Boom or bust?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 272)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Host

Are jobs in this industry on the rise? Are there any sub-sectors that are growing?

Where are the jobs? Which places have the most x ray technician opportunities?

Reply - Report abuse

qweenuvharts in Owasso, Oklahoma

82 months ago

I've been an x-ray Technologist for 20 years! I still love it! Yes, there are fluxes in the market for techs every 5-10 yrs, but in an area like Tulsa, OK... where there are numerous radiology schools pumping out @25 students/yrs x 5 schools we're slitting our own throat in this area of town. Employers think they can pay you starting/beginning tech salary & unfortunately with the flood of techs in the area employers are getting away with it so most of the seasoned techs settle or move on. I've been traveling the last few years AND love it mostly. Working 6-9 months out of the year is great IF I manage my $$ right! I vacation when & where I want and take time when I want to. Not bad being semi-retired @40 something! and to those who don't like the profession.. get on out! some of us Love what we do and do it well! find your passion.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (40) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

MJ in Colorado Springs, Colorado

81 months ago

Jman in Raleigh, North Carolina said: From my experience the number of x-ray students is far exceeding the number of available jobs and this trend will continue for the foreseeable future.

As a recent graduate I have been unable to find a job in Wisconsin or North Carolina. I have been told that there are at least 20 applicants for each job opening and if any of those applicants has more job experience the chances of landing that job are slim to none. This will only continue to get worse in the near future as schools continue to pump out as many x-ray techs as they can in order to make as much money as possible. When you graduate they can care less whether or not you have a job, which in my opinion is unconscionable.

I would recommend looking at another field such as nursing which has a much more promising future outlook.

Jman,

I am the one who waiting for interview for X-ray school. According to your experience, it must be not a good choice to study. Anyway...was it hard to study?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

donotapply in Turlock, California

81 months ago

respiratory therapy or radiation oncology are good fields without over demands, as well as nursing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

THE UNTOLD TRUTH! in Herndon, Virginia

79 months ago

THE MARKET IS FLOODED WITH RADIOLOGY TECHNOLOGIST AND SEXISM AGAINST MALES!
CHOOSE ANOTHER CAREER!
READ "ADVANCE FOR RADIOLOGY TECHNOLOGIST" I think 2 months ago they had a article about the discrimination against men!
TOO MANY SCHOOLS/PROGRAMS! THEY ONLY WANT YOUR $$$$$

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

mich in Long Beach, California

79 months ago

qweenuvharts in Owasso, Oklahoma said: I've been an x-ray Technologist for 20 years! I still love it! Yes, there are fluxes in the market for techs every 5-10 yrs, but in an area like Tulsa, OK... where there are numerous radiology schools pumping out @25 students/yrs x 5 schools we're slitting our own throat in this area of town. Employers think they can pay you starting/beginning tech salary & unfortunately with the flood of techs in the area employers are getting away with it so most of the seasoned techs settle or move on. I've been traveling the last few years AND love it mostly. Working 6-9 months out of the year is great IF I manage my $$ right! I vacation when & where I want and take time when I want to. Not bad being semi-retired @40 something! and to those who don't like the profession.. get on out! some of us Love what we do and do it well! find your passion.
I am originally from moore ok. do you really think the field has seen its day.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

donotapply in Turlock, California said: stay away from Emanuel Medical Center...bad news!

why need more of a reason than stay away?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

mich in Long Beach, California said: why need more of a reason than stay away?

Poor medicine, poor administration, as well as unsupportive. They are "playing" hospital!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

Has anyone thought of "suing" for discrimmination!

Every other country in the world let Men do all exams, too.

I am sure some day it could really be a big law suit!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

you can say that about nursing too. nothings perfect!just hang in there

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Terry in Phoenix, Arizona

79 months ago

Host said: Are jobs in this industry on the rise? Are there any sub-sectors that are growing?

