The difference between LMRT and RT (RT's ONLY)

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 85)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Hommy RT R in Olympia, Washington

77 months ago

Other than my own personal thoughts, I would like to get the opinions of other
RT's thoughs on LMRT!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

j in Paramus, New Jersey

77 months ago

I am an RT. I read your post earlier. I do have two job offers by the way another one coming up like Hommy I bet not in an agency anymore so I am not a bitter RT who can't find a job. I love this field because there are so many things you can explore, learn and go to but there are so many things right now that make this field look like crap bluntly put. One of them are schools or even the limited x ray schools or any kind of radiology field school there is even. They take so many students but hopefully that will change and they promise this and that but it is not logical. However, they always put a fine print in the bottom before you enroll that all their promises are not guarantee so you can't really sue them. Anyway, what do I think of limited x ray technicians. I've honestly met some good ones who should be full pledge RTs and do a lot of work but they only work in doctor's offices so their opportunity is very limited. However, due to their age and so forth they rather not go back to school especially when they are retiring pretty soon. If you do get the limited x ray tech license if you wish to do so and I am not stopping you, I hope you all know if you wish to relocate you may not be able to work there as a limited x ray tech due to the state laws especially that the Care Bill seems to get pass pretty soon regardless that you are grandfathered in. What happens if you are in a clinic that just closes and you need to find work and that the only work you find is in another state but they won't accept so and so applicants? It is pretty saturated still in the field so think about that so you need the best qualifications there is . Besides I know all you want to earn more money than you have right now but having quick money is the best way really? I wouldn't even describe LMRT like a LPN at all. At least they get hired quick and get paid $20 and up in a good clinic in a good state and usually the clinic is willing to pay for continuing education while a LMRT gets

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

j in Paramus, New Jersey

77 months ago

way below that and those doctors you work for may not pay for your continuing education either to the point you may have to quit your job because the x ray schools' clinicals and didactic courses are at the day time at least the accredited ones. You might end up working inadequete machines but you rarely will work in a very good equipment if the doctor is the type to be up to date in things, in which is hard to find. It's also true doctors will only hire an MA with a limited x ray tech license as well so that's another thing. Of course you'll get paid a little bit more but not as much as you should for both of your certifications. I seriously recommend just going straight to an accredited x ray school. I won't insult the military and yes it does have consequences of going but if you go there, you will learn also considering every case you have is STAT SO I respect you Hommy for your services for our country. If the shortage is bad as nursing then yes maybe I would recommend LMRT first to put your foot on the door but it is really hard to find a job and it is even harder finding a job as a LMRT. FYI, there are so many things to learn in x ray than just reading the state book on x ray and just passing it by the way. I can't speak for everyone but I rather get paid $20 starting and up and move some other modality like nuke, MRI, CT just to increase my value and income. Oh yeah also, even though MRI is not ionizing radiation I highly guarantee even though you are a LMRT, they won't hire you even if you are ARRT registered in MRI. They rather hire a ARRT registered x ray tech who is eligible or already registered in MRI.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Hommy RT R in Olympia, Washington

77 months ago

I totally agree! Thank you for pointing out the limited aspect...and I agree that there are good LMRT techs

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

arni135 in Cape Coral, Florida

69 months ago

Hello Iam a R.T(R)(MR)ARRT.I would like to know How is the job market for Mri tech- Radiographer in Atlanta, Georgia.
I will be relocating there next month any help. thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

tribilin in sylmar, California

67 months ago

whats a good school for RT program. I know kaplan but is expensive. is there another one that you guys know and less expensive. i just like this field and i want to go higher.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

jedwards in Spring, Texas

63 months ago

LMRT's and RT's are different. Plain and simple. LMRT's can earn just as much as RT's depending on how well you present yourself. I would recommend furthering your education to anyone, no matter who you are, RT, LMRT, RN BSN etc...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

kike in Mcallen, Texas

60 months ago

how much a lmrt win in the valley??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Stephanie in San Antonio, Texas

60 months ago

kike in Mcallen, Texas said: how much a lmrt win in the valley??

sorry, i dont understand the question. can you rewrite it. thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Kane San Antonio, Texas in San Antonio, Texas

58 months ago

Can you becomean LMRT and then remove the Limited part. I was told you can do that and then finish getting your associates degree and get your AART. A School
that has LMRT program told me that. Is it true or a lie?

