Too many Radiography schools/programs in your area?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 173)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

RT(R) in Herndon, Virginia

76 months ago

Is it all about just trying to get a persons $ for tuition, parking, books etc.?
Or is it about the employers purposely opening too programs resulting in decreased wages, and increased unemployment?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

rtr in Dumont, New Jersey

76 months ago

all of the above. ARRT is also a bunch of crooks too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Terry in Phoenix, Arizona

76 months ago

Your absolutely right, There are 5 xray schools in Phoenix alone. there is a flood in the market, for xray techs. The specialties are different. There are a shortage of nuclear med and MRI, and ultrasound techs, and mammo. they are still in great demand.
I would never haven gotten into this field had I known what I know now. you'll never not have to work overtime, if you want to live in the nicer areas. Your wife will allways have to work to help with the bills. you'll never make as much as a successfull career person. (never make a 100k) you can make a living, but you'll always be on a budget. This field tops our to soon, your only worth as much as the market bears. Remember the schools are pumping out students year after year. when you start making good money they replace you with a newly trained person and save on pay.
I don't recomend this field to any body.
Go to nursing school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Niz in Portland, Oregon

74 months ago

Honestly I see the specialties drying up here in portland as well, there is not x-ray shortage whatsoever, the schools will start closing in a few years once they can't con anyone into going.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

salenn in Phoenix, Arizona

69 months ago

Hi,
I am an x-ray/mammo tech in the Phoenix area. The Arizona College of Allied Health told me one year ago that they received a letter from the US Department of labor that there was way too many radiology technologists and not to teach radiogrphy courses which they do not now.
A friend of mine who is in her fifties, told me she went to apply for an x-ray tech job in Scottsdale and the manager told her that there were over 65 resumes sent the first day. Luckily, I am a Mammo tech,or I would have no work. I feel for people job hunting. Some of the outrageous questions I was asked during interviews were illegal. For instance, at Paradise Valley Family Practice, the office manager told me that on the second interview the Doctor would come in and ask me the difficult questions like if I was married or not, what I did after work , and so forth. I did not answer one question and left the facility. Another friend of mine told me that an imaging facility called him back and told him to quit faxing resumes over, that they had already received two resumes. This was in Scottsdale at a very busy imaging facility(Guess who!!!) Some of the Doctors offices are so cheap that they have unqualified people staffing the front at minimun wage who do not know anything about medical. I am sure many radiology techs can agree with me. Anyway good luck on the luckless job search. Do not go into the radiology field. There is no shortage!!!Arizona Heart Hospital cut the CT techs hours from 40 hours a week to thirty hours a week.Cardiologists make the most money, what is wrong with this picture??. They also laid off one x-ray technologist already!! Save yourself!! Thanks for reading this, Salenn

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

rick in phoenix in Litchfield Park, Arizona

66 months ago

Hi salenn and anybody else. I was really looking into radiology/radiography here and looking for schools. new to the state so don't know where to look for all the great info yet. You all have me worried that I am going in the wrong direction?!?!? I am not looking for the end all perfect job, but do want something indoors, good pay, benefits, and good hours. any comments??? still looking and learning. thanks, rick.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

stacker in Dublin, Ohio

65 months ago

I wasted my time and money on a worthless career! There are no jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Linda in Stuart, Florida

64 months ago

I have been a tech for 30yrs. Specialty in Cardiac Cath/Specials and have not had a fulltime job in over a year. I only work per diem in orthopaedic office. Fl. is over saturated by 4x more techs here than any other state and keep pouring them out of school. I say, keep going in a specialty had been mentioned previously in Mammo, MRI, and U/S. I am desperately searching daily. I would love to go back to specialty in demand, but no money and have to try to save my home. I would have not gone in this field either had I known this. Also, a very physical job and tough on your body. I have had a lot of great experiences, and will do my best to keep tryiing. Good Luck for all. Florida loves to work you to death for free.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jimmy in Gilbert, Arizona

64 months ago

I guess the lesson learned is... specialize.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Rebecca in Orlando, Florida

60 months ago

I think its all about timing. I graduated a yr ago and I remembered when I started this field 1995. At the time whoever graduated and passed the registry walked into a job the very next day. Now, I can't even find a job and it has been well over a year, know. I know of those who graduated when the economy was good and I see a lot of them working. Like I said, its all about the timing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

