Cant find a xray job

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (38)

X-ray Lady in Palm Harbor, Florida

64 months ago

Be willing to relocate. Radiology is an awesome field - network - go through staffing agencies. You are in demand!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

xoxo in Norfolk, Virginia

64 months ago

X-ray Lady in Palm Harbor, Florida said: Be willing to relocate. Radiology is an awesome field - network - go through staffing agencies. You are in demand!

Hi
X-ray Lady, great recommendation! Networking is key.

Erica, if you do decide to re-locate, heads up that practicing radiography in CA requires a fluoroscopy license; you may want contact the state and get informed on how to obtain one :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Erica in Beaumont, Texas

64 months ago

Thanks so much for the wonderful advise. I actually I am open to relocating if need be to follow my dreams and work in my credential career field. Radiologic imaging is my passion. Hopefuly a great employment opportunity is out there with my name on it to work as a radiologic Tech!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

vintage_lover in Boca Raton, Florida

64 months ago

xoxo in Norfolk, Virginia said: Hi
X-ray Lady, great recommendation! Networking is key.

Erica, if you do decide to re-locate, heads up that practicing radiography in CA requires a fluoroscopy license; you may want contact the state and get informed on how to obtain one :)

Hi,
I know it's a little off the subject but, after I graduate I am moving back to California. Any idea of what I should go into. I feel so lost. I was going to get into sonography but don't think it's for me.

I am more business orientated but have no idea what to go to school for. I really will be starting from scratch since Ive been an actor my whole life. Im 33 and starting college. I need to find something where I will make money and definatly be able to find a job! If anyone has any ideas for my lost self it would be so appreciated. It's so frustrating as I wanna get going on this but don't want to make a wrong choice!

Please help! :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

nicole in Bossier City, Louisiana

63 months ago

I graduated Jan 08 and still havent found a job they all want experience that I do not have. I am willing to relocate but I need a job. I hate to think I wasted all my time and money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Jen in Houston, Texas

61 months ago

I graduated in Aug last year and there are no opening out there. Am also MR certified I still can not no job in MR either. The openings out there require at least one year experience. Anyone with any advice on how to land a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Heather in New Haven, Connecticut

61 months ago

Jen, I'm not sure where you're looking, but ... I just typed in MRI in Houston on monster.com and came up with a PRN position at Methodist in Houston. Also, if you can go to Dallas, there's an MRI position at Baylor Health that was just listed yesterday.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jen in Houston, Texas

61 months ago

Heather in New Haven, Connecticut said: Jen, I'm not sure where you're looking, but ... I just typed in MRI in Houston on monster.com and came up with a PRN position at Methodist in Houston. Also, if you can go to Dallas, there's an MRI position at Baylor Health that was just listed yesterday.

Hi Heather,

The positions are there but since am a new grad they asking for at least one year experience. I applied to both positions you mentioned but the response is always we looking for someone with experience.

Heather in New Haven, Connecticut

61 months ago

Sorry about that. I'm not in TX, but I'll ask the MR folks here if they have any ideas and will post if they do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Anthony in Dallas, Texas

59 months ago

ok my situation is a little different.... am from miami,florida i worked in baptist hospital of miami for 2 years in surgery. i met a special girl (cardiac nurse) in my dept. and we both decided to move to mckinney,tx. Theres many positions out here but i just dont seem to the land any. Ive had about 3 interviews already and i still jobless!...........i have another one on tues. 3/9/10 in fort woth,tx............is there anybody outhere who can help me?

