Thinking of becoming a Sonographer. Any advice?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 181)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Sheena in Raleigh, North Carolina

69 months ago

I am dying to know the answers to these questions too. I am leaving teaching after a long battle with, "What do I want to do with my life" syndrome. I anticipate applying for the program NEXT fall.

I am scared to make the move to another profession, particularly since my current one turned out to be such a disaster. It makes me scared that I will hate every other job I will encounter.

I will be observing soon, but would love to know from people on this board what THEY FEEL about their jobs as sonographers!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (46) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

paperspray in Huntsville, Texas

69 months ago

Hey Sheena, don't you feel like everyone in America deals with this?? I refuse to "settle" in a job that pays the bills!

Yes, please...anyone tell us your thoughts!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Sheena in Cary, North Carolina

69 months ago

I am sure everyone feels that way! I want something better than what I already have, but the fear of unknown is what truly scares me. I truly can't imagine being anymore miserable in my profession that I am now, but I know there is worse out there...I just can't risk taking another bad career move!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

NUNU2MICKEY in Taylor, Michigan

69 months ago

CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT PROGRAM IS ULTRASOUND TECHNICIAN FALL UNDER I LIVE IN MICHIGAN AND EVERYTIME I TRY TO LOOK IT UP AT A COMMUNITY COLLEGE OR UNIVERSITIES NOTHING COMES UP THIS IS SOMETHING THAT I FEEL I'LL LOVE DOING.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

NewToEverything in Cary, North Carolina

68 months ago

NUNU2MICKEY in Taylor, Michigan said: CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT PROGRAM IS ULTRASOUND TECHNICIAN FALL UNDER I LIVE IN MICHIGAN AND EVERYTIME I TRY TO LOOK IT UP AT A COMMUNITY COLLEGE OR UNIVERSITIES NOTHING COMES UP THIS IS SOMETHING THAT I FEEL I'LL LOVE DOING.

Are you applying for a BS or Associates program? Please visit CAAHEPs website (www.caahep.org/), then look at "accredited programs." You should be able to find a school that way...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Tries in Dallas, Texas

68 months ago

It all depends on the doctor that you work for. Some are wonder and some only know who
to yell and belittle!

A typical day you will have scheduled patients and will have work ins ( this is in a hosp or clinic). You have one on one time with the patient- you will be the only one with them during the exam.
Perks of an office? No holidays, weekends, call, or vent pts!
Cons of office? Usually tge only tech, other duties besides what tou went to school for, and lack of acute pathologies.

Echo/vascular is my fav but im also registered im general. It is best to be a "super tech" esp. With all the layoffs.

Umm... I forgot your other questions

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Kaitlin in Taylor, Michigan

50 months ago

NUNU2MICKEY in Taylor, Michigan said: CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT PROGRAM IS ULTRASOUND TECHNICIAN FALL UNDER I LIVE IN MICHIGAN AND EVERYTIME I TRY TO LOOK IT UP AT A COMMUNITY COLLEGE OR UNIVERSITIES NOTHING COMES UP THIS IS SOMETHING THAT I FEEL I'LL LOVE DOING.

Did you ever find one?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

SJS in Huntsville, Texas

50 months ago

SJS in Huntsville, Texas said: I am trying to find out the same info.i am a health major psych minor and sam houston state university and I have recently developed an interest in sonography.I know that is what I want to do but qith me having a bachelor in a couple of months I am so confused about what to do from here. Lonestar (cyfair location) is the closest accredited schoool to my area.SBI is also accredited but after researching info about that school i am not sure about going there, and besides theya re very expensive!I would love to just get my certificate instead of spending time getting an associates because that means more money, and after earning my bachelors I am no longer qualified for financial aide.

sorry about all my errors, I was rushing to type this message!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

TLo in Ionia, Michigan

49 months ago

Kaitlin in Taylor, Michigan said: I'm trying to find schools around taylor michigan for this program and cannot seem to find any!! If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated!

Hello! You might look into Lansing Community College. The only reason I suggest this is that they have accreditation and they have a clinical site in Taylor. So even if you have to drive to Lansing once a week for class at least you will be near your clinical site.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

angie in Rochester, Michigan

49 months ago

Kaitlin in Taylor, Michigan said: I'm trying to find schools around taylor michigan for this program and cannot seem to find any!! If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated!

