Sanford Brown College in Cleveland, OH

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 263)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Mel in Akron, Ohio

76 months ago

Hello everyone. I have a question about Sanford Brown...the one closest to me, in Cleveland, comes up as an accredited site on the CAAHEP and ARDMS sites. They are also starting up an AAS degree for Radiography. It seems to me...that maybe not all Sanford Browns are created equal, nor are all of them accredited. Would this be a good school to consider, since they do seem to have all of the proper accredidation for their programs? They are also switching from Sanford Brown Institute to Sanford Brown College, since the addition of their Associate of Applied Science in Radiography degree. Is there anyone who has attened this particular SB, and could give me some info on the school and their success in finding a job after graduation? I would very much appreciate any feedback.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Tami in Cleveland, Ohio

71 months ago

I was accepted into the SBC Cleveland's DMS program but opted out for a few reasons: I want to pursue a degree, the cost of the program was unnecessarily high, and there are no ARDMS prerequisites that allow me to sit for the exam immediately upon graduation (not enough clinical experience at graduation time) even though SBC told me otherwise. I did not trust their integrity.

I know nothing about the Radiography program, so I'm of little use there. Just check them out thoroughly. I've heard a few good things about them, so do your homework and don't get blindsighted. Just make sure you'd really be able to sit for a licensing exam upon graduation. That's where they lost me.

I am now getting ready to begin a four-year program for DMS. I am blessed to have a scool nearby that offers it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

M in Akron, Ohio

71 months ago

Hi Tami. Thanks for the input. I opted for a two year degree at a reputable community college that is accredited in all of their ultrasound specialties and I am finishing my pre-req's now. I am hoping to start the formal program next Fall. Good luck with your program!

BTW...you mentioned you were attending a 4 year program. Where is that? The only one I could find was Kent State Salem, and that was just way too far for me to drive.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tami in Cleveland, Ohio

71 months ago

Hey, Mel- that's the one! It's not too bad of a drive for me (it's less than my drive would have been to SBC, so that's a plus). KSU's four-year program is not accredited yet, but under ARDMS pre-req 3B, a bachelor's in Sonography need not be (whew!).

I am still in my program pre-req phase right now too.

Good luck with your education. I am glad to see someone doing the research too. I think we'll be better off because of it. I'm kind of glad neither of us did SBC- I on't want to unfairly portray them as bad guys, but I just wasn't confident they were completely truthful. But I HAVE heard success stories out of there. Success stories with a $34,000 bill.

Maybe I'll see you in the workforce down the road!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mel in Akron, Ohio

71 months ago

I kind of figured you were going to Kent State. Their program may not be accredited yet, but as anyone knows, Kent State carries a heck of a reputation (I live 5 minutes from the main campus in Kent), so I am sure that they are working on their accreditation as we speak! Kent State Salem would have been an hour long drive for me, so that was just too much. I am going to Tri-C and working on getting into their Sonography program. I am going to specialize in Vascular. I am on my very last pre-req...Physics! Ugh! If I can make it through this semester, I will be done, and I just have to wait and see when the next opening is available. I am hoping for Fall 2009.

Most community colleges and universities are the places you want to go....not the "franchise" schools like SBC. I have heard of a very few who have had positive experiences at SBC, but the majority have been very negative.

Good luck to you too! The course work will be tough, but we will be that much better for it when we get out into the workforce. We will have the clinical and course work hours needed that we would never have gotten at SBC.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Tami in Cleveland, Ohio

71 months ago

I agree with you completely. And very smart of you to pursue Vascular.

I want to pursue Echocardiography, to be honest. For now, though, I plan to learn abdominal and OB/GYN, but mainly because of lack of options. As Salem is from you, Tri-C is also an hour from me. Salem's not close either, but closer, and only my core-cirriculum will be there. I will take my liberal education requirement courses here in Warren, once I officially transfer to Kent State (I'm fulltime at YSU right now knocking out some general ed, but working with KSU's sonography program director).

But, I know down the road I'll need more of a challenge, so I'll probably retrain into Echo.

You are correct in that Kent is currently working to get their accreditation right now. I'd be very excited to have a bachelor's from there. Goodness, I pray this all works out. I'm hoping for a Fall '10 entry. I still have a lot of pre-reqs to take (this program requires what's equivalent to three years' worth) so I'll be working hard on it! I have over 100 credit hours to transfer because of military service, and mostly get elective credit for them all. So, I'll be a senior for like three years, lol.

