WE ARE RADIOLOGIC TECHNOLOGIST NOT TECHNICIAN/TECH/ETC.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 159)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

THE UNTOLD TRUTH in Herndon, Virginia

80 months ago

I almost feel like I wasted 2yrs of pre-requisite classes to then go for 2 more years of all radiography technology classes. I/we should be given credit for the 4 years of school and $ we spent. WE SHOULD HAVE BACHELOR DEGREE!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Looking for a job in Fairfax, Virginia

71 months ago

Is it too much to ask for a work environment of productivity yet no backstabbing? How about a work environment where the employee and employer appreciate each other.
I have been looking for work in Utah, Colorado... for years with no luck. I have been looking for full time day shift work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Help in Tempe, Arizona

71 months ago

What is the difference between radiologic technician vs. technologist? What is the difference as far as what they do, schooling, etc? Thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Help in Tempe, Arizona

71 months ago

Will someone also please tell me how to start my own discussion? I can't find the link to do this. Thank you!

RT(R) in Fairfax, Virginia

71 months ago

Both are likely unemployed now, but the Technologist gave his $$ and time to a program or school vs a technician did not. A technician just assist the Technologist and when both are getting paid the technician makes less $.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Technologists vs. Technicians in San Francisco, California

71 months ago

Fairfax you are wrong. The difference between a Technologist and a Technician is to what extent they can perform an exam. A Technician can only perform x-rays in Dental offices for dental exams and in Doctor offices for extremity exams and no invasive exams. Whereas a Technologist can perform all exams such as Fluoroscopy, Mammography, CT and MRI exams. As well as chest, abdoment, and etc. I hope this clears the differenc up for you Tempe. Of course the pay is different but has nothing to do with the title.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

camd in Paterson, New Jersey

71 months ago

When it comes to performing fluoroscopic exams in California, it may be the case that technologists can perform it. In New Jersey and most of the other eastern states, technologists are NOT allowed to perform fluoroscopy. The radiologist (the doctor) does. Also, correction about this technician vs. technologist. Most of you have got it wrong. It is differentiated by the level of education and training that both have. Naturally, a technologist would have gone to at least a two-year college and acquire an associates degree in applied science for Radiologic Technonogy (there are baccalaureate programs out there too). A technician would be someone who had on-the-job training, say at a hospital based radiography program, with less classroom experience than the college student. Unfortunately, while there is no difference in the compensation, this allows the college graduate to be more marketable, and to move up the ranks faster than the person with just a certificate. Career ladders need to be developed (just like nurses. By the way, hospital programs, especially those in the eastern region of the country are becoming a thing of the past. They are finding it difficult to live up to the strict standards mandated by the JRCERT. For instance, the program directors are now required to have at least a Master's degree.
Radiologic technology is respectful profession, it is very rewarding. It opens up many more doors for advancement because of the various different facets associated with it. It is the type of job in which one cannot succeed if it is ventured into solely because of the salary. One has to have a love for helping people, and for being around people. Those in the field who are miserable, and find it hard to get up to go to work daily should seriously consider another career, and leave it to those who are serious about it.

Word of advice to all:
Please check spelling and grammar before posting

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Take Your Own Advice in Oakland, California

71 months ago

Here’s to New Jersey. You need to spell check your own work before you go off on others. As you can see, no one is perfect here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

OUT OF WORK in Cairo, Georgia

71 months ago

Untold Truth in Fairfax, Virginia said: I just noticed a advertisement for another new Rad. Technician school for so that the graduate can work as a med. asst. and perform x-ray exams. Yaa! Like we need more schools, students, a lowered bar and less access to jobs.

YEAH MY LOCAL SCHOOL KEEPS PUMPING OUT THE RADIOLOGY TECHS NOT BOTHERING TO TELL THEM THERE ARE NO JOBS WITHIN A 300 MILE RADIUS! I HAVE A FAMILY AN A SMALL CHILD SO I CANT JUST PICK UP MY LIFE AN GO FOLLOWING A JOB ACROSS COUNTRY! I HAVE TOTALLY WASTED MY YEARS OF PRE- REQ. CLASSES AN 2 YEARS OF SLAVING IN CLINICALS! PLUS I GOTTA PAY FOR CE CREDITS WHEN I CANT EVEN GET A JOB! IM SOOOO PISSSED!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

untold truth in Fairfax, Virginia

71 months ago

Out of work in Cairo, Ga. Good luck to you and yours.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

