SONOGRAPHY

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 62)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

anonymous in Roswell, Georgia

59 months ago

"Hello, the best answer to that is it depends what state you work in, that will determine your start out pay. Every state pays different. I know this because I have been a sonographer for ten yrs. I worked as a traveler for 8yrs. And florida does not pay all that great plus there is not a whole lot of jobs down there for sonographers"

Can you please email me when you have a chance s_ogbeide09@yahoo.com
I have a few questions concerning this field

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in Roswell, Georgia

59 months ago

best suggestion for you is not to enter in this field right now because of shortage of jobs not only in florida but everywhere.try nursing or CT.

In reply to this reply'
I am also interested in this same field. I already have a BA in graphic design and wanted to obtain either a degree or cert. in sonography. we are living in a recession and jobs are being lost. I do not want to stay in school for another 3- 4 years by doing nursing or anything that requires that length of time invested. What are some on demand careers health related besides common doctors/nurses/psychiatrist and etc that you would suggest in this tough economy?
All are free to respond. Thank you ever so much

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

ezsunday in Bluffton, South Carolina

58 months ago

I am the CEO of a staffing company and truly stay out of ultrasound at this time. It would be a major mistake for you.

Most likely if you don't have an inside connection it'll be very difficult. I'll try and explain what I can to help you understand this better.

One program director in California gave me over 60 Resumes of her graduates to help her. I only placed one and that was before this crisis hit. And I am very successful at what I do.

I had two hospitals in the past few weeks "want to hire experienced ultrasound people" and both called me personally an apologized that they had to freeze the position because they are losing to much money due to job losses out here (no insurance),,, insurance companies dropping people or not covering things they used to... and people dropping coverage to allow them to eat, and those same people not doing routine yearly preventive exams as it becomes out of pocket for them. I have never seen this but it is happening everywhere. I have never had a hospital(s) want to hire someone and have to decline due to economics.

Techs are getting hours cut, pay cut (never seen pay cut either hospital wide on good people), and won't move and all the while people keep graduating which is putting 4 times the number of techs out there as jobs available. Meaning if there are one jobs already staffed with none available,,, every few months 400 people for those jobs graduates,,,, and then a few months later 400 more (with the 100 remaining the same) and so on. Unless people retire,, where are these new jobs coming from? Nowhere,,, and it is a shame, to be honest. And that is one school with hundreds out there.

This is a perfect storm in the works when you consider Obama cutting exams,,, hospitals losing money (insurance reimbursement)... and then people who are going to school for imaging who don't understand the real picture out here.

If you don't heed this advice,,, make certain the school is accredited, in writing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

cpbutler in Houston, Texas

58 months ago

What opportunities do you see out there?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

cpbutler in Houston, Texas said: What opportunities do you see out there?

A few per State as far as full time. PRN in abundant but who wants that, mainly when it wouldn't sustain a living. To go back to your question, "That would depend on your qualifications and experience. Your modality and registry(s) as well". Send me a Resume (Microsoft Word by attachment) to medimagingjobs@yahoo.com and write me a background of yourself,,, and what you are looking for,,, and I can answer your questions easier. Without understanding your specific situation I can't answer "opportunity questions" as I don't know if they would apply to you personally. There are to many factors that have to be considered.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Hustler in Roswell, New Mexico

58 months ago

Hello, I would advise against anyone going into the ultrasound field at this time. The supply of newly graduated, newly registered techs is too high. The demand has dropped considerably thanks to the poor economy and the output of so many new graduates. I understand if your profession is in the gutter that going to a 2 year program would look appealing, but there are many drawbacks to getting into this field. Ultrasound (vascular, echo, OB/GYN, general) requires constant learning. Even graduating from an accredited program and passing the registry quickly, there is still a lot to learn. There is also the downside of taking call that is a constant thorn in the side of most techs. Someone that is registered and has more experience will almost always win in a job competition and that's the way it should be, right? With a large debt from ultrasound school and a poor job market, it would truly be an uphill battle. Many hospitals are cutting hours of there techs and putting a freeze on new hires, and this is also happening in Xray as well. If you must go into the healthcare profession, I'd have to recommend a job that there is a real demand for, like nursing. I would only recommend ultrasound if you really know what you're getting into and have it set in your heart that it's the absolute only thing you want to do in life. I've been working as a Sonographer for almost a decade.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

