Women Welders

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 303)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Sandy in East Texas in Yantis, Texas

75 months ago

I am a woman welder and have 35 year experience. Why is it so hard for men to accept a women out in the field. I am 6G certified have my own rig. I apply and they say they will call back but never do. I had one man tell me that he thought it would be to destracting to have a woman in the field. I have worked as a structural welder and was the only woman there. I did not stop production and I did not cause any accidents. What is it with all the excuses?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (95) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

DON JUAN in Palm Coast, Florida

75 months ago

I think it is great that woman are in this occupation. And from what i understand Women were responsable for a great majority of the welding during WW2 on the liberty ships and other various pieces of military equipment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (36) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Sandy in East Texas in Quitman, Texas

75 months ago

What I am finding is how bad the discrimination is in the field of pipeline welding. I had one man that I talked to about a welding job say that he thought it would be destracting to have a women working in the field. Another said he was not having a women welder on the job. I am sure if I wanted to weld on a ship in a ship yard right now I could but that is not the field I was interested in. I can get a job in a shop (been there done that, not interested) I have paid my dues. The question is how do you fight the discrimination?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

joss in Birmingham, United Kingdom

75 months ago

Sandy in East Texas in Quitman, Texas said: What I am finding is how bad the discrimination is in the field of pipeline welding. I had one man that I talked to about a welding job say that he thought it would be destracting to have a women working in the field. Another said he was not having a women welder on the job. I am sure if I wanted to weld on a ship in a ship yard right now I could but that is not the field I was interested in. I can get a job in a shop (been there done that, not interested) I have paid my dues. The question is how do you fight the discrimination?

hi,to be honest i don't think you can, untill there is alot more women doing this trade and it becomes the norm rather than the unusual, i think we will always having to be fighting our corner,even though this is not right or acceptable in this day and age quite frankly,especially when your highly skilled and qualified at what you do!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

i am a women Tig welder, with over 10years of experience,coded upto asme 9 having worked in the pharmaceutical industry,with a H.N.C in mechanical engineering. i wanted the opportunity to write of my experience's within the welding trade(er no....not really i'm venting my frustration really!) i have had a mixture of good and bad experiences since i started in this trade,on the positive side i've worked at some good places with some brilliant blokes but i have to say these are few and far between. After being in the welding trade for the last 10 yrs,I'm finding it very fustrating i have had to leave a number of workplaces(not without a fighting my corner i might add) due to sexual discrimination, sexual harrassment and yes sad to say even assault! Some of the time i am out of work despite being more skilled and qualified than most others in my trade,my c.v seems to disappear down a black hole or employers just don't call back! also when i have had an interview i suspect they've given me interview out of curiosity more than anything else, because they haven't seen a women welder!...it's too amusing for words really, i also find at an interview they talk to me like the job is hard and above me when in reality it's well below my skill level and completely boreing. I do find myself haveing to take what i see as boring and unskilled jobs just so i've actually got work. To anyone thinking of getting into welding..yes this all sounds very negative but don't let it deter you from going into this trade, i love what i do and really enjoy welding!i only speak from my own experiences, there will be some women who may not have had the same experiences as me.future plans-working abroad away from brum!!..shouts out to any other women doing welding!!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (48) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Sandy in East Texas in Winnsboro, Texas

75 months ago

Hi Joss I could write a book or make a movie on everything I have been through and it sure would not be "Flash Dance". I have been there even to the "the interview out of curiosity". I have been out here for 35 years so you can imagine what I have experienced. Like you it is funny and yet it is not funny. Really it is sad that men are so intimidated by women. Like you I have worked for some good people but there is alot of what should we call it "Red Neck Mentality" out here. Have you noticed no comments from the male sector. I know what women must have felt like and went through when they were trying to getting the right to vote. Just thought I would voice my flustrations and see what kind of responce I would get. Not that it would change anything. Thank you for taking the time to respond. Hope you the best in the future. Maybe it is not not this way all over the world.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

