Best schools in charleston south carolina?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (43)

Host

Where are the best schools or school districts in charleston south carolina?

Reply - Report abuse

Marion Lee Taylor Jr in Charleston, South Carolina

64 months ago

Most people prefer District 2 schools in Charleston SC

www.searchcharlestonhomes.com/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

missnoel27 in summerville, South Carolina

62 months ago

I agree with Bob, private school is the way to go. I live in Dorchester District 2 and my son still goes to private school. Not too impressed with being one of the best schools in a state ranking so poorly in education overall.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

lsgchas in Charleston, South Carolina

62 months ago

Getting your kids through the public school system in Charleston is like walking through a minefield. There are very few decent choices, so one false step and their education gets blown to pieces. As far as private schools go, Charleston has a very entrenched class system, so the best private schools are very snobbish. They also contain many semi-deginerate kids from old Charleston families who are snorting cocaine by the eighth grade. I'm not familiar with some of the smaller private schools. They are probably not as snobbish, but I can't vouch for their academic standards.

Charleston is slowly changing with the influx of middle class people from other parts of the country who know that good public schools are possible. Unfortunately, the old guard is still in power and fights any sign of real innovation in the schools. Maybe in 20 or 30 years, there will be a decent school system in Charleston, but I would be very careful about sending kids there now.

And by the way, I'm a Charleston native, not a transplant. I was a gifted and talented student who went to both public and private schools. Luckily I made it through the minefield, but I saw a lot of things along the way I hope my own children won't have to suffer through.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (45) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Kelly B. in Summerville, South Carolina

56 months ago

tattiet in Summerville, South Carolina said: have never sent kids to school here, but was told when I moved here that dorchester county district 2 was the best.

We transplanted from Ohio. Just in the first half of the year we have had MANY bullying issues and even problems w/ kids in the neighborhood who just do not know any better. We are in the Dorchester II schools and I can hardly wait to get them out. Will try Mt. P public or private school only.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Bob in Charleston, South Carolina

49 months ago

Yep...same Bob as before. So...basically the conclusion is, send your kids to private school, or if you cannot afford that, then don't move here. It really is that simple...

Unfortunately, most of the private schools also FAIL because of the snobbishness, which is brought to a new art form in Charleston. Southern hospitality my ass, this is a "stab you in the back if you don't fit the country-club model" kind of place. You know, the kind of people who live for having their pictures published in the "society" section of the paper and hiding their viperous ways behind their donations to good causes.

You could gamble on one of the "magnets" but I'm not a gambling man.

We have had the best luck with the Catholic private school offerings. I am not a religious person, they just have more real people and good kids. Also, they are a little better with diversity with the Latino population being included. Also, you can achieve a better sense of community, even if you don't drink the Kool-aid.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

49 months ago

Bob in Charleston, South Carolina said:
We have had the best luck with the Catholic private school offerings. .

P.S. Replying to my own post. The academics at said Catholic schools are adequate but the community is exceptional. I take the philosophy that an excellent academic education is 80% promoted and realized within the home and 20% at school. For me, the character aspects of the school environment are paramount.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Charleston County Public School Student in Johns Island, South Carolina

44 months ago

Charleston County in the past has had terrible public schools, but they have recently made huge improvements. Your best bets for public schools are Charleston County School of the Arts (grades 6-12) and Academic Magnet (grades 9-12). Both schools are by audition only.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

Do people actually read the previous comments before adding to the discussion? That would really help!!!! Like how we already discussed the idea that magnet schools are not the answer!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

jd in Mount Pleasant, South Carolina said: Why don't you look up Academic Magnet.

Why don't you look at the previous discussion regarding magnets and why they are not the answer to public education in SC?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Charleston County Public School Student in Johns Island, South Carolina

44 months ago

Maybe Bob, other people have different perspectives. This isn't all about what Bob thinks. This is a public forum. There is no need to be rude.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

rtsmith in Summerville, South Carolina said: Wow...you sound like a 'progressive' intellectual. Hate those Southerners, don't ya? Happy to oblige. I actually enjoy pi$$ing you guys off. Progression for the sake of progression is intellectualism, right? Anything traditional and old-fashioned is downright evil? OK to destroy unwanted children who will never have a chance, but let's rehabilitate the hardened criminals who keep committing crimes over and over? I can tell your a flaming liberal...the same kind we don't want around Charleston. Why don't you move back to NYC or whatever crime-ridden ****hole you came from and stop trying to ruin the South. We never wanted you here anyway.