I'll be honest, you have been a breath of fresh air. You obviously also care about having all the facts. Not to prolong the discussion, but what brought you to this career choice?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mel in Akron, Ohio

71 months ago

You sound like me! I plan to start in Vascular, but I would also like to become boarded in General/Abdominal. Because, as we all know, the more specialties you are boarded in, the more lucrative you become!

How did I choose ultrasound? I currently work in a hospital during administraitive work, which I loathe! So, I knew I wanted to do something in the clinical area, but I knew that I did not want to be a nurse! So, I started looking into all of the medical programs Tri-C has (they have a ton!), and I decided on ultrasound because it sounded interesting, and also because it is not so invasive. I knew I would not want to do nursing or nuclear medicine because I hate working with needles. Ultrasound will provide the satisfaction and challenge I am looking for, without me having to do anything too invasive on a patient.

I know it seems like that you will be working on pre-req's forever, but don't give up!! I am a mother to two girls, and this is my second degree I am working on. ( I have a business degree also). I am only able to go to school part time, and I have been working on my pre-req's since 2004! I did end up taking a year off from school last year, but I needed it and I am glad that I did. Anything worth having takes time and it will be worth it in the end.

So, basically, for the last 4 years, I have been working on my classes, and just trying to stay up to date on the changes in Ultrasound and coming to forums like this to network with people such as yourself. You seem to have a good head on your shoulders, and I know that you will go far!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tami in Cleveland, Ohio

71 months ago

Thanks for the kind words Mel! And yes, anything worth having requires work, and that is what makes it so satisfying in the end.

I know you'll do well in this field. I can just tell. I think I will too. I am a prior military weather forecaster (of all things!). Weather is a big hobby of mine and I still do some volunteer stuff with it, but I'm pursuing something new with my veteran's education benefits. The healthcare arena is always growing and in demand (unlike weather forecasters. I'm like you- no nursing please! In weather, I was always really good at radar and satellite image interpretation, and was good at understanding Doppler theory and radar operation. I felt I'd have a good grasp of some of the U/S basics then.

I don't have any medical eucation yet but can't wait!

Gotta go get that 10 month old son of mine, so good luck and take care! So nice chatting with you, and I just have a feeling you're going to excel at this stuff. Wishing you the best with your daughters and your future career!

Mel in Akron, Ohio

71 months ago

Thank you...you are very sweet!

Wow...weather forecasting...that's really interesting! You will do so well in ultrasound with that kind of background. Physics should be a breeze for you! I have really struggled with it....this is my second time taking it....I hope I pass!

You are right...the healthcare field is always growing and will always be in demand. I think you made the right choice! Plus, I had heard that in the next few years, they are going to require a Bachelor's in US, so you are definately going to the right school!

Awww...10 months...that is such a fun age! Time goes so quickly....cherish every moment with your precious little boy. My girls are 7 and 11 already....I don't know where the time went!

Good luck! I know you will do very well! It was so nice talking to you! Let's try to stay in touch...I'd like to you know how you do in your future classes!

CUTIE in Cleveland, Ohio

71 months ago

HELLO I ATTENDED SANFORD BROWN INSTITUTE AND I HAD A GOOD EXPERIENCE. I OPTED FOR SANFORD BROWM BECAUSE THEY DID NOT HAVE A WAITING LIST, UNLIKE OTHER PLACES THAT HAD 2 YEAR WAITING LIST. IT WAS ALSO CLOSE TO MY HOUSE. I OBTAINED A JOB 1 MOS AFTER GRADUATING FORM THIS SCHOOL. I ALREADY HAVE AN ASSOCIATE DEGREE SO THAT PART DID NOT MATTER TO ME. I PASSED MY BOARDS ON THE FIRST TRY. IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS LET ME KNOW...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

M in Stow, Ohio

71 months ago

Hi there. It's good to see another side from someone who went there. I opted not to go to SB not only because of the overwhelming cost of their tuition, but mostly because the majority of the comments about them were so negative. Tami and I had heard of some success stories like yours, but have to admit, that they were few and far in between. I am on my last pre-req at a local community college, so I am going to stay put where I am. They do have a waiting list also, but I am hoping to get into the program next fall. Were you able to sit for your boards yet? I was wondering how that went for you. Are you working in a hospital setting? Private clinic? Thanks for letting me know about your experience. I love to talk to people about their experiences and get an idea of how they like the field once they are already "out there". Let me know what you think of your job. Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mz. Co-Co in Cleveland, Ohio

71 months ago

Hi Cutie! I am going throught the admissions process for Sanford Brown Cleveland right now and I'm a little hesitant because of the horror stories as well. Are you able to sit for the boards immediately upon graduation or do you have to work first? Are the instructors any good? How many people in your class actually made it through the program and are working? I know I asked a lot of questions but I want to make sure I don't spend 34,000 for no reason

