Relocating to Atlanta from NY after being laid off

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

marie in Brooklyn, New York

65 months ago

My role as a Financial Analyst was eliminated and I was laid off this week. I received a severance package and can file for NYS unemployment, but I don’t think its wise to stay in the city since the cost of living is so high. I can't afford to stay in NYC without a job and risk spending all my severance and running out of unemployment before I find a job. I was with the company for exactly one year when I got the news. It hurt because prior to finding that role I was unemployed for 5 months and I'd used up all of my savings and charged alot of things on my credit card (I quit my prior job so no unemployment. This time around I have personal savings in addition to the severance and I have 0 debt. My thoughts are that its best to move to ATL since the cost of living is so cheap. I figure I could afford to be unemployed for up to a yr in Atlanta, but I definitely can’t do that in New York.

I've started applying for jobs in Atlanta using the address I plan to live at after I move, and from reading other posts about corporate culture and professionalism in GA, I'm very scared. I'm curious to know what the job market and corporate culture is truly like for Finance people in Atlanta and surrounding areas. I've been working in finance for 4yrs now (2 in investments and the other 2 as a financial analyst @fortune 500's). I consider myself to be very knowledgeable in my area and feel that my experience will help me to shine, but "at will employment" and the issues with corporate culture scare me. Does anyone have any experiences to share?

I'd also like to know what's the best way to move down...I have a few things I'd like to take with me (bed, love seat, tv, small kitchen table, and box with personal items). I've looked into renting a truck and driving down but the cheapest I can find is about $1000K...I definitely don't want to spend that much! I'm a savvy shopper and I'm hoping someone can help me find a cheap way to move down:)

Any insight on the job market for

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

You are silly in Brentwood, New York

42 months ago

$1000K = 1 million dollars.

Finance, you say?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

PRT in Augusta, Georgia

42 months ago

GA job market sucks! Unemployment in GA is 9%. Housing in Atlanta is NOT cheap. Apartmens in downtown are $1000/month and higher for cheap dumps. IF you are willing to commute you can find places in the suburbs for $600-800...BUT....be advised that mass trasnit in ATL is non-existant. MARTA is a joke and won't get you outside the I-285 loop. You would be smart to look somehwere else for work tha Atlanta.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

estevenson0@yahoo.com in Jacksonville, Florida

42 months ago

marie in Brooklyn, New York said: My role as a Financial Analyst was eliminated and I was laid off this week. I received a severance package and can file for NYS unemployment, but I don’t think its wise to stay in the city since the cost of living is so high. I can't afford to stay in NYC without a job and risk spending all my severance and running out of unemployment before I find a job. I was with the company for exactly one year when I got the news. It hurt because prior to finding that role I was unemployed for 5 months and I'd used up all of my savings and charged alot of things on my credit card (I quit my prior job so no unemployment. This time around I have personal savings in addition to the severance and I have 0 debt. My thoughts are that its best to move to ATL since the cost of living is so cheap. I figure I could afford to be unemployed for up to a yr in Atlanta, but I definitely can’t do that in New York.

I've started applying for jobs in Atlanta using the address I plan to live at after I move, and from reading other posts about corporate culture and professionalism in GA, I'm very scared. I'm curious to know what the job market and corporate culture is truly like for Finance people in Atlanta and surrounding areas. I've been working in finance for 4yrs now (2 in investments and the other 2 as a financial analyst @fortune 500's). I consider myself to be very knowledgeable in my area and feel that my experience will help me to shine, but "at will employment" and the issues with corporate culture scare me. Does anyone have any experiences to share?

