Does ANYONE hire inexperienced welders?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (46)

Zxcvasdf in Tulsa, Oklahoma

62 months ago

Over 1 month ago I graduated from Tulsa Welding School. Since then, I've done everything I can think of to find work, but because I have no prior workplace welding experience, NO ONE will even interview me or allow me to take a weld test, they simply tell me I'm not what they're looking for. My situation is that I need experience to get work, I need work to get experience. What do I need to do to even get a chance at a job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (209) / No (28) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

I've searched for volunteering, internship, and apprenticeship opportunities for me, and haven't found anything at all, experience required or not. I do not own the tools and facilities I would need to start a small business, nor do I have enough credit or collateral to take out a small business loan.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

AsktheCareerLady in East Bay, California

62 months ago

Guide

Sometimes it's not about "finding" an opportunity but creating one. You have to be very proactive and determined. Can you volunteer at your school as a teaching assistant in the welding classes? Have you contacted the school's career services department to find out if they have any leads? What comes up for "welding" in your local area at superpages.com? Have you cold-called all of them to ask if you can intern or volunteer with their organization?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

The school only hires full time instructors, no volunteers, with very extensive and wide ranging experience required. As for their career services department, the only opportunity they currently have isn't even a sure thing, but representatives from Northrop Grumman MIGHT be coming to tour the facilities and MIGHT be willing to test graduates for POSSIBLE employment at certain gulf coast shipyards. I'm keeping tabs on this possibility, but given the uncertainties I'd like to find more opportunities.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

AsktheCareerLady in East Bay, California

62 months ago

Guide

The school itself isn't going to "hire" you as a volunteer. What you need to do is go to an instructor who liked you and ask if you can assist him in any way to build continued experience in the field.

You didn’t respond regarding cold-calling companies – have you tried this? Have you tried touching base with other classmates to see what they are doing? Have you asked other welders how they obtained their first professional welding experience?

Getting your first entry-level job isn’t easy work but it’s the first step to building your career in any industry. The more time that you allow to go by, the more difficult it is going to get to find something. You’ll need to think outside the box and get creative on how you can begin building experience right now and put 110% effort into it.

Good luck!

--
Megan Pittsley
Career Advisor
[Contact information has been removed by a forum moderator]

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

Most of the results on superpages are companies that sell welding equipment, a few weld shops that either aren't hiring at all or won't hire someone without experience; And as for volunteering, for liability reasons the school only allows instructors and students to use the equipment. And as for the other posts in the thread talking about how much opportunity there is, those opportunities are only being offered to those with experience. You have to understand that bad welding is at best expensive to fix, and at worst will reduce expensive materials to scrap metal, so companies are naturally hesitant to hire anyone without experience.

On the hopeful side, Northrop has confirmed that they will send inspectors and HR reps to the school and will test graduates, and passing a test automatically qualifies for a job offer, so I just need to get some practice to ensure that I can pass. I don't particulalry want to move to the gulf coast, but I'll do what I have to.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jeff

62 months ago

On the upside we're getting into hurricane season, so there will likely be things needing repair in the next few months down there. Just be sure to have a reliable means of escape ;-D

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

xyz in Richmond, Virginia

61 months ago

Have you looked into the local union?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in Roosevelt, Philippines

47 months ago

The very first step you have to do is think positively.
Opportunities come to those people who has positive outlook in life.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

pjs in Tulsa, Oklahoma

47 months ago

Zxcvasdf in Tulsa, Oklahoma said: Over 1 month ago I graduated from Tulsa Welding School. Since then, I've done everything I can think of to find work, but because I have no prior workplace welding experience, NO ONE will even interview me or allow me to take a weld test, they simply tell me I'm not what they're looking for. My situation is that I need experience to get work, I need work to get experience. What do I need to do to even get a chance at a job?