There it is!! Great to hear the final gasps of the old south echoing in the present. Emphasis on final and old. Don't worry folks it'll be gone soon, drowned out in only a couple of quick generations. Thank God and thoughtful humanity.

By the way, I'm a local, my family and I just never bought what y'all were selling.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (22) Reply - Report abuse

Bob's Dad in Mount Pleasant, South Carolina

42 months ago

Bob in Charleston, South Carolina said: There it is!! Great to hear the final gasps of the old south echoing in the present. Emphasis on final and old. Don't worry folks it'll be gone soon, drowned out in only a couple of quick generations. Thank God and thoughtful humanity.

By the way, I'm a local, my family and I just never bought what y'all were selling.

"Final gasps of the South?" Boy, you Yanks have been waiting for that for a century and a half. Guess what? We're still here. You won the war and got to write the history books, but you can't change freedom of thought until you manage to put chips in our heads. Now THAT'S what is probably only a "couple of quick generations" away. But you have managed to censor our speech with your so-called 'hate speech' laws. You ARE Big Brother. There is no difference. Why don't you take a look forward a little more and stop thinking all of your problems lie with the past or, more specifically, that somehow poor, uneducated white people are ruining your country?? What are we going to do when we all live in exactly the same kinds of houses, make exactly the same amount of money, never say anything or do anything offensive to anyone, are all the same color because one color might be viewed as more attractive or desirable than another, have all of our children bred via test tubes or cloning because sex is demeaning to women, have our children educated by state schools because we're not responsible enough to raise them in society's best interest, etc., etc., etc.? Won't we just be machines then (back to the brain chips above)? What happens to free will then? Old South? You bet. I'm raising my children to fight you and yours, and their children will continue to fight you. We're not going anywhere, carpetbagger.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (31) Reply - Report abuse

42 months ago

Bob's Dad in Mount Pleasant, South Carolina said: "What happens to free will then? Old South? You bet. I'm raising my children to fight you and yours, and their children will continue to fight you. We're not going anywhere, carpetbagger.

Again...I am a Southern native of many generations, so I'm not going back to where I came from, I'm just staying right here where I have always been. Not that it really matters, that is the sort of "rah, rah, go team" boosterism that got us all in this whole mess in the first place. Notice the militaristic "us vs. them" mentality that pervades?

Just not everyone here thinks like you do, little daddy. Most real Southerners are not bigoted xenophobes like yourself. We are citizens of the world and we care that our children grow up with a wider perspectives than just those in our little "holler". "Heritage not Hate" is a favorite phrase of the Old South apologists. I like to say "Heritage = Hate". Move on into the modern world, bury that flag.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Jazz in Mount Pleasant, South Carolina

41 months ago

In reading many of these comments, I am surprised that so many fail to look beyond the popular media "trash the schools" line . In such a large area, you should certainly expect to find schools at both ends of the effectiveness spectrum. In the greater Charleston area, there over 88,000 students in 136 schools. Another 11,200 students are enrolled in one of Charleston's 75 private and parochial schools. Yes, we have the bad. We also have a LOT of good - even some VERY GOOD. In order to understand how we are doing here, you need to have a way of comparing our schools to other schools. Contrary to popular perception, SC has very high standards for education. This is a fact not an opinion. It is difficult to compare schools among states because each state has flexibility in how it tests (as mandated by "No child Left Behind" current legislation enacted under George W. Bush). SC Has chosen unusually rigorous self-assessment which far exceeds most states' program demands. That is, we are tougher on how we test compared to most states - fact not opinion again. Read on. The following link is to an article that shows how states rank with each other in testing "toughness". educationnext.org/keeping-an-eye-on-state-standards/ . The authors of this article mention several points to consider. " Best of all, a handful of states continued to impress for a second consecutive year, grading their own performance on a particularly tough curve. Massachusetts, South Carolina, Wyoming, Maine, and Missouri all once again earned As." States with nearly equally embarrassing D minuses included Mississippi, Georgia, and North Carolina. Once again, we discover that Suzy could be a good reader in North Carolina, where standards are low, but a failure in neighboring South Carolina, where standards are higher."This region has been very aggressive about building new schools (Cane Bay Elementary, Cane Bay High, Eagle's Nest Elementary, Laurel Hill Elementary, School of the Arts, As

