What is the best school in Atlanta, Ga

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 856)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Christine Kelly in Marietta, Georgia

84 months ago

I don't think there are many choices in the Atlanta area except Sanford Brown for the ultrasound course. Does anyone know of the best school choice?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (449) / No (56) Reply - Report abuse

tamoune in Suwanee, Georgia

84 months ago

Their is a ultrasound school in Atlatnt,Ga. it's on the campus of st joseph's hospital. called institute of allied medical profession. check out their ultrasound program.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (196) / No (22) Reply - Report abuse

Sara in Duluth, Georgia

84 months ago

Theres one Community college in Coosavalley,Grady offers,and also'Institute of Medical ultrasound'.Google the addresses and contact info.Dont consider
SanfordBrown,I finished my course there.I didnt like it they only concentrate on getting there money.I doesnt have good reputation, you may not get job if you didnt get hired as an intern.Thats my experience with that school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (48) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

sharon in Kennesaw, Georgia

83 months ago

Does anyone know the range of difficulty for this course? I know it'll primarily depend on the person's intellect but I haven't been in school for 10 years and wanted to know if anyone is able to slightly measure the degree of difficulty upon entering the program?

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (152) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Rebecca in Tampa, Florida

83 months ago

sharon in Kennesaw, Georgia said: Does anyone know the range of difficulty for this course? I know it'll primarily depend on the person's intellect but I haven't been in school for 10 years and wanted to know if anyone is able to slightly measure the degree of difficulty upon entering the program?

Thanks

I attended IAMP on the St. Joseph's campus. Many of the students in my class had been out of school for 10 years. They all passed but would tell you that you won't pass without serious dedication to the program! Thanks,
Let me know if you have anymore questions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (40) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Donna in Alpharetta, Georgia

83 months ago

Rebecca in Tampa : I attended IAMP on the St. Joseph's campus. Many of the students in my class had been out of school for 10 years. They all passed but would tell you that you won't pass without serious dedication to the program!

Rebecca I was just curious about IAMP. Did you have any problems finding employment. I want to attend that school but it is very expensive and they seem to have no financial aid. Also I was concerned because they seem to not be accreditted with ARDMS. I also considered the program at Grady but not sure now with all the recent problems they are having also. Any advice you can give would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (42) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

Donna in Alpharetta, Georgia said: Rebecca in Tampa : I attended IAMP on the St. Joseph's campus. Many of the students in my class had been out of school for 10 years. They all passed but would tell you that you won't pass without serious dedication to the program!

Rebecca I was just curious about IAMP. Did you have any problems finding employment. I want to attend that school but it is very expensive and they seem to have no financial aid. Also I was concerned because they seem to not be accreditted with ARDMS. I also considered the program at Grady but not sure now with all the recent problems they are having also. Any advice you can give would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Sorry I meant to say they are not accreditted by CAAHEP ,which I have been told you need to find employment after attending ...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Rebecca in Decatur, Georgia

83 months ago

Hi Donna, I am finished with the didactic "classroom" portion at IAMP but have not begun my internship yet. Yes, IAMP is not fully accredited yet, but that has not hurt many graduates because most of them got jobs immediatly.
However, for the money and reputation I would reccomend checking out the coosa vally school in Rome GA (if you don't mind the commute). From what I understand they have an amazing reputation and tuition is considerably less. Let me know if you have any more questions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

anyone have any information on iamp in atlanta,ga. currently enrolled for next year. any information will be greatly appreciated. thanks a million

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

Thanks so much for your help Rebecca. You are readingmy mind. I am seriously thinking about ccmmuting up to Romeif gas does not go any higher. Ther are under $5000 and I am glad to hear that you think they have good reputation. I had to have an ultra sound done this week and I spoke with the technician and she had gone to SANFORD BROWN Atlanta and highly DID NOT reccommend that school.
How much math is involved in this program. I am returning to school after many years and I am somewhat concerned about my ability to keep up with the math. I know I will have to work harder than most as Math does not come easy to me.
Thank you so much for your imput.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

iamp.edu has a radiology program. Grady hospital,dekalb hospital. all located in atlanta,ga

