Give it to me straight up

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 154)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Olivia in Clarkston, Washington

75 months ago

Hi my name is Olivia. I am 20 and currently doing my prereqs the closest x-ray tech program in my area. I have to finish Medical terminology and do both A&P 1 and 2 that is all besides an aids class which I am not sure I actually need to do because I worked as a RNA last year and took a fundamentals of caregiving class which included a 7 or 8 hour class on that subject alone. The school which is close to me and is the regular program has switched to spring admittence instead of fall.... which might be good for me or might be bad. You see I am hardly tasking any classes this year on account that I just need the A&P classes so I am more or less doing those and waiting around for the next fall so I could start the program but now that they switched it to spring I think that I can get my classes in and put in an application great. The only bad news is that they are giving first picks to the ones that have their prereqs done with the fall quarter so if I don't get in that makes me wait 6 or so more months which really is upsetting to me because I am trying to get out of the town I currently live in and the only way I forsee that is by making more money ie) finishing school and working. Anyway I want to know a couple of things:
1) There is a Apollo type college a little further away that has no requirements for entry and that would in all likelihood accept some of my schooling and therefore let me start midway in their condensed type program what is your opinion of these types of schools?
2) I heard that the x-ray program is one year school and one year clinical is this true?
3) Is the program typically hard?
4) I read that vaccinations are required to work in this field, is this true,? Because I don't believe in the wide spread use of them is there some type of waver I can sing?
Thank you so much in advance for your help and sorry I am so long winded.
-Liv

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (37) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Olivia in Spokane, Washington

75 months ago

thanks for all the good information! In regards to my memorization it kicks ass. I did my cellular biology class with my eyes closed and got a decent grade (3.7) while everyone else was trying so hard and barley passed. Although my spelling skills are lacking. and I am almost done with my prereqs so that shouldn't be an issue either.

But my issues with vacs is that I don't want them. I am not afraid of being exposed to or catching most of these things. I don't belive that vacs are healthy. I do have a lot of them because I was not informed as a child and niether was my mother but I don't have all of them and I definittly don't have any of my boosters. I didn't attend public high school. But this is all stuff that I have plenty of time to worry about and don't need to burden you with.

Thank you so much for your humble opinion because I get consolers always telling me what a good field it is and so on.... and I just had the impression that they are just talking out there ass. They truly have no personal knowlage or first hand experiance. I have been directed to the nursing field by many but I just don't want to go to school for that long and am not excited by the idea of working in that area of the medical field. I am not very into their views on things (mainly that eveidence based medicine is NOT being practiced in the us). At least with xray tech stuff I don't morally disagree. Do you have any other suggestions.
Truly Thank You
Liv

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Butterbird in Glen Ellyn, Illinois

75 months ago

IMHO opinion, the X-ray field is a pretty descent field, if you get a job in it and depending on who you work with. I am in no regard a career councilor, so it is up to you to make your own decision.

It is good you are good at memorization. :) Because I'm not. :P My brain doesn't retain information like a sponge, instead it wants to figure out how something works (like an engineer). So even as I saw my peers thrive in Anatomy, I saw their grades dip when they took physiology or anything to do with radiation physics.

You were probably exposed to the standard childhood vaccines, no matter which type of school you went to, be it private or public, as it is a federal requirement (er I think hehe). My philosophy, I would rather be protected, than not, then again, when was the last time we saw smallpox going around? And as a little kid, we practically had no rights. hehe But I only take vaccines unless I REALLY have to, like the flu shot, I never get it, because one of the side-affects is. . . you got it. . .THE FLU.