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

41 months ago

(Continued) Quite a few schools in Charleston County are among the very best in the state and in the nation as well. Here are a few:
- Dorchester School District Two was selected by Money magazine as one of the top 100 school districts in the nation. In the recent few years, five schools in Dorchester District Two have been named, "Palmetto's Finest" ( an annual award given to the school recognized as being the very best of all schools in South Carolina) and three have been recognized as National Blue Ribbon Schools. - Charleston Academic Magnet High School (highest SATs in SC) : "#1 Magnet High School in the US" (2010) out of 12,786 public schools rated by U.S. News, 2009 / Newsweek Magazine ranks AMHS 7th in the nation. US News Ranks Academic Magnet HS #12 in the nation - received Gold Medal (2009)- Charleston County School of the Arts (second highest SATs in SC) - Silver Medal - US News
As to that rigorous state testing I spoke of, this year, 22 Charleston County elementary and middle schools rated "excellent" or "good". Ten of the Berkeley's 34 primary, elementary and middle schools had an "excellent" rating; six had a "good" rating. For Dorchester District II, 7 of the district's 17 elementary and middle schools earned an "excellent" rating; seven had a "good" rating; and three had an "average" rating. None of the district's elementary and middle schools earned "below average" or "at-risk" ratings. I am a businessman with kids in public school. I have lived in the area for 25 years and have seen a steady improvement in the quality of education in our area, year after year. If my view is not strong enough to convince you that we are doing just fine, would you trust the research of corporate America? Among the primary considerations of major corporations when selecting an area to locate are the local school systems and the educational readiness of the work force. Are ALL of the following corporations just plain wrong about Charleston? Probably not.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

41 months ago

(Continued) - Google, Boeing, Robert Bosch, Blackbaud, Verizon, Nucor Steel, Alcoa, Caterpillar, KapStone Paper, Global Aeronautica, Force Protection and AT&T. They did their research. Maybe more of your readers should turn off channels 2, 4, and 5 do their homework as well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

41 months ago

Jazz in Mount Pleasant, South Carolina said: (Continued) - Google, Boeing, Robert Bosch, Blackbaud, Verizon, Nucor Steel, Alcoa, Caterpillar, KapStone Paper, Global Aeronautica, Force Protection and AT&T. They did their research. Maybe more of your readers should turn off channels 2, 4, and 5 do their homework as well.

Ok, Jazz, that was a nice long, but ultimately desparate and over-reaching, attempt to smooth over the school problems here. Let me take your last point first. 90% of the professional jobs available at said corporate entities are brought in from the outside, and only the warm body jobs are left. They don't care if those people are the product of a shoddy educational system, as long as they will accept a lower, non-unionized, wage. Let's get real, they are here because of non-unionized labor, low taxes, cheap land, and lax environmental laws.

As far as your many other points regarding school improvement, most of your stats, not all, were bounded by what is happening in our state. There is always room for improvement when you're coming from the bottom! The stats that were highlighting our performance against national standards are extreme outliers and are available to only a tiny percentage of our students.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

41 months ago

"Three states—Massachusetts, South Carolina, and Missouri—have established world-class standards in math and reading as the goal for all students. Every other state has established a lower proficiency standard..." educationnext.org/few-states-set-worldclass-standards/

I have no personal interest in promoting the schools. My children have done well in the public schools. I recognize that there is a lot of variation among the schools. It does beg the question, "why?". I believe that most of our schools provide good opportunities. Opportunities do not guarantee. Educational outcomes hinge on many things. Don't simply blame the teachers - that's way too easy. The vast majority of area teachers attend the same small pool of colleges. They are all certified using set standards. All are reasonably well educated with bachelor's degrees - about 1/2 have masters degrees. A few even have PHDs and still teach in the classroom. "Bad" teachers are not somehow relegated to poor performing schools nor are "good" teachers sent to high performing schools. So what makes the difference between high performing and low performing schools?

