indirect racisim

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (25)

leonard d belton III in Augusta, Georgia

88 months ago

I was working previously, for a bar and grill in augusta,when first hired I was pleased and happy to be there and part of a team that really appreciated me being there at least thats what I thought in the begining.after almost three months working there things started to change.you see Iam a 51 year old afro-american male who has been in the food industry over 30 years though I always tried to over look the racisim that still some of us still enconter.I over heard one the managers using the n word in refference to blacks.Right away he was sorry for using the slur in my present but not because he said it.I reported it to the general manager for the company but no action was taken against this manager.from that point on I have been singled out watched on video monitor accused eating a hamburger while on duty and not paying for it but the white bartenders can come in the kitchen get what they want eat it without paying for and on video monitor and no action taken against them but for me I was terminated.and sufferring hardships because of losing my position.if what I discribed is not racisim what is it? and what can I do to bring racisim practices used still by some employers?to light in effort to it not happening to other afro americans who have a right to work in this country as well as white,s do

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Charlie in Norcross, Georgia

88 months ago

leonard d belton III in Augusta, Georgia said: I over heard one the managers using the n word in refference to blacks.Right away he was sorry for using the slur in my present but not because he said it.

There is your problem right there. You say the person used the slur but realised his mistake and apologized to you immediately. That should have been the end of it. He showed you proper respect.

You say the person was sorry for using the term in your presence but not sorry he had used it. There is no way you can know that. In essence you didn't accept the apology and by reporting it to other management you might as well have hung a sign on your back that said, "Hey I am out to cause trouble because of a racial slight." You were doomed from that point on.

Would it give you any satisfaction if I said you have permission to call me a white honky once in retaliation? It is a word. Forget it as long as you don't have to listen to it every day.

I did a similar thing once. I was telling about a business deal and said that I had managed to "jew the guy down a few hundred dollars." I simply forgot I was talking to a Jewish friend of mine. I apologized and that was the end of it.

Don't perpetuate the hate. You should know that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (24) Reply - Report abuse

NETTE in San Jose, California

78 months ago

Charlie in Norcross, Georgia said: There is your problem right there. You say the person used the slur but realised his mistake and apologized to you immediately. That should have been the end of it. He showed you proper respect.

You say the person was sorry for using the term in your presence but not sorry he had used it. There is no way you can know that. In essence you didn't accept the apology and by reporting it to other management you might as well have hung a sign on your back that said, "Hey I am out to cause trouble because of a racial slight." You were doomed from that point on.

Would it give you any satisfaction if I said you have permission to call me a white honky once in retaliation? It is a word. Forget it as long as you don't have to listen to it every day.

I did a similar thing once. I was telling about a business deal and said that I had managed to "jew the guy down a few hundred dollars." I simply forgot I was talking to a Jewish friend of mine. I apologized and that was the end of it.

Wow this must be coming from a prejudice ignorant white male! 'Cause in case your parents didnt teach you, proper respect it would of been not to say it all

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jt in Japan

78 months ago

Yeah...just like Jesse Jackson, right? Please...if African Americans (which I'm told recently by a black co-worker that they hate that term; whites are not called European Americans) do not want the "N" word used, they must stop using it themselves.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

D in Augusta, GA in Charleston, West Virginia

76 months ago

Man keep your head up!
People are so insensitive to issues concerning race. In my opinion, It is the responsibility of leadership to train employees that have recorded incidents of these kinds. Accepting his apology was the first stage, the second is to report it!
The words you use is the gauge of your heart condition. Some people hearts are without love and understanding. Don't use the excuse," If they can say it, then, I can too....." Be Better than that

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

cd in Hephzibah, Georgia

76 months ago

if one person cant use the n word, no one should be able to use it.I think if a white person say the n word, and a black person say the n word its all the same. so dont give me that, saiding that he use it in a diff way.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

