MBA graduate can't get a job

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (29)

Marie in Baltimore, Maryland

49 months ago

Anonymous in Hoffman Estates, Illinois said: I graduated with a MBA degree from a respected school last November, and I still can't get a job after almost 8 months. Granted, I am trying to transition my career from the laboratory to more of a business-related role. I am trying to get into health care administration or any marketing role within the industry. Unfortunately, since I do not have relevant experience, I am having a hard time getting a call back. I am looking for entry-level or even postgraduate internships. However alot of the internships are reserved for current students. It is really frustrating because I know I have the intelligence and data analysis skills that I can transition over to the health care industry, but I just cannot get an opportunity. However, I am being proactive... scheduling informational interviews, getting involved in health care related organizations. Hopefully something turns up soon. I have had to move back in with my parents and I need to start paying back my student loans (already requested forbearance). I also don't have health care insurance. Good luck to everyone else who is unemployed, I definitely understand the frustration!

hi I am considering a bachelors degree in healthcare management. but I have no experience. do u think this is a good idea for me? I'm a little older and want some stability and security in my life. I don't want to be struggling to find a job afterwards. thank u

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Leelee in Jackson, Mississippi

40 months ago

Ha, you said a mouth full! '05 got BS in healthcare administration, first ft job was CSR at blue cross blue shield, thats another posting...didnt hesitate to enroll in a master's program. '07 got a MS in healt services administration... during my BS i had 2 significant internships. Granted I get call backs and intervies, but not the job so far. im in jxn, ms. majority of job description for health care administration jobs want management experience and/or rn or lpn license.....wth! it drives me crazy. im at the point where i will work the front desk at dr.'s office just to get "more" experience. uhhh! all i can say is kept trying.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jane doe in Henderson, Nevada

39 months ago

Leelee in Jackson, Mississippi said: Ha, you said a mouth full! '05 got BS in healthcare administration, first ft job was CSR at blue cross blue shield, thats another posting...didnt hesitate to enroll in a master's program. '07 got a MS in healt services administration... during my BS i had 2 significant internships. Granted I get call backs and intervies, but not the job so far. im in jxn, ms. majority of job description for health care administration jobs want management experience and/or rn or lpn license.....wth! it drives me crazy. im at the point where i will work the front desk at dr.'s office just to get "more" experience. uhhh! all i can say is kept trying.

Yeah I too have been looking for an "entry level" position in Health care Administration, which I have an AA in this field, and almost done with my BA in Health care Management.I will eventually have to go for my Masters, as it seems like everyone is going back because the BA is not enough. I am going to be honest, but I sick and tired of always seeing some outrageous amount of education, experience and certifications needed just to even get sniffed for an office job. For Pete's sake what is next? Must have a Phd, RN license, 5+ certifications and 10+ years experience, just to get a decent job?

I think employers need to interview new and experienced. Why? Because they are truly missing out on what could be exceptional talent,which they would not see otherwise because no opportunity is given. Yes, there are pros and cons to both. Though a fresh new graduate can be mold-able, bringing new skills to the table,and more likely tech savvy. How I look at it, it's their loss, as you do have the education, that should mean a little something, don't ya think! They always train new hires on the job anyway. All you can do is keep trying, I bet someone will appreciate you and what you have to offer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Kim in Columbia, South Carolina

39 months ago

Now adays it's all about experience and education. I'm currently working and going to school for HR Management. What I did was start looking for jobs in my field first, then I went to school. It's easier to transition when you have experience and that 4 yr degree on your resume. Also it helps to get certain certifications depending on your speciality. Get out and network on Linkedin.com and network to no end. Also be willing to relocate sometimes the city you in can be a problem too. Keep God first and everything will work out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

cookiesncream in Mundelein, Illinois

38 months ago

I believe a lot of people are being hired based on who you know so I only agree with the point on networking on linkedin.com but even that doesn't have but so much pull and actually its almost like putting yourself on careerbuilder so ones see you but 'do they know you?'.

Your best bet is to network with friends who know others in businesses or own them or if your parents knows someone in a business that can assist you in getting a job.