Jesus in Houston, Texas

58 months ago

Does anybody know of any CEU'S in Houston, Tx?? For Radiology...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Heather in New Haven, Connecticut

57 months ago

No, you cannot become a limited whatever and then remove the limited part.

A limited (take your pick, in some states they're BMO - basic machine operator, LMXO - limited xray operator) is just that. Limited programs include the very basics of radiation protection, patient care, anatomy, positioning, physics ...

Yes, you can become a limited license technician. You can't just 'finish' an associates degree to become an RT. There are specific requirements that you'll have to complete, and your best bet is to contact the *ARRT* (no such thing as the AART) for the specifics.

I'm still baffled by the number of people who ask for information from an anonymous forum. You have no idea who's answering you.

You can find accurate info here: http:/arrt.org Not able to include the ARRT phone number in this post, but it's available on their website.

Good luck,
hjh, RT (30 years)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Joshua T. Hanson in Katy, Texas

57 months ago

I just graduated and got my LMRT license. Can anyone tell me where would be a goog start in finding a job??? I have to get my foot in the door somewhere. As soon as i do that I am going back to school...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Stephanie in San Antonio, Texas

57 months ago

A lot of the time places that need LMRTs dont post necessarily post up job offers so your best bet would be to go to chiropractors, small clinics, or imaging centers and apply your self.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Haley in Tennessee

55 months ago

I am currently going to school for LMRT in Memphis. I enjoyed reading all of the above entries, but J in New Jersey needs to take another approach to this topic. Some people may not have the time or means to go to school for 2 plus years to become an RT. Many people have children or other responsibilites that must come before school. Just because people may not have the time/means for a 2 year program doesnt mean they shouldn't better themselves and get some kind of college under their belt. My main priority is to work towards a career and have health insurance for goodness sake. Just because I am doing the limited program doesn't mean I wont return to school and finish as an RT or something else for that matter....when the time is right. So, I believe you need to think twice before discourageing people to do what they choose to do. Maybe suggesting or providing information would be better!

Thanks,

Haley

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

RTinCT in Madison, Connecticut

55 months ago

Haley in Tennessee said: Just because people may not have the time/means for a 2 year program doesnt mean they shouldn't better themselves and get some kind of college under their belt. My main priority is to work towards a career and have health insurance for goodness sake. So, I believe you need to think twice before discourageing people to do what they choose to do. Maybe suggesting or providing information would be better!

Haley, my argument with LMRT has nothing to do with you, nothing to do with people "bettering" themselves or finding a job that offers health insurance. And I do post information and make suggestions - get an RT, not LMRT.

LMRT is not good for healthcare as an industry, it gives the public a false sense of security, it allows healthcare providers (hospitals/clinics/offices) to offer substandard patient care and compromise patient safety. I heartily applaud the ARRT's decision to raise the bar and require applicants to have at least a two-year degree by 2015 (www.arrt.org/new/2009-09-17-ARRTSetsDegreeRequire.html) and can't wait for the day the requirement moves to a 4-year degree. I hope they abolish the idea of 'limited' technicians at the same time. If someone wanted to be a physician but couldn't spend 12 years in school, would you want them to be allowed to become a 'limited' surgeon who was allowed to perform some surgeries?

I don't want anyone whose education is 'limited' exposing any of my family members to ionizing radiation.

