Moving to Asheville - how did you get here?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 152)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Host

Where did you come from? How did you move here? What would you do different now?

Reply - Report abuse

Zeke in Asheville, North Carolina

58 months ago

TeflonDawn in Arden, North Carolina said:

I also ;have recently moved to Asheville area to a couple of college friends place out on Burney mountain. I am trying to vchange careers after having a construction company for over 30 years. There are a lot of cooking jobs around but getting one has eluded me so far. I have more hope than I did in Wv, since my work dried up completely. I haven't applied for a jop since I was a kid. Now I got the (this is what it is like to get old) thing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Mary in Johnson City, Tennessee

52 months ago

Jackie in Sellersville, Pennsylvania said: Thanks, I am looking for a place to move and had considered the Asheville area. You confirmed my suspicions about the area and the job market. I have visited the area, but that is different than living and earning a living. Again thanks for helping my decision on where to move.

Jackie,
Asheville is a nice city. But if you want a great place to live and without state income tax, move to Johnson City TN. Just 50-60 miles from Asheville but it's a completely different place. Great place to live, diverse job opportunites, inexpensive housing and high quality schools. We've been here for 15 years and love it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Dolores in Hendersonville, North Carolina

52 months ago

Johnson City, TN is also a great place to live. It is different but not in a bad way. I visit there alot since I have family there. You should check it out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Marie101 in Asheville, North Carolina

51 months ago

Asheville is well knowen for its high cost of living and low paying wages.
Most of the local people call it 8 dollar an hour Asheville

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

J in Asheville, North Carolina

50 months ago

Asheville is known for being very liberal politically and thus we have one of the highest tax structures in the state--our lowest bracket pays the same percentage that the highest bracket in other cities pay. The local newspaper (Citizen-Times) isn't even printed in Asheville anymore as it is cheaper and more profitable to print it in South Carolina and truck it in each morning.

The cost of living is high since it is a desirable area to live and most of the transplants come from high cost of living areas like NYC and Florida and drive up real estate prices and everything else as a result. I bought a home that was new construction 2 years ago and homes in my neighborhood are selling quickly at prices that seem to keep going up. There are well paying jobs in Asheville, but they are technical and require high levels of skill--don't expect to make six figures with a liberals arts degree because they are a dime a dozen here. 25% of the economy is healthcare and we all know doctor's make good money, which means there are plenty of high rent districts.

My advice to anyone moving to Asheville is to make sure you live outside the city limits and you'll pay much less in taxes (our property tax is $1200/yr versus $2400/yr that our friends in the city pay). The only benefit we don't have beyond voting for city officials is that we have to pay for our own trash pickup ($20/month). Asheville is a small town and those from the outside are looked down on--you'll see plenty of bumper stickers that say "Don't Move Here." My grandparents retired here 15 years ago and have a good network of friends I was able to harness (and a free place to stay temporarily) until I found a job, found a place to live, etc for a couple months. Your best bet finding a decent job in due time is going to professional networking events, which occur almost daily from lunchtime power networking meetings to Toastmasters to Business After 5.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

jadead in Asheville, North Carolina

50 months ago

Thank you for an honest, intelligent and straight-forward description on Asheville. It's funny that I should read this today as I am moving out of Asheville today. I'm speaking just on my own behalf and my own experiences. I found Asheville to be christian conservative with a passive aggressive attribute about many of the people I met. It's a beautiful area and I realized this is a great place to visit. I will never live here again. In my first week here I was in a fender bender. A young girl was changing lanes and I could see I was in her blind spot and by the time I hit the horn she had already hit me. Ok, not a big deal, Exchange information and be on your way. She jumped out of the car screaming and cussing/ I put my hands up in a surrender position and said calm down and that set her off even more. I walked away and called the police. At one point she just blurted out that she just didn't like the way I looked. I thought right then, is this southern hospitality? I have heard it's legal in the state of NC town have a sawed off shotgun? If this is true, why? I have done some freelance work here and not been paid. I offered one company to bring me on for two weeks. If they like my work we can talk about my future with the company. If they don't like my work they do not owe me any money and we shake hands and part ways. I've done this before and it works great. But this person could not say yes and they could not say no. But it never happened so it doesn't matter. So, after two years of this it's absolutely necessary to move on. I wish others better luck than I had that have just arrived and are looking for a great new beginning!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (37) / No (24) Reply - Report abuse

mary in Johnson City, Tennessee

50 months ago

Wow! I really appreciate your input. I was thinking about moving to Asheville in a couple of years. It sounds like I need to spend a little more time there before I make any decisions.