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

I know that Dekalb Medical center offers a program. Do not know much about it though... Hope that helps

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Goodnews bonage in Atlanta, Georgia

83 months ago

I need information on the radiology school at grady and Dekalb Medical Center.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

Rebecca in Decatur, Georgia said: Hi Donna, I am finished with the didactic "classroom" portion at IAMP but have not begun my internship yet. Yes, IAMP is not fully accredited yet, but that has not hurt many graduates because most of them got jobs immediatly.
However, for the money and reputation I would reccomend checking out the coosa vally school in Rome GA (if you don't mind the commute). From what I understand they have an amazing reputation and tuition is considerably less. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Coosa valley in Rome Georgia has a waiting list until 2010 from what I've heard. I called in case anybody wants to know.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Maria

82 months ago

Hi, rebeca Can you tell if the course involve ( ultrasound) alot of math? I havent entered the course yet but have got to find out that ta total cost of a course would be $33.000 from sanford brown institue. Does all other colleges has the same cost??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Elena in Dover, New Jersey

82 months ago

no, they are cheaper.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

Rebecca in Decatur, Georgia said: Hi Donna, I am finished with the didactic "classroom" portion at IAMP but have not begun my internship yet. Yes, IAMP is not fully accredited yet, but that has not hurt many graduates because most of them got jobs immediatly.

Congrats on finishing the didactic clasroom portion Rebecca... Please keep me posted on your progress... I hope to be at your heels ... A little dismayed at the thought of having to be on a waiting list until 2010... I am calling Coosa Valley this week to check that... How did you find the math content to be thus far ... i am returning to school after many years off and I am a little concerned about the math....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Rebecca in Alpharetta, Georgia

82 months ago

Donna in Alpharetta, Georgia said: Congrats on finishing the didactic clasroom portion Rebecca... Please keep me posted on your progress... I hope to be at your heels ... A little dismayed at the thought of having to be on a waiting list until 2010... I am calling Coosa Valley this week to check that... How did you find the math content to be thus far ... i am returning to school after many years off and I am a little concerned about the math....

Hey Donna. No problem with the math if you work at it. The first thing we did was have a refresher on basic math (algebra). I have never been a big math person, so if I could do it anyone can. Just might have to get a tutor.

One problem i ran into when looking for schools is that they make you choose which kind of program you want to study. you either learn general ultrasound which is: abdomen, ob, breast, gynocology etc.

OR you can do echocardioaphy (the heart) and vascular (veins/arteries).

My school IAMP is the only school i found who teaches it all in one program. But its doesn't actually give you quite enough time to learn it all well enough. It is also very difficult to find an internship through IAMP (the problem I am currently having).

I would first look into each aspect of ultrasound to figure out what you want to do before choosing a school. There is more money to be made in the echo feild but it is much more challenging than the general track.

I know this is a lot of info. Let me know if ya have anymore questions!! Good luck!!
Rebecca

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

Thanks Rebecca,
You are a wealth of information. I am relieved about the math issue, becaue I am like you in that department. Tell me why it is so hard to get an internship ? Are you saying it is because of the school you went to or am I missing something? thaks in advance.
Donna

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

RDMS tech in Atlanta, Georgia

82 months ago

While not accredited, I have worked with students at Atlanta's Institute of Medical Ultrasound and heard that they are going through the accreditation process in 2008. I als found out that they will be the only training program in Atlanta, and possibly Georgia that offers a dedicated online training curriculum,, and is seeking full CAAHEP accreditation in general/OB, Cardia as well as vascular.

The students I have worked with had ultrasound fundamental far advanced to those of students I worked with form both Sanford Brown, and IAMP.

It may be worth you while to consider this as a viable option, as they have a very favorable reputation already.

