What would be the path to take to become a vet tech in a zoo?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

Ben in Berwyn, Illinois

83 months ago

After completing a 2 year program to achieve a vet tech license what could be done to improve the chances of being able to work as a vet tech in a zoo?

How about a bachelors in veterinary technology? I'm sure it would help but would it help enough to spend 2 years and 20 grand on it?

Any information is much appreciated. Thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ben in Berwyn, Illinois

83 months ago

CindyRVT in Henderson, Texas said: While you earn your 2 year degree in veterinary technology from an AVMA accredited college be sure to choose electives that center around zoo animal care.

A bachelor's degree in veterinary technology is not likely to help much in zoo medicine since those degree programs tend to focus on business managment, small animal or large animal tracks.

Thanks for the quick response, Cindy. This is the program I'm enrolling in.

www.jjc.edu/academics/divisions/career-technical/agriculture-horticulture/vet-tech/Pages/requirements.aspx

I don't think electives are offered. It seems like a set list pretty much. Any other suggestions?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

cindyrvt in Henderson, Texas

83 months ago

Well, the exotics course should cover some zoo animals which is a benefit. When I went to school years ago equine, zoo and lab animal courses were electives so you could focus somewhat on what you were interested in. ;)

Zoos are going to understand that you don't get alot of hands-on experience with zoo animals in school, so I would simply apply. Along with that though, I would look for any exotic/zoo related CE offerings that might be available. Get in touch with the Academy of Veterinary Zoological Medicine Technicians - created to establish a high quality pool of specialized technicians with expertise in zoology. Contact: Bonnie Boule, BS, CVT - bsoule@rwpzoo.org

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ben in Berwyn, Illinois

83 months ago

Thanks again, Cindy.

I looked up the website for the Academy of Veterinary Zoological Medicine Technicians. I found the e-mail address of the guy in charge of externships/internships/preceptorships at my local zoo and shot him an e-mail with some questions and asked if he could give me any advice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

cindyrvt in Henderson, Texas

83 months ago

I would recommend that you join VSPN as well. It's a free online service for veterinary hospital staff and vet tech students. They have a zoo forum on there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.