e.magination discussion

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 51)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

NoneYa in Laurel, Maryland

67 months ago

Totally agree with each and everything in this post. Unfortunately, I was subjected to the same misery and broken promises, time and time again. Unrealistic expectations, inability to manage client needs, and all around back stabbing from a couple of members of the tech council made my life at emag quite unpleasant. Though I learned a lot of valuable lessons from some awesome colleagues of mine (most of which are also gone), I would never recommend e.magination to anybody. Either as a client or as an employee.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

TrafalgarSq in Baltimore, Maryland

67 months ago

I totally agree with you guys. With a ceo who is not at all focused on the business and an egoistic Tech council, this company is going down bad. Also nothing was done to bring in revenue or retain existing clients. This company has no sales team! Add to that a micro-managing VP of Development Center and you a recipe for repulsion and mass exodus.

Avoid at all costs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

UsedEmployee in Gaithersburg, Maryland

67 months ago

I am so glad that I had the opportunity to read
this, today and I truly hope that the message
gets out to other job seekers in the industry
because nobody deserves the level of blatent
disrespect and disreguard for ones personal time.

During my lifetime at e.magination, I saw some
extraordinary people come and go. Each of them
came in with the same high level of expectation
that I once had, and it was sad to watch as their
ideas and morals were quickly crushed by the
senior staff, which had the tendency to promote
all of the wrong people to senior level roles.

Working at e.magination, you can expect long hours
(50-60 hour work weeks), frustrated clientel, and
a plethora of other buffoonery.

Highly recommend that you seek employment elsewhere.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Me in Columbia, Maryland

67 months ago

Who are you people? We need to get ourselves to City Limits and have some beer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Quit_bcozof_frustration in Phoenix, Arizona

67 months ago

They might be some of the countless people (we know how many got fired in past 1 ? 2 years) who got unreasonably fired for managements inability/stupidity or people who left e.magination out of frustration.

Me in Columbia, Maryland said: Who are you people? We need to get ourselves to City Limits and have some beer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Quit_bcozof_frustration in Phoenix, Arizona

67 months ago

Well Said!!! Please spread the word and save other developers.

I had to quit e.magination within a month. e.magination is by far the worst company I have EVER worked for in my 20+ years of work experience. Other than the management I felt their Replicon TimeSheet System as the worst part of the job, their projects are so short term (usually couple of hours to 2 months) it was impossible to be 100% billable but management demands you to be 100% billable.

[QUOTE <Edited by Host: quote removed>

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

NotGoingToSay in Laurel, Maryland

67 months ago

I really can't agree more. Thank you for posting this. Your post pretty much says it all and I have nothing to add except my experience has been the same as most of you. I've moved on now and I'm glad I did.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Shaun Gallagher in Littleton, Colorado

67 months ago

Part 1
It never ceases to amaze me how certain individuals choose to be offended by a company or a leader who asks to get a return on their investment, and yes, an employee is an in investment and a cost, a company must get a return on in order to survive.

Individuals with character traits who believe they should be compensated for 100% billable hours but not responsible for their billable hours are typical of the burgeoning "Entitlement Class". These are the types of employees who say, "That's not my job"! These are the types of employees who believe Government and the Employer should pay their Health Care costs and refuse to acknowledge it is a cost and an investment that needs to get a return on.

To be clear:
- It is every employee's job to convey the Value it creates to it's Customer! That is Selling and everything starts with a Sale!
- It is every employee's job to understand how he/she creates value for the Customer!
- It is every employee's job to understand how the Company profits from the Value the Employee creates for the Customer!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (25) Reply - Report abuse

Shaun Gallagher in Littleton, Colorado

67 months ago

Part 2

The "Entitlement" mindset is consistent with the employee a Company can NOT get a return on. It is a defense mechanism on not facing one's self. A "Producer" would never post a disparaging remark to a Person or Company that has been his sole income for several years!

A Producer would take his/her skills and be hired by a competitor and better compensated for his/her move. He/she would also be thankful for his/her experience and knowledge gained form his/her previous Employer to create this new and more profitable employment opportunity!

In Contrast, a "Looter" would be offended he/she was measured, resentful for being held accountable and bitter for being exposed. He/she would seek to hurt his former Employer any way he/she could (like posting here) instead of taking all of his/her incredibly marketable skills and improve his/her income as the world beats down his/her door with job offers.