I'm sorry you have taken my comments or the comments of others personally, but how I feel (and many other professional imagers feel) about LMRT has nothing to do someone who needs to find a job and everything to do with the quality of healtcare in the US.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Htown353

55 months ago

I bet I can take x rays 100 times better than some rt's for several reasons. Since I specifically take xrays day in and day out without having to do other modalities like MRI ct etc., I am able to perfect my trade. Some Rt's truly are mad that they went to school longer and still make the same money. Ionized x radiation is no where near surgery anyways. I am an lmrt advising people do however get a two year degree because it's less expensive, better job opportunities, and you learn more. I know a bunch of lmrt's who went and got the rt, however it's not in an rt's place to say lmrt's are inferior, their not, as previosley stated, just different!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

CPCKE12 in Palestine, Texas

55 months ago

I AM GOING TO START SCHOOL IN AUGUST FOR RT,BUT BEFORE I CAN START I HAVE TO SEWCURE MY OWN EXTERN SITE AT A HOSPITAL,CAN ANYONE PLEASEEE HELP ME WITH A SITE AT A HOSPITAL IN HOUSTON AREA,I WILL TRAVEL,ANY HELP OR INFO WOULD HELP ME GREATLY,THANKS

Jesus in Houston, Texas

55 months ago

Well, I'm an LMRT is that bad? Why you don't like LMRT'S? Why you bring us, too low. You think it is fair??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jesus in Houston, Texas

55 months ago

Ah, by the way does anybody know of any CEU'S Classes? I need 4 more hours, to complete 12 hours, which is required by the States of Texas. Thank You for your help!!!!

Jesus in Houston, Texas

55 months ago

I live in Houston TX, my license expires in Sep 30, 2010. Thank You for your help...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Judy in Modesto Ca

55 months ago

I am a R.T with several advanced ARRT Certs in Mammography, Breast Sonongraphy. I beleive there is a good place in our medical care for LMRT's. I have read many of the responses from this blog and think we need to open our minds to change as society and medicine is changing. I would rather have a limitd tech that does a more limited scope of x-rays well, than a "spread to thin" I can do it all tech doing repeates after repeates because they are in a hurry to go start another procedure. We need to help each other in this very difficult time in our country. Not everyone has the opportunity to be an R.T. I think it LMRT is a good stepping stone if that is the direction you want, but a LMRT is a respectable job, as is any job done well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ndpham in Houston, Texas

54 months ago

I have temporary LMRT license which already expired. Does any bodu knows where can I get some kind like Prep Test to refreshen my memory be for I can go to take the state exams? Any help would be appreciated.

Andy

ndpham in Houston, Texas

54 months ago

Sorry. I am in Houston TX

Kevin in San Antonio, Texas

54 months ago

Orthopedic Performance Institute in San Antonio is looking to hire 1 LMRT in the next couple of weeks please e-mail resume to-

kphelps0105@gmail.com

Thank you
Kevin

Jesus in Houston, Texas

53 months ago

Joshua T. Hanson in Katy, Texas said: I just graduated and got my LMRT license. Can anyone tell me where would be a goog start in finding a job??? I have to get my foot in the door somewhere. As soon as i do that I am going back to school...

Go to www.N-O-V-A.COM, currently working there...

CPCKE12 in HUMBLE, Texas

53 months ago

ndpham in Houston, Texas said: I have temporary LMRT license which already expired. Does any bodu knows where can I get some kind like Prep Test to refreshen my memory be for I can go to take the state exams? Any help would be appreciated.

Andy

hey ndhham,im in humble and i have a study guide for fifty bucks..

dave in Brownsville, Texas

53 months ago

where are good places to apply as an lmrt? who hires you? would it be like day and night clinics?

stephanie in San Antonio, Texas

52 months ago

if ur temp lisence has expired ur school has gone to waste. u have one yr to take ur test when u get ur temp lisence so if u didnt test its done for. u can not renue a temp lisence.

ThomasK in Austin, Texas

51 months ago

dave in Brownsville, Texas said: where are good places to apply as an lmrt? who hires you? would it be like day and night clinics?

Try Urgent Care places. Great places to start off and you get some great experience there. Usually they will be 12 hour shifts. 9am-9pm or 8am-8pm or something depending on where you work.

ThomasK in Austin, Texas

51 months ago

stephanie in San Antonio, Texas said: if ur temp lisence has expired ur school has gone to waste. u have one yr to take ur test when u get ur temp lisence so if u didnt test its done for. u can not renue a temp lisence.