Consider where the best performing schools, and the worst performers. The correlation between SES and test scores is crystal clear. The schools are there to provide the opportunities. Curing the disparities that lie beyond the control of the classroom walls is an unrealistic expectation. Until all students show up ready, with solid parental support from informed parents, from a supportive pro-education community, we will continue to have a wide spectrum of performance among our schools. We have the standards in place - tough standards. We have many great schools and we will have even more.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ZMZ in GOOSE CREEK, South Carolina

33 months ago

Wow, all of the anger that is very discouraging. The simple fact that I wanted to Google recommendations for where I can send my son to school. I was better off just visiting the schools myself and using my own knowledge from growing up in Charleston. These "OPINIONS" expressed here are part of the reason progression is almost impossible in this country. Everyone that has a huge problem with the way things are ran never have a solution or does not want to contribute to fixing the issue. Cheer up folks, life is too short. I think the responses here are not personal attacks on any one individual just a snapshot of their experience with the system, nothing more.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

33 months ago

Thanks for those comments. Yes, throwing stones never does a lot to fix an issue. There are good schools in the area as well as some that are less than good. This is a similar to most areas of the country. There area that perform better than SC does - but, they are using different testing instruments so take caution when drawing broad conclusions.
It takes a little research to ensure you are helping your kids get into the right schools anywhere - including in SC. As a parent, choosing the right location to buy/rent is critical. The good school choices are available here in the Greater Charleston Area; but, it may take more than blind faith to get your child where they need to be. Parents must accept the responsibility for choosing the right schools. They do that by choosing where to live. If you choose to live in an area where you may not be happy with the schools, when better alternatives are available nearby (those other schools are very easy to identify), don't complain. Do the research FIRST before you choose where to live.
The sad fact continues that school performance is highly correlated to the income level of the parents. This will never change. Schools are limited, regardless of dedication and expertise of teachers or grandeur of facilities, to the range of strengths of their students - and contributions of the parents. Some students are simply better prepared and better supported. These tend to be from homes where parents are better educated and more affluent. Pick any school in the area, look at the correlation between free/reduced lunch and test performance then draw your own conclusions. SC has a lot of poor/lower income people. As long as people here struggle economically, the schools will struggle. In the affluent areas of town, such as Mt Pleasant, Daniel Island, Isle of Palms, Sullivan's Island, etc., the schools will continue to outperform.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

33 months ago

Here is some encouraging news: even for students who come from less affluent areas, motivation and dedication at home can do a lot to overcome other issues. Consider SOA (Charleston County School of the Arts) for example. Students audition, not based on academics as is the case with the Academic Magnet School, but based on artistic talents. Many come from poor homes. Shockingly, their academic performance ranks #2 in the state - right behind academic Magnet! Why? Motivated parents pushing motivated kids - all with a particular arts focus. These kids have an anchor to the school ( a personal "buy in" if you will) via their art interest and have a consequential inclusion into a specialized social group of similar minded kids. They love going to school - and working hard. But, perhaps a bigger factor, they have driven parents - poor and affluent and everywhere in-between - who care enough to help their kids develop talents in advance of application and who help their kids apply. Obviously, such motivated parents will/do continue to push and support through the six years at that school (grades 6-12). That make all the difference. Are the teachers highly trained or specialized any more than any other school in Charleston County? Of course not.
So, you have two choices as I see it. First, choose to live around affluent people - or choose be highly motivated and exceptionally involved with your student's educational experience (or both). Students from this area do go to Ivy league schools - they become doctors, lawyers, engineers, military officers and other professions - and most get their start in our lowly public schools. The opportunities are here. Without meaning to sound offensive... just parent up, please.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

33 months ago

In 2011 Six Charleston County high schools were honored with a Palmetto Gold or Silver award: Garrett Academy of Technology, Wando High, Military Magnet Academy, Charleston School of the Arts, Academic Magnet High, and James Island Charter High.