I'm digressing from the subject. Nursing doesn't necessarily take 4 years to complete, in fact it takes the same amount of time as a rad tech! But instead of being called an RN, you would be called an LPN. (licensed practitioner of nursing) Job prospects are just as bad (or GOOD if you go into that field) as the RN, real bad shortage of em right now. If you aren't into nursing, go into sonography, you don't have to start as a Radtech to be one. You can also look into Dental Hygiene or dental assistant (again, a shortage of these two, hard to find them). Dental hygiene, probably has one the best degree to earning potential IMHO. Look at their salaries and you'll see what *I* mean. But, there's a trade off, there's no advancement, other than working at the dental office, no versatility, unlike rad-tech, where you can branch into other modalities. Start with dental assistant, then upgrade yourself.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Butterbird in Glen Ellyn, Illinois

75 months ago

Any more suggestions, I can throw some more.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Bailey in Stanville, Kentucky

75 months ago

You may not be able to opt out of vaccinations. In the healthcare field, they're not just there to protect you, they're also there to protect the patients (many with supressed immune systems) that you'll be dealing with. So, it's really not being able to say you don't "need" them for yourself.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Olivia in Yakima, Washington

75 months ago

Thanks for the advice... The Nursing program in my town is a 4 year program and is super competitive. So what is the deal with sonography? How long is school for that and how do I find out what schools offer it? I don't know if I have mentioned this before but one of my main requirements for work is that the field be friendly to part time workers, I don't want to work full time. And yes I am open for suggestions

Bailey thanks for that reminder, I have thought about that before but it must have slipped my mind. That is very important to remember. Even though it is not my preference.

Thanks,
- Liv

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ogm in Denver, Colorado

70 months ago

I am considering on enrolling in a school the fall of 09 to be an x-ray tech. Is there a demand for x-ray techs?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Mauricio Silva in Miami, Florida

70 months ago

dont do it i have the ARRT license for more than two years n was not able to get a job in x-rays. I would go for phisical therapist instead or nursing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

breezy2gorgeous in houston, Texas

69 months ago

Just a question because im very confused. is going to an x-ray tech program a waste of time??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

FLU VACCINE GARDEN CITY MI in Los Angeles, California

69 months ago

Off topic - vaccines are very important. Even if there have been reports that some medical institutions in developed countries use it to spread the AIDS virus in third world countries, I never believed because it has proven more advantages.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Bobo in Beaverton, Oregon

67 months ago

Basically there are no jobs in x-ray right sad but true, become a nurse.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

mmt4 in Albuquerque, New Mexico

67 months ago

^^I have heard its hard for new RN grads to find jobs today too. By the time someone who is trying to get into an RN program now graduates, it may have changed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Positive One in Columbus, Ohio

67 months ago

I have read so many discouraging post on here about Radiographers. Let's get one thing straight people... we are in a recession. No more sign on bonuses or over time. It's hard to find a job with any degree. And all of you that are saying "do nursing" You don't pick a profession just because of the pay or availability of jobs. You do something because it feels right. People that make GOOD radiographers may no make the best nurses or VICE VERSA. You go into a profession just for $$$ and you will never be happy. I read one post saying "Oh my wife still has to work because I'm an xray tech and don't make enough money... blah blah blah" DO you really think you can make 100K from a 2 year degree. GET REAL. Do xray because you want to do it. Shadow at a hospital, pick a profession that fits your personality.

I graduated in 2007, and have had no problem finding a job. Neither did my classmates. I think those of you going into it just looking at pay or high expectations will be disappointed. The job market is down across the board. Harvard graduates are jobless for months. It will pick back up again. Just follow your heart and do what is right. I just read a article about the saturated nursing field. Don't pick a job that you assume is a cake walk... they just don't exist.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (100) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Dina in Alton, Illinois

66 months ago

Butterbird in Glen Ellyn, Illinois said: Any more suggestions, I can throw some more.

Hi, I live in Il and want to become an X-ray technician. Can I talk to you via email????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Dina in Alton, Illinois

66 months ago

Sorry, I asked "Butterbird"....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Meeko in Portland, Oregon

66 months ago

Funny I went to school for x-ray in Washington. I can tell you there are barely any jobs at all especially for inexperienced technologists. Only time will tell when we actually need techs again. As far as work goes x-ray is ok, nursing pays better. Physical therapy pays well and is in very high demand as well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

X-ray Mouse in Wilmington, North Carolina

66 months ago

Ale562 in Whittier, California said: Hello,

Is there anyone who is currently in the X-Ray Tech program or went thru the program? Im in the process of trying 2 get into an X-Ray Tech program in my local city in Los Angeles, CA but I would like 2 know how the curriculum is? Is it intense as say the Nursing Program? Specifically from a vocational school? I was originally in a different program (Respiratory Therapy Program) but unfortunately it didn't work out as planned.