UNTOLD TRUTH in Fairfax, Virginia

71 months ago

OUT OF WORK in Cairo, Georga,
I have been there and done that!
Can you believe the idiots that get on here and ask where they can go to school. Even after all the information here and on other sites and places, telling them how the job market is so bad due to the "drug pushing" like schools, even though they know how bad things are!
GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF US!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

saenz9 in Denver, Colorado

68 months ago

You are wrong, an LMRT can perform cxr,abdomen xr as well as MRI,Sonograms, we can perform xr on the whole body.The latter is not quite regulated as the other procedures.(Texas)

Technologists vs. Technicians in San Francisco, California said: Fairfax you are wrong. The difference between a Technologist and a Technician is to what extent they can perform an exam. A Technician can only perform x-rays in Dental offices for dental exams and in Doctor offices for extremity exams and no invasive exams. Whereas a Technologist can perform all exams such as Fluoroscopy, Mammography, CT and MRI exams. As well as chest, abdoment, and etc. I hope this clears the differenc up for you Tempe. Of course the pay is different but has nothing to do with the title.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

saenz9 in Denver, Colorado

68 months ago

An LMRT can perform all x-ray procedures on a patient that an RT can. An LMRT can also perform Ultrasound and MRI, this is due to the fact that these procedures are not regulated.Check the Texas Department of Health X-ray Regulation website.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

kelsey in Quincy, Illinois

66 months ago

Does qnyone know any 4 year programs at colleges in Illinois, Iowa, Missouri or Kansas? I know that Mizzou offers one but that is all. I really want to go to school for 4 years not 2. thanks

reality check in Blacksburg, Virginia

66 months ago

It bothers me to read anger and sarcasm directed at RT programs, and little or no responsibility taken for individual decisions. It is not up to a school to research jobs for you and keep you updated on the economy. Health care in general, and radiography in particular have always suffered gluts and shortages.

If you have a desire for a bachelor's degree, a 2-year program is probably a poor choice. Complaining afterwards is simply that, and not useful.

In my experience, technologists are interested in advancing themselves and their profession. They treat their patients with compassion and appropriate care. Technicians produce images. The difference has nothing to do with who signed their diploma.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

mysticalfliprt in Paramus, New Jersey

65 months ago

saenz9 in Denver, Colorado said: An LMRT can perform all x-ray procedures on a patient that an RT can. An LMRT can also perform Ultrasound and MRI, this is due to the fact that these procedures are not regulated.Check the Texas Department of Health X-ray Regulation website.

yeah this is one of those states that are truly backwards and you won't see me work here or be a pt in these kind of states either.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

karen in Bronx, New York

65 months ago

camd in Paterson, New Jersey said: When it comes to performing fluoroscopic exams in California, it may be the case that technologists can perform it. In New Jersey and most of the other eastern states, technologists are NOT allowed to perform fluoroscopy. The radiologist (the doctor) does. Also, correction about this technician vs. technologist. Most of you have got it wrong. It is differentiated by the level of education and training that both have. Naturally, a technologist would have gone to at least a two-year college and acquire an associates degree in applied science for Radiologic Technonogy (there are baccalaureate programs out there too). A technician would be someone who had on-the-job training, say at a hospital based radiography program, with less classroom experience than the college student. Unfortunately, while there is no difference in the compensation, this allows the college graduate to be more marketable, and to move up the ranks faster than the person with just a certificate. Career ladders need to be developed (just like nurses. By the way, hospital programs, especially those in the eastern region of the country are becoming a thing of the past. They are finding it difficult to live up to the strict standards mandated by the JRCERT. For instance, the program directors are now required to have at least a Master's degree.
Radiologic technology is respectful profession, it is very rewarding. It opens up many more doors for advancement because of the various different facets associated with it. It is the type of job in which one cannot succeed if it is ventured into solely because of the salary. One has to have a love for helping people, and for being around people. Those in the field who are miserable, and find it hard to get up to go to work daily should seriously consider another career, and leave it to those who are serious about it.

Its Technology not Technonogy. Please spell check before submitting

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

karen in Bronx, New York

65 months ago

Its Technology not Technonogy. Please spell check before submitting

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

NJ in San Jose, California

64 months ago

hi,

I would like to know if I can find some MRI technical training institutes/schools in San Jose?

Is it true that one should be an RT first and then go in for MRI?

