI. However, if you get certified as a Rad. tech, you have more possibilities since you can then go into MRI and CT. RI Hospital has a rad tech program, in addition to the CCRI program. It is a bachelor's program but you can probably transfer most of your credits from your degree. A really good place to find out about salaries, demand, etc. is the occupational handbook (on the BLS government website). very helpful. i have to say that it is confusing though since it appears that there is going to be a lot of job growth in both fields but it doesn't seem to reflect what i have seen as far as job postings go. maybe it is really going to grow with the baby boomers retiring and the increased need there will be for techs. I hope this helps! please let me know if you find out anything! amy

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Eric Cadiente RDCS RVT in Altamonte Springs, Florida

46 months ago

russkayadusha in New York, New York said: Hi everyone, I am 33 year old female with AAS, BFA and MS degrees in unrelated fields. I have be unemployed for almost 2 years now and I am considering going into vascular sonography program in NY, the program is a full-time 1 year program that costs 22.5k. It is my understanding that upon graduation I will have approximately 1200 clinical hours. I will be able to take registry exam after I complete the program. What I would like to know is the following; with no prior clinical experience except for the one I will get while in the program how difficult would it be to get a job at a hospital? Is this field saturated how realistic is it to find a full-time job at a hospital I heard many say that most places want sonographers who specialize not only in vascular but also in echo. If that's true is there a chance I will be able to get cardiac training at the hospital and then take the registry or will I be required to go back to school?
I am also considering going into either dental hygiene or becoming a dental lab technician I've heard dental hygiene is a saturated field and lab techs make very low salaries. My preferences would be as follows, sonography, lab tech, hygiene. If anyone knows anything about those fields please advice. THank you.

Of all the ultrasound modalities vascular is probably the one with the most job openings. Many physicians are performing ultrasound-guided venous closures in their offices/clinics so the demand for well-trained vascular sonographers is better than echo and general. Get good training in how to perform comprehensive venous reflux studies during your education. If you can somehow talk to George Berdejo at Montefiore Medical Center and get his opinion you would find it helpful. I don't know him personally, but have listened to him at several conferences and have been impressed with his work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

russkayadusha in New York, New York

46 months ago

Eric Cadiente RDCS RVT in Altamonte Springs, Florida said: Of all the ultrasound modalities vascular is probably the one with the most job openings. Many physicians are performing ultrasound-guided venous closures in their offices/clinics so the demand for well-trained vascular sonographers is better than echo and general. Get good training in how to perform comprehensive venous reflux studies during your education. If you can somehow talk to George Berdejo at Montefiore Medical Center and get his opinion you would find it helpful. I don't know him personally, but have listened to him at several conferences and have been impressed with his work.

Thanks Eric. I set in one of the classes today and got to participate with some current sonography students. I have to say I had a great time, I liked the staff and the students who are at that school. It seems to be a solid program. I just have to figure out the financial part, which is always the problem :(
I am still doing some research about which career is the most marketable vascular tech, dental hygienist or dental lab tech. The lab tech salary seems super low but I like the job description. Hygiene and vascular seem to be in good salary range but I hear many Hygiene professionals have difficult time getting full-time jobs which offer benefits. Sonography seems to be the one I am leaning towards the most but I still have time to do some research :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Eric Cadiente RDCS RVT in Altamonte Springs, Florida

46 months ago

russkayadusha in New York, New York said: Thanks Eric. I set in one of the classes today and got to participate with some current sonography students. I have to say I had a great time, I liked the staff and the students who are at that school. It seems to be a solid program. I just have to figure out the financial part, which is always the problem :(
I am still doing some research about which career is the most marketable vascular tech, dental hygienist or dental lab tech. The lab tech salary seems super low but I like the job description. Hygiene and vascular seem to be in good salary range but I hear many Hygiene professionals have difficult time getting full-time jobs which offer benefits. Sonography seems to be the one I am leaning towards the most but I still have time to do some research :)

Good luck with your decision. The job market is tough out there right now in ultrasound too. Although I do see quite a few u/s jobs posted here on myindeed. Eight of the nine students that graduated from my class in May are employed in the field. Some are only per diem or part time, but most have full-time work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

atm64@cox.net in Riverside, Rhode Island

46 months ago

Thanks Amy! Very helpful...I'll keep you posted....Good luck!

