Austin Hiring criteria becoming rediculous?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (16)

Zoneater in Austin, Texas

68 months ago

Like many of you, most likely, I'm a recent laid-off worker. I worked only a year in my new position, attempting to build experience, as my prior experience was in an industry I wasn't interested in returning to.

Now, having been unemployed for a few months now, I'm finding that the same jobs I had a chance at previously are completely unattainable...why? Because employers hiring criteria has become so specified that someone like myself, who doesn't have the new "2-5 years experience" threshold can't find employment in the same industry I was just laid off from.

Has anyone else been frustrated with this? I realize employers have the pick of the litter now, so to speak, but it seems as though they're no longer hiring to train or are interested in building a new employee up. They want all the experience and ability on the front end.

Just frustrated because I have hit brick wall after brick wall.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mark Meandro in Austin, Texas

67 months ago

Zoneater in Austin, Texas said: Like many of you, most likely, I'm a recent laid-off worker. I worked only a year in my new position, attempting to build experience, as my prior experience was in an industry I wasn't interested in returning to.

Now, having been unemployed for a few months now, I'm finding that the same jobs I had a chance at previously are completely unattainable...why? Because employers hiring criteria has become so specified that someone like myself, who doesn't have the new "2-5 years experience" threshold can't find employment in the same industry I was just laid off from.

Has anyone else been frustrated with this? I realize employers have the pick of the litter now, so to speak, but it seems as though they're no longer hiring to train or are interested in building a new employee up. They want all the experience and ability on the front end.

I like the part about 8 years of VB.net experience. Or 10 years of XML. or 15 in java... do these recruiters even know when these things were created? unless you worked at Sun or your including your SMGL experience as a type setter you "dont have it" and your only hiring liers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

jessica21 in Houston, Texas

67 months ago

Zoneater in Austin, Texas said: Like many of you, most likely, I'm a recent laid-off worker. I worked only a year in my new position, attempting to build experience, as my prior experience was in an industry I wasn't interested in returning to.

Go Green www.candleswelove.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

Jimbo in Round Rock, Texas

67 months ago

It is interesting that some hiring managers, or their filters, talk about requiring knowledge of some particular theory of learning but fail even to complete the projects they manage. They should focus on results and individuals who actually have a record of success and completing assignments, on time and on budget. Those people would add value to the hring manager. Networking with people who actually know your capability is best.
The others are not good managers. All they can do is cling to the theories as a crutch because they cannot actually articulate the skill they want to hire. Actually, some of the things they speak about have been around for many years but were called something else earlier (i.e. Juran on Quality, Deming, Toyota, Six Sigma, ADDIE, and on and on.) Their focus on these processes shows a lack of understanding of basic project management tenants that have existed for many years.
Although it is difficult, keep plowing ahead.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

JR in Austin, Texas

67 months ago

As far as i remember my situation with AppleOne. In the past i had registered with AppleOne. My recruiter was David Romero. I had taken an assesment test. After that i called my recruiter to get the results and to find out how advanced the tests were. Prior to taking the test, i had told him that my software knowledge was basic. I could not get a strait answer from him about that. I read in his e mail that there would be some job openings over at Dell in Round Rock and to let him know what other fields i would have interest in. The e-mail also noted that my testing scores were below national average. That was around the date of September 13, 2006. I beleive that i told him what positions i would be available for and i do remember him telling me that he would follow up with me to give me a call on a certain day. He would never call me on the day that he said he would. That let me know that this man was being dishonest with me. So i requested to speak with the supervisor to give her my complaint and to get a strait answer. She finnally told me about the status of my testing and about the company policy etc. Then as i went to complain about how the recruiter was not being truthful she started to disagree with me saying that i was being difficult to work with. I did try to explain my situation but the supervisor did not seem to care about it and was very bias towards me. Other days she would get rude and short with me over the phone. So finnally i had spoken with her supervisor named Jan but she had received a note from Tiffany about how i was being irate and making threats over the phone. So Jan who is the corporate supervisor with the AppleOne human resources department just went with the lie that Tiffany had created against me. I even tried to call recently around 08/2007 to reason or get a understanding with Tiffany but she just told me ' We can not speak with you on a branch level'. I also made contact with her supervisor Jan but she still would not listen to my si