I am going to Jackson Community College and u can take all the classes online before the clincials! They have a lot of different sites to choose from plus they offer general, vascular or cardio!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

echo tech in Lucerne, California

48 months ago

hello? This is my first time on this forum an I love my job as an echocardiographer. I,m typically give 1 hr per pt. 8 to 10 studies a day at an office setting but they usually only take 15 mins, the pay is great. Only go to an accredited school becauce it will be difficult to get a job; unless you have a "hook up". I consider it a very unique profession that most people haven't the slightest idea about. If anybody has any questions please e-mail me and I,ll get into the details. P.S. I hope this remark was posted.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (89) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

anewcomb03 in Groton, Connecticut

47 months ago

echo tech in Lucerne, California said: hello? This is my first time on this forum an I love my job as an echocardiographer. I,m typically give 1 hr per pt. 8 to 10 studies a day at an office setting but they usually only take 15 mins, the pay is great. Only go to an accredited school becauce it will be difficult to get a job; unless you have a "hook up". I consider it a very unique profession that most people haven't the slightest idea about. If anybody has any questions please e-mail me and I,ll get into the details. P.S. I hope this remark was posted.

I really want to go back to school and have waited for my husband to be done for the last couple years. He finished in August and now I would like to go. I want to be a sonographer and only have about 30 hrs. under my belt from my first year and a half in college but it has been about 10 years since I have been to school. I am not sure where to start but I have been set on doing this for over 2 years. I am a military spouse and really need to find out where to start. DO i just need to find a program and get in. Please give me any tips or advice you can. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Phouphet30 in Saint Petersburg, Florida

47 months ago

anewcomb03 in Groton, Connecticut said: I really want to go back to school and have waited for my husband to be done for the last couple years. He finished in August and now I would like to go. I want to be a sonographer and only have about 30 hrs. under my belt from my first year and a half in college but it has been about 10 years since I have been to school. I am not sure where to start but I have been set on doing this for over 2 years. I am a military spouse and really need to find out where to start. DO i just need to find a program and get in. Please give me any tips or advice you can. Thanks.

Hello, my advice is go for something else. Even though it can be a rewarding career but it is so satuated. I would recommend going for nursing, there is always a need. It is hard dinding a job as a sonographer. Hospitals, Dr.'s office,clinics and Mobile companys want experiece even if you are register. Maybe you will get lucky and find a place that will hire new grads. I have been searching for almost a yr and still no luck but if being a sonographer is you passion then I say go for it. Good Luck!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

arie2010 in Taylor, Michigan

47 months ago

anewcomb03 in Groton, Connecticut said: I really want to go back to school and have waited for my husband to be done for the last couple years. He finished in August and now I would like to go. I want to be a sonographer and only have about 30 hrs. under my belt from my first year and a half in college but it has been about 10 years since I have been to school. I am not sure where to start but I have been set on doing this for over 2 years. I am a military spouse and really need to find out where to start. DO i just need to find a program and get in. Please give me any tips or advice you can. Thanks.

If you decide to go back to school DO NOT go for sonography I graduated in 2008 and I just recieved a job offer last summer (2010) my advice would be to go for nursing or Xray.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

hello in Gurnee, Illinois

47 months ago

arie2010 in Taylor, Michigan said: If you decide to go back to school DO NOT go for sonography I graduated in 2008 and I just recieved a job offer last summer (2010) my advice would be to go for nursing or Xray.

It's not just sonographers that are having difficulty finding jobs...x-ray techs AND nurses are having a hard time finding work in this economy....especially new grads!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No Reply - Report abuse

Gramace Nine in Sacramento, California

47 months ago

hello in Gurnee, Illinois said: It's not just sonographers that are having difficulty finding jobs...x-ray techs AND nurses are having a hard time finding work in this economy....especially new grads!

Exactly! THe x-ray field is so saturated, and there seems to be a nursing school on every corner of town-New grads are having such a hard time getting hired. I would say, even is this economy, no job is for certain.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jvc in Merced, California

47 months ago

Thanks for posting. Did you go to a school for echo or did you learn on the job and get certified. I am attending an accredited school for General but they do teach echo, although no certificate. Would love to hear from you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

Sorry, I was asking Echo Tech in Lucerne Calif.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

echo tech in Mira Loma, California

47 months ago

jvc in Merced, California said: Sorry, I was asking Echo Tech in Lucerne Calif.