Please any info on the X-Ray Tech Program?

Much Thanks!

It IS an intense program. If it were easy, everybody would be doing it. But Positive One is right, the recession is responsible for the low tech employment rate, not to mention the rate of new grads pumped out every year (my town's program upped students accepted by 10) but it WILL turn around; it always does. Do what you want to do, not what makes the most $$$. I can actually say that I love my job (and feel lucky to have one!). Health care is and always has been a good field to go into...and it always will be!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

radtech in Concord, North Carolina

66 months ago

I would not recommend the field of radiology tech. I graduated several years ago and do not find the field interesting or great paying most techs start at 16.00 per hr and work like dogs. Go for a profession with more flexibility.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Stacey in Frankfort, Kentucky

66 months ago

ogm in Denver, Colorado said: I am considering on enrolling in a school the fall of 09 to be an x-ray tech. Is there a demand for x-ray techs?

It depends on where you are, in KY it is very cut throat right now, my class just graduated 34 students and only about 6 have jobs, it is pretty bad here. I hope it is better where you are

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Prospective in East Elmhurst, New York

65 months ago

I agree with Positive One. You dont just jump into a field thinking it is going to be the easier or most abundant job when you come out. And as for whoever said " my wife still has to work because im an xray tech" is ridiculous. Those are financial expecations and organization skills gone wrong. From what I hear being an xray tech is very rewarding and as for salary. Your very comfortable. It is true jobs are hard to come by but look at where most of these posts are! KY, NC, if you want a better chance of landing a job. You have to be willing to go wherever the job is..look for major cities with major hospitals!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

JR in Boston, Massachusetts

64 months ago

Hi,
I am originally from LA (Hermoza Beach). Please, do yourself a favor stay away from x-ray schools.
There are NO JOBS.
It's a sucky career.
People in this field are usually RUDE
You will brake your Back.
I have other sugestions for you depending on your age. Some of the good Professions require long training, so it's better to start young.
I do x-ray,CT,and MRI.I want to move back to LA but Jobs are scarce.
Good Luck.
Jr.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

radtech1979 in West Monroe, Louisiana

64 months ago

Good Luch on finding a job in X-ray....I worked at a hospital for two years PRN doing all kinds of crazy shifts and 8 months straight weekends....two 16 hr shifts and an 8 back to back! It was exhausting and I never felt like I would move up. Thinking that my career path would leave me open for option, I left for a medical equipment sales job. After 7 months in sales I realized that I am much better at healthcare. I quit my job with false hope that I would easily find a rad-tech job.....NOT!!! It has been almost a year now and I am still jobless. I soo wsh I would have done physical therapy assistant!! They are paying new grads 35 dollars an hour and there are jobs everywhere around here. I am considering going back to school even though I am very bitter about it! Who knew I would bust my ass in x-ray school to find that they are not hiring full time employees anywhere. I was doing this poorly as a college student!!! Sucks to know that there are no benefits or job security in this field!!! Everyone considering this school please look at your other options first.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

mommmy629 in Warwick, Rhode Island

63 months ago

Hi, Im trying to decide a career path and not based on pay but by what the position is all about. I hear everyone say Physical therapy and assistant is there anyone who can explain what it is all about? Thank you for any comments, highly appreciate!

xoxo in Norfolk, Virginia

62 months ago

Positive One in Columbus, Ohio said: I have read so many discouraging post on here about Radiographers. Let's get one thing straight people... we are in a recession. No more sign on bonuses or over time. It's hard to find a job with any degree. And all of you that are saying "do nursing" You don't pick a profession just because of the pay or availability of jobs. You do something because it feels right. People that make GOOD radiographers may no make the best nurses or VICE VERSA. You go into a profession just for $$$ and you will never be happy. I read one post saying "Oh my wife still has to work because I'm an xray tech and don't make enough money... blah blah blah" DO you really think you can make 100K from a 2 year degree. GET REAL. Do xray because you want to do it. Shadow at a hospital, pick a profession that fits your personality.