Can you tell us where you are moving to?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Zeke in Fairmont, West Virginia

50 months ago

I moved back to Elkins WV, where it is cooler, I got friends, one health food store, a Zazen community, fishing, swimming, my gaerlic patch I set out before I left for $8hr Asheville, job that utilize my degree and 30+ yrs of experience with some monatory justification. I love watching the rain from my porch agood food and glass of wine and agood book. They say Asheville is cool but I thought it was as hot as hell, I assume. Are you in Fairmont my alma-otter?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

jadead in Dickson, Tennessee

50 months ago

usc as ub California, not Carolina. Glad to hear (not that this makes me happy but that I wasn't alone) that others see through this over-rated and over-hyped up town. I was almost embarrassed for Mission when they interviewed me for a position that I honestly was the perfect match for... compensation must have been addressed at least 15 times initiated each time by Mission. I answered appropriately and went into the there are other important factors I need/consider when interviewing... the director was in agreement mode. Meanwhile, they're trying to buy champagne on a beer budget. Now with a town that claims to have everything including God taking extra special care of them it literrally became a challenge to get up in the morning and generate interest once again from a town of people who didn't even have the professional courtesy to say thanks but no thanks. I was perpetually left in the dark. As far as grocery chains go Ingles beat out the top chains in profit. I know they give back to the community and this is great but create jobs! Then this "we don't want chains in here. Guess what folks, your third walmart is a major league retail chain. The city of Los Angeles fights them tooth and nail every time walmart campaigns to open a store in LA. In fact, the entire state of CA only has 53 walmarts and Asheville is building their third. Am I missing something about this or is it just me?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Dolores in Hendersonville, North Carolina

50 months ago

West Virginia sounds a good place to live. As long as there are mountains aplenty I am happy and I know there are some there.....beautiful. I guess I am a lucky Ashevillian, being born and raised here. I have family here with homes that are paid for so that makes it easier. Asheville definitely needs to do something about the high cost of living here and the pay rates!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jadead

50 months ago

I'll mention again, the cost of living in a small town like asheville is atrocious. It's big city cost of living. This pleases the wealthy b/c it will keep a lot of the riff faff out, crime is low and if you're an outdoor persoj, great plsce. Let me put it this way; when Thomas Jefferson was suggested to right the Declaration of Independence... (God save us all) was a blundering mistake. First of all. it is so misleading that I'll wager 90% of all americans, (by the way, I was born,raised and educated in Boston and not a complete dummy to this)have no idea the true meanings in the constitution. "All Men are created equal. Tony Robbins could not sell that thought to0 the deaf today. It simply wasn't true, it referred to ones social clas which varied vastly much like today and here's the match thrown on the gas, Jefferson himself had slaves and believed in having them as his right. He obviously suffered from Grandiose Delusions. FREEDOM of SPEECH maybe the closest to what it reads BUT you only had it if you were not disruptive, offend anyone, what you have to say is best to be what I think... there are consequences to "FREEDOM of SPEECH" Lenny Bruce could fill you in on lots of those consequences if he were alive. One arrest was for saying "cocksucker" on stage. Hold on just for a second, Im censored nauseous!" “Some want a full censorship, others a half censorship; some want three-eighths freedom of the press, others none at all. God save me from my friends!”
- Karl Marx" I believe we would have all been better off today with Marxism. Freedom of the Press, Yep! Translation-"great lies" FOX, CNN, and why isn't that degenerative dissimulato cadLimbaugh flat broke and homeless is baffling. Crime pays people! This is what I am starting to believe. Full circle now, I purposely meandered because this is how I found the real Asheville. Looks like it's going somewhere, but it never does. Just a dead-end street!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (58) Reply - Report abuse