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

CUTIE in Cleveland, Ohio

71 months ago

HELLO,
Yes, you can sit for your boards immediately after graduating. SBI is an accredited CAHAPP(sp) college. This means you can sit for boards after graduating. You can also go to the ARDMS website to see all the different criteria to sit for boards. We started with 30 and about 12 of us made it but we all got jobs after graduating. it's a tough program though...Let me know if you need anything else:))

Mz. Co Co in Cleveland, Ohio

71 months ago

Thanks for the help. I am scheduled to take the CPAT in a few weeks. Is that a hard test? The rep gace me the website to study but the website doesn't seem very specific to the test. I am really excited and looking forward to starting there program. If you have any other info I should know please tell me. I want to be well prepared when I start. Thanks

CHristina in Northbrook, Illinois

71 months ago

Mel in Akron!! I am from Akron and looking into Radiography. Whats that program like at Tri C, I am thinking of applying. I will have to do all pre reqs still but is it tough? Is it seem pretty doable as long as your a good studen? Any 'low down' would be awesome as I am a little nervous about it.

Mel in Akron, Ohio

71 months ago

Hi Christina! Tri-C is an AWESOME school with a great reputation! I think you would really like their Radiography program. I am currently trying to get into the Ultrasound program, but I am also on the list for the Radiography program, so I just have to decide which one I want to do. The Radiography program is very doable and I have not had any problem with the pre-req's for the Radiography program. I am, however, having trouble with my Physics pre-req for Ultrasound. Don't be nervous at all...the school is great and they really care about how you do. Let me know if you have any questions and good luck! I'll be happy to help with any information that you need!

Christine-a in akron, Ohio

71 months ago

(New Name... apparently I highjacked Christina..oops!) Okay so apparently I have some serious researching to do! I really in the end want to do Ultrasounds in the OBGYN area, Im in love with that occupation and have wanted to pursue it for a while but I didnt want to go to Salem nor was I sure about the Akron U/Children hospital program. I am going to pick your brain a lot. My first question would be why you didnt choose the Akron U/Children Hospital program? I was concerned with the limited information on it and the limited yearly addmittance.
Does Tri-C ultrasound programs seem extremely tough to get into? I am planning on working my tail off but I would like to know what I am up against :)Im prepared to work for it. Okay and lastly (for now, hehe) is going full time how long do you think it would take to knock out those Pre Reqs? Agh... if only you could start in the program!

Mel in Akron, Ohio

71 months ago

It's funny...I work at Akron Children's, but when I started Tri-C, my intent was to do the Ultrasound program, so I started there. I only applied to the Radiography program as a back up. Besides...Tri-C is a fraction of the cost compared to Akron U. I get tuition assistance from my employer, so my money goes a lot farther at Tri-C. Plus, Tri-C has the largest selection of quality healthcare programs to choose from. The Tri-C Ultrasound program is not tough to get into, there are just a lot of pre-req's. But, if you work hard, and can concentrate just on your schooling, you should be able to finish the pre-req's in a year or so. I have to work, so I can only take one class at a time, so it has taken me longer. The toughest class, by far, is the Physics class. This is my second time taking it, and I am working my hardest to pass it. I had to withdraw my first time around. Physics is not a class you can slack off on.

Also, don't get discouraged on the waiting list. People drop off all the time. I am not sure what the wait is right now. Some programs, you get right in, some, you have to wait a year or two. The Radiography program at Tri-C has two start times in the year, so that is good.

I don't mind answering your questions, I am glad to help. Keep your fingers crossed that I can pass this Physics class. It's my last pre-req, and I just want to be done already!

Ohio Student in Warren, Ohio

71 months ago

This is Tami from the previous posts above. I have a question for Cutie in Cleveland, who attended SBC Cleveland.
You stated that you were eligible to sit for your exams shortly after graduation, although ARDMS prerequisite 1 states, "If you are using your DMS program for the educational requirement, you still have to document an additional 12 months of clinical ultrasound/vascular experience earned outside the two-year program".
In my opinion, this isn't what I consider "shortly", and it is definitely not immediately, as SBC implied it would be. (Although if you possess any bachelor's degree prior to this program, you'd fall under prereq 3A, which I believe would allow you to sit for registry exams immediately upon graduating SBC. But let's face it, the vast majority of SBC alumni are not bachelor's degree holders). In that regard, SBC Cleveland was dishonest. They even gave me a packet of paper for their DMS program that states on one page that I'd be eligible to sit for ARDMS exams immediately upon graduating.
However, you obviously had a pretty good experience. I was hoping for a bit more detail about what you faced out there, if you are comfortable sharing it (I myself am just curious at this point, but many others would benefit from it). I found it risky to begin an expensive program in hopes that my clinical site would hire me on prior to passing my boards, because if they didn't (or couldn't), who would? You apparently were able to pull it off, but it seems against the odds, as open positions require ARDMS registered applicants.