thanks loads for replying, i too just wanted to voice my frustrations,(i think i did actually write a book!!:),at the end of the day i want to just be able to enjoy doing a good job without all the hassle!!
No there won't be any comments from the males because they know full well that this goes on! While i was browsing through these sites on the net i saw alot of success stories of other women welders, painting an o.t.t rosey picture of women in welding,they left out the negatives, but i feel that things should be said because this is something that is happening and should be addressed and not swept under the carpet! i'm glad i came across this site,i needed to say what i was feeling to be honest, it helps to know your not the only one(it can feel like that at times!),it's good to be able to talk to someone that knows!...so feel free to chat to me when you want to talk! i'm going to try working abroad, will let you know if i come across any good places to work in...i wonder how the flash dance women managed to get her work boots on over those thick leg warmers!?!??..hmm, anyway all the best in the future and keep your head up!.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Sorry I have been so long in answering. I think the flash dance women in real life would not get near any thing that pertained to welding. I think she is a little high maintance for that. They did not do alot of research when they made that move, just someones unrealistic ideal. Well anyway hope if you go over seas you find things different. I have my own shop and I do ok with it. Maybe you should start your own shop. If you need further education in other types of welding you can do that through classes. I have even given some welding lessons. I went to school and got my 6G certification. I do all types of welding ( alum, stainless, cast and steel). The goverment gives free grant money to women to start a business. You might check into that. All in all I hope you the best. Maybe in the future we will get out of the dark ages in this area and more women will get into welding.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Sandy in East Texas in Winnsboro, Texas said: Sorry I have been so long in answering. I think the flash dance women in real life would not get near any thing that pertained to welding. I think she is a little high maintance for that. They did not do alot of research when they made that move, just someones unrealistic ideal. Well anyway hope if you go over seas you find things different. I have my own shop and I do ok with it. Maybe you should start your own shop. If you need further education in other types of welding you can do that through classes. I have even given some welding lessons. I went to school and got my 6G certification. I do all types of welding ( alum, stainless, cast and steel). The goverment gives free grant money to women to start a business. You might check into that. All in all I hope you the best. Maybe in the future we will get out of the dark ages in this area and more women will get into welding.

Are you in the United States or England? I just noticed your address. I was thinking you where in the US, does that mean it is that way all over the world.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

mike in Hilo, Hawaii

75 months ago

when i started as a rail car welder, the company refused to hire women because it meant building a new bathroom/shower facility.

but you ended up with 35 years experience anyway; no reason to work for those who would not hire you... i know i never work for anyone i don't want to see profit from my work.

rawblacksmith on myspace for pics of my work

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lorena Herrera in Houston, Texas

75 months ago

I am 21yrs old and I went to school for safety and since I have gotten my certification I havent had no luck. They tell me they want someone with experience well how are you suppose to get that if no one will give you a chance. I am wanting to learn welding and I am willing to pay someone to teach me the basics so I can land a job as a welder helper.. Is there anyone out there that can help me?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Lorena Herrera in Houston, Texas

75 months ago

Sandy in East Texas in Yantis, Texas said: I am a woman welder and have 35 year experience. Why is it so hard for men to accept a women out in the field. I am 6G certified have my own rig. I apply and they say they will call back but never do. I had one man tell me that he thought it would be to destracting to have a woman in the field. I have worked as a structural welder and was the only woman there. I did not stop production and I did not cause any accidents. What is it with all the excuses?

Why Dont you try to apply for a chemical plant or a contractor that goes into the plants they have women.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Lorena I would be gald to help if your were closer. I have given lessons before but you could also go to a community college and take classes. The problem is to get someone to give you the chance after you get the lessons. You just have to keep knocking on door until someone says yes. Just don't give up. I know that there are women out there that are welders helpers you just have to keep looking and asking. I have plenty of experience and still have alot of trouble getting in. Don't go to one of the techancial schools. You would be alot better off going to a community college. This is from experience too.
I talked to a welder in Canada and he was looking for a women helper. He said that he would much rather work with a women than a man. I have thought about starting a welding school for women and help women that want to get into the field. A few law suits on womens rights and these companies might think twice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

