Military veteran needs to get ARRT. Please help

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

MR21468 in San Francisco, California

21 months ago

I was trained as an x-ray technologist at fort Sam Houston Texas back in 1988 when I enlisted in the Army. I was stationed at Letterman Army Medical Center and honorably discharged in 1991 and got state certified (CRT). The US Army training was not recognized by the ARRT in 1988 as an accredited school at this time. So I was unable to sit dowwn and take the ARRT exam. I have been working as an x-ray technologist in a wide range of medical institutions since 1990. It is becoming increasingly difficult to find employment with only my state certification and flouro certification. Is attending a 2 year program at this point in my career my only option for getting my ARRT . Most Schools wont even let me attend classes for a different modality such as ultrasound without my ARRT. are there any veterans out there having the same problem. please help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

3volovE in Friendswood, Texas

21 months ago

I don't know anything about California or Veterans but here in Texas there's a program in Galveston where you can do radiation therapy without ARRT. It takes 2 years (6 semesters) if you haven't been through an accredited xray program. If you already have, then you can do the rad therapy program in 4 semesters (1.5 years) and end up making like $70k/year. So...explore your options, maybe you can do something like that in CA.

Both of my parents are Navy Veterans. My mom enlisted from Texas so she gets 150 public school college credits free at any TX college. Also, she qualified for some other Veteran program right now so she doesn't have to use those credits (the Hazlewood Act). She gets paid $1500/month to go to school, as long as she passes her classes she doesn't have to pay it back. Not sure what program that is. She worked for over a decade as an Autocad Drafter, but all the jobs were outsourced overseas and she was unemployed for 3 years. Now she's 57 and trying to go back to school.

Maybe you could find a job getting paid under the table? All the jobs I see and apply for require ARRT here. But I have a classmate (had a D.U.I. and all kinds of issues with the law) but he worked in some kind of emergency clinic. Paid under the table like $15/hour. But then they went out of business and he lost his job :(

It's not just our field that is getting more and more stringent. Lots of careers are beginning to require Bachelors degrees. My last hospital started requiring RNs to have Bachelor degrees to be "level III" which is the most seniority and pay. My co-worker had worked there for 2 or 3 decades and is in her 60s...she wasn't going back to school! So they demoted her to level II and cut her wages.

Do yourself a favor and try to go back to school sooner rather than later so you don't end up like my mom and coworker. I'm sorry to hear ARRT didn't recognize your training...that really sucks. I wish you all the best.

MR21468 in San Francisco, California

21 months ago

Thank you for the information. I am looking at different schools but a lot of them are requiring me to have my ARRT just to learn a different modality. I have 8 years CT experience but need ARRT to take the test. looking into ARDMS but also need ARRT. Not looking good! Going to contact the VA as well see what they can suggest.

3volovE in Friendswood, Texas

21 months ago

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.