Have you had any luck yet? i'm curious because i seem to be in the same boat as you were. TWS's idea of employment assistance is to give graduates a list of temp agencys. This sucks, i learned a lot but with no experience it almost seems i could have saved my money and started out as a grinder or helper since thats the way its looking so far in my job search

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ray in Paris, Texas

46 months ago

go2turnerpipe n paris tx hire n as helper or tacker tig tacker 2 be exact i went 2 paris weld school but i learned how 2 weld really good all alloys i been doing it every since then i quit but i travel on tha road now makn big MONEY

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

daryl in Tulsa, Oklahoma

46 months ago

Zxcvasdf in Tulsa, Oklahoma said: Over 1 month ago I graduated from Tulsa Welding School. Since then, I've done everything I can think of to find work, but because I have no prior workplace welding experience, NO ONE will even interview me or allow me to take a weld test, they simply tell me I'm not what they're looking for. My situation is that I need experience to get work, I need work to get experience. What do I need to do to even get a chance at a job?

yeah i know exactly what you mean what are we to do??? go jobless and consider welding school a waste of money and a loss?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

John in Tulsa, Oklahoma

42 months ago

pjs in Tulsa, Oklahoma said: Have you had any luck yet? i'm curious because i seem to be in the same boat as you were. TWS's idea of employment assistance is to give graduates a list of temp agencys. This sucks, i learned a lot but with no experience it almost seems i could have saved my money and started out as a grinder or helper since thats the way its looking so far in my job search

I have known many people who have found welding jobs once they graduated from TWS. And most were with the leads that the Career Services had given them, they give assistance not placement, there is a big difference. As with any new graduate, whether from TWS, a community college or a four-year college- you are in charge of your own destiny.You may get leads, do job searches on your own, cold calling into companies, any way you must make the effort, be determined and have faith that there is a job for you out there. Maybe not today, tomorrow but in the future. I was laid off 2 years ago and it took me over a year to find a good job. It is a tough job market in every industry. One option you need to consider is relocating, there are TONS of companies needing entry level welders across the United States, and many of those companies offer relocation packages. Take a job in another state for 2-3 years to get that experience you need then move back home. Hope this helped!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

aarwelding@aol.com

42 months ago

Son your best bet would to try to find a job as a pipeline welders helper, There is a need for pipeline welders in Pa marcules shale, However If you have no hands on experince you will need to start as a helper Good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Need a Welder in Pompano Beach, Florida

41 months ago

I stumbled upon this forum while looking for a Welder to hire for the General Contractor I work for. Our office is based in Fort Lauderdale. We mainly do jobs in Broward County and Dade County currently. We need a welder, preferably a welder with a Welder's Certificate but a welder without a certificate also has an opportunity. If any local welders are interested in a job or know other welders looking for work, please have them email me at stephanie@charlandonstruction.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tulsa Welding School in Tulsa, Oklahoma

41 months ago

This post has recently been brought to my attention and I feel it is necessary to address your questions and concerns. First and foremost, I understand the frustrations you may be facing with your job search, it can be very time consuming and stressful. Let me introduce myself, I am the Business Development Coordinator in the Career Services Department at Tulsa Welding School, Tulsa, Ok. campus. I was recently hired on with Tulsa Welding School to focus on talking to and meeting companies, whether small or large, from across the United States who hire welders, they may have immediate needs or future needs to hire. Our overall goal is to build a long term relationship with these companies to have Tulsa Welding School as a resource for them to hire welders when that need may arise.

Some of these companies I talk to are struggling to find welders in their immediate area and have numerous welding positions available. I suggest to them that they have an opportunity to come here on-site to meet students who are interested in their company and what they have to offer and then to weld test and interview qualified applicants. This has been a great success so far, this month alone (April 2011) we have already had 3 companies come here to our campus from Denver, Colorado; Marlow, Oklahoma and Baxter Springs, Kansas. We do have some positive things and great opportunities going on here at Tulsa Welding School.

** We are here to offer “assistance” not “placement”, we can inform you of job opportunities, whether part time while you are attending TWS or opportunities after graduating, but cannot guarantee you a position with a company – it is ultimately up to the individual to apply, weld test and interview.

If you are still looking for employment or have any questions, I would highly recommend that you call us or stop by our office in Tulsa, Ok.

Thank you and we look forward to assisting you.