Hustler in Roswell, New Mexico said: Hello, I would advise against anyone going into the ultrasound field at this time. The supply of newly graduated, newly registered techs is too high. The demand has dropped considerably thanks to the poor economy and the output of so many new graduates. I understand if your profession is in the gutter that going to a 2 year program would look appealing, but there are many drawbacks to getting into this field. Ultrasound (vascular, echo, OB/GYN, general) requires constant learning. Even graduating from an accredited program and passing the registry quickly, there is still a lot to learn. There is also the downside of taking call that is a constant thorn in the side of most techs. Someone that is registered and has more experience will almost always win in a job competition and that's the way it should be, right? With a large debt from ultrasound school and a poor job market, it would truly be an uphill battle. Many hospitals are cutting hours of there techs and putting a freeze on new hires, and this is also happening in Xray as well. If you must go into the healthcare profession, I'd have to recommend a job that there is a real demand for, like nursing. I would only recommend ultrasound if you really know what you're getting into and have it set in your heart that it's the absolute only thing you want to do in life. I've been working as a Sonographer for almost a decade.

Well said... and 100% accurate. I wish it were not the case, but this is reality. There is a demand for Physical Therapist, Med techs (Lab),,, and Pharmacy that looks safe as this time. To go into ultrasond at this time would be a costly error of judgement on the part of the individual doing this.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jaime in Boca Raton, Florida

58 months ago

shae8 in Brooklyn, New York said: Hello, the best answer to that is it depends what state you work in, that will determine your start out pay. Every state pays different. I know this because I have been a sonographer for ten yrs. I worked as a traveler for 8yrs. And florida does not pay all that great plus there is not a whole lot of jobs down there for sonographers.

Hi,
May I ask what a traveler is? I am getting ready to study sonography and it's all pretty new to me. Thanks, j

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

A traveler or temp is someone that takes work all over the country doing ultrasound. I am a temp. Typically, the assignments last 13 weeks. There are many, many downsides for this work but there are also advantages including increased pay and working in many different areas of the country. The economic crash has also affected this type of work, however, and pay has decreased as demand has gone downhill. This type of work is not for everybody, and should be entered carefully. Work in this temp field is not a given and, in my opinion, should not be started if a person is financially unstable.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jaime in Boca Raton, Florida

58 months ago

Hi,
Thanks so much. Does this mean that you are gone for 13 months at one time? Can I ask why you mentioned that you should be financially stable? Also, what are the advantages and disadvantages? I appreciate it. :) Jaime

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

Jaime in Boca Raton, Florida said: Hi,
Thanks so much. Does this mean that you are gone for 13 months at one time? Can I ask why you mentioned that you should be financially stable? Also, what are the advantages and disadvantages? I appreciate it. :) Jaime

13 "weeks" ... not months. If you are not yet commited to an ultrasound program... best to wait. Graduates "are not" getting jobs. If you want a clearerpicture of what I am referring to,click into any hospital web-site you can find and look at their open positions. You will only find a few per state in the entire U.S.. They will only hire experienced and registered and unless you come from an accredited program,, you can get registered but still will lack the experience factor. You are not going to land a travel position without ample time in the field anyway, after graduation. Want to make big money? Go the extra two years to a Physical Therapy school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

What kind of site is this? Who is this shmoehawk selling shoes from China? Most assignments are 13 weeks and this is because that is typically the shortest lease someone with an apartment or condo will rent for. Anything shorter than that and odds are the temp agency will try to put you in an extended stay hotel which loses it's appeal after a week. The advantages are typically increased pay and the ability to work in different areas of the country and getting the exposer to different ways of doing things. Unlike what a typical school may teach, every hospital is different in their protocols and levels of expertise, including the expectations. The disadvantages are many; first off in my experience a hospital will not need a temp unless there are serious flaws with the hospital. It may be with the pay, the full time employees, the manager, the doctors, etc. Most U/S techs I've had the pleasure of working with don't quite unless they can't take the work conditions for one reason or another, so it's a given that something will be awrye. Also, it helps to be able to negotiate and know what you're worth because every extra dollar you get is taking away from the agency's cut. Every agency I've worked for is like buying a car from a used car salesman, they are not looking out for you and will lie to get every thin dime from you and into their pockets. I don't blame them, however, it just helps to know that they are not your friend and you shouldn't think of them as such. It is a business, pure and simple, and you have to look out for yourself because no one else will. Some more disadvantages are that unless you take whatever comes available at whatever pay they offer, in this environment, you will probably be without work for many weeks or possibly months without pay in between jobs. Paid sick time and vacation? Forget about it, many places will fine you for being sick and not going into work. I could write a book that would bore you,but I've used up my space...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

cat in Boca Raton, Florida

51 months ago

Thanks for the info. I was looking into sonography bc its quick and the schools portray that there is a favorable job outlook. Damn. What I really want to go to school for is Pharmacist. I have a new baby and defaulted student loans to pay bc of a disability i have. It is tough out there but I guess I should go for what I really want.