Tami B in Dixon, Illinois

59 months ago

I graduated in July 08. I looked and applied for a year, getting my heart broken every time I would get my hopes up. I'm ready to start applying again because I do not want to waste all that time and energy I spent with school. Do you think I've been out of school too long to find work? Especially since I didn't find a job right out of school?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

anthony in Dallas, Texas

59 months ago

your best bet is to volunteer in hopitals and start networking with people. Its not what u know is who!.........and show the supvrs that u have what it takes!......and keep apppling dont stop!!!.....am on the same boat....google how to ace radiologic technologist jobs

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

tbaby in Euless, Texas

56 months ago

Anthony in Dallas, Texas said: ok my situation is a little different.... am from miami,florida i worked in baptist hospital of miami for 2 years in surgery. i met a special girl (cardiac nurse) in my dept. and we both decided to move to mckinney,tx. Theres many positions out here but i just dont seem to the land any. Ive had about 3 interviews already and i still jobless!...........i have another one on tues. 3/9/10 in fort woth,tx............is there anybody outhere who can help me?

have you found a job yet. I am looking to start radiology tech school but i need to know is it worth it for me to do or just go into nursing

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

marshall70 in Lynn, Massachusetts

55 months ago

tbaby in Euless, Texas said: have you found a job yet. I am looking to start radiology tech school but i need to know is it worth it for me to do or just go into nursing

You may very seriously consider your race and how many languages you speak. This seems hard but true. also matters what state you would want to find work when you finish

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

marshall70 in Lynn, Massachusetts

55 months ago

Jen in Houston, Texas said: Hi Heather,

The positions are there but since am a new grad they asking for at least one year experience. I applied to both positions you mentioned but the response is always we looking for someone with experience.

May be only those from an IVY league school would not need someone to hold their hand and take them in to any job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

THOMAS PROCTOR in Kissimmee, Florida

54 months ago

I recently graduated from school and am in need of a position in xray Ihave my BMO ( Basic Xray Machine Operator)liciense. Can you help ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

LindaNuc in Greensburg, Pennsylvania

54 months ago

THOMAS PROCTOR in Kissimmee, Florida said: I recently graduated from school and am in need of a position in xray Ihave my BMO ( Basic Xray Machine Operator)liciense. Can you help ?

try MedExpress - there are a number of them in Florida. I have 23+ years of experience and was out of work for a while. Recently I was hired part-time with MedExpress. Give it a try. Good Luck!

corona new york in Jackson Heights, New York

53 months ago

why is so hard to get a job as an x ray tech in NYC..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Lorann in Mesa, Arizona

53 months ago

I want to go to school for x-ray more than anything.
Does anyone honestly seeing the future of x-ray techs brightening up after the economy stabilizes again? This is the only profession I can really say I would enjoy. I've considered nursing and I'm not sure how much of it I could take before burning out.

Anyway, it would be great to hear some POSITIVE news about the x-ray tech field, but it seems that NO ONE can find a job. I wonder if I ever will be able to? Ever?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

unbelievable in Austin, Texas

52 months ago

Mina in Collinsville, Illinois said: Hint~You DO have an experience gained through your clinical rotations.. You sould have that in consideration...Good Luck

BUT.. you can't list that as actual work experience. There's a difference in the hiring world. Apparently, what you get actually paid to do and what you were told to do as a nobody student are two different things.

unbelievable in Austin, Texas

52 months ago

If the new health care system that the current administration pans out to be effective than what you would see is a jump in the x-ray field.

(Sorry quick background info here and I don't mean this to be politically biased but its the truth if you ever stepped foot in a hospital rotation). Currently doctors will find any reason to shove you into a CT scanner if you walk into the ER with anything other than a cough. It's not because you probably actually need one, but more based upon 2 reasons... their assininely expensive (3 grand compared to a couple hundred bucks for a routine cxr) and it covers their butts in terms of detail that the rad might miss that he WONT miss on a CT scan.

They do this to sort milk insurance patients so the hospital makes money, they make money and you get exposed to about 11 times the radiation that you probably could have if you had just recieved a normal x-ray. With the new health plan coming up, the gov isn't going to sponsor this kind of nonsense and it's going to force healthcare professionals (like us and the rads) to rely on tried and true methods that are cheaper rather than easier. CT scans may be the new fad, but if they aren't affordable then it's a wash. More people are going to be doing cheaper exams that will be covered by their insurance (compare the cost of an IVP to a routine CT Pelvis w/contrast) versus high tech stuff that's going to cost them an arm and a leg. We'll be needed... its just a matter of when.