Career Services

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Combo#1 in Houston, Texas

35 months ago

Start out buy being a structral jurneyman welder in the plant thats wat i did

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Aakall123 in Humble, Texas

33 months ago

I graduated Tulsa welding school and found myself in the same situation. I broke out as a bullganger (laborer) building above ground storage company I now run crews of welders you have to be willing to work for it though, normally if your willing to travel and are smart with your money you can make 6 figures I started out at 18 an hr and 100 dollars a day per diem. I now make 35 an hr and a 100 a day per diem, it boils down to forcing yourself onto a company and maybe a little groveling for the opportunity. From there it's your work ethic on wether the foreman thinks your worth training

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Aakall123 in Humble, Texas

33 months ago

Aakall123 in Humble, Texas said: I graduated Tulsa welding school and found myself in the same situation. I broke out as a bullganger (laborer) for an above ground storage tanks company I now run crews of welders you have to be willing to work for it though, normally if your willing to travel and are smart with your money you can make 6 figures I started out at 18 an hr and 100 dollars a day per diem. I now make 35 an hr and a 100 a day per diem, it boils down to forcing yourself onto a company and maybe a little groveling for the opportunity. From there it's your work ethic on wether the foreman thinks your worth the time to train. I've thought the same thing was welding school really worth it, the answer Is yes it moves you along quite quicker than if you just start as a helper. You have to move where the work is or travel, and you have to be humble until you get that experience, learn to fit steel and work steel that's something that school can't teach you. As for Tulsa Welding School those folks should be ashamed of themselves funneling kids through there like that and not telling them or their folks what they really should expect upon graduation. So I'll do it for them, no your not going to be hired on as welder anywhere strait out of welding school making any kind of real money. The only companies that hire people straight out of welding school don't pay worth a dang anyhow and most likely they'll fire you before they teach u anything. You have to be willing to do helper type tasks and work your way to the experience that u need to make the money u want , trust me I've done it in the cold, heat, and sweat it's up to you don't rely on that school their a business preying on kids that feel like they have no options,

Pieter in Russellville, Arkansas

32 months ago

I am from South Africa, im curently in the USA. i am about to be a certyfied welder, i am willing to work all over the world. where can i start to look for jobs?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Damien in Okmulgee, Oklahoma

31 months ago

Definately shouldnt have wasted your money on TWS. I go to central tech in sapulpa and its a 6 month welding progam as well. But the only difference is its free if you get a welding job in oklahoma after finishing school. And if worst comes to worst, you should get a shop helper job and eventually make your way up in that company to be a welder.

annie in Brighton, Iowa

30 months ago

We have a job for you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Anne in Brighton, Iowa

30 months ago

We are hiring in Earlville, IA. Please contact me at anniem52631@gmail.com

kelly smith in Vermilion, Ohio

30 months ago

norfolk southern hires welders, Iam a lead welding instructor with 34 yrs. welding exp.belvue,oh is hiring

Tony Robbins in Edmonton, Alberta

30 months ago

Do you have two hands.And can stay alive for a shift?you will have a job in alberta.17 bucks an hour grinding all day....it builds character.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tony Robbins in Edmonton, Alberta

30 months ago

Do you have two hands.And can stay alive for a shift?you will have a job in alberta.17 bucks an hour grinding all day....it builds character.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

curtisbeverlya@johndeere.com in Davenport, Iowa

30 months ago

Check out John Deere! Please submit your application to www.johndeere.jobs, then go to Wage Opportunities. Thank you.

Schiz

30 months ago

What a lot of places/people don't tell you is school is experience. If you put 0 years of experience on an application, they ignore the rest. If you were in school for 18months, put a year and a half, and make them read your application to find out it was schooling.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

deaf welder in Everett, Washington

30 months ago

Schiz said: What a lot of places/people don't tell you is school is experience. If you put 0 years of experience on an application, they ignore the rest. If you were in school for 18months, put a year and a half, and make them read your application to find out it was schooling.

one of interviewed at Company not want to heard about school or Certificates but requires work experiences 3 yrs or more will hired welder. HR is Lady Can Be Make Easy Accept Me to take set up weld test( no exp or little work experiences) with have welder certificates,... If were that MAN of HR are big pain ass will not allowed to taking weld test; must have longer work experiences then will taking weld test!.I had experiences many cold-application asked "welder" since 3 years Graduated from training welder college for 2 half years! Think about it. I knew you are same as I have hard time to find job as same as in staffing temp service getting hard. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Angry At Tulsa in Montgomery, Alabama

