Medical Sonography job outlook HELP!!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

Jessturner in Eau Claire, Wisconsin

14 months ago

I am writing for my wife who is on the waiting list in WI for the DMS program. Now with hearing all the scares about this job, I am worried for her. But she is in love with this career and has been all about it for about 3 years now. About 6 years ago she was going to school to become a PA but after marriage and two children she has changed her mind with that. Now I think that a PA should be alot easier to find a job, but again she loves the idea of sonography.

Now we are planning on moving for her career. We prefer the west coast like Seattle or Portland or even Cali or Hawaii. Now my question is are the job prospects very low throughout the country, or is there hope if your willing to travel. Her school is accredited but it is only a 2 year program. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mantaray in New York, New York

14 months ago

I would think that any position looking for someone to relocate will most likely be a rural area that is far from the schools. Most major cities and more desirable places to live seem to have a lot a schools and a lot of sonographers available. I know it's really hard to get a handle on the job market in this field, just try to talk to someone in your local hospital or cardiology office if you can.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

14 months ago

Mantaray in New York, New York said: I would think that any position looking for someone to relocate will most likely be a rural area that is far from the schools. Most major cities and more desirable places to live seem to have a lot a schools and a lot of sonographers available. I know it's really hard to get a handle on the job market in this field, just try to talk to someone in your local hospital or cardiology office if you can.

Thanks for the input! We were thinking of Portland kinda for that reason. It doesn't look like Oregon has any accredited schools at all so we thought that would be a good place to find a job for her. Plus Oregon is beautiful, so that is a plus. But she was also thinking about getting her degree in medical lab tech as well, that way if dms does'nt work out she's got something to fall back on.

Is there anyone out there that has seen the job prospects specifically on the west coast for ultrasound?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Hobo2012 in California

14 months ago

Job prospects are not good. The best bet to get a job is your clinical sites and people who know you. In this field you move to whoever will hire you. It doesn't work the other way around. Perhaps after many years of experience you may be able to pick where you want to go. You'll need a couple years experience just to be barely competitive. Even after that there are still tons of techs.

But anything is possible. The key is to have hookups. People at the sites you want to work in who will get you in and beat the hundreds upon hundreds of resumes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Roger in Oakland, California

14 months ago

Jessturner in Eau Claire, Wisconsin said: Thanks for the input! We were thinking of Portland kinda for that reason. It doesn't look like Oregon has any accredited schools at all so we thought that would be a good place to find a job for her. Plus Oregon is beautiful, so that is a plus. But she was also thinking about getting her degree in medical lab tech as well, that way if dms does'nt work out she's got something to fall back on.

Is there anyone out there that has seen the job prospects specifically on the west coast for ultrasound?

Oregon Institute of Technology has an ultrasound program. Before you try and get a job in Oregon, make sure she is registered. A couple years back, Oregon passed a law that if you do ultrasound, you need to be registered if you work in an ICAEL lab.

Applying online is hit or miss (mostly miss from my experience) because many places hire and forget to retract job postings. Resumes also get filtered out to what the criteria is set (experience, registries).

You might have to take a couple days and visit these places and hand out resumes. You could contact each hospital and speak to a manager or a senior technologist.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

14 months ago

Thanks everyone for the feedback. My wife is trying to decide what the best option is. Since she is on a waitlist anyway, she might do medical lab tech or surg tech while shes waiting and then still go for sonography, that way shes got something else to fall back on, or maybe get into a hospital as a tech of some kind and hope to get into a sonography position once her foots in the door at that clinic/hospital. She is also thinking about going back for the p.a. program since that was her first goal anyway. Shes got alot to think about, but she'll do good, she is a smart and tough cookie! Thanks again for the input.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.