Has anyone here done a working interview?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (12)

Laura in Fort Wayne, Indiana

63 months ago

So I went in today and did a working interview for a clinic in Indy. Has anyone on here ever done one (I am assuming at least SOME people have, haha). If so, how did it go? What all did you end up doing? I was told the things I would be doing at my working interview, so I was planning on doing pretty much just that. She said I would be doing a dental, placing IV catheter(s), and running a fecal and urinalysis. She said my interview would probably last from 9:30 to about 11 or 11:30. I was there for close to 4 hours. I kind of thought that was a good sign, since she felt like I was actually of use and not a nuisance.

I ended up attempting to place 2 catheters, but only successfully placed one. I restrained for exams for the doctor for the surgery patients. I ran a fecal and examined it on the microscope. I ended up assisting in surgery such as clipping/scrubbing a dog that was getting a spay done. I monitored anesthesia. I guess one of the "techs" (and I say this because she had on the job training; started as a receptionist and considers herself a tech. Lame.) was busy up front, so I heard the doctor yell for me when I was in the middle of looking at a fecal, and she asked me to draw up .3 ml of Bupvicaine to put on the incision to numb the area. Didn't even ask to see how much I had drew up, so at that point I felt like she was confident in my skills and trusted that I could do a good job.

Everything she had me do, I did without a question. So I thought she was thoroughly impressed. When I was clipping for the spay, she came in once and goes, "Looking good", then she came back in when I was finishing it up and getting ready to scrub the surgical site, she goes, "I think that's the best abdomen I've seen all week".

Truth be told, I honestly felt like I was a member of the team because I was doing stuff I wasn't even expecting to do or she was confident I could do something without a question. What do you guys think?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

gnash in Hendersonville, North Carolina

61 months ago

i had a 'working' interview with a clinic but it was the office end of things. i'm surprised they'd allow someone to handle animals and medications with such casualness when they weren't actually employed by the place (insurance?). can't say as i'm crazy about your attitude per job-trained vet techs. that's how most people have been trained for decades. i'd hope you would look to them for information. did you end up getting the job? sounds like it was a busy place.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Laura in Fort Wayne, Indiana

61 months ago

gnash in Hendersonville, North Carolina said: i had a 'working' interview with a clinic but it was the office end of things. i'm surprised they'd allow someone to handle animals and medications with such casualness when they weren't actually employed by the place (insurance?). can't say as i'm crazy about your attitude per job-trained vet techs. that's how most people have been trained for decades. i'd hope you would look to them for information. did you end up getting the job? sounds like it was a busy place.

I'm sorry, but I just don't feel someone should call themselves a tech just cause they had on the job training. I feel an assistant would be a better title. To me it's the equivalent of a medical assistant calling themselves a nurse. You may feel differently, but that's personally how I feel about the matter. It's insulting to me that I had to go through a very vigorous and extensive program, study my ass off to take my boards in order to hopefully become an RVT.. and most of these doctors sometimes would rather hire someone who should technically be an assistant. And most of the time the "on the job trained" people might know HOW something is done, but I've had the education and know WHY something is done. I can't imagine that a doctor would take the time to teach them everything an RVT would know. Again, it's a matter of personal opinion.

And no, I didn't end up getting the job. I think the doctor decided not to hire someone cause they weren't a very busy practice. They were only open for a year and there were only two other girls working there. I, however, did have two interviews the past two weeks. My most recent being this week and I got a working interview/day of observing. And I think I'll possibly get hired into that one. Especially since the practice manager was talking to me about apartments in the area and suggesting apartments for me to look at on my lunch break, since I would have to move an hour and a half away.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Eddie in Indianapolis, Indiana