In 2011, 21 Berkeley County elementary and middle schools have just been recognized with Palmetto Gold and Palmetto Silver awards.

Palmetto Gold: Cainhoy Elementary/Middle; Hanahan Middle; Westview Middle; Westview Elementary; Mar­irington Middle School of the Arts; Howe Hall AIMS Elementary; Macedonia Middle; Devon Forest Elementary; Berkeley Intermediate; Hanahan Elementary; and Daniel Island School. Palmetto Silver: Cross El­ementary; Henry E. Bonner Elementary; Whitesville Ele­mentary; J.K. Gourdin Elemen­tary; Marrington Elementary; Sangaree Intermediate; Sanga­ree Middle; Sedgefield Inter­mediate; Westview Primary; and Cane Bay Elementary. Palmetto Gold (Closing the Achievement Gap): Marrington Middle School of the Arts; Howe Hall. AIMS Elementary; and Sangaree Intermediate. Palmetto Silver (Closing the Achievement Gap): Hanahan Middle; Westview. Middle; Westview Elementary; Mace­donia Middle; Devon Forest Elementary; Berkeley Intermediate; Hanahan Elementary; and Sangaree Middle.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

ZMZ in GOOSE CREEK, South Carolina

33 months ago

Thank you all for the positive feedback. I just felt if someone was looking to relocate to Charleston, alot of what was said might be discouraging to certain folks. I was born and raised in Goose Creek, I do not have "old charleston money." I have been fortunate enough to have moved around a bit and it has allowed me to be more open minded than other individuals. I just question how certain people can be so negative about the city they reside. You can bet that once my son is enrolled I will be very proactive in the management of the school board and their decisions. But thank you so much for the recommendations.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

33 months ago

Best wishes - you are on the right track. We live in a time when people would rather blame anything but their own lack of effort. Parents need to wake up and take charge. We live in one of the most beautiful, well managed areas you will find anywhere, in the greatest country in history. People who live here just need to do their part in a positive, productive way. And of course, if any can find a true Nirvana someplace else, by all means, move.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

33 months ago

We need the room for all of the good people who have discovered Charleston and are planning the move here very soon. I guess the recent WSJ article about Charleston being a top city for net brain gain - must be true! (Wall Street Journal - Charleston ranked #1 metro area with the biggest growth in percentage of people with college degrees).

katelyn001 in Charleston, South Carolina

30 months ago

If you are looking for a nice Catholic School I recommend The Charleston Catholic School. I have been sending my daughter there for the last 5 years and she loves it there. It goes from K5 to 8th grade. Hope this helped, bye!!!!

anonymous in Mount Pleasant, South Carolina

25 months ago

I am an educator and can say this - our teachers and schools are of high quality in Charleston County(and I grew up within a very good public school district up North). We have excellent public school and private school options here, depending on your preferences. That said, our students at our schools are as responsible and of the same quality as their parents - period. And the behaviors of the students make up the environment of the schools. End of Story.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

A Charleston Native who is now a mom in Summerville, South Carolina

24 months ago

Tough Choices. MTP is by far best schools, cost of living for my family would be very tight over there. Stratford surprisingly is the second best high school in stats following Wando.WHAT?! But the k-8 schools for Stratford are mediocre at best. The only schools in Summerville worth sending my kids to would be Beech Hill or Newington Elementary, Greg Middle, and Ashley Ridge High. I refuse summerville high shcool and especially Fort Dorchester. Hanahan is somewhere in the middle of Stratford and the new Ashley Ridge. So buy in Hanahan with middle grounds, buy in Goose Creek with #2 rated High but not so high scoring k-8 schools sectioned for that particular high shcool, or to buy in Summerville and send my kids to what would be a mediocre at best. I for one grew up in Dorchester District II schools and they are no where near what they claim to be, it was horrible. I was in honors programs and pre IB and i cant tell you the difference between an adverb and pronoun. Embarassing I know. Currently my oldest son is attending Cathedral Academy, which we love and adore ... the pre K- 4 grade levels are spectacular, but I cannot afford to send 3 kids to private school that = one car every year. So please some insight from people with kids who go to the aforementioned schools im considering would be a major help. Thanks. And might I just add the irony that the top rated elementary school is Howe all but the schools zoned for middle and high for that elementary school are some of the worst, and the same goes with other schools. there is no one set zone with all schools/grades scoring off the charts unless you live in Mount Pleasant. Which is mostly upper middle class. Both me and my husband come from upper middle class, but we are not financially there yet, and we want the same things for our kids as we were exposed to. So what to do? Any and all insight would be much appreciated! Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