LALA in Fort Smith, Arkansas

52 months ago

LOOKING FOR SOME ADVISE. I JUST GOT MY FIRST JOB AS A XRAY TECH AND THE EQUIPMENT IS REALLY OLD (1995) AND ALL I GET IS COMPLAINTS ABOUT MY XRAYS BEING BAD. THE TECHNIQUE CHART THAT IS THERE ISNT RIGHT SO IM JUST TRYING TO GO WITH MY GUT. I TRAINED WITH DIGITAL EQUIPMENT AND THIS IS MY FIRST TIME DOING THIS MANUALLY I DONT WANT TO LOSE MY JOB DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS? PLEASE HELP

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Xrayz in Charlottesville, Virginia

50 months ago

Well, you just have to go back to some basics learned in school. Doubling mAs doubles density, 15% kV increase doubles density. 30% increase/decrease of mAs to tell any difference etc. Once you get a good chest, extremity and a hip technique, you should be able to figure anything out. Ex: knee same as shoudler etc. When you are on your own like that, different screens, film brands (speeds), grids etc. will constantly change and affect your density and contrast. Also check your chemistry. Exhausted Developer or the Developer heater not working is a dead giveaway. I have done fixed techniques on plain film for a long time, it's all I have ever done. No AEC for me!

Precious in Longview, Texas

50 months ago

Im 19 an just graduated from school to do xrays and I want to know what all places do I need to go to get employed im so scared of not being able to find a job

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Dubsy Max in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

50 months ago

Xrayz in Charlottesville, Virginia said: Well, you just have to go back to some basics learned in school. Doubling mAs doubles density, 15% kV increase doubles density. 30% increase/decrease of mAs to tell any difference etc. Once you get a good chest, extremity and a hip technique, you should be able to figure anything out. Ex: knee same as shoudler etc. When you are on your own like that, different screens, film brands (speeds), grids etc. will constantly change and affect your density and contrast. Also check your chemistry. Exhausted Developer or the Developer heater not working is a dead giveaway. I have done fixed techniques on plain film for a long time, it's all I have ever done. No AEC for me!

I've nvr used photo time or auto, I used to base my tech on part type, figures the Kv, then take ruffly thickness x 1.5-2.5 (depending on condition).

Dubsy Max in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

50 months ago

If I was thinking of going into the field now... I would find something else. There are no jobs and the relative pay has actually gone down for new techs. I graduated in '05 from a GREAT school and am out of work currently. If your a student (male), learn up on OR, if your a female learn US and MAMMS. General techs are a dime a dozen, I trained in ER/Trauma.... no dice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

t mon in Longview, Texas

50 months ago

Precious in Longview, Texas said: Im 19 an just graduated from school to do xrays and I want to know what all places do I need to go to get employed im so scared of not being able to find a job

how long ago did you take the class because im about to take it in january am i wasting my time i feel like out of all the things ive read i am

49 months ago

t mon in Longview, Texas said: how long ago did you take the class because im about to take it in january am i wasting my time i feel like out of all the things ive read i am

Idk I guess it would be a waste if you wasnt planing to move because Ive been trying to find a job and still havnt came accross anything I wish the program had job placement

49 months ago

t mon in Longview, Texas said: how long ago did you take the class because im about to take it in january am i wasting my time i feel like out of all the things ive read i am

I took it in Oct

Keddy in Bronx, New York

48 months ago

Hey everybody this seems to be a pretty great blog. Im an Xray Tech in NYC but i want to move to the Dallas area. ive put in few resume's but no favorable responses. ive been a tech now for almost 3 years, with great experiences, but cant seem to know what the employers seem to be looking for i need some help. I'm also MR certified just passed the exam in December. Dont have much MR experience only clinical experience. Thanks i advance.