C Un Augusta GA in Augusta, Georgia

76 months ago

You did the right thing by reporting the incident to the general manager. It is unfortunate that you have suffered because you refused to tolerate this kind of behavior. Using the N word is never appropriate even if an African American says it. However, white people know the word is offensive to black people even is closed company. You have every right to be angry. I believe you should take this matter further if you were terminated unjustly.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Julie in West Jordan, Utah

76 months ago

Charlie in Norcross Georgia is absolutely correct. The rest of you are trying to support a trouble maker.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Disgusted in Dalton, Georgia

74 months ago

I can't believe that people still think an apology can erase or eliminate the fact that they are racist. It's not just that you say the word it's the meaning behind it. White people shouldn't say this word, black people shouldn't say this word. However for black america this word has a different meaning behind it. If used to degrade or to stereotype it is a powerfal negative force. I belive this man was unrightfully terminated, I believe he isn't the only person of color eho has gone thru or will go thru the same. unfortunatley white america only thinks it's a problem if it affects them...thank God it's our time now!!
CONGRATS OBAMA AND FIRST LADY MICHELLE OBAMA

lo_leta333 in Warrenville, South Carolina

72 months ago

Disgusted in Dalton, Georgia said: I can't believe that people still think an apology can erase or eliminate the fact that they are racist. It's not just that you say the word it's the meaning behind it. White people shouldn't say this word, black people shouldn't say this word. However for black america this word has a different meaning behind it. If used to degrade or to stereotype it is a powerfal negative force. I belive this man was unrightfully terminated, I believe he isn't the only person of color eho has gone thru or will go thru the same. unfortunatley white america only thinks it's a problem if it affects them...thank God it's our time now!!
CONGRATS OBAMA AND FIRST LADY MICHELLE OBAMA

To all beautiful Black people, we will never win this battle of dealing with racist people. The ones that are racist plan to take this sickness to their graves and only The King of Kings which is JESUS will be able to set them straight forever and ever, in the mean time Remember, the battle is not yours it's God's. I know all my Beautiful black people are sick and tired. My advice is to pray and pray a little harder and ask God to help you endure until he changes things. Just beleive change is going to come. God is coming to stop all these evil acts against his children once and for all. Keep your head up and be strong.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Julie in Salt Lake City, Utah

72 months ago

lo_leta333 in Warrenville, South Carolina said: To all beautiful Black people, we will never win this battle of dealing with racist people. The ones that are racist plan to take this sickness to their graves and only The King of Kings which is JESUS will be able to set them straight forever and ever, in the mean time Remember, the battle is not yours it's God's. I know all my Beautiful black people are sick and tired. My advice is to pray and pray a little harder and ask God to help you endure until he changes things. Just beleive change is going to come. God is coming to stop all these evil acts against his children once and for all. Keep your head up and be strong.

Dear person who wrote this, just a little hint, Every human being on earth are His children. He made us all, with all the differences He gave us. The fact that you believe only black people are God's people show you to be a BIG racist.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Stormcrow in Augusta, Georgia

69 months ago

jt in Japan said: Yeah...just like Jesse Jackson, right? Please...if African Americans (which I'm told recently by a black co-worker that they hate that term; whites are not called European Americans) do not want the "N" word used, they must stop using it themselves.

Actually, the term is Black according to APA, since it was considered offensive to Africans for Blacks to call themselves African-Americans when they did not come from Africa, especially quite a few generations.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Weha

68 months ago

Many that believe are being affect by racism, when it might be people of all color don't like them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Minor in Smyrna, Georgia

