sonography at 37+

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 57)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

interested but worried in Cumming, Georgia

44 months ago

With a Bachelor in Education and Literature, I still wish for a career as a Sonographer. But worry about being able to get through the pre-req.s and the course. If I was younger, I wouldn't have worried much. But I am not able to decide if I should take the plunge at my age.

How much time would it take for me to get through the whole process?
What options do I have if I don't get accepted into the program after completing the pre-requisites. Would that be a waste of another year???

Please advise, I am so torn and need to decide.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Unemployed RDMS in Zanesville, Ohio

44 months ago

You want a career in sonography? Good luck at that! It's almost impossible to find a part-time job as a new grad; you can forget about finding a full-time one.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

luvtoscan in Geneva, Illinois

44 months ago

I am afraid I have to concur with Unemployed RDMS in Zanesville. Sadly, it is very hard to get a job. I mean, you never know, you could get lucky...But that would be just about it LUCK. I don't know if you want to pin your hopes on that. I would go into a career with a much higher demand. Unfortunately, I graduated earlier this year, got registered in 2 specialties right away and a 3rd (vascular) recently. I can not even get an interview, much less a job offer. I had good grades in school, I'm young and fairly attractive. My clinical sites really liked me but neither has the budget to train a new graduate. It has been really hard. I am married and I have two daughters. The stress of school and now my inability to get a job have strained my marriage to the breaking point. I have lost my self esteem and keep mulling over why things haven't worked out for me. I guess if it's your dream you could give it a shot, but if I knew then what I know now, I NEVER would have done this. I love scanning and miss it so much but so far it hasn't been worth it. :(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Pamp81 in Saint Louis, Missouri

43 months ago

Wow, I am so discouraged by this thread, because I am seriously considering beginning a program in sonography. The people that are having so much trouble finding jobs--are you in large metropolitan areas? I am in St. Louis---does the outlook seem good here?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Another Unemployed RDMS :( in Rego Park, New York

43 months ago

I started ultrasound school at 36. The problem are not the pre-reqs. The problem is finding a job. Nobody wants to hire without experience. If you can't find someone to hire you there is no experience, and round and round and round we go, chasing our tails. Mindless but this is the sad reality of this field at present time. You have to decide for yourself.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

interested but worried in Cumming, Georgia

43 months ago

Did you go to an accredited school? I heard getting a job is difficult with out doing a course from such a school.

43 months ago

Thanks so much for the reply.
I am in the St. Louis area. We have many medical facilities here, but I am concerned, because I have a family and will not be able to leave this area to look for work as a sonographer. I hope St. Louis is not saturated already. I plan to specialize in vascular.
Pam

M.Cowan,BHSc,RT,RDMS,RVT,RDCS in Houston, Texas said: In Houston we are seeing plenty of jobs and good placement. True the economy has slowed the hiring practices but this is a systemic function of the economic town turn and does not change the fact that the outlook for sonographers is better than average and will continue to be. Additionally many parts of the country are experiencing regional market saturations, this is common. Too many techs not enough jobs in a particular area. Just venture outside these saturated markets and search out in demand markets. They are out there. If you want to be a sonographer, you just have to put your best foot forward and go for it....do not listen to negative posters tell you why you are making a mistake.

M.Cowan
Harris County Hospital District
School of Sonography
Houston TX

43 months ago

The program I am looking at is accredited and has 3 specialty options. I am choosing vascular. It is a good program with a minimum one year waiting list. I hope it pays off, because I am changing fields for better job security and because I have always wanted to do this or something similar to this.
Pam

Another Unemployed RDMS :( in Rego Park, New York said: I started ultrasound school at 36. The problem are not the pre-reqs. The problem is finding a job. Nobody wants to hire without experience. If you can't find someone to hire you there is no experience, and round and round and round we go, chasing our tails. Mindless but this is the sad reality of this field at present time. You have to decide for yourself.