Pls help. I'm 31 Years old, and want to have a career change.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

Technologists vs. Technicians in San Francisco, California said: Fairfax you are wrong. The difference between a Technologist and a Technician is to what extent they can perform an exam. A Technician can only perform x-rays in Dental offices for dental exams and in Doctor offices for extremity exams and no invasive exams. Whereas a Technologist can perform all exams such as Fluoroscopy, Mammography, CT and MRI exams. As well as chest, abdoment, and etc. I hope this clears the differenc up for you Tempe. Of course the pay is different but has nothing to do with the title.

your comment is very helpful. thanks.

badradtech in Atlanta, Georgia

63 months ago

Can someone can tell me where to get info on who can shoot x-rays in Ga. I am
RT(R) but i'm the only one who can do my job at the clinic. I want to know if a MA can shoot chest x-ray in my absence...Clinic cannot or willnot hire another RT...

Thanks
Connie

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

cmd in Passaic, New Jersey

63 months ago

Connie,

I AM WRITING IN BOLD LETTERS BECAUSE THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT. ABSOLUTELY NO ONE BUT AN RT CAN TAKE IT'S THE LAW! X-RAYS. MEDICAL ASSISTANTS ARE NOT TRAINED HAVE NOT BEEN TRAINED IN RADIATION SAFETY. HANG IN THERE,AND BE CAREFUL

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

anthony in Westminster, California

63 months ago

can anyone answer my question. i have limited licence for x ray. i want to go to kansa for 4-5 yrs. if i take a course out there to be a full tech. can i come back to california and just take the state test???? even if i do the arrt test in kansas

Laid Off in Palm Springs, California

63 months ago

Jobs for RT's are few these days.

Let me address the limited x-ray tech (in California). I've taught at two limited schools. Both the schools where the private "trade" types. What a waste of time and money for the students. It limits the choices so much...but the schools are there to make money. I taught the clinical portion and tried over and over to teach these people how to take an x-ray. There were a few good people, but generally, they just could not grasp the simple concept of step 1, step 2, step 3. These people were Medical Assistants first and added the limited tech school after MA school.

I ADVISE ALL POTENTIAL RADIOLOGY STUDENTS....GO TO RN SCHOOL..THERE ARE NO JOBS FOR THE RADIOLOGIC TECHNOLOGIST.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

anthony in Westminster, California said: can anyone answer my question. i have limited licence for x ray. i want to go to kansa for 4-5 yrs. if i take a course out there to be a full tech. can i come back to california and just take the state test???? even if i do the arrt test in kansas

If you got the full RT route and Kansas has a state license in addition to the ARRT, reciprocity will take care of you for the California license. I picked up my Arizona license a couple of years ago in addition to Calif through reciprocity. The question for you is does Kansas have a state license in addition to the ARRT.

63 months ago

NJ in San Jose, California said: hi,

I would like to know if I can find some MRI technical training institutes/schools in San Jose?

Is it true that one should be an RT first and then go in for MRI?

Pls help. I'm 31 Years old, and want to have a career change.

GO TO RN SCHOOL...REPEAT DO NOT GO INTO MRI, you do not need a license to do MRI, since there is no radiation involved, BUT, most employers require you to be a fully licensed technologist just for the advanced medical imaging background you will have obtained. Its much easier to be an MRI tech if you are already a CT tech.....GO TO RN SCHOOL...GO INTO REGISTERED NURSING...DO NOT WASTE YOUR VALUABLE TIME IN THE IMAGING AREA. NO JOBS IN IMAGING AND 1000'S OF JOBS FOR RN.

Think about it, society always uses the term "doctors and nurses", its never
"doctors and radiologic technologists"

GO TO RN SCHOOL

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Thinking About It in Dunedin, Florida

63 months ago

Yes, there are openings for RNs but not everyone wants to be an RN. Work as a RN is vastly differnt than work as a technologist. People, please do your research and make an informed decision for yourselves.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

brittanyleigh in Saint Paul, Minnesota

63 months ago

Do you think it is a good choice to go to school for an Radiologic Technologist? PLEASE ANSWER!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

brittanyleigh in Saint Paul, Minnesota said: Do you think it is a good choice to go to school for an Radiologic Technologist? PLEASE ANSWER!!

Go to RN school. The opportunities for RN's far outnumber the opportunities for Rad Techs. IMO, the work of the RN is much the same as a Rad Tech. Its all healthcare and people. I've been a Rad Tech for 30 years and have done it all, CT, Nuc Med, Cath Lab, Specials,. The issue with radiography is that there is a very limited ability to move up. It doesn't matter if its Nuc Med., Cath, MRI or CT, its all a technical job. The ability to move up as a Rad Tech comes as part of advancement into management, which requires BA and MA-MBA degrees.