zu_zuz_petals@yahoo.com in Asheville, North Carolina

45 months ago

lol... i sure dont hear anything good about asheville except the mountains.. and man didnt make them.. but they sure created a Hades... i fell sorry for the real poor who cant move...im poor.. but.. nothing i have is like worth anything. so..id just take what is and move.. which i may...unemployed for 2 yrs.. laid off... nothing here that will fit a single mothers schedule of a Down syndrome lil girl....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

jadead in Van Nuys, California

45 months ago

Asheville, don't let that "southern hospitality" fool you. I did meet some very cool people there, it is pretty, there's enough to do if you put your best foot forward. Now the ugly; I've been gone for a while and I still carry this haunting feeling about the place. I never heard so many people say, "you know me, I tell it like it is" then they never do. It's very strange. If you're considering moving there for employment I can hook you up with someone that coaches people one on one on finding jobs. Very cool guy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

jennifer in Asheville, North Carolina

44 months ago

Asheville has gotten a lot of hype and honestly I do not know why. It is beautiful in the Summer and Fall, a great vacation spot. That is it. Living here is hell. There are no jobs and little possibility to advance if you have a job. It seems once you move here you are stuck in your own little vacant spot on the map. Hidden from the rest of the world. It is mostly about who you know and how many butts you are willing to kiss to get somewhere. I have two degrees and cannot find a job anywhere. I am looking at 8.00 hour jobs too..not high paying jobs. My boyfriend and I are fed up. We want to leave but our families are here and want us to stay. I don't know how much longer I can make them happy and be miserable.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

jadead in Valencia, California

44 months ago

My heart goes out to you. Also to the people who do love it there and want you to as well. I couldn't handle two things. In fact it was such a turn off that I became spiteful and my girlfriend at the time became really bitter towards me. As a result we split up. For me Asheville is beautiful. It pretty much stops there.When President Obama took a weekend vacation there didn't seem to be any kind of "special" planning, events, showcasing... nothing at all. Perhaps the President requested this? The people are very nice on the surface but it won't go deeper than the first layer of skin. There is still a bowl full of ignorance and prejudice there from my perception and "southern hospitality" is a joke. On the opposite end of the nice people I also came across some of the rudest, meanest, inconsiderate a-holes ever. Derogatory ethnic slurs were tossed around in public as though they were challenging anyone to step up and say something. Jobs was my breaking point. Unbelievable is all I can say. My girlfriend at the time had her steady job for 16 yrs and just didn't get it. This is usually the case with people that are gainfully employed. I have always worked a career job, paid a salary and with full compensation I frequently went into 6 figures. I could not get a minimum paying job OR could I get them to talk to me. Asheville is so overrated that it should be a crime. I knew this girl all my life and we pretty much can not stand each other today. Thank you very much Asheville. Check this out... You will probably have to cut & paste into your browser.

realestate.yahoo.com/promo/best-and-worst-cities-for-jobs-in-2011.html

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Hugh X in Wilmington, Delaware

41 months ago

Having read all of the comments. My company has offered me a promotion to Morganton NC which is near Asheville. I am a married black male and my wife would have to find work once we got there. So can someone honestly tell me if I need to pass on this promotion or should I try to look on the bright side and make it work

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

jadead in Manhattan Beach, California

41 months ago

I moved there with high hopes and I was never so humiliated and let down in my life! I live in LA, a world city filled with more diversity than one can fathom and yes, we have our problems but always seem to manage a way to find the light. Asheville in my opinion is a good ole boys club that is behind about 10 - 15 yrs. A quick example; I attended an invite only art show to raise funds for the hungry/homeless. Maybe 200 - 250 ppl attended this. Not looking for it but just an innocent observation, the attendees were all middle aged, overweight, white ppl with food dropping off their plates as they ate, talked and drank. It looked bad. Then I noticed that the only minorities there were two Black Women. They were there to empty the trash liners. That bothered me a lot, I mentioned something to the girl I went with and she just blew it off. I have heard people refer to Jewish ppl in ethnic slurs out loud in public. I was selling something one time and when this native spit out something close to English regarding the price he commented; "I'm gonna Blah you down boy" and I just said calmly; "go ahead and give it your best shot"... he never got it. My roots are of a Yankee, I have been living in LA for 20 yrs and I am certain they disliked me even more. I met a few good ppl there but overall, it's a depressing place to live unless you want to sit on the porch and watch trees grow. And someday, that may be just what I want to do! I am a white collar worker, have always done well, worked for a couple of the best companies in Los Angeles yet I couldn't get a job at Home Depot, Wal Mart, Lowe's, any of their infamous health-care facilities... wasn't a member of the gang. You may want to check this out...
All the Best!
By the way, I'm white, male and embarrassed by association for whatever that's worth.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

