Are there different types of ultrasound specialties to study or just one?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

Tonijz00 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

19 months ago

Are there different types of ultrasound specialties to study or just one?
Hello, I am very interested and excited about becoming an Ultrasound Technician {Diagnostic Medical Sonographer}. This would be a career change for me so I am trying to research as much as possible about this before I start school; I want to know what I am getting into and if it’s in demand in my state. I have learned a lot but still have just a few questions that are still unclear to me:

When I first looked into this as a potential major I thought that you would just learn the human body and ultrasound imaging and scan people according to what they needed {such as breast, abdominal, scrotum, heart, etc} but it is now my understanding that there are different specialties to study for. What are all of the specialties?

I looked it up but all I found was:
•Obstetrics and Gynecology Ultrasound {Ob/Gyn}
•Vascular Ultrasound
•Cardiac Ultrasound

- Are there others or was it all summed up to just these 3?
- What are the differences?
- {dumb question alert ->} If I go to an accredited school and say I want to major in cardiac ultrasound does this mean if there are job openings for vascular or even OB/Gyn I’m not considered qualified for them {just cardiac}?
- {another dumb question} There are only 2 accredited schools in my city {none are accredited online} and next to the school/class it says general, cardiac or vascular {the other school ONLY said “general”… so this means if I wanted to study OB/GYN I’m practically S.O.L.. or…. ?
- Is one specialty more difficult than the other? If so, how?

For example.. on the website CAAHEP.Org - the accredited school I am looking at has 3 separate things.
Concentration: Cardiac
Concentration: General
Concentration: Vascular

What is “general”?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Roger in Oakland, California

19 months ago

There are broken down into categories.

If you take a general ultrasound program, it will cover more than OB/gyn. that is one aspect, but you neurosonology, abdominal and breast.

Cardiac has 3 levels, adult, peds, fetal

vascular is vascular.

You cant apply for a cardiac job if you do breast ultrasounds and like wise with any other modality. Your specialty is what you apply for.

Tonijz00 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

19 months ago

Thank you Roger. Very helpful.

Karry in Massachusetts

19 months ago

For me, I chose general because its a two year degree, with that you do liver, kidneys, gallbladder and more, also many do vascular and ob/gyn. When I am done and have my RDMS I can also take vascular and cardiac in a one year certificate program and earn registry in those. To get your RDMS you take a physics exam and one specialty. You can do abdomen, obgyn, breast. Anyone of those along with physics and your licensed then you can study and take additional modalities later.

19 months ago

Karry in Massachusetts said: For me, I chose general because its a two year degree, with that you do liver, kidneys, gallbladder and more, also many do vascular and ob/gyn. When I am done and have my RDMS I can also take vascular and cardiac in a one year certificate program and earn registry in those. To get your RDMS you take a physics exam and one specialty. You can do abdomen, obgyn, breast. Anyone of those along with physics and your licensed then you can study and take additional modalities later.

Interesting. I did not know that about other modalities adding on, I figure you'd have to have a clinical verification form signed off or worked 1 yr in an additional modality. I only say that because I didnt see or maybe I am missing it in one of the prereques for the registry. My course was adult echo specific, but I had internships in pediatric echo and vascular. I have training in TCD, but wanted to learn more neurosonology. I think I will have to bug the general ultrasound folks down the hall way.

19 months ago

Tonijz00 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: Thank you Roger. Very helpful.

Not a problem. look at ardms.org.. that it is broken down in those categories and their prerequs for registries

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.