Jess in Mandeville, Louisiana

43 months ago

I'm wondering the same thing about the accredited schools. Did any of you that are having a hard time finding jobs go to schools accredited by the CAAHEP?

I'm 28 and will finish my prerequisites at the end of 2011 and hopefully will start May 2012 in an ultrasound program. I have a 7 year old and am married and have been wanting to be a sonographer for a very long time but unfortunately always had to work and didn't have time for school. I have MADE time for it now and am determined to have a career for myself. You're never too old to do something that you're passionate about. By the time we're out of school in 2+ years, I'm really thinking that everything will pick up anyways by then. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Another Unemployed RDMS :( in Rego Park, New York

43 months ago

Honestly, I never too interviewers pay attention to the school I went to. Or if they did, it was to note that they went to the same place. I am told they have received over 100 resumes and out of those they are seeing 10 people. Makes me feel better that I am one of the ten, but in the end they go with the more experienced. I will have 1 year experience in January of next year. I have a Tuesday and every other Friday schedule, which is nothing. Even unemployment at this point would pay more.

lucky to have a job in Grand Junction, Colorado

43 months ago

If you notice, the only people who say they that there is actually work for new grads have a vested interest in saying so - they're sonography instructors or trying to lure people to a program. If you talk to people who actually work in the field, or want to, then you see what the employment picture is really like - abysmal!

There is practically no demand anywhere in the United States for ultrasound techs, graduates of accredited programs or not! I was LUCKY to find a full-time job 1800 miles away from home. Over half of my classmates, all of whom are willing to move out of state, haven't even been able to get PRN work.

Oh sure, the BLS guide from the Dept of Labor say that the field is going to be great - but PLEASE keep in mind that this was written before the economy crashed! Anyone who tells you that there is a demand for ultrasound techs is lying to you, plain and simple!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

luvtoscan in Geneva, Illinois

43 months ago

The school I went to is accredited and well-respected. I live in an area with lots of hospitals. LOTS! Still no job.

Bazilia in Chantilly, Virginia

43 months ago

Hi all, i am looking for a qualified OB RDMS tech to work PRN and perform mainly the level 2 20 week diagnostic ultrasounds. Whats a good pay per scan??? Thanks a million. How about the NT scans?

Renee in STL in Valley Park, Missouri

42 months ago

luvtoscan in Geneva, Illinois said: I am afraid I have to concur with Unemployed RDMS in Zanesville. Sadly, it is very hard to get a job. I mean, you never know, you could get lucky...But that would be just about it LUCK. I don't know if you want to pin your hopes on that. I would go into a career with a much higher demand. Unfortunately, I graduated earlier this year, got registered in 2 specialties right away and a 3rd (vascular) recently. I can not even get an interview, much less a job offer. I had good grades in school, I'm young and fairly attractive. My clinical sites really liked me but neither has the budget to train a new graduate. It has been really hard. I am married and I have two daughters. The stress of school and now my inability to get a job have strained my marriage to the breaking point. I have lost my self esteem and keep mulling over why things haven't worked out for me. I guess if it's your dream you could give it a shot, but if I knew then what I know now, I NEVER would have done this. I love scanning and miss it so much but so far it hasn't been worth it. :(

I am a Sonographer and have been one for over 16 years. Your problem with finding a job is lack of experience. There are plenty of jobs in Sonography out there, most places want and need someone that has scanned for awhile. Being RDMS is important, but if a facility has to choose between RDMS with no experience and registry eligible with 1-2 years experience, they will take no registry with experience and give them a year to become RDMS. I know it is hard to get the experience needed if you can't find a job, but you can beef up your resume by volunteer work. Stay in the ultrasound environment as much as possible even if you're just helping set up for biopsies, or back scanning while the staff Sonographer does paper work and turns in their exams. This also helps build rapport with Radiologists who are always informed about open positions. The sky is the limit!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

