Does a Bachelor's Degree make a difference?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 66)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

MissLys in South Richmond Hill, New York

49 months ago

Look on the ARDMS website and see what are the requirements to sit for the registry. www.ardms.org. That might help you decide too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Anna in Middle Village, New York

49 months ago

I am posting the open house dates for anyone interested in going to SUNY DOWNSTATE for their ultrasound program. The dates are as follows:

Tuesday Oct. 12th 5:30 - 8:00 in the Auditorium

Wednesday Nov. 17th Room #781

Thursday Dec. 16th Room #781

The address is: 395 Lenox Road in Brooklyn, NY.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

She Who Must Be Obeyed in Charlotte, North Carolina

44 months ago

I have a BSc and PostGraduate degree...nobody cares, its just the RDMS employers look for. Maybe the BSc will help down the line if I want to move into management but in reality it changes nothing....salary is based on experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

MissLys in South Richmond Hill, New York

44 months ago

Hi Jacqueline,

Actually yes your school does seem like a lot. The tests are very hard, I took them a few times where I know some other people passed them on the first try. It all depends where you went to school. I think they were both hard. There is a lot of information you need to know about the abdomen. Again, I only took the abdomen, so I dont know about the OB GYN

Not quite sure what you mean about learning other specialties on the job. After the coursework you do internship, and that's where you learn to scan everything. Then depending on where you get hired, that's what you'll be doing all day. If you work in a hospital where they do everything you will learn everything. But some hospitals have different areas for different things, like vascular and OB.

Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jacqueline in Miami, Florida

44 months ago

She Who Must Be Obeyed in Charlotte, North Carolina said: I have a BSc and PostGraduate degree...nobody cares, its just the RDMS employers look for. Maybe the BSc will help down the line if I want to move into management but in reality it changes nothing....salary is based on experience.

Oh, I see. That's a shame your degrees can't be recognized much in this field. But, that truly helps me to know.

Thank you so much! :]

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jacqueline in Miami, Florida

44 months ago

Hello Miss Lys!

I figured as much. I know my mother's friend's daughter in another school who will complete her sonography program this March, and I believe she's only been in it for a year and a half. The only thing is it's MUCH more expensive. My school would be 4 years, but it would be so much cheaper. I know of someone in relation to my friend that went to the program in my school, and has been a sonogrpaher for a few years. Perhaps I should speak with her on the specifics of the program, how her experience was with it, as well as it's helpfulness to the registry tests. That would probably give me more insight on the program :]

When you said you choose one specialty to get registered with (say Abdomen, like you), you pass it along with the physics test and get the registry---then if you want to register in any other specialty (say OB-GYN), you said you get a CV letter from your employer stating that you can scan that specialty. When you're learning that second specialty to get that CV letter, is that done on the job? Or are you supposed to get that CV letter in the internship before you're registered for anything? (Sorry if this sounded confusing)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

halie in Rochester, New York

37 months ago

Jacqueline in Hollywood, Florida said: Hi, my name is Jackie, and I'm in need of GREAT help. I've looked everywhere, but I can't seem to find answers to the questions I have. I hope posting a discussion will help get me responses, because I've posted on other discussions, and still no reply :-/

Well, I'm a current student at Broward College, and I'll be done with my pre-reqs (60 credits) by the end of this semester. My school has an accredited program, but they only offer an Associate's Degree. So far from my research, the only school in Florida that offers a Bachelor's Degree is Nova University (private college). The costs of classes there are very high, and my parents are willing to help me out---but I don't want to spend all that money if it isn't necessary. And honestly, I'm not even 100% sure yet sonography's the route I want to go---and I would only want to go to Nova for sonography, and nothing else. I've been reading on these discussions of people pursuing the Bachelor's Degree. I'm quite confused, because I had read from numerous sites that a Bachelor's really didn't make a difference---it's all about the license. Is this true?

I have also read that sonographers make around $62,000 annually---but this includes calls and overtime. Without calls and/or overtime, how much would a sonographer make?

Lastly, I read the steps to becoming a sonographer is getting the Associate's Degree in an accredited program, and then taking 3 national exams to get your license. Is this also true? When would specializing come into play?

I know these are alot of questions, but I'm in desperate need of guidance. If anyone could help me, it'd be greatly appreciated.