I would agree with AVOIDING Sanford Brown, who used to be Ultrasound Diagnostic School (UDS) that had a bad reputation that has followed it to its new namesake, Sanfor Brown.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

RDMS tech in Atlanta, Georgia

82 months ago

Just so you all know, you CAN obtain your RDMS from an ultrasound school that is not accredited. There are certain requirements you need to be aware of, however. You can obtain your RDMS if you have a college degree, or have 2-years of allied health training.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

SASHA in Ellenwood, Georgia

81 months ago

Goodnews bonage in Atlanta, Georgia said: I need information on the radiology school at grady and Dekalb Medical Center.

DEKALB MEDICAL IS A GREAT SCHOOL WITH A HOSPITAL BASED PROGRAM. NO COMMUTING FOR CLINICALS-EXCEPT FOR MAYBE GOING TO THE HILLIANDALE CAMPUS. THE COST IS ABOUT $6000 FOR 2YRS INCL TUITION/BOOKS/UNIFORMS--FREE PARKING-I PERSONALLY GRADUATED FROM THIS SCHOOL ABOUT 5 YRS AGO--ON A SCALE OF 1-10 I GIVE DEKALB A 9+.
BEST WISHES

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Wasted Money in Atlanta, Georgia

81 months ago

I agree with the comments about UDS (bad reputation) BUT the IAMP school is very expensive and after attending their ultrasound program NO ONE will hire you in the Atlanta area without being registered. Unless you can sit for the registry (have a BA) you are wasting your money. Most people I know from class have only a PRN job, had to move out of state to get a job, knew someone personally that hired them or was hired at their clinical site (rare). It is worth the drive to Rome, GA for Coosa Valley's program. The IAMP school strings the students along telling them that "any day now" the CAHHEP accreditation should happen and that "they are working on it".

Rumors I hear are about a lawsuit like what happened with the old UDS (now Sanford Brown) school.

81 months ago

Whatever you do don't move to Georgia. It's like an abyss. Don't do it. Go anywhere except Georgia. Georgia has so many problems. Too many people, no jobs, no water or rather water issues. Reconsider your move it's bad here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

cece atl in atlanta, Georgia

81 months ago

Has anyone gotten a job coming from a school that is not accredited? It is so hard to get into a school in atlanta without already having a degree, so my only other option is to get degree from a non-accredited program.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

There is a new change in medicare & medicaid reimbursement payments from the government to the hospitals. I think it is effective either March 1 or April 1 2008. This means that all exams done need to be by RDMS u/s tech. This has pressured all existing techs to get registered - quickly. I know techs that have tried to fulfill this request, have been scanning for 5-7 years and some even longer. They have been terminated from their employer.

If you go to a non-accredited school. You CAN NOT sit for your registry until you have worked full-time (35 hours) for one year. With the addition of a couple more schools to the ATL area this makes it very tough to get someone to hire you and wait a year.

Basically, if you don't have a Bachelor degree - only go to an accredited school or you will end up like MANY techs in the ATL area... out of work and paying a very expensive school loan.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Wish I would have known in Lawrenceville, Georgia

81 months ago

Christine Kelly in Marietta, Georgia said: I don't think there are many choices in the Atlanta area except Sanford Brown for the ultrasound course. Does anyone know of the best school choice?

Hi. I am a 2005 graduate from Sandford Brown Institute. Trist me when i say this is a horrible school. it took me a really long time to find a job. Once the hirees found out i went to this school they denied me employment due to their horrible history. i would recommend the Institute of Medical Ultrasound in Atlanta, Ga. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Nensi in Westwego, Louisiana

81 months ago

Hi! I have been out of school for 10 years and now I am considering going back to school, I have searched up several schools you have metioned, but most of them have a bad reputation.  I have looked up info for Gwinnett Tech in Lawrenceville, Ga. for their Radiology Program, what does anyone think of them, do you think I have a chance in finding a job after completing that program. Thanks

Marsha in Atlanta, Georgia

81 months ago

Rebecca in Tampa, Florida said: I attended IAMP on the St. Joseph's campus. Many of the students in my class had been out of school for 10 years. They all passed but would tell you that you won't pass without serious dedication to the program! Thanks,
Let me know if you have anymore questions.