I have had the pleasure of being an e-magination Customer and couldn?t be more impressed with the professionalism and competence and Value they offer, from my vantage point it appears the ?Producers? have stayed with the Company.

I have also known e-magination?s CEO for almost fifteen years and never have I met a more honorable, higher integrity person in my life and I consider it an honor to call him friend.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (25) Reply - Report abuse

muchHappier in Columbia, Maryland

67 months ago

Shaun, I believe that your statements are indicative of a personal relationship with the CEO. He may be a great friend and I certainly haven't heard one person mention him as bad person. Clearly he is not very good at retaining a staff of content individuals.

As for your producer and looter argument I can see your point, but again think you fail to see the forest from the trees. Many of the individuals who have left or been let go from e.magination were never given the opportunity to produce. A company cannot promise clients the sky while failing to provide workers with necessary tools and infrastructure to get the work done.

Many of the individuals whom have left e.magination have gone to be stellar producers at companies that nurture their skills and appreciate their professional expertise. It IS a company's responsibility to have knowledge of the methodologies to produce their products, and to understand that stability of applying consistent approaches to projects pay dividends. Deriving your companies "process" in an ad hock manor, and failing to learn from mistakes weakens the effectiveness of everyone in the company.

The CEO may be a great person, but in the years I worked there I never once was given an opportunity to share input with him. As far as a manager he does not listen - only speaks.

I am incredibly thankful for my time at e.mag and believe that I learned tons from many great and talented individuals. (The vast majority of which are now gone) The tide has turned and I believe the intent of this thread is to keep valuable producers from falling into a situation where their value will be untapped.

e.magination could very easily be a leader in it's market, but it simply has been a daisy chain of knee jerk reactions and poor management decisions that has lead us to this point. I respect your loyalty to your friend, but would say that being a great person doesn't equate to being a successful business man.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

StoneHenge in Baltimore, Maryland

67 months ago

Shaun Gallagher in Littleton, Colorado said: Part 1
It never ceases to amaze me how certain individuals choose to be offended by a company or a leader who asks to get a return on their investment, and yes, an employee is an in investment and a cost, a company must get a return on in order to survive.

Individuals with character traits who believe they should be compensated for 100% billable hours but not responsible for their billable hours are typical of the burgeoning "Entitlement Class". These are the types of employees who say, "That's not my job"! These are the types of employees who believe Government and the Employer should pay their Health Care costs and refuse to acknowledge it is a cost and an investment that needs to get a return on.

To be clear:
- It is every employee's job to convey the Value it creates to it's Customer! That is Selling and everything starts with a Sale!
- It is every employee's job to understand how he/she creates value for the Customer!
- It is every employee's job to understand how the Company profits from the Value the Employee creates for the Customer!

Can you explain why there has been a mass exodus from this company over the last 2 years? One of the prime reasons is because of a timesheet entry system that's so tedious and a complete waste of time. Imagine entering time for 5 minutes, 15 minutes increments. Not only that, but adding 'meaningful comments' to the time spent.

The timesheet system they have is more for the managers to know how you spent each minute. they say this is needed for federal contract requirements - I dont think they have a federal contract at all now.

youre getting carried away by the term "entitlement class". everyone there puts in 45 hours or above per week, but are not entitled for any overtime and comp time is hard to come by.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

4Accountability in Alexandria, Virginia

67 months ago

To whoever initiated this topic I would like to thank you for your candor. You were honest about real experiences many past employees can relate to. I did not take your post as vindictive but more of speaking the truth and telling people what to expect if they wanted to pursue a career at e.Magination.

Shaun, unfortunately your reply has nothing to do with being a past employee or customer. I have no reason to call you a liar, but at the same time your reply and "blueprint" putting points together really has nothing to do with the real world scenario. This isn't philosophical but a logical, documented pattern.

You don't have to read this thread to hear about e.Magination's tarnishing reputation. Talk with recruiters. Talk with other people in the metro area, behaviors and patterns are real, not personal relationships with the owner or hypothetical producers and looters - - they speak to NOTHING in relation to the actual day to day activities of the company.

I too, am a past employee of e.Magination. I have since moved on a senior role as have many of the people I stay in contact with. Saying "producers" stay at e.Magination, as already mentioned is short sited and I see it as a personal defense mechanism - - but end of the day, how a business carries itself and treats its employees is not based on this.

