I'm a US Army Sergeant getting out and needs help finding a job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

Rentascout in Manhattan, Kansas

26 months ago

I have until may in the military and will be thrown back into Boston. I'm of course looking for a job but don't know where to start. I have a very unique experience that few can match being a Sergeant as a scout but I'm afraid many HR managers don't relate to that experience. Have anyone here had experience or knows anyone that can help. I will work a month free to prove myself if I have to.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

m4gunner101 in Clarksville, Tennessee

26 months ago

Rentascout in Manhattan, Kansas said: Oh wow that completely does not look like a scam, thanks!

stay in the army man i got out in july 2011 and still no luck and i had 7 yrs in. but if anything use your gi bill and get educated lol good luck man.

Military in Westborough, Massachusetts

26 months ago

Rentascout in Manhattan, Kansas said: I have until may in the military and will be thrown back into Boston. I'm of course looking for a job but don't know where to start. I have a very unique experience that few can match being a Sergeant as a scout but I'm afraid many HR managers don't relate to that experience. Have anyone here had experience or knows anyone that can help. I will work a month free to prove myself if I have to.

When you enter the military, you pretty much start at the bottom. Now you are in the same boat---I am talking reality here. My best advice is to never send a resume. Do all job searching in person, bringing your resume and asking to fill out an application and asking questions about the company. Its the same as its ever been, really. You make that face to face contact, and it counts a lot more than just another resume in a big pile. I mean, you might as well send the damn resume to an old farmhouse that hasnt been occupied in 30 years. Cant you just see the tumbleweeds blowing? So go out and scout and you will be successful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

m4gunner101 in Clarksville, Tennessee

26 months ago

also look into unemployment because you'll be getting it for a long time because no one is hiring. you think you would have a chance having a veteran preferance but nope that stuff doesnt matter sorry lol.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

motherfroger in Youngstown, Ohio

24 months ago

they should automatically GIVE you a job for the service to our country!! Good Luck and thanks for your service

Norman Michaud in Amesbury, Massachusetts

24 months ago

I am a Navy Veteran from the 1970's and am currently unemployed due to the sale of the company I worked at for eight years with thirty experience in my industry. Here are the positive for you in Massachusetts. The local unemployment offices have good Veteran Councilors, I was not sure that the councilor could help me, I am looking a specific, limited job. But he has given me great support, in person and by email, helped focused my resume, searching Vet friendly employers, and thinking about similar positions to what I am qualified for. The second thing about unemployment is it can give you an income while you attend college or training, the councilor can help you navigate "section 30 training" using your benefits. Get involved early, see the vet councilor, it is a hard transition, but doable.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jessica Benjamin in Waltham, Massachusetts

2 months ago

Hi,

I would join LinkedIn and join a group like Military MOJO. There are a lot of companies that have specific directives to hire veterans like Monsanto, Thermo Fisher, AstraZeneca, and many more. You can also look for people who are specifically military recruiters for companies on LinkedIn. Good luck and thank you.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.