Seriously, in this day of time its all about who you know and if your in the right place at the right time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jane Doe in Henderson, Nevada

38 months ago

Amen sister, I agree with you 100%!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kim in Columbia, South Carolina

37 months ago

Have you thought about relocating to another state who is willing to hire you?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

leelee in Brandon, Mississippi

37 months ago

Kim in Columbia, South Carolina said: Have you thought about relocating to another state who is willing to hire you?

at this point idk. im a new mom, we have a new mortgage, hub just started grad school he's a math teacher..soo... the $$$ would have to be very good!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

phillips31 in Richmond, Virginia

33 months ago

You are not alone! I am in Virginia and I am having the same difficulty. We should look at each others resume and ensure we are sending the right messages to our future employers. It is something that we are not communicating in our status. Do not give up and just turn up your efforts. Spend 60 hours a week on your job search. Look high and low for the opportunities. Keep the strategic mindset and we will gain the competitive advantage!

Todd

Anonymous in Hoffman Estates, Illinois said: I graduated with a MBA degree from a respected school last November, and I still can't get a job after almost 8 months. Granted, I am trying to transition my career from the laboratory to more of a business-related role. I am trying to get into health care administration or any marketing role within the industry. Unfortunately, since I do not have relevant experience, I am having a hard time getting a call back. I am looking for entry-level or even postgraduate internships. However alot of the internships are reserved for current students. It is really frustrating because I know I have the intelligence and data analysis skills that I can transition over to the health care industry, but I just cannot get an opportunity. However, I am being proactive... scheduling informational interviews, getting involved in health care related organizations. Hopefully something turns up soon. I have had to move back in with my parents and I need to start paying back my student loans (already requested forbearance). I also don't have health care insurance. Good luck to everyone else who is unemployed, I definitely understand the frustration!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

john Cal in San Francisco, California

32 months ago

I think there are few methods to get experience:

1. look for volunteer jobs for local companies, especially startups
2. start your own business. online business needs very low cost nowdays.
3. forget your mba degree and look for some entry-level jobs

Here are some opportunities for mba students:
job.comesocial.com/business-jobs/mba.html

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

daniela in Miami, Florida

26 months ago

I dlike to know if you get a job as MBA in health care administration because I am enrollign right now in a mba in health care management
I wanted to enter in this field because i have been working in my home country as aPhysical therapist for many years almost 18
but i want now another field related with but seeems to be difficult
tell me if you find a job
the best wish for you!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Sharon in Burlington, Massachusetts

25 months ago

I am a MBA student. i could not find job either. Business realted jobs are difficult to get due to over supply of the MBA gradautes.
I got several interviews but never get a job. Since there are always people better than you, or similar quality as you but they might have a better connected relationship with the hiring manager.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Deanna Haywood in DFW, Texas

21 months ago

Well I've graduated with both BBA &MBA in healthcare management and yes relocated to a different state seeking a JOB. Once I went to the big interview the hiring manager wasn't interested in my education or professional background but more concerned that I was from the Mid West and not a born Texan. I was called a Yankee along with a few other words. Plan and simple put your best information on the resume. Don't over do it. Give only what they're seeking and nothing more. Be sure your resume passes that 5 to 10 second scan test. And most important do t get caught up in other people's manipulation games. Be sure to keep hour eye on what it is you want and never lie on your resume, the employer will find out. If you don't have the experience needed state how flexible and easy it is for you to learn new things and implement to organization business right away. Also I've learned managers feel when you ask lots of questions you're challenging them. So when you're not sure of the company and business conducted research before hand and only make list of questions directly related to position and showing the potential employer you're engaged and willing to learn more of the company or organization.
Also if you need to brush up on a few job seeking skills review quintessential.org.....Good luck fellow MBA holders

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Don'tbelieveit in Phoenix, Arizona

21 months ago

There isn't enough business in the US now. Business majors aren't really a productive position, that's why you get stuck with CSR type of jobs.