LP22 in Santa Fe Springs, California

60 months ago

salenn in Phoenix, Arizona said: Hi,
I am an x-ray/mammo tech in the Phoenix area. The Arizona College of Allied Health told me one year ago that they received a letter from the US Department of labor that there was way too many radiology technologists and not to teach radiogrphy courses which they do not now.
and the manager told her that there were over 65 resumes sent the first day. Luckily, I am a Mammo tech,or I would have no work. I feel for people job hunting. Some of the outrageous questions I was asked during interviews were illegal. For instance, at Paradise Valley Family Practice, the office manager told me that on the second interview the Doctor would come in and ask me the difficult questions like if I was married or not, what I did after work , and so forth. I did not answer one question and left the facility. Another friend of mine told me that an imaging facility called him back and told him to quit faxing resumes over, that they had already received two resumes. This was in Scottsdale at a very busy imaging facility(Guess who!!!) Some of the Doctors offices are so cheap that they have unqualified people staffing the front at minimun wage who do not know anything about medical. I am sure many radiology techs can agree with me. Anyway good luck on the luckless job search. Do not go into the radiology field. There is no shortage!!!Arizona Heart Hospital cut the CT techs hours from 40 hours a week to thirty hours a week.Cardiologists make the most money, what is wrong with this picture??. They also laid off one x-ray technologist already!! Save yourself!! Thanks for reading this, Salenn

Do recommend to be specialized in a field of radiology, for example MRI or Ultrasound or Cardiovascular? I really want to be an RT but I'm having a hard time deciding what school to attend and 4 what. I was going to go into DMS since its everything but im still confused.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sad about the job Market in Martinsville, Virginia

59 months ago

RT(R) in Herndon, Virginia said: Is it all about just trying to get a persons $ for tuition, parking, books etc.?
Or is it about the employers purposely opening too programs resulting in decreased wages, and increased unemployment?

There seems to be no jobs in VA. The new grads definitely have an upperhand versus experience. I used to work at a Virginia and The turnover was horrible because the the old timers sucked and there were too many students, Not to mention lazy students. Also, the students got accepted into the programs before some of the regular employees. Now people have to stay in there jobs because there are none and when one opens up there are usually over fifty applicants. There are probably ten schools in central VA alone. Sick

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Lponce in Whittier, California

59 months ago

Should I go for RT, Dignostic Medical Sonography or Cardiovascular technology?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Rebecca in Orlando, Florida

59 months ago

I would go for Sonography if you have a school around.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Brian in Cleveland, Ohio

59 months ago

I am going to School for X-Ray Technician here in Cleveland OHIO where the Cleveland Clinic is located and where University Hospitals connected to Case Western Reserve is. My ambition is too work as a X-Ray Technician and learn the MRI Machine where the sky is the limit. The salary to start here is 50K+. Nurses make the same starting. I did the research and the field is growing here and needs alot of X-ray techs until 2019 where it may level off. Ohio needs X-ray Techs and Nurses to endure the Baby Boomers that are reaching an older age and need more healthcare. Ohio and Florida are 2 states where healthcare is booming and the salarys I feel are going to go up with the demand of healthcare professionals. I did meet Healthcare Professionals in X-Ray Techs and they all were there for several years. So i do think it depends on where you live.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Kristi in Sioux Falls, South Dakota

58 months ago

I was very interested when I found this blog while job searching on the internet. I am a registered technologist who graduated in 2007. One month ago I was laid off from my job due to "over-staffing" in radiology at a very successful/busy orthopedic clinic here in Sioux Falls, SD and now find myself in the same situation I was in just two years ago to the month...jobless with few if any positions to apply for! When I was researching career choices, and even when I was acccepted to xray school from a very long, competitive list of applicants I feel that I was mislead into believing that there are countless opprotunities, many job openings, and a very competitive wage. However, my classmates and I, and MANY students who graduted before and after me, are struggling to find ANY job openings, especially in our city and surrounding area. In Sioux Falls, a city of around only 150,000 people, there are two GOOD accredited hospital-based radiology schools who graduate around 25 students a year, one from which I graduated from. Sioux Falls, and even the whole state of South Dakota(there are at least 5 radiology programs in the state)are completely flooded with very educated and skilled graduates. Even with this being so, there are still HUNDREDS of applicants to each school in S.F. every year obviously misinformed as to what the current situation for the profession is.
So now I find myself, just as I was as a new graduate, trying to figure out how I am going to use the education (I even have a B.S. RT(R) ) that I worked VERY hard to get. I am hoping for a job to open up in Sioux Falls, or maybe a surrounding town that I could commute to, since both my family and my husband's family all live close, but I have extended my search to other parts of the country as well, only to find that there are very few jobs open ANYWHERE! I am very disappointed and discouraged at how the first two years in the "working world" have turned out after working so hard to complete my education