What did you think of the course? I have applied and I am nervous because they are not accredited and where I work I have to have my RDMS accredidation. They were suppose to get it by Dec and I can't wait much longer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

Marsha in Atlanta, Georgia said: What did you think of the course? I have applied and I am nervous because they are not accredited and where I work I have to have my RDMS accredidation. They were suppose to get it by Dec and I can't wait much longer.
Hi Marsha, I was going to attend St. Josephs campus, but I recieved direct information from and Ultrasound Tech/Sonographer From the atual hospital of St. Joseph, they are not affiliated with the atual hospital, way to expensive and it's not worth giving your money to a non accredited school they have been saying for years that they will be an accredited school, just to lure people in. I have friends that work at the St. Joseph hospital they said its not worth it. Just some advice.

81 months ago

can you please tell me what advise did they give you regarding iamp @st. joseph hospital. i was interested in getting into their ultrasound program. any information on this school will be appreciated, current student, former students. thanks in advance

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

please tell me more about iamp donna. thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

I do not attend Iamp... I am returning to school after many years and Rebecca was telling me of her experience at that school... I am trying to enroll now at Gwinnett Tech for the pre-reqisite courses for Ultra Sound with hopes of eventually tranferring to Coosa Valley in Rome... From what I have read on this link I think I personally need to make the commute to Rome and go to an accreditted school. I can not afford to get this wrong at this point in my life. Even with price of gas I will have to make that trek to Rome when the time comes if that is what it will take. I have only heard god things about Coosa Valley so far and the price is right... even with the cost of gas in my opionion... The Coosa Valley web site states tjat most students from Atlanta commute to Rome..... I am at the very begining stages tso I will update you on my progress... Donna

81 months ago

Donna in Alpharetta, Georgia said: I do not attend Iamp... I am returning to school after many years and Rebecca was telling me of her experience at that school... I am trying to enroll now at Gwinnett Tech for the pre-reqisite courses for Ultra Sound with hopes of eventually tranferring to Coosa Valley in Rome... From what I have read on this link I think I personally need to make the commute to Rome and go to an accreditted school. I can not afford to get this wrong at this point in my life. Even with price of gas I will have to make that trek to Rome when the time comes if that is what it will take. I have only heard god things about Coosa Valley so far and the price is right... even with the cost of gas in my opionion... The Coosa Valley web site states tjat most students from Atlanta commute to Rome..... I am at the very begining stages tso I will update you on my progress... Donna
Donna is the wait time to get into Coosa Valley until 2010, if you have been out that long are you still will to wait until then to get into school. Do you know anything about the wait time, are is there a wait time.

81 months ago

tamoune in Suwanee, Georgia said: can you please tell me what advise did they give you regarding iamp @st. joseph hospital. i was interested in getting into their ultrasound program. any information on this school will be appreciated, current student, former students. thanks in advance

Tamoune, I am intreseted in getting in the ultrasound program with St. Joseph, but just to let you know it has nothing to do with the atual hospital St. Joseph, it is not a accredited school, they have been saying they will be a accredited school for a long time and they still are not, watch out. I was told by an actual Ultrasound tech from the hospital, that it would not be a good idea to go there. Go to this website it may help, caahep.org

Try -- Institute of Medical Ultrasound in Altanta Ga.
Deklab Medical

mamwave in atlanta, Georgia

81 months ago

I am interested in purchasing an Ultrasound Book Diagnostic U/S 6th Edition by Hagen-Ansert If anyone out there knows how I cam get this book please let me know! Thank You

81 months ago

Coosa Valley has a waiting list make sure you check that out. I believe it's about 2 years for entrance into the program. I also heard that this field is over crowded so be sure to do your homework. Good luck
It may be difficult getting a job after graduation. Try to consider other states if you're really interested in that field after graduation for employment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Zoe

81 months ago

I AM INTERESTED IN BECOMING A RADIOLOGY TECHNICIAN.I HAVE GOOGLED AND SEARCHED THE INTERNET AND ALL I GET ARE SCHOOLS THAT DO NOT OFFER THIS PROGRAM. I JUST WANT TO FIND OUT WHICH SCHOOL WOULD BE THE BEST FOR ME TO ATTEND. HELP!

81 months ago

Try The program at Dekalb Medical... I hear it is good

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

Zoe said: I AM INTERESTED IN BECOMING A RADIOLOGY TECHNICIAN.I HAVE GOOGLED AND SEARCHED THE INTERNET AND ALL I GET ARE SCHOOLS THAT DO NOT OFFER THIS PROGRAM. I JUST WANT TO FIND OUT WHICH SCHOOL WOULD BE THE BEST FOR ME TO ATTEND. HELP!

They have a radiology tech Program at Gwinnett Tech. I thought about getting into that program as well, I have heard good reports about Gwinnett Tech. Good Luck!

81 months ago

Gwinnett Tech is absolutely the best. The have a wonderful teaching staff as well as a great director. The price is also great. The program is very well organized. You only have to take exactly what's necessary. Some of these other schools want you to take all kinds of junk.

GOOD LUCK

SASHA in Ellenwood, Georgia

81 months ago

mamwave in atlanta, Georgia said: I am interested in purchasing an Ultrasound Book Diagnostic U/S 6th Edition by Hagen-Ansert If anyone out there knows how I cam get this book please let me know! Thank You

AMAZON.COM

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Tracy J in Suwanee, Georgia

81 months ago

How hard is it to find a job in ATL as a ultrasound tech? I am thinking about switching careers and I am very interested in this field. How do you find the internship? does the school help? What does a tech right out of the program start at?
Thanks for all the great insight!

81 months ago

It is very difficult to find a job in Atlanta. If you are lucky to get a job as a new grad right out of school this area pays from $20 to $26 (but the higher end is for per diem work). There are too many schools here. With many techs graduating the jobs are demanding registered techs only. I would not go to IAMP due to no accreditation and I also heard it takes some schools 5 years to get it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

why would not recommend IAMP? did u or someone you know had a bad experience with IAMP? or is it because of the accreditation? please let me know any infor on IAMP a friend of mine told me her friend graduated from that school and is currently working in the field. she's getting paid $24 hour. thanks in advance

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

why would not recommend IAMP? If you have a bachelor of any kind it may work out for you (or 2 year allied health program)

did u or someone you know had a bad experience with IAMP? or is it because of the accreditation? YES to both

Has your friend sat for registry yet? Hope she does first time if she doesn't and loses her job because of it - it will be hard to find another one in atlanta.

Good luck to her and to you with your decision.

RDMS in Atlanta in Atlanta, Georgia

81 months ago

That is NOT correct. The problem wtih blogs is that noone knows the quality of the information. Is it hearsay, rumor, or fact?

I am in healthcare and work in sonography. The information you provided is not accurate as it relates to Medicaid reimbursements.

Factually speaking ANYONE with a college degree, or 2-years allied health traing CAN sit for the registry exam whether you attend an accredited program, or not.

The issue is, if you don't have a degree, or 2-years allied health trainging and attend an ultrasound school tht is not accredited, then you can not sit immediately for your registry exam.

Regards

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Hosp RDMS in Atlanta, Georgia

81 months ago

You should also look into the program at Grady, as well as Institute of Medical ultrasound (IMU). I work at Dekalb Medical Center and have been impressed wtih the training of the IMU students that have rotated here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ayana in Stone Mountain, Georgia

81 months ago

Hi sasha I like your comment about dekalb medical whcih I am interested to follow-up can you give me more information how I can get intouch with the person in charge for the program their phone or web sit please

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

try iamp.edu they have a ultrasound program also in atlanta,georgia

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.