Job available?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

KT in Pompano Beach, Florida

65 months ago

I am starting the xray program at my school in May but I am very scared, after finding this website, that I will be wasting my time in this field.
Anyone have any advice? How likely is it for me to get a job in the martin county area of south florida?!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

taurus20 in Kissimmee, Florida

64 months ago

YOUR CHANCES OF FINDING A JOB WILL PROBABLY BE SLIM TO NONE WHEN YOU GRADUATE 2 YRS FROM NOW, BECAUSE YOUR GOING TO BE COMPETING AGAINST HUNDREDS OF OTHER STUDENTS IN A FIELD THAT IS ALREADY BEYOND FLOODED. I WOULD ADVICE YOU NOT TO START THE XRAY PROGRAM AT THIS TIME. GO TO SCHOOL FOR NURSING INSTEAD THERE WILL ALWAYS BE A NEED FOR GOOD NURSES AND YOU'LL MAKE WAY MORE MONEY THAN X-RAY TECHS.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

xraynone in Houston, Texas

63 months ago

KT in Pompano Beach, Florida said: I am starting the xray program at my school in May but I am very scared, after finding this website, that I will be wasting my time in this field.
Anyone have any advice? How likely is it for me to get a job in the martin county area of south florida?!

im in texas, and no jobs here for x-ray techs..i graduated in oct 2008, and it is now may 2009..still no work

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

gthrush53 in Marion, Ohio

57 months ago

xraynone in Houston, Texas said: im in texas, and no jobs here for x-ray techs..i graduated in oct 2008, and it is now may 2009..still no work

I have been in the field 20 years...and did travel jobs the last 7 years. The travel jobs died, and permanent jobs do not exist. If an opening does appear, you will be one application in a boatload.

One of the bigest reasons for the boom in this field 10 years ago was Imaging Centers popping up everywhere. That stopped, and now regulation passed a year or two ago that is forcing many to close. Couple that with the $ hungry schools pumping out techs by the truckload, and you have ZERO jobs. I saw it coming 5 years ago...are the schools just not keeping up w/the news. Right. Noone in their right mind would enter this field...nursing is the job if you can do it.

daf in Los Angeles, California

57 months ago

of course there are no jobs , there are so many crappy school that were popping
out. in 1995 when i graduated it was hard but not as impossible as it is now.
i ve been told that in los angeles theres a so called merrick college pumping out
200 to 300 students a year when before all the colleges combined in the L .A are
were probably putting that many out every year,now i know so many xray techs looking
for work is crazy the new classes are worried that 4 years of school and no job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mddoc13 in Daytona Beach, Florida

33 months ago

KT in Pompano Beach, Florida said: I am starting the xray program at my school in May but I am very scared, after finding this website, that I will be wasting my time in this field.

I say Stick to it as it is the First Step in the Right Direction. Yet my personal experience and advise isto get the DUAL-MODELITY under your belt. Xray jobs are all over the World not just in your area. Yet in your area you will definitly want to have the Dual thin under your belt. Maybe get invloved also with Nuclear Medicine or Ultra Sound, MRI, IVR, Radiation, so on so forth. Do your research and never let a website lead you away from your GOALS. Think of thissite as though it is Halloween it happens once a year. YOU HAVE ALL THE POWER TO SUCCEED AND THIS IS YOUR FIRST HURDLE TO JUMP OVER. AFTER YOU READE THIS NEVER COME BACK HERE> SIGNED BY RFS HD

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

radguy1@gmail.com in Wilmington, North Carolina

33 months ago

Hey KT

I see you and alot of others here are concerned, with good reason. The X-ray field is pretty full up right now. There are how ever other modalities in the imaging field. The amount of school necessary for an X-ray ARRT credential is the same as an Ultrasound ARRT credential. There is a bit more of a demand for sonographers at this time. They also start at a higher rate. You can email me or check my website for more info www.radtechnologist.com. There's some good information on the website and I can ask my connections if you need more information finding a school or what the field is like.

Good luck!

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.