And, hi Mel!

71 months ago

Mz. CoCo in Cleveland- the CPAT is not too difficult, but that depends on what you're good at. I personally had no issues answering the reading/writing portions correctly without studying, but found myself happy to have brushed up a bit on math prior to the test.

I'd suggest you find some websites that help you do that. There are word problems that are algebraic in nature and they shouldn't be taken lightly.

As for being well-prepared and informed, make sure you understand what routes you'll be likely taking after graduation in regards to registration exams and employment. Visit www.ardms.org/downloads/Prerequisite_Chart.pdf to make sure you'll be falling under one of these prerequisites. Good luck and let us know how it all works out for you.

Mel in Akron, Ohio

71 months ago

Hi Tami!!

As always, I am impressed by your wealth of knowledge on the subject.

How is everything going? My physics class is HARD!

71 months ago

Mel in Akron, Ohio said: Hi Tami!!

As always, I am impressed by your wealth of knowledge on the subject.

How is everything going? My physics class is HARD!

Hey Mel! I am trying so hard to be prepared for my future in Sonography. One thing my Dad taught me, "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is". One thing that sounds too good to be true is attending an 18 month program, earn a certificate (not a degree), be eligible for boards (as if you'd know enough to pass them), and then get a job that pays $50,000 right away.

It's just all a bit too much for me to trust after reading all of the inconsistencies between Sanford Brown and ARDMS/CAAHEP/CHEA. Not to mention the $34,000 pricetag if you ending up not finding work because you were underqualified!

Anyhow, good to "see" you again! Good luck with your Physics- ugh, that subject is not my favorite either. Hopefully you have an instructor that isn't too difficult to follow! Wishing you the best!

Mel in Akron, Ohio

71 months ago

I agree! I have heard too many horror stories about SBC to even think about trusting them with my money and education. I never did trust those "franchise" schools!

My instructor is very difficult to follow and the content is extrememly hard. But, I can only do the best that I can! I am not giving up!

Keep me posted on how school is going for you! It will all be worth it in the end!

71 months ago

Mel in Akron, Ohio said: I agree! I have heard too many horror stories about SBC to even think about trusting them with my money and education. I never did trust those "franchise" schools!

My instructor is very difficult to follow and the content is extrememly hard. But, I can only do the best that I can! I am not giving up!

Keep me posted on how school is going for you! It will all be worth it in the end!

By the way, school's going great on this end. Next semester will be a bit more tricky for me, so I am enjoying the easier schedule I have right now. And you have the right attitude toward Physics- just try, try, try! You'll get it. You'll pass it.

I wanted to make mention that some schools offer bachelor programs to "piggyback" an AAS Rad Tech degree. For instance, KSU Salem offers MRI and CT Scan, but you must be a registered Rad Tech to gain acceptance into the program. Might be a good reason to pursue the Radiography versus the Sonography. I know Salem isn't a good option for you right now, but there may be other programs closer to you. Radiography seems to open some doors. If it was feasible for me, I'd look harder at it myself. I think MRI would be neat. Less hands-on, but really neat. Heck- all of it fascinates me, I guess.

71 months ago

By the way- anyone who had questions about Sanford Brown should read this forum all of the way through (mainly page 2) for some valuable info from a Sanford Brown grad:

www.indeed.com/forum/job/ultrasound-technician/05390c183c137e1f75704405/05390c183c137e1e72704a0718#c438839

Just to help you make smart decisions! Be informed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mel in Akron, Ohio

71 months ago

What do you have next semester that will be tricky?? I did see that Salem offered additional training in MRI and CT. I think the only thing piggyback that Tri-C has is Mammography. I am definately glad that I am already on the list for the Radiography program, because if I can't pass this Physics class, I'll just sit until I can get into the x-ray program. Then, if I go that route, I did consider getting boarded in additional specialties such as MRI/CT. The more modalities you are boarded in, the more lucrative you become. It never hurts to take on more than one specialty!

71 months ago

Yes, it never hurts- and it would be so much fun to learn the different ways to see into a human body! Sounds like your plan is on track no matter what, so even if you missed out on Sonography, you have a pretty good future ahead of you (and a bit more exciting in some regards!).

Mammography would be neat, too, but I'd feel so bad being responsible for the discomfort of thousands of women every year.......