I have to agree with the other comments posted here. e.Magination was one of the worst companies I have worked for regarding management and personal growth. I did learn a lot, but what I learned was utilized at OTHER companies or after I left.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Thankful in Baltimore, Maryland

67 months ago

I am also a past employee of e.magination and I can say, without any reservation, that it was the worst experience of my career.

I initially found Shaun's comments to be insulting because I was and continue to be a high-performer and have never had a sense of entitlement about my work. I take great pride in the quality of work I produce and found it impossible to reconcile the fact that I could not deliver on promises made to clients.

After my initial reaction, I realized that Shaun has no basis to speak on the experiences of e.magination employees and is simply trying to show that he can repeat terms taught to him by consultants. While it is certainly good that he had a positive result from working with e.magination, his experience is the exception to the rule.

I thank whoever started this thread. I hope others find it and avoid this organization like the plauge. I was warned and did a Google search to see if I could validate the warning. Hopefully people find this and continue their employment search. Good luck to all you ex-employees and may your future be bright!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Me in Columbia, Maryland

67 months ago

Shaun, your message reads of the same emagination rhetoric that any other attention deficit D.R. rambling would read. At the very least, I suspect you have stake in the companies well being.

A number of us have gathered here to discuss potential flaws in emagination for potential job seekers to be aware of. As you state from your vantage point, "it appears the ?Producers? have stayed with the Company." If this were the case, wouldn't one of them have responded by now while the company is in a state of distress? Trust me, we talk; they know about this post.

You find it disrespectful that somebody posts a truthful message that acknowledges the real emagination atmosphere. I find it disrespectful that you would refer to departed staff as a "looter". Like has already been pointed out, many of the staff that has left emag did so because they were frustrated by the lack of respect and the extreme burden placed on their personal lives by impossible deadlines. Many of those same people, as also previously stated, have moved on to extremely successful. Perhaps it was emaginations short sightings, which ultimately lead them to fail to see the value of their own investment.

By emagination standards, I was employed with the company for a long time. In that time, I witnessed a number of people come and go --more so than any other company I've worked for. That is not saying that all of the people that left were without merit, but the number of good people that have left the company far outweigh the bad.

<Edited by Host: Personal attack removed>

Guess Me in Seoul, Korea, Republic of

67 months ago

Now (after Shaun comments) it is obvious that e.magination management is watching this thread. I would like to take this chance and ask couple of questions.

How can you expect us to work more than 40 hours and not report in timesheet? do not say you don't expect it, I can give you more than 100 instances where some of your Project Managers and some Tech Council members have asked us to do it.

Mr.Shaun (or whoever) - we will not expect to be compensated 100% if emagination would not have hired us as full time employees. It is emagination's job to find us billable work; if there is no work what do you expect us to do? Many a times I have used my PTO hours because emagination failed to find billable work. If you don't want to pay us 100% then set the expectations right, tell this fact to all your present employees and future employees before joining. You are right about - "everything starts with a Sale!" but unfortunately we don't have any sales people for past couple of years.

Do you know how arrogant some of your Tech Council members are? and how they treat their team members? DO you have any control on them?

Even after reading so many comments (from above) and their votes do you still think e.magination is good place to work? How can you justify it?

Producer 1 in Columbia, Maryland

67 months ago

Ok guys, lets keep the comments clean & polite.

We all know that there is a problem but how can we improve? What can be done to improve the work environment at emagination? I would like to hear from ex-producers & also from producers.

-Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Prior Customer in Tampa, Florida

67 months ago

My company signed a contract with eMagination because they were the lowest bidder. Unfortunately, we got what we paid for. Delivery of our project was about six months behind schedule, which left us unable to participate in a seminar that was critical to our business market. Furthermore, eMagination approached our staff about 40% through the projects life cycle to request TWO TIMES the original projected budget. After reading posts from their staff, it is becoming more clear as to why.

