Do overseas jobs pay a lot?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 113)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

Vince in Johnson City, Tennessee

65 months ago

This may be a stupid question, but I know a guy who got paid $250,000 for 6 months of welding work in Germany. He got the job from a guy who was getting paid $3 million for 6 years of work in Africa. I'm just wondering - is this typical of overseas welding jobs? If anyone knows of someone who has done this sort of gig, how did they get it and what skills were needed?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (453) / No (111) Reply - Report abuse

Old Timer in New Albany, Mississippi

65 months ago

Vince in Johnson City, Tennessee said: This may be a stupid question, but I know a guy who got paid $250,000 for 6 months of welding work in Germany. He got the job from a guy who was getting paid $3 million for 6 years of work in Africa. I'm just wondering - is this typical of overseas welding jobs? If anyone knows of someone who has done this sort of gig, how did they get it and what skills were needed?

I ind it hard to believe any one would be paid this much to be a welder. Germany is full of highly skilled welders

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (61) / No (33) Reply - Report abuse

Troy Robinson in Camden, South Carolina

65 months ago

Iam looking for a job oversea welding or operating machines.
SUMMARY
(Really looking for overseas work).
I am interested in furthering my career by working for a company which might benefit from my experience in welding and machining.
I trained and learned different types of welding at F. E. DuBose Career Center which is now Central Carolina in Manning South Carolina.Mig, Tig, Aluminum and Stick Welding is tanut and learn here. I have experience in operating different types of industrial machinery, 3 Axis Machining Center (Monarch) used for machining/milling anything from misc parts to ATM Boltwork.
I have experience in operating Genesis Robot(Robotic Welder).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (22) Reply - Report abuse

Holly Shores in Wylie, Texas

62 months ago

Vince in Johnson City, Tennessee said: This may be a stupid question, but I know a guy who got paid $250,000 for 6 months of welding work in Germany. He got the job from a guy who was getting paid $3 million for 6 years of work in Africa. I'm just wondering - is this typical of overseas welding jobs? If anyone knows of someone who has done this sort of gig, how did they get it and what skills were needed?

We are very interested in moving overseas for welding work. Does anyone know how or whom to contact?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (175) / No (41) Reply - Report abuse

Diane in Beaumont, Texas

60 months ago

trying in Darlington, South Carolina said: There is a company called KGB that hires qualified welders, fitters, etc to go overseas to places like Iraq. A couple of my buddies are preparing to go now. It's not an easy process but well worth it (but not with the stupid large amount of money that you suggest).

are you sure that company isn't called KBR

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

TheOriginalSkeeter in Norfolk, Virginia

60 months ago

Diane in Beaumont, Texas said: are you sure that company isn't called KBR

kgb is russian itel agency.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

jackie in Chatham, New Jersey

59 months ago

someone bought kbr its no longer called that

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

KERBE in San Angelo, Texas

58 months ago

Well dont waste your time with KBR there the lowest paid contractors over seas.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

plz contact me in Hyderabad, India

57 months ago

You are still looking for the job. Please et me know. please mail the details to deepthi5555@gmail.com
I am interested in furthering my career by working for a company which might benefit from my experience in welding and machining.
I trained and learned different types of welding at F. E. DuBose Career Center which is now Central Carolina in Manning South Carolina.Mig, Tig, Aluminum and Stick Welding is tanut and learn here. I have experience in operating different types of industrial machinery, 3 Axis Machining Center (Monarch) used for machining/milling anything from misc parts to ATM Boltwork.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

json in Atlanta, Georgia

57 months ago

is the ability to travel really a huge asset in the beginning years of welding? is so is the pay better or is it just part of paying the dues?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Weezle in Tecumseh, Michigan

57 months ago

json in Atlanta, Georgia said: is the ability to travel really a huge asset in the beginning years of welding? is so is the pay better or is it just part of paying the dues?