Tough Choices. MTP is by far best schools, cost of living for my family would be very tight over there. Stratford surprisingly is the second best high school in stats following Wando.WHAT?! But the k-8 schools for Stratford are mediocre at best. The only schools in Summerville worth sending my kids to would be Beech Hill or Newington Elementary, Greg Middle, and Ashley Ridge High. I refuse summerville high shcool and especially Fort Dorchester. Hanahan is somewhere in the middle of Stratford and the new Ashley Ridge. So buy in Hanahan with middle grounds, buy in Goose Creek with #2 rated High but not so high scoring k-8 schools sectioned for that particular high shcool, or to buy in Summerville and send my kids to what would be a mediocre at best. I for one grew up in Dorchester District II schools and they are no where near what they claim to be, it was horrible. I was in honors programs and pre IB and i cant tell you the difference between an adverb and pronoun. Embarassing I know. Currently my oldest son is attending Cathedral Academy, which we love and adore ... the pre K- 4 grade levels are spectacular, but I cannot afford to send 3 kids to private school that = one car every year. So please some insight from people with kids who go to the aforementioned schools im considering would be a major help. Thanks. And might I just add the irony that the top rated elementary school is Howe all but the schools zoned for middle and high for that elementary school are some of the worst, and the same goes with other schools. there is no one set zone with all schools/grades scoring off the charts unless you live in Mount Pleasant. Which is mostly upper middle class. Both me and my husband come from upper middle class, but we are not financially there yet, and we want the same things for our kids as we were exposed to. So what to do? Any and all insight would be much appreciated! Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Summer in Charleston, South Carolina

24 months ago

Um Excuse me, but my friends and myself and friends go to private school, and i personally think that all of you people should stop automatically thinking that private school kids are snobbish,its not like we are prancing from class to class on freakin horses! we have regular classes like every other school, we apologize that our parents wanted to pay the around 20 grand! not our fault!Besides most private school kids do ALL kinds of volunteer work every weekend to help out while most public school, magnet school, and others wouldt even dare try to volunteer! And FYI genius we arent doing drugs by 8th grade... i mean seriously you idiot.. its 8TH GRADE! so why dont you stop your idiotic stereotypes and find somthing better to do with your life....if you have one.
enjoy your day! :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Wanting to relocate in Lagrange, Georgia

24 months ago

I am a teacher currently teaching in LaGrange, Georgia (hour south west of Atlanta). I am looking to move to Charleston with my boyfriend. I have been extensively researching districts and areas where I would want to teach and raise a family. I have to tell you, Georgia is no where in ranking above 40 in top states in education, but it's a really good state for educating children. I have compared Georgia to SC, and see huge differences. The biggest is the salary scale. If South Carolina wants GREAT teachers, then you have to pay for them. Also, advanced degrees above a Master's seems to be unheard of here. I was also very disappointed to see that there was not as much professional learning offered to teachers as there was in Georgia. I know that Georgia and South Carolina are very similar states when talking about population breakdowns and SES statuses. Maybe Atlanta really is carrying the state, but if South Carolina wants to be competitive, I think they are going to have to offer more to their teachers. After next year with the new implementation of the Common Core State Standards that every state will be teaching, we will be able to compare better!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Newbie in Beaufort, South Carolina