CAN ANYONE PLEASSSEEE HELP ME?
WOULD I MAKE MORE MONEY AS A SONOGRAPHER IF I SPECIALIZED IN MORE THAN
ONE SPECIALTY? ( WILL THE MORE I SPECIALIZE IN INCREASE MY SALARY?)
PLEASSE HELP ME OUT.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jacqueline

37 months ago

halie in Rochester, New York said: CAN ANYONE PLEASSSEEE HELP ME?
WOULD I MAKE MORE MONEY AS A SONOGRAPHER IF I SPECIALIZED IN MORE THAN
ONE SPECIALTY? ( WILL THE MORE I SPECIALIZE IN INCREASE MY SALARY?)
PLEASSE HELP ME OUT.

I know for a fact this is true. The more specialties, the more money. But don't expect to get top salary once you start working---it takes about two years of employment for your salary to increase a fair amount (from what research tells me).

But the answer to your question is yes x]

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

crazylegs in Houston, Texas

36 months ago

Hi, I am a 38 year old stay at home mom who moved to Katy Tx from England.I am looking to become a sonographer.However I have no degree/ college hours etc.How would I start ? Would anywhere accept me with no college ? I would want to be accepted to an accredited school. I read that community college is the way to go for this as it's far cheaper. Would I have to do lots of other courses first before I could even be considered for sonography ? Also I would want to complete it all in the shortest time frame possible. Any help or advice would be so appreciated. Also if anyone can tell me what are good community colleges near Katy,Tx.Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

karry in Lenoir, North Carolina

36 months ago

crazylegs in Houston, Texas

It really depends where you go to school. My local CC requires you to just take some english, easy math, physics and on anato/physiology class to get on the waitlist. You could do than in a year, then work on other AS stuff while you wait your turn. You can also test out of the english. But still need it but can take later.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jacqueline R. in Rockville Centre, New York

36 months ago

Has anyone heard anything about the reputation of New York Methodist Hospital. I was looking at their website and the education dept for diagnostic sonography says that it is a two year intensive program mon-fri 9-5. I'm not sure if this school is a scam or whether or not they offer an associates degree or just the certification. Two years seems pretty intense for just a certificate program. Any info on this school would be very useful to me as I am on the fence about applying at this point.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Ruben in Bronx, New York

35 months ago

on average,how long does it tke to get a certificate in ulra sonography and how much can you expect to earn to earn with it?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Karry in Lenoir, North Carolina

35 months ago

www.caahep.org/Find-An-Accredited-Program/

New York Methodist is a Caahep accredited program. So you should be good to go! That is the main thing employers want, is for you to attend a CAAHEP program and get your RDMS. This school will enable you to be trained and do your testing asap. The AS is not really a big deal, just like the BA is not. The only other hospital based program that I am aware of is in Cal-Kaiser Richmond and they will waive tuition of you work there for a few years. I hear its a great program. I think going to the NY one would be a good move.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Roger in Bronx, New York

35 months ago

Hi! I just wanted to know,how much does a ultra sound tech make in NY With an associates or a certificate?=O

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jacqueline in Hollywood, Florida

35 months ago

crazylegs in Houston, Texas said: Hi, I am a 38 year old stay at home mom who moved to Katy Tx from England.I am looking to become a sonographer.However I have no degree/ college hours etc.How would I start ? Would anywhere accept me with no college ? I would want to be accepted to an accredited school. I read that community college is the way to go for this as it's far cheaper. Would I have to do lots of other courses first before I could even be considered for sonography ? Also I would want to complete it all in the shortest time frame possible. Any help or advice would be so appreciated. Also if anyone can tell me what are good community colleges near Katy,Tx.Thanks

Hey crazylegs. Where I live, typically in community colleges you have to take about 10 pre-requisite classes, and either have a Bachelor's degree or a radiography certificate/degree to enter a sonography program. I researched some schools in your area, and it seems to be the same. So in total, it would take about 4 years to be a sonographer in a community college without any previous college education (2 years for Bachelor's degree/radiography certificate or degree, and 2 years for sonography certificate or degree). In a technical school, the time is much quicker (about 2 years or less), but the cost is much greater ($30K+ in my area). So it comes down to money vs. time; you have to figure out which is more important to you, or which is more practical. As for which schools to go to in your area, a great way to look is to use www.caahep.org; I looked already in Texas, and there are 16 accredited programs in total, with 3 of them being in the Houston area. Here's the list: www.caahep.org/Find-An-Accredited-Program/

Hope this helped!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jacqueline in Hollywood, Florida

35 months ago

Ruben in Bronx, New York said: on average,how long does it tke to get a certificate in ulra sonography and how much can you expect to earn to earn with it?