john in Midland, Texas

47 months ago

Hello I am wanting to get into a DMS program next spring. My school is accredited and does provide built in clinical rotations. I am wanting to know if there is going to be a demand for this field? I read these forms and other studies and get two different stories. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics the job is going to rise faster than average up to 18 percent by 2018. Should I pursue a career in this field?

Thanks

tiandra in Stockton, California

44 months ago

shae8 in Brooklyn, New York said: Hello, the best answer to that is it depends what state you work in, that will determine your start out pay. Every state pays different. I know this because I have been a sonographer for ten yrs. I worked as a traveler for 8yrs. And florida does not pay all that great plus there is not a whole lot of jobs down there for sonographers.

hey can someone who has been a sonographer email me please i have questions i have to do senior project (email:tiandra.mccaskel@yahoo.com)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Unemployed RDMS in Zanesville, Ohio

44 months ago

john in Midland, Texas said: Hello I am wanting to get into a DMS program next spring. My school is accredited and does provide built in clinical rotations. I am wanting to know if there is going to be a demand for this field? I read these forms and other studies and get two different stories. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics the job is going to rise faster than average up to 18 percent by 2018. Should I pursue a career in this field?

John, there is no demand in the ultrasound field right now. It is completely saturated and even experienced techs are finding it difficult to land a job. The US BLS report is based on a healthy economy, which we do not have at this time.

If you don't care about having a job, by all means go to ultrasound school. But if you actually hope to graduate with job prospects and a degree that is worth something, please go into another field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

John

I did this for a living placing ultrasound techs for the past 12 years. I switched to Physical Therapy, which is what I would advise you to do. Last week I had a 13 year ultrasound tech begging me to help them as their current place of employment closed. I researched every hospital in ND, SD, NE, IA, MN and WI and this is accurate. There was "one" total full time opening in all states combined. There are tens of thousands who are graduating or soon to graduate (and continuos) that will not find work... because it does not, and will not exist.

Do this. Type in career builder "ultrasound technologist". You will find maybe 100 jobs nationwide. Of the 100 jobs many are bogue (staffing agencies to get you Resume) and then many are repeat listings for the same job. You'd be lucky to see 10 "NATIONWIDE" opportunities.

I have had universities that graduate ultrasound ask me if I will help their students (new grads). At first I said yes,,, and would get 60 to 80 Resumes. None of these people will work... sad to say.

Then type Physical Therapist and you will find thousands.

Hope this helps you.

ez

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

ultranewbie in Santa Fe, New Mexico

42 months ago

i guess there are downsides to both local or travel work.

I used to do x-ray travel for about 10 years. It's the same thing. You're not going to be sent to a place where they will receive you with open arms and hearts.

to be honest, i think it's worse in the ultrasound field. Recruiters keep trying to put me in places that require long hours and low pay. especially 12 hour shifts.. this way, the hospital can work you past your 8 hour physical and mental capacity without worrying about overtime. And you are still accountable to any "oversights" "mistakes" etc., regardless of how exhausted you may be.

Not only that, you're the only tech. This means, you're covering ER, inpatients, outpatients, wanders, meanderers, bedouins, anyone who just happened to stop by the hospital, and wishes to be seen at their convenience. Which means you'll be working the 3-12 hour shifts - and call for the other 12 hours that you should be sleeping. for a very low wage.

However, i did learn my lesson to not grab the first thing you see, locally. Their wages are even worse, and they will work a local tech just as hard.

I tried working at a hospital locally after relocating to NM. It's so bad here, that the moment i walked in to train with a per diem tech. She darn near ran me out of the place because i was encroaching upon "her hours"? The very hours she refused to take in the first place. which is why i was hired.

And yes.. after my arrival, she pulled a 360 and became "Yes-tech"..hours she had refused before? she gladly took. She even volunteered to take call during the week. Something she'd never done in the past.