Allison

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Echo in Concord, North Carolina

45 months ago

Quit now while you're ahead! At least you haven't spent a fortune and countless hours in the program studying, working in clinical for free, graduating and paying hundreds of dollars to take the registry and then find out there are wayy too many sonographers along with the gov't drastically reducing payment for it. Be a college professor! That is where the money is. Rip off, all the morons that spend tens of thousands of dollars and years for a degree that isn't worth any more than the paper it is printed on.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Gatorgirlmm in Brevard, North Carolina

45 months ago

you can say that again. I think the only places to get an ut job is out west. There is nothing in western NC where I live. I have been out of work for a year.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

lll in Genoa City, Wisconsin

38 months ago

Hello!

I am a Dental Hygienist. I have been a hygienist for 3 years now. The pay is good. but is very very difficult to find a full time job. I work only 16 hours a week havent being able to find a full time job or another part time. Only one of the girls that graduated with me has a full time job. If you want benefits , forget it!!! Hygienists most of the time dont get benefits. The ones tha do get it is because they work full time and have been a hygienist for ten years. Im very disappoited with this carreer. I was thinking in going back to school ato become a vascular sonographer..
Hygienist usually work the most 30 hours. Should I switch to V. sonography? or should I go for healthcare management

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Karry in Lenoir, North Carolina

38 months ago

lll in Genoa City, Wisconsin said: Hello!

I am a Dental Hygienist. I have been a hygienist for 3 years now. The pay is good. but is very very difficult to find a full time job. I work only 16 hours a week havent being able to find a full time job or another part time. Only one of the girls that graduated with me has a full time job. If you want benefits , forget it!!! Hygienists most of the time dont get benefits. The ones tha do get it is because they work full time and have been a hygienist for ten years. Im very disappoited with this carreer. I was thinking in going back to school ato become a vascular sonographer..
Hygienist usually work the most 30 hours. Should I switch to V. sonography? or should I go for healthcare management

Healthcare management makes much mess according to my counselors. I also wanted to be a hygienist but did the assisting first and quickly learned it was a crappy field for benefits and such. Im doing general u/s when I get in. Im on a waitlist. Then I am debating to do the vascular they also offer after. I still may do the management just to get a BA if I am waiting around to get in u/s anyways.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Not Good in Eau Claire, Wisconsin

38 months ago

Ultrasound is definitly not the field to get into. Each state has anywhere between 2-12 CAAHEP/JRC-DMS approved programs, that each are pushing out 12-24 students a year. You do the math after searching for jobs... On top of that, you have 6 year programs, like in Madison and Milwaukee, Wisconsin, that offer B.S. degrees with a 2 year inernship in Sonography. Do you ralize how proficent those students with a 2 years internship become before graduating? Those of us with AAS degrees and 7 months internships can't compete with them, even if we are multi specialized, because we aren't as proficient in a wide range of exams. You have to have all 3: CAAHEP/JRC-DMS accredited program, ARDMS cetified, and be very proficient, to land a job in ultrasound at the moment. You can't just have one of those criteria; your competition is too great around the entire country.

And we all have great referencs, so don't think to yourself that your program director or radiology department manager, will get you a job. A lot of us, including myself, are exceptional sonographers for the little bit of experience we have from our 7 months internships, but we get overlooked because we are a 'dime a dozen'.

I have applied ALL OVER the country (150 applications in 7 months), but the competition is to thick, EVERYWHERE. I have had inerviews where they told me I had great answers and would hear back from them, but when I did, it was in the form of a reject e-mail.