As a former client, I would not recommend.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Im still Here in Baltimore, Maryland

67 months ago

OMG what a bunch of cry babies! You say you enjoyed working with the people and have nothing against them yet you forget that some of us still work here, BY CHOICE. Sounds to me like you got canned and now its pity party time. How unprofessional can you all be? Look in the mirror, do some self inventory, maybe you are mad because you did not make the cut? Maybe we got tired of hearing you moan and complain but do nothing to fix it. Maybe you collected a check for 6 months and closed not one deal, maybe you lied on your resume and did not have the skills you represented? Maybe you did not go the extra mile in a time when the company needed you the most? Maybe your negative attitude had something to do with it? Maybe some of you were let go because our economy is in the toilet and times are tough. Look around, e.mag is not the only company tightning the belt. Maybe e.mag is not the real problem here. Grow up boys and girls, it?s time to move on.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Nope in Dallas, Texas

67 months ago

Wrong. I left because they were sick of the same shenanigans and broken promises. Perhaps you are the tech council member we've been bitching about, in which case I wouldn't expect for us to meet eye to eye.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

another former employee in Baltimore, Maryland

67 months ago

i worked there for a bit, so this is funny & sad at the same time.

a lot of the comments are right on:
-- get the sale, no matter what
-- no management process or practices in place
-- management aggressive on billable hours, despite lack of projects
-- contracts signed without input from anyone
-- personalities rule, rather than solid business practices

lots of these problems stem from no communication at all levels. in my time at the company, huge gaps in comm. caused major issues on contracts, projects & tasking. the place was in perpetual "firefighting" mode, rather stepping back & facing the root of the problem. being less aggressive costs money, so they talked about it but never acted.

some of the other problems revolve around people management. some VERY talented people work at there, but many are simply not qualified. these should be moved either to a new position fitting their skills or simply fired. instead, others are forced to make up the work, fix problems, work extra on deadlines, etc. much negativity revolves around the unfairness, people not doing their job & no accountability. this happens at a LOT of companies, but in smaller environments with hectic deadlines, it's magnified. it's tough to work late hours & see others goofing off while complaining about being overworked. i am not suggesting a "labor camp" work environment. fun is good, but when the workload is imbalanced & management does not enforce responsibility/accountability, people get pissed & leave.

a company needs to create a fair working environment, which is a monumental task. but if you don't even try, plowing forward in spite of the massive problems, you're done for.

the company had a lot of potential, given some of their core selling points of usability, creating user centered software. but given the current state, i don't see much changing & not a bright future for the company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

You are Sick in Baltimore, Maryland

67 months ago

You are still there because no one else will pay you so much. Ask yourself "are you worth it?" try getting another job with the same pay you get now.

How many companies out there has fired more than 100 people in 2 years? especially if the company strength itself is much less than 100?

With that kind of attitude not doubt no one likes working with you.

Im still Here in Baltimore, Maryland said: OMG what a bunch of cry babies! You say you enjoyed working with the people and have nothing against them yet you forget that some of us still work here, BY CHOICE. Sounds to me like you got canned and now its pity party time. How unprofessional can you all be? Look in the mirror, do some self inventory, maybe you are mad because you did not make the cut? Maybe we got tired of hearing you moan and complain but do nothing to fix it. Maybe you collected a check for 6 months and closed not one deal, maybe you lied on your resume and did not have the skills you represented? Maybe you did not go the extra mile in a time when the company needed you the most? Maybe your negative attitude had something to do with it? Maybe some of you were let go because our economy is in the toilet and times are tough. Look around, e.mag is not the only company tightning the belt. Maybe e.mag is not the real problem here. Grow up boys and girls, it?s time to move on.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

You are Sick in Baltimore, Maryland said: You are still there because no one else will pay you so much. Ask yourself "are you worth it?" try getting another job with the same pay you get now.

How many companies out there has fired more than 100 people in 2 years? especially if the company strength itself is much less than 100?

With that kind of attitude not doubt no one likes working with you.

First I am not the person you think I am, I actually had a problem with the Tech Council as well, FYI it has been disbanded for some time now. So you are a little out of touch. Second, I don't have to ask myself "am I worth it", I am. I'm still here, you're not. All the people that are still here "are worth it." Last item, get a grip, don't you watch TV or listen to the news? There are plenty of companies that have let a large number of employees go, actually some of them have to close up shop. Did I mention we are still here, open for business, signing contracts, producing?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

This Is Fun in Baltimore, Maryland

67 months ago

www.govexec.com/features/0208-01/0208-01s2.htm

Gotta tell ya, the list of successes has been growing this year.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Laughing in Baltimore, Maryland

67 months ago

That article is for a project that is over 2 years old...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

Laughing in Baltimore, Maryland said: That article is for a project that is over 2 years old...