I graduated in 2007, and have had no problem finding a job. Neither did my classmates. I think those of you going into it just looking at pay or high expectations will be disappointed. The job market is down across the board. Harvard graduates are jobless for months. It will pick back up again. Just follow your heart and do what is right. I just read a article about the saturated nursing field. Don't pick a job that you assume is a cake walk... they just don't exist.

This attitude is the reason why Positive One has a job; your employer and patients are lucky to have you around. Thank you for the great insight.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

radtech1979 in West Monroe, Louisiana said: Good Luch on finding a job in X-ray....I worked at a hospital for two years PRN doing all kinds of crazy shifts and 8 months straight weekends....two 16 hr shifts and an 8 back to back! It was exhausting and I never felt like I would move up. Thinking that my career path would leave me open for option, I left for a medical equipment sales job. After 7 months in sales I realized that I am much better at healthcare. I quit my job with false hope that I would easily find a rad-tech job.....NOT!!! It has been almost a year now and I am still jobless. I soo wsh I would have done physical therapy assistant!! They are paying new grads 35 dollars an hour and there are jobs everywhere around here. I am considering going back to school even though I am very bitter about it! Who knew I would bust my ass in x-ray school to find that they are not hiring full time employees anywhere. I was doing this poorly as a college student!!! Sucks to know that there are no benefits or job security in this field!!! Everyone considering this school please look at your other options first.

Please do not chase a profession for the money -- trying to get rich quick leads to quick burnout (not only that but, poor patient care). The industry will swing back. In the mean time, look for ways that you could build your current license as well as look at tools your license already holds. Hang in there!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

hrleybones in Centereach, New York

61 months ago

radtech1979 in West Monroe, Louisiana said: Good Luch on finding a job in X-ray....I worked at a hospital for two years PRN doing all kinds of crazy shifts and 8 months straight weekends....two 16 hr shifts and an 8 back to back! It was exhausting and I never felt like I would move up. Thinking that my career path would leave me open for option, I left for a medical equipment sales job. After 7 months in sales I realized that I am much better at healthcare. I quit my job with false hope that I would easily find a rad-tech job.....NOT!!! It has been almost a year now and I am still jobless. I soo wsh I would have done physical therapy assistant!! They are paying new grads 35 dollars an hour and there are jobs everywhere around here. I am considering going back to school even though I am very bitter about it! Who knew I would bust my ass in x-ray school to find that they are not hiring full time employees anywhere. I was doing this poorly as a college student!!! Sucks to know that there are no benefits or job security in this field!!! Everyone considering this school please look at your other options first.
things arent any better in the northeast radio
graphy programs pumped out tons of students flooding the market only to have grads go months without full time employmentYOU WOULD HAVE TO BE CRAZY TO GO TO RADIOGRAPHY PROGAMS TODAY. THERE ARENT MANY JOBS AND THE SALARIES ARE FROM WHEN I GRADUATED IN THE 90'S IF YOU DO THE MATH MANY HOSPITALS HAVE 10X THE AMOUNT OF NURSES AS THEY DO TECHS. SO YOU GOT MORE OPTIONS WITH A NURSING CAREER.XRAY IS FLOODED WITH CANDIDATES TODAY.48 STUDENTS GRADUATED IN SEPT AND ONLY 2 0R 3 HAVE JOBS. TRY THIS CALL ANY JOB AGENCY AND ASKK THEM WHAT POSITIONS THEY HAVE AND ILL BET YOU DOLLARS TO DOUNUTS IT AINT XRAY

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

hrleybones in Centereach, New York

61 months ago

JR in Boston, Massachusetts said: Hi,
I am originally from LA (Hermoza Beach). Please, do yourself a favor stay away from x-ray schools.
There are NO JOBS.
It's a sucky career.
People in this field are usually RUDE
You will brake your Back.
I have other sugestions for you depending on your age. Some of the good Professions require long training, so it's better to start young.
I do x-ray,CT,and MRI.I want to move back to LA but Jobs are scarce.
Good Luck.
Jr.