28 months ago

While I appreciate your response to this post, I would like to add a few things about Tulsa Welding School. I am a mother of a recent graduate of your so called famous school. My son is still searching, looking, cold calling, and following the hot sheet emailed from the school. We had to borrow money for tuition pay as well as from the school, pay for living and food expenses for 7 months. This was hard my son did not work. We felt this was a great opportunity because the recruiter who got his fee first told us and I quote, "Every welder would leave Tulsa with a JOB! Not a lead. This is disheartening to these students especially thosae who in such a short time will have to began making payments for this overly priced education! We have been advised to report the school to the BBB because the recruiters are in fact telling these students that they will have a job once they graduate. I am sure not everyone all over the world is getting a misunderstanding, so it seems like your team should rethink and revise what you are telling people in order to get students to attend your school. You have a very bad name over thousands of blogs, so you should be extremely careful before your recruiter tells his/her next LIE!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

curtisbeverlya@johndeere.com in Davenport, Iowa

28 months ago

Check out John Deere! Go to www.johndeere.jobs, then Wage Opportunities & look through each location for welding positions. I see some of them say must meet ONE of these criteria; AA in welding, certificate in welding or 1 year experience. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Randy in East Peoria, Illinois

27 months ago

Caterpillar Inc is always hiring welders. $15.24 to start, and 60 days after that you get a $2.00 an hr weld retention bonus and raises every 6 months. It is a union shop under United Auto Workers. I have been there since 2010 and we still need a lot of welder.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

TulsaLatin80 in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

26 months ago

annie in Brighton, Iowa said: We have a job for you.
d
do you hire unexperienced welders??

HRSPECIALIST in Swift Current, Saskatchewan

26 months ago

Western Canadian Manufacturers are flying all over the world to find welders... If your willing to think outside the US you will find welding jobs.

tankwelder in Bay City, Michigan

25 months ago

Burch Tank in Mt. Pleasant Michigan is hiring tank craftsman! We are a tank trailer manufacturer looking for welders and fabricators. We would be more than happy to talk with persons looking to weld and willing to learn our specific trade; tig, mig, stainless, alum. and other apps. VISIT BURCHTANK.COM and EMAIL/CONTACT US. We will interview you and give you a weld test.

LOOKING FOR WORKERS IMMEDIATELY in Victoria, British Columbia

25 months ago

Are you looking for a position that can pay between 60-200K annually. Are you a skilled trades person from the list below? Would you be interested in leaving the United States and working in Canada? WE CAN HELP! According to a recent news article, "The U.S. government stated that Canada holds the world's second-largest oil reserves, taking into account Alberta oil sands previously considered too expensive to develop.

The Energy Information Administration, the statistical wing of the U.S. Department of Energy, has included recent private sector estimates that an additional 175 billion barrels of oil could be recovered from resources known to exist in Western Canada since the 19th Century.

POSITIONS CRITICALLY IN NEED ARE:
Crane Operators (CRITICALLY NEEDED)
Instrument Mechanics(CANADAIAN TERM) (HIGHLY CRITICALLY NEEDED)
Instrument fitters(USA TERM)(HIGHLY CRITICALLY NEEDED)
• • Drywall Finisher and Plasterer
• • Carpenter(CRITICALLY NEEDED)
• Electric Motor System Technician
Automotive Service Technician
Concrete Finisher
Construction Craft Worker
• Boilermaker
• Electricians (CRITICALLY NEEDED)
• • Heavy Duty Equipment Technician (CRITICALLY NEEDED)
Heavy Equipment Operator
Industrial Electrician (CRITICALLY NEEDED)
• Industrial Mechanic (Millwright) (CRITICALLY NEEDED)
• Instrumentation and Control Technician (CRITICALLY NEEDED)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

tonyrobles66@gmail.com in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

25 months ago

I GOT A WELDING TRAINING AND CERTIFICATE ONE YEAR PUERTO RICO AND TWO MOTHS IN MILWAUKEE CERTIFICATE I CAN DO STICK AND MIG;TIG,WIRE WELDING;BUT LIKE I SAY YOU HAVE WORK;I JUST MAKING 8 PER HR

brownjessea@gmail.com in San Antonio, Texas

24 months ago

TulsaLatin80 in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma said: d
do you hire unexperienced welders??