Next semester will have me schooling more days out of the week (right now I am only at 3 days- even at full time because I'm at class all day Saturday), and you have kids so you understand how tricky that can get. I'm more worried about the kids than anything (2 1/2 year old and 10 month old). I will have to take some harder classes too. Because of the credits I DO have, the ones I DON'T have are ones that would be tough to take during the same semester (I need Chemistry, Biology, and Physics). Ugh. We shall see........

Mary in Palm Harbor, Florida

71 months ago

All I know is the one they have in Florida SUCKS big time, I went there and they were very snotty, not to mention very very expensive, they tried to convince me to take another course, So I left, I suggest you check your local junior college before going there. I have been ripped off so much from private schools that now I am in debt with school loans. So I am trying to help other peopel not to make the same mistake I did. Good luck, hope this helped. Also check on the web for reviews on this school and see what they say. I wish I had done my homework better before picking a private college. I had a friend go to Sanford Brown in Florida, not enough room here to tell you how much she hated them.

Mel in Akron, Ohio said: Hello everyone. I have a question about Sanford Brown...the one closest to me, in Cleveland, comes up as an accredited site on the CAAHEP and ARDMS sites. They are also starting up an AAS degree for Radiography. It seems to me...that maybe not all Sanford Browns are created equal, nor are all of them accredited. Would this be a good school to consider, since they do seem to have all of the proper accredidation for their programs? They are also switching from Sanford Brown Institute to Sanford Brown College, since the addition of their Associate of Applied Science in Radiography degree. Is there anyone who has attened this particular SB, and could give me some info on the school and their success in finding a job after graduation? I would very much appreciate any feedback.

Mel in Akron, Ohio

71 months ago

Ohio Student in Warren, Ohio said: Yes, it never hurts- and it would be so much fun to learn the different ways to see into a human body! Sounds like your plan is on track no matter what, so even if you missed out on Sonography, you have a pretty good future ahead of you (and a bit more exciting in some regards!).

Mammography would be neat, too, but I'd feel so bad being responsible for the discomfort of thousands of women every year.......

Next semester will have me schooling more days out of the week (right now I am only at 3 days- even at full time because I'm at class all day Saturday), and you have kids so you understand how tricky that can get. I'm more worried about the kids than anything (2 1/2 year old and 10 month old). I will have to take some harder classes too. Because of the credits I DO have, the ones I DON'T have are ones that would be tough to take during the same semester (I need Chemistry, Biology, and Physics). Ugh. We shall see........

Actually, you are going to school at the right time. It's better to go when your kids are really young. As long as you have a good support system who can help you watch your kids, you will be fine! I suffered with that guilt too. When I got my first degree, my oldest at the time was 2 years old. It will help you out in the end. You are setting a good example for your kids and you are making a better life for them.

3 classes is a lot! My class this semester is all day on Sunday (!), so I know how you feel! I only go once a week, but I work Monday-Friday, so Saturday is really my only day off. I feel your pain!

Chemistry and Biology aren't so bad...but I will warn you...Physics stinks! There is no way to make it better! LOL.

billy talton in Jefferson City, Missouri

70 months ago

i would like information nursing

billy talton in Jefferson City, Missouri

70 months ago

i would like information on nursing

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sexy Tonya N. in Akron, Ohio

70 months ago

CUTIE in Cleveland, Ohio said: HELLO I ATTENDED SANFORD BROWN INSTITUTE AND I HAD A GOOD EXPERIENCE. I OPTED FOR SANFORD BROWM BECAUSE THEY DID NOT HAVE A WAITING LIST, UNLIKE OTHER PLACES THAT HAD 2 YEAR WAITING LIST. IT WAS ALSO CLOSE TO MY HOUSE. I OBTAINED A JOB 1 MOS AFTER GRADUATING FORM THIS SCHOOL. I ALREADY HAVE AN ASSOCIATE DEGREE SO THAT PART DID NOT MATTER TO ME. I PASSED MY BOARDS ON THE FIRST TRY. IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS LET ME KNOW...
cutie in cleveland, Im glad to here that you had a good experience at sanford. I have a interview on 9-17-08 with them. I am very excited and cannot wait to get to get started. What advice can you give me. I work here in akron ohio at a major hospital and about 85 to 90% of our sonographers graduated from sanford brown with the ardms license. One of the girls is a traveling sonographer so she is very much paid big time. I see me doing that for real. give me some tips and some advice cutie Thank you. Sexy Tonya N.