Hello Ruben :]

Depends on where you go. If you get your certificate/degree at a community college, it'll typically take about 4 years to complete, because you'll need 2 years for a Bachelor's degree or a radiography certificate/degree, then two years for your sonography certificate/degree. If you get your certificate from a technical school, then you can earn it in 2 or less years. It costs much more than community colleges do, though. According to salary.com, the lowest 10% of sonographers in Bronx, New York make $64,495 annually, with the highest 10% making $90,960 annually. The median salary is $77,199, so the earnings seem right on point :]

Roger in Bronx, New York said: Hi! I just wanted to know,how much does a ultra sound tech make in NY With an associates or a certificate?=O

Hello Roger :]

As I told Ruben, according to salary.com, the annual median salary in Bronx, New York for sonographers is $77,199. I wasn't able to find an average salary for all of New York in the time I had :-/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Roger in Bronx, New York

35 months ago

Thanks =]

Sammyp in Altamonte Springs, Florida

32 months ago

Hello,

I would LOVE to have a couple of my questions answered asap please.

I have a Bachelor's Degree in Business, however I've realized this is not the area I would like to work in. I've been researching (and always interested in) sonography.

1) Since I have the bachelors/pre-requisites, does anyone know how many more years of schooling I will need?
2) Do I take the tests after the schooling?
3) If I'm not currently enrolled in school, WHO/WHERE can I talk with someone about these options in person? Where do you speak to someone about a potential career move?!!
4) Is it easy to complete these courses online? I may be out of the country for some of the time.
5) Is the schooling intense, or are you able to work a part-time job on the side?
6) Which test do you recommend? Abdomen, OB-GYn etc? honestly, which is easier and which is better to have taken?

Thank you!!!! the more answers and opinions, the better PLEASE. APPRECIATE IT!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

VG in Portsmouth, New Hampshire

31 months ago

Is there a salary difference between a certificate or an associates in this field? Also, is it harder to find a job with only a certificate. I have not done any college courses as of yet so I want to figure this out prior to starting. I plan on using benefits to cover part of the college that are based on a limited of months you can use them for rather than a limited amount of tuition money so if a certificate takes less time but still is seen the same in the eyes of an employer I may consider that route over an associates degree program.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Ruben in Bronx, New York

31 months ago

VG in Portsmouth, New Hampshire said: Is there a salary difference between a certificate or an associates in this field? Also, is it harder to find a job with only a certificate. I have not done any college courses as of yet so I want to figure this out prior to starting. I plan on using benefits to cover part of the college that are based on a limited of months you can use them for rather than a limited amount of tuition money so if a certificate takes less time but still is seen the same in the eyes of an employer I may consider that route over an associates degree program.

A college degree is always more respected but a certification is becoming played out =[

MM in Seattle, Washington

31 months ago

Sammyp in Altamonte Springs, Florida said: Hello,

I would LOVE to have a couple of my questions answered asap please.

I have a Bachelor's Degree in Business, however I've realized this is not the area I would like to work in. I've been researching (and always interested in) sonography.

1) Since I have the bachelors/pre-requisites, does anyone know how many more years of schooling I will need?
2) Do I take the tests after the schooling?
3) If I'm not currently enrolled in school, WHO/WHERE can I talk with someone about these options in person? Where do you speak to someone about a potential career move?!!
4) Is it easy to complete these courses online? I may be out of the country for some of the time.
5) Is the schooling intense, or are you able to work a part-time job on the side?
6) Which test do you recommend? Abdomen, OB-GYn etc? honestly, which is easier and which is better to have taken?

Thank you!!!! the more answers and opinions, the better PLEASE. APPRECIATE IT!