I went an accredited school that only teaches vascular and ech.each modality is one year. Often you will see sonographers 40+yrs of age in the field with stable jobs. They sat for seminar for a day or two, or watched another tech for about a week and consider themselves sonographers( they are called " Old School"). I do not belive in this becauce there are so graduates who spent a lot of time, money and sacrifice to actually learn the proper way. J.O.A.P. will cause all the Old School to get laid off because insurance companies won't pay for the test unless the tech is the real deal

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

echo tech in Mira Loma, California

47 months ago

Iif your school is acredited then you should be able to sit for the registry exam,(such will basically be mandatory in the future----2 or 3 yrs. Forgive my bad typing. I'm actually driving back from l.a. your school should explain all of this unless they are hiding something. Nobody will now if they will get a job.but we all have to take a chance. I plan on going back to school for vascular but first I have to downsize my lifestyle,move etc to save up money to live on for one year. The G.I.Bill from the military will pay my tuition. I,m in a small little town in north california with no hope of every having a family so I,ll probably be leaving I n 1 year back to Mobile,Alabama.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Tiffany in Minneapolis, Minnesota

47 months ago

Gramace Nine in Sacramento, California said: Exactly! THe x-ray field is so saturated, and there seems to be a nursing school on every corner of town-New grads are having such a hard time getting hired. I would say, even is this economy, no job is for certain.

Are there any jobs that are still in demand?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

echo tech in Mira Loma, California said: Iif your school is acredited then you should be able to sit for the registry exam,(such will basically be mandatory in the future----2 or 3 yrs. Forgive my bad typing. I'm actually driving back from l.a. your school should explain all of this unless they are hiding something. Nobody will now if they will get a job.but we all have to take a chance. I plan on going back to school for vascular but first I have to downsize my lifestyle,move etc to save up money to live on for one year. The G.I.Bill from the military will pay my tuition. I,m in a small little town in north california with no hope of every having a family so I,ll probably be leaving I n 1 year back to Mobile,Alabama.

Thanks echo and good luck to you. I am familiar with Lucerne. It is a beautiful area but very small.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

KimK

47 months ago

I am a writer for a website that is focused on health care occupations. We are seeking to interview people who is actually trained as an ultrasound technician and who currently works in the field. My client feels as some of you do here that it is helpful to really know what this profession is like.

I am also seeking to interview a surgical technician who is currently working in Florida.

The questions are very general and the only reason you would need to identify yourself to me is if you were to want a small gift from my client for your time. I would expect the interview process to be about 40 minutes maximum. Please contact me via email at KStewart6@gmail.com. I will provide more information if you are interested. I interview by telephone.

Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

spbiskup in Clarkston, Michigan

46 months ago

I will say if you are thinking abouut sonography don't do it. The job sucks if you can even find on. I have been doing it for four years and am sick and tired of it already.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (24) Reply - Report abuse

Moowie3 in Santee, California

46 months ago

echo tech in Lucerne, California said: hello? This is my first time on this forum an I love my job as an echocardiographer. I,m typically give 1 hr per pt. 8 to 10 studies a day at an office setting but they usually only take 15 mins, the pay is great. Only go to an accredited school becauce it will be difficult to get a job; unless you have a "hook up". I consider it a very unique profession that most people haven't the slightest idea about. If anybody has any questions please e-mail me and I,ll get into the details. P.S. I hope this remark was posted.

I live in San Diego, California and I am very interested in becoming an ultrasonic tech. I'm having trouble finding an accredited school for this specific study. Do you know of any schools? I would like to start off with an Associates degree, then maybe later on get my BA. Hopefully you can reply back. Also, the different types of sonography would help me out.

Thank you.

echo tech in Fremont, California

46 months ago

The school I went to was "cardiac and Vascular institute of ultrasound" it is located in Mobile,Alabama. The prerequisites were 62 credit he's+ plus interview with the dean Dr.Hooper. I would not go for general ultrasound. That is kinda like being a jack of all trades but master of nothing. Just keep looking online for a good schools then go online and look for somebody needing a roomate and relocate becauce you will have to anyways to get employment. Its a great job but they are far and few between. I,m only working 2 days a week but I get full benefits due to cutbacks so I,m going to probably get my cdl license and become a driver just for the heck of it. To have extra money. Gotta do what I have to do to survive

ab_love in Battle Creek, Michigan

44 months ago

I go to Ferris State Univerity and they have a great program. Very knowledgable professors and lots of scanning time. Its very challenging but I love it. I would recommend ferris over any other college in MI for sono.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

KelsyCreek in Bellevue, Washington

43 months ago

Hello everyone.