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jt3kids in Tallahassee, Florida

58 months ago

Brian in Cleveland OHIO in Cleveland, Ohio said: I am going to School for X-Ray Technician here in Cleveland OHIO where the Cleveland Clinic is located and where University Hospitals connected to Case Western Reserve is. Note: new hospitals are being built in Cleveland. My ambition is too work as a X-Ray Technician and learn the MRI Machine soon thereafter where the sky is the limit. The salary to start here is 50K+ which is good in the midwest. Nurses make the same starting. I did the research and the field is growing here and needs alot of X-ray techs until 2019 where it may level off. Ohio needs X-ray Techs and Nurses to endure the Baby Boomers that are reaching an older age and need more healthcare. Ohio and Florida are 2 states where healthcare is booming and the salarys I feel are going to go up with the demand of healthcare professionals. I did meet Healthcare Professionals in X-Ray Techs and they all were there for several years. So i do think it depends on where you live and the demand for those medical professionals.

Brian

Florida is flooded with techs too

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

Linda in Stuart, Florida said: I have been a tech for 30yrs. Specialty in Cardiac Cath/Specials and have not had a fulltime job in over a year. I only work per diem in orthopaedic office. Fl. is over saturated by 4x more techs here than any other state and keep pouring them out of school. I say, keep going in a specialty had been mentioned previously in Mammo, MRI, and U/S. I am desperately searching daily. I would love to go back to specialty in demand, but no money and have to try to save my home. I would have not gone in this field either had I known this. Also, a very physical job and tough on your body. I have had a lot of great experiences, and will do my best to keep tryiing. Good Luck for all. Florida loves to work you to death for free.

I agree-while I'm only two years out of school, I'm in the same situation. And as far as pay goes, South Dakota is one of the lowest paid in the United States. Even when I had a good, full-time job, I was barely getting by every month, and I definately DO NOT live richly.

LadyK in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

57 months ago

I am upon finishing my prereqs for the rad tech program and everyday I conduct research to see if this is really what I want to do. I, of course, find the pro's and con's. So inclusively I can narrow out Florida as being a place I would not go to look for a job! But the man from Ohio I will definitely look into that. I have also heard that New York may be a great place that pays well. I want to work as a Rad Tech and continue to go to school for Health Adminisration and one day manage a Radiology department. I am getting nervous though because I am want to be able to support myself and be stable. Surely someone has to have a success story??? lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

DonnaridofARRT in Ithaca, New York

57 months ago

Brian in Cleveland OHIO in Cleveland, Ohio said: I am going to School for X-Ray Technician here in Cleveland OHIO where the Cleveland Clinic is located and where University Hospitals connected to Case Western Reserve is. Note: new hospitals are being built in Cleveland. My ambition is too work as a X-Ray Technician and learn the MRI Machine soon thereafter where the sky is the limit. The salary to start here is 50K+ which is good in the midwest. Nurses make the same starting. I did the research and the field is growing here and needs alot of X-ray techs until 2019 where it may level off. Ohio needs X-ray Techs and Nurses to endure the Baby Boomers that are reaching an older age and need more healthcare. Ohio and Florida are 2 states where healthcare is booming and the salarys I feel are going to go up with the demand of healthcare professionals. I did meet Healthcare Professionals in X-Ray Techs and they all were there for several years. So i do think it depends on where you live and the demand for those medical professionals.