I am in the same boat! I have been trying to research...I think that the program is pretty intense, many of the pre-reqs can be done online. I'm curious if our business degrees will help out in ANY way. I look forward to hearing some responses! Good luck :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

joshgunner99 in San Jose, California

31 months ago

MM in Seattle, Washington said: I am in the same boat! I have been trying to research...I think that the program is pretty intense, many of the pre-reqs can be done online. I'm curious if our business degrees will help out in ANY way. I look forward to hearing some responses! Good luck :)

In reply to Sammyp questions
1) You will probably need 2 years of prereq
2) Yes you take the boards after your graduate from ultrasound school
3) Check out the ultrasound program you plan on applying to see what their pre-req are. www.caahep.org/
4) online? you mean the pre-reqs? I suppose their are online classes you can take for that. It's not easy learning physics and anatomy .
5) You mean the ultrasound program intense? Or the pre -req? pre-req you can probably take as many classes as you want. For ultrasound programs it's full time. You can not work unless you are someone special who is use to working and studying all the time.
6) which test to recommend? you can as many as you are qualify to take. And I think you are getting ahead of yourself. That is after you graduate from ultrasound school do worry about testing specialties.
hope it helps!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lilly in New York, New York

31 months ago

I am also interested in NY Methodist Hospitals sonography certificate program and although I am a cuny student trying to get into the suny downstate program I am gearing more towards Methodist hospitals program though it is a lot of money it will save me 1 year and a half of schooling and from the research I've done they employers don't care as long as you become registered, but I would like others opinions on what I should do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Karry in Nashville, Tennessee

31 months ago

Look at the jobs available. Many require graduation from an accredited program( not sure of Methodist) and some require an AS so be careful.

Lilly in New York, New York

31 months ago

Well the school is accredited by CAAHEP and if I decided I can apply the certificate credits towards a BS at one of their affiliated schools either St. Francis College or The University of Clarion. Just want to make sure I make the right decision.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Karry in Lenoir, North Carolina

31 months ago

I would guess that's good, are you close to an AA or AS? I'd like my BA too.I did get my AA and when I finish sonography I'll have that AS. anyone know any school that would give me a BA easily? I was told some school may use all my combined units and I may not have to do a whole lot. I have a total of 98 units from community college not counting the 12 this semester.

Alhi in Lyndhurst, New Jersey

29 months ago

Hello, I have read a lot of this info here BUT still not sure about what's the best thing to do. So Lets start, im a single mother of two which means that Im looking to do the shortest ultrasound technician course, however my question again is if it's better to obtain the associate degree(2 yr) or is a course at a technical school (about 2yrs or less) the same or not for when it comes to looking for a job? I mean i have read that employers dont really care about how many yrs you studied, they only care if you went to an accredited school and have the "RDMS" on your license/title.... Please clarify this for me and explain to me if whether im wrong and what can I do.

Also i reside in NJ and i have looked at the Caheep website to look for an accredited school but havent found anything is that where I can look for ultrasound schools? or does anyone knows which schools in NJ are good (accredited of course)? and last question are there any online classes for this course? and if so is it a good idea to go for online courses(which will allow me to stay at home with my kids) or is it better to attend school? and then when it comes to the practice how does that work if I was to take the online clasess? Thank you very much in advance, thx for the patience and I hope im not being a pain!

29 months ago

Hello, I have read a lot of this info here BUT still not sure about what's the best thing to do. So Lets start, im a single mother of two which means that Im looking to do the shortest ultrasound technician course, however my question again is if it's better to obtain the associate degree(2 yr) or is a course at a technical school (about 2yrs or less) the same or not for when it comes to looking for a job? I mean i have read that employers dont really care about how many yrs you studied, they only care if you went to an accredited school and have the "RDMS" on your license/title.... Please clarify this for me and explain to me if whether im wrong and what can I do.

Also i reside in NJ and i have looked at the Caheep website to look for an accredited school but havent found anything is that where I can look for ultrasound schools? or does anyone knows which schools in NJ are good (accredited of course)? and last question are there any online classes for this course? and if so is it a good idea to go for online courses(which will allow me to stay at home with my kids) or is it better to attend school? and then when it comes to the practice how does that work if I was to take the online clasess? Thank you very much in advance, thx for the patience and I hope im not being a pain!