The full time tech who was really nice at first - refused to answer my phone calls for help.

Thus, if you go locally? you have to deal with "politics" "internal war-fare", "the new kid on the block" and other clannish, primal behaviors. At least as a traveler you get to "LEAVE WHEN THE CONTRACT IS OVER"..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

regrets in Orange Park, Florida

37 months ago

You are absolutely right! its not what you know, its who you know! i owe $40,000 single mom, 5 kids and now went back to school online to live off my GI Bill, I am a young veteran I regret getting out of active duty! big mistake! and as far as working in a close area with other techs- get ready to be stabbed in the back daily! I am a great tech, i love what i do, im so great with patients, i would even move and be a personal ultrasound tech for any Dr. , but i don't have the money to relocate.. hang in there, and listen to the CEO! good luck to all!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

JGriffin in Titusville, Florida

36 months ago

I graduated from Keiser University in Melbourne FL in Dec of 2008. It's been 2 1/2 years and I can't get a job. I graduated with a 4.0GPA and I can't get a job. I'm registered with ARDMS in Abdomen and with the ARRT in sonography and I can't get a job. I have applied all over the country including Alaska and I can't get a job. I keep getting the same old story; "We want someone with more experience, we want someone with more experience" If I hear this one more time I'm going to scream! How am I supposed to get experience if no one will give me a chance?

Now...believe it or not...I am considering going back to school for...ultrasound. I am going to talk to someone at Florida Hospital College in Orlando FL. I am going to see how many (if any) of my Keiser credits will transfer and if I can get into their vascular/cardiac program because it seems like almost all of the openings out there want vascular. It's only a thought right now, I'm just considering my options but...am I insane? A friend has suggested I go back to school for RN but I know nursing just isn't for me.

Does anyone know if Florida Hospital college is a good school? Are they reputable? Do their students get hired?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ultranewbie in Idaho Falls, Idaho

36 months ago

It's getting J, i lived in a small town, and tried working, but it's a poor state, plus, there aren't that many hospitals there. Small towns usually have their jobs on "lock-down".

I, too, tried to travel, almost took a job in Fairbanks, Alaska in their mid-winter season. No dice.

I'll let you know what's really happening.

I took a job full time with benefits in a different state. Since i've been here, I've observed travelers who are always getting jobs. These travelers have "umpteen" or several decades of experience. Because of this, they pass the interview. Once they make it to a facility - well, that's a different story.

I have 4 certs under my belt. and met 2 travelers with only one - if any at all - yet because they've been in the field for a long time, they get the job. Or they know a friend of a friend.

I've observed them: "Cherry picking" exams, being more political than working, on cell phones, smoke breaks, can't find them when you need them, taking forever to do the paperwork or a portable, and what's worse, "cherry picking" on the schedule - especially when it comes to taking call or working weekends.

I'm sure all travelers are not like this in any field. I certainly wasn't like this when i was in CT. But because of "so many years of experience" - they get the jobs, and the ones that don't have enough - yet willing to bust our butts - are overlooked.

cindy in Orange Park, Florida

36 months ago

Oh my goodness I feel for you honey! that's why i said screw it and went back to school, cuz im a veteran! let me tell you something, it is so true that its not what you know, its who you know,, good luck hun! lets pray for eachother!

Melissa in Modesto, California

30 months ago

I would highly recommend sonography! I have been in the field 7 years and have NEVER had a problem getting a job. I was a traveler for 4 years and the money was great and I got to see so many great places and every place I worked for was fantastic. I even took a perm job in hawaii that began as a travel job. It all has to do with your attitude. If you have a bad attitude, then you will have negative experiences. I never had any breaks inbetween my assignments unless I asked for them. Every travel job I had, I was treated wonderful by the other techs because I am a hard worker and have a pleasant attitude. I was able to pay off my student loans and travel on many awesome vacations:)