Brian

Brian is apparently an employee of a school. Please disregard anything he says. (Most baby boomers are not going to be able to retire anytime in the near future due to the wiping out of retirement accounts).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

DonnaridofARRT in Ithaca, New York

57 months ago

LadyK in Milwaukee, Wisconsin said: I am upon finishing my prereqs for the rad tech program and everyday I conduct research to see if this is really what I want to do. I, of course, find the pro's and con's. So inclusively I can narrow out Florida as being a place I would not go to look for a job! But the man from Ohio I will definitely look into that. I have also heard that New York may be a great place that pays well. I want to work as a Rad Tech and continue to go to school for Health Adminisration and one day manage a Radiology department. I am getting nervous though because I am want to be able to support myself and be stable. Surely someone has to have a success story??? lol

Not in NY

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

While I am usually a optimist, not a pessimist, the first two years of my career have made me a realist. When I went into the radiology field, I too saw many opprotunities to professionally grow; however, while you may be able to make more money and be more marketable by expanding to other modalities, you have to remember that first you need to be trained in these other modalities. This means finding a school, internship, or on-the-job training somewhere. A lot of times these can be as difficult to find as an actual job! I have seen a couple people mention the stat that the career is expected to grow through the year 2019. I'm not sure where this stat comes from, but it is obviously somewhat inaccurate based on the comments posted here from real people in the work field. Also, if you are willing to move all over the country to find a job, it might be a lot easier to find a position. However, I know that a lot of people are not in this situation and have family or other things that are very important to them that they would like to be semi-close to. I think if this is a career that you are TRULY passionate about, then pursue it! But I also encourage those looking into the profession not to be naive about the situation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

thor6666 in Lorain, Ohio

56 months ago

My experince ia a bit different -trained in Cleveland Ohio at a 300 bed hospital tied to the Cleveland Clinic.Graduated in August got hired in Sept where I had worked as a transport aide 1 full year, $21/hr no medical benefits, am working 43-45 hrs per week.In December I start 3rd shift full time. At a hosppital where no changes had occurred in years, after a hiring freeze started in Jan 09.I am not brilliant, but a very solid tudent who didn't make any enemies and always had an eagerness to learn from others and voulunteered for every difficult job,I got along w everyone and when the managers started asking everyone if I was a good fit everyone sai yes. You need to establish entre and have a good reputation and be luky. Five full time tech jobs have opened in this small department, and 3 ladies just got back from maternity leave, so they needed PRN workers. You need to be good, and you need to be lucky. Ninety percent of my fellow graduates are still looking for jobs, but I do see a few openings in the area-trouble is my clinical site has 2 more excellent graduates in Dec, with no job openings at all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

thor6666 in Lorain, Ohio

56 months ago

Just found about 2o jobs in Radiography in DC and northern Va-look at Washington Post online classifieds-current up to November

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

thor6666 in Lorain, Ohio

56 months ago

thor6666 in Lorain, Ohio said: Just found about 2o jobs in Radiography in DC and northern Va-look at Washington Post online classifieds-current up to November

go to northamerica dot net and type in radiologic technologist ft belvoir to see the job

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

radtechlady in hughesville, Maryland

56 months ago

I graduated and passed my boards a year and a half ago. I was offered two jobs before I even graduated from my Radiographer program. I worked as a PRN at both jobs and had no problem getting all the hours I could handle. One job was at Children's hospital in Washington DC making $35 per hour and the other was as a CT tech making $29 at a local hospital. I saw a full time position as a cardiac cath tech that was posted at the local hospital where I did my CT...I applied and was hired. I am training in that position now at $40 per hour with benefits, working Monday thru Friday, holidays off, lots of on call and overtime, I have a stipulation in writing to get a raise in one year after training. The advice I can offer to anyone going into the field is to work as hard as you can in your clinicals. My success is because when I was in school I had to do 60 hours of CT and while everyone else just tried to get there hours over with, I went to my clinicals with the intent to impress the boss and get a job out of it. I cleaned the room, stocked the cabinets, wiped down films, made sure rooms had sheets and gloves etc. My class mates made fun of me and said that they were there to learn and not to clean...I got jobs and they did not! Don't be discouraged, you can make money in this field and there is so much room to cross over into another modality once you get your foot in the door...so work hard and shine above everyone, you can relax more once your hired!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

I am very happy to hear that you have been successful and it certainly sounds like you deserve it! During my time as a radiology student I feel like I also went the extra mile and worked very hard. I also worked to establish great friendships and professional relationships. That is why my current situation is so frustrating. I was recently laid off from my full time job and I am very fortunate that I have a PRN position at a hospital and I am called very often to pick up hours; however, there is no guarantee for hours and no benefits included with the position. While my theory is to work hard at everything you do, it's not always a guarantee, especially in today's economy and with the abundance of Rad. Techs looking for jobs, that you will find a position. I would also go as far to say that you are very fortunate for finding such a well-paying position. In many states, ESPECIALLY in South Dakota, positions in radiology including trained modalities are definately not paid that well, most close to half of what you are being paid. So while I'm very happy to hear a success story in the field, realistically many professionals in our field are not near as lucky, even if they have worked exhaustingly.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Fayetteville, North Carolina