Unless you are planning to attend a 4 year, CAAHEP approved ultrasound program that offers a 1 year internship at the least, you are wasting your time. Just think, that 1 year internship with a B.S. degree in ultrasound, will eliminate more than 25% of you competition. Then you will have the 2 year internship students with B.S. ultrasound degrees and the experienced techs to worry about. You would have eliminated 99% of the 2 year programs, the greater majority of graduates, from your competition, "so to speak

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

USGirl in Roanoke Rapids, North Carolina

33 months ago

I am currently working in a small rural hospital, we are ACR accredited. All of our Sonographers have to be registered within 2 years of hire. We have had 2 PRN jobs open for 2 years. We also have a full-time job opening and currently have a contract tech here. We are in great need of a Ultrasound tech to work 2nd shift.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

USGirl in Roanoke Rapids, North Carolina

32 months ago

Lauren in Mandeville, Louisiana said: Lol

Yea thats usually the response we get from the applicants applying for the job once we tell them the hours and call that are required....Lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Karry in Lenoir, North Carolina

32 months ago

Heck a jobs a job. I'd take it if I was done with school. Gotta start somewhere.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Ryan in Northridge, California

32 months ago

Echo in Concord, North Carolina said: Quit now while you're ahead! At least you haven't spent a fortune and countless hours in the program studying, working in clinical for free, graduating and paying hundreds of dollars to take the registry and then find out there are wayy too many sonographers along with the gov't drastically reducing payment for it. Be a college professor! That is where the money is. Rip off, all the morons that spend tens of thousands of dollars and years for a degree that isn't worth any more than the paper it is printed on.

Amen!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

mlarry in Brooklyn, New York

32 months ago

futuredms in Orlando, Florida said: I just got accepted into a dms program and start in the fall, but I'm sooo nervous because I keep coming across forums with people stating there are no jobs in the field right now. I've wanted to do this for sooo long now, and have been doing prereq's for over 2 years to get into the program and do not want to change my career. any input would be much appreciated! thanks.

Igraduated two yeaRS AGO AND HAVE NOT FOUND A JOB. I ALSO FEEL THAT THIS FIELD IS SATURATED. PEOPLE HAVE TOLD ME TO MOVE AWAY TO FIND A JOB, BUT IT IS TOO HARD FOR ME AT THIS TIME. I AM CONSIDERING GOING TO SOMETHING ELSE AFTER HAVING A BA ON MEDICAL IMAGING.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

unknown83 in brownwood, Texas

31 months ago

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Ryan in Northridge, California

31 months ago

futuredms in Orlando, Florida said: I just got accepted into a dms program and start in the fall, but I'm sooo nervous because I keep coming across forums with people stating there are no jobs in the field right now. I've wanted to do this for sooo long now, and have been doing prereq's for over 2 years to get into the program and do not want to change my career. any input would be much appreciated! thanks.

Because there aren't any jobs. The field is over saturated just like every other field/career out there

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tina in Ventura, California

31 months ago

Ryan in Northridge, California said: Amen!

I second that Amen!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

J. Eroche RDMS, RVT in Baltimore, Maryland

30 months ago

If you are considering going into the ultrasound profession I would tell you, please do not do this, you will be sorry!! I have only 25 years experience in this field and I am registered RDMS, RVT. The quality of life in ultrasound is horrible. You are forced to work a day shift and take call at night after working a difficult work load all day. When you are called out at 2 am you will find stuff like a patient needs a gallbladder ultrasound and upon scanning the patient you find there is no gallbladder because the patient tells you it was removed 5 years ago!! The charge nurse will tell you they are sorry only for the same occurance to happen the following week. The nurse, by the way, after her shift, will go home and get none molested sleep. No one gives a rat's ass about the sonographers life or sleep, believe me. You will also be responsible for the interpretation of the exam. Why don't you young people open your eyes when you look into this prostatuted profession. You will see that sonographers are the ONLY imaging modality that is forced to write down measurements that are already seen on the images you have already taken to now have to write down on what we call a cheat sheet, which is writing down your impression of the exam. This all takes time to do in addition to performing the actual exam. If you are a male in sonography you are truely a screwed individual. Hospitals will not hire you because they do not want to use another hospital employee to chaperone you will you do these gender sensitive exams.
I have just landed a job in which I will be doing nerve conductivity exams, eye exams looking for diabetic retinopathy and simple ABI'S. Monday through friday, no call, no holidays, a real job. I hope to never hold an ultrasound probe in my hand again and could care less. This so called profession is a waist of time and if you don't believe someone with 25 yrs experience and many hours of abuse, go ahead, find out the hard way, go ahead.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

iknow in Hermitage, Pennsylvania

27 months ago

futuredms in Orlando, Florida said: I just got accepted into a dms program and start in the fall, but I'm sooo nervous because I keep coming across forums with people stating there are no jobs in the field right now. I've wanted to do this for sooo long now, and have been doing prereq's for over 2 years to get into the program and do not want to change my career. any input would be much appreciated! thanks.