100% TRUE IVE BEEN A TECH FOR 15 YEARS AND BUSTED MY BUTT EVERY NIGHT IN AN INNER CITY E.R MY HOSPITAL THAT I WORKED AT CLOSED IN MARCH AND MYSELF AND MY FELLOW TECHS HAVE NOT HAD MUCH SUCCESS AT FINDING JOBS..NOT TRUE FOR RNS THEY GOT JOBS RIGHT AWAY NURSING IS A MUCH BETTER MOVE AT THIS STAGE

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

HEATHER in Mabelvale, Arkansas

61 months ago

I finally found a job but it took 7 months and the pay everywhere is so diluted that a single person cannot possibly live comfortably on this salary! I am starting nursing school in January and I could not be more excited. The thought of being an RN and eventually going to practitioner school in the forseeable future make me wonder why I did not do this from the start. Good luck to all of you rad techs trying to find jobs.....I know it's not easy these days.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

hrleybones in Centereach, New York said: 100% TRUE IVE BEEN A TECH FOR 15 YEARS AND BUSTED MY BUTT EVERY NIGHT IN AN INNER CITY E.R MY HOSPITAL THAT I WORKED AT CLOSED IN MARCH AND MYSELF AND MY FELLOW TECHS HAVE NOT HAD MUCH SUCCESS AT FINDING JOBS..NOT TRUE FOR RNS THEY GOT JOBS RIGHT AWAY NURSING IS A MUCH BETTER MOVE AT THIS STAGE

You might want to take a look at these forums, before you start advising people on their career and happiness.

THE CON of BEING AN RN
New Graduate Nurse

Keeping perspective:
There are thousands of very happy radiographers who don't even post here because they are busy loving what they do. In most cases, attitude creates the world you live in - Self Prophecy - If you think you can't, then your right, you can't. I find that people here are just perfectly happy wasting their energy on complaining and be extremely negative.

The most frustrating part is the help that's here and which might lead to something - left or isn't offered anymore. Why? Probably because it's applied somewhere/someone else where it's appreciated :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

xoxo in Norfolk, Virginia said: You might want to take a look at these forums, before you start advising people on their career and happiness.

THE CON of BEING AN RN
New Graduate Nurse

Keeping perspective:
There are thousands of very happy radiographers who don't even post here because they are busy loving what they do. In most cases, attitude creates the world you live in - Self Prophecy - If you think you can't, then your right, you can't. I find that people here are just perfectly happy wasting their energy on complaining and be extremely negative.

The most frustrating part is the help that's here and which might lead to something - left or isn't offered anymore. Why? Probably because it's applied somewhere/someone else where it's appreciated :)

That is so true! Life is what you make it. Make it happy and positive, not negative and sad. I looked long and hard and did prn for quite some time, but finally landed a job in a clinical type setting (M-F, 8-5) and absolutely LOVE it. So, be optimistic and 'put out' for what you want and don't relent until you get it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

aims in Southport, North Carolina

60 months ago

X-ray Mouse in Wilmington, North Carolina said: That is so true! Life is what you make it. Make it happy and positive, not negative and sad. I looked long and hard and did prn for quite some time, but finally landed a job in a clinical type setting (M-F, 8-5) and absolutely LOVE it. So, be optimistic and 'put out' for what you want and don't relent until you get it!

hi, i live in shallotte and i would like to ask some questions about being an x-ray tech.. i'm currently enrolled at BCC taking gen-ed classes and i'm considering going to CFCC for radiography in the fall.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

Go for it! But be aware that jobs in the Wilmington area are far and few...moving west to Raleigh after school would be your best bet.

k, white in Yazoo City, Mississippi

55 months ago

I live Mississippi andI am currently in between decidingon radiology, pharmacy tech, and physical therapy which would be better in my area bc i dont wont to move out of town. PLEASE HELP

Jim123 in Anonymous Proxy

50 months ago

k, white in Yazoo City, Mississippi said: I live Mississippi andI am currently in between decidingon radiology, pharmacy tech, and physical therapy which would be better in my area bc i dont wont to move out of town. PLEASE HELP

I don't recommend radiology right now (I assume you mean x-ray technician) because the job market is flooded. Last I heard ultrasound is the only medical imaging modality that is not flooded with too many job candidates. I've heard that you can get a job in a pharmacy related field but the modern pharmacies just want to work you like a dog and have you run your butt off. From what I've heard physical therapy is one of the best health care related fields right now. You might want to consider going in that direction.