pammynelle in Magnolia, Texas

40 months ago

Matt I always see your post about good market etc. here. Being your job is getting students to enroll in your college is really not fair for you to say this. All the schools will tell you what you want to hear, so you will join their school. They aren't honest with you up front and that is what makes me angry! People sacrifice 2 years of there lives to go to ultrasound school which is very stressful. It requires alot of your time away from your family for the extensive amount of studying,clinicals and class time. However the truth is even here in Houston its very hard to get a job as an utrasound tech unless your lucky enough that your clinical site is hiring upon completion. Yes the jobs are out there,but as a new grad its very difficult to land one if you have no experience. I have put probably 30 applications and I am registered. I have gotten only interviews at only 2 hospitals and both have told me they need someone with experience. I even had 3 interviews at one hospital and the hiring manager and all the techs wanted me, but when she presented it to the director the director shot it down because I have no work experience. If I had known then what I know now I would not have done it either. This was my biggest concern upon going to ultrasound school and now I see I was right!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

sono4u in Saint Louis, Missouri

37 months ago

I'm sorry you're having such a difficult time finding a job as a sonographer. I am a sonographer, with over 16 years experience, and there are many jobs out there. Sometimes when there are multiple ultrasound schools in an area, that area becomes over populated with sonographers...but this is true with any and all professions. Though I live in St. Louis, I actually went to school in Texas, because at that time, there was really only one school in my area. That is no longer the case, but there are still jobs available in my area.

Experience is truly a plus, but due to the changes with insurance, a registered sonograher is a must. There are hospitals who are letting unregistered sonographers go, so if you are registered, you're needed. I don't know what your resume looks like or how your interviewing skills are, but they make ALL the difference. Currently, I have been helping sonographers who are NOT registered, go against the odds and get hired....and it starts with the resume and how they carry themselves. Attitude and appearance carries a lot of weight in this profession!

If you want experience you can get it! You just have to be willing to do what it takes, even if that means relocating or driving an hour or so to get it. I don't know where you have been looking but sonographers have a lot more options than just hospitals. You can volunteer your time here and there to get experience just by shadowing other sonographers. There is sooooooo much you can do, you just need to learn how to open the doors! You can send me an email at sono4u2@gmail.com and I can send you some ideas.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

L.A.Bray in Columbus, Ohio

37 months ago

I am 36 and interested in sonography. However, I am concerned about job security. From the above comments and searching on Monster.com and careerbuilder.com for sonography positions, I am disheartened by the outlook. I am now reconsidering about this position. Maybe relocation is the only and best option?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

M.Cowan in Houston, Texas

37 months ago

To Pammy,

First, my job is not to get students to enroll in my program by talking up the profession on forums. I accept 14 students per year for which I get 60-100 applications. I do not have to resort to sub-par admissions practices as you suggest.

You said, "All the schools will tell you what you want to hear, so you will join their school. They aren't honest with you up front and that is what makes me angry!" Wrong....I am nothing but honest with everyone in regards to this profession. I have 20+ years of experience and a vast knowledge of this industry. You have no experience but seem to have all the answers.

Just because YOU can't find a job does not mean that schools should cease to exist. You personal experiences are not the benchmark by which work force training should proceed.

There will always be schools and training for this profession regardless of your personal experiences. There is never a guarantee that anyone will find a job in any profession. I know people with master’s degrees that can't find work in their chosen field. Such is the nature of a RECESSION.

Next, all of my graduates who wanted jobs have them. Yes that is right, they are working. All of the sonographers I know have jobs. I see job openings all the time. I have radiology directors contact me all the time looking for sonographers. So when I speak of people getting jobs, I am speaking from experience and not lying to the world as you suggest.