Everyone wants to be a boss, a big shot, but there are far too many of them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Don'tbelieveit in Phoenix, Arizona

21 months ago

Kim in Columbia, South Carolina said: Now adays it's all about experience and education . I'm currently working and going to school for HR Management. What I did was start looking for jobs in my field first, then I went to school. It's easier to transition when you have experience and that 4 yr degree on your resume. Also it helps to get certain certifications depending on your speciality. Get out and network on Linkedin.com and network to no end. Also be willing to relocate sometimes the city you in can be a problem too. Keep God first and everything will work out.

While companies aren't doing well, they aren't going to look for more people to fill positions that aren't productive. HR people don't produce anything. Companies can outsource their payroll and benefits. Managers do the hiring, so does the software programs. What are HR people going to do?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Deanna Haywood in DFW, Texas

21 months ago

Don'tbelieveit in Phoenix, Arizona said: While companies aren't doing well, they aren't going to look for more people to fill positions that aren't productive. HR people don't produce anything. Companies can outsource their payroll and benefits. Managers do the hiring, so does the software programs. What are HR people going to do?

That's not the case here in Texas.... there plenty of Jobs however it doesn't appear to matter what you know but instead who you know in oder to really break into sector of business interested in. Additionally, its that way every where. Start networking, join organisations of interest by volunteering to fundraising what ever it takes to show you're able to do the job. As I like to call it doing the job while searching for the job. Keep confident in your self and be assertive and direct in business.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

xanbro@yahoo.com in Suitland, Maryland

13 months ago

I want to start a not for profit focused in health care. I have a job in health care and I have a real passion for it. Issue have the health care side down. Business not so much. I have done well for myself off prayers, faith and always running into good people that understand my vision. I have established as an 501(c)(3), 3 board members, and lawyer. I want to connect with someone that has their degree in Business.
I'm not looking for a partner, some say consultant I say some one that likes to grow ideas. That's what I need help with. Growing my idea with a strong business foundation. Two minds are better than one. Lol
Can this be done from two different states? What would I make their position if I'm the CEO? Oh did I say we are a very small business, lets just say start up. I'm funding working full time as many others. What can I offer an MBA looking to get the big dollars and we grinding on cold cuts and chips? I found a nitch. All I need is the other have. Bussiness mind and I'm the medical mind. How can I gain the attention of MBA that way to help and the make money as we grow together?
I've come to far and invested far to much not to get over this hump.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

13 months ago

xanbro@yahoo.com in Suitland, Maryland said: I want to start a not for profit focused in health care. I have a job in health care and I have a real passion for it. Issue have the health care side down. Business not so much. I have done well for myself off prayers, faith and always running into good people that understand my vision. I have established as an 501(c)(3), 3 board members, and lawyer. I want to connect with someone that has their degree in Business.
I'm not looking for a partner, some say consultant I say some one that likes to grow ideas. That's what I need help with. Growing my idea with a strong business foundation. Two minds are better than one. Lol
Can this be done from two different states? What would I make their position if I'm the CEO? Oh did I say we are a very small business, lets just say start up. I'm funding working full time as many others. What can I offer an MBA looking to get the big dollars and we grinding on cold cuts and chips? I found a nitch. All I need is the other have. Bussiness mind and I'm the medical mind. How can I gain the attention of MBA that way to help and the make money as we grow together?

Put an ad on Craigslist. MBA's are a dime-a-dozen now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mel2004h in Bethel Park, Pennsylvania

13 months ago

I recently graduated last year with my M.B.A. In health systems management. I am currently looking for employment and would be willing to discuss any of your ideas. I have a strong healthcare background as well as education that I believe will be beneficial. Please email me at mel2004h@gmail.com if you would like to further discuss in detail.
Thanks

UOTE who="xanbro@yahoo.com in Suitland, Maryland"]I want to start a not for profit focused in health care . I have a job in health care and I have a real passion for it. Issue have the health care side down. Business not so much. I have done well for myself off prayers, faith and always running into good people that understand my vision. I have established as an 501(c)(3), 3 board members, and lawyer. I want to connect with someone that has their degree in Business.
Can this be done from two different states? What would I make their position if I'm the CEO ? Oh did I say we are a very small business, lets just say start up. I'm funding working full time as many others. What can I offer an MBA looking to get the big dollars and we grinding on cold cuts and chips? I found a nitch. All I need is the other have. Bussiness mind and I'm the medical mind. How can I gain the attention of MBA that way to help and the make money as we grow together?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jobless Banker with an MBA in London, United Kingdom