55 months ago

F%!k Radolph Community College radiography program in Asheboro, NC!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Fayetteville, North Carolina

55 months ago

F%!k Randolph Community College radiography program in Asheboro, NC!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Hoover in Dothan, Alabama

54 months ago

radtechlady in hughesville, Maryland said: I graduated and passed my boards a year and a half ago. I was offered two jobs before I even graduated from my Radiographer program. I worked as a PRN at both jobs and had no problem getting all the hours I could handle. One job was at Children's hospital in Washington DC making $35 per hour and the other was as a CT tech making $29 at a local hospital. I saw a full time position as a cardiac cath tech that was posted at the local hospital where I did my CT...I applied and was hired. I am training in that position now at $40 per hour with benefits, working Monday thru Friday, holidays off, lots of on call and overtime, I have a stipulation in writing to get a raise in one year after training. The advice I can offer to anyone going into the field is to work as hard as you can in your clinicals. My success is because when I was in school I had to do 60 hours of CT and while everyone else just tried to get there hours over with, I went to my clinicals with the intent to impress the boss and get a job out of it. I cleaned the room, stocked the cabinets, wiped down films, made sure rooms had sheets and gloves etc. My class mates made fun of me and said that they were there to learn and not to clean...I got jobs and they did not! Don't be discouraged, you can make money in this field and there is so much room to cross over into another modality once you get your foot in the door...so work hard and shine above everyone, you can relax more once your hired!

I'm sorry, but I just don't believe this at all. This is the most over-saturated the market has ever been. I can't imagine anyone paying that to a new hire, let alone someone with less than 5 years of experience. Granted I live in one of the lowest paying areas in the nation...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Terry in Chandler, Arizona

54 months ago

Terry in Phoenix, Arizona said: Your absolutely right, There are 5 xray schools in Phoenix alone. there is a flood in the market, for xray techs. The specialties are different. There are a shortage of nuclear med and MRI, and ultrasound techs, and mammo. they are still in great demand.
I would never haven gotten into this field had I known what I know now. you'll never not have to work overtime, if you want to live in the nicer areas. Your wife will allways have to work to help with the bills. you'll never make as much as a successfull career person. (never make a 100k) you can make a living, but you'll always be on a budget. This field tops our to soon, your only worth as much as the market bears. Remember the schools are pumping out students year after year. when you start making good money they replace you with a newly trained person and save on pay.
I don't recomend this field to any body.
Go to nursing school.

This is totally bogus, you hear this stuff all the time I am a radiology manager and scoure there country all the time to find technologist, and these numbers are totally wrong.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

Terry in Chandler, Arizona said: This is totally bogus, you hear this stuff all the time I am a radiology manager and scoure there country all the time to find technologist, and these numbers are totally wrong.

Really? If you read this blog I think your scouring days will be over...sounds like there are plenty of qualified techs available. I happen to know about 6 of them that are struggling to get by because there are no positions. Could you please post your hospital/clinic's website so that I can look into open positions and also show others? Or if you know of other places that may be hiring, please refer me. It's really not fair to you make a comment like this and not share this information. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Terry in Chandler, Arizona

54 months ago

my point was the previous post was rediculous.
It was full of fabtrications and the ranges are totallyu out of line.
read both again
no wonder you can't find a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

Terry in Chandler, Arizona said: my point was the previous post was rediculous.
It was full of fabtrications and the ranges are totallyu out of line.
read both again
no wonder you can't find a job.

I was actually being serious. If you're looking for qualified techs or know open positions, please share. No need for personal attacks. Please explain to me why I do not have a job based on my previous post? Just an observation...it's difficult to take your posts seriously when your spelling is atroucious.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Heather in New Haven, Connecticut

54 months ago

Kristi - absolutely. A lot of what you see here is nonsense. The problem with an anonymous forum is that you have no idea who is posting or whether they have any solid, personal experience in the field. And beware anytime someone posts $$ information. Frequently, if they're happy it's exaggerated upward, if they're unhappy it's exaggerated down.