When I started I was told I would have to use the bathroom with 129 men because they did not any facilites for women and that they only paid minimum wage. I was told at a goverment facility that I did not weight enough he would not even give me an application, found out later it was because the guy in the back did not want a women welder there. I could go on and on. One of the problems is that there are so few women welders that we feel alone and it is hard to fight back. There was a company this last winter out of Dallas that hired me to do structural welding they did not give me a hard time at all. My hat is off to them. I was the only women in about 100 guys and the roof did not fall and there was no trouble because I was there. One thing I have chose to do through again experience is not to date anyone that I work with.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

Daz in Dallas, Texas

74 months ago

Lorena Herrera in Houston, Texas said: I am 21yrs old and I went to school for safety and since I have gotten my certification I havent had no luck. They tell me they want someone with experience well how are you suppose to get that if no one will give you a chance. I am wanting to learn welding and I am willing to pay someone to teach me the basics so I can land a job as a welder helper.. Is there anyone out there that can help me?

Hi Lorena, Have you tried to connect with any of the Registered Apprenticeship programs in your area? There are several in Harris County that have welding training programs and because Registered Apprenticeship is a federal program, they are required to make provide opportunities to everyone who qualifies, regardless of gender. Most qualifications for entry are a high school diploma or GED. Take a look at... www.doleta.gov/OA/eta_default.cfm ...towards the bottom of the web page you'll see a link called Program Sponsors Database. That link will allow you to search for apprenticeship programs in your area based on occupation.

Registered Apprenticeship is an earn-while-you learn program. You work full time, pulling a good wage, and in most cases full benefits, and then go to school either one or two nights a week or on Saturdays (usually at no cost to the apprentice ? if there is a cost it's minimal). But don't just look for a Welding apprenticeship as an occupation. Plumbers, Pipefitters, even Sheet Metal Workers all include various aspects of welding in the training process and all offer pretty good wages and opportunities for career growth.

There are a couple of national associations that are geared towards helping women succeed in what was historically known as ?non-traditional? occupations. Connecting with your local chapter of Women in Construction could be a great help. Here?s their site... www.nawic.org/nawic/Default.asp
Hope this helps...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nick Doucette in Nipawin, Saskatchewan

74 months ago

Sandy in East Texas in Yantis, Texas said: I am a woman welder and have 35 year experience. Why is it so hard for men to accept a women out in the field. I am 6G certified have my own rig. I apply and they say they will call back but never do. I had one man tell me that he thought it would be to destracting to have a woman in the field. I have worked as a structural welder and was the only woman there. I did not stop production and I did not cause any accidents. What is it with all the excuses?

Congrats on being a woman welder I have seen many in my day , and admire every one , I do have a question for you though do you think its possible that I can get my 6g on no pipe experience I mean I plan on renting a stall in the city they charge $50 a day and a good day of welding I hopefully will be practiced up enough to pass it I do have lots of stick experience but it's been practiacally going on 8 years since I welded with stick. I am welding mig in a shop right now and I would so like a change .

74 months ago

I would say it would be very hard because you need someone to watch you and see what you are doing wrong. If you try and do it without the proper instruction you could learn wrong. I believe you could find someone to show you how and then practice on your on. I was glad that I went to the community college to get the 6G cirtification because it "ain't" as easy as it look when you first start out and if you make a mistake you don't know that your making a mistake and you need someone to show you how to over come the mistake. I believe the right instruction when starting out is so important. There is the uphill pipe welding and the downhill pipe welding and different rods are used on each. You need to know that. How to make the landing, the right gap, the right temp-erature for each pass, the right penetration for the root pass. I guess some people may be self taught but my answer is get someone to instruct you. I tried to go to a friend shop and do it there at first but that just wasn't working out because I felt guilty of taking up to much of his time and material. That is when I decided to go to the college. That is another thing, finding the pipe to practice on, that would be another thing to deal with oh yes and the pipe beveling machine, you have to have one and they are not cheap. I worked with a guy that went to a technical school and payed alot of money to go and he said that they had three to four guys welding in the same booth and because they had to many students the instructor could not give them the time they needed from him. If you will start looking around I am sure you could find a small class you could join to learn. One thing you might try is getting on as a welders helper and practice in your spare time with one of the welder from the job. I hope I have answered your questions. Your out side of the United States so I don't know what is available to you there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sara in Delta, British Columbia

73 months ago

Lorena Herrera in Houston, Texas said: I am 21yrs old and I went to school for safety and since I have gotten my certification I havent had no luck. They tell me they want someone with experience well how are you suppose to get that if no one will give you a chance. I am wanting to learn welding and I am willing to pay someone to teach me the basics so I can land a job as a welder helper.. Is there anyone out there that can help me?

I hear ya!
I have been welding for 2 years now and still have problems finding new jobs. I recently went traveling for 3 months thinking it would be easy to get a job in Vancouver when i can backseeing as the olypics are here and construction is apparantly booming.
ALAS this was not the case.
I have had a real problem getting work and am still out.
I almost dont want to apply to jobs in person because of how many times Iv gotten turned away because im a woman. (and not a very big woman ether)
I know I am good at what I do but it seems impossible for me to get work unless i know some one personaly that is willing to recomend me. It is also important for me to get the hours I need to become fully registered.

So if there is any one here in the greater vancouver area needing a welder helper or apprentice, PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

hi same here,i'm still looking for work and i'm coded etc with a wealth of experience,it's completely frustating the only thing you can do is keep applying (there will be somebody out there that will give you chance)also keep your hand in with the welding if you can in case any trade tests do come up your not out of practice!

T.c.

73 months ago

Im also a women welder and i love it im 32 as well as an auto mechanic and i am also finding it hard to get a fob in iether field one guy wouldnt even give me a job as a parts driver because of my size he didn't think i could push a 75lb push fork lift with a motor on it, now i can lift a trani on my own. i don't know its a mans field but this little one is gettn ready to knock the hinges right off the door.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

T.c. said: Im also a women welder and i love it im 32 as well as an auto mechanic and i am also finding it hard to get a fob in iether field one guy wouldnt even give me a job as a parts driver because of my size he didn't think i could push a 75lb push fork lift with a motor on it, now i can lift a trani on my own. i don't know its a mans field but this little one is gettn ready to knock the hinges right off the door.....

yow...i'll be staying well out of your way(pms or no pms:).....this one does get used alot, whether you can manage to lift something etc. it's a little outdated and is no longer a valid point really..the whole lifting issue, because you have various lifting devices for this purpose also if you haven't got these at your disposal regardless of whether your a "man or women" if something is that heavy then neither of you would be lifting it on your own, you'd ask for help simple as...you don't get paid enough to break your back! next time this issue is raised bring this point up but leave out the last part:)..anyway good luck with knocking the hinges off your door!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

Sandy in East Texas in Winnsboro, Texas said: Are you in the United States or England? I just noticed your address. I was thinking you where in the US, does that mean it is that way all over the world.

hi, sorry for late reply wasn't sure whether question was aimed at me..anyway yes i live in england where it rains roughly 40 days of the year!!!..if your lucky:)

Sandy in East Texas in Scroggins, Texas

73 months ago

It is not about the weight it is about an excuse not to hire. I was told by one company that I did not weigh enough and he would not even give me an application to fill out. This was a goverment company in Fort Worth Texas. I found out later it was because the welder that was there did not want a women welder working there. Another told me that I would have to use the rest room with 126 men because they did not have any facilities for women and that they only paid minimum wage. This company is a well know company even today. I was hired at one place and the next day when I went in to go to work he told me he could not hire me because his wife kept him up all night (he looked like he had been drug behind a simi truck from being up all night) and said he was not going to hire me. I was told she came in and stayed in the office that day to make sure he did not hire me. I have applied at other jobs and was told by some of the guys that worked their that as soon as I walked out they threw my application in the trash. I had alot of experience so that was not the reason. I was told by one company that I would have to listen to cussin, like that would be the first for me. I passed my welding test for one company and he said to me "I don't know what to do now". I could go on and on. I have alot more stories. I was told by one just recently that he thought it would be a distraction to have a women on the job. I know what it is like and it sure gets old.

Sandy in East Texas in Scroggins, Texas

73 months ago

I thought it rained all the time in England.

molly in Calgary, Alberta

72 months ago

Hi there,
This is my first reply on the site and I hope I do it correctly. I am a 37 yr old woman who made a huge career change into welding.
As for getting a foot in the door..... I literally went from shop to shop with resumes in hand and asked to speak to the shop forman. Finally, my pavement pounding paid off and I was given a shot. I will likely get indentured in 2 months and start schooling at a community college here in Canada. I had been warned about the discrimination in the trade but feel that i am relatively prepared for it as I have worked in male dominated environments my entire life.
I hope you get your opportunity soon Lorena.

Angelann in Mayville, Michigan

72 months ago

I am also a certifed welder. I've only been out of high school for two years and have als obeen having a hell of a time trying to get into a welding shop. So far I've only worked in one actual fab shop, and they (unjustly) laid me off after about six months of hiring me claiming 'lack of work'.
I spoke to a man representing a well known business at a job fair and after babbling on and on about how bizarre a women welder is he blantanly avoided giving me and information about potentially hiring into the business.
I'm plenty qualified and eager. I'm thrilled that I'm not the only one having this same struggle. Would love to talk more with you girls.

72 months ago

no your definately not the only one!!..it can be very frustrating, it was a relief to come across this site and hear about other people's experiences...sanity saving:).keep plugging away at applying for jobs and maybe do abit of extra research to further yourself,you will come across something eventually. Best of luck and have a good 1! joss

72 months ago

Sandy in East Texas in Scroggins, Texas said: I thought it rained all the time in England.

hi, just to keep you up to date..it's now snowing instead of raining! anyway hows things going?

Ruth Perry in Fort Mcmurray, Alberta

71 months ago

It feels like a very long road but im pushing on. And Ill get there. I believe its people like us who will make it easier for the women after us. I recently was working in Calgary AB and now attending my 1st yr welder at Keyano collage. I think maybe the best way to taking descrimination is to sort of make a joke out of it. If you can take it : you can dish it out too. I was fortunate enough to be able to say things back to the owner (jokeingly) About the tasks that I could do compared to some of the other workers. Everybody has more strenght in something. Im not a small girl but not a large one either. Although I have worked with other men that were smaller than me or taller than me but weighed the same. I used to hear lots of hurtful words about "where women belong" In a way I think my old foreman may have just used to say it to test me -Over and over. But what are we to do when we pass out over 100 resumes - we dont want to loose our job. So when im finished my schooling Im going to see what the Union (as well as many other places) has to offer me back in Calgary. Any words from the ladies on what the Union is like working for. Wish me luck.

71 months ago

Hi Ruth I have been in this for over 35 years and the thing that I have learned is to keep knocking on door and one will open. Once you get through your school and get into the welding field. Strive to get into a position where you are the boss so you can start hiring women and prove that women can do just as good and even better in some cases. I heard all the statements about where a women belongs. Their view is there problem not mine. I think it is a lack of self confindence in them selves because they are threatened by a women being able to do what they do. I have the years of experience the shop and the truck and I still deal with it. It is just pure ignorance on theiry part. One of the problems I believe is that we are few and far between. It is hard to make a difference when there is not to many women wanting to be welders. Maybe there is and we just don't hear about them. Usually they take a few lessons but then they don't persue it or they have a boyfriend or husband that says NO and that is that. I have seen that happen. I know that God has helped me get where I am today and if you belive in prayer lift a prayer up to him and I know he will help you too. When I think of all the things I have heard from men about being a women doing what I do it make me laugh after I get over being mad. You have to laugh and just keep going and just don't give up. I contune to learn different things and add to the abilities I already have. I took my alumunum welding ability and went to school and I now fix boat props and fix cavatation plates and skegs on boats. I also weld on poontoon boats in my area. Very few do that so that adds to your options. I went to blacksmithing school and started building custom made furniture. There are several women metal artist one is Corrina Spehora Mensoff read her story she gets big bucks for her work. Also check out Dixie Jewitt. You can join the blacksmith assoctation in your area. Lots of differnet directions to go.

jeffery19677 in Elba, Alabama

71 months ago

joss in Birmingham, United Kingdom said: i am a women Tig welder, with over 10years of experience,coded upto asme 9 having worked in the pharmaceutical industry,with a H.N.C in mechanical engineering. i wanted the opportunity to write of my experience's within the welding trade(er no....not really i'm venting my frustration really!) i have had a mixture of good and bad experiences since i started in this trade,on the positive side i've worked at some good places with some brilliant blokes but i have to say these are few and far between. After being in the welding trade for the last 10 yrs,I'm finding it very fustrating i have had to leave a number of workplaces(not without a fighting my corner i might add) due to sexual discrimination, sexual harrassment and yes sad to say even assault! Some of the time i am out of work despite being more skilled and qualified than most !

Joss,
I am embarrissed to say that it does happen. Too much. I know one woman welder who got around the trouble. She hooked up with a group of "high reputation" tube welders. The guys she travel with are above average welders like her. She is now developing her reputation. Instead of being called "that girl who travels with the Turner brothers' bunch" , she is now Sarah. Bosses still don't know her last name, but they know she is a good hand.
BTW, She is NOT dating any of the guys. She says they are all her brothers.

hunter in Greenville, Alabama

71 months ago

to all,I would just like to say that i hate to hear all the stories of discrimination because you are women. My grandmother became a welder in ship yards and making knives during ww2. In fact i've still got a few knives she made. It's good to hear of people stepping outside the steriotipical box in society to make a livin' doin what they love. Good luck to all.

DryRiver in Pembroke Pines, Florida

71 months ago

hunter in Greenville, Alabama said: to all,I would just like to say that i hate to hear all the stories of discrimination because you are women. My grandmother became a welder in ship yards and making knives during ww2. In fact i've still got a few knives she made. It's good to hear of people stepping outside the steriotipical box in society to make a livin' doin what they love. Good luck to all.

Thanks Hunter, its nice to know that some know what women welder go through to secure a job. The first place I worked in Buford Ga. building boats, the guys all threatened to quit when I was hired and this was in 86 mind ya. Well those guys turned out to become some of my best friends and I was the only woman to ever work all through the plant. The place finally closed in 98, and I moved to Arkansas to build marine jet engines for 4 years. When the company was sold back to the original owner there were lay-offs, and being the only woman I was on that list. Have been wood carving realistic fish for the last 3 years but want to return to welding again. Of all the jobs that was the most enjoyable. What amazed me is down here is south Florida it is the WORST place for a woman to be in the welding field. Have never ever come across more morons in my life, which surprised me. So am heading back to Arkansas were women are more accepted in the field. I have over 25 years of metal fabrication, management and fabrication and its not easy finding work these days. And God love your Grandma too, without her it would be even rougher for us women today! dry~

Ervin in minnesota

71 months ago

As it was back in the days when i started as a welder in the mid 70's It was hard to find work as a black man down south with out dealing the "N" word. you as woman must not give up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dryriver in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

71 months ago

Ervin in minnesota said: As it was back in the days when i started as a welder in the mid 70's It was hard to find work as a black man down south with out dealing the "N" word. you as woman must not give up.

Thanks Ervin, I have not given up, and too tough an old bird too, that or hard headed as a mule? I turned my welding into helping me wood carve realistic fish. All the tools over the years I have been able to put to use so far. But I miss welding aluminum and working with the guys. Building with metal is something I really enjoyed. Our best friends are Black and have heard horror stories about how they were treated, yet they do not allow the hate to fill their hearts. A blessing for us and them. I did not get into welding till 84 in Georgia, and that was NOT the best place to begin a career, but it worked out. I have never asked a man to change my gas bottle, or weld anywhere I would not. I did most of the welding in the coffins up in the bow of the boats, and when I took over the shop, any many who refused to work anywhere in the shop, got shown the door dam fast. It is surprising how many men refused to work for me too, but I feel I had the best of the best in my shop too. Somewhere there is a company I hope that will take the knowledge I have gained in welding & fabrication and put it to use. Again all the very best! dry~

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

It is not about our ability it about the mind set of people. I have been told many times that I was a very good worker and welder. It is the mentality of the people. I found it in other areas that I worked not just welding. I drove a cemet truck and it was the same. All the time I have been in this business it has not changed. I think it changed for the blacks because there was enough people to stand together to make a change. There is not enough women welders to even make a ripple.

baddwelder in Van Buren, Arkansas

70 months ago

sandy im a new welder that just certified G6 in 2007 im a man and i think its great to hear that there are female welders out there and would be honored to work with them if the time comes thanks for being a welder freind sandy

70 months ago

Thanks, I know all men are not aganist women welders I have worked with some real neat men. It is just very hard to get in a door. Once I was hired I never had any trouble but boy getting in was tough sometimes. I certified 6G but have not used it. I never got one chance to. Alot of them said oh yes we will call you but that never happened. Thank you again for your positive attitude toward us few and far between women welders.

Buckskin and diamonds in Saukville, Wisconsin

70 months ago

Hi I am 20 and I've just started taking welding classas at the MATC in my area. I've been in school at Cardinal Stritch and UW Platteville for 2 years and I just don't want to do it anymore. I'm in my first welding class and I love it and I'm to my surprise, pretty good. I love it and find it so relaxing. I just want to always make that perfect weld. I was wondering if you have any advice. I have yet to talk to a counselor about what I am going to go to school for but I was wondering what there is out there for certifications, where are the best schools and what I'm looking at for time in school. MATC in my area offers a 1year program that gives you a welding diploma and goes over all the basics, arc mig tig, flux, gas and so on. Thanks so much and its awesome to see other women in the field. I'm the only girl in my class and the bois make it blatantly obvious that they've never seen a girl welding before! Thanks so much!!

70 months ago

I am not sure I can answer all of your questions but I will try. You can get into metallurgy engineering. Alot would depend on what you are looking for. I would get all the classes I could on welding and look for an area where you would be the over seeing the welders. As you get older the phyical part of it is not that much fun. Another thing is that going to school is one thing and getting into the field is another. When you get out of school and start looking for work that is when the problems begin because of what we been talking about. Discrimination in the work force, and it is live and well no matter what they tell you. What you learn in school is just basic, when you get out of school is when you really start learning. School and Work place is alot different. You might be able to get a job easier in a manufaturing company than in the field. Aluminum is a good area to go into. If you don't mind working inside all the time. I am in the US where are you? You can get certifed but you will have to test every time you apply for a job so the paper you get in school won't help if you don't pass their test. Sometimes the school will help you find a job, you might ask them.

slagbuster75 in Shreveport, Louisiana

70 months ago

Sandy, and all other girls.Try the oil&gas plants in south louisiana and texas.I've worked with alot of female welders out there.And all have done good jobs.Some companies to try:JV PIPEN,SHAW,IDC,Give this guy a call.He's with IDC (Ross Rumfolen)

70 months ago

Thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

Hey sandy I'm in Wisconsin... and I'm just at the local tech school for the one year program... I'd really like to actually be doing the welding to start off and get more education when i decide its too much for me. but i really just love hands on work where im making things... do you know how certifications work... What I'm getting is just a 'welding diploma' like u said just will cover the basics... how do i specialize in different areas? And what are the best areas to specialize in? I also don't want to be in school forever. I'd like to get into work and take classes here and there.

70 months ago

Do you want to work outside or inside. Do want to travel or stay close to home? The certifcations depends on what you want to do. If you weld on bridges it takes one, pipe takes another. If you want to weld on airplanes it takes another. Structural welding is another area and you have to work sometimes very high in the air, does that bother you? When I got out of school a hundred years ago I just started looking for any job I could get in welding and went from there. Do you mind working in the heat or cold all day? These are some of the questions to ask yourself. That would determine what certifcations you would need. Decide what area you want to work and that will determine the certifcation you will need. Aluminum, stainless or steel and there is cast.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

Sandy in East Texas in Winnsboro, Texas said: Do you want to work outside or inside. Do want to travel or stay close to home? The certifcations depends on what you want to do. If you weld on bridges it takes one, pipe takes another. If you want to weld on airplanes it takes another. Structural welding is another area and you have to work sometimes very high in the air, does that bother you? When I got out of school a hundred years ago I just started looking for any job I could get in welding and went from there. Do you mind working in the heat or cold all day? These are some of the questions to ask yourself. That would determine what certifcations you would need. Decide what area you want to work and that will determine the certifcation you will need. Aluminum, stainless or steel and there is cast.

I'd rather work outside but id settle for inside to get some experience... I'd like to stay close to home... I don't mind working in the hot or cold.. i work on a farm right now and i work all though wisconsin summers and winters outside... as for bridges, pipes, airplanes, or structural im not sure... where do you take classes to get certified in those areas?

70 months ago

If you can find a welding shop in your area that will let you get started I think that would be the best. That will help you get started on getting experience. In a shop you weld on everything that comes through the door. Some heavy metal some light metal. We did alot of manufaturing different things for people in the one I worked for and it would be a good place to start. I worked for a local shop for 8 years while my children where in school. I learned alot there. You do not have to have a certification to do that ,just some one that will give you a chance and teach you what they know.

DryRiver in Boca Raton, Florida

70 months ago

Angelann in Mayville, Michigan said: I am also a certifed welder. I've only been out of high school for two years and have als obeen having a hell of a time trying to get into a welding shop. So far I've only worked in one actual fab shop, and they (unjustly) laid me off after about six months of hiring me claiming 'lack of work'.
I spoke to a man representing a well known business at a job fair and after babbling on and on about how bizarre a women welder is he blantanly avoided giving me and information about potentially hiring into the business.
I'm plenty qualified and eager. I'm thrilled that I'm not the only one having this same struggle. Would love to talk more with you girls.

Lol, Angelann,
Alot of companies are like that, along with many men. Its like we have horns and hoofs when applying. Do not give up, you will find a job. Took me over 2 years to find a good manufacturing (yacht/boat) company to work for. But it was the greatest job I have had and lasted over 16 years. The man who owned it retired, closing the plant down. Am returning to welding again once I get moved. GOOD LUCK! dry~

70 months ago

Sandy in East Texas in Winnsboro, Texas said: If you can find a welding shop in your area that will let you get started I think that would be the best. That will help you get started on getting experience. In a shop you weld on everything that comes through the door. Some heavy metal some light metal. We did alot of manufaturing different things for people in the one I worked for and it would be a good place to start. I worked for a local shop for 8 years while my children where in school. I learned alot there. You do not have to have a certification to do that ,just some one that will give you a chance and teach you what they know.

Sandy,
Am curious if you worked out in the field? I found after a few years I am comfortable in a plant or shop, (was raising 5 teenagers also) Do you have a preference in metals? I liked the aluminum (up to an inch thick) and stainless welding the best of all, and preferred mig over tig. Got certified several times up to 5G but many do not realize that was for each boat we built or depending on the welding job we were doing. I am hoping now I am older to find another shop to work for when I return to Little Rock this year, am too old for the heat and cold anymore lol.. Have broken enough bones, been stitched too many times to go back into boat building I think. Want to settle for some non killer work for a change. And what is surprising is the older I have gotten the harder it is to find a company to work for. I have years of fabrication experience, so its not like I a green at this field. I am SO glad to hear a few of us older women are welding still. Thanks!!! dry

70 months ago

baddwelder in Van Buren, Arkansas said: sandy im a new welder that just certified G6 in 2007 im a man and i think its great to hear that there are female welders out there and would be honored to work with them if the time comes thanks for being a welder freind sandy

Hey there!!! I just saw you are in Arkansas baddwelder. I worked at NAMJ in Benton for 4 years before getting laid off building marine jet engines. Moved to south florida for a few years and am coming back home to little rock in about a month or 2. Of all the places I have lived, this is the WORST place for a woman to find a welding job. And the pay rate here period is bad across the board. Guess they have the mind set welders are not smart? Haven't a clue but cannot wait to get back to somewhere thats normal, which this place is as far as you can find. dry

buckskin and diamonds in Saukville, Wisconsin

70 months ago

I was wondering what schools are best to get certifications from. I don't mind traveling for school. Also, where did all you guys get your schooling done?

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.