64 months ago

First of all, it's hard to see or understand a person if you haven't walked in his/her shoe. BUT...discrimination/racism is everywhere in every country. It's pure ignorance and we as people should be above and beyond ignorance and be more open-minded and consider a person's personality. Yeah...maybe you had some bad experiences with certain races but it doesn't mean they're all the same. Just think...if you were the minority how would you act. If you were the majority, how would you act. Knowledge is power and if we all would just educate ourselves about the different races and personalities then we might find a better world we can all live in.There's enough mischief in this world...we don't need anymore.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

bid c in Augusta, Georgia

63 months ago

leonard d belton III in Augusta, Georgia said: I was working previously, for a bar and grill in augusta,when first hired I was pleased and happy to be there and part of a team that really appreciated me being there at least thats what I thought in the begining.after almost three months working there things started to change.you see Iam a 51 year old afro-american male who has been in the food industry over 30 years though I always tried to over look the racisim that still some of us still enconter.I over heard one the managers using the n word in refference to blacks.Right away he was sorry for using the slur in my present but not because he said it.I reported it to the general manager for the company but no action was taken against this manager.from that point on I have been singled out watched on video monitor accused eating a hamburger while on duty and not paying for it but the white bartenders can come in the kitchen get what they want eat it without paying for and on video monitor and no action taken against them but for me I was terminated.and sufferring hardships because of losing my position.if what I discribed is not racisim what is it? and what can I do to bring racisim practices used still by some employers?to light in effort to it not happening to other afro americans who have a right to work in this country as well as white,s do

I spent over 20 years in the military and I've seen racisim from blacks,whites,hispanic's,and also from other nationalities in my extensive travel in the military. I've come to realize that people of different races will discriminate against other races because they're different.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

bid c in Augusta, Georgia

63 months ago

I was raised up in a small town and my mother was full blooded Cherokee indian and my father was full blooded Irish, even thou I looked white,but still the other kids at school use to try to give me a hard time but I was a fighter and took care of buissness. But from then on I was ostrosized and shunned in a vauge since because they feared me, just because I was a half breed. I know from a personnel experince how it feels,and i realized no matter what race you are there will be discrimination from other races just because you are different.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Cath in Augusta, Georgia

57 months ago

Julie in Salt Lake City, Utah said: Dear person who wrote this, just a little hint, Every human being on earth are His children. He made us all, with all the differences He gave us. The fact that you believe only black people are God's people show you to be a BIG racist.

That is not what they meant only that is thee only one that loves "unconditionally" DUH!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Tom in Norco, California

55 months ago

Julie in Salt Lake City, Utah said: Dear person who wrote this, just a little hint, Every human being on earth are His children. He made us all, with all the differences He gave us. The fact that you believe only black people are God's people show you to be a BIG racist.

The person who wrote that doesn't mean only Blacks are Gods people. You drew that conclusion all by yourself. They were making reference to Gods people and it just so happen to be a topic about how black people are discriminated. The comment was for people of color/black who are discriminated. Read it carefully, QUOTE: "God is coming to stop all these evil acts against his children once and for all." This comment is directed to those oppressed from the evil acts of others, focusing on Gods black people (not meaning they are his only people) specifically to give them hope. Even now in 2010 they are the most oppressed racial group amongst many others despite what anyone says.

bricelynn in Washington, Georgia

54 months ago

Charlie in Norcross, Georgia said: There is your problem right there. You say the person used the slur but realised his mistake and apologized to you immediately. That should have been the end of it. He showed you proper respect.

Charlie, you do not know how the "JEW" is taking your comment.Just as the guy in the article, people will smile in your face and "CUT" you up behind your back.
See, thats just it! White people are getting out of control! Every day I witness "BLACKLASH" new word, for HONKY"S, hating blacks.Have you stop to think,"The president of the United States is BLACK", no one white person wants to see or hear this.
God said love your negibhors.
What president you know has been so disresecpted in "YOUR", life.
When White people stop, then black people will stop!