And they are still a client. Happy I might add.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Laughing in Baltimore, Maryland

67 months ago

That makes one. Got any more? For a company that has been around since the early 90s, one happy customer says volumes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Moving On in Dallas, Texas

67 months ago

Well, this has turned into quite a thread here. While "Still Here" is happily employed by e.mag I think it is good to have a cross section of opinions here. The original intent of this post wasn't to defame or denigrate any individual past or present at e.magination. It was intended to serve as a warning for potential future hires that there has been an increasingly large amount of turnover and internal strife at the company.

Just reading the above comments makes it pretty obvious that this isn't an isolated disgruntled ex employee, or an unfounded attack on the company. At the very least it is a sure sign of warning for someone looking to work in an environment where they can succeed and hit the ground running.

I applaud all of the talented people who remain at e.magination. If it weren't for these individuals there would be no company to discuss. I believe it is true that the remaining people are sure fire producers, but I hope that they know that there are plenty of places where they could produce with much less stress and anxiety.

To say everyone who left is not a producer is a textbook example of denial. I know that e.mag could turn things around and once again be viewed in the highest of regard if the ship were to be righted. Unfortunately, instead of changing course the chosen direction has been to throw as much overboard as possible to stay afloat.

It pains me that this thread could have a negative impact on the people that work at e.magination, but I also know that I have not spoken to one former employee who hasn't found themselves happier and healthier upon their departure.

Much like you'd warn people of a traffic jam or restaurant with lousy food this thread is a warning to job seekers in a topsy turvy economy of the risk involved in working at e.magination.

Good luck to everyone

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

And one we are just finishing another huge effort for... and have another effort in the works.

And what do you know, we did it without salespeople who don't sell, MOSS developers who can't spell MOSS and unbillable flyer makers and usability experts!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Producer 2 in Baltimore, Maryland

67 months ago

For all producers : I suggest lets use our intranet not public domain.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

I don't think I said "everyone that has left is not a producer" I said some were let go because they did not produce and some let go because times are hard. This is not a traffic jam or a resturant. This is our lives, we have mortgages and bills to pay just like you do. Taking cheap shots at us just to make yourselves feel better is plain wrong.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

cheapshots imply untruthful statements, which is something I have not really seen. Unfortunately, some people have made implications about individuals and that is regrettable. If nothing else this thread serves as an example that what comes around goes around, and disrespect breads discontent. People treated respectfully and professionally would not foster the need to share their experiences with others as a warning.

67 months ago

muchHappier in Columbia, Maryland said: cheapshots imply untruthful statements, which is something I have not really seen. Unfortunately, some people have made implications about individuals and that is regrettable. If nothing else this thread serves as an example that what comes around goes around, and disrespect breads discontent. People treated respectfully and professionally would not foster the need to share their experiences with others as a warning.

No, a cheapshot is kicking someone when they are down.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Still in Baltimore in Columbia, Maryland

67 months ago

And that ONE happy client will be very good to have. It will make the company worth just a little bit more when they sell it.
So at least some people will get something back on their investment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

Have to disagree. I have seen enough employees disrespect this and other companies to understand there are two sides to every coin. I can think of a dozen people off the top of my head who have been let go because of incompetence. The same incompetence the original poster claims about the company. Should the company create a thread called "don't hire these people"? How would that be received?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

Im still Here in Baltimore, Maryland said: No, a cheapshot is kicking someone when they are down.

Well ask yourself this, has my company taken cheap shots at any of it's past employees? I know of at least 10-15 people who'd say e.magination has done plenty of kicking.

67 months ago

This Is Fun in Baltimore, Maryland said: Have to disagree. I have seen enough employees disrespect this and other companies to understand there are two sides to every coin. I can think of a dozen people off the top of my head who have been let go because of incompetence. The same incompetence the original poster claims about the company. Should the company create a thread called "don't hire these people"? How would that be received?

Exactly...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

The Flyer Maker in Columbia, Maryland

67 months ago

That is not a fair comment. I was just emailed this link and this comment really hurts my feelings. I gave 110% when I was at e.magination. I even did my part to try and improve employee morale when recent events started hitting the fan. Since I was let go I have always held the staff at e.magination (those who are still there and those who have moved on) in very high regard. It truly bothers me that a fellow team member thinks this (see below) of the work myself and my team members did.

I wish the people at e.mag the best. The last thing I want is for them to be in my position. And if e.mag is experiencing wins, especially on the limited staff they have, I commend them.

However, to the person who wrote this, use caution in your tone. I was a producer and I held one of those positions you mentioned below. Not everyone who was let go was not a producer.