24 months ago

Hi all, I'm new to this. Is there anyone here who is works in the MCRD in Parris Island and has been doing daily commute to Charleston? We are transferred to Beaufort, SC from overseas military base and now am looking for schools to enrol our kids. Went to checkout both Savannah and Beaufort schools and wasn't impressed with what we saw and thought that Charleston schools have better educations so would like to get more informations for those who sent your children in Charleston schools district. What is a better neighbourhood to live in that has great elementary to high schools? After reading most of the comment here it seems like the Charleston School of Arts is one of the better school? Are there any schools that offer similar program too? Is CSOA in 2nd districts and if so, what is a good elementary school around that area you will recommend too?
We desperately need more informations and appreciate any suggestions and advise.
Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

pt in Greeneville, Tennessee

23 months ago

So are there any good Chinese restaurants here?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Megan H in Charleston, South Carolina

23 months ago

hi guys. I happen to go to the School Of The Arts, which has Academic Magnet on our campus. All i have to say is don't knock it till you try it. I love my school so much. i went to a private school (blessed sacrament school, grades k4-8) and started SOA in the 9th grade. The education is amazing, i am doing material that some of my older friends in public school haven't done. My teachers are all really nice and are willing to help out any time we need them to. The staff is nice and all the kids, even though they may complain from time to time like any teenager does, don't want to leave because of all the great people and staff. There is hardly any bullying. It is nice to be surrounded by people who have the same mindset as you do. I am a Vocalist and i now have so many more friends than i did before at my old school. The magnet kids are amazing too. we all get along really great. We test really high. I know my standardized testing scores put me above my grade, unlike they were before i went to SOA. So please don't bash my school because It means a lot to me and it does to so many other people. Thank you. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Mark in Santa Rosa, California

11 months ago

Jazz in Mount Pleasant, South Carolina said: We need the room for all of the good people who have discovered Charleston and are planning the move here very soon. I guess the recent WSJ article about Charleston being a top city for net brain gain - must be true! (Wall Street Journal - Charleston ranked #1 metro area with the biggest growth in percentage of people with college degrees).

Dear Jazzin Mount Pleasant: Thank you very much for your thoughtful and insightful posts in this forum. My wife and I are also moving to Charleston and we will be looking at schools for our 3-year-old to attend shortly. I am wondering if you are still looking at this forum and have any knowledge or opinion about schools strong in language instruction. We are professionals, and bi-cultural, and we want our daughter to continue her bi-lingual growth. Thanks again.

Brad in Round O, South Carolina

11 months ago

Host said: Where are the best schools or school districts in charleston south carolina?

I personally graduated from Stratford High in Goose Creek. Great school in '99. But in the Charleston area, if you want the best schools I would recommend Mt. Pleasant, Summerville and Crowfeild (Goose Creek).

Michelle in Charleston, South Carolina

9 months ago

Mark, you may be interested in learning about Charles Towne Montessori. It is the only internationally accredited Montessori school in the state. Our 5-year-old has Chinese and French weekly, and at different points has had Spanish. He has been there for about three years and we are very pleased.

Mark in Sebastopol, California

9 months ago

Michelle in Charleston, South Carolina said: Mark, you may be interested in learning about Charles Towne Montessori. It is the only internationally accredited Montessori school in the state. Our 5-year-old has Chinese and French weekly, and at different points has had Spanish. He has been there for about three years and we are very pleased.

Michelle, thank very much for that recommendation ; we will definitely check it out when we arrive.

Nicole in Charleston, South Carolina

6 months ago

We are trying to decide where to send our child to first grade in Charleston, SC. We live close to downtown in West Ashley and have to draw a good lottery number for the Creative Arts Elementary and our chances are slim. Between Charleston Day, Porter-Gaud, and Christ our King, which would be the strongest academically? My thought is that Christ our King might have the most to offer among the Catholic schools but please let me know other views. We were considering Christ our King despite the distance if we choose a Catholic school. Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Nicole in Charleston, South Carolina

6 months ago

Thank you. The distance to Summerville would be too far but I appreciate your reply. We live very close to downtown Charleston and work downtown.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Lynne in Charleston, South Carolina

6 months ago

I live in the West Ashley area, and have a child going into middle school. We are on the waiting list at SOA; I am interested in what people know about Charleston School of Math and Science and C.E. Williams--in particular, the Honors program. My child has been at Ashley River Creative Arts. Thanks, any insight appreciated.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.