Melissa in Peoria, Illinois

50 months ago

Wow...I'm kinda shocked at the responses to this comment! I am a white female from Illinois, where I live, it's pretty much an equal mix of black and white people. I can't imagine hearing the "n" word in such a case, and an apology doesn't really change anything! For someone to use that word in front of ANYONE is straight up disrespect. This is 2010, not the 50's. I have 3 mixed (black/white) children, and we are planning to move to Augusta at the beginning of the year. I am afraid of the racial aspect in the south, because where I'm from, its so common for blacks and whites to be together, is it not like this in Augusta?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

GodbetheGlory! in Augusta, Georgia

40 months ago

I may not be understanding this right, but are the other comments stating that all is needed is an apology, because that is unacceptable, he/she should have been terminated, this is why racial issues continue because nothing is done about it. I can't believe that were still sweeping this under the carpet. For the one this was said to, you should have started to look for other employment, because more then likely they would have done just what they did, especially when these issues arise. Shame on this employer (SMH).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

butler190@juno.com in Summerville, South Carolina

39 months ago

I feel that there could I been some type of racism or prejudice going on in the place you worked at. Although, I was not there to see or hear it, I'll take your word for it. If you really had been fired and not written-up like the rest of the people who have eaten food at work and didn't pay for it, if that's what happened to them, well, then I would have used my chain of commands to report this to management or someone over whoever fired you. Then i would have found a good lawyer that is not scared to take my case, so I would have looked for an African-American lawyer, probably, in the Atlanta Area.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Two Cents worth in Augusta, Georgia

33 months ago

I have experienced a similar situation in a professional setting where I was subjected to offensive comments pertaining to my wife by the president of the company. I would like to clarify that I am not mentioning the fact that I was working in a professional setting to belittle or degrade your position, but only to point out that professionals in an executive position should be held to a higher standard than line workers. I don't want to muddy the water with this nuance, but I did want to explain my intent of the comment. What I learned from this is that regardless or "race", which is a social stigma based solely on differences in pigmentation of skin and facial bone structure and has no merit in science. I actually have more in common (I am white) with many North-Eastern Africans than I do with people within my race and geography. It is the unfortunate reality that most often in the work-place you are exposed to more prejudices than in any aspect of your life. I can speak from personal experience that the only person that you hurt by harboring resentment is yourself. To quote from the good book; "he who angers you controls you." I allowed my anger and hurt to fester to the point that I wound up losing my position, but not for any other reason than I was constantly resentful and thought that I was constantly under increased scrutiny. The best way that I can describe this clearer is that we all of have either worked with or know someone that despite their circumstance always seem to have a positive attitude and see the good in people even when that good is hard to find, and in my experience that positive energy is contagious. Conversely negative energy has the same effect. If could go back in time I would have spoken to my supervisor just like you did and really opened up about how and why I was offended and left it at that. God Bless

priscler in Yuma, Arizona

32 months ago

leonard d belton III in Augusta, Georgia said: I was working previously, for a bar and grill in augusta,when first hired I was pleased and happy to be there and part of a team that really appreciated me being there at least thats what I thought in the begining.after almost three months working there things started to change.you see Iam a 51 year old afro-american male who has been in the food industry over 30 years though I always tried to over look the racisim that still some of us still enconter.I over heard one the managers using the n word in refference to blacks.Right away he was sorry for using the slur in my present but not because he said it.I reported it to the general manager for the company but no action was taken against this manager.from that point on I have been singled out watched on video monitor accused eating a hamburger while on duty and not paying for it but the white bartenders can come in the kitchen get what they want eat it without paying for and on video monitor and no action taken against them but for me I was terminated.and sufferring hardships because of losing my position.if what I discribed is not racisim what is it? and what can I do to bring racisim practices used still by some employers?to light in effort to it not happening to other afro americans who have a right to work in this country as well as white,s do

I dont think this is a racial thing due to your termination. Yes, it was racism about the N comment. I strongly believe that you were fired due to a vicious act of revenge. Since you took action against a manager, it just backfired you instead. With this economy, people are taking advantage of treating people like crap and firing them. It sucks. I hope you have a job by now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Niecyj in Augusta, Georgia

23 months ago

No one is perpetuating the hate. It is what it is. I feel that he should have left after he heard the comment. You don't get too much justice when working around white people anyway. If a white person was called "white honky" he would report it immediately. It is so sad to work around people that still carry around hatred because of the color of one's skin. My theory is they really hate themselves.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.