Just my 2 cents!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

jason in TX in League City, Texas

30 months ago

I CAN TELL YOU AFTER WORKING IN THIS FIELD FOR TEN YEARS THERE WILL BE UP AND DOWNS, HIGHS AND LOWS. FOR THE MOST PART TEXAS HAS FAIRED WELL THROUGH THE RECESSION, INCLUDING THE MEDICAL/ULTRASOUND FIELD. I MUST BE HONEST;HOWEVER, I HAVE WATCHED MANY OF MY STUDENTS STRUGGLE TO FIND A JOB RECENTLY. I FEEL THE REASON FOR THIS IS THE FIELD IS CHANGING. AS MANAGER, I AM NOT ALLOWED THE TIME TO TRAIN NEW STAFF THE WAY WE COULD TEN YEARS AGO. WE USED TO HAVE A 30 DAY WINDOW.. NOW YOU HAVE 3 DAYS IF THAT! AS A NEW GRAD YOU ARE EXPECTED TO HIT THE GROUND RUNNING WHEN YOU WALK THROUGH THE DOOR. THIS HAS MADE IT HARD TO STAFF. EVEN MORE SO IF YOU HAVE A MULTIMODALITY LAB.

I HAVE MADE A VERY NICE INCOME OVER THE YEARS. EVEN REACHING SIX FIGURE MARK A FEW TIMES.HOWEVER, THE MONE IN ULTRASOUND HAS COME WITH A PRICE, AS DO ALL HIGH INCOME JOBS. FOR EXAMPLE..

1. LONG HOURS
2. DREADED WAKE-UP CALLS(2AM) CALL-OUTS.
3. SLEEPLESS NIGHTS (SHIFT WORK DISORDER)
4. WEEKENDS AND NIGHT WORK
5. LESS FAMILY TIME.

I WOULD SUGGEST DOING YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE ENTERING INTO A SONOGRAPHY PROGRAM.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

MONIQUE in Saratoga, California

30 months ago

I am a jr in high school and would like to interview an ultrasound technician if possible for a project because I am very interested in becoming one .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Curious in Melbourne, Florida

29 months ago

JGriffin in Titusville, Florida said: I graduated from Keiser University in Melbourne FL in Dec of 2008. It's been 2 1/2 years and I can't get a job. I graduated with a 4.0GPA and I can't get a job. I'm registered with ARDMS in Abdomen and with the ARRT in sonography and I can't get a job. I have applied all over the country including Alaska and I can't get a job. I keep getting the same old story; "We want someone with more experience, we want someone with more experience" If I hear this one more time I'm going to scream! How am I supposed to get experience if no one will give me a chance?

Now...believe it or not...I am considering going back to school for...ultrasound. I am going to talk to someone at Florida Hospital College in Orlando FL. I am going to see how many (if any) of my Keiser credits will transfer and if I can get into their vascular/cardiac program because it seems like almost all of the openings out there want vascular. It's only a thought right now, I'm just considering my options but...am I insane? A friend has suggested I go back to school for RN but I know nursing just isn't for me.

Does anyone know if Florida Hospital college is a good school? Are they reputable? Do their students get hired?

JGriffin, did you find out any info on Florida Hospital College?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sono519 in Portsmouth, Virginia

29 months ago

Melissa in Modesto, California said: I would highly recommend sonography! I have been in the field 7 years and have NEVER had a problem getting a job. I was a traveler for 4 years and the money was great and I got to see so many great places and every place I worked for was fantastic. I even took a perm job in hawaii that began as a travel job. It all has to do with your attitude. If you have a bad attitude, then you will have negative experiences. I never had any breaks inbetween my assignments unless I asked for them. Every travel job I had, I was treated wonderful by the other techs because I am a hard worker and have a pleasant attitude. I was able to pay off my student loans and travel on many awesome vacations:)

Just my 2 cents![/Q

Melissa,
I've been giving some thought to traveling. I have 3 years experience and am OB/GYN registered. I had a few questions, as I am leary to leave the full time job I have locally, to possibly be without work between assignments. Would you mind if I e-mailed you to ask a few questions?
Thanks, Danielle

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Sono 515 in Virginia

29 months ago

Melissa in Modesto, California said: I would highly recommend sonography! I have been in the field 7 years and have NEVER had a problem getting a job. I was a traveler for 4 years and the money was great and I got to see so many great places and every place I worked for was fantastic. I even took a perm job in hawaii that began as a travel job. It all has to do with your attitude. If you have a bad attitude, then you will have negative experiences. I never had any breaks inbetween my assignments unless I asked for them. Every travel job I had, I was treated wonderful by the other techs because I am a hard worker and have a pleasant attitude. I was able to pay off my student loans and travel on many awesome vacations:)

Just my 2 cents!