There are some mixed reviews on here!! I am currently in an Ultrasound program and will answer the first post as best I can.

What is the typical day like?
From what I understand the "typical day" varies from site to site (hospital site vs clinical site). Depending on how busy your site is, and what specialty you choose, you could work an 8-12 hour shift with anywhere from 20 minute to hour long appointments.

What is the schedule? Can you work a full 40 in 3 or 4 days? What about overtime/on-call?
Again - this depends on what type of setting you choose, a hospital (open 24 hours) would obviously have more flexibility.

What specialty makes the most money? I think that I would like to go into cardiac as that seems to interest me the most. But are the job prospects slim for that? What specialty has the most opportunity?
For Echo - there are less jobs, but in general less echocardiographers so that's a tricky question to answer. Echo is a very technical field and you have to really enjoy a highly detail oriented work environment.

Can I specialize in more than 1 area? Or is that something I can conquer down the road?
You can - but usually there is so much to know about one field most people just stick to one area, echo, vascular, or general.

Because I have a B.A., can I just go for the accredited certificate or will I need to do the 1.5 year Associates?
What ever you do - go to an accredited program.

Is an accredited online degree a bad decision?
YES - I would be really surprised if those exist. How would you get the clinical experience you need to graduate?

What level of patient interaction do you have?
A high level! Your job is to document anatomy - and make sure you are welcoming, receptive, etc.

Do you need to interpret the results or does the doctor do that?
You will work for a Radiologist that will interpret the findings.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (51) / No Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

What is working with the doctors like? Is it like any other job?
You will mostly work for a Radiologist. Since they have to sign off on everything you do, they can be very critical of your work, but I don't see how that's different from any other boss.

What is the stress level like?
It depends, as a student, clinical student, and new sonographer I think the stress level is high because there is a lot of information to learn, and it takes awhile to build up your technical scanning skills.

What are the positive/negatives of working in a private practice as opposed to a hospital?
Not sure yet! I know that hospitals do have more flexible hours - they're open all night and the weekends too. :)

What is working in a hospital like? What type of person is best for that environment?
I've heard working in a hospital straight away is good for new techs so they can see the most pathology and they can usually get a job that other more senior sonographers don's want - like nights and weekends.

Any and all help would be great.
Let me know if you have any other questions! Don't be discouraged!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (64) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mimi in Syosset, New York

39 months ago

Radiology- Allied Health

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Diane in Hollywood, Florida

38 months ago

I am attending a Medical Sonography program in Ft.Lauderdale, Fl right now. I was wondering if I will ever be able to find a job in this economy. I am going for general (specializing in breast or OBGYN) but think about venturing on to get certified in Vascular as well. Would I be ok either way? Are the job prospects better for a paticular general specialty, or all the same. What are the perks of a hospital or doctors office? which pays better?
I was originally considering nursing, but decided it is not for me. Is Sonography extremely stressful? Do you encounter many who hate their jobs?
Thanks for your time, I know there are alot of questions here!
Diane

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

tara in Atlanta, Georgia

38 months ago

spbiskup in Clarkston, Michigan said: I will say if you are thinking abouut sonography don't do it. The job sucks if you can even find on. I have been doing it for four years and am sick and tired of it already.

I did vascular ultrasound for 10 years. And I have to agree with you about getting sick of it. Out of the two states I worked, Texas was the worst. You were not compensated well for call basically abused. At one hospital I was the only tech and I had to do all the ERs, inpatients and outpatients. The scheduling department were morons. They would schedule me patients every hour on the hour. Ummmm so that leaves how much time to do inpatients and bring my machine to their room or bring my machine to the er. Then again worked in Georgia with numerous other techs in the department and it was not bad. Compensated better for call as well even though I still didn't love it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

angelic in Los Angeles, California

38 months ago

Have you heard of WCIU school in Beverly Hills CA. I was thinking about going there but they are not accredidtion with CAAHEP.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

BRITT in Kalispell, Montana

37 months ago

jACKSON COMMUNITY COLLEGE IN KACKSON mICHIGAN

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

hmadden12 in College Station, Texas

37 months ago

KelsyCreek or anyone else who knows about the field - I'm an allied health major at Texas A&M university and have been considering either diagnostic sonography or nursing for years now. How is the job market for sonography, are people able to find jobs? I know you won't be able to tell us exactly, but in your experience what do you think? Thanks a lot!