As an RN the opportunities are much greater, the pay is higher AND there are 1000's of jobs to choose from. Nurses are held in much higher esteem than Rad Techs, as I said in a post above its always "doctors and nurses". It is NEVER "doctors and technologists".

My advice is to become an RN. Even if you never go to another day of school you will have a license that will serve you well and support you for the rest of your life.

But also, as the above poster said, do your own research and make an informed decision. IMO, nursing the the better decision for this economy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Experience in Fairfax, Virginia

63 months ago

NO NOT NOW. Go into something else.

63 months ago

I have to say that the weather in Palm Springs has been STUNNING the past week. The heat is gone!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

I_want_my_money_back in Owings, Maryland

62 months ago

Just wanted to do a little venting and warn future students from going into a radiology program. I truly believe for those already in the career, the radiology field can be a great job, with a lot of opportunities for advancement. HOWEVER, if you have just graduated, there are practically no jobs!! I feel so mislead. When starting the program, my professors insisted how great a career we were getting into, and that choosing anything within the medical field was basically guaranteeing you a job. NOT TRUE!!! Im honestly heartbroken when I think about how much money, time, and dedication I have put into my schooling, for it to amount to nothing, not even a basic bachelors degree that I could use for a gov't job or something. I strongly urge anyone considering this career to research the job market in your area. That doesnt mean a basic search for Rad. jobs in your state, but actually go on hospital websites and such, and look at their career opportunities. This will be far more accurate. I have also noticed there seems to be more jobs for ultrasound techs, so if your debating b/t the two I would go for that over rad tech. Its the same amount of schooling, but better money, and more jobs. Good luck to everyone. Ive gotten nothing out of these last 2 yrs, so hopefully I can at the very least prevent it from happening to someone else.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

LOL in Palm Harbor, Florida

62 months ago

If you think there are more jobs in ultrasound, you are sadly mistaken. That field is FLOODED! Same misleading information from schools. Take a look in those forumns and see for yourself. Same with the job/hospital websites. If there isn't a school in your area, then maybe you'll have a slight chance of finding something if you are registered and have experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

the truth in Washington, District of Columbia

62 months ago

There is very little chance for advancement in x-ray anymore.
No person in there right mind should waste time and money on radiology technology school!
It has become a scam!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

karen in Bronx, New York

62 months ago

Owings in Maryland you are correct, it is very difficult to find a job unless you know someone, but ultrasound is also as bad. I have friends who was in ultrasound school and employers dont want to hire new graduates

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

damon in Baltimore, Maryland

61 months ago

hi i am in school for radiography and in my speech class i have to interview someone that is already working in my major but i do not know anyone and i was wondering if i can interview someone i have 2o questions you can email the answers back to me at poppop21214@yahoo.com thank you
1. How did you decide to enter this field?
2. What kind of education and training did you have?
3. What personal qualities are important for an individual considering this field?
4. What do you wish you had known before entering this field?
5. What kinds of preparation do you wish you had?
6. What are your typical duties and responsibilities?
7. What do you like best and find most rewarding?
8. What do you like least and find most frustrating?
9. How is your time divided between people, data and things?
10. What are some of the positive and negative aspects of working in this field?
11. How much influence do you have over decisions that affect you?
12. What additional training and qualifications are necessary for advancement?
13. Do people typically get promoted from within or do they move on to another company in order to advance?
14. What is turnover like in this company/field?
15. What types of training or professional development is offered at your company?
16. What types of internships or part time jobs would you suggest to people before they enter this field?
17. What specific advice would you give to someone considering this field?
18. Are you familiar with any professional associations that might be helpful for me to learn more about?
19. Could you recommend any other people working in this field who might be willing to talk to me?
20. Is there anything I should be asking that I have forgotten?

Unemployed in North Augusta, South Carolina

61 months ago

I have finally come to the conclusion that I am going to have to go back to school and get either a certificate in some lower paying medical career or go for RN. Please everyone read and comprehend what the other posters are trying to tell you. It is a tough market out there for RT(r)s. I have been unemployed now for 18 months. I like a lot of people out there have a family with a small child. I can not just pick up and move. Some of the hospitals around here have laid people off and decreased their salaries by atleast $2/hour. The others that are hiring probably know my resume by heart. I have been to 2 interviews out of the countless resumes I have submitted. The 2 interviews I went to were at family practices and it turns out they were looking more for a medical assitant rather than an actual RT(R). So I am assuming that they are allowing medical assistants take their radiographs. It really burns me up to think that may be the case. I love my profession. I really do not want to change my career. I am hoping that maybe I can get a certificate in something like phlebotomy or something and atleast get my foot in the door to one of these hospitals. Then maybe I can transfer to a RT(R) postion later. Good luck to all who are still persuing their associates in this profession. I like some of the others feel like I wasted my time, my family's time, and hard work for a useless degree.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