I'm an x ray-tech having a very hard time finding a full time job. I'm not completely sure about the other professions so I suggest that you talk to a career counselor and some people working in the field before making a permanent decision. I hope this helps.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

lil red in Gulfport, Mississippi

49 months ago

there are plenty of job openings in Florida..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

49 months ago

There are plenty of Job openings in Florida for X-ray techs

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

49 months ago

I am currently still in High School but i graduate early, because I accumulated all of my credits to graduate so soon. I am really intrested in Radiologist Technicians. Here in Mississippi 2 years at a community college you can get your Associates Degree. I have also done alot of research on where jobs for Radiologist technicians are and there are quiet few in Florida all over. Which I am planning on moving there soon. Is this something most stay intrested in? Or will the intrest soon pass for Radiology???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

No in Wood Dale, Illinois

49 months ago

Pass on the field. Go into nursing. If you take the radiology route, make sure you go into CT, MRI, Ultrasound, or Interventional directly after graduating. General x-ray sucks as.shole when it comes to demand in the field. Anyone certified in other modalities can do general x-ray. It appears this country can't crap out enough nurses. Being in highschool, and if you still want to stay in the medical field, go to a community college and obtain your prerequisites. After those, pick a trade school for radiology. If they have less than ten students accepted, they are probably a school without experience. If they have less than 50 applicants, they are probably inexperienced. If they can't show you a complete curriculum before starting, don't go. After the trade school, move onto another modality of medical imaging. Only go to a university if you are getting grants, scholarships, or are loaded with cash. If you go the university route, just go to medical school afterward and become a physician.

Florida is looking for limited scope radiographers. They get paid an average of 12 dollars an hour; I can get that bagging groceries at Jewel. If you find hospitals in Florida, that's a different story and will be the same story in most other states.

You can sign waivers not to get vaccinated. They will place you at direct fault if you contract any disease that the health care institution was able to vaccinate against. And as far as any possibility of you getting sick, or getting anyone else sick, the health care provider doesn't give a sh.it... you're just attracting more business.

Anyone want more information on this... email erasethegray85@gmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Tammy in Fall River, Massachusetts

44 months ago

]

Are there shortages in alll of the modalities or just rad tech? .. i am interested in both rad tech and nursing and have applied to both. I was sure rad tech was the job for me because i am interested in the ever changing technology aspect of it and the idea of doing advanced modalities like MRI are very intriguing. However, I fear that I may get bored with radiology after having shadowed I realized that there is a lot of down time which in some aspects is good yet I dont want to get sick of waiting for the next patient to take a quick xray and then they leave and here i am back at square one. With nursing it may be tougher but in the same 2 yrs you get an associates in nursing and have a lot more opportunities such as working in pediatrics, being a school nurse, hospital care, nursing homes etc ...its seems to be the more rewarding because u develop a close relationship with patients which of course can be hard to deal with if the patient does not pull through .. my question is can u help me think of some pros and cons for each and give me your opinion as to which you would choose if given the opportunity to do both. I realize its ultimately my call but it does not hurt to get another educated persons perspective. thank you all!

B in Brockton, Massachusetts

43 months ago

I graduated from a community college last summer (rad tech), believe me there's nothing out there. I did my clinical with 6 other students....I was the only one who got hired....as a per diem. The rest went back to their previous careers. $15k down the drain. Don't believe the hype, there are no jobs in x-ray.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Drones in Omaha, Nebraska

43 months ago

Positive doesn't pay the bills. Be smart and cut your losses now. If you are currently looking for employment or are thinking of becoming an x-ray tech look towards doing something else. The problems with this field started almost 10yrs ago, well before the current recession. The problems with this field go much deeper than the current recession. It has to do with all of the x-ray schools that increased enrollment and flooded the market. That was not the fault of our current recession.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

Olivia in Spokane, Washington said: thanks for all the good information! In regards to my memorization it kicks ass. I did my cellular biology class with my eyes closed and got a decent grade (3.7) while everyone else was trying so hard and barley passed. Although my spelling skills are lacking. and I am almost done with my prereqs so that shouldn't be an issue either.