Every industry is struggling in this economy. Healthcare in particular is the victim of years of inflated prices coupled with plummeting reimbursement and increases in "free" healthcare (the number of patients seen in ER's nationally who have no insurance and cannot pay for care is staggering).

The truth is, we're all in trouble. Don't enter any profession thinking it's immune from layoffs, hiring freezes, or doing more with less. Don't base your career choice on how much money you THINK you can make. If you're out of work, find something - anything - to pay your bills and keep your head above water. Reenter the profession when you can if that's what you want to do (I know a few folks who left healthcare altogether).

Good luck,
heather

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

Heather-Thank you for such a level-headed and helpful post! I agree...this economy and just healthcare all together is in a very scary situation. After being laid off I thought I could get by just working PRN for the hospital where I went to radiology school until something opened up; however, I'm finding now that this may not happen very soon. And with so many techs looking for jobs, my chances of getting a position that does open up are somewhat deflated. So, like you said I've been applying for jobs just to get the bills paid and buy the house that my husband and I so desperately want. I wish that I would have just done this right away! I am also thinking of going back to school to expand my skills and knowledge outside of the healthcare field. I think that when I made my career choice, part of me did think that healthcare was immuned to certain things that you mentioned and that I would make "good" money (whatever that even means!) I'm now thinking that I was CRAZY...my interests and talents have nothing to do with healthcare. Anyway, I will quit babbling and thank you again for your post!

Heather in New Haven, Connecticut

54 months ago

Kristi in Sioux Falls, South Dakota said: Heather-Thank you for such a level-headed and helpful post! I agree...this economy and just healthcare all together is in a very scary situation. After being laid off I thought I could get by just working PRN for the hospital where I went to radiology school until something opened up; however, I'm finding now that this may not happen very soon. And with so many techs looking for jobs, my chances of getting a position that does open up are somewhat deflated. So, like you said I've been applying for jobs just to get the bills paid and buy the house that my husband and I so desperately want. I wish that I would have just done this right away! I am also thinking of going back to school to expand my skills and knowledge outside of the healthcare field. I think that when I made my career choice, part of me did think that healthcare was immuned to certain things that you mentioned and that I would make "good" money (whatever that even means!) I'm now thinking that I was CRAZY...my interests and talents have nothing to do with healthcare. Anyway, I will quit babbling and thank you again for your post!

Kristi, I would like to encourage you - if you believe that your interests and talents do not lie in healthcare, for heaven's sake be happy that you haven't been able to find a job with us. It forces you to make a different choice and discover whatever it is that floats your boat.

Good luck
heather

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Christina in Moorestown, New Jersey

54 months ago

12 years ago, I was a medical assistant. I worked in a podiatrist's office. I did a lot of stuff that they trained me to do. I assisted with many in-office procedures, especially surgery, I delivered noninvasive treatments and I took x-rays. I got pregnant, left my job, raised my kids ( oh, I had another baby in the meantime). Now, I have gone back to school and got my LPN. I have an x-ray technician's certificate. I can not get a job because I am told I have no experience. I was also a CNA. This is not what I was told.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

susan in Advance, North Carolina

54 months ago

Kristi in Sioux Falls, South Dakota said: I was actually being serious. If you're looking for qualified techs or know open positions, please share. No need for personal attacks. Please explain to me why I do not have a job based on my previous post? Just an observation...it's difficult to take your posts seriously when your spelling is atroucious.

Kristi, I seriously doubt Terry from Arizona is a Radiology Manager - her misspellings are not typos. If she is, I too would like to know where because I would steer clear of any facility that would hire someone such as Terry.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

marigold in Salisbury, North Carolina

54 months ago

stacker in Dublin, Ohio said: I wasted my time and money on a worthless career! There are no jobs.

I agree totally from NC too many schools not enough jobs!!!!

allwhatineedisyouuu54 in Pikesville, Maryland

54 months ago

looking into schools in the area in Sugar Land, Texas

54 months ago

I was excited about applying to a school here for X-ray, but your posts make me think twice. I'm wondering if I did the additional 6 months for CT if that makes a difference? Also there is an online MRI course offered in my area which takes about 1 additional year to complete....I wonder if an online MRI course can get you a good job. It is a good point that schools are everywhere and new grads all the time, there just can't be an unlimited number of positions in any profession, especially not now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

taurus20red in Decatur, Georgia

53 months ago

I would go to school for something else if I were you. Its gonna take at least 3-5 yrs for the radiology job market to balance out with the supply of techs out there. And even if you did the additional CT or MRI training,you would still have a hard time finding a job.Because most places nowadays want you to have at least 2-3 yrs of experience before they hire you and there is already a flood of techs with more experience than that. I see a lot of jobs for physical and occupational therapists right now. Thats where the money is.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Daryll in Marion, Texas

53 months ago

You are very well written and accurate. If you, with a BS, can't even get an interview, what hope do AAS rad tech recent graduates have? You are right we were all mispled by most of the schools, even the community college programs and not just the PMI type 11,000 a year rip off places.