58 months ago

My wife went on a 'working interview' at a vet place in Bargersville, Indiana (about 45 min. away from us in Indy) last year and didn't get hired but worked for 3 hours there. She did about the same thing you did on your interview. I wondered about the 'working interview' as I had never heard of it but I figured it was legit. A few weeks ago she was interviewing for another position at a different place and they wanted her to do the same thing. I decided to look it up and low and behold THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO PAY YOU for the time you work (per Indiana State Law), regardless if you are hired or not. I confirmed this with the Indiana State Labor Board. I immediatley contacted the Vets office and they had nothing to say about it and they were kinda 'smug' about it like 'oh no, you caught us' kind of an attitude. I told them I would send them a bill for services rendered and I did. They are now sending us a check for the (3) hours that she worked. It is minimum wage but at least it is something for her time. THEY KNOW THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO PAY YOU AND THEY TRY TO GET AWAY WITHOUT PAYING. Did you notice how busy they were? My wife said that the office where she went was VERY BUSY and now I am thinking that this is just a way for them to get free labor when they are short on help, and the person that is working won't say anything because they are hoping they will get a job. CONTACT THEM AND TELL THEM YOU WANT PAID FOR YOUR TIME. By State law, if they do not pay you, you have a right to DOUBLE THE AMOUNT BY LAW. Tell them this if they say no. The labor board emailed us and they said to use their email stating the law as proof if they said no. I printed it out along with a bill and mailed it to them with signiture confirmation. Her interview was last December so don't be worried about it being too late. GET YOUR MONEY. THEY OWE YOU.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Rachel in Decatur, Indiana

57 months ago

Hey Laura. I'm going to Brown Mackie for surge tech. You seem ahead of me on the game. Could you possibly e-mail me so i could ask you a few questions? It would be greatly appreciated. racheltharp@yahoo.com
Thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Rachel in Decatur, Indiana

57 months ago

lol, omg i'm blind, you're a vet tech. i searched for surgical tech, long day, just had finals n i'm beat.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Laura, RVT in Fort Wayne, Indiana

57 months ago

I've actually done two working interviews and I didn't get paid for either of them. One of them was actually where I am working now. I actually don't mind not being paid for working interviews since I am trying to get a job and don't want to decrease my chances of getting the job by demanding I be paid. If I'm not having to do much driving to get to the interview, then it doesn't bother me as much. There was one interview where I went to and was there the whole day. They called it a working interview, but I didn't really do anything. It was more so observing.

But the clinic I went to for a working interview (in my original post), they weren't busy at all really. There were two other girls working there. And there weren't any actual animals there besides for the couple surgeries she had. But that was it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

liz in San Antonio, Texas

54 months ago

Wow you couldn't be any more a jerk could you? Most of "On the job trained techs" have in my opinion (11 years working) Are MUCH more qualified then every unseasoned RVT (less then 3 years) I have ever meet.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

gnash in Hendersonville, North Carolina

54 months ago

probably shouldn't reply to the last one, but there's such a thing now about having certification/degrees/whatever and it's a recent thing - not something people considered much years ago. for some reasons, getting certified helps regulate the type of care someone gets from a clinic. for other reasons, the whole process is a bit of a racket - by the organizations, by the state, even nationally - to make money off of students. some students have already been working on the job as TECHS but wanted the officialness of certification - and so got the schooling. which, for those who don't know already, is really tough to do when you're trying to work. the school here offers no options to their class schedules.

i've gone on to other things with the education as tech as part of my resume but not my main focus. i agree with Eddie who's wife went on 'working interviews' - they need to be paying for these. i used to get paid (in a different profession) for getting "tried-out". and students need all the money they can get for their trouble. so if an interview starts feeling like on-the-job training, get paid for it. obviously they can afford it and you can't. good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

lvt2010 in Woodbridge, Virginia

34 months ago

In some states it is illegal to call yourself a "tech" unless you have completed a 2 year accredited program and passed the boards...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

lvt2010 in Woodbridge, Virginia

34 months ago

In some states, it is ILLEGAL to call yourself a "tech" unless you have completed an accredited program and passed the boards...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

CindyRVT in Henderson, Texas

34 months ago

Yep and credentialing and education is far from recent. I can speak for Texas on exactly how long it's been going on here--a degree in veterinary technology was available as long ago as the early 1970's.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.