Oh, what schools have you guys attended for those of you who are from Texas? Extra advice is welcome as well!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Chelsey in Renton, Washington

32 months ago

Hello! I would love to get into detail with you about your job! I have an interview with Bellevue College and if it goes well I will be accepted into their program. I want this so much!! Any information you could give me about the field would be great! I would email you but I dont have your email address

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

32 months ago

KelsyCreek in Bellevue, Washington said: What is working with the doctors like? Is it like any other job?
You will mostly work for a Radiologist. Since they have to sign off on everything you do, they can be very critical of your work, but I don't see how that's different from any other boss.

What is the stress level like?
It depends, as a student, clinical student, and new sonographer I think the stress level is high because there is a lot of information to learn, and it takes awhile to build up your technical scanning skills.

What are the positive/negatives of working in a private practice as opposed to a hospital?
Not sure yet! I know that hospitals do have more flexible hours - they're open all night and the weekends too. :)

What is working in a hospital like? What type of person is best for that environment?
I've heard working in a hospital straight away is good for new techs so they can see the most pathology and they can usually get a job that other more senior sonographers don's want - like nights and weekends.

Any and all help would be great.
Let me know if you have any other questions! Don't be discouraged!

Hello! Thank you for providing so much information! I am guessing that you attend Bellevue College. I have an interview there on Thursday and I am stressing out about it. Any advice?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

32 months ago

I can't speak on nursing.... but I'll give it a shot as far as US goes. The job market is tricky... With most accredited programs you attend a year of classes and labs on campus. The second year of the program is comprised of two aprox. 6 month internships. We were told to view the internships as a 6 month job interview. If you're a good fit for the site, and someone quits, gets sick, has a baby (whatever) then you would obviously be someone they'd call first to get a job. That's one of the benefits of the program you choose having a good recommendation in the community - usually your professors will try and get you to a site they think will benefit you the most personally. Does that help?

hmadden12 in College Station, Texas said: KelsyCreek or anyone else who knows about the field - I'm an allied health major at Texas A&M university and have been considering either diagnostic sonography or nursing for years now. How is the job market for sonography, are people able to find jobs? I know you won't be able to tell us exactly, but in your experience what do you think? Thanks a lot!

Oh, what schools have you guys attended for those of you who are from Texas? Extra advice is welcome as well!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

32 months ago

Chelsey,
Congratulations! You're past the first hurdle - it's not easy so pat yourself on the back! I am a senior this year in the program. :)

Advice: Dress nicely (business attire) - a suit wouldn't hurt if you've got one. If not, dress slacks, or a knee length skirt etc. would be great too. Make sure you feel comfortable in what you're wearing, you'll be more confident. Go over some basic job interview questions like, "describe a difficult situation you've had at work and how you handled it" just to get your brain geared up. The interview is not unlike a regular job interview. The most important thing is to be confident, and be yourself. This is a way for them to see what type of a person you are and how you think on your feet. Stay positive and you'll do great!

Good luck!

Chelsey in Renton, Washington said: Hello! Thank you for providing so much information! I am guessing that you attend Bellevue College. I have an interview there on Thursday and I am stressing out about it. Any advice?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

32 months ago

Thank you very much! I appreciate the advice and words of encouragement :)

KelsyCreek in Bellevue, Washington said: Chelsey,
Congratulations! You're past the first hurdle - it's not easy so pat yourself on the back! I am a senior this year in the program. :)

Advice: Dress nicely (business attire) - a suit wouldn't hurt if you've got one. If not, dress slacks, or a knee length skirt etc. would be great too. Make sure you feel comfortable in what you're wearing, you'll be more confident. Go over some basic job interview questions like, "describe a difficult situation you've had at work and how you handled it" just to get your brain geared up. The interview is not unlike a regular job interview. The most important thing is to be confident, and be yourself. This is a way for them to see what type of a person you are and how you think on your feet. Stay positive and you'll do great!

Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

32 months ago

KelsyCreek in Bellevue, Washington said: Chelsey,

Good luck!

