Ultrasound

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 490)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Sandra in Spring, Texas

85 months ago

I just finished Ultrasound school in Jan. and I have not been able to find a job in Houston. The feedback I am getting is that I need to have one year experience and your clinical does not count. If no experience you must be registered. I went to a school that was not CAAHEP recognized so I would have to wait a year (working) to be able to take the registry, but I can't get a job because I don't have "experience". I really stuck! I have tried everything to get a job and no one cares!.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (72) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

df12051 in Houston, Texas

85 months ago

Sandra in Spring, Texas said: I just finished Ultrasound school in Jan. and I have not been able to find a job in Houston. The feedback I am getting is that I need to have one year experience and your clinical does not count. If no experience you must be registered. I went to a school that was not CAAHEP recognized so I would have to wait a year (working) to be able to take the registry, but I can't get a job because I don't have "experience". I really stuck! I have tried everything to get a job and no one cares!.

I am thinking of going to school for ultrasound and wnat to avoid what happened to you. What school did you attend that did not qualify you to take the registry exam.

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Star in Baytown, Texas

83 months ago

Sandra in Spring, Texas said: I just finished Ultrasound school in Jan. and I have not been able to find a job in Houston. The feedback I am getting is that I need to have one year experience and your clinical does not count. If no experience you must be registered. I went to a school that was not CAAHEP recognized so I would have to wait a year (working) to be able to take the registry, but I can't get a job because I don't have "experience". I really stuck! I have tried everything to get a job and no one cares!.

I would also like to know what school you attended, it will be very helpful since I am looking into this myself.

Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Dena in Florida in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

83 months ago

I am in the exact same boat! I just graduated last week, but I am having the same issues! No experience, no job! No job, no ARDMS in 12 months! What the heck? $35,000 on a school that didn't inform me of this crap! What can be done?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Dena in Florida in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

83 months ago

The same thing has happened to me here in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida! I just graduated, but no one wants to hire w/out experience or ARDMS, or Registry eligible! This is terrible that these schools get away with not informing us about the facts of this profession!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Star in Baytown, Texas

83 months ago

Dena in Florida in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: The same thing has happened to me here in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida! I just graduated, but no one wants to hire w/out experience or ARDMS, or Registry eligible! This is terrible that these schools get away with not informing us about the facts of this profession!

So if a school is CAAHEP accredited, we should be able to take the ARDMS???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mel

83 months ago

Star in Baytown, Texas said: So if a school is CAAHEP accredited, we should be able to take the ARDMS???

can someone answer this question...I am looking into this...would appreciate the info.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jamie in Huntington Station, New York

82 months ago

I was supposed to get hired right out of school and the hospital that I spent 6 months with, jerked me at the last second, said they were on a hiring freeze. So what I did was volunteer at another hospital untill they finally hired me. I didn't want to lose my skills, it took 3 months and it sucked, I worked somewhere else in the meantime for $. If you show them you really want the job, you went to school, you know what your doing and you just need someone to help you get your foot in the door maybe that will work. If you don't want to go that route, maybe a class action lawsuit with your classmates. What happed with them, did any of them get jobs? I am not registered and have 2 jobs now because I gained expierence. Think positive! And try to keep your hands on the probe because you don't want to lose the skills you learned. I know it sucks but you can't get the time or money back, unless you sue. So, I don't meant to sound mean but sometimes you just have to suck it up. The next problems you will face are even worse, like getting yelled at by a****** doctors and not getting good hours and being the low man on the totum pole and only getting per diem jobs and no bennefits and bodily injuries. Trust me I've been going through it for the past 2 years. I wish I did xray, but whatever, things can only get better.
hope this helped.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No Reply - Report abuse