Melissa,
I've been giving some thought to traveling. I have 3 years experience and am OB/GYN registered. I had a few questions, as I am leary to leave the full time job I have locally, to possibly be without work between assignments. Would you mind if I e-mailed you to ask a few questions?
Thanks, Danielle

ultranewbie in Albuquerque, New Mexico

29 months ago

yep, i whole heartedly agree with you, Jason. I just left a job where the call was EVERY OTHER DAY.. beautiful place, but you know what? Taking call EVERY OTHER DAY is a bit too much. I also know a friend of mine who is burning out quickly because she settled for a night shift job.

There's no job out there that's peaches and cream. None. If someone out there is telling you that it's "all about your attitude?" Take one good look at them. They probably look about 20 years older than they are, and overweight - because they're willing to be dumped on, screwed over, or treated like crap. (But they have a great attitude).:)

What i HAVE noticed in the field, are the techs that look great/healthy because they have good boundaries, very savvy about the business, they are hard working, but also know how and where to work. They also have great negotiation skills, and talk to other travelers/techs.

This field is like any other. It's not only about "attitude" - it's about being smart, and knowing what your limitations are, and accepting them, or challenging them.

The other tech can keep her two cents.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

FrogginFish in Indianapolis, Indiana

26 months ago

I am wanting to go into Sonography as well but after seeing and reading all of the posts, I'm not sure anymore. Anyone from Indiana know the job prospects for Imaging Science grads??? My other choice was Respiratory Therapist.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

tara in Lemoore, California

26 months ago

Wow. I was looking into different health care fields and this forum is really eye opening. Medical sonography had a great job outlook when I looked it up. I'm surprised the job market is so terrible. I've heard that even nursing isn't good right now for new graduates.

Kari in Conroe, Texas

25 months ago

So...is it going to be possible to find a job in Houston, TX??

jason in TX in League City, Texas said: I CAN TELL YOU AFTER WORKING IN THIS FIELD FOR TEN YEARS THERE WILL BE UP AND DOWNS, HIGHS AND LOWS. FOR THE MOST PART TEXAS HAS FAIRED WELL THROUGH THE RECESSION, INCLUDING THE MEDICAL/ULTRASOUND FIELD. I MUST BE HONEST;HOWEVER, I HAVE WATCHED MANY OF MY STUDENTS STRUGGLE TO FIND A JOB RECENTLY. I FEEL THE REASON FOR THIS IS THE FIELD IS CHANGING. AS MANAGER, I AM NOT ALLOWED THE TIME TO TRAIN NEW STAFF THE WAY WE COULD TEN YEARS AGO. WE USED TO HAVE A 30 DAY WINDOW.. NOW YOU HAVE 3 DAYS IF THAT! AS A NEW GRAD YOU ARE EXPECTED TO HIT THE GROUND RUNNING WHEN YOU WALK THROUGH THE DOOR. THIS HAS MADE IT HARD TO STAFF. EVEN MORE SO IF YOU HAVE A MULTIMODALITY LAB .

I HAVE MADE A VERY NICE INCOME OVER THE YEARS. EVEN REACHING SIX FIGURE MARK A FEW TIMES.HOWEVER, THE MONE IN ULTRASOUND HAS COME WITH A PRICE, AS DO ALL HIGH INCOME JOBS. FOR EXAMPLE..

1. LONG HOURS
2. DREADED WAKE-UP CALLS(2AM) CALL-OUTS.
3. SLEEPLESS NIGHTS (SHIFT WORK DISORDER)
4. WEEKENDS AND NIGHT WORK
5. LESS FAMILY TIME.

I WOULD SUGGEST DOING YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE ENTERING INTO A SONOGRAPHY PROGRAM.

Hawk in Houston, Texas

24 months ago

I got accepted to the Sonography program at the Harris County Hospital District School of Diagnostic Medical Imaging and will be starting class in September. I was going to apply to the Sonography program at Lonestar, but decided to apply for the Hospital base program first. The exposure that we will be getting at Ben Taub and LBJ Hospital will be invaluable. I have been reading on some of the forums that one should stay away from this profession; that there are no jobs out there. I believe that in any profession that one chooses, there are no gurantees. It is up to the individual's work ethic. I am a leaving a well paying Job to get into this field. Looking forward to the challenge.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Kari in Conroe, Texas

24 months ago

Have you found a job by now??
I am thinking about going into sonography. These forums are scaring me away. It's really what I want to do though.