I don't want to be too harsh, but maybe you are doing something wrong. You should drill down a little deeper to see if you are holding your self back some how. Maybe you have a less than wonderful resume, perhaps your interview skills are lacking, maybe you have a negative attitude that managers are picking up on, perhaps you just lack the know how to properly market yourself. Regardless, it was your choice to attend DMS School, and the outcome of your actions is your own responsibility. So laying the blame on your school for not

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Tanya in Clarks Summit, Pennsylvania

36 months ago

@M Cowan.. Can you let me know some of the things that stand out on the applications/interviews? Is there anything extra that I could be doing that would make myself stand out above the rest besides good grades? I am starting school in September just doing pre-reqs and will then have to apply to get into the DMS program. I've researched so much and know this is absolutely what I would love to do. I'm very realistic with definitely not expecting to land a job as soon as I graduate..and I am willing to relocate to some areas also.. I haven't talked to the director of the program yet with all of my questions.. So if you have any thoughts on diagnostic vs cardiac vs vascular, you're input would be much appreciated!

M.Cowan, MBA, RT, RDMS, RVT, RDCS in Houston, Texas

36 months ago

Tanya,
I assume you mean the program interview/application not a job interview/applicaction. High GPA is always important as you mentioned. Other things I look at are work exp., previous medical exp., drops on the college transcripts, and how the person conducts themselves in the interview.
1. A professional work history iis an indicator of professionalism
2. College class drops/withdrawls is an indicator of perseverence or lack of.
3. Previous medical experience is an indicator of previous patient care & interaction and a working knowledge of the industry.
4. The interview is an indicator of communication skills, maturity, and reasons for choosinf the field.

This is my personal criteria and every program/admissions standards are different.

BTW, previous medical exp., does not have to be major. Even short training like CNA or EKG tech with a few months on the job is helpful.

36 months ago

diagnostic vs cardiac vs vascular:
I am credentialed and have expereice in all three. They call that a tri-modality sonographer. This is the best way to go but takes years to accomplish. I think that general (which you refer to as diagnostic) is becoming to flooded. There are too many schools and to many graduates for this, and it is starting to adversly impact the job market. although the severity of the impact is debatable. I would never do vascular only. vascular is good to know but should be done with cardiac or general. There are just too few places that employ vascular only sonographers.

In my opinion the best sonography field to get into is cardiac (echocardiography), more specifically pediatric cardiac. If there are no pediatric echo programs in your area, start with adult echo then add pedi. Here is why echo I say echo.
1. There are far fewer echo programs which mean that there are fewer graduates.
2.There are very few pedi echo training programs. Most echo programs are adult, some of them have a post graduate pedi training, but most dont.
3. Relativly speaking, very few people hold the pedi echo credential. I am credentialed in adult echo, and and know tons of people with the adult but I only personally know 3 people who have the pedi credential. There are just not many of them.
4. Obamacare. Yup, thats right Obamacare. As much as I disagree with the legislation, the door for prexisting condidtions has been thrown wide open. Congenital heart defects in kids are a massive segement of the 'preexisting' condidtion market. Providing innovative diagnostic and treatment options is and will continue to be huge.

Bottom line: A highly skilled echocardiographer that is credentialed in adult and pedi, or just pedi is worth their weight in gold.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

Hope this helps

echo in Honolulu, Hawaii

36 months ago

M.Cowan, MBA, RT, RDMS, RVT, RDCS in Houston, Texas said: diagnostic vs cardiac vs vascular:
I am credentialed and have expereice in all three. They call that a tri-modality sonographer. This is the best way to go but takes years to accomplish. I think that general (which you refer to as diagnostic) is becoming to flooded. There are too many schools and to many graduates for this, and it is starting to adversly impact the job market. although the severity of the impact is debatable. I would never do vascular only. vascular is good to know but should be done with cardiac or general. There are just too few places that employ vascular only sonographers.