I have been a tech for 20 yrs. I am registered in 4 specialties. The market is flooded. It has been for a while. Everyone I know including myself have kept the jobs we have through lay offs and 30% pay cuts. It is similar in all the states. Sorry, it looks like nursing it the way to go :(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

iknow in Hermitage, Pennsylvania

27 months ago

I have been a tech for 20 yrs, registered in 4 modalities. The market is flooded. Our hosp had lay offs and 25 to 35% pay cuts but there aren't jobs else where, not even other states.It looks like nursing is the way to go.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jameseroche in Houma, Louisiana

27 months ago

I have been in the ultrasound profession for 25 years and have never seen the profession so down trodden. If you are a male, definitely stay out of this profession, you will not get work. I have recently changed jobs and I am doing nerve conduction testing and retinal eye imaging now. I am making less than I did as a sonographer but my qaulity of life is a lot better. Best advice I can give you, stay out of ultrasound, do something for fulfilling.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jbickel in Tenafly, New Jersey

27 months ago

jameseroche in Houma, Louisiana said: I have been in the ultrasound profession for 25 years and have never seen the profession so down trodden. If you are a male, definitely stay out of this profession, you will not get work. I have recently changed jobs and I am doing nerve conduction testing and retinal eye imaging now. I am making less than I did as a sonographer but my qaulity of life is a lot better. Best advice I can give you, stay out of ultrasound, do something for fulfilling.

Jamesroche,

Why should men not go into the field? I am about to start a cardiac sonographer program and I was feeling a least a little confident about my job prospects after the program. Could you please elaborate.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

polo99a in San Jose, California

27 months ago

there are plenty of men doing cardiac scanning. more so than general ultrasound.

more women in ultrasound probably because they do a lot of pelvics and OBs. women may mind guys working on their privates, but guys dont worry so much about women scanning their ballsack

either way there are still guys working in hospitals I've been to and they are valuable. some sites guys don't do pelvics or breasts. girls outnumber guys maybe 5 to 1

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jbickel in Tenafly, New Jersey

27 months ago

polo99a in San Jose, California said: there are plenty of men doing cardiac scanning. more so than general ultrasound.

more women in ultrasound probably because they do a lot of pelvics and OBs. women may mind guys working on their privates, but guys dont worry so much about women scanning their ballsack

either way there are still guys working in hospitals I've been to and they are valuable. some sites guys don't do pelvics or breasts. girls outnumber guys maybe 5 to 1

What specialty or placement would you recommend to a male who wants to go into the field? Please, any honest answers would be helpful

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

James Eroche in Houma, Louisiana

27 months ago

You must not work in the field of diagnostic medical sonography to say gender issues would only be in a womens clinic or hospital. How many times I have been called out in the middle of the night at any hospital emergency room to perform a transvaginal study on an early pregnancy with a bleed, or how many times I've had to perform a breast ultrasound at any hospital to coorolate a find with a mamogram? When you do these exams you will need a women chaperone and hospitals do not like to tie up one of their staff for chaperone purposes. If they, the hospital hire a woman tech this is not an issue and addition staff is not required to perform this study. Bottom line guys, find something else to do, I wish I would have. I would have had a better life, believe me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

airgon74 in Brooklyn, New York

26 months ago

There are Jobs out there for general and vascular positions. Alot of techs who come out of schools want the jobs to come to them.
You have to be aggressive and go get them.
The turn around rate for jobs in genral US is high because of all the females in the field. Vascular not so much.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