jadead in Manhattan Beach, California

41 months ago

Tied for 4th in the country as worst city to find a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ReloWife in Asheville, North Carolina

40 months ago

Hugh X in Wilmington, Delaware said: Having read all of the comments. My company has offered me a promotion to Morganton NC which is near Asheville. I am a married black male and my wife would have to find work once we got there. So can someone honestly tell me if I need to pass on this promotion or should I try to look on the bright side and make it work

As a well educated professional/relo wife on my 18th month unemployed in WNC, I stongly suggest your family to plan on:
1. no second income
2. additional expenses for therapy (joking, but then, not really)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

dodgerfan in Asheville, North Carolina

37 months ago

I too, moved to Asheville from southern CA. I wish I were back in CA, but we are victims of the current unemployment crisis. Husband found job, but I cannot. This is humiliating - applying for and practically begging for the 8 dollar an hour part-time job, then hearing that someone else is more suited for the job. Maybe I should give up, and spend my time hanging with the hippies.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Persy in Wheeling, West Virginia

36 months ago

Hello all. I've been reading through all of these comments and it has really scared me! I have lived everywhere (military) and am now finishing up a nursing degree in WV. I was seriously considering moving to Asheville to work at the VA Hospital there.
Everyone keeps telling me that, "its the gay capital of the East" and that I'll never have any relationships! Is that true??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

MG in Asheville, North Carolina

36 months ago

Hello,
I am here from Florida. I cannot say much about the job market here as I have not started yet. I was in the restaurant business for 14 years in Tampa. My sister has been here for 30 years. This is a very unique place. I have met only nice people here...very willing to help if needed. I would be happy come to your Cafe!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

CS in Asheville, North Carolina

35 months ago

Thank God! Finally ... a, "place" where people are telling the TRUTH ABOUT ASHEVILLE!!! I am a native of WNC, although I hate to admit it, but after living abroad for several years, coming back here was THE BIGGEST MISTAKE I EVER MADE! I've seen it a million times, people come here believing all the BS and hype they are putting out there in the magazines and such (just advertising-happy town, PLEASE!). And then, reality hits. Like me, I had money when I came back here (alot), now I'm broke and cannot EVER make the money I had back again. I am desparate! I know it's bad in FL, but it's always sucked here... nobody will pay you a living wage... people come here and get stuck... in hell... with a bunch of idiots that don't have a clue as to why you are sooooo frustrated and depressed when: you can't make enough money to live on, everything is rediculously high (hyped), everyone you meet lies to you, yor they're just idiots, you can't get anything done, they don't show up, even if you're going to pay them, the people are so anti-social you can't make any friends, and forget being single and trying to find a man with a brain, any testosterone, any life in them at all, or that you can have an intelligent conversation with even... OMG!!! I've actually prayed to die for the last couple years - no job for almost 2 years (never had a problem before in my life - I have two degrees, I'm bilingual English/Spanish, AND I have 20 years experience in Marketing, Advertising, Sales and Real Estate!). Add to that the insecure people on any min. wage job you might be lucky enough to get (yea, I said lucky) because you might have a little something more going for you than they do and, well, I've said it many times... I'd rather DIE than live (or whatever you want to call it) here for ONE MORE DAY! Because the truth for me is, you might as well be dead. I hope I've made myself clear about Asheville. I should know.
In Asheville way too long,
CS (PS If you know of any jobs in FL-email