ALBY in Oceanside, California

81 months ago

HERE IS SOME INFORMATION ON ULTRASOUND SCHOOLS AND WHAT YOU NEED TO LOOK FOR.YOUR FIRST VERY FIRST STEP IS TO GO TO "AMERICAN REGISTRY OG DIAGNOSTIC MEDICAL SONOGRAPHER" (www.ardms.org)YOU CAN FIND SCHOOLS IN YOUR AREA THAT ARE ARDMS APPROVED AND THE STAFF IS VERY HELPFUL,YOU CAN EVEN CALL AND SPEAK TO SOMEONE! I WENT TO SCHOOL ALSO HOWEVER,MY SCHOOL AND PROGRAM ARE ACCREDITED.ANYONE CAN TEACH YOU ANYTHING BUT IF THIER PROGRAM IS NOT ACCREDITED WITH THE BOARD OF ALLIED HEALTH THEN I WOULD TELL YOU TO PASS THAT SCHOOL UP!ALSO, WHEN U SIGN UP FOR SCHOOL...HERES WHAT THEY DONT TELL YOU! IN ORDER FOR YOU TO TAKE YOUR ARDMS EXAM RIGHT WHEN YOU GRADUATE YOU HAVE TO HAVE A "B.A" OR WORK FOR A YEAR AT 32+ HOURS PER WEEK...AND THAT DOES NOT INCLUDE YOUR EXTERN.MAKE SURE YOU ASK THE SCHOOL FOR ALL THIS INFORMATION BEFORE SIGNING ANY PAPER WORK BECAUSE ONCE THEY HAVE YOU STUCK THEY REALLY WONT CARE! IF YOU TRULY DO WANT TO BECOME A SONOGRAPHER IT IS BEST YOU FIND A SCHOOL THAT IS ARDMS APPPROVED AND START SOON! THE PRICES FOR ULTRASOUND SCHOOL IS GETTING WAY OUT OF HAND,THE LONGER YOU WAIT THE MORE YOULL END UP PAYING!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Michael in Darien, Illinois

81 months ago

ALBY in Oceanside, California said: HERE IS SOME INFORMATION ON ULTRASOUND SCHOOLS AND WHAT YOU NEED TO LOOK FOR.YOUR FIRST VERY FIRST STEP IS TO GO TO "AMERICAN REGISTRY OG DIAGNOSTIC MEDICAL SONOGRAPHER" ( www.ardms.org )YOU CAN FIND SCHOOLS IN YOUR AREA THAT ARE ARDMS APPROVED AND THE STAFF IS VERY HELPFUL,YOU CAN EVEN CALL AND SPEAK TO SOMEONE! I WENT TO SCHOOL ALSO HOWEVER,MY SCHOOL AND PROGRAM ARE ACCREDITED.ANYONE CAN TEACH YOU ANYTHING BUT IF THIER PROGRAM IS NOT ACCREDITED WITH THE BOARD OF ALLIED HEALTH THEN I WOULD TELL YOU TO PASS THAT SCHOOL UP!ALSO, WHEN U SIGN UP FOR SCHOOL...HERES WHAT THEY DONT TELL YOU! IN ORDER FOR YOU TO TAKE YOUR ARDMS EXAM RIGHT WHEN YOU GRADUATE YOU HAVE TO HAVE A "B.A" OR WORK FOR A YEAR AT 32+ HOURS PER WEEK...AND THAT DOES NOT INCLUDE YOUR EXTERN.MAKE SURE YOU ASK THE SCHOOL FOR ALL THIS INFORMATION BEFORE SIGNING ANY PAPER WORK BECAUSE ONCE THEY HAVE YOU STUCK THEY REALLY WONT CARE! IF YOU TRULY DO WANT TO BECOME A SONOGRAPHER IT IS BEST YOU FIND A SCHOOL THAT IS ARDMS APPPROVED AND START SOON! THE PRICES FOR ULTRASOUND SCHOOL IS GETTING WAY OUT OF HAND,THE LONGER YOU WAIT THE MORE YOULL END UP PAYING!

I'm going to school for US at a CAAHEP and ARDMS approved school here in Illinois.

Now if I understand you correctly, are saying that I am eligible to take my Registry Exam right away due to the fact that I am going to an accredited school?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ALBY in Oceanside, California

81 months ago

NO! THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN TAKE THE ARDMS RIGHT AFTER GRADUATE IS IF YOU HAVE A "B.A" OTHERWISE YOU MUST WORK A AT LEAST 32 HOURS A WEEK FOR THE FOLLOWING YEAR AND KEEP IN MIND THIS DOES NOT INCLUDE YOUR EXTERNSHIP,ONCE YOUR COMPLETED A YEAR YOU CAN TAKE YOUR EXAM.HOPE IT ALL WORKS OUT FOR YA!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jamie in Huntington Station, New York

81 months ago

Michael in Darien, Illinois said: I'm going to school for US at a CAAHEP and ARDMS approved school here in Illinois.