Mz. Co-Co in Cleveland, Ohio

70 months ago

Ms. Cutie in Cleveland, I have already had my interview with Sanford Brown and I am scheduled to go back for the CPAT. How soon after you graduated did you sit for ARDMS? I wanted to know because it doesn't look like graduating from there school will alllow you to sit for certification immediately.

Christine-a in akron, Ohio

70 months ago

Tonya,

Have you prices SB yet? I have been researching a lot of the schools and heard they run in the 30k's for tuition, is this true?

70 months ago

Christine-a in akron, Ohio said: Tonya,

Have you prices SB yet? I have been researching a lot of the schools and heard they run in the 30k's for tuition, is this true?

Christine A Hello how are you? I will find out more about the program on 9-17-08. I go talk to an advisor there. I Heard that they are expensive also,but hey hopfully they have a good program going on. And besides ALL schools are going crazy with there prices. Just think when its all done you will be paid nicely plus there is so much you can do with this career.Tri-c college have a 3to4 year waiting list and so does kent in salem,ohio. Who want to wait that long to get in a program? not me,and thats for sure. I have lots and lots of questions to ask them so i should have alot of info that we both will need.I will let you know how it goes. See ya.

Mz. CoCo in Cleveland, Ohio

70 months ago

Hi Christine and Sexy Tonya,
I had the chance to meet with an admissions rep at Sanford Brown in Middleburg a few weeks ago and I got quite a bit of info about their program. First of all, you're right. It is a little over $34,000. It a year and a half and there are a few prerequisites. You have to have some college credit and a certain amount has to be in either math or science or a combination of both. Then they have an entrance examination. I also talked to financial aide and heard that even with the maximum amount of aide, you will still be left with about $6,000 to pay out of pocket. I also found out that you are able to sit for ARDMS immediately after graduation. It seems to be an ok program to attend. I plan on attending in January so if you decide to go, See ya then!

70 months ago

Mz. CoCo in Cleveland, Ohio said: Hi Christine and Sexy Tonya,
I had the chance to meet with an admissions rep at Sanford Brown in Middleburg a few weeks ago and I got quite a bit of info about their program. First of all, you're right. It is a little over $34,000. It a year and a half and there are a few prerequisites. You have to have some college credit and a certain amount has to be in either math or science or a combination of both. Then they have an entrance examination. I also talked to financial aide and heard that even with the maximum amount of aide, you will still be left with about $6,000 to pay out of pocket. I also found out that you are able to sit for ARDMS immediately after graduation. It seems to be an ok program to attend. I plan on attending in January so if you decide to go, See ya then!
Hey Mz coco. Did you get any loans? I know I will have to.What is this cpat test about? what if a person doesnt pass it then what? I have some math from when I went to akron U years ago. Did you talk to any of the students there? and if so what did they say about the program. I cannot wait until I go up there wednesday I have alot of questions myself. thanks alot coco hope to see you at school. maybe we can help each other with the physics "UG UG UG" it suppose to be hard."OH BOY" see ya!

70 months ago

Tonya in Akron! Yes, I will have to use the maximum amount of grants and loans. Most of what you take out is going to be loans because there is only so much grant money available. I know one of the financial aide reps so she was able to tell me. When I went school wasn't in session so I didn't get to talk to the students. I did get to meet a few of the teachers and I also went on a tour. The school seems really nice. The rep gave me a website to use to review for the CPAT. It's just a standardized test. I hear it's nothing serious. You do have to get a minimum score though. Yea, I'm nervous about the physics too! I have a friend who majored in physics in college so I will be calling on him a lot... Also, the rep seemed truthful. She told me that the program is very challenging but the last class that graduated had 100% job placement. That was good to hear. When you go to meet with the rep, you should take your transcripts with you so that he/she can look at them. I was able to save a trip by taking mine to the first meeting. Now all I have to do is take the CPAT and I believe there is a $75 application fee if you pass. Let me know if you have anymore questions

70 months ago

Mz. CoCo in Cleveland, Ohio said: Tonya in Akron! Yes, I will have to use the maximum amount of grants and loans. Most of what you take out is going to be loans because there is only so much grant money available. I know one of the financial aide reps so she was able to tell me. When I went school wasn't in session so I didn't get to talk to the students. I did get to meet a few of the teachers and I also went on a tour. The school seems really nice. The rep gave me a website to use to review for the CPAT. It's just a standardized test. I hear it's nothing serious. You do have to get a minimum score though. Yea, I'm nervous about the physics too! I have a friend who majored in physics in college so I will be calling on him a lot... Also, the rep seemed truthful. She told me that the program is very challenging but the last class that graduated had 100% job placement. That was good to hear. When you go to meet with the rep, you should take your transcripts with you so that he/she can look at them. I was able to save a trip by taking mine to the first meeting. Now all I have to do is take the CPAT and I believe there is a $75 application fee if you pass. Let me know if you have anymore questions