29 months ago

pugggssst in Colton, California

29 months ago

1) Go to a caheep school. I don't think there are online classes for ultrasound. Even if there is, you will not be staying home all day. It is a full time program ,8 hours a day if it is to be an accredited one. When you are not in class, you are in clinicals. After your clinicals you have homework to do.

2) Most ultrasound programs are either an associates degree or a certificate. It doesn't matter which you go to, but I think the certificate programs require you have an associates before applying. You will also need to complete the prerequisites which takes about 2 years. So it's more like a 4 year program in total to become a sonographer.

3) I don't think employers care if it's a certificate or associates. They care if you have RDMS and can scan. Preferably with experience.

4) There are a lot of posts on how hard it is to find work in this field. Make sure you know what's going on in the market.

good luck to ya

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

29 months ago

pugggssst in Colton, California said: 1) Go to a caheep school. I don't think there are online classes for ultrasound. Even if there is, you will not be staying home all day. It is a full time program ,8 hours a day if it is to be an accredited one. When you are not in class, you are in clinicals. After your clinicals you have homework to do.

2) Most ultrasound programs are either an associates degree or a certificate. It doesn't matter which you go to, but I think the certificate programs require you have an associates before applying. You will also need to complete the prerequisites which takes about 2 years. So it's more like a 4 year program in total to become a sonographer.

3) I don't think employers care if it's a certificate or associates. They care if you have RDMS and can scan. Preferably with experience.

4) There are a lot of posts on how hard it is to find work in this field. Make sure you know what's going on in the market.

good luck to ya

Hello thx a lot for the info BUT I kind of dont agree with answer #2 I mean it just doesn't make sense to me, what is the point of going to a *Vocational school if I was to already have an associates.....? Im confused on that one(sorry), I thought associates would be 2 yr college and certificate is a shorter course normally 18 months to 24 months! So then if indeed i can do it @ a vocational school then once I do the test or get my certification (however you call it) to be able to get a job... ALSO on answer #1 you tell me that this is a Full Time program (8 hrs a day) and I hope you are wrong only because if it is like that then I wont be able to take it since like I explained Im a single mother who NEEDS to work and for me it works better if I work full time and do evening classes =/ I hope there are schools that offer evening classes for this course or else im Screwed ={ thanks again for your help!

Karry

29 months ago

From what I've seen alot of jobs ask for a AS degree. My program director recommended we work no more than 16 hours a week. I think you will run into problem because you need almost 2000 clinical hours that take place 8-5 pm. My program starts in aug and starting October we spent 2 days a week in hospitals. Then Jan-may it's 3 days per week. Summer time is 4 days a week. All that on top of classes and scanning in labs. I know it would be hard being single with kids. I have kids and married and it's still gonna be hard. I've heard of some Accredited program in FL?? Jackson CC that's online but you must find your own hospitals for clinicals,

pugggssst in Colton, California

29 months ago

This is for Alhi in NJ. Sorry for the confusion. To clarify, whether it's certificate or associates degree, you will need to complete prerequisites before applying for the program. The program itself may be 18 months, but it generally takes 1.5-2 years to complete the prerequisites before you can apply to the ultrasound program. And it may take even longer because it can be tough getting into the in demand classes at a community college.

If it's accredited, I would expect an 8 hour day M-F commitment. But who knows, perhaps you get a day off in between. Definitely don't expect 3 day a week work load. Or taking a college class an hour a day and going home. There's no way you can learn all about ultrasound in 18 months like that. When people study ultrasound , it's considered a full time commitment.
Of all the imaging modalities, ultrasound is the most scanner dependent and difficult to learn. Don't think of it as something easy you do in 18 months cause it is way harder. You really need those clinical hours to be able to scan just on an acceptable level. Even after graduating, you will not be as good as the more experience techs.

I think you need family support if you are going to pursue this. And I'm afraid too so many people on this board say no job even after going to accredited. That wouldn' be good to spend 10-30k and not have job.

best wishes!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Karry in Massachusetts

29 months ago

Also, you may already have an associates but an AA has diff classes than the AS. If you dont have the required sciences, ( Anatomy, physics, math) you will need to take them before the U/S program will accept you.