13 months ago

Anonymous in Hoffman Estates, Illinois said: I graduated with a MBA degree from a respected school last November, and I still can't get a job after almost 8 months. Granted, I am trying to transition my career from the laboratory to more of a business -related role. I am trying to get into health care administration or any marketing role within the industry. Unfortunately, since I do not have relevant experience, I am having a hard time getting a call back. I am looking for entry -level or even postgraduate internships. However alot of the internships are reserved for current students. It is really frustrating because I know I have the intelligence and data analysis skills that I can transition over to the health care industry, but I just cannot get an opportunity. However, I am being proactive... scheduling informational interviews, getting involved in health care related organizations. Hopefully something turns up soon. I have had to move back in with my parents and I need to start paying back my student loans (already requested forbearance). I also don't have health care insurance . Good luck to everyone else who is unemployed, I definitely understand the frustration!

Sorry to hear about your frustrating experience there. I think you are not alone and I think it has a lot more to do with the fact that the economy is still in recession mode. I have a background in banking and my MBA didn't help me to get to anywhere simply because not only banks are hiring very selectively, most of them would still plans to downside. To find a career opportunity where you'd enjoy the challenge and excel would then have to be dependent on your luck. There is no forever up cycle or down cycle in anything so just be tolerant and patient, good opportunity will find you some how. all the best.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tesseract in Racine, Wisconsin

12 months ago

Hello--

I know how you feel. If you think your situation is bad, try it with an MBA from a top 10 school. I have been unemployed since graduation, despite my best efforts. I've even spent thousands of dollars on private career consultants, etc. all to no avail. I, like you, am a career transitioner. I am trying to go into marketing consulting/advertising after spending time working in a totally different industry that I absolutely will not go back to (and really can't go back to, given the state of things). I am sitting here, literally scratching my head going "did I just spend 6 figures on a worthless document?" I will admit, my circumstances are unique, but I would still think that, after a year of trying, SOMETHING would have materialized (and I am talking not one interview).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

12 months ago

Tesseract in Racine, Wisconsin said: Hello--

I know how you feel. If you think your situation is bad, try it with an MBA from a top 10 school. I have been unemployed since graduation, despite my best efforts. I've even spent thousands of dollars on private career consultants, etc. all to no avail. I, like you, am a career transitioner. I am trying to go into marketing consulting/advertising after spending time working in a totally different industry that I absolutely will not go back to (and really can't go back to, given the state of things). I am sitting here, literally scratching my head going "did I just spend 6 figures on a worthless document?" I will admit, my circumstances are unique, but I would still think that, after a year of trying, SOMETHING would have materialized (and I am talking not one interview).

MBA's are a dime-a-dozen. My first job out of grad school was cleaning houses under the table.

Once I took my MBA off my resume just to get a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jobless Banker with an MBA in London, United Kingdom

11 months ago

Hello Bluetea, Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experience with regard to your job search campaign. I, like you have also spent thousands of pounds on career consultant who claimed that they are very well connected with the hidden job market and blah.. I must say that I had warned myself not to be gullible but after many months of fruitless search and in particular when my strategies ran out, I thought that was the one last dim of hope so I went for it. With a little over a month of career coaching, CV rewriting, practice on networking and interviewing skills, etc. I didn't find any kind of improvement or my odds were increased in my job search campaign by a marginal scale in any shape or form. Money has gone down the drain again. I simply wasn't told anything that I didn't know before. I have deep sympathy to your current situations although I also know that my self-pity does not lead me to go very far either. I share your pain of having spent 6 figures to obtain your MBA, let alone you had to work so hard besides making other sacrifices I would imagine. For me, my situation is just ironic and could be unheard of to many other MBAs as well. I was shown the pink slip on the same day when I reported to my HR that I had passed my MBA successfully and emailed them with my transcripts and asked them to amend my record. Not a good feeling going down the minute when you thought you deserved a bit of recognition for your hard work, it was the judgement day when you were shown the door. Now I am beginning to feel that having an MBA is in fact a handicap of finding jobs, or any job that would demand the candidate a bit more sophisticated analytical and business management skills. I don't want to go there!! I got an interesting article to share: Dealing with Failure with the MBA Job search.

www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-03-13/dealing-with-failure-in-the-mba-job-search

Hope you can find that helpful.