Now if I understand you correctly, are saying that I am eligible to take my Registry Exam right away due to the fact that I am going to an accredited school?

I went to an accredited school, don't have a batch, and was able to sit for the exam right after school ended. Our school included our internship, so I did 1 year of training in a hospital setting over the 2 years ( more or less) because it was ever other day, 1 day school, one day 8 hours in a clinical setting 5 days a week, everyday in the hospital the summer. I can only speak for myself and my school, and my state. I have no idea if any rules have changed but this was only 2 years ago. Call the ARDMS and tell them where you go and what the rules are after you complete school, they will know for sure and they are very nice people. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

AR in North Hampton, New Hampshire

81 months ago

I believe that Jamie is correct-if you go to the ARDMS website and look under exam requirements, look at Educational Prerequisites #2. It basically says that if you have graduated from an accredited program, and by doing your clinical work through the program, you can sit for the exam. Also go to the CAAHEP website for listings of accredited programs by state. So Michael sounds like you can sit for the exam just like Jamie did!

This is why everyone is harping on going to an "accredited program".....sounds like many of the previous posters went to a Sanford Brown type school.

Jamie what school did you attend? Just curious...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

jamie

81 months ago

Western Suffol Boces

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

AR in North Hampton, New Hampshire

81 months ago

jamie said: Western Suffol Boces

Did you like the school? I think it's pretty good training and the price is right too. I'm from LI originally so I know where that is.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Alby in Oceanside, California

81 months ago

Well,I really dont know bout others states and how thier rules work thats why i added the ARDMS link so everyone that was unclear on info could go check it out.All i know is that out here in cali,at least where i live thats the rules. -Peace-

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jamie in Huntington Station, New York

81 months ago

I must say, it was the hardest 2 years of my life, but I made some great frinds and I did get the right training, I am happy that I didn't get jerked like a lot of other people I am hearing about did. The price is actually double since I attended 4 years ago but it's still the best around.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

dummy in Sierra Vista, Arizona

81 months ago

I am heartbroken as well. I thought the smart thing to do would be to go for my AAS degree in DMS and get registered asap. So, I enrolled at Jackson Community College in Michigan. I took a lot of classes in Arizona where I live but the others were offered online. The school says they will work hard at securing a site but makes no promises. I did all the work at finding the right site then after paying all those out-of-state fees, I got dropped from my clinical site at the last minute because it was not made clear during negotiation of my educational agreement that I did not have ANY hands-on experience. What a waste of my time and money. This school is very deceitful. It boasts that your degree can be learned COMPLETELY on-line but truth is, unless you have the hands-on (or maybe a relative at the site!) there is a very slim chance you will finish your degree. Talk about feeling sick; I put everything I had into this and got ripped off.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mandy in San Diego, California

81 months ago

Alby in Oceanside, California said: Well,I really dont know bout others states and how thier rules work thats why i added the ARDMS link so everyone that was unclear on info could go check it out.All i know is that out here in cali,at least where i live thats the rules. -Peace-

Where in San Diego are there accredited Ultrasound Tech schools. I can't find anything local, only Los Angeles. Dont want to move away from San Diego.

Mandy in Houston, Texas

80 months ago

mel said: can someone answer this question...I am looking into this...would appreciate the info.

Yes, you can take the test the day you finish if your school is accredited. Having your RDMS is a must, but hospitals will generally hire you with the understanding you will be registered in one year. If you don't get it they will let you go.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Michael in Darien, Illinois

80 months ago

Thanks to Jamie, AR, and Alby for responding to my original question several weeks ago. I just started classes and its challenging, but im so excited!!

JAMIE in Huntington Station, New York

80 months ago

NO PROBLEM, GOOD LUCK, IT IS VERY DIFFICULT BUT HOPEFULLY YOU HAVE GOOD TEACHERS. BUY THE REVIEW BOOKS, FROM EDDLEMAN AND DAVIES, THATS USUALLLY WHERE TEST QUESTIONS COME FROM AND YOU WILL DEFINATELY NEED THEM TO STUDY FOR THE REGISTRY. HERE IF YOU NEED ME.
JAMIE

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

ar in Patchogue, New York

80 months ago

Good Luck to you...I just started this week as well, and although it looks pretty difficult at this point I believe the end result-getting a decent job- will be well worth the effort!!!