lynn in Norfolk, Virginia

23 months ago

J. Eroche RDMS, RVT in Baltimore, Maryland said:
OMG, Ultraound sounds as bad as MRI. MRI is currently treated as a trauma modality, ye tnot staffed like one and we get called in ALL the time for exams that are not STATA such as diabetic toes and bicep tendon tears, or back pain for 6 months. I NEVER get out on time and forget having a lunch or break and when I work weekends, I never know when I am getting out. It can be a 9 hour day or a 17 hour day and I still have to carry the pager to get woekn up for that diabetic foot! I ahve slept in my car, on MRI strethcers (being that I get called in every 2 hours), I have missed countless holidays, missed fun activities on weekends because the torture never ends. I have went back to school for another degree but because the economy is so bad I am having a very difficult time landing a job in a different field. Please do not get into radiology. The market is conmpletely saturated and hospitals knows this so they hire minimal staff and work you to the bone and tell you you can find another job if you are not happy (because they know you are not going anywhere). This has been a very disappointing field to get into. Trust me, when you do not get a lunch or break, get stuck late EVERY night, wake up to annoying pager at 2 am, never see your family on weekends or holidays, it gets real old, real fast

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

jennaquade in Holland, Michigan

17 months ago

futuredms in Orlando, Florida said: I just got accepted into a dms program and start in the fall, but I'm sooo nervous because I keep coming across forums with people stating there are no jobs in the field right now. I've wanted to do this for sooo long now, and have been doing prereq's for over 2 years to get into the program and do not want to change my career. any input would be much appreciated! thanks.

I graduated in December of last year and still no job. I would really rethink your decision.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Roger in Oakland, California

16 months ago

Truth is, gender roles shouldnt be an issue. But there are always exceptions.

Here in the bay area, there are many male cardiac sonographers. UCSf, Children's Hosptial, CPMC are the places where they are either equally staffed or male dominant.

From what I've seen in general ultrasound, usually ob and high risk ob are female dominant (makes sense as many women feel uncomfortable with men). But I know quite a few male general ultrasound techs.

If you are a male working in these settings, then it would be good to have a female tech or someone else there with you.

In our clinic (pediatric echo)we scan teenage and young women, but any person under the age of 18, has to have a family member present.

Vascular, depending on the setting, is mixed. In smaller hospitals, vascular might be under general ultrasound. While in a bigger hospital setting, it is more specialized. Same with out patient clinics. In some cases, cardiovascular clinics, you need that vascular experience to examine carotids/dvts, but it is usually cardiac.

many people forget the vein clinics. While RVT is needed, the main focus is accessory veins that need to be closed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Soldier of war in Marion, Ohio

16 months ago

Before the military I worked in manufacturing. I have seen orse the worse. In 2009 I was rear ended on a major highway. . They said pick a career and I started nursibg couldn't fiiish dad had cancer....now that I'm back want to try diagnostic sonography. I live ineed

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Hobo2012 in California

16 months ago

There are always jobs. The problem is the odds are not good because its like 200 applications for one job so someone has to be a loser. It's like playing the lottery.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

us tech in Fair Lawn, New Jersey

16 months ago

Anthony in Peterborough, Ontario said: When I read about sonographers having trouble finding work I always wonder what efforts they are making in their job search. I would like to see a listing of exactly what people are doing to find jobs.

For example, I make a point of signing up for notifications from Indeed.com, SimplyHired.com and Google Alerts to find listings. My mail box has over 40 listings weekly. I've requested listings for 6 states, and they just keep coming in. Some are per diem and some are full-time. Some are from recruiters and some directly from employers. Most are jobs that require at least 2 years exp., but others are supervisory roles requiring many years. I've found a few that were jobs available to new graduates too.

This is evidence that there are indeed jobs out there, if you have the qualifications and are willing to dig through the resources available.
Keep digging people.
Check into my site and you'll find listings and feel free to sign up for notifications of jobs in your area. It's free.
ultrasoundtechnicianschoolshq.org/now-hiring.html

Good luck to you all. Don't give up and above all, don't give into negative people who hold you back. They're not worth your energy and effort.

I get all the email alerts and check hospital sites daily. All the jobs in this area require experience. How do you get experience??? get a job... BUT you can't get a job without experience. I have two registries so far and only have a per diem with very limited hours ie. I haven't even worked once this past month.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

us tech in Fair Lawn, New Jersey

16 months ago

us tech in Fair Lawn, New Jersey said: I get all the email alerts and check hospital sites daily. All the jobs in this area require experience. How do you get experience??? get a job... BUT you can't get a job without experience. I have two registries so far and only have a per diem with very limited hours ie. I haven't even worked once this past month.