Denise in Youngstown, Ohio

48 months ago

LALA in Fort Smith, Arkansas said: LOOKING FOR SOME ADVISE. I JUST GOT MY FIRST JOB AS A XRAY TECH AND THE EQUIPMENT IS REALLY OLD (1995) AND ALL I GET IS COMPLAINTS ABOUT MY XRAYS BEING BAD. THE TECHNIQUE CHART THAT IS THERE ISNT RIGHT SO IM JUST TRYING TO GO WITH MY GUT. I TRAINED WITH DIGITAL EQUIPMENT AND THIS IS MY FIRST TIME DOING THIS MANUALLY I DONT WANT TO LOSE MY JOB DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS? PLEASE HELP

How is it going? Are your x-rays coming out any better?

David in Tulsa, Oklahoma

45 months ago

Heather in New Haven, Connecticut said: Jen, I'm not sure where you're looking, but ... I just typed in MRI in Houston on monster.com and came up with a PRN position at Methodist in Houston. Also, if you can go to Dallas, there's an MRI position at Baylor Health that was just listed yesterday.

I'm in OK. and a tech of over 5yr now, considering TX ... what are the rules in TX? I visited the state website and didn't get far

Juju in Bremerton, Washington

45 months ago

I recently relocated for a job 3 states away from my home and put my house on the market. It took me 2.5 years to get a job. I have previous experience, took a break to raise my child, went back to a good school, graduated with top honors and it didn't help. Lots of experience is what everyone wants. The reasons are 1)Medical Malpractice is costly. 2) They don't want to train and hand-hold, they choose techs with many years experience because there are so many to choose from...they can be picky right now. 3) Hospitals are all about money, they open their own certificate programs, for free labor and $7-10K from each student. The student doesn't know they are going into a dead field. I've watched the professions ups and downs for years now. There was a time when the newspapers were filled with job openings..so the fly-by-night programs jumped on the wagon and flooded the field. Remember when Silicon Valley was a hot spot too, now those computer nerds are flipping burgers..no jobs. Major Hospitals and medical centers cut costs by outsourcing x-rays to be read in India now. It's a frustrating time for Radiology right now. It will turn around, but it's going to be awhile, as insurance companies balk at the costs and want cheaper x-rays. They already play on their patients' fears by warning them of the dangers of radiation by putting flyers in their bills. We know a simple chest x-ray is a cheap, useful, quick way to start a diagnosis, but the patient does not know that. I inform all my patients who pay cash (for deductables or whatever reason) to shop around for the cheapest x-ray rates, MRI, CT's, etc. It is their own money they are spending, they have a right not to be gouged. I hope things will improve, it is a good (but probably not "great" anymore) field to be working in.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Drones in Omaha, Nebraska

45 months ago

No x-ray lady x-ray techs are not in demand. If you want to network it is going to cost you a lot of money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Graduate of 2010 in Jefferson, Georgia

44 months ago

X-ray Lady in Palm Harbor, Florida said: Be willing to relocate. Radiology is an awesome field - network - go through staffing agencies. You are in demand!

There are no jobs anywhere in the country. Those that are available are rare to find.

And if you do find a job, they won't hire you, there are many applicants for the position, and they may hire somebody before they look at your application.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

x rah in Brooklyn, New York

43 months ago

many of my classmates graduated in 2009 are now food service tech, vet tech, cashier, housekeeper...no connection, no talk. Welcome to x-ray lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

gradof09 in La Grange, Kentucky

41 months ago

Jobs terribly hard to find in my area too... I've only gotten 32 hrs at a local hospital... I clean houses one day a week to try and provide more income for me and my children.... too many techs make it too easy for the hospitals to fire at will... also, the peer interview has turned into a popularity contest.. top grades and strong work ethics don't seem to matter.... from what I have experienced, big drinking and party habits seem to get you the job with "the click"... it is sad and pathetic and I am so disappointed with this field as I had held it in very high esteem... I'm just so sad... BUT I DO LOVE X-RAY... I just want to work!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

looking for x-ray jobs in Largo, Florida

33 months ago

Mina in Collinsville, Illinois said: Hint~You DO have an experience gained through your clinical rotations.. You sould have that in consideration...Good Luck

I have had jobs clearly state that clinical rotation experience is not actual x-ray experience. They want on the job experience after schooling

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.