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

CS in Asheville, North Carolina

35 months ago

Thank God! Finally ... a, "place" where people are telling the TRUTH ABOUT ASHEVILLE!!! I am a native of WNC, although I hate to admit it, but after living abroad for several years, coming back here was THE BIGGEST MISTAKE I EVER MADE! I've seen it a million times, people come here believing all the BS and hype they are putting out there in the magazines and such (just advertising-happy town, PLEASE!). And then, reality hits. Like me, I had money when I came back here (alot), now I'm broke and cannot EVER make the money I had back again. I am desparate! I know it's bad in FL, but it's always sucked here... nobody will pay you a living wage... people come here and get stuck... in hell... with a bunch of idiots that don't have a clue as to why you are sooooo frustrated and depressed when: you can't make enough money to live on, everything is rediculously high (hyped), everyone you meet lies to you, yor they're just idiots, you can't get anything done, they don't show up, even if you're going to pay them, the people are so anti-social you can't make any friends, and forget being single and trying to find a man with a brain, any testosterone, any life in them at all, or that you can have an intelligent conversation with even... OMG!!! I've actually prayed to die for the last couple years - no job for almost 2 years (never had a problem before in my life - I have two degrees, I'm bilingual English/Spanish, AND I have 20 years experience in Marketing, Advertising, Sales and Real Estate!). Add to that the insecure people on any min. wage job you might be lucky enough to get (yea, I said lucky) because you might have a little something more going for you than they do and, well, I've said it many times... I'd rather DIE than live (or whatever you want to call it) here for ONE MORE DAY! Because the truth for me is, you might as well be dead. I hope I've made myself clear about Asheville. I should know.
CS (PS If you know of any jobs in FL-email

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

CC in Asheville, North Carolina

35 months ago

CC (PS If you know of any jobs in FL-email

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Jadead in Culver City, California

35 months ago

You sound like you're going through exactly what I went through. Get in touch with me and let's talk if you're into it. Otherwise, all the best!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Tired of transplants complaining in Concord, North Carolina

35 months ago

I have been reading all these comments and want to ask people who are moving or have moved into Asheville what were your expectations? Were you all sitting in So. California, searching for a pretty or "cool"place to live, and figured since things weren't working out for you somewhere else, you could succeed in Asheville? (and how thought out was your idea to move 2,000 away? Asheville is just like any other city in the US (and perhaps the one you left). Unemployment is UP everywhere, manufacturing gone, what did you think Asheville was going to offer you in your life that you couldn't find, make or create anywhere else. I would suggest you all look in the mirror before you start blaming a town for the life you created. I don't even live in Asheville, but I do live in NC. Think about what you can bring to any city, location or job before you start complaining about what you are not GETTING.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (42) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

SK in Candler, North Carolina

34 months ago

Drivers here are terrible. I've been here for four years and it gets worse every time. Daily wrecks on the Smoky Park bridges and other spots. In NY we have respect for each other on the road and can stay civil in traffic. Not here. Asheville claims to be a green city - good luck finding a sidewalk, or even a shoulder, 90% of the time. Massive amounts of thug gangster wanna be teens and conceited hipsters populate the city. It's hard to make friends here, even if you are accepting and care-free. And of course, don't expect a job. Come to visit, but think twice about relocating.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

JJman in Lexington, North Carolina

33 months ago

You guys sound spoiled. You should try living in a broke town with no jobs, no good restaurants, and not just some, but all rednecks. Yay, we have $400 per month rent for clean apartments. You know why the rent is high? It's called demand. Try Davidson County, NC some time whiners.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

TuxMom in Miami Beach, Florida

32 months ago

I'm visiting this coming weekend with a thought of relocating as well. I'm in wellness industry. There definitely seem to be more negative people responding and I'm wondering, "is it because negative people like to complain about stuff and people happy there don't have time/desire"? Hoping to get a feel for the place this weekend when I visit. Any enlightenment will be appreciated. Luckily don't have to make any decisions right away, but am confused at all these negative threads? It looks awesome on paper: happiest place, most outdoorsey place, freakiest place, etc. If you go to Wikipedia it lists all the positives?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Landry in Asheville, North Carolina