Lindsay in APO

80 months ago

I just want to clarify something. You don't HAVE to go to a CAAHEP accredited school to take the registry right away. If your school is at least a year long (and during that year you have FT clinicals) AND you have a Bachelors degree, OR 2 year allied health degree, you can take the registry right away. I know first hand, because I attended Southern Missouri Allied Health Education's DMS program (working on accred., but not there yet) and thanks to my Bachelor's degree I am already registered!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

noell in Desert Hot Springs, California

80 months ago

Let me tell you im in California and Iam being told the same!

80 months ago

Sandra, what are your other classmates doing?

Noell in Desert Hot Springs, California

80 months ago

I have been done with school for 4 months...I had an "in" with someone to hook me up with my internship...I completed that. Now there are "too many tech's" so I dont have my spot saved...bla bla bla all I know is there are alot of job's out there for this field...but they all seem untouchable! I do not have my BA and the school I attended is not accredited. I went there do to the finacial discount and the quickness of graduation. Now I am in limbo woundering what I can do? I feel I need more experience with scanning and the over all field. I am slowly forgetting all I learned. If anyone has any suggestions I am open.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

Volunteer! Read your books and notes from school, if you don't volunteer you will lose all your skills and when the time comes where you actually get an interview and they ask you to scan then what? Trust me, if you can't do it at your old school, find the hospital you want o work for and tell them you want to come in a few hours a week to keep your skills up to par and if you get in good over there, maybe they will hire you eventually, that is what happened to me. I volunteered for 3 months while I tried to get other jobs and finally they created a position for me. I started out with weekends, then got about 10 hrs per week and weekends then I started working somewhere else too, cuz once your in it's easier to get hired, and right now I am trying to get a full time position. It took me 2 years so hang in there and try to stay positive and motivated and most hospitals will not turn away free help.
Jamie

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

tamuna in Brooklyn, New York

80 months ago

please, would you tell me, where in NY are accredited ultrasound technicianshools?

AR in Patchogue, New York

80 months ago

Check out the CAAHEP website and put in NY, go to the drop down menu to choose the career you want. They will give you the accredited programs......

Some off of the top of my head- BOCES,Northport(I think it's Northport),LI, NY (aka Wilson Tech) Molloy College, Rockville Centre, LI,NY(CVT program-cardiovascular ultrasound)for this one you have to choose cardiovascular tech from the menu, not diagnostic medical ultrasound to find the name of the school, NYU in the city.....and I'm sure there are some other ones upstate.

Good Luck!

80 months ago

Tamuna......Another one is LIU in Brooklyn, they do their program through Continuing Ed. and they only focus on Vascular Ultrasound!!!Again good luck...

Jess in Webster, Indiana

80 months ago

dummy in Sierra Vista, Arizona said: I am heartbroken as well. I thought the smart thing to do would be to go for my AAS degree in DMS and get registered asap. So, I enrolled at Jackson Community College in Michigan. I took a lot of classes in Arizona where I live but the others were offered online. The school says they will work hard at securing a site but makes no promises. I did all the work at finding the right site then after paying all those out-of-state fees, I got dropped from my clinical site at the last minute because it was not made clear during negotiation of my educational agreement that I did not have ANY hands-on experience. What a waste of my time and money. This school is very deceitful. It boasts that your degree can be learned COMPLETELY on-line but truth is, unless you have the hands-on (or maybe a relative at the site!) there is a very slim chance you will finish your degree. Talk about feeling sick; I put everything I had into this and got ripped off.

I am going to this school right now and now I'm a little worried! Has anyone else had the same experience at JCC? Are you saying that JCC expects to you to have some hands-on experience before you begin clinicals? I was never told this, but I am definitely going to question it now. Thanks for the heads up!

Darlene

80 months ago

I am looking to hire an ultrasound technician for a medical clinic in Taylor Michigan. I will consider a tech just graduating from school.