In my opinion the best sonography field to get into is cardiac (echocardiography), more specifically pediatric cardiac. If there are no pediatric echo programs in your area, start with adult echo then add pedi. Here is why echo I say echo.
1. There are far fewer echo programs which mean that there are fewer graduates.
2.There are very few pedi echo training programs. Most echo programs are adult, some of them have a post graduate pedi training, but most dont.
3. Relativly speaking, very few people hold the pedi echo credential. I am credentialed in adult echo, and and know tons of people with the adult but I only personally know 3 people who have the pedi credential. There are just not many of them.
4. Obamacare. Yup, thats right Obamacare. As much as I disagree with the legislation, the door for prexisting condidtions has been thrown wide open. Congenital heart defects in kids are a massive segement of the 'preexisting' condidtion market. Providing innovative diagnostic and treatment options is and will continue to be huge.

Bottom line: A highly skilled echocardiographer that is credentialed in adult and pedi, or just pedi is worth their weight in gold.

I agree. Becoming "cross-trained" in more than one modality only makes you more marketable.
www.academyofultrasound.com/blog

36 months ago

@ M Cowan..yes I was talking about getting into the ultrasound program, but I'm extremely nervous! I have a son about to be a year old and I'm taking a very big gamble with this. :/ Cardiac is my first choice but my school is in the process of getting accredited (they're already accredited in diagnostic and vascular,now adding cardiac). There is no guarantee I will get into this program..have you ever had anyone apply time after time and not get in?

36 months ago

......and thank you for getting back to me!! It definitely solidified my choice of wanting to go cardiac..do you teach more than one modality at your school? If so, has anyone finished one then applied and got into another? I would like to do cardiac then try to get into diagnostic or vascular after.. Or am I being too ambitious..

M.Cowan,MBA,RT,RDMS,RVT,RDCS in Houston, Texas

36 months ago

If you don't get in just ask the program director what you can do to improve your application for the next entry. Most of these programs admit on a points system and it is a matter of getting the most points. You may have to retake classes or volunteer, etc....

Many people do go to one program then another but there are other ways to add modalities to your skill set. Me for instance, I was college trained in general sonography and learned vascular and echo on the job.

Those are long term objectives, you should focus your resources on the short term. That would be putting together an action plan with the goal of getting into a program.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kurt in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

36 months ago

@ M. Cowan:

"2. College class drops/withdrawls is an indicator of perseverence or lack of."

To make that assumption is foolish! Have you ever considered the fact that many applicants were working their way through college and had a family to consider? Employers rarely care about what an employee is pursuing outside of the workplace, therefore, schedules can collide and that often means dropping a class to avoid getting an undesirable grade...I'll take a W on my transcript before I accept anything less than a good grade. And family issues can cause the same dilemma. I've even dropped classes due to some of the sub-par professors that can be found hiding in universities. Nothing like trying to learn a subject from someone with ADHD or other personal problems that take their focus off their students...long story.

I can only imagine how many good candidates you may have passed up due to your ignorant, narrow-minded hiring process. Typical bureaucratic culture.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

Kurt,
You seem very worked up over this issue. Let me shed some light on the process of admitting students into a clinic intensive program. BTW, no need for name calling, you just hurt your argument.
You are correct, there are multiple reasons why students drop classes and the reasons you mentioned are all valid. I too have even dropped a class or to somewhere in time.

I am not posting about the occasional dropper or someone who had to drop a whole semester due to an issue. I am talking about a chronic pattern that is evident overtime. Chronic class dropping is a red flag. It indicates difficulty (for what ever reason) on following through with academic responsibilities.
Why is this important? Clinical based healthcare programs, like sonography, are time consuming and academically intensive. These programs requirea commited student who will persevere in the face of academic and personal adversity. I have 14 slots per year, for which I get many applications. I have to make a selection based on who I think will finish. Just consider, when I give a slot to someone, it is taken from someone else. And if that person does not finish then the slot was lost for both. In my experinces, I see a higher attrition rate of students who have a history of dropping. Sorry, but that is the truth. Its just like credit score, your past actions are an indicator of future actions.

In all fairness, I interview everybody. I give applicants the chance to explain and provide an action plan of what will be different if I give them a chance. Also, drops are only part of the whole process.