Furthermore, set an example to your team that is left. Your comments lead one to believe that your team is expendable and replaceable. The last thing you need is to is come across as an arrogant dictator who is the smartest man in the room. That is no way to lead a team.

For all those e.magers past and present I wish you all the best.

-The Flyer Maker.

This Is Fun in Baltimore, Maryland said: And one we are just finishing another huge effort for... and have another effort in the works.

And what do you know, we did it without salespeople who don't sell, MOSS developers who can't spell MOSS and unbillable flyer makers and usability experts!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Current Producer (for now) in Baltimore, Maryland

67 months ago

Producer 2 in Baltimore, Maryland said: For all producers : I suggest lets use our intranet not public domain.

Speaking for myself and every other current emag employee I know except for "Im Still Here", all the other "producers" are too busy looking for other jobs so we can get away from the e.magination train wreck as soon as possible. The emag reputation is damaged beyond repair, almost everyone can see that and realizes nothing good can come from being associated with this sinking ship.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

Current Producer (for now) in Baltimore, Maryland said: Speaking for myself and every other current emag employee I know except for "Im Still Here", all the other "producers" are too busy looking for other jobs so we can get away from the e.magination train wreck as soon as possible. The emag reputation is damaged beyond repair, almost everyone can see that and realizes nothing good can come from being associated with this sinking ship.

It?s so much easier to be part of the problem then part of the solution isn?t it? Time for me to bail from this thread, it is getting childish now and not constructive.
In closing I will say if you're not happy, leave, I won?t hold it against you and will wish you luck. But have a sense of professionalism, remember that some of us that have or had respect for you, deserve the same. Spewing negativity never does any good.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

1st Ammendment in Nyon, Switzerland

67 months ago

First, I love proxies. Lord knows I don't want to get sued.

Let me start of with a few FACTS.

Fact 1) Dan has his lawyers on speed dial. He's threatened legal action against multiple people on their way out the door at emag.
1a) he's told a former employee he cant use anything he's learned on the job at any other employer. I cant even say how many laws this violates.
1b) he's blackmailed and slandered employees directly and indirectly
1c) they've held hostage back pay for employees that have left
1d) they've threatened to take over non profit organizations
1e) they've threatened to sue people based on the fact that they wouldn't recommend working for or with emag

Do you really want to work with or for a company like this?

Fact 2) They promote the wrong people. They actually promoted a secretary to a business manager. When she had no clue about the business (as she was a realtor prior) while not promoting the developers, their bread and butter. That makes no sense.

Fact 3) THEIR REVENUE HAS DROPPED IN THE TOILET. Clients are getting the point. You burn too many bridges in the city, you have no way left to go. Last i saw they were down to 5 mil a year (from 12+ last year numbers are rough i cant remember exact numbers).

Fact 4) Average turn over is 3 months at emag, average turn over for other I.T. consulting firms is 2 years. You do the math.

Fact 5) the folks that are still there are one of the following:
5a) Senior management who dont have a clue what the hell is going on.
5b) new hires
5c) *most likely* the people that aren't skilled enough, nor motivated enough to find something better. Either their tenure is so long they have 5 weeks vacation or they only have HTML skills and updating web pages is all they can do. It's pathetic and it shows.

1st Ammendment in Nyon, Switzerland

67 months ago

5d) the reason people are still there is because they have to keep the doors open somehow, imagine if everyone walked out the door? It would be hilarious, but at the same time they would go down the tubes. So yes you are still there but at what cost to yourself and your career, you cant be excelling any, and if you are its because you're teaching youself because of the deadlines you have, not because the company is nurturing.

Fact 6) Every single person here has said it was the worst experience of their career (myself as well). All of which have said they have been happier elsewhere. Really what it comes down to is basic respect and emag has NO respect for anyone. Clients or employees.

These are a bunch of real estate wanna-be's and have run the business into the ground because they have no clue what their doing. PERIOD.

Nothing I have said has been fabricated or is slanderous. It is merely my point of view and facts perceived by me.

I know specifically that emag has lost contracts and has not been considered because of how they treat their employees and how they run their business. Truth, and sad fact.

No One in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

67 months ago

Good one!!!

1st Ammendment in Nyon, Switzerland said: First, I love proxies. Lord knows I don't want to get sued.

Let me start of with a few FACTS.