This isn't exactly correct... You have a year to take the test before your temp license expires, HOWEVER, you have 3 years to take your test before you need to take more education to still pass your test. The last two years you can still take your test, you just can't work until you do take it and pass. It's better to take your boards as soon as you can though so you don't forget everything, so usually after the one year is up people have hard times passing the exam.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

SamB in Houston, Texas

51 months ago

Hi guys

I want to become RT but i dont know which school to attend to I want to go for a 2 year AAS degree.

but the problem is I am having difficulties finding a good program for RT.

please someone do tell me THanks

jenni in Houston, Texas

51 months ago

Sam,
try san jac or Hcc

SamB in Houston, Texas

51 months ago

Hi i tried HCC college but no one is replying I left Email and I even called them I have no idea I look at their application for enrollment in the RT program which looks pretty fair to me.

I still cannot get contact from them and i have no clue about their radiography plan.

Yesterday I went to Pima Institute for the RT program for AAS but they are crazy there tuition is about 30,000 for 2 year AAS degree in RT.

I still need help, and i dont want to become a LMRT because I want to cont. my education and go all the way to Radiation Therapist.

Hope someone can help me .......My goals are here in Houston become and RT and then go for Radiation Therapist. If anyone can help me

I would luv the help........To be honest I feel like a Noob.

anyways thanks

SamB.

RT in Madison, Connecticut

51 months ago

The ARRT website (www.arrt.org/) can provide you with a list of all accredited programs in the US and CAN. Use the left nav link for Education/Primary Certification/List of Educational Progams - select the discipline and you'll have a list, sorted alphabetically by state.

Sean in San Bernardino, California

50 months ago

I already have my LMRT...it has been a few years since I have worked in the medical field. Due to the economy I am looking to get back into it. Anyone know of any place where I can work to get my foot back into this field again?
Thanks for any feedback...

michaelmcgraw in Austin, Texas

48 months ago

LookingToMove in San Antonio, Texas said: I currently have my LMRT temp license and working on taking the test to get my permanent license. I was wondering if anyone knows how I can find out what states accept LMRT's. I am considering moving to Pennsylvania.

I am an LMRT student currently halfway through my externship. I plan to pass the state board no later than January 2011 and I can get a great recommendation from the clinic where I am presently working. If anybody out there knows of anyone hiring in the central Texas area, please e-mail me at michaelmcgraw2006@yahoo.com.

Moshami in Houston, Texas

46 months ago

does n e one know of a college where LMRT students can go for their RT in Houston??? if u know then please please e-mail me at chameli333@yahoo.com
thanks!!!

Nadine in Syracuse, Indiana

44 months ago

RTinCT in Madison, Connecticut said: Haley, my argument with LMRT has nothing to do with you, nothing to do with people "bettering" themselves or finding a job that offers health insurance. And I do post information and make suggestions - get an RT, not LMRT.

LMRT is not good for healthcare as an industry, it gives the public a false sense of security, it allows healthcare providers (hospitals/clinics/offices) to offer substandard patient care and compromise patient safety. I heartily applaud the ARRT's decision to raise the bar and require applicants to have at least a two-year degree by 2015 ( www.arrt.org/new/2009-09-17-ARRTSetsDegreeRequire.html ) and can't wait for the day the requirement moves to a 4-year degree. I hope they abolish the idea of 'limited' technicians at the same time. If someone wanted to be a physician but couldn't spend 12 years in school, would you want them to be allowed to become a 'limited' surgeon who was allowed to perform some surgeries?

I don't want anyone whose education is 'limited' exposing any of my family members to ionizing radiation.

I'm sorry you have taken my comments or the comments of others personally, but how I feel (and many other professional imagers feel) about LMRT has nothing to do someone who needs to find a job and everything to do with the quality of healtcare in the US.