But my issues with vacs is that I don't want them. I am not afraid of being exposed to or catching most of these things. I don't belive that vacs are healthy. I do have a lot of them because I was not informed as a child and niether was my mother but I don't have all of them and I definittly don't have any of my boosters. I didn't attend public high school. But this is all stuff that I have plenty of time to worry about and don't need to burden you with.

Thank you so much for your humble opinion because I get consolers always telling me what a good field it is and so on.... and I just had the impression that they are just talking out there ass. They truly have no personal knowlage or first hand experiance. I have been directed to the nursing field by many but I just don't want to go to school for that long and am not excited by the idea of working in that area of the medical field. I am not very into their views on things (mainly that eveidence based medicine is NOT being practiced in the us). At least with xray tech stuff I don't morally disagree. Do you have any other suggestions.
Truly Thank You
Liv

No facility will hire you if you aren't willing to get your vacs. At the hospital I used to work at it was required for all employees to get a flu vac once a year. There are also a number of other vacs such as Hep B that are required for health care workers. There is no way around. If you are unwilling to get vacs then you better find another field to work in.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Confused in Fort Collins, Colorado

43 months ago

I am about to start school to be xray tech, but am scared that i can not find a job in Northern Colorado. They are putting out 75-100 xray students a year from Denver to Wyoming. Is there enough job for everyone?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

Confused, there are no jobs. Don't waste your time with radiology. Look into another career, either in medicine, business, or something else. Do your research first. Forwarned is forarmed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Graduate of 2010 in Jefferson, Georgia

42 months ago

I graduated in 2010, and still have not found a job. I've applied for every single hospital I can possibly apply, and I'm still looking for more hospitals, ALL OVER THE COUNTRY.

You do not want to be an xray tech. They usually start pay at $16/hour. Just listen to this advice, taking x-rays is an easy job. But this "EASY JOB" is really filled to the max. RN jobs are in demand, other jobs are in demand. Listen to that, and find something other than taking x-rays.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Canadian Rad Tech in La Salle, Manitoba

41 months ago

I am an x-ray tech in Canada. You can't base much off my income because I am in a unique position but techs up here make between 60,000 and 80,000 if you work full time. One of the high demand jobs up here is Lab Tech. If I am not mistaken you can use american schooling to challenge the national exam too. Don't look at x-ray and simply say there are no jobs. X-ray can lead to MRI, CT, ultrasound, or other jobs that may be in demand at certain times. You can always go work in the sales and service aspect of it too, often they require previous training for higher positions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

HOUradtech2 in Sugar Land, Texas

41 months ago

just graduated a month ago. Turned down one job offer at a clinic right out of school. I waited to get higher by a hospital and I was. Got hired by one major hospital systems in town (was interviewed for a position at 3 different hospitals in this system), and turned down an interview at another major hospital system. Granted I was an excellent student and tutored for my program. But jobs are plentiful if you strive to be the best.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

barbara

39 months ago

As a radiology manager, I tend to hire from the student pool that rotates through my department on their clinicals. This is the time and place to put in effort to learn, work and be assertive, not sit in a corner reading a book or texting. The current job market for radtechs is exactly what it was like when I graduated in 1980. I too, struggled the first year to get a job. You take what you can find, and give it all you have. Good luck and do not give up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

DRONES in Omaha, Nebraska

39 months ago

barbara said: As a radiology manager, I tend to hire from the student pool that rotates through my department on their clinicals. This is the time and place to put in effort to learn, work and be assertive, not sit in a corner reading a book or texting. The current job market for radtechs is exactly what it was like when I graduated in 1980. I too, struggled the first year to get a job. You take what you can find, and give it all you have. Good luck and do not give up.

barbara, how many students from a given class do you hire? How big are those classes? Are you hiring for full time, part time, or PRN?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

barbara

39 months ago

DRONES in Omaha, Nebraska said: barbara, how many students from a given class do you hire? How big are those classes? Are you hiring for full time, part time, or PRN?

DRONES~Per Diem is the most common position that opens here. Students are usually hired per diem. When a permanent position becomes available, they are posted internally first, allowing perdiems to transfer to the newly opened position. Very common practice for large hospital systems and why you will rarely see a PT or FT position advertised. On average, I get 2-4 per diem slots that open up annually. Hope this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.