By you post, I assume you are a chronic dropper who was turned down for a program that you applied to. Good luck next time.

J in Mobile, Alabama

36 months ago

Echocardiography and Vascular cross-training

Hey, everyone. I was just wondering how many of you Echocardiographers, Vascular technicians out there have considered cross-training into the other modality/specialty? It seems that a lot of facilities are requiring dual modalities upon hiring a sonographer or make an agreement that candidate will cross-train within a certain timeframe.

Cross-training into another is good idea; especially, if you are already registered in at least one modality. Not only does this increase the knowledge of the Cardiovascular or the Vascular tech, but it makes you more marketable as well.

Good day, everyone and God Bless.

www.academyofultrasound.com/blog

Beck in San Diego, California

34 months ago

M. Cowan

Thank you for your comments on Echo.

I am will be heading off (fingers crossed) to CVT school next fall and have always had my eye on Adult Echo as my specialty.

I am currently volunteering and shadowing in an an EP/Cath lab and find it fascinating. Can you please comment on Invasive versus Echo? I am mainly concerned with job security and I hear that RTs are being preferred over a CVT for invassive. However, I hear that if you sub-specialize in EP you may be in a better position in the long term.

Thanking you in advance

Central Coast Cali

33 months ago

Beck in San Diego, California said: M. Cowan

Thank you for your comments on Echo.

I am will be heading off (fingers crossed) to CVT school next fall and have always had my eye on Adult Echo as my specialty.

I am currently volunteering and shadowing in an an EP/Cath lab and find it fascinating. Can you please comment on Invasive versus Echo? I am mainly concerned with job security and I hear that RTs are being preferred over a CVT for invassive. However, I hear that if you sub-specialize in EP you may be in a better position in the long term.

Thanking you in advance

Beck in San Diego,
How do you get to volunteer/shadow? I have been unable to find any such opportunity. No hospitals or imaging centers in this area will consider it.
Thanks.

33 months ago

Every hospital is different.

Go to the hospital's website. Most all have a "Volunteer" link.

Then inquire as to what departments offer volunteering. Not all will offer in non-invasive or invasive.

If they do, ask if observing is something a volunteer can do. If it is a teaching hospital, more than likely they are more open to you observing or shadowing a procedure.

Sean Colombe in Salem, Oregon

32 months ago

Hello. I returned to college at 42 and just graduated with a BS in Vascular Technology from Oregon Institute of Technology. I performed a year externship at the University of Utah Vascular Lab under Steve Talbot (the pioneer of venous ultrasound).

I have been unable to find employment in this field and do not have the money to move near a hospital where I can volunteer to gain experience. To give you and idea of my background, I have a previous BS in science, operated a successful small business with family for many years, and graduated with a 3.3 GPA.

I would strongly suggest to anyone considering this field that you have the financial means to volunteer your time as a tech for a year or two in order to gain the experience needed for employment.

I have some of the best education and externship experience a graduate can obtain and I can not even get and interview.

If you know of anyone hiring full time, my email is:
seancolombe@gmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

josh99 in Colton, California

32 months ago

good luck even finding a place to let you volunteer as a sonographer. i don't see that happening as standard practice. It just doesn't work that way.

also with only a RVT it is very difficult to find work. Most people who only have RVT have been grandfathered in. New grads with RVT only are in a very bad situation.

32 months ago

To be clear, I was not inferring that you can volunteer as a licensed CVT/Sonographer, etc. Too much liability for the hospital.

My comments were specific to just volunteering in order to get your hours, and, perhaps be able to be close (volunteering in) to your current or future speciality, or meet future employers close up and personally. Volunteering is a great way to get your name out there in a specific department.

I work four hours per week in a Cath/EP lab department. I help nurses in post and preop, run labs, etc., for the EP and Cath labs. In addition, all the technologists, nurses, etc. in the cath and EP labs have been extremely generous with letting me observe procedures whenever I want. I get to ask questions and talk to all the people that make it happen, including the cardiologists.