I can tell you with certainty that a "green" hand in the field pays much better traveling than a hand that stays stationary. I grad. from Lincoln in 1990 and went directly into elevated water towers and made more there than i could've anywhere around home. Requires travel but great if you're single. With strong work ethic, skill and a desire to learn, you will climb the ladder at a fairly rapid pace in this field.
Contacts:
Chicago Bridge (Indianapolis)
Caldwell tank (louisville, ky)
If that does'nt suit you then go to the ship yards around Norfolk,va, Mobile AL,
or try your luck with offshore work... get out on a rig and make a decent buck but on the water for a week or two at a time... But if you really want to make the good bucks then get enrolled in one of the schools out east for submerged welding..(under water).. up front expense around $15,000 but the payoff is unlimited!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

welder1 in Decatur, Alabama

57 months ago

cody staples in York, Pennsylvania said: im soon about to graduate from a tech. school and need a welding job

there are no welding jobs in alabama if you can live off 12.00 an hr good luke that is all alabama has to ofer welders

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

welder1 in Decatur, Alabama

57 months ago

Don M Brookshire in Middleburg, Florida said: To obtain and secure a position with a company where my 29 years of experience as a pipewelder and pipefitter and structural steel fitter certificate of Qualifications in UA-21 and mig and fluxcore and stick I am a member of plumber and pipefitter Local Union 234 My email donmbrookshire@netzero.com need to go to work ASAP Thank you very much9

you want be a member any more if you go none union.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

sorry.... mis-understood

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

What is so obvious about a 4yr power plant contract in New Zealand??
I didnt contact this fella, he contacted me and knew my background. I went through the entire application process including getting a passport. A week after i received my passport he advised me that there was a up front fee to cover some of the travel cost and all the fees would be reimbursed to me upon my the completion of my 1st 6 months. This is when i checked with the states attorneys office in Kansas and Oklahoma since this is where i was sending my medical and application material.
Why am i even waisting my time with an idiot like you anyway??

All you honest folks out there just take the warning serious if you are to pursue work across the pond..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

bogdan in New Westminster, British Columbia

56 months ago

I use to live in Germany and I don't believe that.When you say 250,000 dollars or 3 mil.. you have to realize that with those money you can hire a bunch of welders good to fit in a medium size company,especially in Germany.By the way I'm welder.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Ray in Tampere, Finland

55 months ago

I've met many people over the years who say they made a whole lot of money on some jobs but then are working with me on regular/normal wages, so i guess we all sometimes make a lot more than today??!! Also, i did a lot of plumbing back in America and loved every moment of it, have a Merry Christmas America!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

rigtruck2000 in Fairfield, California

54 months ago

Don M Brookshire in Middleburg, Florida said: To obtain and secure a position with a company where my 29 years of experience as a pipewelder and pipefitter and structural steel fitter certificate of Qualifications in UA-21 and mig and fluxcore and stick I am a member of plumber and pipefitter Local Union 234 My email donmbrookshire@netzero.com need to go to work ASAP Thank you very much9

why doesnt the " UNION " find you a job ????????????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

khietnguyen in Beaumont, Texas

54 months ago

please give me name company because i want to aplly .....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

kella in League City, Texas

54 months ago

my husbands brother left offshore to africa for 2 months only and made 20 thousand dollars.. of coarse tax was deducted but i belive welders can make that much in a lil period of time expecially if you have the skills to do so... he was only welding with stick stuctural welding which really isnt that hard of a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

khietnguyen in Beaumont, Texas

54 months ago

Can you please send me the name of the company so I can apply for the job? You can also give me the phone number instead. I'm a welder for 17 years. Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

slow in Whitesboro, New York

54 months ago

khietnguyen in Beaumont, Texas said: Can you please send me the name of the company so I can apply for the job? You can also give me the phone number instead. I'm a welder for 17 years. Thank you.

be carefull lot of scams out there,
u need to stay out of country for 18 months to be tax free
and thats up to 80,000.00 the rest is taxed thanks to bush 1

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Holly in Plano, Texas

54 months ago

I would love to know how to get in contact with the right person to work overseas ! Please, please let me know. I am VERY interested in working in GERMANY as a Welder!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MY DREAM!!!! Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

slow

54 months ago

germany has very high skilled tradesmen. if ur looking for big bucks this is'nt the place. for octoberfest then apply