the truth in Fairfax, Virginia

61 months ago

Unemployed in North Augusta, South Carolina and others

I feel your pain.
I have tried to warn people for years about the prostitution of our field by $ grubbing x-ray schools/ colleges/hospitals etc.
The establishment does not care about you/us. In fact they probably want RT(R) job market flooded and people living on welfare, so they may have cheap labor.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

For the longest time I thought that maybe the hospital I used to work at was giving me really bad references. Especially when the unemployment office is telling you there shouldn't be a problem finding another job in your field. It wasn't until my last interview that I realized the market was flooded. The office manager there told me she was overwhelmed and astonished with the number of unemployed RT(R)s. She said a few years ago when they were trying to find one no one needed a job. The only reason I am not still at my old facility is beacuase I had a sick child and a bad marriage. So my absences kicked me out the door. It hurts me to know the people there couldn't work with me through my hard time. I was there 5 years straight out of school. They felt like my family since it was a small hospital. I am a great RT(R). I loved my job and it showed while I was there. Policy is more important than people these days. Now some of my family can't understand why I just will not take a crappy waitressing job somewhere. I did not get a degree to go wait tables. My marriage is better than ever now after we seperated, and my child is healthy as a horse. I worked my tail off for that place. I was there everyday during my pregnancy throwing up and all. After the first trimester I scrubbed in with double aprons on and stood on my feet for 8 to 12 hours in special procedures. We would skip lunches working from 6am until 11pm on some days. I didn't have to stay that long, but I just couldn't leave until every patient was taken care of and the rest of the duties were done. I realized that working like that was not good for my family so I talked to my supervisor about going back to diagnostic. At that time there was nothing he could do for me. So after my daughter and I had a bout with the flu, and yes we both had the shot. My department head terminated me crying the entire time. When he started with the whole policy thing I didn't even beg. I tearfully said what am I gonna do now?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Laid Off in Cottonwood, Arizona

61 months ago

Hey, Unemployed in North Augusta, South Carolina, EMPLOYERS DO NOT CARE WHAT YOUR PROBLEMS ARE OR HOW WONDERFUL A JOB YOU FEEL YOU DID. Please do not think of this as an insult to you. That is the reality. No one cares what you have done, its just, "what can you do for me now". Of course the manager is going to terminate you, if not, then the manager gets terminated. Its a CYA situation. When I was finally done with 25 years of asking the radiologist how much lube to put on the tip (a real tech will understand what I mean) I became a Nursing Home Administrator. National test, state test, and I still have morons with no medical background or license trying to tell me how to do the job. I have fired many more people than when I was a radiology manager. Its fire them or I will get fired. Its just business, a patient care business, yes, but in the final tally, its ALL about money. Its all about what have you done for me lately. Do not think that it's ever about you. It is not.

61 months ago

Laid Off, I am not insulted. I definately know about CYA. A person would have to be an idiot not to know about it working in a hospital. The simple fact is in a small hospital people can't help but have bonds with each other. Also at this time management was taking a different direction to get away from the attachments managers had with employees. The hospital had hired some guru to teach the managers a better way to do their jobs. I guess the lesson was here is how to treat your employees like crap with out feeling guilty about it. I know it wasn't about me in the end. It was his job, and he hated every minute of it. I don't feel like I did a good job. I KNOW I did a great job. I know it is just business or at least that is what you have to manipulate yourself to think to prevent the slightest human emotion when it comes to hurting your employees. Hats off to all managers. Talk about a tough job. I really wouldn't want to do it. My heart is too soft for it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

the truth in Fairfax, Virginia

61 months ago

Keep up your spirits!
I have been where you are/I have experienced your pain.
I hope you have good friends and family to help you get through it.
Good luck in your new career, what ever it maybe. If that is the direction you must take or choose.

61 months ago

Unemployed in North Augusta, South Carolina, you have an excellent understanding of the workplace ethos. Personally, I just cannot be a rad tech any longer. After you hit a certain age, you can no longer ask permission for each and every action you take with patients. Tech or nurse, its all the same, but the opportunities for nurses are HUGE and the opportunities for techs are zero. Who knows, this may change. In the 80's the opportunities for techs were HUGE also. I couldn't walk into a hospital without being hired on the spot.

