Getting hired

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (16)

Ellen in Saint Louis, Missouri

71 months ago

I have absolutely no experience being a vet tech, but am very motivated to become one. I am seriously considering going to vet tech school. How can you get hired for this kind of work if you have no experience? Is it likely that I'd even have a chance? I'd like to get hands on experience while I go to school so I get the best of both worlds.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (60) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Brittany in Atlanta, Georgia

71 months ago

I am in the same boat as Ellen from Missouri. I need a job and just won't be completely happy until I work with animals. I would like to get going with it because I just started online vet tech school and I'm nowhere near done. The more experience I get the better and the sooner the better!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Rachel in Dayton, Ohio

71 months ago

I would google for the closest Vet Hospitals, Shelters, etc in your zip code. (exp search: Veterinary 45454) If available, visit the websites and read about thier services, company goals, learn the staff, apply if available. Then, I would print out a list of the 10 closest to your home and find a morning to drop off a resume/fill out applications. Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Brittany in Decatur, Georgia

71 months ago

Thank you so much for your reply! I should try that!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Ellen in Saint Louis, Missouri

70 months ago

I went into a few clinics around my house and I've been hired by a very reputable clinic in a good neighborhood. I am working as a receptionist for now and will move up into a vet assistant position when I start school. So things have really worked out well! I'm getting hands-on experience with heartworm tests, fecal tests and filling prescriptions as well as being completely immersed in the field and learning the lingo. I am recommending for anyone interested in vet tech or vet assistant position to follow my lead and get a foot in the door this way. It has really helped me greatly. Now when I start vet school, I will know more than other students who don't work in the field yet and I won't have to look for a part time job to work during school as well as an internship when that time comes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Rachel in Dayton, Ohio

70 months ago

I'm happy to hear you are living your dream, Ellen. Best of luck to you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Cisky Molefe in Johannesburg, South Africa

68 months ago

Im also interested and I got Bsc Animal Health from North West University

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Sally in Alhambra, California

67 months ago

Ellen in Saint Louis, Missouri said: I have absolutely no experience being a vet tech, but am very motivated to become one. I am seriously considering going to vet tech school. How can you get hired for this kind of work if you have no experience? Is it likely that I'd even have a chance? I'd like to get hands on experience while I go to school so I get the best of both worlds.

I am a RVT in california, and I started of as a kennel attendent; giving baths, feeding animals/walks,handling and restraint, and dont forget cleaning pee and poop. Depending where you live you can work your way up to tech with no school at all, which is good if you want to work small hospitals or small town, one dr., etc.. Get licensed to earn a little more pay but really the license isnt all, you must have skills most importantly. the license can get you a good job in specialty, emergency, or shelter practice, but be prepared to see some heart renching stuff, and euthanizing animals. I highly recommend working at a hospital first for a while, then decide if its for you cuz once you get bit or have an agressive cat or dog to handle, this job is not for everyone. It beats working with sick humans! You can even voluteer somewhere, but if you get paid you will really do all the hands on. I didnt have experience when I started but if you let the employer know you want to do it they should give you a chance, everyone starts off somewhere. Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Vet tech Woman/Hospital manager in Port Saint Lucie, Florida

67 months ago

Some hospitals may higher you with no experience and train you. Others may start you as a kennel assistant and move you up...vet assistant... then vet tech. Bus some states require you to be liscenced to be called a vet tech

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

karyn in Center Barnstead, New Hampshire

67 months ago

Sally in Alhambra, California said: I am a RVT in california, and I started of as a kennel attendent; giving baths, feeding animals/walks,handling and restraint, and dont forget cleaning pee and poop. Depending where you live you can work your way up to tech with no school at all, which is good if you want to work small hospitals or small town, one dr., etc.. Get licensed to earn a little more pay but really the license isnt all, you must have skills most importantly. the license can get you a good job in specialty, emergency, or shelter practice, but be prepared to see some heart renching stuff, and euthanizing animals. I highly recommend working at a hospital first for a while, then decide if its for you cuz once you get bit or have an agressive cat or dog to handle, this job is not for everyone. It beats working with sick humans! You can even voluteer somewhere, but if you get paid you will really do all the hands on. I didnt have experience when I started but if you let the employer know you want to do it they should give you a chance, everyone starts off somewhere. Good Luck!