I forgot to mention, I am also not bilingual. Apparently another obstacle to employment in North Jersey.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Roger in Oakland, California

16 months ago

When I graduated, i went to every hospital handing out my resume. I also started applying 6 months before I graduated.

People think jobs are gonna come to them, and that is not the case. People believe it is who you know, and that might be true to some extent, but nothing is guaranteed.

It is competitive, but so is every other medical field job out there.

As I mentioned, I went to many hospitals in the bay area handing out my resume, talking to managers or senior techs. If I didnt land a job where I work now, i would have done the same in southern california, then to the other places I had some connections or family.

Many places ask for people with experience. The position I go hired for wanted "2-5 yrs experience in pediatric echo". I didnt have that. I had 800 hrs in adult echo and 400hrs in pediatric echo. But I was able to convince the manager, the techs, and the cardiologists I was serious about the job and they gave me a shot. Now, I applied online, but never got a response. So showing up in person and explaining my experience was the best move I did.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Leslie in Baton Rouge, Louisiana

16 months ago

I live in Hammond louisiana and have a degree in radiology and am certified in ultrasound . I actually just got out of ultrasound school 6 months ago and can not find a job. I applied to so many hospitals and clinics , even sending my application multiple times to the same place . I tried walking in and talking to someone in person at multiple hospitals , however getting pass the receptionist is not working out . I had one interview and was told I lacked experience , I guess clinicals doesn't count , anyway I'm frustrated . Also other students from my class r in the same position. (They are from other states) The market sucks right now , and unless u have experience it's hard to get a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

james eroche in Houma, Louisiana

16 months ago

Leslie in Baton Rouge, Louisiana said: I live in Hammond louisiana and have a degree in radiology and am certified in ultrasound . I actually just got out of ultrasound school 6 months ago and can not find a job. I applied to so many hospitals and clinics , even sending my application multiple times to the same place . I tried walking in and talking to someone in person at multiple hospitals , however getting pass the receptionist is not working out . I had one interview and was told I lacked experience , I guess clinicals doesn't count , anyway I'm frustrated . Also other students from my class r in the same position. (They are from other states) The market sucks right now , and unless u have experience it's hard to get a job.

If you are a male in ultrasound it is even worse. I have 26 years experience and I can't buy a job. Good luck, you are going to need it. If I had to do it all again, I would not even consider anything in the medical field. Can you say food stamps???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Unemployed CT Tech in Moosup, Connecticut

16 months ago

us tech in Fair Lawn, New Jersey said: I get all the email alerts and check hospital sites daily. All the jobs in this area require experience. How do you get experience??? get a job... BUT you can't get a job without experience. I have two registries so far and only have a per diem with very limited hours ie. I haven't even worked once this past month.

Exactly the problem I have. I graduated May 2012 with DMS and I have my ARDMS in Abdomen and my ARRT in sonography not to mention my SPI. I have sent out hundreds of applications to hospitals all over Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Connecticut. I have only been on a hand full of interviews that all go the same way they have one question as if my resume is not clear " Do you have any experience?" no I don't ( unless you count the 24 months I spent rotating through 6 different hospitals, but that doesn't count does it). Then they always say the same thing, give us a call back when you get some experience, and they don't even bother to have me scan for them because it doesn't matter they can't leave me alone until they train me and no one wants to spend the time to do that, yet I will see the same position stay open for weeks to months when they could have trained me. Here I am a year out of school that I busted my butt to get through while supporting my family, with the promise of a better future and I have nothing to show for it but a couple of pieces of paper,and a few annual fees, This is all not to mention the 3 other women in my class of 10 that are still unemployed. I don't even know what to do now I am considering going back to school for Vascular or Echo even though my common sense is telling me this will all be for nothing again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Karry in Massachusetts

16 months ago

That stinks. 7/10 is pretty good though. Was inan accredited program? Why do you feel your not hired? If 7/10 were hired without experience it must be something.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.