This allows me to get direct experience that will help me decide which specialty to go into (Invasive, non-invasive) and rub elbows with decision makers that may consider me as a candidate in the not too distant future.

No, you can not volunteer as a technologist. But you certainly can volunteer.

jarofjam in Saint Paul, Minnesota

32 months ago

I am new to this forum. I am curious about the posts regarding volunteering. How is it possible to gain 1 - 2 years of experience in ultrasound if you are not consistently scanning? Isn't this the experience that most employers want--scanning experience? I am a graduate of a program in general ultrasound, but due to lack of OB clinical sites in my area, did not get much experience in OB. Do I need to volunteer in an OB clinic to get that experience? Even if I'm NOT scanning? And what about the RVT? I did quite a bit of that at my clinical site, but the program I graduated from is not accredited in vascular sonography (even though we were required to take to semesters of vascular ultrasound!)Do I need to volunteer in a vascular lab to get experience in that area too? I am working on studying for my abdominal boards and hope to take them shortly after the first of the year, but my fear is that with my limited clinical experience, my student loans coming due very soon, and my need to just "pay the bills" my time to volunteer is very limited! I am very committed to this field. I love it! I moved my family over 1200 miles to get this education and am willing to relocate for a job. But I feel as though, due to unseen circumstances, I did not get the experience from the institution where I graduated from necessary to get hired in this field. I feel misled, taken advantage of, under qualified, and saddened that my hopes and dreams for myself and my family have been squalched. (probably not I word, but it gets my feelings across). How do we all work together- school instructors, clinical instructors, new grads, veteran sonographers- to keep this field growing in the right direction as the population ages and the need for sonographers increases. There does not feel like there is much support out there....and there are some very dedicated new sonographers out there (including myself) that are begging for opportunity

Sandy in Pflugerville, Texas

27 months ago

Hi M. Cowan,

I will be graduating this at the end of this year and am considering moving back to Houston. Do you by any chance know what the average starting salary for a new grad is or is there a big difference in where one works and if a float? Also, what does the job prospect look like in Houston? Any information would be greatly helpful and appreciated.

Thank you!

pammynelle in Houston, Texas

27 months ago

I can tell you from experience. It is difficult to find a job straight out of school as everyone wants experience. I know all of the students in my class that had jobs right out of school were hired from their clinical sites. If your site isnt hiring(and since you didnt go to school here) it will be more difficult, but eventually something will come along. Salary is going to depend on if you r PRN or partime or fulltime status. Average salary for PRN is $27-30/hr fulltime a little less.

M.Cowan in Houston, Texas

27 months ago

Starting salaries are going to vary. I believe we start our PRN in the mid-upper 30/hr range. Maybe $35-38/hr. I see PRN as low as $30 at some locations.Thus 30-39 is about right. For fulltime knock off about 25-35%. However most places are not hiring many FTE at this time.

Market is rough for new grads at this time. I would secure a job before moving here.

pammynelle in Spring, Texas

27 months ago

wow those prices must be down in the med center. Ive never seen rates that high!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Sandy in Pflugerville, Texas

27 months ago

Thank you for the information. I'm actually from Houston and family is there. That's why I would like to move back. I'm at ACC right now, is PRN difficult to find?

27 months ago

How old are you?

Sandy in Austin, Texas

27 months ago

Excuse me?

Amber_18 in Malakoff, Texas

26 months ago

I recently was interested getting into this field. I am still in school and wasn't sure what road to take. As students or past students that have attended a technical school or college we have all been there. I stumbled across this field and have been doing so much research but i have SO MANY questions if there is anyone on here that has personal experience or has been in this field PLEASE HELP ME! You would be a life saver! You can email me at amberleigh2011@hotmail.com or just answer my questions on here. It would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Hawk in Houston, Texas

26 months ago

I just got accepted to the HCHD Sonography program. The hardest part was convincing the Mrs to let me quit my job to goto school. I can not wait to get started.