CoCo Its a 75$ fee? That is absolutely ridiculous. They are trying to get paid to the maximum. "Oh well". What about the 25$ application fee? That should be apart of all fees. Thats crazy. Ido have my transcript from akron u.So when is the start date for january? I stay here in akron,so im kind of nervous about that 40 minute drive in the winter,especially on the highway and during rush hour. alot of the girls here at city hospital went there, the only complaint was the price. I talk to one sonographer today and she said she didnt like there teaching. She said she had to learn a lot on her own. I told my supervisor and some of the nurses in the ccu unit and they told me not to pay that no attention just go and find out for myself. Thanx for your help CoCo.

70 months ago

Yes. I agree. You should go and find out. Everyone's experience is very different. I live a pretty good ways from the school as well. I stay in up near 271 South so that's quite a drive for me as well but I think it may be worth the sacrifice for 16 months. Besides, the last 6 months are clinicals anyway so you may be a little closer to home. I think the $75 app fee is included in your financial aide. And if most of the people you work with went there and they turned out ok, it can't be all that bad. I think the start date is closer to the middle or the end of January if I'm not mistaken. My advice to you is, go to the interview with an open mind. You will get as much out of the program as you put into it. Let me know if you decide to go. It will be nice to know someone before class starts. Also, ask if you can meet with financial aide to see what you will be eligible for.

want to switch careers.. in Tallmadge, Ohio

70 months ago

Hello,

I received my B.S. from KSU this past May in Speech Pathology. I'm currently looking into Sonography programs in the Akron/Cleveland area. Has anyone graduated from KSU Salem's bachlor program? How long of a waitlist is there to get into the program? Is it worth going to Kent rather than SB... I've been looking into SB because I'd be done quickly but would it really be worth it? help!

70 months ago

Want to switch careers in Tallmadge, I don't know much about Kent's Sonography program but I do know quite a bit about SB Cleveland. I already have a Degree too so I understand not wanting to go back for another one. SB is a diploma program that last 16-18 months. It is CAAHEP accredited so you will be able to sit for ARDMS upon graduation. The cost is $34,000 I think. The good thing about them is they have no waiting list as opposed to most degree programs which usually have about a 2-4 year wait. As far as it being worth it, you should give them a call and set up an interview with an admissions rep and take a tour of the school and ask as many questions as you can. The lady I met with was very helpful and seemed pretty honest. I am looking to attend SB in January, so if you decide to go I'll see ya then.

Terry in Surprise, Arizona

70 months ago

How hard is learning ultrasound??? From reading these posts it seems like the physics part is hard but what about the actual ultrasound part of it?? How much studying is involved??? For all the current ultrasound technologists, what was your college gpa??? Is learning ultrasound harder than respiratory therapy or nursing??? I am really interested in pursuing this as a career however I am gonna be real with myself and not waste money or time if its too hard. My current college gpa is a 3.0 and I havent took any science classes yet

70 months ago

Tonya in Akron??? How did your meeting go with the SB rep on the 17th? I'm anxious to find out what they told you. I want to see if they are giving everyone the same info...LOL... Please fill me in

70 months ago

Mz. CoCo in Cleveland, Ohio said: Tonya in Akron??? How did your meeting go with the SB rep on the 17th? I'm anxious to find out what they told you. I want to see if they are giving everyone the same info...LOL... Please fill me in
Hey coco. Whats up. girl sanford Brown is not even in my vocabulary. If you know what I mean. First off she told me I had to take medical assisting first since i didnt have enough credits. That is $13,710. Once completed then I go into the ultrasound program thats $34,490. Girlfriend they are nuts I mean really nuts.They credits dont transfer to colleges so that would be a waste if I wanted to futher my education. I wont do it. So Im going to go to tri-c and get my 7 prerequisites out the way and then apply for the program there. They are waaaaaaay waaaaay cheaper than that sanford brown. CoCo by you having a degree you should really think about appplying to tri-c, altman hospital in canton,ohio. Mercy medical hospital in canton and also kent in salem ohio for they ultrasound program. Thats what im going to do when I get these 7 out of the way Im going to apply at all of those places. Someone is going to accept me. sanford is just out of there mind. So im going to get started in january at Tri-c. Write me back and tell me what you think. See ya... I mean write you later. Tonya.