30 months ago

In terms of social politics: It's very liberal, but economically it's got a large conservative streak as well. Don't work at Mission Hospital (my sister hates it there). The VA is hard to find work in, but the benefits are wonderful if you can. In terms of scenery and eatery, there is just so very much to do, visit, discover. I love it! I think it's worth the fight. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

lally7466 in Miami, Florida

30 months ago

Host said: Where did you come from? How did you move here? What would you do different now?

i have read all of the posts,looked at them from both sides, and decided alot of folks never gave asheville a chance.I have spent the last 3 years chasing my ex and my son from the dominican republic to miami with only the lawyers happy about it.I think your town with all of its different beliefs will welcome my Maine plates and my ex and my kids. and by the way whenb i fell for asheville,it was 99, durind my Thruhike of theAT so welcome me and I will be Forever Grateful.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Scarlet in Asheville, North Carolina

29 months ago

I live in North Asheville and it's awesome. I am a veteran so have lived in many different places and so far, this is the best. I am also a transplant from CA. I lived in SoCA not too long ago and paid twice the rent I pay here for the same size apartment. My husband had to work two low-paying jobs, while I worked another and we still didn't make enough money to pay the bills so I have no idea what the people from SoCA are complaining about.
This area is beautiful and if you don't think Asheville is diverse, you haven't been downtown much.
Sure there are places around town that are a bit sketchy but you will get that anywhere.
I just don't want people to be scared away from visiting or trying to make a life here. Most of the people I see posting are on the negative side (I'm not saying without their own reasons) and I believe it is because the happy people who live here simply do not take the time to post things like this...they are all outside enjoying the view and fresh air.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

carol in Bakersville, North Carolina

29 months ago

How does anyone get hired at Mission? I have 30 years experience, and have applied for multiple RN positions, and all I get is an email saying they chose someone else-and I am fully qualified for these jobs. They don't even let you talk to a real nurse recruiter-it's all done over the internet. I have always been hired immediatly at every nursing interview I have ever had, and I am totally amazed at the difficulty trying to get hired when jobs are posted! I was told it was such a great place to work. Anybody have a clue?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

slangjeans@ymail.com

29 months ago

I started this thread and I started it for all the wrong reasons. Asheville, NC is a great place to live. If you're moving there for whatever reason be prepared to do whatever it takes to make it work for you. Be positive, kind, friendly and always see the best there is there. Good things will come your way. Trust me, I wish I had. Gary Piano

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

nomatterwhereugo in Austin, Texas

29 months ago

I think towns that rely heavily on tourism for income will have a lot more PR going on than others, meaning, it will be hyped to the hilt to draw in visitors. I love the western NC mountains and have considered moving there but I imagine the negative posts here have a lot of truth having lived in another small town before in a conservative state. Like anywhere, it is what you make of it - you want friends? you have to go out and social. But also I agree that smaller college towns relying heavily on the "arts" will have drawbacks - no work, some crime, people upset that outsiders are coming. This is no different in any small town. I live in austin, tx and heard so much good about it too, but a lot of what people are saying here on this post could apply to austin as well. I hate it here. I am moving back to CO. Good luck all and thank you for the noes perspectives.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No Reply - Report abuse

Elana Santoro in Asheville, North Carolina

28 months ago

I have a lovely house in the mountains here in Western NC - and I love it! It couldn't be better! I have had no problem meeting people. I am associated with the arts, and find a thriving community of collegial people to hang with. I love the outdoor lifestyle, and find a thriving business community in my field. I can't say enough good about Asheville - yes, perhaps it is a "young" oriented area - but whether mid 20's (my age) or 50+, the young mindset would be appealing!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

28 months ago

PS I totally agree with Scarlet - it's like ANY forum - people who are negative tend to post. People who are not are busy and happy and not generally posting. It's like on amazon - the ratings are always skewed by the fact that if you have a complaint with a product you jump on and post -- but if you like a product, you rarely if ever do. I agree that in MY circle of friends, we all love it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

missmarymac in Rossville, Georgia

26 months ago

I am an single 51-year-old woman thinking of moving to Asheville. I just heard good things about it. I work from home (telecommute), so finding a job isn't necessary. :). My question is, what is the best area to live in? I will be coming up there to visit in a few weeks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mahalo in Colorado Springs, Colorado

