Whats the ebst way to get into Urban Planning?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Adz in North Chelmsford, Massachusetts

39 months ago

I am curently going into my senior year as an Architecture student at Miami Univesity in Ohio and looking at getting into the Urban Planning Field after graduation. i was wondering what the best way to find a job in this field is with an architecture background and if I need to get my masters in Urban planning first.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Sammie in Laramie, Wyoming

28 months ago

Great! This is an awesome field to go into with someone that has an architecture background. Undoubtedly you will need to go to graduate school and get a Masters in Urban Planning since it is a specialty degree and most employees in the private and public sector at least have a Masters. A good way to find out jobs, get certified, and find great Urban planning universities is the American Planning Association (www.planning.org)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

midrover170 in Boise, Idaho

27 months ago

Be careful with this field. It was devastated by the Recession. Most planning agencies (both public and private) are funded by development. On the government side, this is through impact fees and development review costs. It's self evident how the private side is funded. Most agencies laid-off nearly half of their staff when the recession occurred, and it's been VERY slow growth afterwards. This has done a couple of things: 1.) increased the pool of urban planning applicants for each job out there, and 2.) created a horrible (in my opinion) trend of hiring entry-level, ill-equipped planners to fill the shoes of those who were laid off, just to save a buck.

I was in city planning for approx. four years, and fortunately weathered the Recession. I decided to relocate to an area where I could pursue a masters degree (not in planning which my undergrad is in). Sammie is right that most professionals in the field have their masters, and it's really the only way to climb the ladder. I was just very worried about the narrowness of the profession, so I'm getting my masters in something that will open a few more doors.

Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.