Irina in Brooklyn, New York

29 months ago

Jacqueline R. in Rockville Centre, New York said: Has anyone heard anything about the reputation of New York Methodist Hospital . I was looking at their website and the education dept for diagnostic sonography says that it is a two year intensive program mon-fri 9-5. I'm not sure if this school is a scam or whether or not they offer an associates degree or just the certification. Two years seems pretty intense for just a certificate program. Any info on this school would be very useful to me as I am on the fence about applying at this point.

Hi, I was also thinking to go to their school for DMS prgram. read a lot and asked people I even went there for a tour. The place seem to be nice and organized, reception helpful . They are CAHEEP acredited which is very importatnt and at the end of 2 year program you will get a certificate not Associate, and the eprogram is really very intense compare to other schools. They opened this program just few yeras ago and had their first graduation this year only that's why it's hard to find any reviews about thist program. I also checked IAMP, but they ARE NOT CAHEEP accrediteed and offer 16 month program, which meens at the end you will have to work for pennies a year in order to be eligible to sit for ARDMS exam. So I am choosing NY Methodist and starting this September just to be on the safe side after long thoughts a research. Hope this helps

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

tannek in Staten Island, New York

28 months ago

Irina - Can you tell me more of what you know about the NY Methodist program? I'm hoping to apply shortly and have also been researching St. Francis and Clarion to see what options are available to continue education. So far NY Methodist, being CAAHEP accredited, affiliated with a real hospital and real colleges seems like the best and quickest option for NYers. SUNY Downstate will probably always be on top in comparison but I honestly don't have the time available to get an AS first. So NYM is looking like the best option for me.

Irina in Brooklyn, New York

28 months ago

Hi tannek, NYMethodist is CAAHEP accredited 24 months DMS program. During the programm they will send to a different locations for your clinicals as they said, few days will be at school and most of the time in the hospitals, they mentioned could be different locations so you have to be flexible in terms of transportation, I guess. Its pretty intense program 5 x week 9-5, but in the end , i think you'll just benefit from this. I also spoke to few people from sonography field all of them finished IAMP in Manhattan, but will not recommend it, they all said to go to NYM.What I also like was that hey are always there to answer all your questions. At the end they give you 60 college credits. They have more information on their web site definitely check it out and call them if you have any questions. Hope that helped.

tannek in New York, New York

28 months ago

Thanks, Irina! I'm going to send in my application this week. I would love to get into the September class, I hope it's not too late.

iriskas2008@yahoo.com in Brooklyn, New York

28 months ago

I also applied for September. They don't have a deadline so I think you are still good. Hope to see you there and good luck!!!

28 months ago

I went to go visit NY Methodist's site yesterday and brought most of my supporting documents with me so they took my application in person. The girl I spoke to was very nice and not pushy at all. I'm taking the entrance exam next Friday. Maybe I will see some of you in September! Good luck!

Alice105 in New York, New York

28 months ago

Tannek, let us know how hard the exam is, also DOES ANYONE KNOW IF AN OBGYN/ADOminal TECH HAVE TO SCROTUM EXAMS?

28 months ago

Alice105 - I was told the entrance exam consists of both reading and math tests. They use an outsourcing company for their tests and you can take a practice exam, but it's not free. I took the math one and while it wasn't super advanced I do realize that I'll need to brush up on a few things. I haven't taken a math class in a very long time!

28 months ago

tannek in Staten Island, New York said: Alice105 - I was told the entrance exam consists of both reading and math tests. They use an outsourcing company for their tests and you can take a practice exam, but it's not free. I took the math one and while it wasn't super advanced I do realize that I'll need to brush up on a few things. I haven't taken a math class in a very long time!

Thanks!! 4 the info guess I'll go to college and take remedials with finannacial aid or something lol

28 months ago

I'm just using online resources for some of the things I don't remember or use often enough to know well, algebra, geometry, etc. I'm not certain how close the practice test is to the real test but it was ALL word problems.

28 months ago

I was interested in becoming an adominal/OBGYN sonographer, but I was just wondering do they also have to do scrotum and pelvic exams and breast exams?

Irina

28 months ago

tannek in Staten Island, New York said: I'm just using online resources for some of the things I don't remember or use often enough to know well, algebra, geometry, etc. I'm not certain how close the practice test is to the real test but it was ALL word problems.

Hi Tannek, I am also having my entrance exam on 22nd Friday, will see u there. They told me that the exam is very similar to the practice version on line. Hopefully it won't be to hard.