Wish you the best of luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Todd in Royal Oak, Michigan

11 months ago

Anonymous in Hoffman Estates, Illinois said: I graduated with a MBA degree from a respected school last November, and I still can't get a job after almost 8 months. Granted, I am trying to transition my career from the laboratory to more of a business -related role. I am trying to get into health care administration or any marketing role within the industry. Unfortunately, since I do not have relevant experience, I am having a hard time getting a call back. I am looking for entry -level or even postgraduate internships. However alot of the internships are reserved for current students. It is really frustrating because I know I have the intelligence and data analysis skills that I can transition over to the health care industry, but I just cannot get an opportunity. However, I am being proactive... scheduling informational interviews, getting involved in health care related organizations. Hopefully something turns up soon. I have had to move back in with my parents and I need to start paying back my student loans (already requested forbearance). I also don't have health care insurance . Good luck to everyone else who is unemployed, I definitely understand the frustration!

Okay, I may be a bit sadistic in asking, but which school? You're near UC and NU, that would be shocking if an MBA from either of those schools did not produce a job. And I'd hate to see the bill.

This is just my perception but most Business Admin type degrees seem like garbage.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

11 months ago

Jobless Banker with an MBA in London, United Kingdom said: Hello Bluetea, Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experience with regard to your job search campaign. I, like you have also spent thousands of pounds on career consultant who claimed that they are very well connected with the hidden job market and blah.. I must say that I had warned myself not to be gullible but after many months of fruitless search and in particular when my strategies ran out, I thought that was the one last dim of hope so I went for it. I got an interesting article to share: Dealing with Failure with the MBA Job search.

www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-03-13/dealing-with-failure-in-the-mba-job-search

Hope you can find that helpful.

Wish you the best of luck

Thank you. I always jokingly say that if I had to do it over again, I would get a boob job instead of an MBA. It would have been a much better investment.

The problem with an MBA here in the colonies is that they are a dime-a-dozen and are more of a pedigree than a degree. I didn't spend the six figures that they do now. Nowhere near.

My MBA is growing long in the tooth, so to speak and I am sure that I received it before many of my interviewers were even born. LOL! I only list it when they say: MBA preferred.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

jccameliyahoocom in Marietta, Georgia

8 months ago

Your probably white and you see healthcare is synonymous with blacks. I mean other than the doctors of course. After all, wouldn't you want your medical records, identification numbers, and bedside manner orchestrated by some foreign country diplomat? See OBAMA-CARE!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

dentalgeek

5 months ago

Try working as a care giver or apply to be care Coordinator

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

kimwerks@gmail.com in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

2 days ago

I earned my MBA in Healthcare Administration in 2011. I was working for a large healthcare network at a bachelor's level position as a social worker. They terminated me one month prior to graduation. Since then, I have worked for three different companies and have been let go by all of them. The positions were all bachelor level positions and were short in term. I apply for Master's level or MBA and I do not have enough experience. For bachelor's level I am over qualified and getting too old. I am unemployed, broke and just need to find work. I am the main provider for my family. I have the skills and education; I just need the chance.

Ruby Slippers in Las Vegas, Nevada

2 days ago

kimwerks@gmail.com in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: I earned my MBA in Healthcare Administration in 2011. I was working for a large healthcare network at a bachelor's level position as a social worker. They terminated me one month prior to graduation. Since then, I have worked for three different companies and have been let go by all of them. The positions were all bachelor level positions and were short in term. I apply for Master's level or MBA and I do not have enough experience. For bachelor's level I am over qualified and getting too old. I am unemployed, broke and just need to find work. I am the main provider for my family. I have the skills and education; I just need the chance.

Think about taking the MBA off your resume. Many have done it. I only put mine on when I have the experience and they want the degree. Otherwise, you may be overselling yourself.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.