Actually, as an LMRT, we learned in the class room at IVY Tech (same place that you can get RT training) physics and ionizing radiation along with proper protection and pt proper positioning. We are limited because we are trained for office work not hospital work like an RT. So, really you are incorrect in saying we don't know about exposure because we do. And big deal about having to learn the make up of x-rays. Atoms break down etc., as none of you use that part again. It is to make a point of not using protections and the exposures you could get, which are scary. The only time you use that info is state exams.

cherry in Austin, Texas

44 months ago

Im currently enrolled as a LMRT and I think its a good start for those who want to learn a trade and later further their education as a RT or whatever they choose.I know for a fact that LMRTS CAN EARN JUST AS MUCH AS A RT DEPENDING ON WHERE YOU GO. I have friends on both sides of the fence. Its a catch 22 situation.

DTAYLOR in Brandon, Florida

43 months ago

i am on the road of becoming an limited operator soon and i really want to become an rt but i don't have the time or money to go to an 4 year college is there anything i can do at a hospital to shorten that

VTech in Grand Prairie, Texas

43 months ago

I got my ASRT in 1976 move to another field in 1986 and did not renew my license. Question will I have to go back to school and retake the registry to get my ASRT back?

michaelmcgraw2006 in Austin, Texas

43 months ago

The best way to find out would be to contact the ARRT.

jagtach@yahoo.com in San Benito, Texas

41 months ago

RT, LMRT, even a monkey can do xrays. Get over it! God Bless : )

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

DRONES in Omaha, Nebraska

40 months ago

The only way to truly have us, RT's, viewed as professionals is to drastically change the when, where and what for LMRTs. First off no LMRT should ever be able to take any type of x-ray with having a current RT on staff on at their facility. LMRTs need to be viewed and treated more like PAs and Nurse Practitioners. They work under the direction of a physician and so should LMRTs work under the direction of RTs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

mr w in Missouri City, Texas

40 months ago

yes i have something to say about LMRT. the LMRT programs are a total rip off. they are charging about 15k for the program and you come out with a substandard xray license. the RT program at a community college is probaby 1/5 that.....hospital based programs are about 1/5 that. i was once an LRMT and went back to get my general RT. i had an interview as an "instuctor" at one of these fly by night programs. and they had the nerve to offer a tech with 10 years experience in the field, 20 dollars PRN no benefits to teach a class full of 30 poor uninformed students. i had to decline their offer. not only are they ripping off the students, they rip off the staff too!! the programs are not owned by anyone with any kinds of healthcare credentials, simply a business man who has a little bit of money and feeds off the poor unfortunate students. pay 15k cant find a job and be stuck with a loan that will take you 10 years to pay off. you qualify for the loan, you get a seat in the class. do the math.

XrayzRT(R) in Martinsville, Virginia

40 months ago

mr w might I add, the patient also get ripped off by the substandard licensure. BMO/Limited has degraded the field by decreasing pay and the availability of jobs for the Allied Health Professionals that put in the time and devotion to get the ARRT
RT(R)credentialing. Enough said!

mr w in Missouri City, Texas

40 months ago

XrayzRT(R) in Martinsville, Virginia said: mr w might I add, the patient also get ripped off by the substandard licensure. BMO/Limited has degraded the field by decreasing pay and the availability of jobs for the Allied Health Professionals that put in the time and devotion to get the ARRT
RT(R)credentialing. Enough said!

yes and the LMRT has lower entrance standards....and a 42% percent pass rate.......this is public info that can be found online...42% LOL

aldridj2 in San Antonio, Texas

39 months ago

All of ya'll comments where very helpfull thanks.

Mike in Austin, Texas

39 months ago

I am a LMRT and I am very shocked by how many Rt's are misinformed or have the lack of knowledge of what LMRTs are for.

We basically fill the need for simple x-ray exams that are needed outside the hospital setting. LIMITED does not mean that we are limited in education. We are fine in a setting outside the hospital. Which by the way most RTs won't fill because you are not going to get paid your worth in a clinic. Which brings me to the complaining that goes on by RTs. It doesn't make sense cause your not going to fill the need for these clinics that are not going to pay you high dollar just to do simple x-ray exams.

I find this all very difficult to take in and wish that some of you would just do a little more research and not jump to judgement. Our education is not sub-par and neither are our skills. Please don't make your education come off as sub-par by being misinfomred or jumping to conclusions.

Lastly, I will have my RT in two months and still do not see the threat in LMRTS. Lots of over reacting.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.