JGriffin in Titusville, Florida said: I graduated from Keiser University in Melbourne FL in Dec of 2008. It's been 2 1/2 years and I can't get a job. I graduated with a 4.0GPA and I can't get a job. I'm registered with ARDMS in Abdomen and with the ARRT in sonography and I can't get a job. I have applied all over the country including Alaska and I can't get a job. I keep getting the same old story; "We want someone with more experience, we want someone with more experience" If I hear this one more time I'm going to scream! How am I supposed to get experience if no one will give me a chance?

JGriffin in Twentynine Palms, California

24 months ago

Kari in Conroe, Texas said: Have you found a job by now??
I am thinking about going into sonography. These forums are scaring me away. It's really what I want to do though.

Hi Kari, I have found a job actually. It took me almost three years though and I had to move from Fl to the Middle-of-nowhere CA in the middle of the desert. I got an on-call position in the Naval Hospital on the Marine Base in 29 Palms CA. Or as the Marines call it, "29 Stumps." I work on-call nights, weekends and holidays and I'm making pretty good money right now. However they're looking to hire another tech to split the shift so then my income will be cut in half. :( Fortunately they're having trouble finding someone else desperate enough to move to the middle of nowhere for a job that's not even full time. I would say do some research on the job market in your area but keep in mind that what it is now is not necessarily what it's going to be by the time you graduate. And you may have to be willing to relocate. Even if just to another part of your state. Also, make sure you go to a school that's accredited so you can sit for your cert exams right away. Good luck. :)

Lora in La Jolla, California

24 months ago

JGriffin in Twentynine Palms, California said:
I got an on-call position in the Naval Hospital on the Marine Base in 29 Palms CA. I work on-call nights, weekends and holidays and I'm making pretty good money right now.

May I ask you what the pay rate is in CA on-call positions.

24 months ago

Lora in La Jolla, California said: May I ask you what the pay rate is in CA on-call positions.

Well I'm not really sure what the standard is but I get about $18 for on-call hours and then about $56 for time actually called in. Keep in mind it's not full time so there's no benefits and no paid time off. I do get to work out for free in a gym full of Marines though. I would consider that a benefit. ;)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

EP Bradley in San Diego, California

24 months ago

We are currently recruiting for a Permaent ultrasound Technologist for a client in Arizona.
Must be RDMS
MUST have a minimum of 2 years of experience as a staff sonographer.

Please contact info@phsradiology.com for additional information or submit your resume for immediate consideration

dlptlp in Phoenix, Arizona

24 months ago

I just read all these comments and have to agree with the ones that say go do something else. The job market is being flooded with new grads. To many low quality schools are now turning out new grads like a puppy mill. Every day I hear "I'm going to start my ultrasound program soon" I think good luck getting a job after you rack up your school bill. To many of the current and future students only want to know how much money they can make. Don't think I have heard anyone ask is it interesting or will I be making a difference in someones care. Just how much do you make. As a part of the hiring process if I hear anything about money you get filed in the round file. Good luck to any who go to school and try ultrasound as a career but keep in mind there is not much need for you right now.

24 months ago

Gladys0520 in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: HEY TO ALL!
....I REALLY WANT TO GO IN THE SONOGRAPHY FEILD BUT I WANT TO KNOW FROM SOME ONE WHO IS A SONOGRAPHER HOW THEY MADE AS A STARTER BY THE HOUR?
--THANX

Hope you did not go into ultrasound if money is all you care about. You might get a job after school and be a tech but you probably will never be a Sonographer.

Erica U in Essex County, New Jersey

24 months ago

dlptlp in Phoenix, Arizona said: Hope you did not go into ultrasound if money is all you care about. You might get a job after school and be a tech but you probably will never be a Sonographer.

Hey dlptlp,

What exactly do you mean by this statement? Just curious...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

dlptlp in Phoenix, Arizona said: Hope you did not go into ultrasound if money is all you care about. You might get a job after school and be a tech but you probably will never be a Sonographer.

Hey dlptlp,

Tdog in Palm Bay, Florida

24 months ago

JGriffin in Twentynine Palms, California said: Well I'm not really sure what the standard is but I get about $18 for on-call hours and then about $56 for time actually called in. Keep in mind it's not full time so there's no benefits and no paid time off. I do get to work out for free in a gym full of Marines though. I would consider that a benefit. ;)

Hello and congratulations from Brevard County! I would be interested to know what clinical specialty you are working as? I believe that the general sonography program here at Keiser is accredited by CAAHEP, however their vascular sonography program is not. According to my research, there are more openings for general sonography at regional hospitals compared to vascular/cardiac specialties, but echocardiography is most interesting to me. So probably, I'll end up working in a desert somewhere (and loving it) too.