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

Zoneater in Austin, Texas

67 months ago

AppleOne is terrible. I had a "recruiter" from there basically drop off the face of the earth when she didn't think I was the type of client she wanted to work with due to my mixed experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tom in Manor, Texas

66 months ago

Just frustrated because I have hit brick wall. . .

I feel the same way. I was laid off in the technology sector a few years ago, and went back to school. I'm still having a tough time finding employment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

msmith62 in na, California

65 months ago

Ive experienced the same with Apple One. Ive been out of full time work due to a family situation and because I had no recent experience in the last 6 months they would not even consider me. I have a 20 year administrative/clerical background and am familiar with most of the software used today but I am considered unemployable by them. Great if you are or were for example a SAHM and are looking to re-enter the workforce dont go to them or just read some of the reviews posted by the majority here.

BTW I have applied there many times in my home state of CA (one office was just around the corner from where I lived. The only ''job'' they sent me out for was a outbound call center for one day that ended up dismissing half the people they signed or decided to do a one day screen to see if we could produce results. GREAT JOB huh? After all who wouldn't want interrupt their busy day and listen to a telemarketer trying to sell window treatments over the phone?

I agree they just take your personal information and use it for leads. I cant take going in there for the tenth time and watching their stupid videos on how to conduct or dress oneself in the workplace.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Wondering why makin money is t in Austin, Texas

65 months ago

I have noticed that employers are asking for one person to perform the work of several now. It seems they call this "productivity".

Either they layoff three people and keep one to do the work of all four, or they want to hire one person who has the skills of four different professionals so they can stretch that person.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Andy Adolph in Austin, Texas

57 months ago

I heartily agree with you and I blame not Obama and his people but the previous Bush group for starting this stupid war and for giving even more power to the rich...who are not suffering now like the rest of us. Be as much at peace as you can be and keep trying. Bless you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

lobos in Hartsdale, New York

56 months ago

FILE a complaint to the better business bureau. And you will see heads rolling.

Document everthing !!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

lobos in Hartsdale, New York

56 months ago

Zoneater in Austin, Texas said: AppleOne is terrible. I had a "recruiter" from there basically drop off the face of the earth when she didn't think I was the type of client she wanted to work with due to my mixed experience.

I am not surprise .I keep screamming file a complaint to BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU.!! see you all there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Austin, Texas

55 months ago

You misspelled ridiculous....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Dannythedog in Farmington, Connecticut

53 months ago

I don't mean to be unkind, and this is not to say that you all have had problems with Apple One! I also understand that we all use different grammar and shortcuts when e-mailing that we would not use in business correspondence. That being said, if I received a resume or any business correspondence with the words "straight" or "believe" misspelled, I wouldn't dream of hiring you or, in the case of a recruiter, recommending you to my client.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Chandra99 in Austin, Texas

52 months ago

Yes, I've been searching for months and am shocked to see how job-specific (e.g., must be 5 years)employers are today. It's frightening !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Puffheads in Austin, Texas

33 months ago

Dannythedog in Farmington, Connecticut said: I don't mean to be unkind, and this is not to say that you all have had problems with Apple One! I also understand that we all use different grammar and shortcuts when e-mailing that we would not use in business correspondence. That being said, if I received a resume or any business correspondence with the words "straight" or "believe" misspelled, I wouldn't dream of hiring you or, in the case of a recruiter, recommending you to my client.

I thought the same thing when I read through all of this string. If you KNOW you are weak in spelling, then for goodness sake, type your comment in Word so it can tell you where your mistakes are!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.