At least now there is one less person with to much experience (me) clogging up the tech workforce. The younger techs can spend they're 25 years asking for permission from the radiologist for everything they do. Good luck in your job search, there are jobs out there for the experienced tech. Mammo techs are always in demand, female ultrasound techs (who can really scan) are in demand, radiation therapists are in demand.

What I've done for the past few years, as an independent, is pain management fluoro in OP surgery centers. Lots of pain cases going on and they ALL require fluoro and that means an RT must be used (legally). Much opportunity in the pain management area, most of which is not advertised, you just have to walk into the surgery centers and hand out your card.

The job market is indeed horrible for the new grad. Thats why I tell everyone go int nursing....
Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

Thanks, The Truth and Laid Off. Especially on the tip about pain management. I got some experience there too. It was part of a rotation at my old hospital. Well I went when no body else would haha. Why are some techs so scare of a c-arm I will never understand.

61 months ago

Surgery centers have been very, very good to me. Pain cases, gallbladder surgeries, porta caths, central lines, ortho cases, picc lines...all done in OP surgery centers. All require Fluoro. Chest xrays after line placements. Films post casting for ortho...all done in surgery centers that present an opportunity for the enterprising tech. Get your malpractice insurance from HPSO (its very cheap), print some cards and start marketing yourself.

I spent five years before that selling my radiology services to cath labs as an independent. So, there are a few avenues open to you in a tough job market.

If you have the confidence to step into any OR procedure requiring fluoro you are good to go.

61 months ago

it is eye opening. thanks for sharing

what to do?! in Honolulu, Hawaii

61 months ago

soo this is my 2nd year in college and i'm still taking pre-reqs to get into the rad tech program. i probably won't be done for another year or so.

so my plan is to finish up rad tech here in hawaii.. work part-time as a rad tech.. and then go to school for sonography on the mainland.. i was thinking of gateway CC in arizona..
good or bad idea? am i wasting my parents money?
am i better off with nursing? i believe it's not too late for me to change my mind since i'm taking similar pre-req classes for nursing.
help please! i seriously don't know what to do OR what to tell my parents.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

The truth

61 months ago

Nursing!
NOT radiology!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Stm 101 in Yuma, Arizona

61 months ago

I have been a ARRT Rad Tech for many years. I have done general radiography, cardiac cath lab/special procedures, CT, nuclear medicine, been the director of many departments and knowing what I know now...from all my years of experience in radiology...I SHOULD HAVE GONE TO NURSING SCHOOL.

The opportunities for REGISTERED NURSES are almost limitless. Hundreds and hundreds of jobs for nurses and as we boomers get older even more nurses will be needed. In the California prison system registered nurses are starting at $95,000.00/year. Try and make that as a rad tech...not going to happen. Nurses are consistently paid more and have greater respect within the medical community.

Now, rad techs will always puff up and say "we are professionals", sorry, not so.
In this culture the term "doctors and nurses" is used constantly, it is NEVER "doctors and radiologic technologists".

I wish when I was 18 I had someone that knew, hit me in the head and tell me to go to nursing school. I finally got out of xray about 10 years ago and became a licensed nursing home administrator, for better or worse, who knows.

If you become a registered nurse, obtain a BSN, then an MSN, you can go right to the top. Also, if you never do another day of school, except for the community college nursing degree, you will have a way to support yourself with high wages for the rest of your life.

PLEASE, PLEASE read all of the above and GET OUT OF XRAY NOW!!!!! Don't waste your time on a dying field with limited opportunity.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Heather in New Haven, Connecticut

61 months ago

Diagnostic imaging is hardly a dying field with limited opportunity.

We're in a terrible stretch right now. Our normal, regular glut of new graduates (this comes along every couple of years) happened in the middle of one of the worst recessions we've ever seen. Seasoned, experienced RT's are out of work, even less-expensive new graduates can't find a job.

Don't kid yourself that RN's are not feeling the pinch. While it may be true that "In the California prison system registered nurses are starting at $95,000.00/year", California is one state out of 50. And frankly, since the state gov't of California has it's own budget woes at the moment (can you say a 21 billion dollar deficit?), don't kid yourself that the prison system will be untouched. And hospitals are in the same bind.

Just as with nursing and for the same reason (people get sick) there will continue to be growth in all areas of healthcare, including diagnostic imaging.

I'm sorry you're out of work and not surprised that you're angry.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.