THERE ARE ZERO JOBS IN AMERICA RIGHT NOW IN RAD TECH

and the schools refuse to shut down, even though the dept of labor asked them to.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Jimmy in Coolidge, Arizona

53 months ago

The department of labor asked the schools to shut down? Where is your source on this?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

alan in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio

53 months ago

thor6666 in Lorain, Ohio said: My experince ia a bit different -trained in Cleveland Ohio at a 300 bed hospital tied to the Cleveland Clinic.Graduated in August got hired in Sept where I had worked as a transport aide 1 full year, $21/hr no medical benefits, am working 43-45 hrs per week.In December I start 3rd shift full time. At a hosppital where no changes had occurred in years, after a hiring freeze started in Jan 09.I am not brilliant, but a very solid tudent who didn't make any enemies and always had an eagerness to learn from others and voulunteered for every difficult job,I got along w everyone and when the managers started asking everyone if I was a good fit everyone sai yes. You need to establish entre and have a good reputation and be luky. Five full time tech jobs have opened in this small department, and 3 ladies just got back from maternity leave, so they needed PRN workers. You need to be good, and you need to be lucky. Ninety percent of my fellow graduates are still looking for jobs, but I do see a few openings in the area-trouble is my clinical site has 2 more excellent graduates in Dec, with no job openings at all.

I am in akron ohio 30min from cleveland and have almost given up. I have spent 4 years now trying to find something in the area. It is very had when there are so many people compeating for the same job's. It was very hard also to get into a school after the university took my money for all of the pre-rec classes, since there are so many students applyign each year

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Denise in Youngstown, Ohio

53 months ago

I will be graduating this May. I am really nervous that I will not be able to find a job. My hospital is not hiring any PRNs this year. Any suggestions?

Tom in El Monte, California

53 months ago

I'm currently looking into rad tech schools, but most community college are filled with waiting list. I plan on going to private school, but I came across this blog, and after reading all of the blogs, I was wondering if there are shortages in CA for RT.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Daryll in Marion, Texas

53 months ago

Tom in El Monte, California said: I'm currently looking into rad tech schools, but most community college are filled with waiting list. I plan on going to private school, but I came across this blog, and after reading all of the blogs, I was wondering if there are shortages in CA for RT.

You should not get into RT at all, as this field will be dead for about next 8 yrs. Tom; I'm letting you know now before it is too late. You should do RN, or if you don't want all those headaches, become an RT Resp therapist. They are in demand in all states. DO NOT DO XRAY! Even 5 yr techs aren’t even getting a call back. The only people getting calls are 5 yr experienced CT techs. DON'T GO TO A PRIVATE XRAY SCHOOL. My God I wouldn't pay the 11,000 a year they want like PMI for no job when you get out. I was fortunate to get my degree at a community college 1,000/yr. I still have no job 10 months out. I had a part time mobile job but gave it to my friend when I had to move out of state because my spouse RN had to relocate.
Those private x-ray schools ought to shut down for 5 yrs with the glut in the market. It is a disgrace that they are still open. I do have to admit since the urgent care centers only hire 12/hr practical techs, who must also answer the phones, draw blood, clean the toilets, places like Apollo college are fulfilling a need training "Techs" in like 8 months.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Dannielle in Eugene, Oregon

53 months ago

I have yet to see anyone talk about Radiation therapy? Does anyone out there have any experience or info about this field?
I am currently trying to get into RT to get and AAS then move onto the Cert progam in Radiation therapy. The idea was to have the tech job as a fall back incase I couldn't find a therapy job. I am now seriously considering just going into therapy directly and skipping the tech.

Also, can anyone explain why the DOL has so grossly misled us with their statistics? I know that the government is far from infallible, but if the bloggers on this page are accurate it seems that they are bordering on negligence.

When I check this websi

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.