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

slow

54 months ago

wheres the facts to this post, no company, no number an no names to verify. /here say/
bottom line if they request money for a job, run like hell.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

slow

54 months ago

if you know this person ask him ,don't believe every thing u hear ,base it on hard facts

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

slow

54 months ago

silentmonkey in Airdrie, Alberta said: contact s.o.c.southern oil company of iraq.they re trying to build an entire country.and they pay a butt load

they hire people from lower paid countrys,phillipeens,india,etc. for labor. try saudi aramco it's one of your safer places,kuwait was looking for mig welders a while back.
first get your ten year passport around $180. dollars through the post office,so when a job does come up you'll have part of the process started. irag is still very dangerous. kbr an haliburton are very low pay with some hitches so read the fine print before u sign on the dotted line.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

slow

54 months ago

KBR.... KELLOG BROWN & ROOT

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Old Timer in New Albany, Mississippi

54 months ago

slow said: they hire people from lower paid countrys,phillipeens,india,etc. for labor. try saudi aramco it's one of your safer places,kuwait was looking for mig welders a while back.
first get your ten year passport around $180. dollars through the post office,so when a job does come up you'll have part of the process started. irag is still very dangerous. kbr an haliburton are very low pay with some hitches so read the fine print before u sign on the dotted line.

For the most part Saudi Aramco hires very few westerners as craft people such as welders or electricians.Most of these type people are Asians of some type. They do hire westerners as drillers and well services and in engineering roles.

D Freer in West Bromwich, United Kingdom

54 months ago

I used this website while looking for a new job : www.oilandgasjobsearch.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

swamp in Derby, United Kingdom

53 months ago

hi all i am 36yrs old and been a welder since i was 16 mig,mma and tig i have been doing pipe welding on power staitions at the mo but i am very intrested in working overseas europe or canada etc could anybody help me? many thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

miketg23 in Fort Mcmurray, Alberta

53 months ago

Not right now they don't, and neither does the U.A (pipefitters) but also as foreigner you would have to look into getting some type of work visa or a company to sponsor you.

overseas

53 months ago

check overseasjobs.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

miketg23 in Fort Mcmurray, Alberta

53 months ago

If you haven't made a half million dollars in 16 years you are either A) Not a very good welder B) Terrible at math (0.5 million into 16 years is only 31250/year) C) Grossly underpaid. Though a half million seems way too much, I made almost 150k two years ago and there were people that did quite a bit better than I did.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

CANADA

53 months ago

miketg23 in Fort Mcmurray, Alberta said: Not right now they don't, and neither does the U.A (pipefitters) but also as foreigner you would have to look into getting some type of work visa or a company to sponsor you.

The work starts in march, up in the oil sands an around alberta.
It's true you have to go through the visa process with immagration, back ground check. On the other hand canadians just drive across the boarder into the U.S. and go to work thanks to the politicians , it's a one way policey. They need 400 pipe welders and 600 mechanics. in alberta.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

germany

53 months ago

I like the dream world.
We are all unemployed, no health insurance etc.
Let's all go to germany an get drunk we'll fit right in.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

foreigner

53 months ago

miketg23 in Fort Mcmurray, Alberta said: Not right now they don't, and neither does the U.A (pipefitters) but also as foreigner you would have to look into getting some type of work visa or a company to sponsor you.

Contact any Boilermaker union hall in the united states for information.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

miketg23 in Edmonton, Alberta

53 months ago

foreigner said: Contact any Boilermaker union hall in the united states for information.

You would have to be a member of the Boilermakers to gain any benefit from doing this. It costs a lot of money to arrange these visas and they won't give them to just anyone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

WISCONSIN

53 months ago

welder in Hartland, Wisconsin said: welding for 12years and i am done. f-it. so sick of freezing my a** off and getting burned at the same time. I just now have enough experience to earn 18/hr+, but all welding jobs in WI seam to have disappeared or else they pay 10-12/hr. I may as well shovel sh*t into the wind.