80 months ago

Hi Jess,
The way it works is like this: if you're close enough to attend lab AT the school, you'll be priveledged to get some hands-on experience there. Or, if you're priveledged enough to have your site in Indiana, or elsewhere, set-up early enough then MAYBE the site will allow you to do your lab work there (good luck). If not, then you'll have a tough time finding a site that is willing to take a student who's had NO hands-on experience at all. And don't think the school will work hard to find you a site, either. They'll take your money and fill the sites that are already established with the school. If the student works hard at finding a new site and the school approves everything, just make sure the site is aware you don't have any hands-on experience (if you don't) because the school sure didn't mention that to my site and I got dumped when the hospital found out (just a few days before clinincals were to start). The school had LOTS of time to help me with this potential site but they dragged their feet and miscommunicated so much that it was obvious my well-being was not in their best interest. Taking my money sure was. Of course, there was no time to find another site once the hospital re-read the contract and realized it didn't mention anything about scan time. Just go in with your eyes wide open, Jess because although the school brags this degree can learned completely on-line, it's not really true unless you have a super wonderful site that will also teach you all the basics of scanning and knobology BEFORE your clinicals even begin. I suggest you start finding a site now if don't have one in mind because they won't do it for you. There's a lot of criteria that needs to be lined up in order for the site to be approved: number of annual scans, registrations, acrreditations, etc. And if a new site isn't approved or you aren't allowed to go to one already established then too bad, how sad, "clinical site is not guaranteed." Sorry, but it's true.

LOUDRES in Oceanside, California

80 months ago

WHAT TYPE OF TECH OR NEW GRAD ARE YOU LOOKING FOR?

SONO_TECH in California

80 months ago

Mandy in San Diego, California said: Where in San Diego are there accredited Ultrasound Tech schools. I can't find anything local, only Los Angeles. Dont want to move away from San Diego. THE ONLY ONE THAT I KNOW OF IN SAN DIEGO THAT IS ARDMS APRROVED(WHICH MEANS YOU CAN TAKE YOUR ARDMS RIGHT WHEN YOU GRADUATE) IS AT UCSD...ITS 12 MONTHS OF SCHOOL,THEY ONLY TAKE 6 STUDENTS PER CLASS YEAR AND THE COST IS 13,200 WHICH INCLUDES BOOKS AND ALL.CLASSES START IN JAN,ITS TOO LATE TO START FOR 08' BUT YOU CAN APPLY FOR 09'.IF YOU CLICK ON ARDMS.ORG AND THEN SELECTTHE TOP LINK TO FIND A SCHOOL IT WILL SHOW UCSD ON THERE.CHECK IT OUT,HOPE IT ALL WORKS OUT FOR YA!

SONO_TECH in California

80 months ago

Darlene said: I am looking to hire an ultrasound technician for a medical clinic in Taylor Michigan. I will consider a tech just graduating from school.

DARLENE,WHAT TYPE OF TECH ARE YOU LOOKING FOR? DO YOU HAVE IT POSTED ON ANY JOB SITES?

80 months ago

Ok,
I am confused,First off, how the F are you supposed to have any expierence with anything before you start a school, that makes no sence. That is the whole point of school. This job is a hands on job, you cannot learn anything except terminology and pathologies online and in books, you have to go to a clinical site. Please don't waste anymore time or money. Go to an accredited school that has clinical sites already set up for you and in 2 years ( some places less) you can sit for the registry and are eligible to work. I have 2 jobs, am not registered, yet, but plan on it, and my school had all of our sites planned out for us. Trust me, you need hands on expierence, what do you think the job intails, reading, no, it requires scanning. And you will have to volunteer your time to go and learn. Its very difficult, even if you have a machine at your school and you practice on fellow students, that will not prepare you for a hospital and seeing pathology, it will only help you see what normal looks like and people who are normal are not usually your patients. Sorry if I sound harsh but I am getting really pissed at all these schools making empty promises. And an online school is just a joke for this job. Don't get scammed get your money back or start over, you can never get back the time you will waste with this school.
Jamie

80 months ago

For the record: she's talking about Jackson Community College in Jackson, Michigan. It is accredited and it does require you complete 10 months of clinicals. The problem for the online students who don't live near Jackson is there may be NO lab experience available at all before starting clinicals unless your site also helps with the baby steps first (good luck cuz most of the techs are way too busy to slow down that much and teach the baby steps) The students who at least get lab scanning at the school have a little leg-up before starting clinicals.

Jess in Webster, Indiana

80 months ago

Thanks so much for this info. I have a site set up right now, but it hasn't been officially "approved". I am definitely going to call them on Monday and let them know that I don't have any experience and see if they're still willing to take me. So, what are you doing now? Are you trying to find another clinical site or did you transfer your credits? I was wondering how transferable these credits will be from JCC. Thanks again, I am definitely going to look into this on Monday!