Fact 1) Dan has his lawyers on speed dial. He's threatened legal action against multiple people on their way out the door at emag.
1a) he's told a former employee he cant use anything he's learned on the job at any other employer. I cant even say how many laws this violates.
1b) he's blackmailed and slandered employees directly and indirectly
1c) they've held hostage back pay for employees that have left
1d) they've threatened to take over non profit organizations
1e) they've threatened to sue people based on the fact that they wouldn't recommend working for or with emag

Do you really want to work with or for a company like this?

Fact 2) They promote the wrong people. They actually promoted a secretary to a business manager. When she had no clue about the business (as she was a realtor prior) while not promoting the developers, their bread and butter. That makes no sense.

Fact 3) THEIR REVENUE HAS DROPPED IN THE TOILET. Clients are getting the point. You burn too many bridges in the city, you have no way left to go. Last i saw they were down to 5 mil a year (from 12+ last year numbers are rough i cant remember exact numbers).

Fact 4) Average turn over is 3 months at emag, average turn over for other I.T. consulting firms is 2 years. You do the math.

Fact 5) the folks that are still there are one of the following:
5a) Senior management who dont have a clue what the hell is going on.
5b) new hires
5c) *most likely* the people that aren't skilled enough, nor motivated enough to find something better. Either their tenure is so long they have 5 weeks vacation or they only have HTML skills and updating web pages is all they can do. It's pathetic and it shows.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Zenni in Phoenix, Arizona

67 months ago

I am no way related to emagination or any (ex)employees of emagination but I found discussion thread very interesting.

In fact I just submitted this story to digg - digg.com/tech_news/employees_taking_revenge_on_emagination_a_software_company

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Stop in Columbia, Maryland

67 months ago

I too am a former e.mag employee. Like every company that I have left, of course - I look back with some criticism and negativity. However, I know that part of the criticism is a combination of me as well as the work environment. And I would never feel so arrogant as to publicly blame the company.

For each former company - I always carry some sense of loyalty - e.mag is no different. When my resume is circulated, I want e.mag to be a place that I am proud to have on it. I worked very hard while there as did most of the individuals around me, and I want to be proud of our accomplishments.

What all of you are doing does not build pride. What good will it serve any of us to destroy our former company's reputation even further?

And for those still there - lashing out at those whom have left - are you heartless? How can you reference people like that??? Do you think they have no feelings and don't know that you are calling them out??? And for those that were laid off - they are already down - why stomp on their grave??? As current employees of e.mag, you are making the whole organization look bad by your poor behavior. And trust me - as a client - I would not want such negativity on my team. You are not helping e.mag with such a negative advertisement.

e.mag still has talented people, and I hope they regain their footing and have great success in the future. If e.mag is successful, it only helps all of us when we are shopping with our resume the next go-round.

This thread serves no purpose but to harm all of us. Please discontinue it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

TheBigPicture in Columbia, Maryland

66 months ago

I have never seen this magnitude of consistent feedback from many different people about an organization. Web 2.0 is a powerful instrument! I too worked at e.magination and I could unload my own barrage of negative feedback, but since that is covered, and instead, I’ll take in everything that was said here and address another angle.

The bottom line of what corporate America has become post dot-com and 9/11 fallout is nothing short of amazingly dysfunctional and disconnected, despite great industry strides.

First, the disconnected. It becomes very clear to many developers who have enough experience under their belt at several companies, that there are two "casts" within an organization (for lack of a more PC way of describing this relationship). There is an unspoken distinction between the manager and operational level "casts". The fundamental issue plaguing many companies is the level of mistrust between these entities and the resultant effect it has on the industry at large. This in turn leads to a lack of true collaboration and focus on problem solving versus personality and organizational structure issues that are inherent in every company. E.magination is nothing more than an case study (albeit a very strong one) of a company whose management is completely out of touch with their employees' needs and as was mentioned, in denial that such a state exists as the finger always points downward and never reflected back up to point of origin.