The late 80s early 90s where just as bad as they are now.With multiple slow periods in between
The bad times do pass,thats why you have to save for a rainy day ,months or years.
Keep your toys to a minimun, big houses, bran new trucks etc.
6 months of work an 6 months of wheres the work. So many welders make this mistake when the boom is on, thinking it will never end.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

scotty in Schleswig, Germany

53 months ago

This may be a stupid question, but I know a guy who got paid $250,000 for 6 months of welding work in Germany. He got the job from a guy who was getting paid $3 million for 6 years of work in Africa. I'm just wondering - is this typical of overseas welding jobs? If anyone knows of someone who has done this sort of gig, how did they get it and what skills were needed?

utter bull, I work as a welder in Germany and get 15 euro an hour

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Downhill Racer in Wooster, Ohio

53 months ago

Is the pay any higher overseas if you're a pipeline welder that has passed some tough welding tests, and can weld in any position electric or aceteline???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

oerseas

53 months ago

Downhill Racer in Wooster, Ohio said: Is the pay any higher overseas if you're a pipeline welder that has passed some tough welding tests, and can weld in any position electric or aceteline???

try overseasjobs.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

luda in Lake Charles, Louisiana

53 months ago

Old Timer in New Albany, Mississippi said: For the most part Saudi Aramco hires very few westerners as craft people such as welders or electricians.Most of these type people are Asians of some type. They do hire westerners as drillers and well services and in engineering roles.

i agree, i served in iraq twice as a soldier, now im no longer in the military and want to go back as a welder,trying to figure out how by the way. and kuwait would be considered the safest of the several choices also germany

JVN in Seattle, Washington

50 months ago

Don't ever work for German company, they will rip you off. Trust me !!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

JVN in Seattle, Washington

50 months ago

Maybe Chinese $ money not USD though

lisa.stackhouse@us.randstad.com in Marietta, Georgia

50 months ago

I can't help you with an overseas job but would be happy to help you with a possible opportunity in Savannah, Ga. I am working with a large manufacturing company seeking strong machinist with TIG welding experience. If you are interested in speaking with me please contact me at lisa.stackhouse@us.randstad.com.

thanks,
Lisa

Troy Robinson in Camden, South Carolina said: Iam looking for a job oversea welding or operating machines.
SUMMARY

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

C.W. Malc in Avon, Indiana

49 months ago

I a welder member of the Local 798 Pipeliners Union and last year with rig pay, per diem, and my hourly pay I earnes over 200k! We make $49 an hr on our arm, $15 an hr on our rig, and $102.50 a day per diem. I only worked 9 months, but we work no less than 60hrs/wk. On one job we were working close to 110 hrs/wk! Why go to some place that sucks when you can stay in the good ole USA and make good $$$$! Get a rig setup, contact the Local 798, and fill out an app! GO UNION! Buy American, and Stay Proud!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Jarvis & steven in Carrollton, Texas

49 months ago

i mean applytion papers or let us know that something thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

salty dog in Mountain View, California

49 months ago

Weezle in Tecumseh, Michigan said: I can tell you with certainty that a "green" hand in the field pays much better traveling than a hand that stays stationary. I grad. from Lincoln in 1990 and went directly into elevated water towers and made more there than i could've anywhere around home. Requires travel but great if you're single. With strong work ethic, skill and a desire to learn, you will climb the ladder at a fairly rapid pace in this field.
Contacts:
Chicago Bridge (Indianapolis)
Caldwell tank (louisville, ky)
If that does'nt suit you then go to the ship yards around Norfolk,va, Mobile AL,
or try your luck with offshore work... get out on a rig and make a decent buck but on the water for a week or two at a time... But if you really want to make the good bucks then get enrolled in one of the schools out east for submerged welding..(under water).. up front expense around $15,000 but the payoff is unlimited!!!

I'm in california, what schools out east do you recomend?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

sprinkle7 in Savannah, Georgia

49 months ago

A good idea is to set up job agents on job sites. Use keywords such as welding & overseas. The new jobs will then be sent directly to your email. I have received a few in my inbox, but most require clearances. You may get lucky, but always research the companies to be sure they are legitimate.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.