College Degree means....?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

Kenny in Smyrna, Georgia

39 months ago

I recently moved here from Massachusetts and received my degree in May 2011. I have been spent practically every waking minute job hunting, making connections and trying to reach out to get some type of entry level position. So far what I have learned is that a college degree does not mean as much as it use to. I can barely get looked at for jobs at restaurants and recently got contacted for a job that is in the food industry. I was extremely involved in student organizations on campus, participated in philanthropy projects and even managed groups. Am I doing something wrong?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

SuperMD in Holyoke, Massachusetts

39 months ago

What is your major in college?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

JTJ1977 in Davenport, Iowa

39 months ago

You're not doing anything wrong in paritcular. It's just the nature of the beast. You are living in an area that has one of the highest unemployment rates in the nation, roughly 10%, and the recession is hitting every city and state hard, save a few states in the Upper Midwest that most people wouldn't consider for relocation (including my homestate). Further complicating matters, you have a degree, but so what? It seems like EVERYONE has a minimum of a bachelor's degree in Atlanta.

I would continue networking if I were you, since that's probably your best bet for finding a job down there. Also, the Internal Revenue Service is hiring customer service calle center agents at their Chamblee office, with a starting wage of roughly $35,000/yr. You should check that out at the USAJOBS website. Hope that helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

JTJ1977 in Davenport, Iowa

39 months ago

You're not doing anything wrong in paritcular. It's just the nature of the beast. You are living in an area that has one of the highest unemployment rates in the nation, roughly 10%, and the recession is hitting every city and state hard, save a few states in the Upper Midwest that most people wouldn't consider for relocation (including my homestate). Further complicating matters, you have a degree, but so what? It seems like EVERYONE has a minimum of a bachelor's degree in Atlanta.

I would continue networking if I were you, since that's probably your best bet for finding a job down there. Also, the Internal Revenue Service is hiring customer service call center agents at their Chamblee office, with a starting wage of roughly $35,000/yr. You should check that out at the USAJOBS website. Hope that helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Stephanie in Marietta, Georgia

38 months ago

Hey! I fully agree. I have just relocated to the Atlanta area as well. The market here is very different from WI, where I'm from. I find that I am competing with 500,000 other college degree posessing individuals. It will take our time and patience. Be positive, continue to network. It's not you or your abilities that are holding you back. It is what it is. The right job will come. If you would like to look into a part- time opportuniy, I am looking for self-motivated individuals for my team. If interested in this opportunity email me at sj5thgrade@gmail.com. Also look into westathome.com. This is an online at home job I have worked for in the past, they are looking for operators in the Atlanta area. Depending on the contract you could potentially make $10-$22 per hour.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

35 months ago

Kenny in Smyrna, Georgia said: I recently moved here from Massachusetts and received my degree in May 2011. I have been spent practically every waking minute job hunting, making connections and trying to reach out to get some type of entry level position. So far what I have learned is that a college degree does not mean as much as it use to. I can barely get looked at for jobs at restaurants and recently got contacted for a job that is in the food industry. I was extremely involved in student organizations on campus, participated in philanthropy projects and even managed groups. Am I doing something wrong?

A college degree today is the equivalent of what a high school diploma was 25 years ago.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lucy in Atlanta, Georgia

34 months ago

Kenny in Smyrna, Georgia said: I recently moved here from Massachusetts and received my degree in May 2011. I have been spent practically every waking minute job hunting, making connections and trying to reach out to get some type of entry level position. So far what I have learned is that a college degree does not mean as much as it use to. I can barely get looked at for jobs at restaurants and recently got contacted for a job that is in the food industry. I was extremely involved in student organizations on campus, participated in philanthropy projects and even managed groups. Am I doing something wrong?

You are not but the place you are, has been the worse for employment since before the so-called recession. If you were not transferred out from MA to GA by an employer (like 70% the transplants here) or do not have a close friend or relative already in a position to benefit you, forget it. A lot of people will never admit it but there's a provincial mentality in the south that still prevails in Atlanta. That is to 'hook-up' friends and family. People born and raised in Atlanta will never admit to it, they do not even realize that was they got their little jobs... Sorry, just stating the facts. It will take you more than a while. Degrees are relative here and guarantee nothing. I had people with a Master's working side by side with HS grads.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.