28 months ago

Irina said: Hi Tannek, I am also having my entrance exam on 22nd Friday, will see u there. They told me that the exam is very similar to the practice version on line. Hopefully it won't be to hard.

Good to know! I'm not sure what score would be considered pass/fail though, that would be helpful. I'll see you there.

Derek in Lexington, Massachusetts

28 months ago

Jackie, I assume that's what you go by?

Getting a degree IS worth it, due diligence is first when looking into ANYTHING, but of course it's worth it to have higher education.

I have B.S is business administration but work in a non-profit human service field.

Nowadays a B.A or B.S is simply a step in the door.... Masters level is competing for the higher pay scales, and so isn't a Ph.D

Now my issues with just going for a certificate or something extremely focused such as sonography limits your "well rounded" education... Hence why so many people with a variety of B.A and B.S end up in totally different fields than they intended... it's because they got a more rounded education learning multiple applications and not just ONE specific item.

Also you stated your parents are willing to pay, you are crazy if you do not take advantage of this. (of course if this cripples your parents savings it probably isn't good) But if they are offering it it's probably because they saved specifically for you. So get a Bachelor Degree, in this economy a degree = education = knowledge = power.

I want to get my MBA or Masters in another area as soon as possible because I will know more, and be even more well rounded. That's the point of education.

Also you stated you are not sure you want to do sonography. That being said I wouldn't do it, it sounds like the same old story of I can be a "nurse" and make LOADS OF MONEY FAST! it's all BS. its actually extremely hard to be a nurse, in any case... you must get education, and pursue something your interested in, land a job doing what you like and from there you will grow into making good money.

Too many people hear certain job titles and think "if only i took 3 months to get a certificate, a license, then I can make X" it's not that easy, but it is doable if you put time and effort into it.

Degree = showing companies you were able to get it done. That's the foot in the door

Derek Rodriguez in Lexington, Massachusetts

28 months ago

Jackie, I assume that's what you go by?

Getting a degree IS worth it, due diligence is first when looking into ANYTHING, but of course it's worth it to have higher education.

I have B.S is business administration but work in a non-profit human service field.

Nowadays a B.A or B.S is simply a step in the door.... Masters level is competing for the higher pay scales, and so isn't a Ph.D

Now my issues with just going for a certificate or something extremely focused such as sonography limits your "well rounded" education... Hence why so many people with a variety of B.A and B.S end up in totally different fields than they intended... it's because they got a more rounded education learning multiple applications and not just ONE specific item.

Also you stated your parents are willing to pay, you are crazy if you do not take advantage of this. (of course if this cripples your parents savings it probably isn't good) But if they are offering it it's probably because they saved specifically for you. So get a Bachelor Degree, in this economy a degree = education = knowledge = power.

I want to get my MBA or Masters in another area as soon as possible because I will know more, and be even more well rounded. That's the point of education.

Also you stated you are not sure you want to do sonography. That being said I wouldn't do it, it sounds like the same old story of I can be a "nurse" and make LOADS OF MONEY FAST! it's all BS. its actually extremely hard to be a nurse, in any case... you must get education, and pursue something your interested in, land a job doing what you like and from there you will grow into making good money.

Too many people hear certain job titles and think "if only i took 3 months to get a certificate, a license, then I can make X" it's not that easy, but it is doable if you put time and effort into it.

Degree = showing companies you were able to get it done. That's the foot in the door

Ann in Houston, Texas

28 months ago

HI, I HAVE A SITUATION THAT MAYBE A PROFESSIONAL CAN HELP ME WITH ABOUT ULTRASOUND. I RECEIVED AN ASSOCIATES SEVERAL YEARS AGO FROM A SCHOOL THAT IS NOT CAAHEP ACCREDITATED AND I WOULD LIKE TO GET A JOB IN THE FIELD IF IT IS NOT TOO LATE AND MAYBE CHANGE CAREERS, I CURRENTLY WORK FULL-TIME. I STILL HAVE MY BOOKS AND INFORMATION TO STUDY ALTHOUGH I KNOW I WOULD BE RUSTY AT SCANNNING. MY QUESTION IS WHAT IS A GOOD PLACE TO ENTER AND GET INTO THE FIELD?

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.