24 months ago

Tdog in Palm Bay, Florida said: Hello and congratulations from Brevard County! I would be interested to know what clinical specialty you are working as? I believe that the general sonography program here at Keiser is accredited by CAAHEP, however their vascular sonography program is not. According to my research, there are more openings for general sonography at regional hospitals compared to vascular/cardiac specialties, but echocardiography is most interesting to me. So probably, I'll end up working in a desert somewhere (and loving it) too.

I'm registered in Abd and what I do at the hospital is mostly general Abd, small parts and OB/Gyn but there is some vascular as well. Quite often I get called in for lower extremity DVT. I've only had one upper extremity DVT since I've been here, thank goodness. The day tech gets both upper and lower and the occasional carotid. I noticed when I was doing my job search that a lot of places want you to be able to do both now. Even though they have a vascular program now are they still going to have the one month course on vascular in the general course? If they do and you go with that course make sure during the course of your clinicals you get at least one sight where they do vascular. I didn't get any so I'm really not very confident in vascular.

24 months ago

Erica U in Essex County, New Jersey said: Hey dlptlp,

It means I think you should want to do ultrasound because you find it interesting and want to excell and become the best sonographer you can. The people that are only in it for the pay check and only care about the hourly wage normally do not excell. They are the picture takers. Are you a sonographer?

Tdog in Palm Bay, Florida

24 months ago

JGriffin in Twentynine Palms, California said: I'm registered in Abd and what I do at the hospital is mostly general Abd, small parts and OB/Gyn but there is some vascular as well. Quite often I get called in for lower extremity DVT. I've only had one upper extremity DVT since I've been here, thank goodness. The day tech gets both upper and lower and the occasional carotid. I noticed when I was doing my job search that a lot of places want you to be able to do both now. Even though they have a vascular program now are they still going to have the one month course on vascular in the general course? If they do and you go with that course make sure during the course of your clinicals you get at least one sight where they do vascular. I didn't get any so I'm really not very confident in vascular.

Hello again, and thanks for post. I'm not sure if Keiser plans to include vascular study into their general program or not. In any case, I'm more interested in relocating to another area of Florida and attending a community college program instead. Keiser is an expensive private/for profit school and I really want to learn echo/vascular scanning. Good luck at your new job, hopefully you can get a FT day position soon!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

23 months ago

dlptlp in Phoenix, Arizona said: It means I think you should want to do ultrasound because you find it interesting and want to excell and become the best sonographer you can. The people that are only in it for the pay check and only care about the hourly wage normally do not excell. They are the picture takers. Are you a sonographer?

Oh okay. I just wanted to make sure I understood the point you were attempting to make. By definition, yes I am a sonographer. I just completed my program in August and am now preparing for the registry exams.

BeccaB in Austin, Texas

17 months ago

Hello out there,

I am very interested in the Sonography program in Austin but am a bit frightened by this post. Does anyone have any input on the job market in Austin Tx? Also, when starting out in this field [anywhere] is it inevitable that you will have to get a night job?

JWilliams in Lake Havasu City, Arizona

16 months ago

JGriffin in Twentynine Palms, California said: Hi Kari, I have found a job actually. It took me almost three years though and I had to move from Fl to the Middle-of-nowhere CA in the middle of the desert. I got an on-call position in the Naval Hospital on the Marine Base in 29 Palms CA. Or as the Marines call it, "29 Stumps." I work on-call nights, weekends and holidays and I'm making pretty good money right now. However they're looking to hire another tech to split the shift so then my income will be cut in half. :( Fortunately they're having trouble finding someone else desperate enough to move to the middle of nowhere for a job that's not even full time . I would say do some research on the job market in your area but keep in mind that what it is now is not necessarily what it's going to be by the time you graduate. And you may have to be willing to relocate. Even if just to another part of your state. Also, make sure you go to a school that's accredited so you can sit for your cert exams right away. Good luck. :)

What web site was the job listed? Do they hire civilians for full time/Part time positions in Military hospitals?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

mary in Anaheim, California

16 months ago

Just my 2 cents!

Can you please email me rgiang113@gmail.com
I have questions about the ultrasound jobs.
Thank you very much!

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.