80 months ago

Hi Jess,
It eases my pain to think maybe I helped a student somehow. The credits should transfer to most schools with no problem as it is an accredited college. After losing my mind for a month after my bad news, I've succumbed to shootin' for the local nursing program. At least I know there won't be a problem with clinicals (and no out-of-state fees!) Once I earn my RN, I can certificate in DMS at Gateway Community College in Phoenix. A hell of a detour but I'll get there! Not too many choices down here where I live.
When you say your site is set up, does that mean you or the school selected it? I hope all goes well for you. You CAN earn your degree through JCC if you are aware of the pitfalls and stay on the ball. If I had any idea how important the lab work was (which wasn't stressed AT ALL) hell, I would've flown to Jackson and stayed in an RV for a couple months and knocked out the labs. But instead of honesty, all I got was sunshine pumped up where it shouldn't shine. A big fat "sorry" and on to the next student like it was no big deal after all the hard, hard work, lost time and money. It was devastating but it could have been prevented if JCC really cared about the DMS students like I thought they would and had done their job properly.

80 months ago

and by the way, NO I'm not looking for another site for JCC's degree program because there wasn't enough time left to secure another site. I was just left out in the cold. And believe me when I say I was VERY proactive about getting things done and they STILL took WAY too long on their end. And if they'd done it right, I'd have my DMS degree in 9 mos. They just don't give a sh*t.

Darlene

80 months ago

SONO_TECH in California said:

I need someone who can do a 2D Echo, Carotid, and vascular dopplers in Michigan

Ines in Miami, Florida

80 months ago

I have an interview with ATI in MIAMI, FLORIDA.

I will find out details about their sonography program.

They offer a program that doesn't even require HS diploma. Don't worry, I will ask before I leap according to your comments above.

ANYONE KNOWS AN ACCREDITED SCHOOL IN MIAMI OR ANYWHER IN FL?

Sheena in Riverview, Florida

80 months ago

e across this today and thought I would sare - I am interested in go school for unltrasound and have begun researching schools and I am glad I did..... here's something interesting I found concerning certification w/ardms.

Although no State requires licensure in diagnostic medical sonography, organizations such as the American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonography (ARDMS) certify the competency of sonographers through registration. Because registration provides an independent, objective measure of an individual’s professional standing, many employers prefer to hire registered sonographers. Registration with ARDMS requires passing a general physical principles and instrumentation examination, in addition to passing an exam in a specialty such as obstetric and gynecologic sonography, abdominal sonography, or neurosonography. To keep their registration current, sonographers must complete continuing education to stay abreast of technological advances related to the occupation.

Interesting, huh!

80 months ago

i meant to say --- i came across this today - not sure what happened???

80 months ago

PLEASE HELP! I just went to the www.ardms.org website to find accredited schools in my area and cant seem to find where to go to find them?? I've been to the CAAHEP site, but was interested if the ardms site also has a list of recommended schools?

80 months ago

ARDMS and CAAHEP work together. I believe that on the ARDMS website they will direct you to CAAHEP to find the "properly" accredited programs....remember that a school can be accredited by a state or even Santa Claus for that matter but the organization who it needs to be accredited by is ultimately CAAHEP if you want to sit for the registry exams(right out of school) and not be jerked around like some other people who were told they have to work for a year before taking the exam, yada, yada, yada.....

Call someone at ARDMS if you need further clarification.....I know all of these organizations get confusing...good luck!

80 months ago

Ines in Miami, Florida said: I have an interview with ATI in MIAMI, FLORIDA.

I will find out details about their sonography program.

They offer a program that doesn't even require HS diploma. Don't worry, I will ask before I leap according to your comments above.

ANYONE KNOWS AN ACCREDITED SCHOOL IN MIAMI OR ANYWHER IN FL?

For anyone checking out ATI in Miami-please do a goggle search for the Rip Off Report and read what one former student had to say about ATI/Miami, once you get to the rip off site type in ATI.....Good luck....

Ines in Miami, Florida

80 months ago

I was expecting something like this to surface.

I am 35 years old and I don't want to wase time or money.

I have already found the accredited places in Miami, two local community colleges...that have too many prerequisites...appart from the regular ones.

Keiser College is the other only option around and they charge $ 6,600 per semester...total: $ 39,000

Is this accredited program so expensive in your areas?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.