karyn

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Assistant tech in North Hills, California

66 months ago

I've always been told to just go out there to every hospital you can find, and even if they are not hiring, ask to fill out an application. If you want to work with the animals more than filing/owners then I would absolutely start with working as a kennel assistant rather than a receptionist (they are often the ones who get yelled at by owners!). You'll be cleaning poo and washing stuff but whenever you have a second and you see something going on, you can learn a lot by asking techs and vets, and even asking if you can do some treatments. If you're at a nice enough hospital they should let you start with beginner things (medicating animals). If they see you doing good work you're likely to get bumped up if there's an opening for a higher level position, like tech assistant.

From personal experience though, I really think the best way to network (make friends who work at hospitals who can put in a word for you) is to start volunteering, at an animal shelter or wildlife hospital or some other place that is in need of volunteers, and put in lots of consistent hard work. A fellow volunteer I met was working at a hospital and I asked her to put a word in for me, so they hired me as a tech assistant without really any previous experience (all I did was volunteer and do lab stuff). I had a friend get a job the exact same way at another hospital. A lot of it depends on luck: if there's an opening, and if you are willing to put in the work to get there, it'll happen. My last piece of big advice is this: don't ever consider yourself "above" cleaning poo and kennels, washing dishes, or doing laundry. Everyone does it, and if you show people that you are willing to work hard and not complain about it, they really take that attitude to heart.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

nancy in Los Angeles, California

50 months ago

I feel so stumped. I graduated from Cal Poly with a bachelors in Animal Health Science and the only experience i've had with animals were from my internships and school. I feel that I do know a lot and I am willing to work hard but it seems so hard to find a job. I have applied to so many places and had a few interviews but nobody wants to hire me. Some of the places i've applied to don't even require experience and they say they will teach me if hired and I thought that was a great thing, because I don't have any paid experience but I do have the academic background so that when they do teach me, things would go a lot faster and smoother with someone that already knows the basics and terminology. Its been over half a year and I still havn't gotten a job yet..this is so discouraging and depressing =( what do i do?? what am i doing wrong during the interviews? i try to show a lot of enthusiasm and honestly.. I just don't know what i'm doing wrong..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

CindyRVT in Henderson, Texas

49 months ago

Nancy,
Have you taken the steps to get registered as a veterinary technician in California? If not that may be one of the things that is limiting you in your job search. California's laws are pretty detailed in the difference between non-registered personnel vs. registered veterinary technicians can do.
You may also want to consider going in and volunteering at a few clinics or looking for a company that handles relief veterinary technicians. Either of these will get you on-the-job experience but also allow people to see how much you know and how you work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

info@vetassistant.com in Laguna Hills, California

36 months ago

There is a vet tech school in Foothill Ranch, CA that has a beginning level program to teach people the skills they need to get an entry level job in an animal hospital. Once they have gained employment, they can go on to trian to become a Vet Tech. Look up their website at www.vetassistant.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

CindyRVT in Henderson, Texas

36 months ago

info@vetassistant.com in Laguna Hills, California said: There is a vet tech school ...www.vetassistant.com

This is not a vet tech school but a veterinary assisting program. And it's credits/courses are typically not going to be accepted by AVMA accredited veterinary technology degree programs (I don't know if it's credits are accepted by the one CA vet licensing board approved vet tech program, but I doubt it). This means that if someone takes this program and wants to go on to be a vet tech they will most likely have to start all over again and still take a full 5 semesters in an accredited vet tech program.

It does have a plan for becoming a vet tech through the "alternate route" available in CA, but anyone considering it should be aware that this route will not be accepted in other states should you move out of CA. You will NOT be able to be licensed in another state unless you get a degree from an AVMA accredited program.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

nina in Modesto, California

21 months ago

all these comments are making me seriously think about if being vet tech is worth being broke and being way too stressed out :(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.