26 months ago

jadead in Dickson, Tennessee said: usc as ub California, not Carolina. Glad to hear (not that this makes me happy but that I wasn't alone) that others see through this over-rated and over-hyped up town. I was almost embarrassed for Mission when they interviewed me for a position that I honestly was the perfect match for... compensation must have been addressed at least 15 times initiated each time by Mission. I answered appropriately and went into the there are other important factors I need/consider when interviewing... the director was in agreement mode. Meanwhile, they're trying to buy champagne on a beer budget. Now with a town that claims to have everything including God taking extra special care of them it literrally became a challenge to get up in the morning and generate interest once again from a town of people who didn't even have the professional courtesy to say thanks but no thanks. I was perpetually left in the dark. As far as grocery chains go Ingles beat out the top chains in profit. I know they give back to the community and this is great but create jobs! Then this "we don't want chains in here. Guess what folks, your third walmart is a major league retail chain. The city of Los Angeles fights them tooth and nail every time walmart campaigns to open a store in LA. In fact, the entire state of CA only has 53 walmarts and Asheville is building their third. Am I missing something about this or is it just me?

Actually there are 183 Walmarts in California.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

PZ in Candler, North Carolina

25 months ago

I've been in Asheville for three years, and plan to be leaving in the next 6 months. I agree with all the comments regarding why you shouldn't move here. I should have investigated more, so the fault is mine. The pay is terrible. Mission Hospital sucks in every way. Diverse opinion is not appreciated. If you can't get hired back at Mission, it's hard to find a health care job since Mission has monopolized everywhere. Finding a good medical doctor is hard, so I found myself going to a nearby bigger city for good health care. Trust me, despite the transplants from other areas, the thinking here is not liberal. To my regret, I bought a home here. It will go on the market, and I don't care if it sells, or not. I met so many transplants who are "stuck", as someone said, regretting they ever moved here. Trust me, don't buy the hype. If you like what you see as a tourist, investigate thoroughly before moving here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

25 months ago

You know, the problem with a board like this is that people reading it need to understand that every person has a different view of "their world" based on MANY things. Also, I think we all know that folks who are unhappy with something (whether it is an appliance from a local store, or a book on Amazon) will post more quickly than people who are happy with their purchase or surroundings. I too am a "transplant" and couldn't be happier. It's gorgeous here. People are amazingly nice and friendly. I don't need to have everyone around me be the same mindset in politics - so liberal or conservative is not a basis for my friendships, honestly. To each his own. If an employer is not to someone's liking, you look elsewhere. I have a great job, great friends, and find a zillion fun things to do. I love the area I came from -- and I love it here also. The beauty of the mountains, the small towns, hiking, rafting....So, sorry, I hear you, and I am really sorry you don't enjoy it here...but I surely do! So don't make snap judgements..."One man's trash is another man's treasure"... :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

PZ in Candler, North Carolina

25 months ago

I have a great job, great friends, and find a zillion fun things to do. I love the area I came from -- and I love it here also.

This very well sums up the problem--those who have are happy, those who don't are not so happy. This is the problem with every society. Please don't flaunt your assets to people who don't have them. The purpose of this thread is for people considering moving to asheville. Many of the comments made were not posted "quickly" as you said, but by people who have tried to make here, and not succeeded. The person-who-has-it-all shouldn't dismiss them. It seems as though you have posted too quickly. I hold my position that all persons wanting to move to Asheville, please research the area before you come.