Your absolutely right, There are 5 xray schools in Phoenix alone. there is a flood in the market, for xray techs. The specialties are different. There are a shortage of nuclear med and MRI, and ultrasound techs, and mammo. they are still in great demand.
I would never haven gotten into this field had I known what I know now. you'll never not have to work overtime, if you want to live in the nicer areas. Your wife will allways have to work to help with the bills. you'll never make as much as a successfull career person. (never make a 100k) you can make a living, but you'll always be on a budget. This field tops our to soon, your only worth as much as the market bears. Remember the schools are pumping out students year after year. when you start making good money they replace you with a newly trained person and save on pay.
I don't recomend this field to any body.
Go to nursing school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Xradiograph in Beaverton, Oregon

78 months ago

X-ray School= a bad idea right now unless you don't want a job. As an entry level tech it is near impossible,Nursing is hot, nursing is always hot, go figure.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Patricia in Charlotte, North Carolina

77 months ago

In regards to the previous comment. What company are you with for the traveling tech position. North Carolina, can not BUY a job here with 15 years. Ready to move on

Patricia

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

qweenuvharts in Gallup, New Mexico

77 months ago

Registered! ARRT! most certainly! since 1990; I've seen a lot of fluxes in the market and yes, it's sad that the marketeers see an opportunity to flood the market right now but we can get above the curve as the cream rises to the top and the bad techs will fall out! (as usual!)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

I've been a proud member of the profession since 1974 :-)... I have seen many fluxes in the market. It is not the marketers that are "grief" giving, as it is the government who gives out tons of loans for school..... and then most of the students don't have the money, or make enough to pay the loans back! It is such a rip off, especially in states like CA where they have limited licenses.... so someone that can just shoot bones takes a good job from a technologist, and the doc gets to pay the limited tech $10.00 ish.....quality has gone down....but some one is saving money!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

Thanks for the info. Yes am a Technologist. ARRT certified. Thanks for the info.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

I am REGISTERED!!!! what's the difference between a certified and a registered technologist.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

Registered is at the national level ARRT. Certified is just at the state level, and each state can have their own license structure. Some choose none at all. Those are the toughest states to get jobs. The coasts are far better, and closer to bigger cities as to getting jobs and better pay!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

i wish there were more places like this where we can discuss what is "really" happening in the field.... not too many people know about this forum....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

I am sopose to finish my 2nd year in rad tech school in aug. Im concerned about the job market? everyone keeps saying go nursing Im confused.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

kg in San Bernardino, California

76 months ago

mich in Long Beach, California said: I am sopose to finish my 2nd year in rad tech school in aug. Im concerned about the job market? everyone keeps saying go nursing Im confused.

I don't get it either. The program I'm TRYING to get into only accepts 10 people. This is based out of the local county hospital where one rad tech with whom I spoke is making $27/hr with maybe two years experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

kg in San Bernardino, California

76 months ago

Are we talking about Radiologic Technologists here? I copied this from the San Bernardino County job description page. $20/hr to start is pretty good. Why so much pessimism about this field?

Class Title: Radiologic Technologist I
Class Code: 18013Are we talking about Radiologic Technologists here?
Salary: $20.56 - $26.27 hourly
$1,644.80 - $2,101.60 biweekly
$3,563.73 - $4,553.47 monthly
$42,764.80 - $54,641.60 annually

Class Title: Radiologic Technologist II
Class Code: 18014
Salary: $22.13 - $28.22 hourly
$1,770.40 - $2,257.60 biweekly
$3,835.87 - $4,891.47 monthly
$46,030.40 - $58,697.60 annually

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Gabriella in New Orleans, Louisiana

76 months ago

Not pessimism, kg, but realism. The jobs just aren't plentiful enough compared to the amount of students who graduate each year. I've only seen one (part-time) job advertised in the paper in the past 3 months in NOLA. Very little in the area on web searches either. The pay is OK...IF...you can find a job!

Marie Dunn in Houston, Texas

76 months ago

"Has anyone thought of "suing" for discrimmination!

Every other country in the world let Men do all exams, too.

I am sure some day it could really be a big law suit!

Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse "

I can appreciate your frustration. Having said that a man is NOT going to do a Trans Vag or a mammogram on me. Patients have that right. If you were to work in a clinic where you worked alone the facility would lose it's patients, If you were to work in a hospital the female Tech would be worked to death. It's really not the fault of the hospital.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

Mark in Pasadena, California said: So Woman will let male gynecologists do their job but won't let a man do mammography? That's some seriously twisted logic there!