I'd also like to know what's the best way to move down...I have a few things I'd like to take with me (bed, love seat, tv, small kitchen table, and box with personal items). I've looked into renting a truck and driving down but the cheapest I can find is about $1000K...I definitely don't want to spend that much! I'm a savvy shopper and I'm hoping someone can help me find a cheap way to move down

estevenson0@yahoo.com in Jacksonville, Florida

42 months ago

marie in Brooklyn, New York said: My role as a Financial Analyst was eliminated and I was laid off this week. I received a severance package and can file for NYS unemployment, but I don’t think its wise to stay in the city since the cost of living is so high. I can't afford to stay in NYC without a job and risk spending all my severance and running out of unemployment before I find a job. I was with the company for exactly one year when I got the news. It hurt because prior to finding that role I was unemployed for 5 months and I'd used up all of my savings and charged alot of things on my credit card (I quit my prior job so no unemployment. This time around I have personal savings in addition to the severance and I have 0 debt. My thoughts are that its best to move to ATL since the cost of living is so cheap. I figure I could afford to be unemployed for up to a yr in Atlanta, but I definitely can’t do that in New York.

I'd also like to know what's the best way to move down...I have a few things I'd like to take with me (bed, love seat, tv, small kitchen table, and box with personal items). I've looked into renting a truck and driving down but the cheapest I can find is about $1000K...I definitely don't want to spend that much! I'm a savvy shopper and I'm hoping someone can help me find a cheap way to move dow

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Haboub in Decatur, Georgia

27 months ago

Janice Aquino in Norfolk, Virginia said: Hi Marie,
I want to know how your job search was when you moved to Atlanta.
My husband and I are considering of moving to atlanta next summer. any insightful info will be appreciated thanks :)

Don't do it the job market is awful here . Unemployment is horrible no jobs

Janice Aquino in Norfolk, Virginia

27 months ago

I moved from Va to Seattle. Then we wanted to move back east closer to family. Our ideal 2nd choice is Austin.
Thank you for the helpful info.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Tanya Mahboob in Yonkers, New York

4 months ago

Hi, I was also impacted by a laid off and thought moving to Atlanta would be the best thing. Just like you I was assuming living in a low cost of living state would be the answer. I moved here with a package too and have been living off of it while looking for a job for roughly 3 months. I'm now entering into unemployment eligibility where I have another 6 months to look. Okay, firstly I learnt that location where you live is very important. I was told that as long I live on the MARTA line (Atlanta's transportation system) I sure be able to get around to most jobs. The problem is most of those jobs in the metro areas are not available. Now there's places north of Atlanta that you may find jobs, but you need to have a car to get to them. There was a job exactly 11 mins from where I lived if I had a car. Since I don't it would take me 2 hours to get to the nearest stop and then I would need to walk 2.5 miles to the location because there's no buses that stop directly in front or near. This is depressing with a lot of companies I was thinking to apply with. The next important thing you should know is the cheaper areas to live. I live in one and although it's beautiful with so many amenities, the culture of the people may not be so welcoming or safe. I know in NY, we have our crimes going on, but the most scariest things are the home evasions, where innocent people (women, children, elderly) are murdered. Because this is a state where you can carry guns, people can shoot you and say they felt threaten for any reason...sad if you happen to look at someone and they perceive you as "ice grilling" them. As far as moving your things, I would suggest renting a u-haul or budget truck. These moving companies are a rip off! I wasted 15,000 paying a moving company that did not take all of my things and delivered my stuff to the gate only. Me and my son had to get it to our unit or paid extra money because the driver didn't want to go in front of my house.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tanya Mahboob in Yonkers, New York

4 months ago

Sorry, I meant 1,500 is what I paid the moving company. If I don't find a job by September, I'm packing up and moving back to NY. I will stay with family until I find another job. It's because I feel comfortable living in a place where I know people and the system rather being in a place with I don't.

Please be careful if you move to Atlanta, as mentioned the culture is very different. The most thing I fear here is safety. The second is finding a decent job that promotes good employee morale. My son started a part-time job, and he said the people there are miserable. He said everyone cuts each other's throat including the management. Not good attitude to promote to new hires, and people from other states that are new to GA. Good luck with your move if you decide to come down. Just wanted to give my 2 cents since I made the same decision that you are thinking to make.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.