So Elana, continue to enjoy your "zillion fun things to do" as you wander in other mens trash.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

25 months ago

Wow. :( I absolutely had no intention of "flaunting my assets". I was simply pointing out that each person views things differently and with varying perspectives. The area (Asheville and surroundings) is amazingly beautiful and offers many many things to do especially if you're into outdoorsy and active pursuits. Most of my friends - I have met here. I made a conscious decision to meet people, to find fun things to do, to join groups with like minded pursuits (biking, hiking, arts, etc.). I work hard, and enjoy my work. I did likewise in NYC or MD when I lived there. I'm really very sorry, but I don't necessarily think that because some people have "not made it here" that it is the fault of the area. Nor any one employer, nor the politics. Some people don't make it in NYC. Or St Louis. Asheville is NOT a panacea for the good life - it's hard work and effort as it is everywhere. I have been happy in varying degrees when I had a job, didn't have a job, had a significant other, didn't have a significant other, etc. Life is a gift and I try to enjoy each day to the fullest - anywhere.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

25 months ago

Might I also add - my apologies for using the word "quickly". If you read that statement in the context I meant it -- it would have been much more clear if I had said "People with negatives will be more likely to post" (And I mean this in the best way - they often want the "buyer to beware" as I assume you do). I did not mean to imply anyone posted comments that were anything less than well thought out and/or well considered - including my own. Thank you for your perspective on my reply.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Jennybean in Canton, North Carolina

25 months ago

I hate Asheville. I want to leave and agree with everyone that has posted their reasons for not moving here. I'm trying to leave now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Boomer in Asheville, North Carolina

24 months ago

Mona in Miami, Florida said: I have read most of the comments, including the last one. If people who have positive things to say do not feel the need to post them then that tells you a lot about the character of that person or people. When you care about something and you are a caring person you share it, so this says to me that people in Asheville are self-centered and maybe think the world revolves around them. I am a city girl and would never ever consider moving to a small town, and the mountains I can only handle on vacation. I am going for a vacation to Asheville this weekend and was very excited about it until I read this. Will feel sympathetic towards the people there as most seem very unhappy, but at least I will know why.

Hey Mona,

Don't be alarmed. Asheville is a tourist area so it attracts dreamers who pack it all in and head for the hills without a real plan ignorant of due diligence. It happens in Hawaii, Sedona, Lake Tahoe, etc. Reality kicks them in the pants then they blame the place because they didn't do their homework. If you noticed the posts from these disenfranchised folks, they're leaving Asheville. It's unfortunate their dreams did not materialize, for whatever reason. Asheville is a dynamic, diverse and tolerant place. It is incredibly beautiful and this weekend, you'll see fall colors starting to emerge. Safe travels...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Unix Brat in Asheville, North Carolina

24 months ago

There are pros and cons here, just like anywhere.

For those that were born and raised in the area, the sentiment can be "the less transplants the better." For the most part, this area is still getting used to developers coming in from other parts and destroying our land and traditions.

The end result has been uber-inflated housing prices and taxes. Destruction of natural habitat for our critters. More bears breaking into houses and into cars looking for food. And don't get me started on how much time I spend every week dealing with the erosion that threatens my house's foundation and construction runoff clogging my pond...I used to have fish that helped feed my family but no more.

Since working wages have not kept pace, poverty for locals grows.

Despite those issues, I love it here, love my community, this is home.

Honestly, if a transplant moves here and doesn't feel accepted, bear in mind that mountain folk were here first and figured out how to survive in harmony with the rugged terrain. But now we see it being destroyed by outsiders. Hence the cold shoulder.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Boomer in Asheville, North Carolina

24 months ago

Unix Brat in Asheville, North Carolina said: There are pros and cons here, just like anywhere.

For those that were born and raised in the area, the sentiment can be "the less transplants the better." For the most part, this area is still getting used to developers coming in from other parts and destroying our land and traditions.

The end result has been uber-inflated housing prices and taxes. Destruction of natural habitat for our critters. More bears breaking into houses and into cars looking for food. And don't get me started on how much time I spend every week dealing with the erosion that threatens my house's foundation and construction runoff clogging my pond...I used to have fish that helped feed my family but no more.

Since working wages have not kept pace, poverty for locals grows.

Despite those issues, I love it here, love my community, this is home.

Honestly, if a transplant moves here and doesn't feel accepted, bear in mind that mountain folk were here first and figured out how to survive in harmony with the rugged terrain. But now we see it being destroyed by outsiders. Hence the cold shoulder.

Actually, the Cherokee Indians were here first.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.