Can I make it as a vet or stick with nursing

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Danielle in Ponchatoula, Louisiana

62 months ago

I worked for a vet clinic since highschool. I really liked it and had always wanted to be a vet. I soon moved from kennels to tech. Now I am the only tech on Saturdays. I love it most days. LOL. Anayways I started college very excitied for my future. In my second semester in college, I started getting very bad migranes. The kind that make you sick and vomit. I went through all kinds of test because anurisoms run in my family. I faild classes. I retook them in the summer and passed. The next semester was no better. My Gpa was very low and spirits were crushed. I switched to nursing because the school I would apply to only takes the best grade. I figured I could be a nurse practitioner. I am making good grades and the migranes are under control but now I wish I was still going to be a vet. In order to be a vet, I still would have a year or two until I could even apply to vet school then 4 years of vet school. I am working on three years in college now and I am 21. If I stay in nursing I will have a bachlors in nursing and be a RN in three years. Then I have to go back to get my masters after a year or two of working as a RN (Thats what the programs usually require). The salary for both is around the same. Does anyone have any advice or help to offer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

K :) in Chicago, Illinois

62 months ago

Danielle, do whatever it is that you love. You could go either way with this. Since you already seem to know what the RN track is, perhaps I can help with the DVM track. Start at the Assoc. of American Veterinary Medical Colleges' website:

www.aavmc.org/

Find the educational requirements you'd need to get into accredited DVM programs in your area. Go to the schools' websites and take a closer look at their Vet Med departments' pages. Take a good look at what courses you already have and those you'll need. Talk with advisors at your current school and perhaps perspective Vet schools about how to explore your options.

I'm thinking that you could probably finish your bachelor's in nursing and go into a Vet Med program. I'm no expert, but I'm also interested in possibly becoming a DVM...I have a business degree. I've noticed that some Vet schools will accept people with degrees that aren't science-based. I'd be playing with fire as I probably only took 1 or 2 science courses...so I'll probably go back and get another, more science-based degree.

But, YOU: your studies are already based in science, and the Vet Med schools will probably like the fact that you have a nursing background (basically human medicine), because Veterinarians are being recruited into the Medical Research field. Plus, you'll have the versatility of two different fields on your resume. So, like I said, you could probably just get your nursing degree, and apply to Vet Med school. They may want you to take some more courses, but like I said, I think they'll like your background. And about your early grades, you can tell about the migraines and family history of aneurysms and how you got yourself together. That's life experience there, hon, which usually goes on your applications. And you work at a kennel. Sounds good to me!

You're young, so don't rush; but also, don't let your dreams pass you by, so research your options! I wish you the best of luck, Danielle!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

stacey in Everett, Massachusetts

53 months ago

I think I would make a great vet because I love animals and animals love me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jessy in Howard Beach, New York

1 month ago

GO FOR IT!!!! I am 30 , I'm a nurse and I regret it everyday, that I didn't become a vet and now I feel I have invested to much time to start over. Your young. Don't let anything stop you.If you don't do what you love you'll regret it forever.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.