Maaaaaaan!!!! Quit calling yourself "unexperienced". The tone on it is just negative! If you went to school, you are not inexperienced. In my opinion (I own a welding/fabrication business) I would love to hire someone who took the time to go to school and knows the technical side. I can teach a toddler how to mig weld but I can't make him understand what size and strength of welding rod to use on a particular piece of metal.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

aboriginal in Miami, Florida

16 months ago

So what do we tell potential employers, do we say we have experience.the crazy thing is I on9w I can pass any mig, tig, fluxcore, or stick test, but everytime im honest and say I have no on the job experience I get treated like leapord.should I just lie.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

JarmarSatchell in Hampton, Virginia

15 months ago

I am a recent graduate from the Eastern Shore Community College in Virginia. I bust my ass for a year and a half have 8 certifications for different processes and positions and every time I apply for a job/career I get knocked down. It's very discouraging because I don't weld like a student out of college. Welders who see my work think that I been welding for years but that doesn't mean anything to these companies who continue to tell me that I need 4 to 5 years shipboard experience. When I attended school they was explaining how welders are in need but the instructor failed to say that you need at least 5 years experience. It really doesn't matter to them as long as they get their government grants and continue to collect their paycheck. It makes me so pissed because I'm very passionate about welding I want this to be my career but by the time a job do call I will be than lost my skill. With welding you can't just sit around because your skill will downgrade and than that means that you just wasted your time for nothing. All I do is fill out apps and do cold calls and that gets me no where just a few more grey strands of hair at the age of 33. When I wake up at 7:00AM I'm filling out apps and sending resumes off non stop all the way until 2:30AM 24/7. I would drive to these companies everyday but unfortunately there is a $17 toll to cross the Bay bridge which is ridiculous and if I do that 5 days a week that's a total of $85 not including gas. What is a brother to do?

Wench Deal in Newyork, United States minor outlying islands

11 months ago

Eastern Canadian Manufacturers are flying everywhere throughout the planet to find welders... Provided that you're ready to think outside the US you will find welding employments.

www.cairnssteel.com.au/

RossT in Calgary, Alberta

9 months ago

Did you visit your local Union? Move to North Dakota! :D Get on doing some Pipeline work! :D

RossT in Calgary, Alberta

9 months ago

JarmarSatchell in Hampton, Virginia said: I am a recent graduate from the Eastern Shore Community College in Virginia. I bust my ass for a year and a half have 8 certifications for different processes and positions and every time I apply for a job/career I get knocked down. It's very discouraging because I don't weld like a student out of college. Welders who see my work think that I been welding for years but that doesn't mean anything to these companies who continue to tell me that I need 4 to 5 years shipboard experience. When I attended school they was explaining how welders are in need but the instructor failed to say that you need at least 5 years experience. It really doesn't matter to them as long as they get their government grants and continue to collect their paycheck. It makes me so pissed because I'm very passionate about welding I want this to be my career but by the time a job do call I will be than lost my skill. With welding you can't just sit around because your skill will downgrade and than that means that you just wasted your time for nothing. All I do is fill out apps and do cold calls and that gets me no where just a few more grey strands of hair at the age of 33. When I wake up at 7:00AM I'm filling out apps and sending resumes off non stop all the way until 2:30AM 24/7. I would drive to these companies everyday but unfortunately there is a $17 toll to cross the Bay bridge which is ridiculous and if I do that 5 days a week that's a total of $85 not including gas. What is a brother to do?

MOVE TO NORTH DAKOTA! :D Visit your local Boilermaker Union! Don't be afraid to get in with a Union. Once you join, you can leave, and always come back later on, or stay with them for a while. Point is, get your foot in the door. Either on Pipeline work or through the union to work with Pipefitters or Boilermakers. Recommend Boilermakers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

DaleETI in Warren, Ohio

6 months ago

I am currently enrolled in a Combination Welding & Pipefitting program with 7 months left. I have to say this all was certainly helpful though a bit upsetting. I wonder if I'm looking at the same obstacles, I'll be sure to have some very pointed questions for my iinstructors as well as the main office. Good luck and stay sharp.

TWS Student in Tulsa, Oklahoma

5 months ago

I agree with the comments about Tulsa Welding School. The recruiters make promises they don't even attempt to keep. Maybe the problem is only with the recruiters so you go into it expecting too much, but most of the students in my class (including me) were disappointed. All of the office people are TERRIBLE to talk to and act like all you are is an interruption to their day. The shop instructors are mostly helpful and will teach you as much as they can in the short time they have you (new instructor every three weeks) so you do learn to weld and you learn a little bit about layouts, blueprints, etc. but its pretty much just learning the most common weld tests you will take. Just don't expect any more than that.

Jennifer M in Houston, Texas

4 months ago

I am looking for experienced Welders and Fitters who are interested in offshore work. Must live in TX, LA, MS, and be able to provide own transportation to crew change. MUST have US Passport.

Please contact Jennifer.Massari@spencer-ogden.com

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.