You cannnot compare Doctors with a Tech's. The logic maybe twisted to you, but that is the way it is!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

I AGREE! ...(that's why I try to find a woman gynecologist whenever I can)but for those times I can't I'll take the PROFESSIONAL EVERY TIME!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

rtr in Paramus, New Jersey

76 months ago

I dont know about you but I wouldnt want to do mammo or trans vag studies even if there is no sexism involved. I am a guy by the way. However, guys have a better shot becoming Ultrasound technologists but it is still up to the patient's preference. I hope you know there are still male patients and they do prefer male technologists to do their US exams such as scrotum studies.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

AGREED! I FIND THAT PRETTY MUCH ACROSS THE BOARD ESP. IN THOSE FOLKS THAT ARE SKIDDISH ABOUT HAVING AN EXAM IN THE FIRST PLACE; esp. A SENSITIVE EXAM LIKE THE AFOREMENTIONED!!! Keep up the good work!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Oneonta, New York

75 months ago

There are only per diem and part time positions available in my area due to the high levels of new grads and CR and DR. Some of our best techs have been considering different fields that are more stable and pay experienced personnel a fair wage. It's easy for management to depress wages when there's a line of people looking for every job. I hope this is just a cyclical thing but I don't know.

75 months ago

I think it is your area of NY.
Go closer to the city and I am sure you will find many jobs!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Lori

75 months ago

Jman in Raleigh, North Carolina said: From my experience the number of x-ray students is far exceeding the number of available jobs and this trend will continue for the foreseeable future.

As a recent graduate I have been unable to find a job in Wisconsin or North Carolina. I have been told that there are at least 20 applicants for each job opening and if any of those applicants has more job experience the chances of landing that job are slim to none. This will only continue to get worse in the near future as schools continue to pump out as many x-ray techs as they can in order to make as much money as possible. When you graduate they can care less whether or not you have a job, which in my opinion is unconscionable.

I would recommend looking at another field such as nursing which has a much more promising future outlook.

I could not agree with you more, having graduated in May 08. They do not seem at all concerned that four graduates have no prospects on jobs. Said but true

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

BE patient if you are able. I have been in the field a long time, and have seen cylces of too many techs, and then not enough. I couldn't get a job out of school, finally landed one in NY...in the early 70's. And it has happened three or four times since!! We always bounce back!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

Right now, we are a little more supply then demand, but there are jobs, and in two years when you finish...hopefully the demand will be more than the supply.

Try to specialize in something other than general rad and fluoro, which you will get automatically. Picking up CT or MRI will help you tremdously when you graduate. All extra modalities will need the extra certification I think by 2012, or places will not be allowed by the medicare and medical law to hire you!

Enjoy your two years! It is a great field!!!

Steven in Hixson, Tennessee

74 months ago

i agree, put out or get out... i love the field i want to travel also how did you get started

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Steven in Hixson, Tennessee

74 months ago

i was born there... dr bigalow now retired or dead that was 30 years ago. I live in tn now i was thinking about traveling, or using my degree to work in a nuclear power plant x-raying pipes...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

JERRY DARENSBOURG in La Mirada, California

74 months ago

PRESENTLY IN AND OUT OF WORK IN CONSTRUCTION INDUSTRY
HAVE BEEN RESEARCHING THE XRAY FIELD AND I
AM READY TO COMIT FINANCIALY 15000 FOR SCHOOL AND 11MONS
TRAINING BUT DONT WANT TO BE IN AND OUT OF WORK IN THIS FIELD
WITH A SCHOOL LOAN TO REPAY AT THE AGE OF 39 CAN SOME ONE WHO
HAS JUST GRADUATED LET ME KNOW HOW THE JOB SEARCH WENT AND WHAT THE PAY SCALE IS LIKE
THANKS JERRY

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

kg in Los Angeles, California

74 months ago

jerry. . . try getting into a community college hospital based program. it's less expensive and you get unlimited certification. check out mt sac or chaffey. i'm trying to get into crafton hills. the only problem is that they only accept about 10 people out of about 60 applicants, but it doesn't hurt to try.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