70 months ago

TONYA!!! Yea, I totally understand. I know quite a few people who Sanford Brown put through there Medical Assisting program first. I told them that was not an option and that she needed to tell me the best way to go through without having to waste all that extra money. I don't know who you met with but you don't have to go through that program first. You can get your credits from tri c and any other college. I got a few of mine from tri c, I just had them send my transcripts over. I have been having second thoughts about going also. I also applied to nursing school for January and it looks like I may get in so Sanford Brown is only a backup for me. Your plan sounds great and also sounds a heck of alot cheaper than 34,000 so GO FOR IT!!!! And now that you mention it, I will definitely look into those other programs. LOL....I'm glad you didn't fall into that trap

70 months ago

Mz. CoCo in Cleveland, Ohio said: TONYA!!! Yea, I totally understand. I know quite a few people who Sanford Brown put through there Medical Assisting program first. I told them that was not an option and that she needed to tell me the best way to go through without having to waste all that extra money. I don't know who you met with but you don't have to go through that program first. You can get your credits from tri c and any other college. I got a few of mine from tri c, I just had them send my transcripts over. I have been having second thoughts about going also. I also applied to nursing school for January and it looks like I may get in so Sanford Brown is only a backup for me. Your plan sounds great and also sounds a heck of alot cheaper than 34,000 so GO FOR IT!!!! And now that you mention it, I will definitely look into those other programs. LOL....I'm glad you didn't fall into that trap
Hey CoCo. Yeah girlfriend,Im not going to set myself up to be very very very pissed off.Im better off taking my chances at the other well known respectable schools for real. sanford would have been right, but they are just to much for me. I all ready have a Akron U loan. $47,ooo, heck i might as well go into being a doctor for that price. The lady name at sanford was Toni markiewicz she was so hyper and rushy through the whole interview. she made me feel like she didnt care about me she just wanted me to hurry and say yes and agree to every thing she was saying. She acting like a sales person at a dealer ship. trying to sell me some garbage. She even wanted me to fill out my financial aid there. Im like Im not doing that now Im not Even sure if I want to go here in October. I told her there are some things I need to take care of as far as my daughter pre-k school. I pay for her school so I need to find out since my days would be short will my rate for her school go down. That was not her concern I could see that. So forget them. Think about it Coco????

70 months ago

TONYA!!! Yes mam... they are trained to be sales people. I met with a lady named Suzanne Peters and she was great. She took her time and answered all of my questions. If you already have a degree all you need is to have the 6 credits in either math or science. I don't know if she told you that. Sometimes those reps have no idea what they're talking about. I have a degree in criminal justice and I took math as a gen ed and I just happened to have a biology class along with a lab from tri c so I was good. I'm sorry you got a bad representative. And if you didn't have the 6 credits inmath/science all you have to do is go and take a few math or science class to get 6 credits. That's they way Suzanne explained it to me. She made it seem easy. They are crazy if they think that people are going to pay 13,000 and then turn around and pay 34,0000 when you can go and take classes at community college for alot cheaper...Good luck girl

Natalie Bergan in Avon Lake, Ohio

69 months ago

Mz. Co-Co in Cleveland, Ohio said: Hi Cutie! I am going throught the admissions process for Sanford Brown Cleveland right now and I'm a little hesitant because of the horror stories as well. Are you able to sit for the boards immediately upon graduation or do you have to work first? Are the instructors any good? How many people in your class actually made it through the program and are working? I know I asked a lot of questions but I want to make sure I don't spend 34,000 for no reason

Hey! I actually attend SBC for medical assisting right now and will graduate in June, I don't think I will be going there for Sonography just because of the cost, but i absolutely LOVE the teachers and everything there. I have had no complaints whatsoever. I have met wonderful friends and developed great relationships with the teachers.

charlotte in Orange, California

69 months ago

Mel in Akron, Ohio said: Hello everyone. I have a question about Sanford Brown...the one closest to me, in Cleveland, comes up as an accredited site on the CAAHEP and ARDMS sites. They are also starting up an AAS degree for Radiography. It seems to me...that maybe not all Sanford Browns are created equal, nor are all of them accredited. Would this be a good school to consider, since they do seem to have all of the proper accredidation for their programs? They are also switching from Sanford Brown Institute to Sanford Brown College, since the addition of their Associate of Applied Science in Radiography degree. Is there anyone who has attened this particular SB, and could give me some info on the school and their success in finding a job after graduation? I would very much appreciate any feedback.

I have found many jobs...I started small and this last job, I was recruited and am making a very healthy salary, plus the relocation bonus and sign on bonuses were tremendous! I loved going to school at the cleveland location. Dr. Agustin was the best teacher I could ask for! I def. recommend this school to anyone! - charlotte

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.