Second, the dysfunctional. In the past 10 years, technology and process has evolved beyond our wildest expectations to become infinitely capable and complex, yet fascinating to work in as a career. What’s crazy about this affirmation is that the more things change, the more they remain the same. Despite everything we have come to learn as critical success factors in the technology business, the bar falls short more often than not and success (however relative it is) escapes as if it part of some esoteric puzzl

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

Despite everything we have come to learn as critical success factors in the technology business, the bar falls short more often than not and success (however relative it is) escapes as if it part of some esoteric puzzle that no one can figure out. The critical success factors in any technology project endeavor can arguably be summed up by properly managing (1) Customers, (2) Employees, (3) Process, and (4) Technology. While challenges exist around every corner, this is not rocket science and the only true inhibitor to success is the people who are collectively accountable for delivering results. The tools are there, but with the increase of mistrust between varying groups in an organization, the lack of fostering creativity and ingenuity against the backdrop of real world constraints, and managing customer expectations properly, no amount of innovation will fix the problems that exist at companies like e.magination.

The events that are mentioned at e.magination are very real and I witnessed more dishonestly, backstabbing, finger pointing, and improper management of many things. But, there has been enough negativity here to cover all these traits in great detail. One person said, okay we have issues, how do we fix them? Great question and it starts with a fundamental mindset change that cascades from the top of the organization. Leadership is key to employee retention, customer management, and overall satisfaction of everyone involved in what should be a symbiotic relationship between customer and vendor. Without shedding egos, admitting mistakes, dealing with issues in an objective fashion, and not only formulating a plan of attack, but executing real change, history is doomed to repeat itself. The challenge for e.magination to rise from the ashes of former prowess is truly their cross to bear and every step towards revival starts with accepting reality as it truly exists. Take a look at how many people harbor anger towards the organization, stop having

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

Definite character limitations here! The end part:

Take a look at how many people harbor anger towards the organization, stop having pissing contests about who is right or wrong, and focus on the business problem at large.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

2nd Ammendment in Colima, Mexico

66 months ago

Part 1

This post was long time due but this thread has done an amazing job in bringing everyone's attention to the problems at emagination, Management should have seen this coming.

Below are some more major issues which were not discussed above which I think every emagination employee and future employees should be aware of

1. The contract agreement you sign before joining emagination, prohibits you from joining "ANY" of the existing emagination clients. There is misconception that you can work for the client as long as you never worked on the clients project but thats not true.

This means if emagination grows (god forbid) and if it expands its client base to all the major companies in baltimore then you will not be able to work for any of those companies (when you decide to move on). emagination strictly follows this rule and threatened many ex-employees with lawyer notices.

2. As mentioned by "1st Ammendment", the contract agreement says you cannot use anything you have learned on the job at any other employer.

This means if you learn .NET 3.5 while working at emagination then you cannot use your .NET 3.5 skills at your new job and your resume. I am not sure how can this be possible but there are reported cases where emagination management has used this tactic to scare their employees joining their competitors.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

2nd Ammendment in Colima, Mexico

66 months ago

Part 2

BTW, though Tech Council is technically disbanded (as mentioned above 'Im still Here'), but the members are still there and their powers are ever increasing. They protect their jobs and power and never allow anyone to grow. Some of the cavemen in this group are so arrogant they will make your life miserable if they feel threatened (with your technical skills).

Knowing emagination management, I am sure they will take every possible step to take this discussion thread off the internet. I just made below mirror copies of this thread (let google do its job).

Note : Some posts were removed in this thread (for personal attacks & derogatory words) some of them still exist in below mirrors.

re.flect.net/http://www.indeed.com/forum/loc/Baltimore-Maryland/e-magination-Stay-far-far-away/t89903

www.mirrorrr.com/www.indeed.com/forum/loc/Baltimore-Maryland/e-magination-Stay-far-far-away/t89903

I hope atleast now e.magination changes their way and treats their employees better but honestly I don't think the creepy guy will ever change.

Thanks to Indeed.com for providing this discussion forum and I hope you won't reveal our IP adresses to emagination.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

As to (1), Maryland is a right to work state and no employer can legally stand in the way of your ability to make a living. I don't know if legal recourse is truly possible if pursued because of the very reason that was mentioned about a previous company having many clients in the same geographical space as job accessibility for the employees who left. I suspect the courts would not side with companies in many cases and the signed employee handbook would not inadmissible. Again, not positive but this is logical given the right to work nature of MD.

For (2), that is preposterous and arrogant for any company to think it has the right to tell any developer they cannot transfer skills learned on the job to another position. The fact that this was used as a scare tactic is disturbing to say the least, but it was in fact done just like this in reality by e.magination. Management just failed to realize that Baltimore is a small town, walls talk, and developers who exist under hostile work conditions will band together and communicate their experiences.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »