How long does it take to finish Ultrasound tech school? How do I get started?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 388)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

katie in Salt Lake City, Utah

84 months ago

I have been looking into going to school to be a Ultrasound tech and I was wondering how long does it take from start to finish, and does anyone know of any schools in Utah that would be good?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1161) / No (184) Reply - Report abuse

Elena in Dover, New Jersey

84 months ago

Any associate degree needs at least 18 months -2 years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (178) / No (51) Reply - Report abuse

philly girl in philadelphia, Pennsylvania

84 months ago

Elena in Dover, New Jersey said: Any associate degree needs at least 18 months -2 years.

Do you know of any in the Philadelphia area?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (98) / No (45) Reply - Report abuse

Elena in Dover, New Jersey

84 months ago

I have seen at least 2 accredited programms in Philadelphia and some more in Pa.You can go caahep site and check them..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (38) / No (31) Reply - Report abuse

Brooke in Indianapolis, Indiana

84 months ago

Hi, I am doing a speech for my sophomore class about wanting to be an Ultrasound Technician.

If any ultrasound techs can get in touch with me via email and give me some information about your job can you please email me at brooklyn91@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (84) / No (36) Reply - Report abuse

tamara in Phoenix, Arizona

84 months ago

i am doing a report for my college English class and would like information also. any ultrasound techs or sonogram techs please contact me with website i can go to or information that i can find, would be much appreciated.
SURFERGIRL1256@hotmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (31) Reply - Report abuse

Roz in Chicago, Illinois

81 months ago

I am intrested in becoming a ultrsound Tech. Are there any schools in chicago.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (448) / No (64) Reply - Report abuse

Woo

81 months ago

Interested in ultrasound tech any good schools in chicago or online programs already have some experience in doing ultrasound as well

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (88) / No (22) Reply - Report abuse

Professor X in Santiago, Dominican Republic

81 months ago

Enrique Ortiz in Chicago, Illinois said: Hi, My name is Enrique Ortiz and I finished my Medical Ultrasonography Course at PCCTI at Oak Brook Illinois. I am looking for a place to do my clinical practice. I have contacted several places for about 2 weeks here in Chicago without an answer. Any help or information about this matter will be more than appreciated. Thanks in advance for your information.

Hello Enrique! If you are looking for advanced training in abdominal and peripheral vascular ultrasound, please keep me in mind. I can help you become prepared for the competitive world of ultrasound. The training I offer is directly with patients and can be in groups or in private- you choose what method of learning you'd like. If you have little time, I can give you crash courses in abdomen and peripheral vascular ultrasound. For more details, please reach me at charles.segovia@gmail.com.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (31) Reply - Report abuse

Sara D in Waterford, Michigan

80 months ago

Hi, My name is sara and i live im michigan, i am currently in 11th grade and i am seriously conmsidering being an ultrasound tech. how many years is school do i need to take and how do you like you job? how are your hours?

-Thank you =]

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (252) / No (50) Reply - Report abuse

lostnconfused in Columbus, Mississippi

80 months ago

Liz in Smyrna, Tennessee said: Hi, I've been a LPN for 14+ years and am very interested in becoming an ultrasound tech or CT tech. Does anyone have any advice/suggestions about the transition process? Do you know of any schools in or near Nashville, TN? Any advice is most welcome.

Thanks,
Liz

Liz, check this site. www. caahep.org for schools in your area. I think there's a school in Nashville, Gallatin, a couple in Memphis, and so on.
There's a school here in MS a few hours away from Nashville also.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

Well this site appears to be down right now.
But I know Vol State CC has one,one in Nashville, Vanderbilt has one but who knows what all you have to do to get in there program.
Methodist hospital in Memphis has a program, deadline March 15th.
Baptist in Memphis has one, baccaulaurate program though.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Liz in Smyrna, Tennessee

80 months ago

Thanks for all your help. I will check into
those programs. Yes, I already looked into
Vanderbilt and the admission process is very
long and difficult.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

don't forget. www.caahep.org

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Ashley in Mobile, Alabama

80 months ago

I have a BS in marine biology and have thus far been unable to find a job in that field. I'm sick of retail and am looking to get into the healthcare industry and ultrasound tech caught my attention. Where the heck do I start?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (40) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

Ashley since you're in Mobile, you should really check out IUD there. I think their deadline is sometime this summer.
It's an accredited program. There's two more programs in AL, and there's a school (not CAAHEP accredited but is through some other organization) in Pensacola. It's more expensive, however.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Kate in Cable, Wisconsin

80 months ago

Hi, I would like to become an ultrasound technician but only college near by has a non- accredeted program (because it is so new). What are the minuses and dangers to watch out (not attending in an accredeted program)?
Also I would be interested to talk with an ultrasound tech who could talk about her/his job. My email is kadi198@hotmail.com
I would be very thankful for your answer!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

PCCTI

80 months ago

KariAnn in Chicago, Illinois said: My husband was looking into PCCTI. The did not have prerequisites and now you have to have a bachelor's degree. My husband is looking for somewhere else to go that does not have prerequisites. Do you know of anywhere? Also, please let me know what you learn about your field in your search for a job. What do they really look for? What schools do they trust hiring from? Thank you so much!

PCCTI has now changed their pre-requisites according to requirements that have been altered by the credentialing bodies. You can now qualify for the program without a Bachelors degree (or an Associates).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

grnilady in Franklin, New Jersey

79 months ago

I am an adult who would like to become an ultrasonographer. With many years of experience in the work force (and no time to waste) I am looking for an associate degree program (or certificate program) that has no previous medical experience, prior medical tech degree, or bachelors prerequisites! I am willing to re-take any required prerequsite courses such as anatomy and physiology, physics, etc. to enter the program but don't want to first get a degree as a radiologist. Is there any school anywhere in the United States that offers an accredited program that would accept me?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (102) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

samia in Dearborn, Michigan

79 months ago

hi my name is sam and i am interested to study ultrasound tech, however i did some research to try to find colleges that offer the program and i only ran across OCC but its a 3 yr waiting list, im 25 i need something asap!! anybody in michigan know of any other colleges that offer it. my friend told me she went to chicago for it and it was a 9 month program and cost 7000 dollars which isnt bad but i dont want to move..HELP

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

Check www.caahep.org for programs

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ANDREA in Tucson, Arizona

79 months ago

Hello I want to become an Ultrasound Tech. I dont know of any schools here in Arizona. Do You know of any in the State of Arizona????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (59) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Macon IMU applicant in Atlanta, Georgia

79 months ago

samia in Dearborn, Michigan said: hi my name is sam and i am interested to study ultrasound tech, however i did some research to try to find colleges that offer the program and i only ran across OCC but its a 3 yr waiting list, im 25 i need something asap!! anybody in michigan know of any other colleges that offer it. my friend told me she went to chicago for it and it was a 9 month program and cost 7000 dollars which isnt bad but i dont want to move..HELP

If you have a college degree, or 2-years allied health background check for any of the schools at the website lost referred you to. Also look at online programs. My choice was Institute of Medical Ultrasound in Atlanta. I will take their classes online in the evenning, and my clinical rotations will be here in Macon.

See what is local, if not look at whether IMU works for you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

SAMIA

79 months ago

Macon . i dont have a degree in anything, but i want to go to school for ultrasound tch, i checked the sources that lost sent to me, it was very helpful, there is waiting list to get into the program and thats what is killing me, but however they offer the program at hospitals and they interview in april and the program starts in sept, but i think there is a catch to whereu have to sign a contract wit them where u got to work for them for free for a yr or 2 while u r in the process of getting ur certifacate which i think is totally fair, its just the waiting list that is killing me, i dont want to be on a 2 and 3 yr list..but thanks for ur help

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

lostnconfused in Mississippi

79 months ago

Samia:
Have you looked into Jackson CC? They have a program at the school as well as an online program that is accredited. With their online program, you won't have to move if you're accepted.
You may have to get your pre-reqs out of the way first.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

ScanMan in Atlanta, Georgia

79 months ago

SAMIA said: Macon . i dont have a degree in anything, but i want to go to school for ultrasound tch, i checked the sources that lost sent to me, it was very helpful, there is waiting list to get into the program and thats what is killing me, but however they offer the program at hospitals and they interview in april and the program starts in sept, but i think there is a catch to whereu have to sign a contract wit them where u got to work for them for free for a yr or 2 while u r in the process of getting ur certifacate which i think is totally fair, its just the waiting list that is killing me, i dont want to be on a 2 and 3 yr list..but thanks for ur help

IMU would not be an option unless you have your college degree, or 2-years Allied health training.

I would follow-up on the lead Lost referred you to.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Sara in Mokena, Illinois

79 months ago

PCCTI said: PCCTI has now changed their pre-requisites according to requirements that have been altered by the credentialing bodies. You can now qualify for the program without a Bachelors degree (or an Associates).

I was signed up with PCCTI only to find out they are not an accredited school. Meaning they are not ARDMS certified, most hospitals want ARDMS certified people. I had word with them and they finally fessed up and said they in fact were not certified. I have done extensive research on this school, if you want to call them that, and the only school were I live that an ARDMS certified program is Triton in River Grove, IL. They are said to be one of the best. But, another bad thing I heard about PCCTI is that hospitals will not just let you do your clinicals because they are affiliated with other reputable schools who already have these hospitals as there clinical sites. So, for those who go through a place like PCCTI they are basically screwed out of a lot of money. You are better off going through a regular school and not a quicky course.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sara in Mokena, Illinois

79 months ago

KariAnn in Chicago, Illinois said: My husband was looking into PCCTI. The did not have prerequisites and now you have to have a bachelor's degree. My husband is looking for somewhere else to go that does not have prerequisites. Do you know of anywhere? Also, please let me know what you learn about your field in your search for a job. What do they really look for? What schools do they trust hiring from? Thank you so much!

Stay away from PCCTI....They are not accredited by ARDMS. Any good program will definitely have prereq's. Triton College in River Grove, IL is one of the best two-year programs out there, but is very competitive. I am awaiting a response to see if I get in for the August start. Just remember, you get what you pay for. Triton College is very reputable as well in terms of getting a good job once graduated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Angel in Phoenix, Arizona

78 months ago

I am going to school to become an RRT but since they might be getting rid of us in AZ, I would like to get into Ultrasound. Does anyone know of any schools here in AZ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

nita in Plymouth, Indiana

78 months ago

I am looking for a school so I can get my ultrasound tech certificate/associates degree in my area south bend, michigan city, valpo or merriville indiana. Please help me!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

nafiza in Minneapolis, Minnesota

78 months ago

Hi Angel...

visit gateway community college = www.gatewaycc.edu

and you can find ultrasound.

Amy in Arlington Heights, Illinois

78 months ago

Sara in Mokena, Illinois said: Stay away from PCCTI....They are not accredited by ARDMS. Any good program will definitely have prereq's. Triton College in River Grove, IL is one of the best two-year programs out there, but is very competitive. I am awaiting a response to see if I get in for the August start. Just remember, you get what you pay for. Triton College is very reputable as well in terms of getting a good job once graduated.

Hi,
Have you heard anything about their LPN program? Good or bad?

Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

jessica in Tucson, Arizona

77 months ago

if anyone has taken classes in tucson, az to become an ultrasound technician can u please tell me how long it takes to become one!!! and if i were to go to pima or apollo college and is it worth it?Where did u go?

Michelle in Rancho Santa Margarita, California

77 months ago

Hi, I am a 40 year old full-time mom who needs to go back to work. I have a bachelor degree from BYU. I am very interested in becoming an ultrasound technician. Since I already have my bachelors, where would be the best place to start?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Marysol in Riverside, California

77 months ago

What major do i go in if i want to become an ultrasound technician?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Scott in Pompano Beach, Florida

77 months ago

Hello, I have a associates if science in Computer networking and I'm interested in becoming a ultrasound tech. I also have about 15 credits from my local community college, I want to find a good training program here in South Florida and I'd like to know if any of you guys can assist me.

lisa in Springfield, New Jersey

77 months ago

Hey I am in NJ as well. I've been looking into Healthcare Training Institute in Union. I don't know where you are located, but I know Muhlenberg Regional Medical Center in Pleainfield offers the program as well. They are having an open house on April 30th from 2-7 pm. You might want to check it out

HI ERICA, MY NAME IS LISA AND I AM AN ULTRASOUND TECHNICIAN. I GRADUATED FROM HEALTHCARE TRAINING INSTITUTE IN UNION AND WONT RECOMMEND IT TO ANYONE. IT WAS A HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE. FIRST THEY TELL YOU THAT YOU ARE ELIGIBLE TO SIT FOR YOUR ARMDS ONCE YOU COMPLETE THE PROGRAM AND IT WAS A LIE. THEY THEN ALSO SAID THAT THEY WERE CAAHEP ACCREDITED, WHICH WAS ANOTHER LIE. THEY ALSO REQUIRE STUDENTS TO COMPLETE A 7 MINUTE SCANNING TEST WHICH IS CRAZY.. I GRADUATED IN JANUARY OF 07 AND MY CLASSMATES R STILL IN SCHOOL TRYING TO FINISH THIS 7 MINUTE TEST. ALSO IT IS VERY HARD TO FIND A JOB. IF YOU DO DECIDE ON GOING FOR ULTRASOUND I WOULD RECOMMEND MUHLENBERG OR SANFORD BROWN.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Laura - Chicago, IL

77 months ago

Sara in Mokena, Illinois said: I was signed up with PCCTI only to find out they are not an accredited school. Meaning they are not ARDMS certified, most hospitals want ARDMS certified people. I had word with them and they finally fessed up and said they in fact were not certified. I have done extensive research on this school, if you want to call them that, and the only school were I live that an ARDMS certified program is Triton in River Grove, IL. They are said to be one of the best. But, another bad thing I heard about PCCTI is that hospitals will not just let you do your clinicals because they are affiliated with other reputable schools who already have these hospitals as there clinical sites. So, for those who go through a place like PCCTI they are basically screwed out of a lot of money. You are better off going through a regular school and not a quicky course.

Hi, I wanted to know if you could share w/ me a little more on your experience with PCCTI. I was considering it alot but when I read your comment, well I thought twice about it. I heard of Triton and am looking into that as well, I just thought PCCTI was a bit more helpful (in regards to that prerequisites and all). But if you could basically help me out, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks. Are you currently working as an Ultrasound Tech?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

question about your post

77 months ago

grnilady in Franklin, New Jersey said: I am an adult who would like to become an ultrasonographer. With many years of experience in the work force (and no time to waste) I am looking for an associate degree program (or certificate program) that has no previous medical experience, prior medical tech degree, or bachelors prerequisites! I am willing to re-take any required prerequsite courses such as anatomy and physiology, physics, etc. to enter the program but don't want to first get a degree as a radiologist. Is there any school anywhere in the United States that offers an accredited program that would accept me?

Hi, I was looking at info on ultrasound as I am an adult too (in my 40's) seeking a new career and wondered if you found a school, if you are finished, working and how long it takes/took. Your response would be very much appreciated. Thanks, Julie Please email me at JulietSanders@aol.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Ang in Sacramento, California

77 months ago

I am looking for a change in career to the ultrasound field too and I was wondering if you have to have a medical background to succeed in this field? I am looking at 2 scools the first says I have to get my medical assisting (allied health) done perfore I can get into the ultrasound program. The other school says that as long as I take the pre-reqs (anatamy, physics etc.) I am fine and don't need a specific medical background. I want to make an informed decision. Any ultrasound techs out there that can give me advice?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

samia fromichiagn in Inkster, Michigan

76 months ago

Macon IMU applicant in Atlanta, Georgia said: If you have a college degree, or 2-years allied health background check for any of the schools at the website lost referred you to. Also look at online programs. My choice was Initute of Medical Ultrasound in Atlanta. I will take their classes online in the evenning, and my clinical rotations will be here in Macon.

See what is local, if not look at whether IMU works for you.

Macon... if i go ahead an do the IMU in atlanta online..than would i be able to do my clinicals or rotations in memphis TN??

Jessica in Chicago, Illinois

76 months ago

Does anyone know any hospitals or small clinics near schaumburg area that will let me do my paid/unpaid clinicals for Diagnostic Medical Sonography. I went to pccti in Oak Brook IL. Please let me know. salonis84@yahoo.com thx in advance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

new u/s student in Mokena, Illinois

76 months ago

Sara in Mokena, Illinois said: Stay away from PCCTI....They are not accredited by ARDMS. Any good program will definitely have prereq's. Triton College in River Grove, IL is one of the best two-year programs out there, but is very competitive. I am awaiting a response to see if I get in for the August start. Just remember, you get what you pay for. Triton College is very reputable as well in terms of getting a good job once graduated.

Hello Sara! Did you get accepted into the program at Triton for the fall? I will be a part of that program, I received my acceptance letter roughly 2 weeks ago.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Dayna Lee in Nashville, Tennessee

76 months ago

I am going nuts trying to find a school in Nashville or any surrounding areas for obstetric and gynecologic sonography schools. Everywhere I search, nothing shows up! Please help!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

samia fromichiagn

76 months ago

hi ok im back now i am trying to find a school for CT Tech or MRI tech or ultrasound tech or even X ray tech in memphis tennesse..can anyone help me with that please..even if it was oline it would be helpful?? and remember i dont have a degree in anything but i did take a few classes at a community college!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

rtr in Dumont, New Jersey

76 months ago

samia fromichiagn said: hi ok im back now i am trying to find a school for CT Tech or MRI tech or ultrasound tech or even X ray tech in memphis tennesse..can anyone help me with that please..even if it was oline it would be helpful?? and remember i dont have a degree in anything but i did take a few classes at a community college!

Baptist Memorial College of Health Science - Memphis, TN
Diagnostic Medical Sonographer Program
1003 Monroe Avenue
Memphis , TN - 38104
Degrees: Baccalaureate
Concentrations: General, Vascular
Program Director: Mitzi Roberts MS, RT(R), RDMS
Email: mitzi.roberts@bchs.edu
Phone: (901) 572-2653

Methodist Le Bonheur Healthcare - Memphis, TN
Department of Radiology
1265 Union Avenue
Memphis , TN - 38104
Degrees: Certificate
Concentrations: General
Program Director: Tamera Ghelichkhani RDMS, RT(R)(M)
Email: GhelichT@methodisthealth.org
Phone: (901) 516-8099

Chattanooga State Technical Community College - Chattanooga, TN
4501 Amnicola HIghway
HPF-177
Chattanooga , TN - 37406
Program Director: Jody Hancock MAEd, BS, RDMS, RVT, RT(R)
Email: jody.hancok@chattanoogastate.edu
Phone: (423) 697-3341

Vanderbilt University Medical Center - Nashville, TN
1161 21st Avenue S
MCN-CCC1121
Nashville , TN - 37232
Program Director: Jill Herzog BS, RT(R), RDMS, RVT
Email: jill.herzog@vanderbilt.edu
Phone: (615) 343-0905

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

Continued

Volunteer State Community College - Gallatin, TN
1480 Nashville Pike
Gallatin , TN - 37066-3188
Program Director: Monica Pipkins RDMS,
Program Director: Monica Pipkins RDMS, RVT
Email: monica.pipkins@volstate.edu
Phone: (615) 230-3339

FYI, there are all CAAHEP accredited programs. There are two programs within your city. anyone else having a hard time looking for a school go to
www.caahep.org

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

Dayna Lee in Nashville, Tennessee said: I am going nuts trying to find a school in Nashville or any surrounding areas for obstetric and gynecologic sonography schools. Everywhere I search, nothing shows up! Please help!!!

Vanderbilt University Medical Center - Nashville, TN
1161 21st Avenue S
MCN-CCC1121
Nashville , TN - 37232
Program Director: Jill Herzog BS, RT(R), RDMS, RVT
Email: jill.herzog@vanderbilt.edu
Phone: (615) 343-0905

go to www.caahep.org if you want to find anymore schools near you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

beanclem in Charleston, South Carolina

76 months ago

Hello - I am looking for a career change and I am interested in being an ultrasound tech - I am unable to find any associate's programs in / near Charleston, SC or even a reputable online training program for that matter. Our local technical school offers a rad tech program but it doesn't lead up to the ADRMS certification. Can anyone offer any advice? Thanks so much!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (39) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

RACHELLE in Newburgh, New York

76 months ago

I am very interested in becoming an ultrasound tech but there are no schools in my area that offer the program. The community college I'm looking at only offers an associates degree in radiology. Would taking up this major be a waste of time? I know I would need further training in the specifuc field of ultrasound technology but I don't want to "go to school twice" so to speak. Any suggestions?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.