TaraNC in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina

26 months ago

Congrats! She will love you for it, when your done. GOod luck. I start in Aug also. ahhhhhhhhhh finally....Ive never wanted to skip summer before.

6870NYC in New York

22 months ago

pammynelle in Magnolia, Texas said: Matt I always see your post about good market etc. here. Being your job is getting students to enroll in your college is really not fair for you to say this. All the schools will tell you what you want to hear, so you will join their school. They aren't honest with you up front and that is what makes me angry! People sacrifice 2 years of there lives to go to ultrasound school which is very stressful. It requires alot of your time away from your family for the extensive amount of studying,clinicals and class time. However the truth is even here in Houston its very hard to get a job as an utrasound tech unless your lucky enough that your clinical site is hiring upon completion. Yes the jobs are out there,but as a new grad its very difficult to land one if you have no experience. I have put probably 30 applications and I am registered. I have gotten only interviews at only 2 hospitals and both have told me they need someone with experience. I even had 3 interviews at one hospital and the hiring manager and all the techs wanted me, but when she presented it to the director the director shot it down because I have no work experience. If I had known then what I know now I would not have done it either. This was my biggest concern upon going to ultrasound school and now I see I was right!

TOTALLY agree with you!! M.Cowan sound like the professors I had at my school. His assumptions that you are doing something wrong are NOT the case. Just look around the indeed forums to see that TONS of people (new graduates or not) cannot find jobs from all over the country. Makes me wonder if M. Cowan has actually BEEN in the job market in awhile. If he's anything like my professors they haven't scanned in the real world in at least 10-15 years so they have NO IDEA about the job market. It's all about who you know.

pammynelle in Spring, Texas

22 months ago

Well I love how he blames me then admits a few posts down ..quote..... "Market is rough for new grads at this time." That was my whole point.

frustratedgrad in Englewood, Florida

9 months ago

Sir,

I am very disappointed in your post and you should be ashamed of yourself as an adult to react and overcompensate with your disparaging remarks. These remarks were not very considerate and were very mean-spirited towards someone who is obviously speaking out and voicing her frustration and dismay at going through the program and then hitting a brick wall. For you to intimate that it may be something SHE is doing is mean and should be below someone in your position. As a graduate of vascular ultrasound program in one of the top colleges Spokane Community College and now unemployed veteran of the Navy and Army and spent a year in Iraq and I CANNOT find a job! Am I doing something wrong too?? Out of all the people I graduated with only TWO have jobs a year and a half later. Four of them like myself veterans!
What you should have done is try to reassure her and give her compassion. As I give mine to you.

Mary Baker
vascular ultrasound
Veteran, SGT

Aiyai in Houston, Texas

8 months ago

Hi,
M. Cowan
I was so excited to read your comment, because I am looking for an employment as a sonographer in Houston Texas area. But, my problem is that I graduated from accredit ultrasound program in California 4 years ago. I also obtain ARDMS in abdomen since 2010. I had a visa issues that I need to resolve (I was an international student) so I had to give up on looking for ultrasound job and keep going to school. My passion for ultrasound career have never gone away though.
Skipping forward to 4 years later, finally and luckily I was able to get a working permission like 3 months ago. So, I have decided to pursue the ultrasound job again without hesitation. As I imagined, in spite of applying for so many ultrasound tech positions, nobody wanted to hire me so far. I received phone interview with one of the major hospitals in Houston, but they declined for in-person interview. They said that they leaned toward the candidate who has little bit more experience. After that opportunity, there is no good luck so far.
Regarding all of that, my question is this. Is there any possibility to get hired after this much time since graduation? Do you have any suggestion for a person like me to get hired or get more clinical experience?
Oh, sorry one more thing. Do you think it is possible for me to re-enter the ultrasound program like yours or others just to gain the clinical experience?
Sorry, my comment got so long. I am desperately in need of your advice.
Thank you so much.

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.