I have 10+ years of experience in radiology. Worked everything from mobile on. Live in Charlotte N.C. a pretty large city and CAN NOT BUY A JOB.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

JERRY DARENSBOURG in La Mirada, California

74 months ago

THANK YOU FOR YOUR ADVICE THE MORE I THINK ABOUT IT MOST TRADES ARE A GAMBLE.WITH THAT BEING SAID I THINK I WILL MOVE FORWARD WITH NEW CAREER PLANS AND JUST WORK HARD MAYBE SOMEONE WILL NOTICE.IM NOT GETTING ANY YOUNGER

JERRY

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

kg in Los Angeles, California

74 months ago

I forgot to mention, it helps to volunteer if you want to get into a community college hospital based program. A friend of mine did the same thing and he was accepted to the Chaffey program. I'm currently volunteering at the blood bank and will soon start volunteering in the actual radiology dept at the hospital where the program is located. Hopefully I'll get some major brownie points. . .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

Major Brownie Points!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Sick of Wall St, NY in Brooklyn, New York

74 months ago

Hello,

Can someone advise me on this? I am 39, unemployed since the beginning oy May, have been working on Wall St all my life, and am TIRED of it. All the garbage that goes on with these financial companies is so horrible, i am tired of being laid-off every few years and watch these bozo CEO's make millions of $$$. I was told this weekend to look into X-ray technician jobs. I am collecting unemployment now. #1: Is this a good career switch? #2 Are there any schools nearby Manhattan or Woodbridge NJ for this? #3: How much does it cost to go to these schools for X-ray Technician jobs, and could i get financial aid to pay for it? #4: How long does it take to complete a course if i went full-time?

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

Go into Nursing. You will always have a job

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

Sick of Wall St, NY in Brooklyn, New York said: Hello,

Can someone advise me on this? I am 39, unemployed since the beginning oy May, have been working on Wall St all my life, and am TIRED of it. All the garbage that goes on with these financial companies is so horrible, i am tired of being laid-off every few years and watch these bozo CEO's make millions of $$$. I was told this weekend to look into X-ray technician jobs. I am collecting unemployment now. #1: Is this a good career switch? #2 Are there any schools nearby Manhattan or Woodbridge NJ for this? #3: How much does it cost to go to these schools for X-ray Technician jobs, and could i get financial aid to pay for it? #4: How long does it take to complete a course if i went full-time?

Thanks

1. No it is not a good career switch. 2. I'm sure there are plenty of schools. 3. Community college is reasonable and yes you can get financial aid. 4. 2 years if you ever hope to be employed. But don't be fooled there are lay-offs. Right now there are NO jobs. I'm a NMT with PET/CT and was laid-off after 10 years and all I can find is PRN. I would not have this PRN job if it were not for friends, which you make after years in the profession. Anyone graduating from the program now is not employable. Sorry but that is the reality. Tech's with 5+ years are having a difficult time finding work. I'm thinking it may take me another year before I am FT again.

74 months ago

Go into Nursing. There a few jobs out there. Tech with 10+ years experience. Can not find a job.

terryfoster@cox.net in Chandler, Arizona

74 months ago

Host said: Are jobs in this industry on the rise? Are there any sub-sectors that are growing?

The majority of he jobs are in the west.
The field is in a downward spiral, you would do better in nursing.

74 months ago

Definitely GO INTO NURSING!!!! Will always have a job

74 months ago

terryfoster@cox.net in Chandler, Arizona said: The majority of he jobs are in the west.
The field is in a downward spiral, you would do better in nursing.

The market is down at the moment, but that happens ever 7-10 years when the schools put out too many students. It will return. It just takes some time.

Of course referring to us we prefer to be called Technologists.

In California, technicians are limited and are not as educated!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Radiographer in Beaverton, Oregon

74 months ago

Agree with everyone else bad time to go into imaging. But just like everyone else seems to say Nursing is hot still, its like the energizer bunny, someday this may end but I don't see it happening soon.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.