Thank you for the advice and words of encouragement! I really appreciate it :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

iMedical in Stockton, California

32 months ago

SO CONFUSED!!
I graduated with a BS in Applied Mathematics and would like to get into a Sonography program. Do I really have to work in a hospital setting for a year or more to be qualified for the program?? I'll be finished with my pre-requisites after this summer,BUT with NO hospital setting experience. How long would I need to be working/volunteering in a hospital setting to be qualified. I mean, could I just volunteer at a hospital setting for at least 7 months? Please help me before I send in my Sonography program application and application fees.
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

32 months ago

iMedical -

What program specifically are you applying for? Bellevue college has a point system break down which is defined on their web site. There are many factors that go into the amount of points you have when applying - such as writing strength, grades, and experience. To answer your specific concerns- volunteering (no matter the amount of hours) might be worth 1 point, whereas working in a medical setting could be worth 2 points, finally experienced work in a related field (like x-ray) could be worth 3 points. See how that works?

I would recommend calling someone at the school you're interested in applying to, and ask them if they have a point system and how it works. Another thing to weigh in on is if you gain points each time you apply. At Bellevue, you gain a point each year you applied and didn't get in. For example, the first year I applied - I didn't get in. After getting my non-acceptance letter I applied to a bunch of different medical offices and finally got a records position. The next year when I applied I had an additional three points added to my application (1 for the previous application the year before, and 2 for work in a medical setting).

So basically if you really want this - it's worth applying this year even if you don't have medical work experience. If you have the same experience I did, you might get in the second or third application. Some people in my class got in after their 3rd or 4th try.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

32 months ago

Chelsey - how did it go today? :)

Chelsey in Renton, Washington said: Thank you for the advice and words of encouragement! I really appreciate it :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

canales in Clemmons, North Carolina

32 months ago

what is your email address?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

jerilyn in Essex, Connecticut

31 months ago

to all the sonographers out there who are unhappy: WHY are you unhappy? What would you do differently? Is it job burnout? anyone in CT out there?...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Amanda in Reno, Nevada

30 months ago

jerilyn in Essex, Connecticut said: to all the sonographers out there who are unhappy: WHY are you unhappy? What would you do differently? Is it job burnout? anyone in CT out there?...

I'm unhappy because hospitals take advantage of Sonographers. We are always so short staffed and doing the job of 3 people, I had to move across the country away from my family just to find a full time job, and we are not compensated well at all for what we do... that is for work or call.
What would I do differently? I would have never went into Ultrasound in the first place! CT, General X-ray, MRI, Nursing... thats where it's at. I'm currently going back to school for a much better career, where I'm respected.

People think our career is some fun thing, where we get to scan babies all day long but it's much more than that (exposed to body fluid and vaginal blood, getting vomitted on, peed on ect). We do Scrotal Ultrasounds, Vascular ones, Abdomen, Thyroid, OB and Vaginal Ultrasounds, and Rectal Ultrasounds for Prostate scans. The stress alone takes a big toll on you and the honeymoon phase of the job burns out fast. Take it from me... DO NOT GO INTO THIS FIELD.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Amanda in Reno, Nevada

30 months ago

I'm unhappy because hospitals take advantage of Sonographers. We are always so short staffed and doing the job of 3 people, I had to move across the country away from my family just to find a full time job, and we are not compensated well at all for what we do... that is for work or call.
What would I do differently? I would have never went into Ultrasound in the first place! CT, General X-ray, MRI, Nursing... thats where it's at. I'm currently going back to school for a much better career, where I'm respected.

People think our career is some fun thing, where we get to scan babies all day long but it's much more than that (exposed to body fluid and vaginal blood, getting vomitted on, peed on ect). We do Scrotal Ultrasounds, Vascular ones, Abdomen, Thyroid, OB and Vaginal Ultrasounds, and Rectal Ultrasounds for Prostate scans. The stress alone takes a big toll on you and the honeymoon phase of the job burns out fast. Take it from me... DO NOT GO INTO THIS FIELD.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

neelu, in Los Angeles, California

30 months ago

hi, im new to this forum ,i wanted to know if echographer has good job outlook and which college do u suggest to join in california

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

maritza in Hawthorne, California

30 months ago

Hi I noticed you lived in California . I am interested in emailing you because I have a lot of questions. I am currently attending Santa Ana college and I want to get accredited for sonography. Thanks your help would be much appreciated

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.