Starting out...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

Host

How did you get your start doing underwriter work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

youtalkwireless@hotmail.com in Palm Bay, Florida

80 months ago

I'm looking to get into underwriting, but am curious to see what class I can take to get a jump start into the field??

Are there courses I can take?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Cindy in Sellersville, Pennsylvania

80 months ago

CPCU if you have background experience. Several colleges offer Risk Management and Insurance degrees as well.

Twinkle Toes in Minneapolis, Minnesota

73 months ago

Banking... it's a simple enough industry but I got a great jump here being a personal banker for US Bank. It was so boring and simple after a while, I had to find something else! It was a simple introduction into debt to income and working with underwriters on a regular basis and understanding how and why they made the decisions they did. US Bank was a "cream of the crop" lender they wouldn't touch anyone with a credit score lower than 650 that made a lot of the loans walk out the door. I had to fight for a lot of people so this was terrific experience for that reason. Good luck everyone! I am interviewing for several positions including underwriting at the current moment.

Twinkle Toes in Minneapolis, Minnesota

73 months ago

Cindy in Sellersville, Pennsylvania said: CPCU if you have background experience. Several colleges offer Risk Management and Insurance degrees as well.

Just so everyone knows any highly regarded insurance company will pay for your insurance certification classes! Don't buy em yourself! Well, that's only if you already have your bachelor's degree's like I have two MArketing and Speech communications.

Blakrain in Mesa, Arizona

69 months ago

What about changing careers? I did have a producer's license (I let it lapse but getting it back would be an option if I needed to). I spent most of my working life in Customer Service but I do have a Bachelor's degree in Urban Planning. The field I origionally trained for it was amazingly difficult to get into and bills could not wait, So I was never able to get into the field. .

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.